Browner pleased with pay bump, wants to stay in Seattle

Post by Eric Williams on July 26, 2013 at 3:19 pm with 47 Comments »
July 26, 2013 4:58 pm

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Brandon Browner confirmed he had received a pay increase from the organization on the final year of his three-year deal with the team.

“It’s a good gesture,” Browner said. “I’m a team guy. Mostly for me it’s about playing football. That’s what I want to do here, help this team be successful.”

Browner was due to make $550,000 in base salary for the 2013 season, and received a $250,000 raise for the upcoming year.

The bump in pay should help offset the $109,411 in salary he lost after being suspended the final four games of 2012 for violating the league’s policy on performance enhancing drugs.

Browner also was fined $7,815 for a pile-driving receiver Greg Jennings to the turf against Green Bay – a play for which he received a personal foul.

According to salary cap specialist Brian McIntyre of Yahoo Sports, Browner also received $215,201 in performance pay in 2012.

Browner, who turns 29 next Friday, also received assurances the Seahawks would talk about an extension at the end of the season, and ultimately would like to remain in Seattle, where Pete Carroll has developed one of the best defensive backfields in the NFL.

“I want the Legion of Boom to really mean something when it’s all said and done with,” Browner said. “Not something that we just made up last year. I want that to hold weight for years to come.”

Report: Harvin scheduled for second opinion

Receiver Percy Harvin was at practice watching from the sidelines this morning. According to a report by ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Harvin will meet with Dr. Bryan Kelly in New York City on Tuesday to get a second opinion on his injured hip.

Doug Baldwin continued to work with the first unit at slot receiver with Harvin out. But the receiver group supported Harvin’s decision to get the issue resolved.

“I’m happy that he’s on our team,” receiver Golden Tate said. “Hopefully he gets healthy soon, so he can help us.”

ESPN’s Mike Sando has more from Sidney Rice on Harvin’s situation.

Some tidbits

* The defense owned the two-minute drill today, as the first, second and third-unit offense struggled to move the ball against the defense in that situation. Perhaps the most disheartening thing for Seattle was the second-unit defense shutting down the first-unit offense in the two-minute situation.

* Rookie running back Christine Michael worked with the first unit as the third-down back in the 2-minute drill.

* Tarvaris Jackson took reps with the second-unit offense during the two-minute drill.

* Rookie defensive tackle Jordan Hill worked with the first-unit offense at defensive tackle alongside Brandon Mebane.

* Russell Wilson talked about his experience running with the bulls in Spain this summer, acknowledging that Carroll and the organization wasn’t exactly pleased with his decision.

“Originally I just wanted to go to Spain, and I was looking at stuff on what to do, and all of a sudden I see this guy getting gored by a bull, and I was like, ‘Yeah, that’s what I’m going to do,’” Okung said, chuckling.

And how did the conversation with Carroll about his experience go afterward?

“It didn’t go too well,” Okung said. “But I think the thing they knew about me is that I would be safe, and as much as I could do the right thing.”

* Along with Harvin, Zach Miller (foot), Tharold Simon (foot), Robert Turbin (foot), Chris Clemons (knee) and Greg Scruggs (knee). Linebacker Korey Toomer (knee) remains on the non-football injury list. Michael Robinson and Heath Farwell also did not practice today, but no word on what their injury might be as Pete Carroll did not talk with reporters today.

Notes from practice
  1. rramstad says:

You’ve got “Russell Wilson talked about his experience running with the bulls” when it was Okung.

2. Russell Wilson talked about his experience running with the bulls(?)

3. Oops, sorry rramstad, didn’t see your post!

4. Jordan Hill worked with the first-unit (defense?) How is MB doing at 3T?

5. 26 July 2013 VMAC
    I’ll leave it to Eric and others give you the serious news from camp. Here are just my observations…

Some stuff that was good to see:

74 Moffitt cracking up his team mates and coaches alike.

51 Irvin looking very trim; hanging and practicing with the LBs; rushing the QB from a standing position.

Dan Quinn back coaching the D linemen… I used to love watching Quinn when he coached our D line. If one didn’t know better, one would think he was our D line coach again rather than our DC. There he was, working hands-on with the linemen on their hand techniques. (Remember, Quinn coached young Michael Bennett when was first here as a rookie UDFA?) Once again, he and Bennett are here and Quinn is now working hands-on with young 97 Jordan Hill. I love watching Quinn coach like I love watching Tom Cable coach.

Random Observations:

Defense looks more ready than the offense, as per usual this time of year.

56 Cliff Avril (!) looks trim and fast. I think we are lucky to have him at Leo until Clem comes back. Should be fine.

91 Clemons – on the sidelines – has No knee brace on, and he looks trim.

79 Big Red does not look trim, and his right right knee is wrapped.

92 Baner looks heavy. May 20 or 30 extra pounds? Looking like he’s an NT for life; I can’t see him ever playing 3-tech again at this weight. (But, as big as he is, when it came time for pass-blocking drills, he showed he still has jumps and had more spring in his legs than any of the big DTs.)

90 Jesse Williams. What a beast. His upper half looks like Dan Saleamua – 100% NT, but from the waist down he is narrow like a DE. Add the neck-to-ankle tarts, and the mohawk, and he is one big badass dude.

97 Jordan Hill looks bigger than I thought he would, and his quickness is notable.

77 Carpenter looks ready. He still has a hard knee brace on his left knee, but he was stretching fully, moving quickly, and teaming with Okung. Great to see.

Two linemen standing side by side blocking out the sun — 77 Carpenter and 63 Rishaw Johnson. Two immovable objects from the waist down.

33 Michael looks like the fastest RB on the field. No pads, no hitting, makes an easy practice for the RBs, but Michael was flaunting his speed for the coaches to see.

82 Willson and 43 Palmer – two TEs who showed off their soft hands and sure catches.

84 Sean McGrath’s mountain man beard is badass. Looked like Coach Carroll was giving him a good ribbing about it.

Good to be back at the VMAC.

6. bbnate420 says:

Eric, thanks for the info. Could you try to find out what’s going on with Toomer?

The piece by Sando was very good.

7. bbnate420 says:

Thanks for the observations, Stevos. Did Jesse Williams have head to toe tarts or tats? I thought Carp looked good from the little I saw on the live feed. Isn’t is his right knee that he messed up?

8. lol. tatts, bbnate, tatts.

9. pretty sure its Carpenter’s left knee. still has a mechanical brace on it, but didn’t seem to slow him down at all.

10. bbnate420 says:

I guess it was the left knee. I thought I saw the brace on his right knee, but obviously I didn’t.

Thanks Eric, and great report Stevos. Great to have these back. HawksKD, you’re up!

12. chuck_easton says:

Stevos,

Why would the team allow a bunch of suggestively dressed women on the practice field let alone allow them to be hanging off Williams from head to toe?

The big question is did he still look fast despite all the ladies hanging on to him?

13. RDPoulsbo says:

Wilson probably had the bulls so confused by his play action, they went after Okung instead.

Well, the secondary is stacked and it’s early, but hopefully, the offense can do better as TC progresses.

Anyone know what’s up with Toomer? I must have missed how he got a non-football related injury.

14. As usual, I appreciate the work of our blog masters. However, I love reading reports (thanks Stevos – from this thread) from the regular joe, like ourselves, who go to camp and let the rest of us who can’t be there know what they have observed too. Just b/c I don’t feel the need to post much anymore since no matter what you say someone will get mad and take it out of context – doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate this blog (even if I don’t read every comment anymore).

15. chuck_easton says:

BobbyK,

As a Seahawk fan living Viking land what is your take on Harvin?

16. doubledink says:

I’m really glad they gave Browner a raise. That was a move full of respect. At his age his next contract would not be what it could were he a younger man. They told him, in essence, “We know we signed you at a bargain and could leave you there, but you earned this.”

I have to take back my criticisms of the FO in the past for seeming to only adjust players pay in the downward direction. This proves they are willing to do both. Well done JS/PC!

17. Class move re: Browner. Hopefully the next step is an extension.

18. raymaines says:

I had a tart from head to toe once. It was in San Francisco in the late 1960′s if I remember right.

Here is a very instructive 12 minute and 20 second audio clip from the B&D show on 710 ESPN this morning about Percy Harvin:

19. lol. you guys are brutal.

20. bbnate420 says:

I think it’s cool that they gave Browner a raise. I still don’t see how they keep him if he commands a big contract. You can’t pay everyone.

21. Ewalters7354 says:

That’s why he said what he said.Browner
    seems to be willing to take a discount to keep the LOB together. I honestly think our four starters in the secondary will all be together for at least 3 more years.Unless the hawks start losing. God forbid.

22. chuck_easton says:

Well Browner did come from the CFL where the average salary for a starting CB is around $50,000.00 a year.

Even the NFL vet minimum is ten times what he was making here in Calgary.

23. montanamike2 says:

My take is that Browner will sign an extension for less to be with this group, he seems loyal to PC as well and the extra money, although not huge is a real class act. When i say not huge i’m comparing the bonus to RW’s salary.

24. Ewalters7354 says:

Amen Montana

25. bsinnitt says:

Thanks for the great write up Stevos! Looking forward to attending practice on Aug. 14th.

Glad to hear Browner wants to stay in Seattle. His manhandling of opposing receivers definitely sends a message to opposing offenses. A smile always comes to my face when I think of the Packers game last year when I think of the borderline cheap shot he put on Jennings away from the ball. Jennings hops up and comes at him and he pile drives him in the end zone. Not the brightest maneuver but I loved the message it sent.

26. The interesting thing on the Harvin deal is that PC said today that if Harvin has surgery he will not play this year.

This will be an interesting thing to watch unfold

27. HonHawksLSB says:

Did the Hawks ever put Kam on the injury report for a hip last year?

Dude is tough as nails playing through a hip and the front office rewarded him with a contract!

28. HonHawksLSB says:

Reporting live from Seahawks camp, SI’s Peter King tweeted Friday that Seahawks SS Kam Chancellor played through an injury similar to Percy Harvin’s partially torn hip labrum last season.

29. montanamike2 says:

That’s encouraging.

30. rramstad says:

Yeah, I see Browner as a man of his word… you give him a million now, tell him you want him, ask him to take some reasonable deal later, he shakes hands with you, and gets a 5th best CB contract, or something like that, around the franchise number, for a few years once this year is over. They don’t have the space to really do that deal now, or it would box them in, but they do have the space to give him a little extra…

31. They unfortunately cant pay all 4 – Kam already got paid, ET is making it very clear he wants to get paid. and Sherm will be there soon.

Gonna be tough – I don’t enby Schnieder to have to decide what is fair and how to get all these guys under contract. that is why he gets paid the big bucks. They have proved they know how to build, now can they keep it alive?

32. We just all pray for the Lord to heal PH. I know he feels bad about all this. He knows and hear folks out there talk about him. We Hawks fans need to keep faith. Go Hawks!!

33. We don’t have any holdouts? JS is OK!

34. Hello all sorry so late to the party. Im going to do this piece by piece because i keep on deleting what i wrote. Unfortunately this may be the only practice i make it to. I foolishly did not anticipate for the tickets to sell out so quickly. I do not have many observations on the linemen as they were mostly grinding it out on the far field as was the scrimmage

Pass rush/Pass pro
    Okung looks to pick up where he left off last season. He looks strong and very fluid. As good as he looked michael bennett was making okung put in some work as they matched up often during pass rush drills. Carpenter looks the best that ive seen him in any camp. He is looking very strong stonewalling some of the new guys with some great pop at initial contact even driving a few back. Bruce Irvin looks much faster. I’m skeptical about his move to OLB but launching from a few feet back it appears as though he’s already in another gear by the time a blocker gets hands on him. Again I’m skeptical of the move but if it generates pressure than so be it. During scrimmage there was quite a bit of pressure on the QB’s both up the middle and from the outside.

Replacing the prospect of Harvin:
    When Harvin came to town, i thought that the writing was on the wall for Baldwin. Apparantly he thought so too. He looks a little bigger and ALOT faster. Easiest the best player on the field today. When there was a spectacular catch most likely it was Doug Baldwin. With his pristine routes and aggressive attack on passes thrown his way he should hit his same rookie marks and some. Baldwin playing for his position and possibly his job. Stay healthy sir.

Stephen Williams looks to have some very consistant hands and also attacks the ball in the same fashion as baldwin. Look for him to sneak on the Roster thats already crowded with some talent at WR

That Defense:
    Hitting on all cylinders today. 1st, 2nd, 3rd. All were dominant today. Plenty of interceptions, batted balls, and probable sacks today. Some things that stood out. Chancellor and his soft hands. I think we get so seduced by his violent bone jarring hits that we forget he can also field it pretty well. Antoine Winfield is so damn small. I forget that we have some large corners evens sans Sherman and Browner. Lotuleilei popped out to me not only because his large hawaiian polomalu-esque mane, but my goodness the kid has some incredible feet and lateral agility. I don’t see him making the team due to our incredible depth at LB. But look for him to pop during some of the preseason games. He’s fast and looks to be a violent tackler.

I know our QB position doesn’t require as much monitoring as it did last year, but its hard NOT to watch those guys. Ill post about it tomorrow as my mind is already checking out

35. SandpointHawk says:

Thanks HawksKD. Great to have another set of eyes there.

I know several of us here at Insider look forward to your reports…

If anyone has unused tickets to the practice sessions let’s find a way to get them to HawksKD….

36. “Lotuleilei popped out to me not only because his large hawaiian polomalu-esque mane, but my goodness the kid has some incredible feet and lateral agility. I don’t see him making the team due to our incredible depth at LB.”

Pretty much any LB’s trying to make this roster will have to standout on special teams in addition to what they do on D. I love what I’ve read about Loutuleilei this summer, and I think he’s got an outside shot at making the roster, but he will have to kick butt on special teams because guys like Farwell and Morgan are locked into place because of what they do on ST’s.

37. montanamike2 says:

I was surprised in the video highlights of Kam Bam-Bam, i too expected almost exclusively game changing hits, but nearly half of the footage shows him intercepting or knocking out the ball. I’m glad i traded my Sherman jersey for his, i think Sherman is the top, or top 5 CB’s, but i’m more of a quite “enforcer” who hits hard but doesn’t talk much.
    If i could afford it i’d have about a dozen jerseys and a reserved booth near the field where some of you could be my guest. I have to meet Zuckerberg’s sister in law, she’d be the “Chan Hawk”. There is my wife however, and dreams will be dreams. When i was a teenager i dated a Greek girl while pretty was kind of dumb, her parents owned the best pizza restaurant of all time. It didn’t take long until she noticed i was into pizza more than her, and when i polished off her father’s Ouzo bottle that was it. Best pizza i’ve ever had.

38. montanamike2 says:

I also think the Sherman jersey was a bit bandwagon for around here. My Wilson one is a must have though.

39. SaigonSun says:

MM2,that confession was so funny.
    Thanks HawksKD.

40. bbnate420 says:

Thanks for the report, KD. Carp looked really good to me in the live stream. Hopefully he forces some people to eat some crow this year.

If Harvin plays through his injury it will be because of his will, dedication, and medical science. It won’t be due to magical potions or talking to deities.

Also, I wouldn’t count on his situation being the same as Chancellor’s, if in fact Kam did have a hip problem last year. An injury in the same area tells us nothing about the severity.

We are going to have to wait and see with Browner. It’s one thing to talk now and another to pass on millions of dollars later. Especially for someone that will be 30 next year and hasn’t made a lot of money when you consider his NFL career will likely be 8 years at most. I wouldn’t blame him one bit for getting what he can. His market is confined to teams that play press though.

Thanks for the reports Stevos & HawksKD.

As for eating crow, I’ve had my plate ready for awhile now. I hope it happens because Carp could make for a dominant LG in the NFL.

42. Georgia – crow is on my menu too, whenever I criticize my Hawks too much I’m happy to be proven wrong. Cheers.

There’s a big difference between a player who has injuries and gets off to a slow start in his career… and a ‘bust’. And I think we all use that tag too easily.

43. bbnate420 says:

Yes, the bust tag certainly gets used too often. Save it for people like Carimi. ;-)

44. HeinieHunter says:

Thanks to Stevo and HawksKD for the reports. Keep it up please for those of use that aren’t there at camp.

45. Big ups to Stevos and HawsksKD for the insightful reports.
    I wish I could make it up to training camp, but these little snippets are the next best thing.