Bevell on Watt: ‘(We have to) make sure that he doesn’t wreck the whole day for us’

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:51 pm with 33 Comments »
September 25, 2013 5:15 pm

Some of the quotes from today’s talk with OC Darrell Bevell:

(On preparing the offense for JJ Watt) “He’s a Badger. Got to love those Badgers don’t you? Yeah…he’s a star player. I mean he really does a great job, he’s tenacious, he works hard, he’s long, he creates a lot of issues. So he’s definitely someone that we have to account for and make sure that he doesn’t wreck the whole day for us.”

(On if pass protection becomes more of a priority against the Texans’ defense…) “Yeah it’s a huge issue. Like you said, it’s always important to take care of the quarterback, keep him upright. But with the players that they have, with [Brian] Cushing pressuring all the time, with JJ Watt, all of the guys that they have. Then there’s scheme, as much pressure as they bring, the protection is paramount this week and we have to do a really good job there.”

(On if knowing where all players are at is a challenge…) “Well in different situations, they do yes. So, yeah you  have to account for them all. The types of players they have as well, when you get them into a nickel or dime situation, there nose comes off the field and then they have all of those different guys that can move. Their outside backers are their ends, but they can move them around and they can spin them around, they could do all different kinds of things with those type of guys. So it creates issues for you. You have to know who you are looking at, how you’re accounting for them, within each protection.”

(On how coach Bevell felt about the third game against the Jaguars…) “Yeah you know it was a good game for us. But, we were able to do just different things in that game. We were able to get the run going, we did fine there and then we were able to get a bunch of wide receivers involved. I think 12 catches by them and nine by the tight ends. That is really cool to see as well. We got a lot of different people involved. So you know each and every week, we go out with a plan obviously. Our biggest plan is continuing to improve and the areas that we focus during the week, whether its running the ball, whether it’s getting started a little bit better, all of those kinds of things come into play every week.”

(On opponent defenses’ play schemes changing because of Russell Wilson…) “I haven’t seen a huge difference. There’s probably just some subtle differences and the three games have been so different, there’s just been different types of schemes that we face that may be part of it as well. But I wouldn’t say that I’ve noticed something dramatic.”

(On what else about the Texans’’ defense that stands out to Coach Bevell…) “I think the pressure. As much pressure as they bring, they pressure eighty something percent of the time. So there’s always going to be an extra rusher. There always bringing five, they can bring six. So they do a good job with that and that’s something that we are really going to have to be on our toes for.”

(On how the extra pressure will affect play calls…) “I think we have to do it all. I don’t think that you ever want to just live in one thing because they can attack that. If you live in one type of protection, if you’re going to put everybody in and block up seven guys, than they can attack that type of protection as well. So you got to be able to jump in and out of it and like I said, you have to be able to take care of running the football, which is something huge for us. They react different to when you start doing play actions and it kind of gets them off their game a little bit.”

(On how coach Bevell feels about the improvements of the Seahawks’ running game…) “Yeah I think we have. We figured out that was what we did. You know, tried to get too cute in that first game and then the last two games, we’ve really tried to bring it back to our bread and butter, things that we do well and in the two games, there was some differences. In the 49wer game, there was a little bit more of the run game with Russell [Wilson] and then the last game, there wasn’t as much of that. So we still feel like we have our core stuff that we are able to use every game. But it’s not something that you could just say, ‘okay this is exactly what we have to defend.’”

(On a balance in the run game…) “Yeah there’s different parts of those plans in the game plan and we kind of jump in and out of them. We see how they’re defending things and it doesn’t even have to be… some of the pass plays can show us what the look is that they’re trying to get to; to take care of some of that. So all of that kind of goes in together. Then we play off of how the defense is defending us that way.”

(On Kellen Davis…) “Really excited about him. He’s a big body, we were able to get him involved, we have kind of given him certain packages because he wasn’t here through training camp. Just kind of building on it a little bit at a time. But, he’s really a versatile guy. He can play the ‘Y’ position, but he also runs well enough, catches well enough he could play the ‘U.’ So we’re trying to do all of that stuff with him right now. Just give him little packages that he can really hone in on, as well as he’s trying to pick up the rest of it.”

Absolutely!

No BobbyK this isn’t about Hutch, it’s about
    Rishaw Johnson moving up-

3. raymaines says:

Bevel says: (On if knowing where all players are at is a challenge…) “Well in different situations, they do yes. So, yeah you have to account for them all. The types of players they have as well, when you get them into a nickel or dime situation, there nose comes off the field and then they have all of those different guys that can move.” blah, blah, blah…

Lets look at this from a Houston point of view, or anybody else’s point of view facing the Seahawks. “Holy cow! Everybody on the front seven can do everything. We don’t even know what position their guys are going to line up in. All we really know is their DB’s are better than our receivers.”

4. JesusHernadez says:

This blog is sliding, and fast.

5. chuck_easton says:

Well then if you don’t like the blog contribute something of value or go find another site.

Todd is giving a ton of information and not just a bunch of links to articles on other sites.

That and he’s been on the job for six whole days.

If you’re not part of the solution, you are part of the problem Jesus.

6. I don’t see any slippage whatsoever. The Insider is rolling along quite well and the Seahawks are finally a dominant force that all of us know should (not can) win any given Sunday. These are good times.

“By the time we get to Houston we’ll be rising”
    “We’ll find Chemistry on the O-line unlike before”
    “We’ll laugh when we win this game on Sunday”
    “Cause we’ve never been this good before”

“By the time some Seahawks fans wake up we’ll be leading”
    “We’ll prob’ly give lynch the game ball”
    “And we’ll likely win the turnover battle”
    “And that is why the Texans will fall”

By the time I get to Phoenix- Glenn Campbell.

8. MoSeahawk12 says:

The blog is expanding and pointing upwards actually. We are given new information many times a day and not just fluff, but reliable info that will come into play during game time. If you want to get off JesusH, might as well jump!

Thanks for making your first post so memorable.

9. HawkFromDay1 says:

I’m really enjoying the big trasncripts from the interviews. Even if its all the same coach speak over and over, I still like seeing the whole transcript.

Just a fascinating game coming up – Houston has underacheived so far. Just don’t want them getting well on our account. Their pass rush and our protection is not a favorable match up for us… let’s see if those guys can step up here a little bit. Good challenge.

Todd is not giving any more content than Williams did. Yet. Of course he’s pulling double duty and is only getting his feet wet, here.

Implying that Eric’s posts are “fluff” as Mo did is silly. Just don’t feed the trolls, Mo. You’re better off…

11. The comment that stood out for me from Bevell was that Houston brings at least 5 guys all the time.

That would suggest that Russell must read well where the rush is coming from and use that to his advantage. First thought would suggest that he then will attack the area the extra rusher came from, but the good defenses will float another player into that area, to make it harder to find the weak spot.

Having a QB with smarts and who loves to prepare makes it more likely that he will make the right reads to find the mismatches.

12. Rare post from a longtime lurker here (and from the Amsterdam airport no less) — but wondering if anyone in the gang here knows whether Houston has faced a lot of read option, and if so how they have fared? My sense is that AFC teams have seen a lot less of it on average, since key RO teams were CAR, SF, SEA, WAS, i.e., in the NFC — but maybe that’s not true? Anyway, curious if anyone has a view, since that seems like something we could use to slow down Houston’s pressure a bit…

13. montanamike2 says:

I think we have mostly a passing game for this one, we might be able to pound it but i’m not sure. JesusHernadez said last night that the blog was going downhill fast, it’s already going uphill now that he’s gone.
    Maybe the 49’rs blog is going uphill right now?

14. montanamike2 says:

Speaking of the 49’rs, i don’t remember goldenshowernate coming back after the game, does anybody remember seeing him? I bet if they had even won by a field goal he would have been back, unfortanately for them all they got was a field goal.

15. SandpointHawk says:

Goldengate came back and said good game. He was fairly classy about the loss.

16. montanamike2 says:

Thanks SandpointHawk i didn’t know that, that changes my opinion of him.
    I also reverse my opinion that Trent Richardson won’t make much difference for the Colts because i know what i saw last Sunday. He might not be Lynch but not many are. I like what i saw from C.Michael the other day.

17. montanamike2 says:

I won’t refer to him as Goldenshowernate anymore. Just a regular trash talking fan of another team.

18. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Who should we be rooting for tonight?? I’m not really sure of the answer but i’m rooting for the Rams because well, we all know why!

I didn’t know Maragos was a walk-on the same year Watt was at Wisconsin-

20. Screensmoke says:

Dukeshire get a grip! Eric is toast!we r moving on- this blog kicks ass- just like the hawks- new guy doing great- his posts very informative and interesting ! Eric was awesome as well.act like your team – Be a man!

21. Goldengate came back and was very classy IMO. I certainly didn’t expect it. He’s a shining star in the world of Whiners’ fans.

That’s right, there’s a game tonight. Reminds me to get the picks in.
    Rams all the way.

Yea, Goldengate was classy.

Straight up trade- Goldengate for Yangster?

Looks like we might be seeing Winfield down the road when we play the Vikings this year.

25. I think the blog seems pretty normal to me – maybe a few less comments from some, but otherwise fine.

I am not surprised that Winfield may come back to play this year – I felt his decision to retire was hasty and a reaction to getting cut by the Seahawks. Speaking of CB’s cut by Seattle….. did anyone else notice how well Blackmon played vs. the Seahawks last weekend?

26. MoSeahawk12 says:

Sorry Duke, by no means was I implying that Eric provided less than excellent work and was not the fluff I was speaking of. I was trying to convey there are a lot of other teams content that is lacking and had little important content. Eric was great and took this space to very high levels.

27. MoSeahawk12 says:

I actually left out the line “fluff like some other teams” in my original comment.

Original post-“We are given new information many times a day and not just fluff, but reliable info that will come into play during game time.”

Should have read “We are given new information many times a day and not just fluff like some other teams, but reliable info that will come into play during game time.”

Again, I think Eric gave us a ton of great content and his work here promoted him to another job, so that speaks for itself.

28. rramstad says:

blocis wrote “Not sure about you guys, but the interview transcripts are not useful to me. I watch the video of the same interviews on Seahawks.com”

Complete opposite here. I can read the transcript in less than half the time it would take to watch the video, and I don’t like watching videos, if I get distracted or something comes up I have to pause and it’s hard to remember the context without backing up, as opposed to a transcript where it’s much easier for me to stop and start. (Can you tell I have kids? LOL)

I also find sometimes the room is loud and it’s hard to hear the questions… or the coach or player will mumble or speed up or get oddly quiet… the transcript is MUCH easier for me to deal with. I really don’t like having to listen to the same section four times to figure out what was said.

29. Do the picks matter anymore? Is the Pigskin Picks thing going to be maintained by the TNT?