Deon Grant announces his retirement

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:59 am with 25 Comments »
August 7, 2013 9:01 am
Seattle Seahawks strong safety Deon Grant, left, celebrates the Seahawks' 24-21 win over the Cincinnati Bengals with fans at Qwest Field in Seattle Sunday, Sept. 23, 2007, in an NLF football game. Grant recovered a fumble by Bengals' Glenn Holt with 54 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter to seal the win for Seattle. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)
Seattle Seahawks strong safety Deon Grant, left, celebrates the Seahawks’ 24-21 win over the Cincinnati Bengals with fans at Qwest Field in Seattle Sunday, Sept. 23, 2007, in an NLF football game. Grant recovered a fumble by Bengals’ Glenn Holt with 54 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter to seal the win for Seattle. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Former Seattle Seahawks safety Deon Grant announced his retirement today, according to Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News.

Grant, 34, played 11 seasons in the NFL with the Panthers, Jaguars, Seahawks and Giants.

After his three seasons in Seattle, Grant was released by the Seahawks when Pete Carroll took over 2010, and signed with the Giants as a free agent, winning a Super Bowl with the team in 2011.

Grant was one of the team leaders for the Seahawks during his tenure in Seattle, starting 48 games from 2007 to 2009, and totaling eight interceptions. One of Grant’s strengths was his durability. He played in 176 straight games.

Grant said he wants to stay involved in football, perhaps as a coach.

“I still study the game a lot,” Grant said, via The Daily News. “I study the game because I think that’s going to be a place where I land on my feet as far as coaching. I do a lot of charity work, I have other businesses running for me, but my main thing right now is getting back into that whole football swing of things.”

Former Players
  1. jawpeace says:

Well Gtant had a good career and getting a ring before he left the game is a super caper. Best of luck to life after football.(Though it looks like football will still be in it.)

2. Anyone remember when Grant was lost for the year as a Rookie in 2000, the Panthers signed Eugene Robinson to start in his place?

3. chuck_easton says:

Three more players lost for the season due to injury on other teams

Bears CB Hayden with a torn hamstring
    Saints DL with a torn pectoral
    Saints WR with the dreaded ACL

I’m beginning to think this new lighter workl

4. chuck_easton says:

To finish this new lighter workload the players got in the new CBA is causing more injuries than it is preventing.

They just aren’t football ready like they used to be.

Big difference in being in gym shape and football shape.

5. doubledink says:

Chuck,
    It’s like they have too much weight training vs contact training.Is it possible to build the body up beyond its ability to bear the additional impacts it creates? Makes me wonder.

Good luck to Grant, but I don’t miss the days of the Deon Trifecta.

Grant played capably here, no question. But he will be forever and unfortunately linked in my mind to both Tim Ruskell and Brian Russell: two of the more inept members of Seahawks history. And thankfully each are long history.

I disagree with that, Chuck. Or at least there is little if any evidence to support that at this point, especially if we’re talking about ligament injuries. And while I do agree there is a significant difference between gym shape and playing shape, many or most of these injuries seem to be coming in non-contact situations.

8. chuck_easton says:

I coach bantam football 13-14 year olds. As much as we try to protect the players it comes down to they have to know how to hit and be hit.

I was watching training camp daily and they were marvelling at the browns doing Oklahoma drills.

That is a staple of most peewee and high school practices.

It gets the kids used to tackling in a controlled smaller environment.

You can’t have these NFL players running around like they are track stars all week and then have them put on the pads and hit every fourth or fifth day.

First thing our kids learn is controlled aggression. You don’t run full speed into a brick wall. Players have forgotten how to cushion the blow, angle their body away from the impact and all that.

All they know now is running around Mach 5 and then suddenly one day out of seven some guy just as big strong and fast is running right at them Mach 5

9. I bet Deon Grant will make a fine DBs coach if he chooses that road in retirement from playing.

That’s my point, Chuck. It doesn’t appear the primary cause is contact, at least from what I see.

11. And to Duke’s point, I think these injuries started early in camp, before the pad and before the hitting. What’s going to happen once the preseason games start? As the Seahawks are probably one of the most talented teams in the NFL, they have a lot to lose with injuries so I am worried a bit here.

12. Carp has foot strain – not serious!
    Irvin out tomorrow
    Michael will play tomorrow

13. montanamike2 says:
  14. bbnate420 says:

I gotta side with Duke here, at least so far. We really don’t know yet if there’s going to be more injuries this TC/preseason than the average or if it’s just perception at this point. Someone would need to take a look at the overall numbers once this TC/preseason is over. Also, even if there are more injuries this year, it’s not proof of a trend yet. It could simply be a statistical outlier. You really need many years of data to reliably conclude whether or not the new contact rules are making a difference in injuries. This is really only the second year with them. I wouldn’t count 2011 as there was no off-season program due to the lockout.

And many of these seem to be happening in non-contact drills. I believe Anthony McCoy’s did. Maclin tore his ACL cutting. That said, I believe that less hitting could potentially lead to more musculoskeletal injuries if tackling technique is breaking down. I just don’t think we have enough information yet. And it seems clear that less hitting is certainly better for players’ brains, though the research in this area is rather infantile at this point. There are studies being done at universities right now that link the number of impacts to the head during the season with increased cognitive impairment. More and more will be learned about this in the coming years. I would imagine that the majority of players would trade an increased risk of musculoskeletal injury for a decreased risk of brain damage. I would anyways.

15. chuck_easton says:

Duke and bbnate,

You both make excellent points. It just seems like there has been a greater number of season ending injuries this year. All this when it was stated that the new ‘touch football’ training camps and practices were supposed to significantly reduce injuries.

There is a lot going on that needs to be studied.

I also think doubledink makes a good observation. Is it possible that the players have pushed their muscle development to the breaking point? I know we used to talk about a person being so ‘muscle bound’ that they would lose all flexibility.

Is this a scenario where we are seeing players have simply reached the point that the body is snapping under the intense stress? Bbnate what is your opinion on that posibility?

16. all the tendon issues and muscle issue are squarely on the coaching staff – They worry about being strong but they dont worry about being ready to handle that weight/strength. They is CLEARLY not enough focus on flexibility and the ligaments are ready to handle the stress.

How many track sprinters % wise pull hammys compared to how many NFL WR’s (and others) struggle with Hammys – the track people have it WAY better than the NFL because they specifically take care of that part of the training.

is it going to happen – yes but not as much.

In Womens NCAA div 1 BBall they were having ACL tears at about a 70% rate for scholarship athletes over the 4 years they played – they did a major study in Chicago about it came up with a strengthening/dynamic stretching routine and the schools who adopted it say a 35% decrease in the amount of ACL tears over a 4 year span. Yes they are different but if the NFL teams spent as much time worrying about functional strength and how the body with adapt to it it would lower the amount this would happen. They can bulk up faster than the tendons/ligaments can adapt to that weight strenth

just my 2 cents

17. bbnate420 says:

Chuck, I’m not absolutely sure. I’m not necessarily an expert on how these types of injuries occur even though I do have a medical background. I believe that stretching and warming up are 2 of the most important factors in reducing musculoskeletal injuries. I would assume that neither of these things are less stressed or focused on under the new CBA. I would imagine that it is a combination of things.

I would think that less actual tackling leads to a decrease in the muscle memory associated with tackling. This would lead to a decrease in tackling fundamentals/technique IMO. Especially at the beginning of TC when the players haven’t been really hitting anyone for months. This could potentially lead to more injuries. I’m not sure this would give an increased risk of injury in non-contact drills though.

It could be that certain amount of hitting readies and protects your body against more hitting to a certain degree. I used to do martial arts as a kid. When you first start sparring and kick another persons’ shin with your own shin it hurts like a m effer. Your shin then becomes bruised up. But once those bruises heal, you can then kick shins with someone without feeling anywhere near the same amount of pain or bruising. It’s like the scene from Kickboxer where JCVD trains by kicking trees.

I would think it would have diminishing returns at some point though. Maybe they need to find some type of medium? Maybe they really need to devote more time to tackling technique and fundamentals without going full speed or close to now that they hit much less?

I do believe that additional weight training could be leading to increased musculoskeletal injuries. I’m not sure that the additional muscle is the problem per se. The problem can be that muscles grow/repair much faster than ligaments and tendons do. Tendons and ligaments do not have nearly the amount of blood supply that muscles do. Blood flow brings in reparative agents and carried away debris. This is why it is believed that anabolic steroids can lead to tendon and ligament problems. They just can’t keep up with the muscles, especially when taking steroids. Your ligaments and tendons are likely more vulnerable until they can catch up with your increased muscle mass. Perhaps players are lifting more now that they have less time on the field and their bodies probably feel better due to less hitting? I doubt a lot of guys felt like lifting after a two-a-day of padded practice.

18. bbnate420 says:

*carries

19. Nate – i totally agree with your last paragraph!!

20. bbnate420 says:

xcman makes some very good points. I would think that those in the NFL stretch a lot, but they probably over-lift as well.

Women athletes are more likely to tear ACLs than men are. This has to do with their wider hips to allow for childbirth. It places more pressure on the knees. The point about strengthening and stretching should apply to men as well though.

21. SandpointHawk says:

Thanks all for the civil discussion. Took me back to the good old days…2011 or so…

22. Deon was a good, if unspectacular, player for us. I wish him well, and I was glad to see him win a super bowl.

Dukeshire–I have to agree, he is inextricably linked to Timmay! and Russel, and all the rest of the ugliness caused by Numbskull’s massive ego. Im glad we’re well past those days…

Not a Ruskell fan however it’s funny to me how he gets most of the hate around here while the big show gets little for being a crappy GM.

Remember if Holmgren did his job well at GM there would be no Ruskell.

At least Ruskell left us with Unger, Big Red and the opportunity to get Thomas.

24. bbnate420 says:

This blog is actually pretty civil most of the time. Just check out the comments section on an ESPN article or a YouTube video. We’re a group of Emily Posts compared to that.