Morning links: Things are lining up for the Seahawks

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:17 am with 36 Comments »
September 23, 2013 10:20 am
Sidney Rice snags one of his two touchdowns Sunday. / AP photo
Sidney Rice snags one of his two touchdowns Sunday. / AP photo

Good morning.

> Our Dave Boling points out it wasn’t a good day for the NFC West, outside of the Seahawks, or for other “contenders” in the NFC.

With the 45-17 win over Jacksonville on Sunday, the Seahawks are 3-0, and although much of the conference is crumbling around them, they say it’s premature to look around at the standings or make grand presumptions.

Then I’ll do it for them. The biggest challenge the Seahawks will face this season is the two consecutive road trips, at Houston and Indianapolis, that are next on the schedule.

If they can even split the next two, they’re a threat to run the table and easily earn home-field advantage through the playoffs.

> Our other columnist, John McGrath, says Golden Tate is making his mark as a playmaker, especially with Percy Harvin yet to be in the mix:

An ebullient sort more prone to smile than lose himself in deep thoughts, Tate appeared to have a downsized role after the Hawks acquired Harvin for a 2013 first-round draft choice, along with a No. 3 and No. 7 in 2014. Considering Tate’s contract status — his rookie deal expires after this season — he was looking like he might be the odd man out.

And though coach Pete Carroll emphasized that the trade with the Vikings was all about Harvin and not a repudiation of Tate, there’s only so many all-purpose threats an offensive huddle can accommodate.

> Here’s my game story from Sunday’s drubbing of the Jaguars.

> Here’s our notebook talking about the return of Brandon Browner and Chris Clemons.

> Jacksonville is taking stock of just how bad things are. From the Florida Times-Union:

The Jaguars don’t have anything — no wins, no rhythm on offense, no consistency on defense and no end to the losing in sight.

As the largest underdog in team history (19½ points), the Jaguars posed little resistance to the rolling Seattle Seahawks, dropping a 45-17 decision at rainy-turned-sunny CenturyLink Field.

> The Everett Heralds’ John Boyle said the Seahawks do what good teams do. From Boyle:

They got ahead, dominated on both sides of the ball, and eventually emptied their bench on the way to a comfortable victory. Yet as much as this was the expected outcome, it shouldn’t be taken for granted. Very few people thought the 49ers would lose at home to the Colts Sunday, or that the Packers and Falcons, two of the NFC’s top teams a year ago, would both be 1-2.

> Peter King ranks the Seahawks second, behind Denver, in his Fine 15.

> Apparently, Frank Gore wasn’t happy with Jim Harbaugh.

> Texans star receiver Andre Johnson left the game Sunday with a bruised shin and is unsure if he will be ready to play against the Seahawks.

> The Texans were blown out by the Ravens, which scored on defense and special teams. From the Houston Chronicle:

If the Texans’ offense is this hapless against the Ravens, imagine how helpless it might be against a Seattle defense that specializes in pulverizing opponents and just might be the NFL’s best.

“This better be a wake-up call because we can’t keep playing like this,” inside linebacker Brian Cushing said. “We keep digging holes, and good teams like the Ravens make you pay for that. We’ve got to get going from the beginning.”

1. yankinta says:

I’m now convinced that Golden Tate will be resigned and Rice will be gone, next year. I don’t think we can afford to keep him, even if he agress to a paycut.

2. yankinta says:

How did this guy ever got to be the Super Bowl official for us back in 2005? I thought only the top officials got to be SB officials…..smh….

3. chuck_easton says:

I don’t agree Yank (I know, big shock). All I keep hearing from Wilson and the other WR’s is how important Rice is. Wilson raved about how he can just trust Rice to be there and to win the fight for the ball.

Tate is a spectacular playmaker, but supposedely so is Harvin. I could see Tate being gone and the team going forward with Baldwin, Rice, Harvin, and Kearse.

Tate still doesn’t run consistant routes. I noticed a couple of times yesterday where Wilson was talking to Tate after the play about where he expected him to be.

4. daveboling says:

Good link, yankinta. I can understand missing a play because you didn’t see it. But it’s amazing he wouldn’t know the rules.

5. yankinta says:

Chuck, I’d agree with you if RW was making the decision and if we did not have Salary Caps. :)

6. MoSeahawk12 says:

I posted this on the last tread. Coleman made some nice blocks yesterday, so this probably isn’t as big a deal, but Mike Rob was one of the team leaders and the O-line played better when he was here. Surprised the team didn’t ask him to reduce his salary as well. Coleman should continue to get better and Marshawn’s trust in him will grow the more they play together.

Run the table after the Houston and Indy games? *That* is premature considering they still have to travel to Atlanta and have the Saints (at home). There is a long, long way to go.

8. ChrisHolmes says:

I think, in the end, Tate will be re-signed and Rice will restructure his deal. This WR corps is going to be solid for a while.

9. Southendzone says:

Anyone see that the Cards safety Rashad Johnson lost the end of his finger in Sundays game? The AZ beat reporter said “He took the glove off and the finger was still in it” !!!

10. HawkfaninMT says:

@Duke: He said a *threat* to run the table if they go 5-0. I would say they are a threat to go undefeated right now. I wouldn’t bet they will, I wouldn’t even say they probably will… But i don’t feel like saying they are a threat to his out of the question.

just my opinion

11. Agree with ChrisHolmes – I believe Rice and/or Miller restructures and Tate stays a Seahawk.

The other point I would make is that Tate and Rice are both WR’s, but are not interchangeable. The biggest threat to Rice’s place on the team is from the 2014 NFL draft.

12. I agree with the essence of what Dave says, that the next two weeks will be pivotal and tell us alot about how much success the team will have this year. But agree with Duke that the Atlanta and New Orleans games will be challenging – would love to put a hurting on the Falcons.

I just think that whipping one of the worst teams in recent memory has skewed some people’s perspective. Not to mention, it only takes an injury or two to completely change a season’s course. As good as they are and as great a start they’re off to, let’s all calm down. There is so far to go yet.

14. yankinta says:

Nah, there’s nothing wrong with thinking we could go 5-0. I say if we keep them under 80 Rushing yards,, the next 2 games will be a blowout win by the Seahawks….

As for Falcons and Saints,, we should get Harvin back by then so I’m not that worried about those games…..we will get back our Pro Bowl LT before the Saints game…

15. freedom_X says:

If you want exuberant, it seems like Colts fans and watchers now have themselves penciled in for the Super Bowl.

Tate seems to the type of personality that would enjoy being the focus of an offense. If he has a great season, enhanced by the extra opportunities granted by Harvin’s absence, I’d expect him to move on.

Even if the money were equal, Tate might well prefer to be the #1 target for a team’s offense. To be honest, Tate only sticks around IMHO if Rice flops (does no better than last year and thus gets cut due to excessive salary vs. production) or Tate has a standstill season (not much better than the one he had last year despite the extra chances.)

16. yankinta says:

freedom_X, The Cap Numbers for Rice for next 3 years are too high for us to keep him. He’d have to take a huge paycut. Tate wouldn’t make above 5.5 Mil per year, if we were to re-sign him. We already have a WR making No.1 WR money. We can’t have 2 guys making that No.1 Receiver money, if we want to extend Earl and Sherman too. I’m pretty sure Rice will be cut. I like him though. But I think I like Tate better with that lower price tag.

17. yankinta says:

As for the Colts, their high hopes will come crashing down to Earth the day after they play us. :)

I love the enthusiasm here, but it’s clear who’s been around longer than others. lol. That’s not intended to be an insult, it’s just that many very promising season have been derailed in a heart beat. It’s only September…

19. freedom_X says:

Mainly, I view Tate and Harvin as the same type of player. So if Tate earns a #1 WR type contract this year – it’s hard for me to picture Seattle having two WR’s who are the same type of guy. Harvin is why I think Tate moves on from the perspective of the franchise.

If Rice takes the pay cut (which I agree has to happen in any circumstance – at least a restructuring if Rice has a monster season) then he offers a complementary/different type of receiver. I suppose if Stephen Williams really steps up, Rice could be expendable considering his price tag. Unless Rice gets hurt or drops off in performance, I don’t see Williams getting the PT to prove it though.

It’s likely Rice (and Miller’s) contracts were deliberately structured to be redone or terminated in year 4. Seattle might have been just using up surplus cap space while they built the team, anticipating by year 4 that they would have alternate options from a much improved roster. And the players didn’t get shafted, because they got plenty of $$$$ up front.

20. yankinta says:

Nah,, sometime having fresh perspective is a lot better than Old ways of thinking. Look at what the Seahawks have done with their new way of thinking and Others Franchises getting stuck in their old ways of thinking… :)

21. yankinta says:

freedom_X,, Miller’s Cap number for next year is very low. They structured it that way so that they can keep him in year 4 and 5. Tate would not be able to get No.1 WR money,, not with us and not from any other teams. He’d probably sign for a No.2 WR money,, which would be under 6 mil per year.

This isn’t “fresh perspective” or any such non-sense. That is, this isn’t scheme or tradition or how to scout talent or the like. This is simply a matter of fact. It’s September. This team has plenty of room to improve and will need to, along with staying healthy, in order for them to bring home the Lombardi, which is the ultimate goal.

23. yankinta says:

lol, Bringing home the Lombardi will be a lot easier if we go 5-0. :) which is very possible to do. Our Run-D will just have to be awake at 10AM.

24. dirtbiker_joey says:

Been a LONG time since the Seahawks have been this good, if ever. I don’t care if I am getting ahead of myself, but I’m going to keep enjoying it, keep insisting that my team is the best in the NFL, keep believing that 19-0 is a possibility (after-all, it is a possibility for every 3-0 team today), and not worry about any disappointments in the past. Enjoy the ride, fellas! It doesn’t get much better than this.

25. SandpointHawk says:

Yank get off of it. Yes we could go 5-0. Then we could have a spell of major injuries and end up 5-11…Don’t count you chickens son…One game at a time…

Yank doesn’t remember the undefeated Pats losing in the Super Bowl, I’m presuming. Or 11-5 teams missing the playoffs altogether. 5-0 would be awesome! But 5-0 still leaves 11 regular season games which can be an eternity in the NFL. But if he chooses to not see it that way, more power to him.

Speaking of staying healthy. Injuries are already starting to hit some teams hard.-

It always sucks to have an early bye, but the Packers need it. They’re reeling right now.

29. Went to yesterday’s game in person, and these observations are probably old hat to those of you who go regularly, but it’s been a long while since I’ve been able to make it up to Seattle for a game. First thing you notice is that TV doesn’t fully convey how much the fans/fan noise ups the energy and stress level for the other team when our defense is on the field. And I love the symbiotic relationship btwn the fans and the team right now – both love and feed off of each other (and I realize this might not be quite the case if our team wasn’t doing this well) – and at times, I was even reminded of a rock concert, when guys would do things outside of game play (one time Red did a couple dance steps to a song on the loudspeaker), and the fans would notice and react like crazy. Was really fun for me and my boys to be a part of it all.

The other big think is how much more you can tell about the pass game when you get to see it all unfold in person. You can really tell if guys are getting open, and how they are working (or not) to do it. Russell also looked much faster in person than when I watch him on TV – I always thought of him as extremely quick/athletic, but his pure speed is much better than I’d thought.

The competitive part of the game was over kind of early, but well worth the trip, wish I could do it more often.

pdway – Where do you live, if I may?

31. Los Angeles. My folks are still up in Seattle.

32. MoSeahawk12 says:

It’s a good thing this team is not looking ahead at going 5-0. These guys actually seem to be taking one game at a time. Some of the younger ones here don’t remember past teams would play up or down to that weeks competition. They would beat a strong, playoff quality team one week and then lose to a terrible team the following week. This went on for years, different coaching staffs and often led to maddening 9-7, 8-8 seasons. Good enough to almost make the playoffs, bad enough to stay average and never gain better draft position.

I really feel coach Carroll has focused these guys in and they are far different than any team we’ve seen before. Yesterday’s game is a great example. The Jags are as bad as any team we’ve seen in the last ten years, yet our starters nailed them to the wall. Outside of a generous turnover by a slightly off thrown pass that hit Tate’s hands, these guys didn’t score until many starters were out. The fact that the starting D was unhappy about the yards and points gained after they came out is also telling.

These guys want to be the best. We want them to be the best. If they stay the course and keep playing at this level they should end up the best. It’s great to be proud of the team and imagine them going 5-0 or 19-0 whatever that number would end up as. I’m just glad the team is focusing on each weeks opponent and taking care of business.

33. The favorite to win the Super Bowl at the start of the season or in fact the start of the play-offs has had a VERY hard time winning it the last few years. The play-offs are a crap shoot all about match-ups – injuries- and a little bit of luck mixed in – I hope we are 5-0, would be very happy with 4-1, to be honest a little disappointed with 3-2 but all of those could be reality

34. tealskin says:

Think it’s ok for the fans to go all 19-0, as long as the coachs and players don’t get caught up in it. Have a feeling the next two games will do a good job of bringing everybody back to earth. Looking forward to the team rising to the challenge and getting some hard-fought wins.

35. yankinta says:

lol, clam down, people,, I was just saying it’d be a lot easier….not guaranteed…

I’m not looking at 18 games. Only the first 5 games…