Hawks cut WR Charly Martin

Post by Eric Williams on July 11, 2013 at 2:54 pm with 40 Comments »
July 11, 2013 2:56 pm
Oakland Raiders defensive back Bryan McCann defends a pass intended for Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Charly Martin in the second half of a preseason NFL football game Thursday, Aug. 30, 2012 in Seattle. (AP Photo/Stephen Brashear)

The Seattle Seahawks made two roster moves this afternoon, releasing veteran receiver Charly Martin, and claiming long snapper Kyle Nelson off of waivers.

Martin, 29, totaled four receptions for 42 yards in 2012. He finished last season on the injured reserve with a calf issue. Martin faced long odds making Seattle’s roster in a stacked receiver group.

The Seahawks now have 13 receivers on the team’s 90-man roster.

Nelson was released by San Francisco. A New Mexico State product, Nelson appeared in six games for San Diego as a rookie last season. The second-year pro will provide competition for Seattle incumbent long snapper Clint Gresham.

Cuts and waivers
  1. RDPoulsbo says:

Ok, I’ll make a comment about the GB game from last year I’ve said was way over and done with. One of my thoughts at the time was, “wow, does Charly Martin really suck at judging jump balls.”

2. raymaines says:

Speaking of Clint Gresham….

This was kind of funny:

No player safe, always compete. Even you, Gresham!

4. Good luck to Charly Martin. He has the talent, but dropped passes in his few opportunities in Seattle. Perhaps the Jets or Jags pick him up? They both need bodies…

5. Nelson is probably a bit cheaper than Gresham.

6. Charly Martin could have been a star … on the 2008 team. Timing is everything.

No surprise here. With Harper and Phil Bates moving up. Kearse will get released too.

8. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/7/11/4515824/every-seahawks-td-from-2012 (very nice)

i think kearse makes the team, he had some clutch catches last year when given the chance. now he has good eyes.

hawkfaninoklahoma- The other white meat will not make the team, imo. Perhaps the practice squad if he is still eligible.

Nice link though Oklahoma.

11. MattandCindy says:

After another 180 days in the sand, I am back home in the TAC. My wife tells me she didn’t comment much, but read everyday. Hope everyone is well, and I’m pretty damn ecstatic for this season. All we did, showerin’ or shootin’, was talk smack about each others teams. They’re all so scared about R-Dub, Beast and Percy on the field at the same time.

I hope Kearse makes the team. He’s a longshot, I know, but he seems like the kind of athletic, intelligent, good hearted player who just wants to win that teams need. Sadly, he’s in a logjam with some talented logs.

MattandCindy- I thought you were on witness protection along with HawksKD.
    Welcome back.

As usual another good link Oklahoma.

14. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

a little long winded, but at least it keeps us out of pointless debates.

15. seatowntp says:

Thank you Ok and Field Gulls!

HawksKD will be here in just a couple weeks: soon as camp opens.

MattandCindy – Welcome back!

I have been critical of Holmgren in the past, However if he was GM at the time of the Alexander/Hutch new contract era, imo, he goes with Hutch.
    What do you think?

18. Kearse will make the team. Bates will get cut. imo

19. bbnate420 says:

I thought it was MorkandMindy, Georgia?

20. raymaines says:

Eight minutes and thirty five awesome seconds watching every TD the Hawks scored last year.

Two things: RW can throw deep. If that were ever a question, it shouldn’t have been. Two: We’re keeping Tate. I don’t know who else might stay or go, but we’re keeping Tate.

It is playfully bbnate420. Just like I call you Nate the poor debate Lol.

Actually nate you are the Masturdebator on this blog.

No harm nate. Just playing! You are our Troll protector!

24. bird_spit says:

My open prayer…may the football gods shine brightly on our beloved hawks. Please lord, shut the mouths of these pitiful Green Bay fans. A-men

25. bird_spit says:

The almost live video is priceless from that link..

“Your posts are like a tidal wave, spinning over my head” “You challenge me with your premises , better left unsaid”
    “You’re the right kind of blogger to release your inner fantasies” To the effects of a winner, and you know that you were born to be. You’re a heartbreaker, dream maker, love taker “Don’t you mess around with me”Cause you’re a heartbreaker, dream maker, love takerDon’t you mess around, no, no”
    The Seahawks set my soul on fire, burning out of control they taught me the ways of desire, now it’s taking its toll”
    We’re the right kind of bloggers to release our inner fantasies The effects of a winner, and you know that you were born to be.”

27. bsinnitt says:

Count me in the group hoping Kearse makes the team. I see him filling the role of Obo nicely in the future. Solid backup receiver/special teams guy on a modest contract. To keep the stars together we’ll need some solid low cost players to fill out the roster here eventually. On top of that you always have to root for the T-town boys. Go Hawks!

28. bsinnitt says:

Looking forward to going to my first practice on Aug. 14th this year. Been to plenty of games but never a practice. The burm at VMAC looks like a pretty sweet view point in the pics.

29. Guy that wrote the GB article must have a small pee pee – funny how the rest of the NFL thought all the Hawks fans were whiners after the SB but nobody in GB is a whiner

30. bird_spit, if I find this GB writer guy cluelessly wandering the streets of downtown Seattle, I would jump him on sight and punch him in the face with a big ass wheel of gouda. Ha!

What a pathetic piece of crap this dude is to grow up in our beloved city and ignore the loyalty the 12th man have shown through thick and thin. And I like our sharp new unis, especially home navy with action green.

We will be vindicated in NYC in 2/2014!

War-Hawks, come out and play-ay. Tell ‘em what’s up Nate.

31. bbnate420 says:

I think whoever plays the best out of Harper, Kearse, Williams, and Bates will take the 5th spot. Duh. There’s a chance they keep 6. I think it depends on whether or not they keep 5 RBs. I would put Harper as the favorite to take the 5th spot. He’s just so big and fast. I think he has the ability to be a ST star, and that will play a large role in the 5th/6th WR spots. I think that Kearse and Williams fight for the 6th spot, if there is one.

32. I think we’ll keep 6 WR’s:

For the RealRobReport aficionados, T/F Quiz: which nicknames are real?

1. Percy “Lord Have Mercy” Harvin
    2. Golden “Crispy Brown” Tate-R Tot
    3. Sidney “Don’t call me Sindy” Rice
    4. Doug “DB Fresh” Baldwin
    5. Chris “The Caboose is Loose” Harper
    6. Jermaine “Chop Chop” Kearse

BTW, The Other White Meat (Reppin’ Lakes, TAC-town, love the guy,
    but he still can’t freestyle worth a poop.

33. bbnate420 says:

Well, I know that 4 and 6 are real. I don’t believe I’ve heard the rest. I’ll just go with 4 and 6, I guess.

34. bbnate420 says:

If I had to pick another real one, I’d go with #2.

35. You’re spot on, Nate. 4 and 6 are ones that I’ve heard on realrob or freshfiles. The other ones I made up, but hope some of them stick.

I’m partial to Chris “The Caboose” Harper, myself. Dude is a solid 230 lbs. Imagine him boxing out Patrick Peterson in the end zone for jump balls with that junk in the trunk.

36. montanamike2 says:

Harper seems like a younger version of A.Boldin.

37. sluggo42 says:

Well, the bitter taste of the Super Bowl is still in my mouth over blown, or should I say purposely favorable calls to Pitt. The difference is this wasn’t a blown call, and numerous bad calls/ non calls DID go Gaybays way, but they still lost.

I hope they cry for the next ten years, and I hope this call begins a decade of mediocracy for the Pack, and that they always point their finger back in time to this very play, the springboard to the “decade of dominance” by the Hawks

38. MattandCindy says:

Thanks for all the welcomes Duke, Georgia, and Nater-ade.
    I can honestly say I converted at least a few dozen locals who didn’t even know who the Hawks were to 12th man status.