The truth about Lynch and Skittles

Post by Eric Williams on July 13, 2013 at 9:06 pm with 23 Comments »
July 15, 2013 1:12 pm

DeLisa Lynch, the mother of Marshawn Lynch, provided the low down today at her son’s football camp here in Oakland on the reason he eats the multi-colored candy before every game.

“When he was playing Pop Warner – and I would have to bring the other kids, too – I would always have candy in my purse to kind of calm him down,” DeLisa Lynch said. “So I would take the Skittles before the game and be like, ‘Here baby, you eat these. These are your power pellets.

“I don’t know where anybody got that I would give him Skittles if he scored a touchdown – no. They were his power pellets before the game even started. It was just a joke for me and him.”

Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch former Oakland Tech High football star, center, jokes around with camp volunteers Jakharie Murphy, left, wide receiver Troy Evans, right, during the Fam 1st Family Foundation's annual youth football camp at Oakland Tech High School in Oakland, Calif., on Saturday, July 13, 2013. Lynch along with Cincinnati Bengals backup quarterback Josh Johnson, also a former Oakland Tech High football star, hosted the free one-day camp for kids ages 6-18 to work on their football skills and sportsmanship. (Anda Chu/Bay Area News Group)
Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch former Oakland Tech High football star, center, jokes around with camp volunteers Jakharie Murphy, left, wide receiver Troy Evans, right, during the Fam 1st Family Foundation’s annual youth football camp at Oakland Tech High School in Oakland, Calif., on Saturday, July 13, 2013. Lynch along with Cincinnati Bengals backup quarterback Josh Johnson, also a former Oakland Tech High football star, hosted the free one-day camp for kids ages 6-18 to work on their football skills and sportsmanship. (Anda Chu/Bay Area News Group)

DeLisa Lynch said the ritual continued to high school, and by the time he got to college, Cal head coach Jeff Tedford gave him cases of Skittles, telling him not to eat the candy all at once.

Skittles would seem like a natural endorsement deal for Lynch – but that has not happened yet according to his mother.

“I even contacted Skittles to see if they would donate some for the camp,” she said. “I told them we have a non-profit organization and we do a camp. I wrote them personally, but I have yet to hear back from them.

“It’s been over a year, but I’m not going to worry about that because he still likes Skittles.”

Lynch had about 600 kids at his camp on Saturday at Oakland Tech High, where he went to high school.

Lynch, who rarely talks to reporters, did talk about his camp at the end of a long day on Saturday.

“It’s just important to show them a different side of it, and that we feel for them as well,” he said. “They go through so much during the year, so this is an opportunity to just let them hang loose, and just be kids like they’re supposed to.

“Most of them, unless I’m running up into their high school, most of them only see me on TV, so it’s just another opportunity. Most of them I know from previous camps and being out here. So it’s more like a reunion for some of them.”

Off the field

Eric, that was so awesome! Little Big Man, the way Lynch would fire up for the kids… Thank you for attending and posting this. Brilliant.

2. I love that pro sports athletes do these types of events!! So great for the kids that attend

3. Nice seeing Forsett. I wonder if he is still hawking his Shower Pill? They weren’t taking it easy on those little tykes with the drills. Good to see.

Marshawn, don’t get into that Econoline van this evening. j/k

4. Bills fans will keep trying to convince themselves that their team didn’t get fleeced and that they kept the best two RBs on their roster, but it’s already one of the best trades in Seahawks history.

The Seahawks did get Steve Largent for an eighth-round pick, so that’s probably No. 1. Getting two first rounders for Galloway, and one first rounder for Mirer are also up there. So is the trade for Chris Clemons.

Worst trades: Trading for Charlie Whitehurst and Keith Millard, and trading away Ahman Green come to mind. I’m sure there are others.

5. It’s nice to see that Lynch and his mom are being loyal to Skittles, but the company is getting lots of free advertising and the least they can do is help with the camp. I’m sure if it was the wholesome Russell Wilson who loved Skittles, he’d already have an endorsement deal in place.

6. raymaines says:

Thank you Eric! Good stuff.

7. wabubba67 says:

Also a first round pick (or was it two??) from the Colts for Fredd Young.

I know that Lynch did not do this camp in order to possibly garner good local publicity and influence the court system…but it can’t hurt.

8. Ha! Thanks Eric!! E Williams cracks the secret of the skittles!

If anybody would know how to help coach and talk to kids, especially troubled kids – it would be Marshawn. I hope he’ll talk to the media a bit more this year. The dude has a big heart.

9. Thanks Mr Williams!!! The feeling from Marshawn’s camp is so much love and good feeling that it kinda takes a little of the bitter taste from the trial outcome of Trayvon Martin’s killing away. Pray for, support and love his family right now. They need it.

Here’s one thing Forsett did this offseason. BTW, if you’re not familiar with Annie, google her. She’s a ridiculous athlete and has the sickest abs on any woman I’ve ever seen.

klm – Wrong place. Wrong forum.

12. sorry Duke, i try not to do too much goin’ O/T. Just liked the feeling from ML’s camp vid…

13. jawpeace says:

Wabubba it was indeed two first round picks for Fred Young. I remember being upset when they traded him. But after the trade Young never played with heart again and resembled a shell of himself.

But if you think about the trade. It occurred because the Hawks used a first round pick on the Boz. His steroid shoulders body broke down fast and he was a bust. So in essence the Hawks just regrouped one of the first rounders for the Boz and picked up another.

Also if I remember correctly the Hawks used their first rounder and the one from the Colts both in the top ten to move up to the third spot to take the great HOF Cortez Kennedy!

So the ramifications of trading Young was one of the BIGGEST trades in Hawk history.

Another great trade was the draft we took S. Springs and W. Jones! I can’t remember what the Hawks did to get the two high fist rounders?

14. raymaines says:

You guys are incredible. How do you remember that stuff?

jawpeace – I remembered they had 2 first rounders that year because of the Mirer trade, but how they got so high, my memory wasn’t refreshed until I read this. Thank you for making me look it up. Enjoy…

16. jawpeace says:

Duke I did enjoy- thanks for the link to the cool read!
    BTW coach Mudd’s assessment of Jones was pretty good. I am thankful that Jones was there at six and the Bucs made a deal and the rest is history!

17. In the ’97 draft SEA swapped their 1st & 3rd rd picks, and gave their 2nd & 4th rounders to ATL to get Springs @ #3, so it was lucky that Orlando Pace was in that draft, otherwise Big Walt would have probably been a Ram. The Rams gave their #6 pick (where we got Walt) plus whatever to the Jets for their #1 overall pick to get Pace. Then the Jets traded back to pick #8 with TB where NYJ picked James Farrier, then SEA traded the #12 and #66 with TB where they got Warrick Dunn and Rhonde Barber. Warrick Dunn left with Dungy, but TB probably wouldn’t have won the SB without Barber. I’m happy we got Big Walt and TB fans should be happy with their picks. Win-win. If you got better memory chips please correct me.

18. Oops, duke beat me again! That was a good draft, even though there weren’t many players taken, they were good ones.

19. I think John Madden ought to introduce Big Walt for his HoF honor. I remember Madden often saying how good Walter Jones was, things like “Best left tackle in football, maybe the best football player, period”.

20. Seahawks22360 says:

Hahaha they were letting the kids have it in those bag drills. Awesome video!

21. Antideluvian says:

C’mon Skittles…you can’t even RESPOND? A pro athlete gives them the best free advertising for their product EVER and they ask for some assistance with a youth camp and there is no response? That’s just wrong.

22. Wow, Hawks missed out on a bunch of good players, but Springs and Jones were perfect for our team for years, through multiple regimes. Itula Mili is my choice for the best TE ever in Seattle, he was a great find as well. None of the other guys drafted–the two DB’s–ever did anything as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the link, Dukeshire!

23. ryanryan says:

maybe if it weren’t for his DUI case?

right now its free advertising and positive pub for those that love marshawn without the scrutiny from watchdog groups.

i wish marshawn would tackle me…hurts so good i bet, lol