Morning links: At this point, it seems Luck only has Wilson by a few inches

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:30 am with 32 Comments »
October 3, 2013 11:52 pm

Good morning.

> Stop me if you’ve heard this somewhere: There’s some discussion about who is better, Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson. I took a look at the two quarterbacks for today’s paper.

> takes a look at Richard Sherman, NFC Defensive Player of the Month.

> Greg Bedard at MMQB wrote about the best pass rushes and rushers of the season. Best interior past rusher so far? J.J. Watt. Highest Week 4 pressure rate? That also came from Houston, and by a wide margin. Best edge rusher so far this season? That’s actually a Seahawk.

> The Everett Herald has a post on what B.J. Daniels, perhaps the most talked about third-string quarterback in history, had to say. He was surprised by the move, and, as we talked about earlier, thinks all the rivalry stuff and knowledge of the 49ers’ playbook is basically meaningless for him inside the lockerroom.

> ESPN’s Mark Schlereth breaksdown the Seahawks-Colts game:

> A round of picks from ESPN’s experts. Eight pick the Seahawks, five pick the Colts.

> One of the columnists I enjoy, the Indianapolis Star’s Bob Kravtiz, says the Colts are in a position where they don’t need their quarterback to be great in order to win. From Kravitz:

In other words, (Peyton) Manning had to be great, week after week, for the Colts to have a chance to win football games. To his ultimate credit, he usually was, and the Colts won scores of games, reached the Super Bowl twice, winning one of them.

That has changed under the new Ryan Grigson-Chuck Pagano regime. In two short years, the Colts have undergone a complete personality transplant, and it’s the kind of transformation that figures to hold them in good stead for years to come.

“This is our most balanced team by far,” said Antoine Bethea, who’s been a Colt for eight years. “By far. Previous years it was Peyton and the offense. This year, the offense is doing well, special teams is playing great and the defense is doing good.”

> The severity of the neck injury for Colts running back Ahmad Bradshaw is unknown. He may need season-ending neck surgery. From the Star:

The Indianapolis Colts are hopeful but concerned about the status of running back Ahmad Bradshaw, a team source told The Star.The team is hopeful rest and treatment will resolve a neck injury suffered by the veteran running back Sept. 22 at San Francisco. However, the source added that surgery might be needed, which could end Bradshaw’s season.

1. I loved Chris Harper coming out of college and thought he could have an impact going across the middle and getting us tough yards similar to what Boldin has done for so long. I was extremely disappointed to have lost him when we did, especially to the Niners.

Having said that, and now gotten more familiar with B.J. Daniels, IF we were to look at it as a ‘trade’ straight up, one-for-one, I think this actually might work out better.

I’m usually pretty hesitant to make any comparison’s to Russell, but this guy seems to have a bit of a spark similar to Russell. Good arm, great mobility and speed, strong and stout…I’ll be very interested to see how we develop him. Quite honestly, I’m a little surprised that Jax didn’t scoop him up.

I don’t expect him to have much of an impact any time soon, but think it was a solid move for the Hawks long term. Time will tell…

2. trout_hound says:

Good news in the Bedard article, the Seahawks offensive line isn’t ranked last in the league. Only second to last (behind Philly).
    Kudos to Bennett for being the top edge rusher in the league so far. Hopefully he shakes off that tough hit and comes to play this Sunday.

3. ChrisHolmes says:

Well, TJack is on a one-year deal, so I guess this move makes sense from that perspective. Daniels has a similar skill set to Wilson (or so it seems), and the kid has a 4-year, $2.2 million contract. If the front office thinks he solidifies the backup position for the next four years, so be it.

They must have liked him quite a bit for that role. Otherwise this is just a bush-league reconnaissance move.

4. yankinta says:

Now we get to see Luck against a top 10 defenses. RW has been going up against top teams/Defenses all his career. This will be a fun game!! :)

5. If I read the MMBQ stats table correctly, they have Seattle’s offensive line ranked second worst in the league, ahead of only Philly’s. Sad.

On the plus side, Bennett is ranked the top DE. Sweet! Gotta brag a little–Ive been saying for years how bitter I was we let Bennett get away, and moaning that he was the versatile lineman of Carrols dreams! Boy, I got this one right (never mind the ones I got wrong, the important thing is…)…

Also, Clinton McDonald is playing like a man on fire. I have always liked the kid, not least since we finally got rid of that no-talent ass-clown Jennings in trade for him. In Cincy, he would go to the airport on his own dime/time to greet the team coming back from road games, especially when they lost, because he wanted to show them his support–even though he was on the PS and left behind. He was the only player to do that.

But he never seemed to be good enough to earn a starting spot. Im so happy to see him blossom under Quinn, and I think it bodes well for Quinn and his line coach that they are able to get better play from McDonald than we’ve ever seen. The kid is really stepping up, and is the surprise player of the year, even better than Benson Mayowa.

6. agreed Yank want to see Luck vs our defense. Also interested in how well Peyton Manning does as the year continues – didn’t really realize how soft the teams he has played against so far have been. Still, they are both great quarterbacks.

7. HawkFromDay1 says:

I find these two teams eerily similar…

Both play the 4-3 under with a Leo (Clem and Mathis). Both have committed to the running game. Both take a lot of care to ensure solid, if not excellent, special teams plan.

For two coaches who were never around each other, there’s a lot of similarity.

8. Carlsonkid says:

Sorry to hear about Bradshaw’s neck injury , that’s scary . Hopefully he’ll be OK ..

The team had Daniels in for a private workout pre-draft , so obviously Schneider saw something he liked . A bit surprised they released Lotulelei ( sp ? ) ; TE Davis would’ve been my choice for opening a roster spot for him . But I get they want to shore up that 2nd-to-last O-line of ours .

9. sluggo42 says:

I want Yanker to be correct in his assessment of Luck this weekend

Side note, anyone else notice how the season opened yesterday, and now its week 5 already?

10. sluggo42 says:

For some reason, I like TE Davis. I know he has had more than his share of errors mental mistakes so far, but if he can clean those up, he looks solid and good blocker with fairly soft hands.

Lotulie to me was too small and just ho hum, but he had some hair didnt he?

11. There’s an article that’s about BJ Daniels that’s almost as interesting for the 9er fans’ comments as the content.

Bryon Hoyer tore his ACL early last nite, an expensive win over the Bills for them but Weeden fi nished the game well. If anything (God forbid) should ever happen to RW, I feel better about TJax coming in than I would have ever thought possible. TJax seems a man on a mission.

How’s our OL been doing so far vs pressure:
    week 1 @CAR (11th in pass rush)
    LT R.Okung 0 sks, 0 hits, 1 hurry
    LG P.McQu. 0 sks, 1 hit, 0 hurries
    C M.Unger 0 sks, 0 hits, 1 hurry
    RG J.Sweez 0 sks, 0 hits, 2 hurries
    RT B.Giac. 1 sk, 0 hits, 2 hurries

week 2 SF (7th in pass rush)
    LT R.Okung 0 sks, 0 hits, 1 hurry
    LG/T P.McQ.2 sks, 0 hits, 3 hurries
    LG J.Carp. 0 sks, 1 hit, 0 hurries
    C M.Unger 1 sk, 0 hits, 1 hurry
    RG Sweezy 0 sks, 0 hits, 3 hurries
    RT B.Giac. 0 sks, 1 hit, 1 hurry

week 3 JAX (24th in pass rush)
    LT P.McQu. 0 sks, 0 hits, 3 hurries
    LG J.Carp. 0 sks, 1 hit, 0 hurries
    C M.Unger 0 sks, 0 hits, 0 hurries
    RG Sweezy 0 sks, 0 hits, 0 hurries
    RT B.Giac. 1 sk, 0 hits, 1 hurry

week 4 @HOU (9th in pass rush)
    LT P.McQu. 2 sks, 1 hit, 4 hurries
    LG J.Carp. 3 sks, 0 hits, 0 hurries
    C L.JeanP. 0 sks, 0 hits, 0 hurries
    RG Sweezy 0 sks, 1 hit, 3 hurries
    RT M.Bowi. 1 sk, 0 hits, 5 hurries

This isn’t all the pressure that RW’s faced, just what is credited to our OL. In the last few seasons of Holmgren’s team, playing man or power blkg, the OL backups played worse…

week 5 IND (15th in pass rush)
    LT P.McQu. 87th out of 94 in pass pro
    LG J.Carp. 82nd out of 98 in pass pro
    C M.Unger 26th out of 32 in pass pro
    RG Sweezy 68th out of 98 in pass pro
    RT M.Bowie 50th out of 94 in pass pro

12. sluggo42 says:

Like I said last thread, run the ball. Control the clock. THis line cant pass pro , but they can run block, so do what you do best…

13. HawkFromDay1 says:

Agreed that T-jack is a great back up and makes me feel very comfortable.

Loved watching him just rip it in preseason. When he was the starter he looked like he was terrified to make mistakes, and never looked more than 12 yards downfield. But he really does throw a nice deep ball.

I liked Lotulelei too – reminded me of a smaller version of Lofa Tatupu (of course, smaller than Lofa is wicked tiny).

14. As of now it sounds like ZMiller will be out with a hamstring. I hope as the season goes on, we can stop these damn injuries. Although they have won through these injuries, it gives me a heart ache on game days with the O-line that is out there. Without Unger/Okung/Breno and now Miller on the line, it’s amazing Russ has any completions down field. I sure hope this makeshift line begins to protect better. Eventually teams are going to stack the box and limit Lynch running.

15. Sarcasticus says:

I don’t understand what makes Bennett the top of the edge rusher list. It’s based on his rush rate of 12.4%. What is that? Does this take into account the amount of times he rushes from the interior? Whatever, I think he is awesome and am so glad he is back on the team.

I wonder if Daniels is what they hoped they were getting from Josh Portis before he went all Cinco de Mayo.

Anyone else wonder if the ‘Hawks could have come up with a better offer for Eugene Monroe? I wonder if Gus would have taken a 3rd plus T-Jack.

16. In addition to that last comment, i really hope they get wilson out on the bootleg and move the pocket for him. They can’t allow him to drop back into a constantly collapsing pocket. The offense will never get moving with this o-line playing like it is unless they get creative.

17. doubledink says:

OK, I’ve had it. I HAVE HAD IT!! It is time to close the door on yankinta’s BS.
    He says to check his past comments regarding Russel Wilson the Monday after he was drafted. Someone does and all there is is crickets. So I got to the April 30, 2012 post and look for myself. Surenuff. Nothing from yank.

He says that surely within the next week it is there. So I just spent the last 3.5 hours scrolling every post after 4/30/12 looking for a comment from yankinta. Page down, page down, next post, page down…

Now I’m on a mission to see when he actually began here. I finally found his first post on this blog.

“yankinta Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm

This is what I hope will happen:

1. Wilson will be our Starting QB for now and future.
    2. Renegotiate T-Jack contract to $1 Mil a year for the next 2 years.
    3. Trade Flynn for next year’s first round pick.”

3 comments later Duke responds with the first of his “attacks” on yank,
    “Dukeshire Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:00 pm

yankinta – You had me going with the first two, then I got to the punch line. Good one.”

further down the thread yank responds,
    “yankinta Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Dukeshire, I really mean it…. I’ve been wishing that scenario would happen since day one (when we drafted RW in the 3rd round).

We could get about 6th or 7th pick for T-Jack but we could get 1st or 2nd round pick for Flynn. Don’t you think??

Read more here:

All through the ’12 draft rehash, OTAs, the minicamps and early training camp he posts ZERO comments. His first comment is under a post that announces RW will get to start against the Chiefs and his second post is claiming clairvoyance from the beginning.

Yankinta, you are exposed for the sham that you are. You made no comments here of forseeing Wilson’s rise to greatness. You even predicted a 1st round pick trade for Flynn that you later downgraded to a 3rd rounder.

It is long past time to put a sock in it.
    Feel free to continue to comment on the blog as a civil contributor among fans, but drop your arrogant boasting of prognostication.

18. DFloydd says:

19. MoSeahawk12 says:

unfortunately doubledink, you probably just made his entire day if not his year. I’ve found yank to be more interested in talking down to people and acting like he’s smarter and better than anyone here. Making grand proclamations that usually miss the mark by a lot. He’s a disrespectful sort that enjoys stirring things up more than actually supplying any real facts or meaningful stats. Sucks you spent and wasted your time. I tried to offer easy suggestions that could help him interface with the people on this blog better, but he didn’t have the time or desire to look at it. I’ve decided to ignore his shenanigans and not give him what he wants. The less discussion of him the better and yes I see the irony of this statement. Sorry you wasted your time.

20. montanamike2 says:

I see i didn’t miss much when i was in town this morning.

21. “OK, I’ve had it. I HAVE HAD IT!! It is time to close the door on yankinta’s BS. . . So I just spent the last 3.5 hours scrolling every post after 4/30/12 looking for a comment from yankinta.”

3.5 hours? Really? You played right into his hands and let that guy ruin your day. You must be a furloughed fed with nothing else to do or something.

My advice? Ignore the guy, especially since his beef is with someone else.

Sports>sports blogs

22. doubledink says:

No problem. I am a perpetual lurker here and don’t have much value to add regarding the X & O’s of the game. I can chase out a fraud from time to time though. At least we have a starting point to disprove his claims.

Several commenters responded curtiously albeit incredulously to his predictions that day. He was only claiming a 2nd rounder for Flynn for the rest of that post. The 3rd rounder downgrade must have been later when he realized the 1st and 2nd claims were laughable beyond belief.

23. doubledink says:

I try to ignore the trolls too, but I don’t mind chasing down that. I enjoyed reviewing some of the regulars opinions at the time. It was some good reading when I stopped to browse a little. That probably caused the time to extend a little more than it would have.

We all were taken aback with how Wilson climbed that ladder. Nobody called it.

24. Southendzone says:

doubledink you just made a whole bunch of people read some of Yanker’s posts TWICE!

That’s like if you get some bad take out food, and someone makes you eat your own vomit after you’re sick for 2 days.

Thanks for nothing

25. doubledink says:

btw, no one can ruin my day but me.

26. yanker constantly changed his prediction for Flynn, he never went below a third that I can remember though. He certainly was predicting a 2nd and then later a 3rd plus a fairly high conditional pick the next year. I’d drop it if he would ever just admit he was wrong. Man up. I bet most people here would. He never has that I’ve seen. He’s claimed he did, but I’ve never seen the post. He just makes the excuse that he didn’t realize that they’d be forced to trade him because of the cap. Flynn is now 3rd string for the Raiders. Seems the league having him being of little value was correct.

27. doubledink says:

sorry for the indigestion.
    We knew he was a phony. I was a little surprised how bad/obvious it was.

28. CDHawkFan says:

Thanks doubledink, I think someone else did the same look back about 6 months ago. I thought it was MT. Anyway, he will return and not really address what you have done, he will most likely take a shot and say ‘I didn’t realize I had so many fans’ with a smiley face. I just don’t understand why others can see his BS.

29. SandpointHawk says:

Well I challenged Yankmeoff to go back further than 8-27-12 yesterday and he blew it off, now we have him back to 8-21-12 an easy day for me to remember because that’s my birthday. He’ll be back tomorrow to answer this, he’s busy flipping burgers now at the local MickyD’s…

30. DFloydd says:

Hey look at me, look at me!! I’m yakinta!! I’m right all the time. But it’s Ok I’ll finish all of my passive aggressive posts with smiley faces so you think I’m nice and not REALLY a condescending douche…:) :) :) :) It’s all good Bros :) I’m smarter than everyone here :) :) But don’t worry. I’ll be sure to send a smiley your way….here it is :)

31. Hawkjitsu says:

Wow. I thought this was the Seahawks Insider Blog. Btw, trolls eat this kind of stuff. They live off of it. Maybe we should try to starve him.

32. MoSeahawk12 says:

Actually the most talked about third string QB in history would be Tim can’t throw Tebow. Hands down.
    Love how the media tries to overhype this minor transaction. This guy can be good and all that, but won’t see the field this year.