Sherman says focus is on containing 49ers run game

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:59 pm with 19 Comments »
September 12, 2013 1:59 pm

Yes, Richard Sherman knows that Colin Kaepernick threw for over 400 yards and three touchdowns last week against Green Bay.

Still, Sherman said defensively for Seattle it all starts with stopping Frank Gore and the 49ers running game.

“They have an incredibly consistent run game,” Sherman said. “And I think that’s their bread and butter. They run a lot of play action, and run a lot of their deep routes off play-action pass because their run game is so potent.

“So we’ve got to be able to stop their run game to start off with. Once we can stop their run game, or contain it a bit, then we can focus on everything else. So you work inside-out.”

Stopping San Francisco’s running game is easier said than done.

The 49ers used a series of traps and counters to run for 175 yards in a 13-6 win at Candlestick. But in the second contest last season at CenturyLinnk, Seattle held San Francisco to 82 yards in a 42-13 win at home.

“They always come with some special type of runs when they play us,” Seattle defensive tackle Brandon Mebane said. “So we were prepared the next time they played us, that they were going to come with some different type of things.

“But they weren’t the first team to try and run traps on us. Most other teams tried to run traps before we played them. But we didn’t go about it right, and it happened to where they go some big runs on us.”

Russell Wilson talked about the similarities and differences between himself and San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

“He’s a lot taller than me,” Wilson said, when asked to compare himself to Kaepernick. “He’s pretty fast, too. But I think for us, obviously I have to focus on myself. I think we have a lot of similar abilities in terms of running the ball, and throwing the football and everything – making things happen.

“He’s more of a long strider than me. I’m more of a quick guy, and try to avoid people. But I love the way he plays. He’s a great football player.”

The Seahawks also made a couple roster moves. Wide receiver Tyrone Walker and linebacker Ty Powell were released from the practice squad, and defensive tackle Michael Brooks and offensive lineman Jared Smith were added to the practice squad.

Linebacker Allen Bradford, released to make room for tight end Kellen Davis, was claimed by the N.Y. Giants, according to Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post.

Notes from practice
  1. Crap! Bradford gone to the Giants. I liked him more than Lotu, but thats just sentimental preference–he’s bigger and tougher, and a neat story. I wish him luck in NY! Im glad he was picked up by a contender, but wish it was an AFC team…

2. JazBadAzz says:

It makes me upset that every guy we waive with the potential to bring back gets signed by another team. Pete and John should get finders fees for doing all the leg work on these guys! #GoHawks

I hate to see Bradford go.

4. yankinta says:

Yeah, I worry more about Stopping the run than worrying about stopping Boldin. Hope We keep them under 80 rushing yards, and it should be a blow out win for us…. Stopping the run in the first quarter will be a key for us. Gotta set the tone!!

5. SlickToxic21 says:

Way to rock the “throwback” hat R-Dub!!!

Wilson rocking a throwback cap. Nice.

I totally agree with Sherman. They’ve got to stop the run, and that’s a real challenge. Their scheme up front is so effective. SF runs traps and counters as Eric noted, as well as any team in football. Gore gets loose with any consistency, it will be a long night.

7. This is one of those games that brings so much hype and excitement that it’s easy to get side tracked with the rivalry and forget just how good San Fran is. This game can set the tempo for the division race.

RS is right on when he says we need to stop their running game. And not just Gore. We need to stop Kap also. And then relentless pressure against the pass.

8. MoSeahawk12 says:

I think a blowout is highly unlikely. This is not the same team we faced last fall. They are fresh and didn’t just face the Patriots in New England like they did last year before that game. They were home last week. Now I will say, our D backfield will not allow Boldin to get 200+ yards this week. He’s good, but this matchup favors our crew. Shut him, Davis and Gore down. One may have a good game, but I can’t see all three going off against our D.

Don’t forget there is a third team involved, Special teams. That’s where we will win this game imo. Also we will win the turnover battle imo.

That should give us a 10 to 14 point advantage. Throw in home field and we will have another 3-7 points.

So even if they have 500 yards to 350(Which I don’t think will happen) for us we will most likely win.

10. yakimahawk says:

Anyone know if Carroll talked about how BB and Mebane are doing?

11. yankinta says:

Nah, I’m predicting a win by 2 TDs or more, if we keep them below 80 total rushing yards. Boldin will have like 70 yards total receiving,,, no matter what. Maybe I’m wrong and people will call me out on Monday but that’s just a risk I’m willing to take. :)

12. doubledink says:

pass the Koolaid…

13. tchristensen says:

Russell Wilson should exploit the 49’ers secondary as much as possible. They’re not as strong as last year.

14. yankinta (is that like Yank In Ta(homa)?)

Your prediction is that SEA holds SF to about 80 yds rushing, like last season’s week 16? Still, that game SF’s Kaepernick got 244 yds passing. Kaepernick’s main receivers that game were M.Crabtree, D.Walker, R.Moss, and G.Celek. Davis had one target and one catch that game for 27 yds.

Last week, GB held SF to 90 yds rushing, but Kaepernick got 412 yds passing. Over half of that (208 yds) went to A.Boldin, V.Davis caught 98 yds, K.Williams, B.Miller, F.Gore, and V.McDonald divied up the remander about equally. Kaepernick’s NFL QB ratings that game:

No pressure: 142.8
    Pressure: 68.2
    No blitz:

Week 7 at candlestick, SEA got 136 yds rushing and only 122 yds passing. In week 7 with QB A.Smith, SF got 175 yds rushing and 140 yds passing. Their

In week 7 Justin Smith was healthy and SEA averaged 4.7 yds/run attempt and 5.3 yds/pass attempt, and in week 16 without facing Justin Smith SEA got 4.5 yds/run attempt but 8.1 yds/pass attempt. RW faced more pressure when

15. I think this one will be super close – may be the team with the last drive wins – I’m looking for a 23-21 Hawks win . . . .

16. Oops, dang it, I didn’t mean to click the “post” button. Please ignore the above post, I’m not finished with it…

17. Yea duke that is pretty awesome. Pretty amazing view from way up there, not to mention, the 12s have now been to space

18. Yeah,it was a great video. Glad it landed in a wheat field and not on me as I was sitting in my lawn chair enjoying a nice cool brew after a long day at work.Go Hawks!