Morning links: Young Hawks get noticed

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 10, 2013 at 9:52 am with 43 Comments »
August 10, 2013 9:53 am
Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Stephen Williams and running back Spencer Ware celebrate after Ware's touchdown run against the San Diego Chargers in the third quarter of an NFL preseason football game Thursday, Aug. 8, 2013, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)
Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Stephen Williams and running back Spencer Ware celebrate after Ware’s touchdown run against the San Diego Chargers in the third quarter of an NFL preseason football game Thursday, Aug. 8, 2013, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

In my story today, we take a closer look at some of the young players Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll highlighted after his team’s 31-10 win over San Diego.

They include middle linebacker Allen Bradford, receiver Stephen Williams, defensive end Benson Mayowa and linebacker John Lotulelei.

Here’s what quarterback Russell Wilson had to say about Williams, who at 6-5 and 208 pounds gives Seattle a big, speedy vertical threat down the field.

“His size is great, but his speed is really something that kind of opens your eyes a little bit,” Wilson said. “He gets down the field so fast. That long touchdown he caught, the guy was probably 12 yards off, and he just caught up so quickly. And that’s a threat, because he’s great at stopping and starting, running comebacks and all of that. But also if you can run by a guy, too, that’s a huge threat for us.”

Doug Farrar of Sports Illustrated details the evolution of Bruce Irvin as a pass rusher with the Seahawks.

Danny O’Neil of 710 ESPN Seattle tells us what we learned from the Seahawks’ win over San Diego.

Bob Condotta of The Seattle Times offers five things the Seahawks learned from the first exhibition game.

Jason Jenks of The Seattle Times profiles Earl Thomas.

Aaron Wilson writing for the National Football Post reports that defensive lineman DeWayne Cherrington visited Arizona and Seattle this week. I believe the Seahawks still have an extra roster spot after releasing Early Doucet. Cherrington, out of Mississippi State, is 6-3 and 335 pounds, and bench pressed 225 pounds 36 times.

Taylor Jones of Fox Sports previews the Seahawks.

Eastern Washington University receiver Brandon Kaufman is getting noticed in Bills camp.

Writing for Sports Illustrated, Oakland punter Chris Kluwe talks about battling for the punting job as an undrafted rookie free agent for the Seahawks in 2005.

Check out Percy Harvin highlights from high school in the video below.

Morning links
  1. piperfeltcher says:

How is everyone been a while since I posted on here. Have a question I am hoping someone can answer for me. Under the old CBA if a player was on the PUP his salary did not count against the cap and I was wondering if this is still the case?

The way Williams and Kearse are playing it looks like Bates may be headed to the practice squad.

I don’t think the FO will take the chance on losing Harper this year unless he totally flops the rest of pre season.

3. SandpointHawk says:

Who is included in a team’s Salary Cap?

Team salary includes the amount a team pays its current or former players under their player contracts. The Salary Cap does NOT include pay to coaches, assistants, trainers, or other team employees. Only the highest 51 player salaries for a team count against the Salary Cap in the offseason while ALL player salaries of a team count in calculating the team total Salary Cap during the season.

This includes a player that is on Injured Reserve (IR), Physically Unable to Perform (PUP), and the Practice Squad (PS). Practice Squad contracts are included in a team’s Salary Cap during the season except in certain situations where a practice squad player is signed to another team’s 53-man roster.

4. chuck_easton says:

PUP players, IR’d players and PRactice Squad player’s salary are all included in a team’s total salary cap.

The three designations just aren’t counted in the final 53 man limit.

So Harvin’s big payday counts against the cap.

5. nmseafan says:

I rewatched the game this morning and noticed that Jaye Howard played pretty well and on the O-line Michael Bowie teamed up with Rishaw Johnson looked pretty good. Also Derrick Coleman looked good.

6. Williams was certainly impressive…size and speed. If he can keep it up against the first unit defenses in a real-game situation, then they may have found that big target that they’ve been looking for.

7. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

i think in the end there will be huge shocks on who doesn’t make the team. after watching for 3 years i am always surprised at 2-3 players that makes the roster. unlike the 9ers seahawk draft pick have a chance to make the team to really compete. it amazes me the talent this team seams to find in cast offs and late round or undrafted players, funny reminds me of the patriots 10 years ago. this team has the potential to be great now it’s time for them to make it happen.

8. jawpeace says:

The pic of wide receiver Stephen Williams and running back Spencer Ware jumping is cool. And WOW Williams can really go vertical, if you only look at the feet they look pretty close but Ware’s legs are bent while Williams are pretty straight. Where their bottoms are really shows the difference. IF Williams 6 5′ develops timing on jump balls he could be very hard to stop.

9. Johnson had way too many penalties! And played below average IMO until the 3rd wave of SD defenders rotated in

Does anyone think there is a good chance we keep just three safety’s this season?

11. This roster is stacked beyond anything we have seen in Hawkville. If we could melt several guys down to form 2 complete guards & a badass 3 tech that would help clear up some roster space.

12. nmseafan says:

Another player that looked like he can get some penetration up the middle is Michael Brooks.

13. montanamike2 says:

Killer video.

This made my day reading the top comment by a Packer fan. Seahawks fans have never been fair weather fans like the 49er fans.

15. Southendzone says:

After seeing Stephen Williams game 1 performance, Sidney Rice immediately began scouring the globe for other things he could potentially have injected into his knee.

16. tchristensen says:
  17. So with Michael looking good out there at RB, I get a sense that people are down on Turbin now. Would seem a bit premature to give up on him after one season. What can he do and what does he have to show to stand out from Michael, Ware and Coleman?

I used to be a critic of the real rob report but not anymore. This is not like hard knocks.

And btw- Moffitt is growing on me day by day. Duke is right, Moffitt is a fan favorite for sure.

If you put Burt Reynolds and Dom DeLuise in bowl and mixed it up you would have Moffitt.

I would not be surprised to see Moffitt in the movies down the road.

19. bbnate420 says:

Georgia, No. I think they keep 4. Excellent links. The BB one is awesome. Thanks.

I don’t know that people are down on Turbo, but out of sight, out of mind. Michael has attributes that neither Turb or Beast has. I think he’s clearly the more talented runner than Turb. The question is whether or not he can capitalize on his talent. I’m glad he’s around if Beast gets hurt. I like Turb a lot though and think he is clearly the 3rd down back if healthy. He catches the ball well and is much better in pass protection than Michael at this point. Though it was nice to see Michael do a good job of picking up a blitz versus SD.

20. bbnate420 says:

I think Harper makes it if they decide to keep 6 WRs but will be out if they only keep 5. Hopefully he would make it to the PS if that is the case, though I think some team like the Jets may pick him up. Williams is very talented, is still only 27, and gives them a big receiver if Rice misses time. I think Kearse is the 4th at this point.

21. I wasn’t “impressed ” with ware or Coleman – they played fine late in the game, but they will have to do more than that to unseat Turbin.

Harper did nothing in this game to show that he is anything other than a PS player. That may change over the next few weeks. But right now not so much.

I agree with Nate, I don’t see anyway they keep less than 4 safeties. Especially when I consider the dime and bandit packages Carroll likes so much. Guy and Maragos I imagine are the likely choices to stick behind Kam and Thomas, respectively.

23. raymaines says:

I think some of us are forgetting the purpose of the pre-season games is to evaluate players. Really nothing more than that.

I don’t know what a WR or RB is supposed to do on any given play, especially away from the ball. The coaches will go over the game tape and let us all know later in the week who was impressive and who wasn’t.

24. sluggo42 says:

Moff and the sweez will both be warming the bench as baily will take the right tackle, carp left guard and gioc right guard., and that will be our final line that’s awesome…

Duke- If we do only keep 3 safety’s who do you think (from our CBs) would most likely fill in at safety if need be?

26. Might happen but Cable has shown no desire to move Breno out of his spot. I think it is pretty clear that he values him differently than most of us on here

27. montanamike2 says:

I think they like Brenos intimidation factor but he does seem to be toning things down a bit to cut down the penalties, he must have had a mean step dad who beat him or something, I’m still giddy about that hit Kam put on that little WR.

Galena- have you ever run into any of these fish in Alaska?

Go Hawks!!!

29. bbnate420 says:

I agree that Cable seems to value Breno more than many here. I wouldn’t expect Bailey to unseat him, in 2013 anyhow.

I’ve been hoping for Guy to take that backup SS spot from Johnson. I just think he has more talent and can intimidate people like Bam Bam. Not as well, but along the same lines. Wasn’t impressed with what I saw from him against SD. Still a lot of camp left though, and we don’t really know what they’ve seen from him in camp. He has reportedly been laying the wood. I know Georgia appreciates that. ;-)

30. bbnate420 says:

I’ve heard of Pacu before. And you thought that Leroy Hill’s girlfriend was a ball buster.

31. Nate – I have similar thoughts on Guy – but he has got to know when to lay the wood and when to not! i.e. our guys or penalties – it comes across to me as either, he isn’t that smart or he losses his temper

32. bbnate420 says:

You’re right there, xcman. Hopefully he just got overexcited in trying to make the team and learned from it. Anyways, I trust PC and staff much more than myself to pick the best DBs.

33. Thanks for posting highlight of Brandon Browner, Georgia. He’s a clutch player. He single-handedly turned around two games I can remember. One two years ago vs. Giants (interception run back for TD) and last year vs. Panthers when he just ripped the ball out of the running backs hands and ran it in for TD.

34. sluggo42 says:

It’s not to unseat Giacometti with Baily, but to rather just move him over one slot, and erase the weak link that the moffit/sweeze is.

35. What did people think of Jesse Williams play? I thought he held his own – not flashy but he often took on double teams and still got a push into the back field.

It will be interesting to see how this DL shapes up.

Red, Mebane, Clemons are all safe – but after that I think it is just wide open for pecking order.

36. Georgia we have the toothless version of the Pacu up here. It’s known as the Gum-you. Granted it’s a little creepy at first, but after you get used to it, not half bad. That’s according to what a friend told me anyway.

37. I really hope that our O-line fortifies in pass pro this year. Sure would like to see Russell with plenty of time in the pocket.

SOOOO TRUE -

It seems like for the last 4 years they (the OL) starts really slow – at the end of the season they are playing well giving us all hope and then at the beginning of the next season – it’s like they didn’t learn anything from the last season.

I am hoping that starting game one they actually show well and not just potential.

38. bbnate420 says:

Who’s this Harvin you speak of, Chuck? Never heard of him. ;-)

39. SandpointHawk says:

Thanks mocarob, I like reviewing it this way better than on the DVR. (Might be superior mouse skills…)

40. mocarob–You sir, are the shiznit! Thanks for the link!