News, notes and quotes from Carroll: Bryant and Kearse healing

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:53 pm with 22 Comments »
September 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Pete Carroll said Red Bryant has back spasms that should calm down within 3-4 days. Wide receiver Jermaine Kearse is out of his walking boot after spraining his ankle Sunday. Carroll said he is “moving around pretty good today.”

Carroll also said OL Breno Giacomini was pulled from the game because he was “hobbling” out there. Giacomini has a sore knee.

Linebacker Malcolm Smith will be ready this week. Carroll said he was pretty much ready last week, but they made a roster decision to give him another day.

UPDATE: The Seahawks have officially place Russell Okung on the injured reserve list with a designation to return. They also made the signing of T Caylin Hauptmann to the practice squad official.

On to the quick hits:

> Carroll said Paul McQuistan was better Sunday. “No breakdowns,” Carroll said. McQuistan and the rest of the line will have a huge challenge with J.J. Watt this Sunday.

> Carroll said he thought the offense functioned better. Getting rid of the penalties — the offense had just two — helped them get some rhythm.

> In regard to Chris Clemons: “This week I think we’ll get some more out of him.”

> The Seahawks are plus-6 in turnovers three weeks into the season despite two turnovers Sunday. Carroll said that will continue to be the priority.

> Carroll also said rookie offensive linemen Alvin Bailey and Michael Bowie played well. “We’re really excited,” Carroll said about them. He thinks the talent is there, just needs to figure out how to get them more game action.

> Of defensive lineman Michael Bennett, Carroll said they picked up, “more than we thought” when they signed him. Carroll touted Bennett’s versatility and effort.

> Carroll said he thinks Russell Wilson has always thrown guys open or trusted them enough to put the ball up and allow them to make plays. We saw examples of that Sunday with Golden Tate and Sidney Rice.

> Center Max Unger has a left arm issue that Carroll did not get into specifics about.

> Carroll also lauded Tate for how he has handled punt returns. He said Tate makes the proper read most of the time and the yards that he either saves or gains are crucial.

> On the overall start: “It’s a good start.” He said of defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, “I can feel the difference in Dan’s emphases.”

> Carroll said he thought Tate’s block that injured Jacksonville safety Dwight Lowery was legal and that he hopes Lowery is all right. The Seahawks have not heard from the league about it.

1. SandpointHawk says:

Don’t like the Max Unger news, nor the lack of specifics by Pete on the subject..

Tate is a vicious blocker. And I’ll also say that he’s improved by miles his punt returning. He’s really become a tough nosed football player. Personally, I didn’t think he had that in him when they first drafted him. He’s really improved in all areas.

3. Southendzone says:

Did anyone see that shot during the game where RW was taking snaps on the sidelines from Lemeul Jeanpierre? I didn’t understand it at the time, and Unger played the rest of the game as far as I know.

Maybe this thing about his arm was close to keeping him out on Sunday.

4. rramstad says:

Jeanpierre was definitely in on Sunday for a while. I do not know if he was at center or elsewhere but one would assume center.

I don’t like the Unger news either.

6. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Line injuries make me nervous. Russell may be running for his life this week. Houston is gonna blitz the hell out of us.

7. MoSeahawk12 says:

I wonder if that has anything to do with the consistently low snaps that Unger has been sending back the past few weeks. His snaps seem to be slow and off target. Hope it’s not serious. The O-line is going to have it’s hands full with the Texans D.

8. MoSeahawk12 says:

Yep, the Texans are more than just JJ Watt. Cushing has been a monster this season and Ed Reed should be back. Going too be a huge test.

Unger snaps with his right arm. But I have no doubt it’s affecting his blocking, which has been poor this young season.

Remember the last time we faced Andre Johnson? It wasn’t pretty. Fortunately we have a better team now and Johnson is hobbling.

11. raymaines says:

I suppose being a stripper has it’s own special rewards, but it sounds like a tough life to me.

12. montanamike2 says:

I guess it’s for reelz.

Tate is the new Hines Ward.

BTW- if Shanahan had any balls he would be starting Cousins.

15. JazBadAzz says:

GH I was thinking the same thing for theft pay year or so. Today I was reading on the other party comments about it being between him or Rice and had to lol a little. Golden style of play is unique and he is great after the catch, play maker! Rice on the other hand is a more common receiver and can be found. I trust the fact that he got such a huge contract was because free agents were not interested in coming here back then, but ol’ buddy that has changed drastically! Not to mention Rice bad knees.

16. Unger has never been good at shotgun snaps. This season has been nothing new.

17. JazBadAzz says:

Todd (or anyone withknowledge) could you tell me ifof the Seahawks have been fined and what was the offense? Thanks a lot!

18. I hope they are being smart with whatever is bothering Unger. The good news is that I think his back-up (Lemuel Jeanpierre) is solid.

19. Agree with Duke that Tate can (surprisingly) be a devastating blocker. Its interesting to me that he seems to look for and relish the chance to unload on defensive players looking the wrong way – but in a normal WR / CB straight on block he isn’t nearly as interested. He definitely likes the BIG play receiving AND blocking.