Friday morning links

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:35 am with 28 Comments »
September 20, 2013 8:35 am

As Max Unger put it: “We really haven’t been very good.” He’s talking about offensive efficiency, of course. Pete Carroll stressed it as a focus for this week, and Russell Wilson discusses the things the Seahawks can do about it in my report from yesterday’s practice and press conferences.

The offense was flagged for 10 penalties. On the up-side, though, was the return to action of cornerback Brandon Browner (hamstring), who was listed as a full participant on the injury report. The plan was to see how he responded to practice today before considering his status for Sunday’s game against Jacksonville. With the Hawks favored by nearly three touchdowns, it doesn’t seem critical that he be rushed back into action.

The game might, in fact, be an opportunity to ease DE Chris Clemons back onto the field, and also get some playing time for young linemen such as Michael Bowie or Alvin Bailey, and rookie running back Christine Michael.

Seahawks.com has this video of Richard Sherman’s weekly press conference, which has to be considered must-see for Seahawks fans. Nobody has more fun playing the game – or talking about it – than Sherman. Interceptions off tipped balls? “Like throwing meat out to wolves … everybody wants the ball.” On Kaepernick’s contention that the Seattle secondary “gets away with a lot of stuff” … Sherman says: “ we got away with three picks, two fumbles, five turnovers and a 29-3 victory.”

At Pro Football Talk, Jaguars rookie left tackle Luke Joeckel talked about his early assimilation into the NFL.

Hays Carlyon of the Florida Times-Union offers a story about the Seattle secondary.

Here’s a debate on ESPN discussing the Jags or the Browns as the worst franchise in the NFL.

Speaking of the Browns, former Hawks coach Mike Holmgren drew some attention with his comments on KJR about the Browns trade of Trent Richardson. ESPN recaps with response from Browns CEO Joe Banner

1. Bryan Bulaga, Ryan Clady, Russell Okung… This is a tough year for LT’s on contending teams. Hope you well soon Okung.

2. I also hope you “get” well soon!

3. montanamike2 says:

I would like to see Christine Michael.

4. WiscCory says:

MM2 – I’m with you. Let’s see what this kid can do against NFL starters!!

5. Man, I’m really worried about Okung, seeing Dr. Andrews is never a good thing. Foot injuries are never good, especially for a left tackle like Okung in a zone blocking scheme. I thought last year was going to begin a string of Pro Bowls for him not unlike Walter, but these injuries are aggravating to no end may keep him from ending up in the ring of honor I’m afraid.

6. yankinta says:

I would like to see our Rookie Tackles play the entire game….

I would like to see Russell have a big game QBR above 90 and QB rating above 140.

I would like to see Christine Michael in the second half.

I would like to see our young WR’s playing 10+ snaps.

7. montanamike2 says:

Lol, talking heads are telling people that the Hawks are going to have a letdown! Thanks for the much needed motivation.

8. montanamike2 says:

does the 12th man have enough vocal chords for back to back home games?

9. WiscCory says:

“I would like to see our Rookie Tackles play the entire game….”

I actually agree with you, Yank. Well, unless there are obvious/immediate issues, then it would be smart to get McQ back in to ensure Wilson lives to see another day.

10. yakinta when you say our “young” WRs I’m guessing you mean Kearse(23) and Williams(27)? There’s also Baldwin(24), Tate(25) & old man Rice(27).

I’d like to see the rookie tackles also but maybe after the half or a 20 point lead, whichever comes first.

11. yankinta says:

Galena, yes, I meant Young in Experience,, :)

12. yankinta says:

WiscCory, yes, I want to see the Rookie Tackles split the snaps but play the entire game at left Tackles. We’ve seen enough of McQ and we’ll need our Rookie Tackles when we go to Houston next week.

But I do think our ProBowl LT will be back by Oct 17th. At least that’s what I interpreted from Pete’s interview this morning on KJR….

13. Southendzone says:

Good news coming out on Okung.

Dr andrews diagnosis is that its just a severe case of Camel Toe and should be Ok w/o surgery

14. yankinta says:

Southendzone, where did you read/hear that?

15. SandpointHawk says:

@ Southendzone…LOL…Did you mean moose knuckle?

16. seaturkeys says:

I assume there are multiple definitions of camel toe? I tried googling it but that didn’t help.

17. Southendzone says:

Ok if i got even one person to google camel toe, my day is complete. Happy friday and GO HAWKS!

18. WiscCory says:

Hahahahaha. Good times on the Seahawks Insider blog today.

Does that mean Kelly Ripa and Russell Okung will be going to the same rehab specialist?

19. Camel toe? I think you mean turf toe.

20. doubledink says:

watching Sherman’s presser, he is the one slinging red meat to wolves. He has them eating out of his hand.

Does anyone here know what “camel toe” is? I’m pretty sure he was joking.

22. HeinieHunter says:

Camel Toe is slang. When a womens pants are to tight in the crotch it looks like a camels toe.

23. 12th man is always ready, every year usually get back to back games at home several times a year

24. sluggo42 says:

Thanks Souhtend, I almost choked on my lunch when I read that… Too damn funny

25. yankinta says:

HeinieHunter, I knew that but I thought it was also a medical term with a medical meaning,,, Grrr, I guess he got me!! Payback is a Bit.

26. sluggo42 says:

I want all the kids in the second half, at the same time TJack plays

27. Southendzone says:

Haha, thanks all for giving me a few laughs today.

28. SandpointHawk says:

Southendzone…that was really the kill shot…A greatest all time TNT post…