Morning links: How will Irvin fit in?

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:30 am with 112 Comments »
October 3, 2013 1:52 am

Good morning.

> Our Dave Boling wrote about what this birthday means to Colts head coach Chuck Pagano. Pagano turned 53 Wednesday. His 52nd birthday was spent at Simon Cancer Center in downtown Indianapolis, where chemotherapy treatment began to counter his diagnosis of acute promyelocytic leukemia. From Boling:

While fighting the draining effects of the treatment that sometimes made him so weak he’d sleep up to 20 hours a day, Pagano kept up with the team via his laptop, and watched the daily videos of practices.

Dedicating the season to Pagano, the Colts, behind rookie quarterback Andrew Luck, bounced back from a 2-14 season in 2011 for a 9-3 record under Arians. Pagano made an emotional return for the final regular-season game and coached the Colts in their playoff appearance.

“It was a very emotional process,” Luck said Wednesday. “(It) put a lot of things into perspective. There were some great things that happened last year, but the most important was him coming back to coach. It was emotional – draining at times – but for Coach Pagano to be healthy was the best thing about last year.”

> I wrote about the return of Bruce Irvin to the Seahawks.

> This is cool. Sound FX from LB Brian Cushing of the Texans. He’s not quite Walter White off the rails, but he decides to start his day by taunting Marshawn Lynch for wearing a visor. They have another cordial conversation later.

> This is cool, too. Here’s a look at “trash-talking cornerbacks” from NFL Films. Guess who is lead batter? But, they take a longer look at Sherman who is much more than merely a gameday yapper.

> Sports Illustrated’s Don Banks says enough is enough. It’s going to be a Broncos vs. Seahawks Super Bowl. From Banks:

What’s that? Have you not been paying attention? Of course it’s going to be Denver versus Seattle in Super Bowl XLVIII. Duh. That Super pairing has been obvious for days now, ever since both the Broncos and Seahawks posted perfect 4-0 Septembers and proved in their own separate way that no opponent will be able to block their path to the big party in the Garden State.

> Also at SI, they take a look at the season at the quarter poll. Only one mention of the Seahawks.

> The discussion around concussions in the NFL, and football in general, continues to be an interesting one. In one of the most violent organized activities in the country, it’s expected that tough guys participate and fill their role as such. The flipside is head trauma has affected thousands of NFL players. Sports Illustrated and ESPN published an excerpt from a new book called, “League of Denial” by two well-known investigative reporters. Here’s a part about the doctor former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue hired, Elliot Pellman, to head the “Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Committee”:

Pellman’s views on concussions were perfectly aligned with NFL doctrine at the time. In 1994 he told SI that “concussions are part of the profession, an occupational risk.” Former players described how Pellman, as the Jets’ doctor, often allowed concussed athletes back on the field. One running joke on the team involved three words — Red Brick Broadway — that Pellman had players recite to determine if they were able to play after a concussion. According to Kevin Mawae, who played center for the Jets for eight seasons, “The three words were always the same. He would leave you and come back before the next series, and you’d go, ‘Red Brick Broadway. I’m ready to go.’ “

Once, Mawae said, he took a knee to the head and blacked out. “Next thing I know I’m laying prostrate on the ground,” he said. After performing a “systems check,” Pellman and the Jets’ medical staff allowed Mawae to return for the next series, but the player says “my teammates were telling me that I was making calls that weren’t even in our playbook.”

Now, I, like many of you, am merely a doctor of love, not neuroscience. But, two things seem clear: having a league lacky head your research into a possible medical problem is not the right path, and telling someone who has just blacked out and lost motor skills and memory to return to the event that caused the disrepair is also not the right path. The NFL, for a long time, did both.

> Seahawks.com takes a look at Steven Hauschka, who was named NFC Special Teams Player of the Week on Wednesday.

> The Indianapolis Star takes a look at LB Robert Mathis and WR Reggie Wayne, who are each closing in on some significant NFL marks. They are also out of the shadows of Dwight Freeney and Marvin Harrison, respectively.
  1. yankinta says:

GeorgiaHawk, don’t be so quick to jump to conclusion. Our FO really liked LB Lotulelei that they had to release to pick up BJ. BJ really is a good QB. If he was 6′ 4″, he’d be a 2nd day draft pick. We have heard this before right?? :)

Let’s all remember that our FO is the BEST FO in the League and they know enough to make this move. Maybe I’m biased cuz I like BJ since before the draft,,but this move confirms my thinking. We already know T-Jack’s ceiling is limited. I think BJ ceiling is wayyy higher,, :)

2. For all that mentioned their fear of JJ Watt last week, there has been little comparatively mentioned about Robert Mathis. Last year, in the Pro Bowl, I remember Russell escaping from the pocket causing JJ to whiff and thought how cool/funny it was. Then Robert Mathis came around the corner and I was thinking the same thing was gonna happen. Not so and not even close. He laid a hit on RW that I’ll bet you anything #3 would have no problem recalling. That and the fact the Mathis leads the league in sacks a quarter of the way through makes him my most feared Colt this week. Not Luck, Richardson, Wayne or anybody else…it’s Mathis. The other thing that I’m seriously concerned about is their crowd noise. Of course we get all the pub for the 12th man and rightfully so, however Indy can bring and they’ll be out to prove as much come Sunday. It’s going to be a serious test for Russell to be able to make adjustments in game. I think we have our hands full and am pretty sure it’s going to be a real close game. It’ll probably be our toughest game until the Saints on MNF. IF we can get by them, the 2nd quarter of the season sets up nicely with Tenn, Ariz and St Louis. I think we’re in for a real dog fight this Sunday. Hope we can pull another one out and keep the streak going.

GO HAWKS!

I’m ok with BJ but we just don’t need three QBs. especially with the chances(being good)that two of them will never see much more then mop up duty.

4. yankinta says:

I agree, I hate having 3 QB on roster, when we are having to release good players with potentials…. but if our FO is willing to pay that price, then he must really have great potential.

joreb, my worry meter is down cuz I heard Bradshaw will not play. He’s the one that I worry about since we got killed by Foster last Sunday. :)

5. yankinta says:

As for Doug Baldwin saying he believes Andrew Luck can be best QB ever,, I think he is jumping on the bandwagon. makes me smh…. Maybe he didn’t hear about JAWs saying someone else could also be the greatest ever,, and how our Defense exposed that someone…

6. chuck_easton says:

Mathis leads the NFL with 7.5 sacks. He’ll be going against Bowie and sweezy the human turnstyle.

Tell me again why we shouldn’t be nervous.

7. yankinta says:

Because Bowie now has real game experience and he’ll play better. Because Mathis will play against our LT 50% of the time and because Mathis is not JJ Watts. :)

8. Mathis vs McQ is not a pretty picture for Seattle fans. Not even with help from Miller, who is now a glorified OT who makes almost 8 million a year now. And starting one game has not brought Bowie from bad to fine; he’s going to improve (hopefully) but will still struggle.

Still, I think we can run on them, especially if RW can work the read option. They have a very good secondary, and our line wont be giving RW time to find WR’s anyhow. We’re going to have to run the ball 40+ times and make it work.

And the D has to hold the Colts to less than 17 points.

Im still hoping to see Bailey at LT, and McQ and Carp at G, with Bowie at RT. Saddest thing is Lem outplayed everyone else on the line, but will likely be sitting on the bench for this one…makes little sense to me.

9. montanamike2 says:

Good point joreb, this will not be a gimme by any means.

10. MoSeahawk12 says:

yank, Baldwin isn’t jumping on any bandwagon, he actually played with the guy at Stanford and knows him better than you, ESPN or anyone here. He basically said he is great and also said that Wilson and Luck share many traits that make them special. Maybe go back and read what coach Carroll said about Luck. He also puts Luck in a special class of QB and had similar comments as Baldwin. I’d certainly take our coach with a specific eye towards talent and a former teammate over the opinions on here.
    But good job working in another Jaws comment. I don’t think the day would be complete without one.

11. yankinta says:

MoSeahawk12, you’re right,, because he played with him in college he has zero Bias either. smh…. I don’t think Positive Pete has said any bad things about an opponent,, has he? :)

12. montanamike2 says:

Tate is improving as a returner. I guess i’m posting too fast, at least that’s what i was told.

13. yankinta says:

MoSeahawk12, wow, that’s huge. Colts running game will suffer like Giants running game suffering this year after Bradshaw left…. That dude is one of my favorite RB in the league.

14. Also, with Bruce Irvin coming back and Pete Carroll mentioning how they don’t have anyone else on the defense quite like Bruce Irvin, I’d like to nominate a nickname for #51…

Bruce ‘The Blur’ Irvin

I don’t know if his get off will be that of someone like Von Miller, but I believe that was the intent when JS and PC selected him last year. What do you think?

15. WiscCory says:

One thing being overlooked is the experience that PC has against this “Stanford” offense that Indy runs. Many simularities from his days at USC.

Best case scenario is the Hawks D holds the Colts under 17, Tate takes a PR to the house, and the Hawks Oline can create enough holes for Beast to get over 100. That might be the formula required this Sunday, and a 3 point victory.

16. MoSeahawk12 says:

sure yank, all the former and professional players, teammates, NFL coaches, scouts, and yes media missed on this guy. You have been right all along and Luck isn’t that good and won’t be a top ten QB. He is very overrated and has too much hype. However he has already proven to be a winner, leader and outside of more ints, his stats are comparable to Wilson. He does however already have more fourth quarter comebacks and the ints are largely because Indy passes the ball twice as much as us. Your ongoing bias and weekly bashings of Luck are silly and have run beyond their course. It’s been proven here that you only believe your opinion and any other differing one is based on low football IQ and people not knowing the game and all the other nonsense you put out to make sure everyone knows that you are the most knowledgeable here. One day when you grow up and get a little older, you will see there are lots of people smarter and better than you at something. This is true for everyone, including me. You can shake your head all you want, and that’s your right, but it just isn’t worth the time to discuss certain topics with you. I think many will agree, some won’t.

17. raymaines says:

So besides all of the same old stuff we’ve been yacking about for three days already…

How will Bruce Irvin fit in?

18. yankinta says:

MoSeahawk12, lol I shared my doubts about CK and RG3 before and people killed me for that here on this blog. Now look at us,, how quickly things can change…. :)

19. yankinta says:

WiscCory,, are you saying that even with those best case scenarios, we only win by 3 points? I am just making sure I understand what you wrote correctly. Don’t wanna make assumptions.. :)

20. montanamike2 says:

I think they’re both good QB’s that will one day be great. I think Shanahan is going to be canned for ruining RG3’s career. I think RW fits our team and Luck fits his better.

21. montanamike2 says:

I’m so stoked to see Irvin on the field!

22. WiscCory says:

Yank – yep. Unlike you, I envision another Texan type game – a battle with mistakes, and scrapping to get a win.

We’ll see.

23. yankinta says:

WicCory, I respect that. In any case, I don’t care how we win because I’ll take any kind of winning especially on the road,, but I do see us beating them by double digits.

chuck_easton, I believe is in the same boat as you, kind of… he said either team will win by 3 points in the last minutes of the game. Let’s be sure to touch base on Monday,, since I don’t get on this blog on the weekends,, :)

24. How is everyone doing in the pick’em? I got 12,12,12 and 7 :( sucked last week!

25. Ahmad Bradshaw is a very talented back, and by all accounts a good dude. He’s been utterly snakebite his whole career by injuries. I really feel for the guy.

Bruce Irvin will play, likely sparingly. By his own admission, he learns by doing–and making mistakes; and you can’t have that in games. I expect Seattle to play him mostly at SAM to cut down on the complexity moving him around would add; I also think they dumb down his responsibilities. He certainly won’t be playing every snap–but that’s what they want eventually.

With Avril not producing (injured?!) and our LB’s not covering well, I expect Seattle is anxious to get Irvin involved ASAP, with an eye on him owning SAM very soon…

26. Sherman just named Defensive Player of the Month!

27. WiscCory says:

I doubted Sherman’s approach during the offseason, but he just continues to gain so much credit nationally. I’m so glad, and proud, that he’s on the Hawks.

You mad Bro? No!

It’ll be interesting to see what happens at contract time with Sherm, considering that Wilson deserves (and will get) a mountain of money in a couple years.

28. yankinta says:

LVHawk, you can tell Gregg Rosenthal that His Quarterback Index formula sucks donkey balls. btw, those are not my words,, although I wish they were. :)

29. pabuwal says:

Our man yankinta has made his second prediction regarding a Seahawks QB (Flynn was the first).

30. PHXHawk says:

Is it possible that BJ was signed because of a possible problem with RW or Jackson ?

31. yankinta says:

pabuwal,, my first prediction was RW,, was on the Monday after the draft where we picked him with 75th overall pick. I said we have our Future QB now, RW is the REAL DEAL. Then right after rookie camp where RW took all the snaps, I said it’s time to trade Matt Flynn..,, that was all last year.

Then this off season, I only predicted on what we’d get for Flynn if we were to trade him. Maybe you’re new to this blog. :)

32. yankinta says:

PHXHawk, BJ was signed because our FO wanted our backup QB to have similar skill set as RW. plus BJ ceiling is wayy higher than T-Jack (we all know what T-Jack can do). There will be a competition next year for backup QB and my money is on BJ.

33. MoSeahawk12 says:

Some of you have mentioned the Sherman video and I just watched it. It’s really, really good. Helps to appreciate the man even more. So grateful that our FO drafted this guy and to see where he is after his first couple of years as a starter. He is only going to get better and I think he helps us win a Superbowl soon.

34. montanamike2 says:

Plus both Sherman and Baldwin want to punish Harbaugh forever.

Drive of the week.

BTW-Check out Sweezy starting at the 2:10 mark. Not bad for the human turn style.

36. Just wanted to come out and say that I’ve got a bad feeling about this game. I can’t say I expect a Hawk’s victory this weekend…I “hope” the ‘Hawks can pull out, as opposed to I “have confidence” they will.

Crowd noise, the possibility of TR getting into a groove with his new team (Holmgren’s recent comments about the player’s talent are telling IMO), Andrew Luck, Seahawk OL porosity, Bruce Irvin’s rust + first real action at a new/unfamiliar position, and the NFL sacks leader wearing the opposing uniform…I’m thinking they’ve got their hands full at least as much as they did against Houston.

They need to keep it closer in the first half. 4th quarter comebacks of 2 TDs+ are great fun, but not something a team can rely on. The other guys are pros.

37. WilliamPercival says:

Alright, here’s my thinking..

The window of opportunity in this league to win the Big One, much less out a string together.

There’s clear present and long term value in adding Daniels.

For the present, he’s a capable and clear talent (see highlight reel) in read option, pistol, etc.. We KNOW that our current line WILL NOT hold up as it currently sits. PC/JS know this and know the risk of Russell gettin banged up. He WILL be running this weekend like you saw in the 4th an OT against the Texans..

For the future JS has already spoken multiple times about this type of QB that has value down the road as a solid backup (or until God forbid, Russel is unable to do his thing) or trade chip. Simple as that.

38. montanamike2 says:

I really believed Flynn was going to be good because of all the raving endorsements from A. Rodgers who claimed he worked with him and would be a top 15 QB.

39. I hope this entry will be the last this blog mentioning Matt Flynn. Dude has a noodle arm and will hopefully be out of the league soon. I never liked him although would’ve supported him had he won the job here. I especially don’t like him now b/c of what he said on his way out. I’d try to google that article and link it here, but he, like his ridiculously enormous salary, just ain’t worth it.

I mean…this is a SEAHAWK blog and not a Flynn du jour.

GO HAWKS!

40. yankinta says:

41. MoSeahawk12 says:

I agree with you montanamike2. I was happy we signed him and felt he was going into a good situation and would thrive here. Obviously that wasn’t the case. I think A Rodgers over sold Flynn to help out his buddy. As we all know since we learned that Favre didn’t do much to help out Rodgers when it was his turn.
    We still hit the lottery with Wilson and Flynn made his millions and will be a mere footnote as a Seahawk.

42. Georgia – thx for the great video! Nice breakdown of the drive and yes – Sweeney did his job. Hopefully will do more of the same as the season wears on.

43. I had forgot we rec’d a 5th round pick next draft for Flynn. Not bad considering our success drafting in the later rounds. Does anyone know what the ‘conditional’ pick in 2015 turned out to be, or is that dependent on his performance this year?

44. sluggo42 says:

Lessee, what was the topic again…/ ? oh Ya. Irvin… At sam….yup. I see all hell breaking loose with him at Sam, becoming a monster. He won’t be lining up against tackles and guards anymore. He will be our Von Miller, but better. I see a whole new wrinkle of him streaking past lineament already engaged with another hawk. Its gunna be ugly for the other guys…

45. sluggo – agree with you in Irvin. I just hope they break him in slowly as he hasn’t played for a month and is coming off a pulled groin. Play him 10-15 snaps max.

46. Georgia–Yes, Sweezy occasionally makes a good block–usually in the run game. But he’s far from consistent, and overall is still a very bad offensive lineman. He has so far to go, down looks like up.

47. Play him for whatever he is ready for!!! the pulled groin was over a month ago!!! he played a TON in his last action in the Pre_Season.

My only worry is the timing and remembering of assignments – If he is picking up on that in Practice I expect to see him a decent amount.

Yankita says-

“pabuwal,, my first prediction was RW,, was on the Monday after the draft where we picked him with 75th overall pick. I said we have our Future QB now, RW is the REAL DEAL”

Here are all the comments on the Monday after the 2012 draft. Interesting.-

49. yankinta says:

Lol, it might have been sometime that week. Could you please post the rest of the week? And the Monday after the rookie camp,, when Duke and many others called me crazy for wanting to trade Matt Flynn so soon…

BTW- JJ Watt had 1/2 a sack for the game.

Even though the O-line struggled on the road for the first 3 qtrs of the game against a good defense I liked how they weathered the storm and got better in the end when the game was on the line.

Last thing I want the FO doing is playing musical chairs with the O-line each week. I like what there doing by keeping them in there so they can develop chemistry together.

51. xcman – all I’m saying is he had a groin injury and he hasn’t practiced for a month. Seems like the pulled muscles seem to happen when a player hasn’t practiced for awhile. I’d just hate to finally get him back and then lose him.

52. You have never been able to produce the comments you never made!!!!! if you want to prove you said them link them yourself – until everyone knows you didn’t make them prove us all wrong.. otherwise we have to SMH at all the lies.

53. yankinta says:

No, I do not want to nor do I feel the need to prove to anyone. Sorry dude, you can do the work if you wanna prove me wrong…. :)

Yankita, have you ever heard of this guy?

55. Georgia–Yes, the line got better–after the D went into prevent mode, and AFTER Cushing left the game. This line isnt going to pick up where it left off in OT last week, its going to resemble how it performed the first three quarters of that game.

Watt only got 1/2 a sack, but he totally disrupted EVERYTHING. The guy wreaked havoc as I have rarely seen. Did you read Carrols comments regarding his play? He hasnt gushed about another player since he slobbered all over Harvin last year after we beat Minny. You seem to be in love with stats, but if you think Watts performance was accurately measured by his 1/2 sack, then you really are living in a dreamworld.

Develop chemistry?! Sweezy cant figure out who to block, let alone HOW to block them. McQ has lost a step and is horrible at LT. Carp fell apart, dont know what his deal is. You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear–even if the line finds chemistry, the fact that Sweezy is mentally and physically unable to pass pro, and McQ is just physically overmatched at all times, not to mention that Bowie is a rookie and Carp is still fat will ensure that they still suck. They may suck in unison, but they will still suck.

Leaving your best currently healthy lineman on the bench when the line is playing so poorly is just asinine.

56. We dont have 4 years to wait for Sweezy to figure it out. This year is our best shot at winning it all for about 3 years. Now or never.

57. WilliamPercival says:

Boom, Yank-A-Dank, you are now suspended for one week for not being responsible or accountable on the blog. Good Bye

58. Somewhere I saw it mentioned that Michael Bennett is rated the third best DE in the entire NFL. I cant remember which stat geek site ranked him that high, but I think thats pretty cool. That doesnt even take into account just how well he’s played at DT, either!

Bennett has quickly become perhaps our most important D-lineman. He’s even more important than Mebane, which is really saying something. Mebane has been the glue that held this line together since the eighth game of his rookie year, when the lightbulb came on for him.

59. yankinta says:

WilliamPercival, lol that’s a good one. :)

GeorgiaHawk, So if I can prove it, what’s in it for me? Gotta be more than getting your approvals, cuz that doesn’t mean much to me. What else are you willing to offer? :)

I think we will be in the hunt for the next decade. However that doesn’t mean I’m not all in for winning it now.

61. montanamike2 says:

It will be huge if Unger is able to play.

yankinta, If you can prove it (and it has to be your current username) then I will take a leave from this blog for the rest of the season.

Or if Dukeshire agrees to it, he will run naked down the streets of Portland only with your name written on his chest and back.

If it’s from another username, I have a cheap case of beer I could send you.

63. yankinta says:

GeorgiaHawk,, Nooo, I like your contributions to this blog so why would I even want that?

64. yankinta says:

lol, I don’t have any other user names… :)

65. yankinta – maybe you can find this Russell Wilson prediction for us. You like to tell us to watch and learn frequently and as far as I can tell, it’s all based around this Russell Wilson prediction you made during the Draft.

I remember sitting on the Draft Chat with the regulars that night. Some hated the selection, some loved it – but I don’t recall you there at all.

Yankinta, Why do I have this feeling you could be Divish?

67. yankinta says:

pabuwal,, it is true that I wasn’t a regular on this blog before. To be honest, I only started coming here regularly after people attacked me about my beliefs for RW from day one. I have a lot invested in RW cuz I watched a lot of college football to see who could be our Stud QB for the future and he stood out ot me a lot. So it’d be difficult to find my posts during that draft or before that draft. :)

68. ChrisHolmes says:

“STTBM- I see where you are coming from now. Thinking that our window of Super Bowl opportunity is short lived would cause me to panic too.

I just don’t see it that way at all. This team is way too young for me to put most of my hopes on this season and the next two.”

It’s not just the youth, it’s the structure of the organization from the top down. We’re building a franchise in the mold of a collegiate program from the standpoint that the front office anticipates and expects player turnover. And they’re going to draft well and be smart in free agency so that we’re continually loaded.

Patriots have been doing this for years. They know who the key cogs in the machine are and they build around those guys. When it comes time to re-sign a guy they’ll let him go if he doesn’t fit their budget. It’s a hard part of the business, but the model clearly works.

Some of the guys we love on this team aren’t going to be with this team in a couple years. We’re going to have to live with that. But we have some pretty awesome key guys now – guys we can build around every year forward for a long time – and we’re going to be in good shape because our front office knows how to mine the draft and free agency.

I certainly want them to win it all this year. But that’s because I think they CAN win it all. I’ve never seen a Seahawks team this deep in talent, or a Seahawks defense this stifling. We’ve never had a quarterback this dynamic, and we have a runningback who is a beast… We have weapons.

We might have a small window for *this group* of weapons, but as a franchise, I think we’re positioning ourselves really well for the next decade.

69. MoSeahawk12 says:

yank earlier comment- joreb, completely agreed!! People keep bringing it up to call me out cuz that’s like the only thing that they can use to call me out on. smh…

Actually yank, they have many things to call you out for, including your boastful self proclamations that have often missed the mark. The way you discount and disrespect anyone on this blog that doesn’t agree with your opinions, proclamations and predictions. Calling people “new to football” or “amateurs” if they offer differing facts that support the other side of your one sided argument. They fact that you never own up to being wrong, and you have been. Your singular and ongoing attacks on ESPN, Jaws, Luck and anybody that doesn’t put Russell Wilson as the best QB ever have been played over and over and over and…..you get the point, maybe.

You have become the resident Whack-a-Mole here and many have taken turns knocking you down, including myself. You make it very easy. In a odd way, I think you like the attention and enjoy running into the same wall over and over again. Must be fun in your world.

But I can help if you actually take the time to read and listen. Didn’t go with the “watch and learn” as that’s another one of your boastful deals. The reason you keep getting called out on the Flynn deal of guaranteeing we would get at least a third round if not two for Flynn is that you were wrong, have been wrong and are still wrong. Yet, you won’t step up and say, fellas I guessed wrong. You over valued his worth based on your opinion of him. That happens, we all like certain players more than the next guy and as reality would have it, none of us work in the NFL drafting players for real. Guys would drop this and probably never give you crap about it again if you would just step up and admit that you were wrong. All this dodging and not answering questions, not providing any proof or owning up to what you really said is why people keep calling you out.

Show a little humility and admit you were wrong and I’m pretty sure guys will move on and get back to why were really here. The Seahawks.

In another post you mentioned that you are “I’m all about having facts based/mutually respectful discussions. It’s my policy to never throw the first punch.” This has been far from the truth as you generally show disrespect for most here. Again, trying to help but the odds are you don’t care, won’t listen as that seems to be your deal.

It’s easy if you want to have people stop calling you out. Treat people with more respect, show a sliver of humility and understand you are not the smartest, most knowledgeable one here as there are lots of people that have been involved with football, live football and have access to all the stats that you do and more. Own up to it when your wrong. We have all been wrong and all will be again. Hiding behind false statements make you weak and devalues your opinions.

That’s it. Does any of what I said matter? Not really. You as anyone here can say, act, and write pretty much whatever they want. Good luck.

70. yankinta says:

MoSeahawk12, lol that was too long. I only read the first paragraph… sorry :)

71. ChrisHolmes says:

Yankinta should change his username to Firenze. He spends far too much time and effort trying to prove to everyone that he’s clairvoyant.

72. hawkdawg says:

Don’t agree that Avril is “not producing”. Two sacks in three games, coming off an injury, with 2-3 deflections, a caused fumble? I’ll take that.

Hugh’s analysis of Sherm’s pick is indeed excellent.

73. MoSeahawk12 says:

Not surprised yanker. Many here have offered suggestion that could help. It’s pretty clear you don’t care and enjoy the attention. I will refrain from engaging you on this blog and that should reduce the noise.

74. yankinta says:

GeorgiaHawk,, WOW Thanks a lot!! that made my day today… sooo cute!!

75. yankinta says:

MoSeahawk12,, I am not interested in proving myself or going back and forth about which one of us is right and isn’t. I’m only trying to contribute to this blog with some cool articles I read and express my opinions. I know no one really cares what I think. So I think you should just chill and enjoy the season. We’ve been waiting for a season like this for a long time.

76. yankinta says:

Wow, they released Freeman?? I wish we could bring him on!! But there’s no way we carrying 4 QB on roster…

77. chrisholmes – very well stated and I totally agree. Cutting MRob and adding BJ Daniels are right in line with this philosophy. Unfortunately we always have to consider salary cap to enable us to maintain a competitive team every year. Daniels will not help this year (unless we have an injury) but he fits what we want next year and beyond both in ability and salary. The front office is making some tough calls that unfortunately hurts the present but sets us up better for the future. I see some of the

78. I see some of the ‘New England’ model as well

79. Screensmoke says:

Trying to wrap the thought of cliff avril not performing?in 3 games he has 2 sacks and 3 pass deflections- not performing I’m not seeing that at all!

80. THe work has been done and PROVEN that you never made those comments BY MULTIPLE PEOPLE. We only use the facts – smh that you don’t understand that

81. I know no one really cares what I think. . . . . Actually I do care what you think – you have contributed a number of cool things – but when you are wrong – move on or face the fact you were wrong instead of making the same claims over again.

82. Ewalters7354 says:

STTBM,Sweezy is still learning and getting a feel for the position.But you just blasted everyone on the line.And how has Avril not been producing?I don’t get it bro.If you are looking for a perfect team with All Pros at every position then maybe you should wait for the Pro Bowl.Because last time I checked the Hawks were 4-0 and beat some damn good teams so far.The Colts meanwhile struggled with a bad Oakland team and started slow against the worse team in the league.The hawks have proven to be a team that can win even being short handed.Are you not happy to be 4-0??

83. On Avril: two sacks in three games playing injured is fine. But thats the thing–he’s notorious for always being dinged up. From my perspective, Avril has been nearly invisible a lot of the time.

Chris Clemons had more tackles vs HOU than Avril has in the three games he’s played in.

Of course, there’s lots of football to go. But even coming off a severe injury at 30 years old, Clemons is by far the better player. Im hoping Avril is just not 100%–and will be soon–and is still learning the system. I am glad to have the guy, just thought he’d be more dominant. Play in, play out, he just doesnt show up like Clemons.

Now, that said, Im really looking forward to watching Seattle throw Clemons, Avril, Bennett, and Irvin at the qb on pass rush situations. THAT should be as scary as having to block JJ Watt.

84. Ewalters7354 says:

Clem is a better player because he’s been in Pete’s system for 4 years.They also seem to play different spots.Avril most time is lined up at LDE and sometimes SAM.Clem is strictly LEO.I believe if Avril was starting LEO he would blossom just as much if not more than Clem.Just saying…

85. Ewalters–I would be much happier if we were 3-1 or even 2-2 IF the offensive line was playing at an avg level. Why? Because this offense cannot function (ie, score enough points to win) without avg pass pro and slightly above avg run blocking. And if we cant pass because our line cant pass pro, teams will cheat up and stuff the run as well. Its already a problem. And sooner or later, Seattle will lose and teams will copy what worked and Seattle may fail to live up their potential..This line is the achilles heal on the greatest team I have seen in 30 years of watching football. The sad thing is, this is one of the 5 worst offensive lines, IMO, and that could ruin the season.

Again, I understand that this line lost its C and LT, their two best players. But the fact is, the line wasnt playing well with both those guys in there.

Compare that with Denvers line, which lost TWO C’s and their LT, and yet they are performing. If Manning had our line, he’d be paralyzed. If we had anyone other than Lynch carrying the ball, or RQ at qb, this offense would score zero points a game; and the O-line would glaringly be the worst in the NFL. Those guys make this line look much better than they are–and they dont look good.

Go back and watch tape if you dont believe me–McQ is totally overmatched at LT–he’s not even playing well at G, merely good enough; but he’s bad at LT. Carp had a terrible day. Lem was fine. Sweezy was inconsistent and overall not good. Bowie was a rookie making his first start. NOtice how HOU sent Watt against Sweezy; they picked on him as the weakest link, even though Bowie wasnt exactly shutting Watt down either.

Teams know our line is banged up, and wasnt playing well before the injuries. They know Sweezy rarely if ever manages to block a delayed blitz up the middle, and they know he’s inconsistent in the run game as well. They know Unger is playing hurt, and McQ cant handle LT, and that Bowie is a rookie. They know Miller will mostly be blocking. And they know our WR’s arent quickly getting separation. They know we want/need to run the ball well, and wont give up on it.

To me, these are the ingredients of a mid-season collapse. Im hoping Im wrong, but to expect this line to do anything other than perform at a below avg level is ludicrous.

But what do I know? Perhaps the D keeps teams to 17 points or less every game, and continues this awesome streak of takeaways and scores point. Perhaps Unger heals and goes back to his 2012 form, Carp gets in shape and his feet speed up, Bowie learns fast, and Sweezy figures it out. And all in time for us to go 12-4 or 13-3 and get homefield for the playoffs…But ALL of that will have to happen–not to mention Okung making it back 100% by the playoffs–for us to win big. That seems a tall order at this point.

86. You may be right about Avril. Then again, he played LDE for Detroit, so thats his natural position. Clemons seems to be the prototypical LEO–at least he performs like it. The guy is even a monster vs the run. Avril is not–or at least, hasnt been for us this year.

Still, I agree; he’s new to the system and should improve. And it will be crazy once Clemons is in game shape to see him and Avril rushing the passer alongside Irvin and Bennett…does any team in the NFL have 4 pass rushers that scary?!

87. After this year, Seattle will lose some good players, as other teams can pay them more money. The cap will bite us hard after this season. So, this is the most star-studded Hawks team you will see for some time–maybe ever. That is why I believe NOW is the time to win it all–we’ll be competitive in years to come, but this is the peak of talent/experience this year.

And that is why I am so disgusted to see the line actually far worse than last season, and to see us stuck with the same old guys failing the same old way. We could have upgraded at RG and RT for a lot less than the cost of Harvin. Hell, we probably could have upgraded LG while we were at it.

88. Ewalters7354 says:

I agree.Very well said.The o-line definitely needs to play better.But Bevell has to help them by moving the pocket,buying enough time for routes to actually develop.I think this O is much more effective with Wilson threatening the edge.Also why haven’t they opened up the Read Option?RW has the ability to pass from the pocket but he’s better on the move.MQ just plain sucks!Sweezy is showing improvement in games as they go on.Bailey will be better than Breno.Bailey I fear may force their hand to make moves on Tom Cabel’s beloved lineman and someone will have to go(my opinion)

89. Ewalters7354 says:

*Bowie will be better…

STTBM- Chill out!
    We have faced top ten defenses in every game this year and the next two games will be the same.

When are you going to grow up and realize that NFL teams can win Super Bowls with average O-lines.

91. yankinta says:

This is for xcman, MoSeahawk12 and GeorgiaHawk…. Just a little taste…. :)

yankinta
    AUG. 27, 2012 AT 8:32 AM

For all those, that called me crazy a couple of weeks ago, for picking Russell Wilson and saying we should trade Flynn, what do you have to say for yourselves now??

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2012/08/27/morning-links-hawks-get-late-round-pick-for-jackson/#comments#storylink=cpy

92. yankinta says:

Here’s a little more taste, I hope we never have to talk about this again… :)

yankinta
    AUG. 27, 2012 AT 9:19 AM
    I guess, I’m crazy for jumping out of my couch, screaming like we just won a playoff game, when we picked him in the 3rd round this year…. lol., and saying immediately that we should trade Flynn to get some good value and keep T-Jack as our backup.

Either if you all agree with me or not, Flynn will be traded before the deadline this year or next year.

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2012/08/27/morning-links-hawks-get-late-round-pick-for-jackson/#storylink=cpy

93. Georgia–Im a worrywart. Its what I do.

How does believing NFL teams can win a SB make one grown up?! Thats a strange measuring stick…

Our offensive line is avg in run blocking right now, and simply atrocious in pass pro. I would be confident of winning the SB if our O-line was avg. I dont care how good the D-lines we faced are–our line performed hysterically bad, esp last Sunday. Seriously, no other team looked so helpless vs Carolina and Hou.

If we had a pocket passer qb, we would have given up 10 sacks to HOU, and a bunch to the whiners and Carolina as well. RW is awesome and saved a lot of face for the O-line with his scrambling, not to mention Lynch getting so many YAC.

If the line doesnt improve a lot in a hurry, this offense will not score points. They had ONE TD drive vs Carolina, ONE vs HOU: thats not exactly a high-functioning offense. And the one vs HOU only happened because HOU let down after pulling ahead 20-6, and after they lost Cushing.

This team is incredible. The best D I have ever seen, and thats despite injuries and suspensions galore. They are still improving–thats whats so awesome! But the offense is stagnant and struggling, due to the Offensive line.

Cable wants guys who can run block above all else, and thats fine–but if you have guys THAT bad at pass pro, they better be awesome in run blocking to make up for it–and ours arent. Cable has guys that just cant pass pro, and they arent that amazing in run blocking either.

This team just keeps finding ways to win, but that cant last forever with line play this poor. And with even last years line performance, we should beat Indy by 10 points or more. This time, Im just hoping to squeak out a win…

94. NFL teams with an avg line I meant to say..

95. Seahawkfan78 says:

SSTBM – look at the bright side, we dont have the Giants O-line! :)

96. raymaines says:

Everybody wins. The ‘Hawks have an O-Line that can only get better AND they are 4-0.

yankinta- Late august is a far cry from early May.

98. yank, what the hell does saying something on August 27th have to do with anything? I remember you saying that. That’s around when I started to challenge you to post what you said RIGHT AFTER the draft. Plenty of people were on the RW bandwagon by August 27th. It’s just pathetic at this point. You couldn’t find any proof because there is none. You’re full of crap.

Georgia, most people here that have followed yank know he is full of crap when it comes to his claims about RW. I think most people realize there’s a 95+ % chance that he is ACIB and is trying to overcompensate. Regardless of whether he is or not, at least he contributes something now and only harps on a few subjects rather than the one, Curry, that he did before.

STTBM, Miller averages 6.8 mil a year, not really that close to 8. It doesn’t help your position when you have to exaggerate or lie to try and make it.

99. yankinta says:

Nah,, I don’t wanna do all that work to go thru the months of May and April but you can. This is what I can come up within 5 min.,, :)

100. yankinta says:

bbmate,, you’re kind of Sad… Can you count how many people were still calling me crazy and attacking me on Aug 27, 2012?? It’s obvious that Plenty of people were NOT on the RW bandwagon by August 27th. you can’t make that simple connection,, smh…

GeorgiaHawk, maybe you can ask those people if they remember calling me crazy and attacking me during the months of April and May… :)

101. bbmate–I do not lie. Thats rather insulting. I may have remembered the total numbers for his contract wrong, but that doesnt make me a liar or a deliberate exaggerator. Give me a break.

I thought his total compensation over the life of his contract–with Bonus Money–made the value per season close to 8 million, or at least for his first couple seasons since it was front-loaded. Perhaps I was wrong. If you are correct, and even with his bonus money the amount is 6.8 million per year, the point I made is still valid; he’s making a lot of money, even for a T, and its kind of sad to pay a TE that much to mostly block; its a waste of resources and an indictment of Cables talent eval on the line, as well as his coaching ability.

I would never deliberately misrepresent someone’s compensation to try to backup my opinion; thats backwards, since I base my opinion on what I believe he’s making. I still say if he makes 6.8 instead of 7.8 per year the point is the same, but if you are correct then you got me, I was off by about a million a year–or 12% of his pay.

Happy now?

102. Bbmate–In fact, you do owe me an apology. Or maybe you are lying and/or exaggerating?

According to Rotoworld at http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4158/zach-miller (click/hover on Contract Details), he signed a $34 million contract in 2011. He is due to be paid 5.8 million next year, and 4.8 million in 2015. Out of 34 million, thats 10.6 million. 34 million minus 10.6 million equals 23.4 million paid out over his first three years, which avg’s 7.8 million per year, or more than ONE MILLION PER YEAR more than you say. I would say 7.8 million is closer to 8 million per year than it is to 6.8 million a year, but I guess not in bbmate math.

To quote a famous scribe “It doesn’t help your position when you have to exaggerate or lie to try and make it.”

Please, explain how you dont owe me an apology on this one. I dying to hear your rationale.

103. STTBM, first off, read the comment correctly before you flip out. I said exaggerate OR lie. I didn’t say you definitely lied. You DEFINITELY did exaggerate, whether it was unintentional or not.

I guess it’s bbmate math if what you mean is correct math. Try to read this link and understand it. Maybe then you’ll have a grasp on reality. Miller averages 6.8 mil for the life of the contract and averaged 7 mil the first 3 years. By either measure you’re wrong. So no, I don’t owe you crap. You exaggerated. Plain and simple.

“If you are not correct that he makes only 6.8 million this year, you owe me an apology. It wouldnt be the first time you jumped all over me, then had to admit later your numbers were bogus.”

You sound like yanker. I didn’t jump on you, and I challenge you to link any post where I had to apologize to you for providing false numbers. I’ll be waiting. I do remember numerous times where you’ve pulled stuff straight out of your ass and I came in with actual facts to dispute you. The murder rate in Canada and the pay and draft values of OGs versus RTs is just 2 areas where that happened. Se that, actual examples. In neither instance could you refute the reality and just eventually gave up.

104. bbmate–Check the math again. He was paid 23.4 million over his first three years, which is an avg. of 7.8 million per year. I rounded up to “about 8 million a year”, which is hardly an exaggeration. An example of exaggeration would be your rounding 7.8 million avg DOWN to 6.8 million.

As for the Murder rate in several major cities in Canada, I was talking about the Violent Crime/Assault rates in a few cities–like Toronto, Ontario, and Montreal. When I last read stats on those (10 years ago) they were far higher per capita than in major cities in the US, despite there being far less guns. My point was that things are more complicated then they seem on the surface, because less guns doesnt always equal less violence. And you totally missed my point. I am in no way a gun nut, and I found it interesting that in some major Canadian cities, they had more violent crime than in the US.

You havent apologized for using incorrect stats, nor for twisting them and using your interpretation to attack me.

And that site lists his initial signing bonus as $5, but then shows it as only $1 million. He got paid more than 23 million in his first three years; thats almost 8 million a year, and far more than 6.8 per year.

Regardless, youre splitting hairs, but my point stands and is valid whether he makes 6.8 million for his first three years, or 7 million, or 8 million. He’s being paid an awful lot of money to not catch passes and still isnt worth a T paid that much, so its a waste of resources, talent, and money. A bad deal for us, but certainly not his fault.

105. STTBM, No he was not. He was paid 21 mil. 3 mil in 2011, 7 mil in 2012, and 11 mil in 2013. I think you need to read it again. It never says that his signing bonus is 1 mil. It has the signing bonus as COUNTING as 1 mil for each of the 5 years, which is how it works. Regardless, when you say how much someone is being paid you generally talk about the average for the ENTIRE contract. You’re cherry picking.

I didn’t attack you. You just want something to bitch about IMO.

As far as violent crime, murder and other kinds, being higher per capita in Canada, you’re just dead wrong. What you’re saying is just hot air. I already posted the actual facts. Toronto and Montreal don’t even have the highest per capita violent crime rates in Canada. They are higher in Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Halifax, and Thunder Bay. The murder rate in Canada is one fifth of what it is in the US. Believe whatever you want to, but the facts are the facts. You seem to just WANT to believe something.

106. Again, you are talking murder rate, I’m talking violent crime–assaults. You’ve been trying to pick fights with me for weeks–seems like your the one wants something to bitch about.

I bet if we found ten websites stating the contract terms we’d get 10 different answers…

Regardless, my point still stands; Miller is making a ton of money to be less than a T and less than a TE; a total waste due to Cable fowling up..

107. I posted VIOLENT CRIME, which murder is a part of. I didn’t just post murder. Please actually read the link if you want to comment on it. Next excuse? I did say that the murder rate was 1/5 of that of the US. The violent crime rate is much less as well. Here’s the US versus some other industrialized countries. And would you disagree that murder is the WORST possible violent crime?

Keep crying about a 4-0 team. Why enjoy the winning? I honestly just feel sorry for you that you can’t seem to enjoy football at all.

And I haven’t been trying to pick a fight with you. I have just challenged your assumptions. You probably see that as picking a fight because you seem to be looking for an excuse to unload on someone. I hope you feel better after if that’s what you need right now.