Morning links: Bowie says he’s ready to go

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:30 am with 40 Comments »
September 27, 2013 1:40 am

Good morning.

As the injury report indicates, the Seahawks have mounting concerns on the offensive line. If Breno Giacomini (knee) is not able to go, rookie Michael Bowie may get the call.

Our Dave Boling wrote about Bowie and the line:

“I’m ready to go,” Bowie assured on Thursday. “I live for moments like that.”

The real question, though, is whether quarterback Russell Wilson can live through such moments.

> The Everett Herald also wonders about the line, and if, in particular, it can handle J.J. Watt. From the Herald:

Quick passes to the flanks, (Russell) Wilson said, are an option, with the keys being effectiveness on third downs and trips into the Red Zone.

“And, obviously, (letting) Marshawn Lynch run the football and get his day going early and often,” Wilson said.

> Seahawks.com says the Houston trip will be a bit of a homecoming for several Seahawks. From Clare Farnsworth:

(Michael) Bennett has purchased 30 tickets for family and friends, while (Earl) Thomas has turned the ticket duties over to someone else. “I’ve got a lot of family and friends coming, but I told them don’t call my phone this week,” he said with a smile. “I don’t need any distractions.”

> Though they were playing St. Louis, and won 35-11, San Francisco fans chanted, “Seahawks suck!” during the live Thursday Night Football postgame show.

> Houston safety Ed Reed said the Texans and Seahawks could meet in the Super Bowl. From ESPN:

Though it’s early in the season, Houston Texans safety Ed Reed said his team could make a statement Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks.

“This is a potential Super Bowl matchup,” Reed said.

> Arian Foster says he wants more work. From the Houston Chronicle:

Foster said Thursday he’s definitely open to carrying the ball more, but understands the team’s coaches have a long-term plan this season, which involves initially splitting rushes with backup Ben Tate.

“I’m feeling good. My body feels good,” said Foster, who leads the Texans in rushing yards (190) and carries (49). “I’m ready to go whenever they want to let me go. But you’ve got to be patient and trust coach.”

> It’s sounding more and more like wide receiver Andre Johnson will play:

Perhaps some 49er fans thought they played us last night?
    So confused they are right now and I can see why. A couple butt kicking’s can do that.

2. yankinta says:

Wow, the RAMS wants to extend Sam Bradford?? He looked so bad last night. I would not want to sign him to a long term extension. I guess RAMs will not be contending anytime soon…smh..

3. montanamike2 says:

Sorry my comment earlier was a bit off the top.

4. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

don’t sweat it mike

5. LocalGutterGuy says:

Watching Bradford last night really made me appreciate Wilson’s mobility and decision making. Some of Bradford’s throws into coverage were hard to fathom.

6. dirtbiker_joey says:

I, for one, did not think SF would bounce back like that. Give them credit for overcoming some adversity. Looks like they won’t give up the division quietly after all.

But why the hell were their fans chanting “Seahawks Suck?” Doesn’t make sense. Maybe it’s an extremely convoluted put-down for the Rams: Seahawks suck, and they pasted us, so we must REALLY suck (SEA>SF). But we just kicked your ass (SF>StL), so you must be too horrible to put into words (i.e. SEA>>StL).

7. Watching Bradford last night should also make you appreciate that the Seahawks didn’t waste their picks in a deep 2010 draft and give a journeyman a $80m contract to add insult to injury.

8. montanamike2 says:

Do the 49’rs think after beating the worst team that they suddenly are a serious contender? Seahawks suck? Really? At least we didn’t get all excited after beating the Jags. Thanks for the motivation to bring it to your house.

9. yankinta says:

LocalGutterGuy and pabuwal,, agreed. I was thinking,, there goes my dream about NFC West being the BEST in the NFL. That will not happen anytime soon with that QB…. I think it’s time for them to bring in another QB, at least to push Bradford with serious competition…

10. Yes Bradford looked terrible but they have a TERRIBLE line – which how many young QB’s are ruined. They get no time, getting killed all the time. Of course they get a little gun shy and start to make mistakes. Bradford would improved with improved line play.

It is the one thing that too many teams ignore – a good QB, RB, WR can only help you so much if there is not protection/holes.

11. Seahawkfan78 says:

I bet they wait to extend bradford until after the season is over. If they are able to get a top pick again they will go after a new QB and save a ton of cash in the process. Since they still have a extra 1st rounder (thanks Washington) they will address the line issue.

12. montanamike2 says:

All his receivers had the “dropsies” the whole game.

13. Seahawkfan78 says:

I just wonder how much of a cap hit it would be if they dropped him with two more years left on his contract.

14. tealskin says:

Didn’t watch the St.L-SF game but it looked as if Rams had no running game. In that case what chance did Bradford have? Poor guy needs some help. Don’t think he’s as bad as some comments make him out to be.

15. yankinta says:

xcman, that is true but we don’t realize how bad our O-Line has been the first 3 games of the season in pass protection. I think I saw somewhere that our O-Line ranked 21st in the NFL in pass protection. I think our O-Line will improve but you can’t just blame it all on the O-line, imo. Bradford miss a lot of the pre-snap calls that he should have made. I think even the Announcers made note of that.

As for the receivers dropping the passes, the majority of these passes were not on target. I think the blame would go to the QB than the WR, imo…

16. Oh I am not blaming it all on the OL – just saying it is a huge contributing factor

17. What bad QB doesn’t look like he has a bad OL or bad WRs? A bad QB can make his WRs look bad and make his OL look bad as well.

18. montanamike2 says:

All valid points.

19. yankinta says:

tealskin, that is true. They had no running game. But if Bradford is the answer than he still should played a lot better imo. Look at what RW did in our first game (on the road) against the best Front 7,, when they shut down our running game. RW still made enough plays for us to win. Bradford was at home and SF front 7 wasn’t that good cuz they were missing 2-3 guys,, he still played horrible….

I’m not saying bench him but I would add another QB to challenge him before I sign him to extension….but who cares what I think, right? :)

20. banosser says:

I’m an longtime OU Sooner fan (grew up in the midwest)… watched Bradford in almost every game he played.. He was amazing.. unbelieveable acuracy.. great touch.. smart.. but he played behind a great Oline that gave him the time to make his reads and throws.. While he didn’t have really outstanding receivers he did have Jermaine Greshem at TE and Demarco Murray at RB (tho Murray missed the NC game vs UF) who could run it and catch it (set OU’s career TD mark).. While I have been (mildly, cuz he’s a Ram) disappointed with Bradford’s performance as a pro.. He has never had any kind of Oline and only now is begining to get any kind a decent skill position players to throw it to… I can’t say I’d blame it all on the Oline.. There just seems to be something off with his game.. I thought he was destined to become an elite QB in the NFL.. then the Rams drafted him..

21. Southendzone says:

Ok the Rams had no running game but when they try to run there is ZERO scheming, deception, or ingenuity behind their plays.

It’s “Hey guy with dreadlocks, run into that mass of defenders for a 1 yard gain, don’t bother trying to dodge anyone”

As for Bradford, last night was atrocious. Threw 1 ball that hit SF cornerback RIGHT in both hands and it gets bobbled into a completion for him. Threw another sideline pass away that could have been an INT with a nice play.

Missed a wide open guy streaking towards the End zone for that would have been a 7-0 lead. I saw all this and only watched half the game.

If you’re STL and decide to pay this guy a big new contract (Think Sanchez money or higher), it really smacks of desperation.

Do we have to start to question the “Jeff Fisher is a great coach” mantra we hear all the time? He basically lucks his way into a treasure chest of 1st and 2nd rounder draft picks and after a full season he is putting this kind of garbage on the field?

maybe Fisher is meant to be a DC or a position coach.

22. His receivers made no separation. None. Even the passes he did complete he had to fit into a tight window. That last sack where he got stripped at the 5, he had 2.8 seconds and nobody open. I’m not saying he’s a great QB but last night he got no help from anyone.

23. Got to give the Niners plenty of credit for overcoming adversity and bouncing back. Still, the cracks are showing. Harbaugh inherited a mature defense and that D is now aging and showing some age. Justin Smith is no longer in his prime. Patrick Willis has become mortal.

The Niners O line saved them last night. The Niners are on their way toward becoming a mirror-image of the team that Harbaugh inherited. Their D will decline and they can now be scored upon. Their offense is on its way toward becoming much more threatening than they were before Kaepernick. They desperately need their receivers back and meeting expectations. But, they’ll be back.

Unfortunately for the Niners, just as their offense gets the chance to pull itself together and become a strength, another team has risen in the NFC West that now has the toughest D in the NFL.

24. SeventiesHawksFan says:

Way to let the rest of world know about it. Pretty hilarious.

25. SeventiesHawksFan says:

Am I hearing correctly that Unger and Giac are both likely out for Sunday? Uh wow. Not sure that much additional comment is even necessary. I’m rather curious how this is all going to turn out. Or what the game plan now becomes.

26. RDPoulsbo says:

Bradford is getting shellshock behind that o-line. I didn’t think it was possible that the Rams could have a worse o-line than the Cards, but there it is. Half of the 49ers front 7 starters were out and yet they still couldn’t run against them? If they do extend Bradford, it will be a relatively cheap contract. It might be a deep draft for QBs, but they might be better served using their first 5 picks to protect Bradford.

27. rramstad says:

I think the Rams lost a lot when Steven Jackson left. It’s too bad, they seem to be stuck on offense, when they have good parts, they have a bad coach, now they have some receiver issues and no quality depth at RB but a good coach. Ugh.

It also looked to me that the Rams defense was totally overmatched. Boldin and VD were running down the field basically wide open, with defenders sorta kinda in the area but not close enough to make plays. You’d absolutely NEVER see that from the Seahawks, never ever.

I was surprised at how wretched the Rams looked. They looked really, really bad to me, and it wasn’t because the 49ers were doing special world beating things… the Rams were just bad. Couldn’t run the ball, couldn’t pass the ball, couldn’t stop the run, couldn’t stop the pass. That’s a recipe for disaster.

Frankly the Rams might have looked worse than the Jags, given that at least the Jags were organized and fought to the whistle. Rams players looked like they were giving up early on the field, and certainly packed it in somewhere in the 3rd quarter.

It may take Fischer longer than we think to change the culture of losing in StL.

Boy, and to think of how furious I was back in the year where the Rams beat us three times, the last time at home in the playoffs! They sure had our number then… especially Isaac Bruce.

28. rramstad says:

Seventies, Unger has had a left arm injury for some time now and has been playing through it. There’s no specific reason to believe that he’s going to miss the game Sunday. PC often has vets not practice Wednesday and/or Thursday if he thinks it’ll get them in a better spot for game day, so you can’t necessarily read into that, either.

29. dirtbiker_joey says:

“Seahawks suck chanting by SF fans = Hawks live rent free in their heads now. And they can’t get em out.”

Bingo! Love it.

30. dirtbiker_joey says:

Re: Unger and Breno possibly out this week, Lem ain’t a bad backup, and Unger has not been playing up to his pro-Bowl form of last year, so I don’t see a huge drop off there. As for Bowie coming in for Breno, that should make a lot of people pretty happy since we have all read a lot of Breno-bashing for two years on this board.

Not a good way to go in against a very tough defensive front, but don’t calk it up as a loss just yet.

31. “Watching Bradford last night should also make you appreciate that the Seahawks didn’t waste their picks in a deep 2010 draft and give a journeyman a $80m contract to add insult to injury”

Yeah, at this point, I’m going to agree with you. Bradford has now been at this long enough that he should be better, if he was ever going to be better. He’s not a guy who can make up for other weaknesses in his team’s offense, and still carry you. I’m sure with great protection and a great running game he could be an effective QB, but that alone doesn’t put you in the upper half of league quarterbacks.

That’s an ugly home loss for a Rams team that I thought would be better. Niners w/out Willis, and kind of reeling a bit, were ripe for a loss, and instead the Rams’ mediocrity put them back on track.

32. RDPoulsbo says:

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I sure hope Breno can play on Sunday. You can only put so much stress on the line before the entire protection scheme falls apart. No Okung is bad enough and they can get by, but with neither starting tackle vs. JJ Watt is pretty scary. If Unger is out as well, it would be tough to see how they would be competitive.

33. yankinta says:

RDPoulsbo, I guess I’m in the other boat. :) I want to see how our 2 Rookie Tackles do. I’m excited to see both of them play in a tough environment. I am confident RW will carry them, if he needs to. I predict 21-10 win by the Seahawks even with the Rookie Tackles…. :)

34. yankinta says:

This is why I have no respect for SEC and Alabama’s recent national titles….BCS Championship is laughable…. can’t wait for the 8 team College playoff,, may have to wait several years though..smh…

35. jawpeace says:

Yes 49ers fans the Seahawks suck. The Hawks sucked the life right out of your team and they looked like crap for a game and even a quarter against the Lambs.

36. The Lambs shoulda kept Griffin, I’ll keep saying it… Bradford is trash. I love how 9er fans make themselves look stupid so we don’t have to. “Seahawks suck, so bad that we wanna be them.”

37. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/sam-bradford/

Seahawkfan78, the Rams would owe 10.189 mil against the cap for him if they cut Bradford after the year, but that’s still 7.5 mil less than his cap number should they keep him in 2014.