First day of pads popping: Hawks claim LB Schofield

Post by Eric Williams on July 27, 2013 at 3:18 pm with 43 Comments »
July 27, 2013 3:18 pm
Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch, right, carries the ball as Bruce Irvin (51) and Bobby Wagner (54) close in during NFL football training camp, Saturday, July 27, 2013, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

With the Seattle Seahawks putting on shoulder pads for the first time during training camp for Saturday morning’s practice, defensive coordinator Dan Quinn summed it up succinctly.

“For us, it was good to get back to some real football – for the guys that are down there in the trenches,” Quinn said. “So it was an important day, another day of install for us, so I was thrilled to get back. And you could feel the energy the guys brought onto the field.”

Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said that despite the team heading into the second season of Russell Wilson and the addition of Percy Harvin, expect to see a lot of Marshawn Lynch and other runners getting the ball in the run game.

“We’re a run football team,” Bevell said. “I mean that sets up everything that we want to do offensively. It’s our philosophy. It’s our toughness – all the things that we preach here. So whether Marshawn gets 315 carries or not, we’re going to be running the football.”

Bevell also talked about the depth at running back, with second-year pro Robert Turbin starting training camp on the PUP list with a foot issue.

“It’s still early,” Bevell said. “We’re still letting it all play out right now. But we really do like our depth. When you have Turbo (Turbin) sitting on the bench right now, and these two young guys (Christine Michael and Spencer Ware), it’s great for them to get all the reps. We’re looking at them and what they can do. And it’s a really strong backfield.

Derrick Coleman is back there, and he kind of gets left out because of the draft picks that we’ve had, but he’s really done a nice job as well.”

DL Howard steps up

One of the players who really stood out today was second-year pro Jaye Howard. Pete Carroll said the University of Florida product was active for just two games his rookie season. But he put on 15 pounds of good weight during the offseason, and is now playing at 6-3 and 301 pounds.

Along with playing 3-tech, Howard also worked with the second unit at 5-tech, and practically lived in the backfield during 9-on-7 and team drills.

Quinn said the advantage Howard has is that he’s still quick off the ball at 300 pounds. Quinn also said that Howard played some defensive end in a 3-4 system the year prior to his arrival at Florida, and Quinn also ran some 3-4 while serving as the defensive coordinator for the Gators, with Howard playing some defensive end and some defensive tackle.

“When we gathered, we thought, ‘That guy’s (Howard) got real strong hands,'” Quinn said. “And that’s one of the things we look for at that position for a guy who can take on a tackle, and hold it at the end of the line. So that’s why we’re going to take a look at it at this camp.”

Hawks claim Schofield

According to his agent, the Seahawks claimed outside linebacker O’Brien Schofield off waivers after his release from Arizona.

A fourth-round pick out of Wisconsin in the 2010 draft by the Cardinals, Schofield had trouble staying healthy at Arizona, playing in just 35 of a possible 48 games in three seasons.

At 6-foot-3 and 242 pounds, the 26-year-old projects as a Leo defensive end or SAM linebacker for the Seahawks.

Seattle has yet to make a roster move to make room for Schofield. In nine starts, Schofield finished with 34 tackles and four sacks last season.

Injury update
Carroll said that tight end Zach Miller is close to returning from a foot issue that has him on the PUP list to begin camp. However, with Miller out, players like Sean McGrath, Luke Willson and Cooper Helfet are taking advantage of the extra reps.

Carroll said at this point Miller returning for the regular season opener is not a concern right now.

Michael Robinson has not practiced for the last two days because of ankle soreness.

Coleman and Ware are playing full back with Robinson out.

And linebacker Heath Farwell has not practiced the past two days because of back spasms. Sidney Rice has been sitting out of team drills as more of a maintenance issue.

Second year linebacker Korey Hoomer jammed his hip working out on his own, which is the reason he’s on the non-football injury list.

Carroll also talked about rookie fifth-round pick Tharold Simon, who’s on the PUP list with a foot issue that carried over from his time in college at LSU.

“It’s one where he’s played with it before, and we’re just trying to get him past the point where it will reoccur,” Carroll said. “So we’re being very careful, and he’s working out hard. He’s not on the ground running yet. We’re doing all of the equipment upstairs to keep him non-weight bearing. But we just have to be patient with it.”

Some tidbits

* Carroll pointed to J.R. Sweezy as one of the most obvious players on offense who has made a significant jump from 2012 to this season. He also said James Carpenter has had three really good days to open training camp. He also pointed to Mike Person, Michael Bowie and Alvin Bailey as young offensive lineman who have stood out.

* Carroll said the kick return job behind Harvin is wide open. Golden Tate, Will Blackman, Jeremy Lane, Bryan Walters, Justin Veltung and Arceto Clark all took reps as the kick returner today.

“We know that Golden can get the job done,” Carroll said. “But there’s some guys there that we’re interested to see. Bryan Walters has some really good background, and he was a very effective player back there. Jeremy’s really fast, and we like him back there. Will Blackman is back there, too. And he has some experience. So it will be exciting in preseason to see all of those guys.”

* Steven Hauschka drilled a 58-yard field goal during special teams period. Carson Wiggs missed from 53 yards, but also made his 58-yard attempt.

* Bruce Irvin continues to look good making the transition from defensive end to SAM linebacker. I was particularly impressed with his decision-making on run fits in 9-on-7 today.

* Alan Bradford is physical and brings the wood playing middle linebacker. He’s fun to watch.

1. MoSeahawk12 says:

I think Wagner’s in trouble there. Beast!!

Nice report, E. Thats good news about Howard. It has always been my hope that Quinn would be good for Howard due to their ties.

3. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

real nice to have a QB and most starters settled going into camp.

nice to see a dogfight for quality backups

4. bbnate420 says:

Thanks for the info on Toomer, Eric. Nice report.

Really good to hear about Howard. You can never have enough good D-lineman. Especially in the NFL of today. Also good to hear that Irvin is picking up the Sam.

This Schofield guy could actually potentially provide solid depth for the pass rush. Had 4 sacks in 9 games in 2012 and 4.5 sacks without a start in 2011. Seems light to rush from Leo unless it’s an almost surefire passing situation.

5. bbnate420 says:

Also really good to hear about Sweezy. I like Moffitt, but Sweezy has the athleticism to be a pro bowl OG IMO.

6. montanamike2 says:

Jaye Howard sounds like he’s coming around. Good to hear about Irvin making the transition.

Sweezy is not cheesy, others won’t find it easy to take over Sweezy.

8. ruminator1 says:

Just read a short speculation that Winfield might not make this team. Anyone know anything about this?

9. Eric,

Please keep us up on Irvin’s transition. I’d love to see some in depth analysis as camp moves forward. From day 1 last year I kept thinking he looked like an OLB in a 3-4 so I’m very interested to see how well the change is going. I’m really hoping he continues to work hard during the first 4 weeks before he gets on the field. LB and TE are the two spots worrying me the most. And they’re both critical to our success. Thanks!

ruminator- Where did you read that? Seems a bit early in camp for something like that to actually have legs.

11. Sarcasticus says:

“Defensive end Jesse Williams tweaked his knee on Friday and did not practice today, according to Carroll, but its nothing serious.”

Is Williams primarily playing DE? He did in T-Town for one year, but played NT last year. Do you think he will primarily back up Bryant or move inside?

12. bbnate420 says:

Per klm, Tate lined up in the slot 13.8 % of the time in 2012. Caught 7 of 11 targets for 1 TD.

13. bbnate420 says:

Winfield not making the team is EXTREMELY premature. Thurmond looked good in the very limited time he played slot in 2012, but he has an injury history obviously. He seems like someone you’d want around.

14. bbnate420 says:

BobbyK, come back. It’s football season. It’s kind of funny how a number of people complained about having real football news and now there are less posts than during the off-season.

15. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

ya nate almost too quiet

“Baby come back”

Hall & Oates

“Spending all our time, all our thoughts, posting on this blog” “anything just to get this blog a rolling” “But when the morning comes, We’re right back where we started again, And tryin’ to forget this is just a waste of time.”
    “BobbyK come back, any kind of fool could see There was something in everything about you.”BobbyK come back, you can blame it all on Nate we are wrong and we just can’t live without you”
    “All day long, wearing a mask of false bravado” Tryin’ to keep up a smile that hides the tears “But as the sun goes down, We get that empty feeling again “How I wish to God that you were here”
    “BobbyK come back, any kind of fool could see There was something in everything about you “BobbyK come back, you can blame it all on me I was wrong and this blog can’t live without you.

17. I’m better off on the sidelines.

18. Ah come on BK, pleeeeaaaase!

19. Heck I’ll even say please with TJ on top if it helps!?

The irony of a song parody enticing Bobby to begin posting more is rich. And before anyone freaks out, that’s not something that brings him in.

21. bbnate420 says:

If refraining from commenting is really good for YOU, then I get it and respect that BobbyK. But you shouldn’t stay away just because of some disagreement or enmity. I respect your contributions and opinions even if I challenge your opinions when I disagree.

22. bbnate420 says:

Maybe we need to drop some bunker-busters on Minnesota to get him out of his hole?

23. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

oh come on bobby it just is not the same without you.

24. The whole *rumor* on Winfield perhaps being made expendable is some serious high speculation on the part of some sports writer who’s name I have only just recently come to know… and then forget. The guy is obviously someone who didn’t know how talented this Seahawks roster is, and how deep they are at CB.

I kind of see what he’s trying to say, but it still seems like a bit of a reach. The only way I can see that happening is if Winfield’s body simply can’t survive TC. He’s a tough, rugged dude though, so we’ll see how much he truly has left. I expect Thurmond and the others will push hard for his spot though; it could be real close by the time preseason comes to an end.

The Schofield cut by Arizona is a real puzzler to me. He seems to me like a player they may have pulled the plug a tad too soon on. I am a little surprised that he cleared waivers far enough for us to take a flyer. I guess he’s been labeled *injury-prone* or something? Whatever the case, he just might find a home here if he can find his fit somewhere (LEO or SLB, I would think). Now they just need to figure out a jersey number for him. The 50’s and 90’s are all taken. Even the 40’s are all eaten up. lol.

25. I thought Howard looked a lot bigger than last year. I didn’t have a lot of memories of him from last year but when I saw him practicing I didn’t recognize him. Good to hear he’s 300 lbs. He’ll need to be strong to compete with Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams.

And I really hope Jesse Williams tweaking his knee is not a return to his knee troubles of last year?

sekolah- Can you reference either the writer or the article?

This is the second time it’s been referenced without specifics.

27. jawpeace says:

Less posting because there is sooo much to read! Not that anyone missed me. Maybe I should get annoying and piss and moan in stupid rants attacking other posters like idiotic 49er fans…..

28. When the Seahawks drafted Jaye Howard, he was listed as being 301 lbs., so shouldn’t he actually be 316 lbs. right now if he’s recently added 15 lbs. to his frame?

Duke: http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2013/07/27/saturday-links-will-winfield-struggle-to-make-the-team/

29. Eric, would love to know more about the situation at mike LB. Isn’t that where they’re also working Loutuleilei?

How’s Shead looking at safety? I saw some footage of him running with either the 2nd or 3rd team (I think), and he was playing the FS spot. Interesting.

30. The reporting of Winfield not making the team is a perfect example of shock reporting. Pellisero writes for a national publication where shock value unfortunately takes precedence. If I’m not mistaken he’s also a beat writer for Minnesota.

Any lay person that has never set foot on our practice fields would be beside themselves if they saw the talent that we had at corner… It is INSANE. That being said a lot of talent we have lays on the outside. Carroll is still trying to figure out what works in the slot. The only corner we have with slot experience is WT3. Other than that Jeremy Lane sliding in for a play here and there. Like I said Carroll is still trying to figure out his base nickel package. Enter Winfield who is essentially a specialist in this regard.

Pellisero is blowing smoke

31. I agree KD, we got Winfield for a specific purpose, and I would be shocked if he did not make the team. Even if Thurmond beats Winfield out for the slot, they would still need insurance due to his injury history. It would be smart to keep Winfield around just in case. Lane is long, lean and did well on the outside last year replacing Browner for a few games, but no significant game experience in the middle.

Would WT3 or Lane even be an upgrade over Trufant in the slot? No one knows the answer to that. Lane and Thurmond have not played enough inside to know the nuances you need to learn in stopping guys like Welker, or even just slowing him down. They would make me nervous if they started there, because they don’t provide a reliable proven history at that position. Unlike Winfield, who like KD said is an expert nickel back, almost like a closer in baseball because he comes in at the crucial time to shut it down between the numbers.

32. seatowntp says:

Is it just selective reporting or are there fewer physical altercations at Seahawks training camp? It sounds like a significant brawl at the Titans camp.

33. montanamike2 says:

I agree CCVI, we replaced Tru for a reason and WT3 is going to be good but he is injury prone so we need insurance in the nickle, besides experience. I thought maybe Winfield was brought in to mentor the kids like Milloy did, without him there’d be no legion of boom.

34. Southendzone says:

With what’s going on this year and how the Hawks seem to be going as hard as possible to make it to the Superbowl, I would be really shocked if Winfield doesn’t make the team.

He brings too much experience & proven track record of excellence as a slot defender for them to go with more of an unknown at that position.

If the Hawks were still acting like they are in rebuild mode, sure it makes sense but not this year.

Alan Bradford is a very interesting story to me. Imagine if he can make the transition from RB to LB like Sweezy has from D-line to G.

36. seatowntp – that’s a good point I think. Everyone at the VMAC seems perhaps a little too happy these days. Everyone’s spirits are up, and they get to practice next to a lake with rock and roll music blasting and nice easy 70s weather. But its still early.

Football camps need some fights and some anger in the mix. A few extra degrees of temperature, some aggressive rookies knocking some veterans on their butts, a little too much sweat and heat… those things will all be good for these guys and I would bet those things will all start happening at the VMAC.

37. princeaden says:

Kam just became my favorite Seahawk. That must’ve been awesome.

38. I thought another band sings ‘Baby Come Back’ not H2O…

39. Just read about Dennis Pitta dislocating his hip, out for the year. Also Maclin tears his ACL, again, gone for the year. It makes me a little nervous knowing how full throttle our practices are. I’ll keep my fingers crossed hoping that there are no more significant injuries in camp.

40. i’m exciting about the Schofield pickup, though. He always struck me as a try-hard, effort guy, but a pretty decent player nonetheless. I hope he gets a shot to really rush the passer, maybe in the Irvin role as 3rd down specialist.

41. rramstad says: