News, notes and quotes Wednesday: Irvin ready to get going, Unger, too

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:04 pm with 44 Comments »
October 2, 2013 2:40 pm

Good afternoon.

Lots of Andrew Luck talk today. Wide receiver Doug Baldwin said he is on record as saying Luck will be the best quarterback in league history. Pete Carroll said, “Not a difficult pick to take him first.”

More on that later.

On to the quick hits:

> The Seahawks claimed former 49ers QB B.J. Daniels today. John Lotulelei was cut. Daniels was cut Tuesday by the 49ers, so, now they lose him. San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh said earlier today he hoped to put Daniels back on the practice squad.

> Max Unger told me his arm is feeling better and he was very close to playing last week. He’ll practice today and expects to be ready to go Sunday.

> Bruce Irvin said he’s “paid his debt to society” and is ready to get started after working out in West Virginia the past few weeks.  Carroll said they are going to have to see in practice how they work Irvin into the mix, and reiterated that Irvin is their fastest pass rusher. “We’ve got to wait and see,” Carroll said. Carroll did say Irvin was giving them “tremendous flexibility” when at linebacker. Also said that Irvin “was way ahead of schedule” with understanding his coverage role.

> RT Breno  Giacomini is still in New York. No timeline update for his return.

> DT Jordan Hill will practice today.

> FB Spencer Ware is “still hobbled,” Carroll said.

> Carroll said kicker Steven Hauschka has been a “rock-solid dude for us every day.” Hauschka is 11-for-11 in extra points and 8-for-8 in field goals this year.

> Carroll was asked if his receivers are getting enough separation. He answered in a generic manner, saying everyone can improve day-to-day. Then added, “We need to give Russell time to throw.”

> He was also asked about the proverbial “slow starts.” Gave the expected answer that they would like to start faster.

> Carroll mentioned J.J. Watt once again when asked about Robert Mathis. He said Watt is the standard for defensive lineman now. Since Watt had blood running down his face for much of and at the end of the game, Carroll said, “He looked like Braveheart” in the handshake line. Carroll also wondered if Michael Bowie was still having “dreams about” Watt, ones Carroll said wouldn’t be good dreams.

> Carroll pointed out that the seam-route 31-yard touchdown to Texans’ tight end Garrett Graham was a mistake by Earl Thomas, who cheated to the wrong side, as much as it was poor coverage by LB Malcolm Smith (though Smith misread the play for a second when the ball was snapped and he was subsequently toast).

> Baldwin explained both Luck and Wilson have lots of similar, positive traits. He avoided a hard comparison, telling me later that those are both his guys. He didn’t want to publicly differentiate between them.

> And, a quick add here as I came across what is a pretty amazing stat: Seahawks opponents have 11 red-zone possessions and have scored 37 points on them. They have four touchdowns and four interceptions in those situations.

1. trout_hound says:

Damn, sucks they cut John Lotulelei. I liked that kid. Why didn’t the Hawks let BJ go to the 9er’s practice squad? Then they could have waited to sign him the week before our rematch. Must really like the kid, but it sucks using up a roster spot for someone that is unlikely to see the field all year.

2. Southendzone says:

A lot of these personnel wars going on in the NFC west this year.

Harper picked up by SF
    Person picked up by STL after Okung goes down
    Skelton by SF(I think just because TEN wanted him)
    SEA picks up BJ Daniels.

I like it, I hope BJ downloaded the playbook off his Ipad before he gave it back

3. WiscCory says:

Assuming Max goes, would Cable dare move Mule to RG and Sweezy to the bench?

4. WiscCory says:

BTW – JS/PC made a mistake when they cut McGrath. Now, McGrath is making an impact on another 4-0 team, and Seattle was stuck bringing in a sub-par guy like Kellen Davis. How is Davis still on the roster??!!

5. MoSeahawk12 says:

Flynn now 3rd string. That didn’t take long. Glad our FO acted quickly to move this guy, even though we didn’t get much in draft picks for him.

6. yankinta says:

trout_hound, BJ is a really good QB. You’ll like him as you learn more about him. Trust me on this. I’ve studied him a lot in the off season and been saying that I hoped we can get him with our late round pick.

This is our Future Backup QB to learn under RW. He is more like RW than T-Jack,, which is what our FO wanted…

7. yankinta says:

WiscCory, I agree. I know they brought Davis in because Willson was hurt but I don’t know why he’s still on the Roster,, though.

8. PHXHawk says:

BJ, the QB of the future, is 11 months younger than Wilson.

9. MoSeahawk12 says:

Starting to wonder if Ware will make it back this season. His knee doesn’t seem to be responding well and as other players are injured or available, I could see him going to IR.

10. I thought Ware had a high ankle sprain. Usually those seem to take at least 4 weeks to recover.

11. MoSeahawk12 says:

Sorry LVHawk, it is a high ankle sprain. I’m kinda sucking at multitasking while at work.

12. WiscCory says:

PHX – the comment was BJ as the future “back-up” QB. I had to double read that comment, too.

13. Southendzone says:

Great call by Wiscory above on McGrath. Him and his beard are wreaking havoc on the AFC West, while Kellen Davis is trying to murder our team each week.

If a story came out that Kellen Davis was a 49′er mole planted to destroy the Hawks I wouldn’t be shocked one bit. If the government wasn’t shut down I think we should ask the FBI to look for large cash withdrawals from Harbaugh’s bank account and deposits to K. Davis that line up with each other.

14. MoSeahawk12 says:

9ers going with Skelton instead of BJ. Skelton’s best game came at our expense last year in AZ.
    Oh well, if you’re down to your 3rd QB, your season is probably already over anyway.
    I though BJ looked pretty good in preseason, better than Colt for sure.

15. Hey Mo – you need to get your priorities straight and focus on this blog!

16. yankinta says:

MoSeahawk12,, lol looks like you’re coming around on BJ too. Or maybe you just didn’t like him cuz I liked him a lot before the draft…. :)

17. freedom_X says:

If the O-line were much more solid, Davis might have been sent to the waiver wire by now.

I’m not sure about this, but a player on a practice squad has to agree to be signed to another team’s roster (i.e. a team can’t claim someone off the practice squad.) If the signing of Daniels was just gamesmanship, and Seattle waited, Daniels might well refuse to go to Seattle (since he might suspect he was just being used for information and could have a better long-term future where he’s at now.)

I feel pretty confident that Seattle’s front office genuinely likes Daniels and sees a long-term future for him. Who knows, if Jackson plays well they may be able to move him on again to another team (and I don’t know how long Tarvaris’ contract lasts anyway – only 1-2 more years right?)

18. Southendzone says:

Skelton didn’t beat us last year, we were doing fine, knocked his immobile / inaccurate butt out of the game and Kevin Kolb came in to beat us.

19. RDPoulsbo says:

freedom, nope. He has to go along with a minimum contract. Daniels doesn’t have enough seasons to become a UFA, so he doesn’t have the right, unless he decides to retire from football.

Besides, why wouldn’t he want to come? That’s a huge step up with the paycheck to do exactly what he’s been doing.

20. MoSeahawk12 says:

actually yanker I didn’t really care either way if you liked him or not. We already had our qb for the next ten years in Wilson and only saw some of BJ playing as my wife is a 9er fan. She and I felt he clearly moved the team much better the Colt. But a lotta guys look pretty good in preseason and then once the real games start they stay on the bench.

21. MoSeahawk12 says:

God, I’m sucking today. Sorry Southendzone, I had it backwards. I was at that game and after we knocked him out, I was concerned that Kolb would play well and for the most part he did. Yes, Skelton is very slow. Had he remained in, I’m almost certain we win that game. Or if we score when Baldwin lost his teeth. I’m pretty sure we have a better showing in AZ this season.

22. freedom_X says:

Got it, but that’s weird that a guy can be cut from a team, clear waivers, yet doesn’t have free choice to go where he wants? Guess if you’re on the practice squad you no longer are considered as having cleared waivers.

Anyway, signing Daniels now is a indication he fits into Seattle’s long term plans. Signing him a week before the 49er game would be an indication (if I were Daniels) Seattle just wants to pump me for information and I don’t have any real future with that team.

BTW Matt Flynn was demoted – to 3rd string QB.

23. trout_hound says:

Flynn can’t catch a break. But hey, 6 million to ride the pine, not a bad deal. I watched part of that game, and he didn’t actually look that bad.

24. Antideluvian says:

Loving that last stat…in the 11 red zone possessions by opponents, they have 4 TDs and 4 INTs. I can live with that ratio for the season.

25. Me, personally, my biggest disappointment with Flynn are the reports that he wasn’t exactly one of the harder workers on the team. All Green Bay reports talked about how he knew the WCO and was a good student of it but he clearly didn’t take the psycho Wilson approach to being a gym rat and outworking everyone – which is what all great leaders should have, IMO.

26. Comments from Peter Schrager – he’s finally seen the light!

27. Carrol and Schneider liked Daniels coming out of college, and tried to sign him. They just claimed him on waivers.

Wiscory–Yes, I thought it sucked they cut McGrath, and he’s certainly having his revenge. Kellen Davis was cut by the bears for the same reason we’re all pissed at him–penalties, mistakes, dropped passes. But I think he’s at least faster than McGrath, and did make a nice 20+ yard catch vs us last year. He’s got some potential, if they can fix the mental mistakes/drops…but yeah, hard to see him as anything but a downgrade from McGrath.

On Jean-Pierre, its my opinion he should have been given the chance to start at G last year, and should be playing there if Unger plays at C. But since he’s the only backup C worth beans we have, and Cable is in love with Sweezy, he’s likely headed back to the pine. Sad, he’s a damn sight better than Carp or Sweezy are right now…

28. trout_hound says:

What’s really funny is reading the 9er’s fan responses to this article:

29. If the front office likes Daniels that much to cut someone who is contributing it really speaks well for his opportunity here. I don’t think they care about picking his brain – they KNOW they can beat SF regardless. I see him as the long term backup to Russell. Nice to have someone who is similar in size and style. We need to have a solid backup QB and they must think he can be it long term – nice gig for BJ. Now he has time to learn the system while not having to play – that’s still TJack’s job for this year.

Really curious about 49ers move however – why would they want Skelton as 3rd string and not someone who they can develop long term? I think everyone knows what you have in Skelton – I assume they may be disappointed in McCoy and want Skelton as the backup?

30. DanielleMND says:

Sucks to lose a LB who can contribute on special teams for a 3rd string QB who has no value this year other than riding the bench.

31. I was pleasantly surprised with T-Jack in preseason, and vs Jax. He seems to have improved. He doesnt hold the ball as long, nor take so much time–he runs to buy time to get the ball downfield ala RW, rather than being indecisive and getting sacked, or just panicking.

We all should be thrilled to have him as our backup. I think he could win a SB with our team. Well, if the line improves lol…

Time will tell with Daniels vs Skelton.

32. MikeFromNewJersey says:

I agree that Kellen Davis has been bad and has brought nothing to the table.. We should just cut him and use Cooper Helfet at TE. That guy played well in pre-season.

33. RDPoulsbo says:

Daniels is a lot cheaper than T-Jack, who’s on a 1 year contract anyway. Besides, I’m a big believer in having a 3rd string QB to run the scout offense while the top 2 are working on the gameplan.

There’s a lot of guys that will be hard to cut on this team because it’s so deep. There will be another cut on Saturday since Irvin is coming back and is a roster excemption until then. Then you’ll have Harvin and Okung with 2 more cuts to come with their eventual returns.

34. freedom_X says:

Hopefully Lotulelei makes it to the practice squad. Once a few more people get back healthy he could get activated (or if they need the special teams help.)

I don’t think Flynn got bad breaks, unless have elbow tendinitis every pre-season counts as a bad break. I found that very strange. Maybe he could have conditioned his arm better in the offseason so it didn’t get sore when camp started.

He got his big chance to play though, and flopped. Since he was demoted all the way to 3rd string, it sounds like the Oakland staff was *very* unimpressed with his performance.

Agree DanielleMND.
    We don’t need three QBs. Send Jackson to Jacksonville for a conditional late round pick if we are going to sign another.

Now we lose two promising young LBs and still have Davis and three QBs.

36. It’s obvious that the Daniels move is totally long term with the primary benefit coming next year and beyond. They like him and are hopeful that he can replace TJack at a lower salary – when we need the reduced cap space.

It’s always a trade off and it seems to me that the front office is committed to keeping a competitive team every year as opposed to ‘going for it’ this year (or in any ONE year for that matter).

That explains this move in addition to cutting Mike Robinson. It’s tempting to do everything possible to have your best team NOW but I have to respect them sticking to their long term plan to do their best to develop a system (including salary cap)that allows them to have a chance to win a Super Bowl every year.

37. pabuwal says:

Daniels will never start in the NFL. He has no value period.

The Seahawks have the best 1-2 QB combination in the NFL. It would be ridiculous to break that up – now or this year to save some money. This isn’t the FB or Guard position here where you can mess around.

This is nothing more then a get back move on the 49ers for signing Harper.

39. My first thought was the Hawks wanted to get Daniels to trade him back for Harper. Don’t laugh. Maybe in the grand scheme a 3rd string QB is more valuable for the team at this point in the season than a 3rd string LB/special teamer. The trouble is, there are just too many guys on this team, including the guys who’ve been cut, to like. You like Lotulelei, McGrath, and on and on and on. Sad to see each of them go. It would be very interesting to know exactly what Pete/JC are thinking in terms of the roster.

40. How has devaluing the G position worked out for Seattle since losing Futch, Pabs?! I think Seattle has proven that G is not a position to value lightly.

But I agree, it would be asinine to get rid of T-Jack after this season. I think Seattle is taking a look at a guy (Daniels) they liked, they think he has a shot. Plus, they get to stick it to the Niners–always fun!

41. sluggo42 says:

I’m glad we have so many people to explain the moves the team makes…

42. Good god, it’s devolved into worrying about if we had a better 3rd string TE on the roster before. I must admit that I’m worried about them losing their 6th string gatorade caddy. Must be good times in Hawks land. ;-)

Looks like having the OGs they have has worked out just fine. They turned the team around from 5-11 and old to 11-5 and very young in 3 years. They are currently 4-0. How has the Hawks’ position proven the value of OGs? Give me a break.

43. I’m sometimes amazed that I can be so critical about our OL performance. In week 1 they played at CAR against one of the best front 7s in the league. The right side of our OL had to deal with duo Charles Johnson and Thomas Davis. Through 4 games CAR’s D has gotten 10 sacks, 12 hits, and 33 hurries. SEA’s OL did OK, a little better than average (allowed 2 sacks, 6 hits and 9 hurries). Week 2 SEA’s OL had the Smiths, Justin and Alden on the left side of our OL and did OK again, even after losing Okung early (allowed 4 sacks, 3 hits, and 14 hurries). SF’s D has gotten 14 sacks, 16 hits and 52 hurries through 4 games. JAX’s D played hard and got 2 sacks, 2 hits and 9 hurries vs SEA’s OL. Through 4 games they have gotten a total of 9 sacks, 14 hits and 34 hurries. Then at HOU playing the duo of Watts and Cushing, SEA’s OL, down 3 starters, allowed 7 sacks, 4 hits and 20 hurries. HOU’s D have gotten 17 sacks, 10 hits and 50 hurries total thru 4 games. Now they have another week facing a dynamic duo, Cory Redding and Robert Mathis. Through 4 games IND’s D has gotten an average of nearly 4 sacks, 2 hits, and 13 hurries a game. My hope is that SEA’s OL limits them to near those numbers in their pass pro.