Morning links: Stopping Earl Thomas

Post by Eric Williams on July 9, 2013 at 7:23 am with 76 Comments »
July 9, 2013 7:52 am
Chicago Bears wide receiver Earl Bennett (80) misses a pass under pressure from Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas (29) and cornerback Brandon Browner (39 in the first half of an NFL football game in Chicago, Sunday, Dec. 2, 2012. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

Matt Bowen writing for ESPN Insider offers a nice breakdown on Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas.

Bowen says that Thomas is one of the top safeties in the league, and points to a couple different route combinations that opponents could use to try and beat Thomas deep – the pump-seam, the “Dino double post, the double smash-seam and creating a one-on-one match up against Thomas with a bigger tight end like Vernon Davis by using pre-snap motion. You must be an ESPN Insider to view this.

Bowen: “I love watching tape of the Seattle Seahawks’ secondary. They are a physical, aggressive unit that has size, speed and plays with a swagger. That’s exactly what I would look for as a coach (or as a talent evaluator) when putting together a core unit that can control the back end of the defense.

The production of this Seahawks secondary begins with the play of Earl Thomas – one of the top players at the free safety position. He is the “angel” in the middle of the field who allows Pete Carroll’s defense to lean on press-man and physicality at the line of scrimmage.”

Of course, Thomas looks forward to the challenge.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com takes a closer look at Seattle’s secondary, focusing on Thomas.

A Seahawks fan organization known as Volume 12 has applied with Guinness to have the noise level monitored at this year’s home opener against San Francisco. If successful, the Seahawks would knock off fans of a Turkish soccer team, whose roar achieved a decibel level of 131.76 in 2011.

Joe Fortenbaugh of the National Football Post examines the home-field advantage question by using the Las Vegas point spread to identify teams that exceed the home line by the most points. Not surprisingly, the Seahawks have the largest spread differential between home and road games since 2008. Interesting read.

Seahawks quarterback talks with reporters at his passing academy in Spokane in the video below.

CBS Sports fantasy football writer Dave Richard says he’s targeting Russell Wilson for the upcoming season out of all the breakout rookie quarterbacks from last season.

Morning links
  1. Just like Earl, I hope people test our secondary more this year so they get more picks and pick 6’s. Stats only come with opportunities.
    The effectiveness of our pass rush will determine how dominant the Legion of Boom will be. Even if we don’t get sacks we should get enough pressure to disrupt the QB’s timing and mess with his rhythm.

If they can get a lot more pressure on the opposing QBs than they have in the last few years I see Thomas averaging 10 + picks per year. Wow! He just turned 24, he’s younger than Wilson.

3. montanamike2 says:

This is too good to be true.

4. montanamike2 says:

That home game is gonna rock! I envy those of you that have tickets.

5. Earl Thomas is the best cover safety in the NFL. No one comes close to his range/speed. Coming up in run support, he’s not the best. Which is fine, he’s still my personal fave and I love the guy. And he’s pretty good covering slot WR’s like a corner too, though he of course has trouble covering guys like Vernon Davis. Thats just a mismatch anyway you slice it, and as a D-Coord, you never want to see that happen. A little guy like Thomas should never be expected to cover someone that big and fast one-on-one.

So, yeah, I expect to see the Whiners try to get Davis on Thomas and/or Winfield as often as possible. Its up to Quinn to come up with a way to counter that, with a zone or something.

Of course, putting Kap on his arse in two seconds flat would take care of the problem! Lets hope our D-line sack drought is old news by game one!

Damn you Bowen for going to the dark side! I’m going to have to relent now and subscribe to Insider. His breakdowns are too good and I miss reading him at National Football Post.

After Wilson, Thomas is the most important player on this team, IMO. He allows Carroll’s defensive philosophies to function at a high level. Plus, he’s becoming a strong leader on that side of the ball.

Montana – I’ll be there doing my part.

7. By the way, Eric, that pic of Earl Thomas is simply awesome! Thank you for posting it. What a shot! Hats off to Nam Huh!

(PS That looks like Browner got away with PI doesnt it lol! Oh well, he’s been called for phantom PI so many times he’s earned a few passes!)

I will actually say that he *is* one of the better FS in run support in the league. He’s a sure and willing tackler; don’t let his size fool you.

9. Here’s a good interview about Seattle’s secondary I heard recently —

Interview with Darren Woodson (S Cowboys 1992-2004)
    Interviewed by Danny O’Neil and Brock Huard June 25th, 2013

Huard: With the ‘Legion of Boom’, what will another year under their belts mean to their productivity this season?

Woodsen: “The confidence continues to build. This group will continue to grow. They have a bullseye on their chests now, trust me. Every week when they show up, everyone wants to beat them. I heard an interview the other day with rookie Houston Texan Newk Hopkins DaAndre saying ‘Richard Sherman, that’s who I want to play against.’ I played with Deion Sanders. I remember every week whichever WR it was would play at the highest level against him. If they only got one catch, they were happy. And that’s the kind of reputation this secondary has. They are physical, they are playmakers, have a swagger, they have a confidence about them, and they know they are the best in the league, hands-down. I don’t even think its close. You talk about secondaries? They are the best secondary in the league right now.”

O’Neil: Is it size? Is is style? What makes then stand out so much, Darren?

Woodson: “I think its athleticism and I think its the long-ness they have. You look at Brandon Browner, he’s 6’3, and his wing span is incredible. If he’s pressing you, its hard to get off the LOS and it messes up the entire timing of the route for a WR if he has to work that hard to get off. And Richard Sherman, he can do it all. Press up on you man-to-man, play off you man-to-man. He’s very intelligent at the position. He reminds me mores of someone like a Deion Sanders when he played off, with ability to read the QB, or someone like Asante Samuel. Earl Thomas if probably the best S in the league, with his play-making ability to play sideline-to-sildeline, and then come up and bang you. And then, Kam Chancellor, I don’ think he get’s enough credit. They know he’s a big hitter, but he’s also a guy who covers the TE well and he’s in your face. So the confidence that these guys play with is incredible. For a former player, it is a breath of fresh air to watch these guys play.”

O’Neil: Where does Earl Thomas fit in the pecking order for Safeties?

Woodson: “I’d put him at number one right now, as this season some around. I’d say the guy who has the most tools is Eric Berry in Kansas City, he covers well, covers the slot guy, he blitzes well, but if you’re asking about the best play-making ability right now, its Earl Thomas.”

Huard: So how does another team attack this secondary?

Woodson: “Injuries for one. Plus, there will be times they will run into teams like the Atlanta Falcons who went deep on them a couple of times. And, can Brandon Browner cover off? How well can he cover if you put a receiver on the move and he can’t get up on the LOS and press? Plus, you can bet that every team that is on their schedule this year has broken down film for every play to find their weaknesses. There is always some weakness. Right now I’d say Richard Sherman is the guy you try to stay from from and Brandon Browner is the guy they will try to go to.”

O’Neil: Does Richard Sherman talk too much?

Woodson: “No. I love it. I played with Deion Sanders. They called him Prime Time for a reason. His confidence was… he was not as brash, but… Deion talked about Deion in a different light and he played the game at the highest level. They are different players, but I love the confidence of this guy. You have to have that type of confidence at the cornerback position. 50% of it is confidence. If you can get beat on a play and wash it off and get after it the next play, that’s what Richard Sherman has. Sometimes you have to have that swagger about you.”

10. … and did anyone happen to catch the Richard Sherman interview on nfl.net a week or so ago? They tried to bait him into renewing the Roddy White jaw-boning from last month, and Sherman wasn’t having it. He stayed classy. He didn’t say much. He was all business.

The nonsense of the offseason is almost over. Its business time.

11. sluggo42 says:

I look forward to seeing what this group does with a healthy and larger front line, and an improved lb core. More QB pressure leads to less thoughtful passes. Advantage hawks.

They are all so young and just having the one year of experience for a few of them helps so much. Plus the new guys etc.
    our d was really good last year, and WILL be better up front this year.

I’m no math wizard, but even in my pea-brain, this adds up well. Not only for the DB’s as well. Better coverage gives the rush more time to get home, better lb play takes run support duties off the dbacks, synergy at its finest…

12. Duke….. I completely agree, Earl is one of the best tackling FS. Name one better than Earl? I can’t.

13. trout_hound says:

Great Woodson interview. Missed that one. I think Sherman probably got a little chat from Coach during the mini camps about toning it down. Whatever it was, he seems a bit smarter.
    Like Stevos said, It’s business time.. (with a nod to Flight of the Conchords).

14. sluggo42 says:

Omg trout, flight of the Concorde?

I just bought a Casio DG-20 at a garage sale for $2 lol

15. No disrespect to ET, but I could name lots of better run support safeties than Earl. Pound-for-pound and Inch-for-inch, he is one of the best in every technique, including tackling and wrapping up. But he’s only 5’10” 200#, so he’ll never be a beast in run support. Teams will always try to run at him, and that is something our DC always has to be aware of and use to his advantage if possible.

My biggest wish for Earl this year is more safety blitzes. He was compared to Palomalu often when he was a rookie, but hasn’t been sent on blitzes nearly as much as I though he would be. He has those skills, and it will be interesting to see if he’s used that way in the new defense.

16. Stevos – Troy Polamalu is a strong safety. No doubt there are better run support SS, but at FS? I can’t name one.

Stevo – Which FS are better at run support, out of curiosity.

Oops… ?

19. blocis, okay, no real argument here. Although Ed Reed and Eric Weddle come to mind as pretty great run-support free safeties. And Manning from the Texans. But for a deep coverage safety, I don’t think anyone is at Earl’s level.

20. Duke, I’m not going to say anyone is “better” than Earl. I just think there are other excellent players who could be in the conversation and deserve some props.

The best thing about suggesting that someone else might be better than ET would be to piss him off and make him want to be even better. lol. Come to think of it, we should start blogging that he’ll always be too small to be any good. lol.

21. Plenty of FS’s are better than Earl Thomas at run support, but Thomas is among the top overall FS’s in the NFL, and my choice as number one.

Ryan Clark is better vs the run, and against big TE’s, though he is nowhere near as good as Thomas in coverage.

Eric Weddle is also better at in the box play, IMO. Other names of guys you could make an argument for being better at run support/in the box play include Eric Berry, Kenny Phillips (when healthy–and thats almost never!), Dashon Goldson, Kerry Rhodes, Danieal Manning, Nate Allen, etc. Thomas Decoud of ATL is a fine FS, and Devin McCourty of the Pats is a pretty fine player rapidly ascending as well.

Thomas gets swallowed up by blockers, and has been trucked more than a couple times by backs, and has taken the wrong angle etc in the box. He’s not the best at that, IMO. However, as an overall athlete and football player, there isnt a single FS I’d trade him for, not even Eric Berry.

Earl Thomas is the man, I think we can all agree on that. But claiming he’s the best FS in the box is like saying Rice is the best big-play WR in the NFL, or that Darrel Jackson was…just not true.

22. Ed Reed WAS a fine run-support FS, but he’s lost a step and is too old now. He’s best at playing deep zone now, and no longer the field-crossing animal he once was.

For a smaller safety I really don’t want to see Thomas hitting like Kam does.
    I want him around and healthy for a long time, not injured a lot like Bob Sanders.

24. sluggo42 says:

Earl is a specialty player, his role isn’t to be a run crusher. That is Kams role.
    Who is better at free range?
    Nobody.
    Who is better and more feared at run support than Kam?
    Not many

Pc/js have assembled a very specific machine of specialized parts. Everyone on this team is that way.

New toys to watch, for me, Winfield, Williams, Willson are the most interesting to me.
    I think Winfield will be quite impressive as a run support db, sort of an extra ET on the field at the same time.
    Will Williams bring the Vince wolfork pocket crashing presence?
    Will Luke bring matchup nightmares due to his speed?

Do other teams have fans as diehard as us?

And then we have some very good backup DBs. Several could start for other teams imo.
    How did they get so filthy rich so soon?

26. 131.76 decibles in Turkey was it just fan noise or those vulvusa horn things making noise? Horns or other noise making equipment would make it difficult to beat.
    I was at the Beast Quake game and it was as loud as I can remember at a game.
    I’ll be there as usual in the attempt to break the record and the Whiners

27. I still find it hard to believe that this admin drafted two of my favorite college players of all-time; Golden Tate and Earl Thomas. That NEVER happened before. And while I was often wrong (I desperately wanted Seattle to get Raghib Rocket Ismail), I was more often right, and watching Seattle pass on guys I loved who turned out to be studs, while drafting lesser players drove me nuts (Im talking about you, Numbskull, and the Flores FO, not to mention Holmgren and Patera’s FO).

Now to win at least one SB.

28. Heh, but that reminds me how PISSED I was when it was rumored Seattle was interested in Brian Orakpo. We’d already spent a high pick on LoJack, Darryl Tapp, and several other DE’s, and I didnt want to see another LB/DE with the top pick. Uh, hindsight pretty quickly showed we would have done great to get Orakpo.

Yup, many examples of why Im not an NFL personnel man come to mind…lol!

29. On DB’s, Im pretty sure Thurmond and Lane could start for half the teams in the league, easy. Winston Guy, Byron Maxwell, and the rest of the backups seem to have the talent, if no the skill/experience, as well.

LOADED.

The only pressure I see with regards to Wilson this year is the pressure Wilson, Harvin, Lynch and the rest put on opposing defensives.

31. SandpointHawk says:

131.76 decibels? Wow loader than a jumbo jet taking off, almost as load as a gunshot. Yep Vuvuzela Horns are rated at 127d and can go up to 131d.

For you going to that game you might think about adding these to you game day attire…

Or you can get your own horn for only $4.00…

32. Colin Kaepernick and Vernon Davis both in ESPN Magazine’s 2013 Body Issue.

A couple of observations:

Damn, Kaep is ripped! That guy’s no stranger to the weight room and not at any risk of becoming the next Jamarcus Russell.

Who the hell is Courtney Force? I might have to start watching NHRA. Not that I consider NHRA – or any other type car racing for that matter – a sport. Calling auto racing a sport is like calling astrology a science or vampirism a religion (no offense if any of you are astrologists or teenage girls).

33. From where I’m at, I think ET is one of the better tackling FSs I’ve seen. He may not blow people away like Kam, but a tackle is a tackle and a guy who can fly like ET can get to more ball carriers too.

Did people say Greg Maddux wasn’t good enough because he wasn’t a power pitcher like Randy Johnson? Either way – if you get the job done, that’s all that matters.

Every once in a blue moon he’ll bounce off a guy, but not even factoring his size – he’s just as sure of a tackler as the bigger safeties (who can’t carry his jock with respect to coverage skills).

If we want to look at his measurements to determine if he’s a good tackler or not, then we should look at a 5’8 CB that weights only 180lbs and talk about what a liability he must be at tackling (Antoine Winfield).

34. Bobbyk–ET’s overall tackling is not the issue I was arguing about. I was stating my opinion on his run-stuffing ability (or lack of it), and his overall performance “in the box”, which in my opinion, he is not the best at, as he is limited by his size.

As for tackling WR’s in the open field, Thomas is awesome.

As I said, he’s my top FS overall, just not the top FS “in the box” or in run-support.

35. No one is saying Thomas isnt good enough, certainly not me. And Winfield is a freak of nature–he’s actually a better tackler and better in run support than Thomas, IMO.

36. OrrObb–Racing is a sport, and those folks ARE athletes. It takes tremendous stamina and strength–not brute strength, but endurance–to race nascar, indycar, and especially Formula One. Temps in cars can exceed 120 degrees for hours, and in Formula One, the driver must be narrow shouldered and thin enough to fit into that tiny tub; also, it takes a tremendous athlete to steer those cars, as they dont have power steering like normal cars, it requires a lot of manhandling to make those puppies turn.

Drivers take a real beating and must be in supreme shape to have a chance at competing for hours at the highest levels.

I used to think it was a joke that Golf was considered a sport, until I tried playing 9 holes in 100 degree heat. I sucked, and I havent been that pooped since HS football 2-a-days.

You dont believe me, watch the documentary “Senna”, about the greatest race car driver of all time (and the last Formula One driver to die), Ayrton Senna. It starts slow, but its worth it. You will end up caring about that guy by the end of the movie, I guarantee it. And admit he was an athlete.

Sandpoint – NO! No juicing. We’re going to set the record the old fashioned way: voices and hands.

38. I have no doubt that NASCAR, Indy Car, F1, etc. drivers need to be very fit and have great stamina, reflexes, and concentration (although, from what minimal exposure I’ve had to NHRA, I’m not sure that applies to them). But it comes down to the cars that do the real work. It is a competition, yes, but a competition to determine who has the best machine. The machine provides the energy. The machine determines the top speed. Sure, the driver has to operate that machine better than their rival, but it is not the pure head-to-head, man-to-man, physical competition that, in my mind, defines sport.

39. bbnate420 says:

New Fresh Files.

131 dB is ridiculously loud. Louder than a rock concert. It would be impressive to beat that. Obviously distance makes a huge difference in dB level. A jet engine is 140 dB from 100 feet away. A 12 gauge shotgun blast can be 165 dB. And people misunderstand the decibel scale a lot. Something that is 10 dB louder than something else with usually be perceived as twice as loud by human ears. This video suggests that stadiums have been louder than 131.76 dB. I don’t know if it’s accurate or not. It could be and not be recognized by Guinness. I believe they don’t recognize something if they don’t record it or can’t confirm it.

40. bbnate420 says:

I’d say that Dashon Goldson is probably a better run stuffing FS, although Beast Mode may disagree, but I wouldn’t necessarily say that about any of the rest of them. It’s a complicated thing to judge.

41. I always thought Dashon was overrated. Seahawks definitely beat up on him a fair share in the past few years. I hate to say it, but I think the 49ers upgraded their free safety position by drafting Eric Reid. He could turn out to be a real stud against pass and run.

42. bbnate–I agree, its a complicated thing to judge. Im sure it can be, and I admit I didnt look up the crazy stats websites that analyze this sort of thing. These are just guys who should be in the conversation, IMO.

Goldson also made some pretty good plays against us too, Stevos. But the new guy should be a stud by next year.

43. bbnate420 says:

Stevos, thanks for posting that interview. Oh, and don’t hate on former Huskies.

44. montanamike2 says:

STTBM i have a hard time taking golf serious as a sport. I tried it once and it was a lesson in futility, every time the ball was lined up with the hole and it would get close and then the windmill blade would knock the ball out of the way again! After that i’ll never pick up another golf club as long as i live. I’m sure it’s fun, just not for me.

Golf can be a very dangerous sport. When I lived at Lake Arrowhead in Ga, We had two deaths and one critically injured just in one year of golfing.
    Steep grades, Golf carts, old farts and beer don’t always mix well.

Sounds like a country music song. Lol.

3rd is not too bad in itself. I think we will be fine again this year. Especially with the box of hammers, ( “says klm008 ) that we drafted.

My only disappointment is not seeing Washington get the kickoff return record in a Seahawk uniform.
    Washington, another Seahawk player I was wrong about.

47. montanamike2 says:

Ever since they changed the kickoff spot Washington hasn’t been able to get a running start.

48. montanamike2–Ive tried golfing twice, not counting minigolf. Its harder than it looks.

Seattle wanted to re-sign Washington, but not for what he could earn elsewhere. With the new rules, and the addition of Harvin, Washington was no longer worth his salary to Seattle. Sad, but true. I hope he kicks butt in NE.

49. sluggo42 says:

Golf is a sport guys, whether you like it or not. Just because they don’t hit each other doesn’t disqualify it. Is baseball a sport?, you’re hitting a ball with a stick.
    How many of you are scratch h golfers? None? Exactly, it ain’t easy.
    There are ten million hackers, just like there are ten million softball players.
    Everyone can hack away, but a very few can put the ball right where they want to, even the pros mess up often. It’s hard to score well…

Im biased here, but as someone who was a PGA member for 12 years I can say with certainty that golf is a sport. What we do on the weekends and what the men do on TV is as different as those who ride bikes and the Tour de France. Any athletic endeavor performed at that level is a sport in my book.

51. I agree Dukeshire.

For all us middle aged old folks, remember the episode of The beverly Hillbillies where Jed & Jethro was invited to play some Golf? And they brought there shot guns so they could get birdies & Eagles. Lol.

53. montanamike2 says:

Yes guys i was just kidding about the mini golf, homemade jokes are not gonna hit every time. My Vulcan like attempts at humor are pretty sad sometimes, kind of like living through the off-season with your fingers crossed we don’t have any instances with the law. How long until training camp?

Our Day Will Come
    Ruby & The Romantics

“Our day will come”
    “And we’ll have a Super Bowl ring.”
    “We’ll share the joy”
    “That winning it all can bring.”

“No one can tell me”
    “That we’re too young to know”
    “It’s time to show”
    “And our day will come.”

“Our day will come”
    “If we just wait a while.”
    “No tears for us”
    “Think Wilson and wear a smile.”

“Our dreams have magic”
    “Because we’ll always stay”
    “the 12th man way”
    “Our day will come”
    “Our day will come”
    ” our day will come”

According to nate our day will come this season. Go Hawks!!!

55. From George Carlin’s book Napalm and Silly Putty (if you are offended by language, skip this post):

To my way of thinking there are really only three sports: baseball, basketball, and football. Everything else is either a game or an activity.

Hockey comes to mind. People think hockey is a sport. It’s not. Hockey is three activities taking place at the same time: ice skating, fooling around with a puck, and beating the sh*t out of somebody. If these guys had more brains then teeth, they’d do these things one at a time. First go ice-skating, then fool around with a puck, then you go to the bar and beat the sh*t out of somebody. The day would last longer, and these guys would have a lot more fun. Another reason why hockey isn’t a sport is that it’s not played with a ball. Anything not played with a ball can’t be a sport. These are my rules, I make ‘em up.

Soccer. Soccer is not a sport because you can’t use your arms. Anything where you can’t use your arms can’t be a sport. Tap dancing isn’t a sport. I rest my case.

Running. People think running is a sport. Running isn’t a sport because anybody can do it. I can run, you can run. For Christ sakes, my mother can run! You don’t see her on the cover of Sports Illustrated, do you?

Swimming. Swimming isn’t a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense.

Sailing isn’t a sport. Sailing is a way to get somewhere. Riding the bus isn’t a sport, why the f*ck should sailing be a sport?

Boxing is not a sport either. Boxing is a way to beat the sh*t out of somebody. In that respect, boxing is actually a more sophisticated way of hockey. In spite of what the police tell you, beating the sh*t out of somebody is not a sport. When police brutality becomes an Olympic event, fine, then boxing can be a sport.

Bowling. Bowling isn’t a sport because you have to rent shoes. Don’t forget, these are my rules. I make ‘em up.

Billiards. Some people think billiards is a sport, but it can’t be, because there’s no chance of serious injury. Unless, of course, you welch on a bet in a tough neighborhood. Then, if you wind up with a pool cue stickin’ out of your ass, you know you might be the victim of a sports-related injury. But that ain’t billiards, that’s pool, and that starts with a P, and that rhymes with D, and that brings me to darts.

Darts could have been a sport, because at least there’s a chance to put someone’s eye out. But, alas, darts will never be a sport, because the whole object of the game is to reach zero, which goes against all sports logic.

Lacrosse is not a sport; lacrosse is a faggoty college activity. I don’t care how rough it is, anytime you’re running around a field, waving a stick with a little net on the end of it, you’re engaged in a faggoty college activity. Period.

Field hockey and fencing. Same thing. Faggoty college sh*t. Also these activities aren’t sports, because you can’t gamble on them. Anything you can’t gamble on can’t be a sport. When was the last time you made a f*ckin’ fencing bet?

Gymnastics is not a sport because Romanians are good at it. It took me a long time to come up with that rule, but goddammit, I did it.

Polo isn’t a sport. Polo is golf on horseback. Without holes. It’s a great concept, but not a sport. And as far as water polo is concerned, I hesitate to even mention it, because it’s extremely cruel to horses.

Which brings me to hunting. You think hunting is a sport? Ask the deer. The only good thing about hunting is the many fatal accidents on the weekends. And, of course, the permanently disfigured hunters who survive such accidents.

Then you have tennis. Tennis is very trendy and very fruity, but it’s not a sport. It’s just a way to meet other trendy fruits. Technically, tennis is an advanced form a Ping-Pong. In fact, tennis is Ping-Pong played while standing on the table. Great concept, not a sport.

In fact, all racket games are nothing more the derivatives of Ping-Pong. Even volleyball is, technically, racketless, team Ping-Pong played with an inflated ball and raised net while standing on the table.

And finally welcome to golf. For my full take on golf, I refer you elsewhere in the book, but let it just be said golf is a game that might possibly be fun, if it could be played alone. But it’s the vacuous, striving, superficial, male-bonding joiners one has to associate with that makes it such a repulsive pastime. And it is decidedly not a sport. Period.

OrrObb – Say What?

OK, I get it. From the late George Carlin.

58. montanamike2 says:

I like ping pong. It’s from George Carlin.

BTW- nate makes up his facts on the fly.

Before you respond I was playing bait the nate. Lol. Just messing around.

Jesus Christ, that was hilarious. I’m so miss George Carlin in much the same way I miss Hunter Thompson: Brilliant minds. Wordsmiths. And just beautifully angry. Thanks for posting that, OrrObb.

BTW, his take on golf there reminds me exactly of what my father said about it: I love golf, but I hate golfers. Amen to that. Lol

One of my favorite George Carlin clips-

64. When the going gets strange, the weird turn pro!

65. yankinta says:

I’ve been watching JAW’s QB Ranking on ESPN and based on what I’ve heard from him regarding RW last year, I am beginning to think that RW will be ranked in the TOP 10 and will be ranked higher than Luck, RGIII or CK. Anyone agree??

At least that the way they should be ranked since RW is much better than those 3 other young QB’s, imo.

66. sluggo42 says:

Duke,

You mentioned 12 years with the PGA. What capacity did you fill with them? Did you play? Or in the brain trust? Or club fitting?
    Just curious as I’m a semi-serious old fart at the game.

67. SandpointHawk says:

Remember Bill Murray in Caddyshack?

(Sorry Duke, but I couldn’t help myself)

68. raymaines says:

I’m on the total other end of this argument from George Carlin, beside the facts that I’m neither a genus nor funny. I think if you sweat and there’s a winner and a loser it’s a sport and if you participate in a sport you’re an athlete. There’s a little gray area when the winners and losers are subjectively judged, like in gymnastics for example, but that’s my basic concept.

69. Stevos, thanks for posting that interview with Darren Woodson. It gets me amped up to see the Legion of Boom shut somebody down right now.

OrrObb, great stuff from one of the best comedians and philosophers of all time.

Yank, I don’t know if RW will be much better than Luck, he had a better season than him last year. The more I watch film of Luck, he may be the best pure passer out of the Fantastic Four. But RW has the scrambling element which makes him dangerous. I see him #1 or #2 out of the Fantastic Four, since he is farther along than CK developmentally, and RGIII is coming off a serious injury.

70. yankinta says:

CCVI, I watched all of Luck’s games in his final season at Stanford. He’s will not be better than RW. He may throw for more yards than RW but only because of the system he’s in and RW is in run first system.

RW’s Passer rating, QBR, wins, TDs, all the stats that really matters will be WAYY better than Luck’s. You’ll agree with me soon. :)

71. bbnate420 says:

raymaines, so by that logic poker is a sport.

72. MrSinister says:

Duke is Fred Couples

sluggo42 – Club pro: Lessons, club fitting / repair, organized tournaments, etc… I played a bit in some sectional events and did okay here and there.

SandpointHawk – We have a pool and a pond. Pond would be good for you.

MrSinister – I’ve actually met Fred. He’s as chill in person as he appears to be.

74. Nice Duke! I frequent the 70’s, but in the low 80’s a lot. Not too bad for 3 years of playing.