Each week, Pro Football Focus, a stats-based football analysis web site, reviews NFL games using their game charting system.
It’s worth a look. And I’ll try to pass along any pertinent stats each week.
You can take a deeper look at the Seahawks-Carolina game reviewed by Neil Hornsby here.
* Seattle rotated receivers frequently, with four different receivers playing 29 or more snaps.
* Although he played just 12 snaps, Derrick Coleman was a bright spot due to his run blocking.
* As for the offensive line, three different members graded very poorly overall (James Carpenter, J.R. Sweezy, and Max Unger).
* Russell Wilson showed that good quarterback play can make up for many poor performances by others, throwing 27 of his 32 aimed passes on target. That’s an Accuracy Percentage of 84.4%.
* Beast Mode found little room to run most of the day, gaining an less than 0.8 yards/attempt before contact.
* Doug Baldwin secured 7-of-8 targets for 91 yards. He gained 25 yards after the catch.
* After a nearly flawless preseason, Stephen Williams dropped his only target of the day.
* Russell Wilson had a perfect QB rating (albeit in 2 attempts) when throwing to Jermaine Kearse.
* O’Brien Schoefield had an uneven day, missing a tackle and performing poorly against the run, but rushing the passer effectively and recording a sack, hurry, and hit.
* Michael Bennett didn’t quite get a sack, but he did hit Cam Newton on three separate occasions.
* Red Bryant put in a solid all-around performance, grading the highest overall of any member of the Seahawks defense.
* Although Byron Maxwell allowed two catches out of three targets, they went for only eight yards. He also broke up a pass and achieved the highest coverage grade on the team in just 17 coverage snaps.
* Similarly, Richard Sherman had 3-of-4 passes completed into his coverage, also breaking up a pass and allowing just 19 yards.
* Tony McDaniel notched three stops in 15 snaps against the run for an impressive Run Stop Percentage of 20%.
* When using Play Action, Russell Wilson’s QB rating was 142.6 as he went 11-for-14 with 182 yards and a touchdown.