Morning links: New faces highlight Hawks roster

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:17 am with 57 Comments »
September 3, 2013 8:17 am
Seattle Seahawks running back Derrick Coleman (40) tries to break the tackle of San Diego Chargers defensive back Sean Cattouse (40) during the second half of an NFL preseason football game Thursday, Aug. 8, 2013, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Denis Poroy)

Dave Boling of The News Tribune writes that even though Pete Carroll said it would be tough to make it on his final roster, 17 new faces managed to break onto the team this year.

Boling: “That’s a turnover of roughly one-third of the roster. There are eight rookies with the club, three who weren’t drafted, and two others who were taken in the sixth and seventh rounds.

One of the rookies, Benson Mayowa of Idaho, made the team after being initially noticed at a regional scouting combine (i.e., cattle call). Tight end Luke Willson had just nine catches his senior season at Rice, but had eight in four exhibition games to lead the Seahawks.

Here’s my story on Chris Clemons taking the field for the first time on Wednesday.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com highlights one of the surprises on the final roster, second-year fullback Derrick Coleman.

Danny O’Neil of 710 ESPN Seattle delves into Carroll’s tough roster moves.

ESPN’s Terry Blunt writes that Carroll is pleased with the roster upgrade.

ESPN’s Mike Sando takes a closer look at where the draft picks for every NFC West team wound up.

Mike Silver of NFL.com believes the Seahawks are the best team in the NFL.

Pat Kirwan of CBS Sports believes the Seahawks are the No.3 team in football.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com has the details on Chris Harper signing with the 49ers. Maiocco says San Francisco views Harper in a Delanie Walker mold.

Vic Tafur of The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Terrelle Pryor will get the nod over Matt Flynn as the starting quarterback for Oakland.

Joe Person of The Charlotte Observer writes that the Panthers could have a left guard by committee against the Seahawks on Sunday.

Mike Garafolo of USA Today reports that former Jacksonville defensive tackle Kyle Love is expected to workout for Seattle today.

General Seahawks
  1. yankinta says:

Wow, I went away for the long weekend and just found out Mike Rob and Winfield are no longer with the team. I can’t say that I’m surprised though, in fact I sort of called it….

I’m a little surprised that we attempted to put Chris Harper onto PS,, of course he wouldn’t make it. But I’m glad he’s on 49ers though. I think there’s a good chance he’ll be back with us,, when their injured receivers come back during the season.

Can’t wait for Sunday and the Seahawks’ season to begin!!

2. Former Jags (and Pats) DT Kyle Love to work out for the Seahawks today.

Retweeted by Bob Condotta

3. oops! A little quick on that – didn’t look at all of Eric’s post. Sorry!

4. Sekolah says:

I hope Chris Harper enjoys getting his grill kicked in by LB’s and DE’s. S.F.’s system calls for the TE’s to do a lot of blocking. That is potentially a bit of a setback in terms of his development. Makes you wonder how many games he will actually be active for them.

5. grizindabox24 says:

yankinta, Niners are moving Harper the H-back/TE. Not sure injured WRs
    will have anything to do with whether SF cuts him loose

6. RDPoulsbo says:

After a long weekend in the woods, I’m a little surprised by some of the moves. Not that much by the Winfield cut though. I’m hoping Mike Rob is out for a week or so and gets re-signed whenever he’s recovered from that illness. It’s hard to justify keeping 2 FBs on the roster even when the starter is injured. I guess we’ll know if that’s the case in a few weeks.

What’s with all the anger over Harper signing with SF? If anything, it shows how desparate the 49ers are at WR. Harper is decent, but he’s undeveloped. You can’t worry about cuts going to other teams. They were cut because they fell too far down the depth charts to justify keeping them. It shouldn’t worry you that a guy 6th on the depth chart is going to a division rival Seattle has 5 guys ahead of him.

7. montanamike2 says:

Ditto on Mike Rob, i think Harper was supposed to be a good football player who needs some time to develop, but has the potential to be another A.Boldin, even learning from him.

8. montanamike2 says:

He’s very nervous in games but kicks ass in practice.

9. chuck_easton says:

Moving Harper to H-back/TE just might be good for him. He came from a run first school where the WR’s were called on to block more than they were to catch passes.

I wonder why Pete didn’t think of that. Or maybe they did and it was decided it wouldn’t work here in Seattle.

Will be interesting to watch if he can make the transition.

10. Sekolah says:

“I can’t say that I’m surprised though, in fact I sort of called it…”

Way to pat yourself on the back, buddy.

“But I’m glad he’s on 49ers though. I think there’s a good chance he’ll be back with us,, when their injured receivers come back during the season.”

That is highly contingent on a number of variables. For one, the general consensus among those not within S.F.’s organization is that Crabtree’s full recovery THIS season is a bit of a reach. So big wait and see on that one. Not sure about Manningham’s status. You also need to factor in Harper’s position change. If he’s playing TE then whichever WR(‘s) come back before the end of the season is more than likely irrelevant if they decide that they like Harper.

11. I don’t like the idea of the Niners getting any good players, including former Seahawks, but I doubt that Chris Harper can do much to help the Niners this year. Is he another Delanie Walker? Anquan Boldin? We’ll see.

At this point he was the 6th or 7th best WR on the Seahawks, and Pete Carroll didn’t show interest at using him at H-back even though the team has worked several others as H-backs and blockers. They drafted him too high and let him go for good reasons.

12. Carroll says on ESPN 710 Seattle maybe there’d be a chance to get Michael Robinson back “somewhere down the road.”

13. tealskin says:

A thing to consider regarding Harper, every other team except Baltimore passed as far as claiming him on waivers. In contrast to the TE that SF cut that had 6 claims.

14. MikeFromNewJersey says:

We def need some more beef inside. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kyle Love signed today.

15. Does anyone have any information on Michael Robinson’s illness?

Much hand-wringing here over the idea of cutting MikeRob – including by me – but at 30 years old and with an illness that kept him from working out, I would bet that MikeRob understood completely that the team could not save a roster spot for him. I hope that he and the Seahawks are talking, I hope he gets better soon, and I hope he rejoins the team this year.

16. chuck_easton says:

Stevos,

The team is keeping it very hush hush except to say that it really knocked him for a loop.

Supposedly he won’t be anywhere near game shape and weight for several weeks. That was the reason to cut him.

As a vested Vet his 2013 salary of over 2.5 million would have been guaranteed if he was on the roster at the start of this week. The team saved that money on the cap and they can still sign him back if/when he recovers and gets into game shape.

If MRob can overcome whatever this illness is/was I would guess he knows Seattle would love to talk to him about the rest of the year. If whatever this is turns out to be career ending, then I hope MRob retires a Seahawk and they find a position for him somewhere in the organization.

17. yankinta says:

Well, I understand how 49ers intend to use Harper. But I still think he’s too raw and 49ers can’t afford to keep him on Roster all year long,,if they want to contend,, especially if those 2 WR come back during the season.

I’m just saying we have a chance to get him back,,, much better chance than if Harper signed with a bad team.

That’s what I kind of wanted to see happen here with Harper, with regards to using him at TE. I figured if we just kept two TEs (like we did) there would be a good chance that he makes the team.
    Unfortunately those two drops sealed his fate here.

19. I don’t have an issue with cutting Mike Rob if they plan to bring him back once recovered. They also have a better chance of keeping Ware or Coleman if they replace either with Mike Rob later in the year. Hope it’s the case.

20. yankinta says:

I like Mike Rob but I don’t think many people realize he only played a third of the total snaps last year. His contribution to our success is overrated. His leadership is also overrated. We have RW and that is more than enough, since RW is once in a lifetime QB Leader for us Seahawks Fan!!.

I wish Mike Rob is still with us, but if the FO didn’t cut him, I would think a little less of them,, but what can I say, our FO is the REAL DEAL. They do all the right things. I’ve been waiting for us to build a Dynasty since the day I moved to Seattle and became a Football Fan. :)

21. Like Boling pointed out….I’m still trippin on the pure number of new players. 1/3 new players on a very strong roster. That is amazing talent eval and endless film hours to have half that many draft/undrafted players stick on a mediocre roster in the nfl let alone our pretty deep roster. Crazy…

I’m interested to read that Robinson’s contributions have been overrated here. Especially considering how inconsistent (and I’m being kind) the offensive line play has been, and the success Seattle still has had running the ball. If Robinson’s health were the issue, and it certainly appears to be, then I understand. I trust that Seattle will still have tremendous success running the ball, but to revise his critical role in Seattle’s offensive philosophy and commitment is shortsighted, at best.

23. mrchubbs says:

What are the chances they re-sign Robinson at a lower rate (of course)… and convert him to a TE? Don’t we need another TE still?

Crazy thought… I know.

24. yankinta says:

lol, Dukeshire, so you are saying he contributed from the sideline?? He played less than 1/3 of the total offensive snaps…. smh… I love his toughness but c’mon that 2.5 million will be better used on extending our critical guys next year. This is the difference in thinking between Tim Ruskell Era and JS/PC Era. Thank god we’re finally where we want to be and it was worth the wait!.

25. chuck_easton says:

Duke,

It is that strange 12th man disease.

Any player that is currently ON the roster is the best ever. He can’t be replaced. If the team cuts him they will rue the day and it will come back to bite them.

Once a player is traded, cut, or signs elsewhere in FA they are scum. They couldn’t play anyway. The team will be much bette without them. Really, why were they even here?

Anyone who uses 12th man disease to try and minimize what MRob has meant to this team as a lead blocker, as a ST ace and leader, and as an overall locker room force just doesn’t ‘get it’.

Stats do not make the player. Just because MRob doesn’t have the big stats doesn’t mean he wasn’t a vital member of the offense. Just like people say that Zack Miller isn’t a good TE and he should be cut simply because he doesn’t have 1,000 yards in receptions.

Fans tend to forget that pretty much every one of Lynch’s big highlight real runs he was following MRob and Miller was the one that sealed off the edge to spring him.

I blame this whole Fantasy Football garbage. If a guy doesn’t give you points for your PRETEND football team he’s useless.

I only deal in reality. And reality says that this teams needs Miller’s blocking and IF MRob gets healthy the rushing game would improve overnight with his return to the team.

26. SandpointHawk says:

Thanks Duke, that saved me some typing.

I will say as someone who has been in many teams locker rooms that veteran leadership is never overrated…

I have read (somewhere and I don’t have a link for a change) that Mike Rob had been in the hospital twice since he got sick and has lost 20 lbs, and is no longer in game shape.

After week two his salary won’t be guaranteed, as several others have pointed out and if the Hawks make a move I would expect it then…

27. yankinta says:

All of you are delusional…. lol. Yeah, I saw it over and over again how he cheered/willed our run game to improve from the sideline, last year. :) I mean, that Dude was soooo good he didn’t even have to be on the field 2/3 of the time for our run game to be top 3 run game in the league. We should sign him for the next 7 years,,, smh…

28. MoSeahawk12 says:

He was also special teams captain, great lead blocker and Russell Wilson’s protector as well as “Marshawn’s eyes” according to Lynch. The actual amount of snaps he took or the amount of time he spent on the sidelines should not by any means reduce his value and effectiveness or leadership on this team. His salary can be used towards extending other players, but as Lynch is getting stuffed week one and Russell takes a few hits because Coleman or Ware missed blocks, then we’ll know what he was really worth. Not that it would matter this week as Mike Rob lost a lot of weight and wouldn’t be playing in this game even if he didn’t get cut. I’m hopeful Coleman and Ware learn fast as they both had their moments in preseason.

29. chuck_easton says:

MRob didn’t get the yankster any FF points so he’s obviously not important.

Tell Lynch how unimportant MRob is/was. Lynch has said how much he felt like he an MRob were in synch. Lynch said he could trust MRob to pick the right hole so Lynch just followed. He’s not going to have that with Coleman.

Lynch’s numbers are going to be down this year and the people like yankster will be saying it’s because he’s ‘losing a step’. They won’t even consider that Lynch doesn’t have his favorite lead blocker as one of the primary reasons Lynch won’t be as effective.

Also MRob was a master at picking up the blitz. Wilson is going to be running for his life in these first few games while Coleman and/or Ware learn how to recognize the disguised blitz.

If/when MRob is signed back to the team late this season, then people will see what he contributed to Seattle’s run game.

30. MoSeahawk12 says:

Excellent post chuck. The “get it” part is also from those that have never played a team sport. They have lots of stats and can spew numbers nonsense, but they don’t understand how real and valuable respected leaders are to a team. Mike Rob played one of the most unglamorous positions in football. His mindset, skill, desire and professionalism are what paved the way for Lynch to have a career year. He made the average O-line better. I’m betting they find a way to bring him back in a few weeks if he gets well.

31. HawkFromDay1 says:

Robinson can’t go right now. He just can’t.

So you better go get somebody – and they did – Coleman and Ware.

But, anyone who thinks the 53-man roster won’t change from week to week has not been following this team for the past 3 years.

I will say this: I’d rather carry two fullbacks than 2 kickers…

32. yankinta says:

lol, for those of you that like to assume without facts,, here’s a fact for you. I have never played Fantasy Football. I don’t even know how that works…. smh,,, I am only interested in REAL Football. I don’t even play Madden Football. I don’t own play station or Nitendo or X-Box. I never have. Sorry that’s this is a huge bummer for these people,,, :)

yankinta – Seattle had fewer pass attempts than any team in the league, last season; does that mitigate Russell Wilson as a QB? Certainly not. In just the same way your “less than one third” argument has no relevance to Robinson’s contributions.

34. Chuck, I have to give your post, above, post of the year.

It’s funny how some don’t understand the difference between good teams and bad teaMs often comes down to an ability to make 3 or 4 tough first D
    owns a game.

35. Sekolah says:

“Does anyone have any information on Michael Robinson’s illness?”

Good question, Stevos. My only guess at this point is that it’s some sort of intestinal virus. I am no Dr. or some kind of Med. school grad, but that is about the only thing I can think of related to hitting you that hard to the point where you’re losing tons of weight. We know it’s not some form of MRSA, so I guess that bodes well.

And while you’re getting on your “I’m only interested in REAL football” pedestal, understand that I welcome and crave genuine Xs and Os conversations/”arguments”. (I’m not devaluing your opinion regarding Robinson. But I am saying that it is only an opinion. Please keep that in mind.)

37. Sekolah says:

I feel you, Duke. My stance on the issue is just to move along with this and see how things work out with Mike Robinson in a couple of weeks from now. No matter how much fretting or hand wringing we do over the issue there is nothing at all we can truly do about the matter.

Robinson has to be legitimately screwed up physically in some way. I’m still seeing people (not necessarily you) imply that somehow we’re being given a song and story about Mike Rob’s actual physical well-being. If that were the case, do you think Robinson would just quietly take that? F*** no, he wouldn’t. He’d have latched onto another team by now – probably a div. rival if he could. At the very least he’d have come out and publicly cried “Bullsh**!”

38. Autenpus says:

39. I too think Robinson is really sick. If he werent, he’d be proclaiming it from the rooftops, especially if it was only about money with our FO! If that were the case–Rob healthy and unwilling to take a paycut–he would probably already have lined up a team willing to pay him BEFORE refusing a paycut; yep, thats tampering, but it happens all the time. The agent would have done it without telling him if he had to.

So hopefully he gets better, this problem disappears, and Seattle resigns him and we win a SB with MROB lead blocking for SB MVP Lynch…

40. RDPoulsbo says:

I never got the argument that the illness was an excuse to smooth cutting Mike Rob. The league might not have fined the team for false injury reports during the preseason, but you better believe the NFLPA would have come after them for spreading rumors to make a player difficult to employ. Especially doing it to the team’s union rep.

The salary has to be the primary issue for releasing him though. It’s just plain hard to justify keeping him on for that amount of money when the demand for FBs around the league is as low as it’s ever been. If he’s becomes healthy, I don’t see why he and the team wouldn’t like to bring him back at a lower price. Remember that Leach was an integral part of Baltimore’s offense and was the AFC Probowler but they still cut him and waited a couple months and re-signed him at a much cheaper price.

41. MikeFromNewJersey says:

I also think Mike Rob will be back. He may have caught a bad case if the flu.About eight years ago i caught the flu in august and was sick for 6 weeks. I think I lost 30 pounds and basically couldnt do anything because i didnt have any energy.
    Im guessing he is going through something similar. I think he signs after 2 weeks.

42. Sounds like there’s only one person who is arguing that Mike Rob is overrated, and that seems to be based solely on a lack of offensive snaps. Bear in mind that Robinson was the ST Captain and was in on 70% of the ST snaps, third on the team behind Maragos and Farwell – neither of whom contributed significantly on defense. One cannot ignore the importance of special teams play; it can lose you games.

We could, of course, flip the logic on its head and argue that Breno is the most valuable player on the team because he took the most offensive snaps of any player last year, 99%!

43. Skavage says:

I didn’t read all the posts here about Mike Rob but having heard PC’s interview on ESPN 710 a couple things stood out for me.

One, apparently Mike Rob’s illness was (is?) a lot more serious than I had heard. Turns out he lost a considerable amount of weight and eh wouldn’t be available this week even if he was ok.

Two, this explains to me anyway) why he didn’t sign elsewhere this weekend. I think there is a fair chance we’ll see him back after week two. Likely will depend on his health and a reduced salary. Which leads me to believe we will see Spencer Ware cut with hopes of adding him to the PC.

44. wazzulander says:

I’m optimistic MikeRob will be brought back when his health improves, I think the kind of leadership he brings to the locker room as a veteran is a huge asset. But Yankster makes a valid point regarding his amount of playing time last year. I’m not sure how that qualifies as a “fantasy football” argument, given that I’ve never seen a league reward points for # of snaps.

Re: Harper – I agree with Tealskin – 31 other teams could have claimed him and decided he wasn’t worth a roster spot. I think the 49ers picking him up speaks more to their desperate need for receivers than it does about Harper.

45. “Doesn’t your head get tired of all the shaking and smiley faces? Mine sure does …”

Now that’s funny.

P.S. And if anyone thinks I’m a hypocrite due to using ;-) sometimes, I try to use it sparingly. I use it to try to make it clear when I’m being sarcastic, as sarcasm doesn’t always come across in print. I don’t need to be more misunderstood than I am.

46. I fully expect Mike Rob to be back later in the year when he has gained back the weight and is feeling well. They can sign him for less and will pay him less regardless as his contract will be prorated. Also, it makes it more likely that Ware or Coleman makes it through waivers.

47. raymaines says:

Two things:

tealskin: Harper made it all the way through waivers and was on Seattles practice squad. Meaning all 32 teams passed on him including Baltimore and San Francisco, and making me scratch my head thinking about SF’s lack of an overall plan.

I think we’re focusing on the wrong thing concerning MikeRob’s departure. I want a great running game and perfect pass protection for RW but really don’t care who’s doing the dirty work. I’m concerned the brain trust might have done the wrong thing cutting #26, but lets wait a week or two and see how this turns out.

48. MikeRob has done alotta stuff for SEA, lead blocker, pass-pro, rushing (goal-line), receiving, as well as lotsa special teams kickoff coverage and return blocking. Don’t remember MikeRob doing any returns for SEA like he did for SF(?), but his other STs play has been good. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RobiMi00.htm Kind of a Swiss army knife for SEA.

Lead Blocking: Claire Farnsworth wrote an interesting article about what MikeRob had to do to get to the point where he was a decent lead blocker back in May of ’12: http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Preparing-himself-for-even-more/3cd9beed-39c2-471d-accd-18534608ca7f One of MikeRob’s problems coming into SEA was he was light for a lead blocker, slightly less than SA (223 vs 225) and 2 inches taller (6-1 vs 5-11). SF’s ILB Patrick Willis is 245#, the same weight that Mack Strong played at. CHI’s MLB B.Urlacher was 258#, BAL’s mikes both weighed 245#. MikeRob had to spend lotsa time in the weight room to build up his mass to 240# to take on those guys. Maybe he couldn’t stay there if his head was bent over the toilet with this illness. MikeRob had ankle and wrist injuries, and an undisclosed illness keeping him outta practice from time to time during the ’12 season, but he played every game.

Posted a few threads back, a Field Gulls piece included a discussion about how MikeRob was used and why they might be interested in letting him go: http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2013/8/29/4666834/seahawks-tom-cable-pete-carroll-alex-gibbs-marshawn-lynch Add that PFF has ranked MikeRob high in overall performance, but low in lead blocking and pass-pro, about as good (for SF) as Leonard Weaver and Owen Schmitt were for SEA back in ’08 & ’09. In ’10, his first year at SEA, MikeRob ranked 4th in blocking among 74 FBs. In ’11, when he made the ProBowl, MikeRob’s blocking was ranked 61st of 68 FBs by PFF. Similar in ’12.

49. wabubba67 says:

Nobody asked, tiny bbs.

50. On Harper: 1 – it is quite possible that PC had thought about using him as a TE but wanted to train him on the PS instead of the active roster.

2 – if SF NEEDS to take a player off of our PS and put them on their ACTIVE roster – I am totally ok with that – I had hoped we could keep him but if he couldn’t sniff our roster but is active for them – so be it!! and please enough of the crap that 2 drops cost him a job!

51. Just in case anybody missed it, this is wabubba yet AGAIN attacking me unprovoked. He’s been doing it for a month straight while trying to pretend like he’s the mature and sane one. Pathetic and transparent. Sad for a 45-46 year old. Have another for me, wabubba. Prost.

52. “and please enough of the crap that 2 drops cost him a job!”

I’d agree with that, but I do think it played some role. How much we really won’t likely ever know. Anyways, he didn’t deserve to be any more than the 6th WR it seems. You could make the case that they should’ve kept him over Ware for a project. Ware isn’t likely to be active either. I’m okay with it personally.

53. SandpointHawk says:

Hey mate, we saw it, we are well aware of this situation at this point. It’s not much of an attack though, more of a smart ass aside that should be easy enough to ignore…

54. Sandpoint, point taken. I will just simply ignore it from now on. I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn’t the one carrying this on at at least. And really only for people here whose opinion I care about that might not have followed the nonsense, such as yourself. Thanks for the4 feedback.

55. *grammar check

56. HawkFromDay1 says:

Given the limited snaps Harper saw, I wonder if they were trying to hide him a little bit. Get him on the PS and don’t give teams enough tape on him to make a solid judgement.

Very bold move by the 49ers – but so was taking AJ Jenkins in the first round (snicker).

57. wabubba67 says:

Rice paper skin, tiny bbs?