Tweet link: Okung gets good news

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:55 am with 21 Comments »
September 20, 2013 12:04 pm

If this is accurate, it means Okung can (not will, but can by rule) return to practice in six weeks and be on the roster in eight weeks.

If Okung goes on the IR with the return designation, and he is placed there this week, he should be eligible to return for the Nov. 17 game vs. the Minnesota Vikings.

Here’s an explanation of short-term injury reserve, a spot the Seahawks have not used yet:

Starting in 2012, the NFL and the NFLPA reached an agreement allowing one player placed on injured reserve to be brought back to the active roster. Provided that the player was on the final 53-man preseason roster (A rule exempted for the 2012 season), and that the injury is deemed to keep this player unable to practice or play football for an estimated six weeks, the player may be allowed to practice after Week 6, and be activated to play after Week 8.

1. MoSeahawk12 says:

Coming back in two months is better than missing the entire season. Still, he’s our best O-lineman by a lot and he protects Wilson’s blind side. Let’s hope the other guys can step up and keep the wins coming.
    Having Okung back late November and stretch run of December can only help. Still looking forward to hearing the official statement from the team.

2. Just caught an RT by Schefter from Santa Clara County Sherriff saying that Aldon Smith was booked into SCC main jail on DUI and possession of a bit of herb…

3. jawpeace says:

Well I don’t really think that is good news compared to some other site I read where they said Okung had a partial tear of some hard to spell toe ligament and would miss two to three weeks.
    I found myself skeptical reading that because if it was only a three week recovery time then Okung would not go get a second opinion on it. At least Okung can return for in time to get in tune for the playoffs and is not out for the year like Denver’s LT.

4. Hardly good news. And it’s still possible he doesn’t return to form this year. I’m not buying we can run our offense effectively with McQ at LT. Hopefully Bailey steps up…Damn it to hell!

5. chuck_easton says:

This is what I expected and have been saying for a few days.

The question will be if the team chooses to place him on IR today or tomorrow or wait until next week.

If he is placed on IR before Sunday he would be eligible to return for November 17th and the Vikes game.

If they don’t put him on IR until next week, he would be out until at least December 2nd due too the bye week.

I think this is what Pete was saying on the radio. They know the diagnosis and now they just need to do the math. If there is a chance they would be pushing it to rush Okung back for the Vikes game they wait until next week and it gives Okung an additional two weeks to heal r

6. yankinta says:

Man,,, I really wanted us to Beat the ATL Falcons!!! Now it gets tougher to win that game on the Road at 10AM, without our Pro Bowl LT!!!

7. HawkfaninMT says:

I am almost completely in step with Chuck on this with one small exception. There is no benefit to waiting until after this weeks game to place him on the IR-Return. They put him on it now and he is elligible for the Vikings game. Just because he is elligible does not mean he has to play. They could just as easily let him sit that game and come back after the bye. Sitting him before Sunday gives the Hawks that flexibility.

So I say IR-Return him now, and get him fixed and rehabbing, and keep him in shape. I image he will become an excellent swimmer and bike rider over the next 8 weeks!

8. HawkfaninMT says:

@Yak: While I agree it makes the job tougher, they also just lost one of their Pass Rush Specialists and a starting OLB. So it isn’t as though they are getting through this year injury free either

9. yankinta says:

HawkfaninMT, for how long? Will they be back to play against us??

10. yankinta says:

I am still hoping that NBC will FLEX that game so that we can play at Night instead of 10AM… we still have room for one more Nationally Televised game, per NFL Rules…

11. I’m still expecting Okung will be out about 8 weeks, and not himself for longer. What I expected, not what I hoped for.

12. MoSeahawk12 says:

Weatherspoon maybe, but he would have just started practicing and I think his first game back would be against un on November 10th.

13. doubledink says:

you deserve your due, Chuck. You nailed it.

14. yankinta says:

LOL I LOVE BILL SIMMONS…. This dude just cracks me up!!

lmbo @ “You might remember that I centered last Friday’s column on the “Should you watch Niners-Seahawks or Breaking Bad?” decision. Well, God ended up deciding for us — He decided to have a one-hour weather delay from 9:05 ET until 10:05 ET, allowing everyone to just watch the episode in real time. ”

15. rramstad says:

yak, the ATL game can’t be flexed. It’s week 10 and flex scheduling starts week 11.

16. HawkfaninMT says:

As stated I think Biermann was IR’d and Witherspoon will be just coming back if he is at all… Should be a fun one!

17. roddychops says:

I think part of the math they are considering is whether or not to put him on the in-season IR at all if they think there’s a chance he could be back sooner.

We still don’t know the prognosis. IR may be likely, but it’s not definite.

18. roddychops says:

…Well, just heard Carroll say he’s going on the IR w/return.
    So ignore that last comment. :P

19. RDPoulsbo says:

I’m not expecting any Seahawk games to be flexed this year. FOX and CBS can each protect a game and they’ll likely want to protect the viewership drawn by Seattle, especially given how unwatchable the teams in the large media markets of the NFC East and AFC North are this year.

I pretty much expected this timeframe. I’d lean toward a longer timeframe, but Week 3 hasn’t even started. There’s still plenty of time for him to recover.

20. SandpointHawk says:

Yak knew the flex rule…he was just saying it…

21. DanielleMND says:

Eight weeks of McQ at LT? Ouch. Here’s hoping Bailey or Bowie get to play and one of them proves to be a better option.