News, notes and quotes, Pete Carroll on Houston: ‘Really loaded team’

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:42 pm with 13 Comments »
September 25, 2013 2:24 pm

As the headline says, Pete Carroll listed several ways the Texans are a difficult matchup when he talked with the media Wednesday. From J.J. Watt to Andrew Johnson, the Texans have some big-time pieces.

To the quick hits:

> Carroll said formula-wise the Texans are very similar to the Seahawks.

> Asked if they have solved the road, Carroll said, “I don’t know if we’ve solved it. It’s a very special challenge for us.” He felt they kind of survived their road trip to Carolina and hope to get it all together on this road trip.

> Carroll said Matt Schaub is a pocket-passer and very good. “They know how to strike you dead in play-action.”

> There’s some conjecture about how the Seahawks will handle Andre Johnson, whom they full expect to play (he didn’t practice today). Carroll said the option of moving Richard Sherman around is available each week. “It’s an option we exercise now and then.”

> Carroll said linebacker Brian Cushing is “one of the best guys we ever recruited” at USC. Cushing played outside for Carroll but plays inside for the Texans. They often put him right behind Watt.

> One thing in the Seahawks favor when talking about signing Michael Bennett was Dan Quinn’s familiarity with him. Carroll said Quinn “really championed” Bennett.

> Red Bryant won’t practice today. Neither will Breno Giacomini or Jermaine Kearse. Kearse ran today to test out hist ankle. He told me it went well, they’ll keep evaluating, but he is shooting to be ready Sunday.

> Jordan Hill will practice today.

> Of the Texans’ defense, Carroll said: “They’re not really complicated. They’re very aggressive.” Carroll said it will be the most aggressive defense they will fave all year.

> Percy Harvin is back in New York rehabbing. Carroll continues to sound very encouraged by how it is going with Harvin.

> Bruce Irvin will be back next week. “We’ll find out how the layoff affected him,” Carroll said. “We don’t have anybody as fast as Bruce.”

> Carroll said they are “very fortunate” to have versatile O’Brien Schofield.

> Carroll also said they haven’t seen defenses do anything different this year so far against Russell Wilson.

> The Houston Chronicle reports that S Ed Reed had a good practice today. Also says that Duane Brown (toe), Andre Johnson (shin), Kareem Jackson (sick), Johnathan Joseph (toe), Owen Daniels (rest), Darryl Sharpton (foot), Wade Smith and Garrett Graham either didn’t practice or were limited Wednesday.

1. dirtbiker_joey says:

In response to yankinta from a couple of topics ago, yes, I did pick the Falcons to win their division. Not feeling good about that pick now. There’s still a lot of season left, but I don’t see them catching the Saints. Not the way each team is playing now.

Of course I also picked the Giants to win their division! I picked Green Bay to run away with the NFC North and Chicago to finish with five wins. I picked SF to go 13-3.

In the AFC, I picked Pittsburgh to grab a wildcard spot and the Jets to win only three games all year.

Because my preseason projections have been so far off, I my delighted to share that I projected the Seahawks to lose this weekend. If the trend continues, we’ll be 4-0 at this point next week!

2. SandpointHawk says:

Thanks Todd…
    Joey don’t take the bait, but I want to take you to Vegas with me…I’ll bet against you all Sunday long…

3. SandpointHawk says:

By the way that was tongue in cheek font…This is shaping up as a strange season.

4. seahawkNJ says:

I’d make the exact same bets Joey…but I never (ever) bet against the hawks.

5. dirtbiker_joey says:

I never bet one way or the other on any of my teams. Too much emotional investment to make a wise choice.

In response to yankinta from several topics ago I finally decided to go back into the archives to see for myself if yank actually said anything about Wilson after we drafted him or if yank was making it all up.
    Oklahoma was right, nothing found.

7. The only Hawk bet I have & it’s been going on a long time now is a lifetime Hawks vs. Rams. $100 per game +$100 for a division title with my St. Louis buddy. I probably don’t need to mention that he owes me a hefty sum right now. We’ve squared up a couple of times but it has been long enough that it might be my problem now. There’s a saying that “If you own the bank $50,000, you’ve got a problem but if you owe the bank $1 million that they’ve got a problem. Might have to call up Moose & Rocko to “help the judge find his check book”.

8. The only Hawk bet I have & it’s been going on a long time now is a lifetime Hawks vs. Rams. $100 per game +$100 for a division title with my St. Louis buddy.”

I have that same bet with a philly buddy – but it’s based on season record, and it goes for all three of the major sports (sadly, now it’s only two for us . . .). Football’s looking pretty good these days, and baseball evens it out. M’s are so hapless.

Posted on another thread – who do you guys like in the Niners/Rams tomorrow night? It’s in St. Louis, and there may be no Vernon Davis again. Feels kinda like a must-win for SF, but then I thought they’d beat the Colts handily too. I’m thinking Rams might win this one.

9. Is anyone else wondering why Percy wouldn’t rehab with the team in Seattle? Or is it pretty common to rehab remotely?

10. montanamike2 says:

He’s rehabbing under his surgeons watch.

11. I guess… but wouldn’t you just email any xrays/MRIs to your surgeon for the interpretation?

A physical therapist in Seattle is as good as one in NY. Just saying..

12. raymaines says:

I don’t have anything to say, but I’ve invested a lot of time reading all of the posts so GO ‘HAWKS!!

13. rramstad says:

“A physical therapist in Seattle is as good as one in NY. Just saying..”

Actually not necessarily. A PT or nurse that’s tightly affiliated with the office that did the surgery may very well be able to monitor and help with the specifics much better than someone who has a more general knowledge of things.

It’s the same reason people go to James Andrews for a ACL repair. You can get those done at facilities all over the world, and even here in Seattle… but you see athletes flying in all over the place to Florida for the surgery… and they recommend that they do the rehab there, for at least two weeks, and a lot of players end up staying there for two to four weeks.