RB Michael sits with back spasms; OL Carpenter out for at least two more weeks

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 11, 2013 at 1:28 pm with 20 Comments »
August 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Pete Carroll gave us a run down on injured players after practice this afternoon, as the Seahawks head into the second week of exhibition play, with Seattle hosting Denver on Saturday.

Carroll said offensive guard James Carpenter still is a couple weeks away from returning to the field from a foot injury he suffered last week.

“It’s improving regularly, and we know how the course of it is going to go,” Carroll said. “So we’ll get him back, it’s just going to take awhile.

“It’s unfortunate for him. It was so good to see him out here on a regular basis, just getting back into his football. So it’s frustrating for him.”

Running back Christine Michael is the other notable injury. Carroll said the rookie out of
Texas A&M suffered back spasms after running for 89 yards against San Diego last week, and watched from the sidelines today.

Of course, Michael had his injury concerns coming out of college. Michael suffered a broken leg and a torn ACL knee ligament in consecutives seasons that cut short playing time for the Aggies in 2010 and 2011.

“It might be a little bit before we get him back up,” Carroll said. “We’re working on him.”

While Michael was out, reserve running back Robert Turbin (foot) practiced for the first time during training camp today, and looked good working with the second unit during team drills.

“I’m excited that he’s back out there,” Carroll said. “And he looked really good today. Of course, he had fresh legs and all of that. It’s good to have him back out, really for him, too, because he’s been very frustrated.”

Carroll said that tight end Zach Miller (foot) and defensive end Cliff Avril (hamstring) continue to make progress on their perspective injuries, but are still a couple weeks away from playing.

“We’re going to continue to be conservative with it at this early time,” Carroll said about the two. “But those guys are getting back out. It might still be two weeks away before they do something, but I wouldn’t be surprised if by the end of this week they’re doing more and getting close to the practice field.”

However, Carroll said that defensive end Bruce Irvin (groin) is getting close to practicing today.

“He looked great running this morning,” Carroll said. “I watched him in his workout. He looks like he’s flying around. But we’re going to be conservative. We’re going to get after this day off that’s coming up on Tuesday, and see where we are there. He’s really fighting to get back out there. He looked good today, so he’s getting close.”

Defensive tackle Tony McDaniel, who was slated to compete for a starting job at defensive tackle, hasn’t practiced since Tuesday because of a groin injury.

“He’s not quite as far along as Bruce is,” Carroll said. “But again, these guys are all trying to get back on the practice field later this week.”

Carroll said that defensive tackle Jaye Howard banged his shoulder during the San Diego game. Howard did not practice today. After the game, Carroll had indicated that Howard twisted his knee.

Receiver Bryan Walters had been out an extended period of time with a hamstring injury, but is expected to practice again later this week.

Other players who did not practice today include CB Byron Maxwell (ankle), CB Ron Parker (hamstring), TE Darren Fells (hamstring), DE Ty Powell (thigh bruise), OL Mike Person (calf) and WR Perez Ashford (undisclosed).

Along with Miller, WR Percy Harvin (hip), CB Tharold Simon (foot), DE Chris Clemons (knee) and DL Greg Scruggs (knee) remain on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list. LB Korey Toomer (hip) still is on the non-football injury list.

Some tidbits

* Carroll had good things to say about the play of rookie offensive tackles Michael Bowie and Alvin Bailey.

“They did a really good job,” Carroll said. “I know Tom (offensive line coach Tom Cable) was really excited about the way they played. To get through that game with no sacks, and run the football well – and those guys played a lot of that game, three quarters of that game – it showed very well.

“They’ve done very well in practice. They’ve looked athletic, and they’ve been on the scheme pretty well. But I think they’ve made a little more progress than we might have thought, judging how excited Tom was about the way they played. It was a good start for those guys.”

* John Moffitt started at right guard today with the first unit. Carroll mentioned Moffitt as one of the guys who played well after the San Diego game.

* New addition WR Donavon Kemp had a nice catch on a post-corner route today. Kemp is wearing No. 87.

* The Seahawks ran a fake field goal to end practice, with holder Jon Ryan scampering around the right side for a big gain against the first-unit defense.

Great to hear good things about rookie offensive tackles Michael Bowie and Alvin Bailey.

2. I’ll bet Jon Ryan wants NOTHING to do with running another fake like that against the 1st unit D. Especially to the right. :)

Hopefully after working with Lynch’s back the past few seasons, Seattle’s staff will have insight on how best to treat Michael’s (and have the same success).

4. Is it just me, or is Carpenter starting to smell like a bust?

5. sluggo42 says:

I think carp will be fine, they are being uber careful with him.. I hope!

What’s up with good rb’s and back spazms?

Seems like we have an awful lot of injuries… Does every team have everyone nicked up?

6. bbnate420 says:

I’m not labeling him a bust until he misses significant time in the reg season or plays badly.

7. From the sound of things Bailey is already in. If Bowie shows strong I imagine that Person is a future cut.

Please Carp get healthy!

8. There seems to be a deeper meaning when Pete says about a player (and he says it about most), “It’s unfortunate for him” or “It’s frustrating for him.” To me it sounds like he’s saying, “We’re going to go forward with the best healthy players we have at every position, and we’re not going to waste any time feeling sorry for ourselves.” I like that attitude. I love Carp and want to see him out there, but we did okay without him last year. Next man up.

And I don’t think he’s a bust.

I’m hoping Carp becomes an’ “Okung”. That is, a talented played who struggled with injuries early and looked to Bea first round bust, but eventually became a reliable contributor. That’ s best case scenario. Right now however, the poor dude is made of glass.

10. raymaines says:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The Glass Is Half Full!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~ Seriously, The Glass Really Is Half Full ~~~~~~~

~~~~ Seriously, The Glass Really Is Half Full, OK! ~~~~

Everybody is going to be 100% for the Panthers and 49ers, right?

11. raymaines says:

I really do understand that’s it’s only week one of the pre-season and all of that, but I don’t want to hear about my potential starting left guard not playing AGAIN this week. A player has to actually play before he’s inducted into the HOF.

What a delicate balance; blowing out a knee in pre-season week three vs. being in shape for real season week #1 or 2.

I haven’t run the actual statistics, but it looks like there is about the same chance of major injury during practice as during a game.

If that’s true, and if coaches really have as much control over practices as I think they do, there should be a great opportunity for a forward thinking team to reduce injuries outside of live game situations. Fewer injuries generally equals more wins. More wins is a good thing. Go ‘Hawks.

12. We were just fine last year and Carp didn’t play – Carp has to EARN the starting job from McQuistan and he hasn’t done that yet.

I refuse to give Carp the “bust” label even if they cut him. He didn’t play his way out of a job – injuries kept it from him. Maybe an unfortunate or bad draft pick, but not a bust (IMO of course)

13. montanamike2 says:

I think we are playing it safe, we can’t afford any more pre season injuries. I think most everybody will be ready by seasons start. I’m so glad that Carp didn’t re-injure his knee.

14. montanamike2 says:

I bet Turbin has a big game now that he’s looking over his shoulder, with Michael out i bet he comes out like a man possessed.

Is Howard’s twisted knee a result of the cheap shot he got from a Chargers player?

The NFL needs to start coming down harder on players who injure others with cheap shots or illegal hits like Cole did to Okung.

A fifteen yard penalty and a small fine isn’t enough imo.

One idea could be for every day and/or game that an injured player misses due to a cheap shot the player that made the illegal hit has to forfeit their salary for the amount of time it takes for the injured player to return.
    With in reason of course.

16. RDPoulsbo says:

I have no patience with often injured players. The difference with Okung was his injuries came from things like cheap shots or idiots missing crack blocks and diving at his knees while engaged. Can’t fault him for that. Carp tore his ACL in a non-contact drill. That Perry much sums up the way he keeps ending up on the inactive list. I’m already calling him a bust even if he somehow stays healthy after this one. He’s been beaten out Breno, McQ, and Sweezy. Even Moffitt is irrigating him and he’s been a disappointment himself.

17. chrisj122 says:

Is it just me or did the helmets change?

They appear to have a matte/flat finish instead of a glossy shine.

18. bbnate420 says:

I love the revisionist history. Carp was never beaten out by Breno. He started at RT until he blew out his knee. They then made the decision that moving him to LG would be best for the team. That’s not being beaten out IMO. I don’t know how you are permanently labeled as injury-prone from one major injury. Many here didn’t expect him to contribute much in 2012 after the torn ACL, and rightly so. He was most likely brought back too quickly in 2012 and at least his play suffered from it. His knee likely suffered from it as well. This is the year to judge if he is injury-prone.

I agree that technically Carp was never beaten out by Breno, however you have to be able to play RT to begin with to even compete at all.

And obviously Carp could not play RT well before or after his injury.

Okung had injuries too at the beginning of his career so why didn’t they move him to guard? Because he can play LT well, and stay in shape.

20. bbnate420 says:

Georgia, I would disagree that it was obvious that Carp couldn’t play RT. He was improving by the week and playing pretty well when he got injured. Eric even wrote a thread about it in 2011.

We can all speculate on why he was moved to LG. I don’t think that PC and staff not believing he could play RT was a major factor. His versatility was talked about by Carroll and Cable right after they drafted him. He played LG his very first game since Gallery was hurt. I think they were impressed with how well Breno played, thought Carp could ultimately be more dominant at LG, and figured it would be easier in 2012 coming off of the ACL.

Okung is not comparing apples to apples. There is no real difference in value or pay between OGs and RTs. In fact, the top OGs are paid significantly more than the top RTs. Believe me, STTBM and I discussed this. A LT is significantly different. They are considered to be the most valuable o-lineman. Plus, Okung was picked 6th, not 25th. OGs are picked at 25 all the time. They are generally not picked at 6, though Cooper went 7th in 2013. You can certainly believe that Carp would’ve never been a good RT. I don’t think we saw enough of him to say that. I do think he has the ability to be a better OG than RT.