Morning links: Hawks No. 4 on list of NFL playmakers

Post by Eric Williams on July 6, 2013 at 8:20 am with 68 Comments »
July 6, 2013 8:23 am
Seattle Seahawks' Marshawn Lynch (24) runs past Korey Toomer during NFL football minicamp Tuesday, June 11, 2013, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
Seattle Seahawks’ Marshawn Lynch (24) runs past Korey Toomer during NFL football minicamp Tuesday, June 11, 2013, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

Jason Lisk of Big Lead Sports ranks Seattle’s playmakers on offense No. 4 in the NFL. Atlanta, with Julio Jones, Roddy White, Tony Gonzalez and Steven Jackson, tops the list, followed by Denver, Green Bay, Seattle and New Orleans rounding out the top five.

The list takes a look at the best combination of two receivers, a tight end and running back.

In my opinion, Seattle should be ranked ahead of Green Bay because the Seahawks running backs group is much better than the Packers. But overall, there’s no denying Seattle has one of the most explosive set of playmakers in the league.

Lisk: “The addition of Harvin to go along with Lynch has the makings of an explosive offense. Zach Miller is a tough tight end, and the depth at running back is among the best in the league.”

Seattle defensive tackle Jesse Williams is taking the Walter Jones’ approach to his offseason conditioning program, as you can see from the picture above.

Golden Tate tells Sirius XM Blitz that he believes the Seahawks can be really special this season in this audio link. Tate also said he’s not concerned about being in a contract year.

ESPN’s Mark Schlereth and Cris Carter say the Seattle Seahawks’ biggest weakness is their lack of sacks and overall maturity in the video below.

ESPN’s John Clayton says that Percy Harvin will gain more all-purpose yards than Marshawn Lynch in this audio link.

John Breech of CBS Sports ranks the NFC West as the best division in football.

San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick caught some flak recently from 49ers fan for wearing a Miami Dolphins hat, pictured above. And he defiantly said on Instagram that he’ll continue to wear whatever he wants.

Umm, okay. But you better keep winning games bro, if you want to disrespect the organization and fan base that are paying your salary by wearing another team’s hat. I suggest coordinating your outfit with another aqua blue hat.

Tony Villiotti of Draft Metrics shows that according to his data that returning starters for the Seahawks give them one of the most experienced teams in the league.

Brian McIntyre of Yahoo Sports previews Gus Bradley’s Jacksonville Jaguars, Yahoo’s No. 31-ranked team.

Morning links

What are the chances we ever see Wilson wearing say, a Bills lid? Stay classy, Kap.

And I agree that the Packers are a bit overrated on offense. They’ve taken some real hits on tjat side of the ball recently.

2. The only other pro team’s hat he could get away with is the home team’s baseball cap. I’ve seen Kap in a goofy Milwaukee Brewers’ lid a few times, also. It’s a foolish move because he is going out of his way to have his loyalty questioned. You can believe that if/when he becomes a free agent he will make SF fans nervous thinking back to these actions.

That kind of immature, prima donna, diva-like attitude shows his real character and spells trouble for the Niners when they face some adversity. Good luck when you can’t hear the play calls through your headset again at the CLink!

3. raymaines says:

Seattle passed over Kaepernick in the 2011 draft and took James Carpenter instead. I was annoyed at the time, but things have turned out OK for the Seahawks. Carpenter and Russell Wilson have each started more games and probably own fewer baseball caps than CK. I can’t go so far as to say CK is a punk or anything like that, but he really isn’t as mature or “all in” as RW.

4. princeaden says:

I agree that a part of the Seahawks success will be a result of their collective maturity. No stupid penalties and the ability to act like they’ve been there before when something good happens (TD’s, Int’s TO’S ETC.) Most people of this generation don’t see it this way, but oldtimers like me like to see a grain of humility with their great teams. Class and confidence has been replaced by brash and in your face.

5. vichawkfan says:

off topic, but I re-watched the 2005 NFC Championship game last night and I think I finallly realized what went down with Hutchinson signing the p-pill offer that offseason. I think the Alexander ego and the front office awarding him that contract before they negotiated with Hutch pushed him away from the Hawks. Watch the post game celebrations….Hutch standing there watching Bradshaw interview SA on the podium….paraphrase: “SA – what’s it like to run behind that amazing o-line?” SA: “I think the team did great, the defense stepped up, special teams….” There’s Hutch on the field looking up with his hands grasping his pads below his chin, not smiling at all. Then as SA does his stadium run around he’s trotting right by Hutch and Hutch sticks his hands out like – hey, do you mind if I hold it…..SA looks at him and without a word, blows by him and keeps running right into the locker room. Even Hasselbeck looked disgusted. Watching that game again illuminated the massive running holes that o-line created, and there’s plenty of RBs that could have been MVP’s that year behind it….especially one’s that didn’t turtle 10 yrds behind the line when pressure was coming. SA if you’re reading this….you’re not on my Mt.Rushmore – not even close.
    ok, my rant is done. I had to get that off my chest.
    Happy weekend all.

6. princeaden says:

Nice post vichawkfan. I remember Hutch looking at Alexander in disgust as he did his celebrations alone after TD’s. Not even close to my Mt. Rushmore either.

7. sluggo42 says:

Thanks ray

8. I really don’t see how GB and Denver are higher on that list. Our WR are compatible and our RB are FAR superior than either of those teams. Makes no sense to me. Now Jackson to ATL is a real good addition for them. If they have any injuries they might be in trouble – due to age/experience behind the top guys.

Gonna be a fun season

9. edstang45 says:

You guys may not like it but for some unknown reason I have regained the ability to comment here. It just quit working on my computer just after the season, been able to comment from phone but not on explorer, oh well. Hope it stays working for game time chats.

So I’ll comment on Kap, I kinda like the bulls..t anything to bring some dissent in SF , I like that he sounds like a bonehead, Now hopefully Gore, Willis will do something stupid too

10. edstang45 says:

Nice reads Raymaines thanks

Not only would I not put sorry ass,(stab me in the back) Soft the greatless Alexander on MT Rushmore, I would replace him first with Easley, and that’s an easy choice! Next I would replace this tird with the player we should have kept, Hutch!

Hell, I wouldn’t even put this Jack wagon on stone Mountain in Georgia. Gutzon Borglums first big mountain sculpture project.

12. SandpointHawk says:

Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis & Shaun Alexander, yep I’d put that on my bucket list GeorgiaHawk…. :)

Imagine if Walter Peyton, or Barry Sanders had Hutch and Jones to run behind?
    Hell BobbyK could have run for 1,000 yards behind these two hall of famers.
    Damitt! vichawkfan, you got me riled up.

14. vichawkfan says:

I was stunned after pulling out that game last night. Just watching the team afterwards celebrating and how SA was basically all by himself — with the goddamn trophy and not letting Hutch who was standing by himself on the field and SA running up to him, then past him when Hutch held out his hands to assume the guy was passing it to him. Total scmuck move. Guy was the biggest ME ME player we’ve ever had, after Boz. Sorry GeorgiaHawk.

vichawkfan- That’s ok.
    We now have a better team overall and forsure a better RB. We don’t have Hutch and Jones, but we have just about everything else to make a legit run.

Go Hawks!

All I can say is I can’t wait for week two when Kam and crew will do some adjusting on crappyneck.

SandpointHawk- I think the best place to put Alexanders face is on the Beach somewhere so the tide can wash it away the next day.

Ill never forget when Deon Sanders called Alexander the “tip-toe burgler”. I don’t know what that means exactly, but it’s not a compliment, of that Im sure. Moreover, that was the first time I had an inclination the rest of the league didn’t respect him.

19. bbnate420 says:

J. Williams is a beast.

I would think that by calling SA the “tiptoe burglar” that he meant he ran the ball like a b^&*h.

I used to think it was BS when Lebron would get flak for wearing a Yankees hat, but wearing the hat of a different team in the same sport you play is just stupid. Wear it at home if you really want to. Hopefully he makes equally stupid decisions on the field in the future. As if Harbarf and Chris “Sweet Stuff” Culliver weren’t reason enough to hate the Whiners.

20. sluggo42 says:

I hope you are right Nate, it would be great to have a Vince wolfork presence in the middle of the line taking up 2 or more blockers to free up the QB killers.

Can any of you imagine RW wearing another lid? Not even, never, not a snowball chance in my back yard. Wouldn’t ever happen, wouldn’t even cross the guys mind. But would wear a Wisconsin lid, and that’s cool.

Espinoza claims our weakness is immaturity, and tony villiotti says we have one of the most experienced teams in the league… Huh,…. Who to believe?

21. montanamike2 says:

They can have all the talent in the world, but they don’t have what we have, chemistry. Mojo. I can see where every team has it’s strengths and weaknesses but in my heart i hope they implode and don’t make the playoffs. Last i heard it’s not conducive to chemistry when one of your players is MR. hollywood and another smashes a bottle over his own teammates head before punching him in the face. Then add an assh#le coach.

22. Real Seahawk fans know Easley should be on there. Or at least the ones old enough to have seen him play.

23. My Mt. Rushmore would have 5 Hawks. Just can’t do 4. Largent, Easley, Tez, Jones and Wilson.

In an Alexander vs. Lynch match up I just look at how often Lynch loses yards and it’s next to never. He’s a battering ram when there is no hole compared to SA’s ballerina act. I love Lynch.

In 2005 the O-line made the QB & RB look good.
    In 2012 the QB & RB made the O-Line look good.

24. wabubba67 says:

What’s the problem? The Dolphins colors match his underwear.

Hard to imagine Russell Wilson rolling around shirtless and low riding around downtown Seattle. Glad that we have a QB with class and maturity.

25. montanamike2 says:

I’m with you wabubba67, and i’d take Lynch over SA any day.

26. Don’t know why there’s so much Shaun Alexander bashing on here. He was an NFL MVP. I wouldn’t put him on the Seahawks’ Mount Rushmore either, but I wouldn’t bash him either. He’s one of the Top Ten Seahawks of all-time. And he’s well-ahead of Hutchinson in my book.

Canfan- Hutchinson is one of the top 5 Guards to ever play in the NFL. A certain HOFer.

Alexander was good but he never would have put up MVP numbers without the greatest left O-line side in NFL history. Also Strong helped him much.
    He’s not even top 20 of all time Seahawks in my book, and he is not well ahead of Hutch. Hutch, (like Jones) will forsure be in the hall of fame long before Alexander ever has a chance to.

You will never see an article saying that Alexander is top 5, or 10, or even 20, 30, or 40 best RBs of all time.

However You will see Hutch’s name in the top 10 in just about any article about Guards.

29. vichawkfan says:

didn’t intend to get SA bashing going, but if any of you have a copy of game on DVD, watch the post game. It’s quite a show…oh, and tonight I’ll watch the previous game vs the Skins when he went out after getting hammered a couple times really bad – then glancing blow and he’s dead on the field. I have the whole season on DVD – going backwards to see how the team peaked and comparisons to this team. So far, I don’t see much similarities at all….other than the winning.

30. bbnate420 says:

I wouldn’t put SA on Mount Hawkmore, but I think he surely gets more spit than he deserves. He had 5 great years and the o-line wasn’t great every one of those years. Is he better than Lynch? No, not IMO. Is he one of the top 20 RBs of all time? No, not IMO. But he is one of the best players in Hawks’ history. I’ll ask it again, does anyone here think they make the SB in 2005 with Morris carrying the rock instead of SA?

31. bbnate420 says:

Sluggo, I was referring to him flipping that giant tire, but I think he will be a beast versus the run. The only question to me is if the knees hold up.

32. princeaden says:

OK Bobbyk, Kenny Easley was the Man !!

33. When I say that Shaun is “well-ahead of Hutchinson in my book,” I mean as a Seahawk, not as a football player. Obviously Hutch has a better chance at the HOF and will probably get in. Shaun probably won’t. But as a Seahawk fan, I have more respect for Shaun than Hutch.

Nate, agree with you totally.

34. Sarcasticus says:

Williams needs to work on his lower half. He can bench press 600 pounds (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/07/tide_dl_jesse_williams_stirs_u.html) and you can see all that power in his chest even with pads on. What he needs is to get in the weight room and develop the lower half. If he can learn to anchor while double-teamed and moving towards the sidelines, he is going to be awesome. I don’t expect him to be getting many sacks, but he will create a wall. Also, the guy does not take plays off. Now, if only the ‘Hawks can get CJ Mosely next year!

35. Sarcasticus says:

I believe a “tip-toe burglar” meant that he would try and sneak by a defense. As far as all the SA bashing, give it a rest. He broke all kinds of records at Alabama and with the Seahawks, not just Seahawks records but NFL records. He had nothing but great blocking on every play for all those years? Show some understanding of the game, please. He was not a powerback. He took too many negative runs for my taste, but he hit many homeruns as well. I think he had some great seasons, but wouldn’t consider him one of my top backs of all time. He was what he was: an NFL caliber back who had good but not great speed. He read blocks well and had good explosion through the hole. He was definitely of the mindset that you get what you can get and then save your body. That is the part that did not sit well with most fans (including myself), but it does not take away from his overall accomplishments. It just does not elevate him in my mind to greatness.

As far as the whole SF QB thing, I think it shows a lack of class on his part. However, to bemoan his lack of class while at the same time displaying a lack of class (hoping bad things happen to him or his teammates, making oh-so-creative spellings of his name) sullies this board.

36. montanamike2 says:

I don’t want anything bad to happen to him, i just hope the 49’rs don’t make the playoffs. I think it may be ok to wear a cap of another team that’s not in your sport, but wearing another teams NFL cap shows a lack of respect. I still think lowly of Harbaugh though.

37. montanamike2 says:

Georgia that GIF of superman booting that guy in the nuts is hilarious.

38. montanamike2 says:

It would be great to have Superman do FG’s for us at the 80 yard line.

Should be some good battles this year. I hope they keep both Robinson and Ware.

40. Well said, Sarcasticus. Both regarding SA and Kaep. The elementary school name calling on this board is one of my least favorite things.

I agree with the NFL Live analysis. We have GOT to improve our pass rush. 28 sacks in 15 games? With OUR secondary? Unacceptable. I do agree with the “immature” label. Breno’s constant unsportsman penalties. All the PED suspensions. And I’ve never been a fan of trash talk. Be excited. Be proud of your play. But let it speak for itself. I’m glad we have Sherm. and he is who he is but his mouth gets on my nerves. My all time favorite TD celebration was Walter Payton’s. You old-schoolers know what I mean.

41. vichawkfan says:

I said SA was a lousy teammate. Follow Twitter and those old Hawks. Lots of comraderie among them with one exclusion.

42. vichawkfan, you also said this: “Watching that game again illuminated the massive running holes that o-line created, and there’s plenty of RBs that could have been MVP’s that year behind it…”

If you had said a “handful of RBs,” I might have agreed. For a five-year span, Shaun was a Top Five RB in the league. Only Jones and Hutch could have made a similar claim. Hass was Top Five for two or three years, perhaps. The current roster, fortunately, has several players who will be able to make that claim, hopefully.

43. vichawkfan says:

well Canfan – my opinion only, but SA didn’t create much out of nothing. Watch that year’s tape and you see a RB that gets 3 yards on a sweep before he starts running into the backsides of his o-line. He got a lot of TD’s from inside the 5 as well. I respect the stats he put up for sure – but his lack of appreciation in the situation he was in with all pro o-lineman was astonishing….especially after the greatest game in Hawks history to date.

44. sluggo42 says:

Shawna was soft, deal with it. I could only imagine lynch or gore, or sanders running behind that line. That’s the problem, he WAS a gifted runner, if he had a sac he would have owned the league.

Harbarf is a punk, just like the neck. They deserve each other…

Do you think Sherm will get as much national media news for doing things like this?

46. OregonHawk says:

Walter Payton’s last TD was against the ‘Hawks

47. SandpointHawk says:

If the Rams move to London or play half their home gamed in London they need to move them into the NFC East…You think the miles we log for road games is bad now?

48. bbnate420 says:

I can’t imagine the owners allowing a team to move to London. Unless they’re going to revive the Concorde, it doesn’t work.

SA was what he was. And by the numbers it’s the best RB in Hawks’ history. He’ll never have anyone confuse him for Earl Campbell or Jim Brown. I believe Lynch will surpass him if healthy for a few more years. He had great vision/ability to read blocks, good explosion through the hole/10 yard speed, excellent balance, and a great nose for the end zone. He does seem like he was a bit of a narcissistic d-bag, but he’s hardly the only one in Hawks’ history. He doesn’t stick his fingers in the eyes of the organization 6+ years later with stupid Twitter handles like certain Sasquatch reminiscent former OGs.

49. bbnate420 says:

You could make a case for Curt Warner. I didn’t see him play personally. I wouldn’t make the case for him. SA had more good years and his numbers are far superior. Warner certainly may have been if not for the injuries.

50. If the Rams move out of StL I would guess that LA would be the destination.

If you watched the Sonics in the past I would compare Shaun Alexander to Vin Baker as opposed to Lynch as Kemp. Both were undoubtedly all-stars. As a friend commented, Kemp was the best at going hard to the hole & Vin was the best at going weak to the hole.

51. bbnate420 says:

Galena, that Baker/Kemp to Lynch/SA comparison is excellent. Hopefully, Marshawn doesn’t stuff his pie hole like Kemp did later in his career.

Kemp was far superior to Baker who indeed stuffed his pie hole very shortly after becoming a Sonic.

53. how many hours until camp starts?

Speaking of camp . . . . Eric as we get closer could you give us a run down of what the daily routine of a player goes through during camp. is it different for rookies vs veterns?? When are they on the field – what kind of meetings – lifing? etc.

I saw them all, and I would take Lynch and Warner over Alexander. Alexander was a one trick pony, however he was very good at that one trick.
    He also had the perfect storm for a RB. 1-The greatest left side in NFL history.2- A probowl FB.3- A good QB that could keep the defense honest and make them pay if they stack the box. And most importantly 4- Perhaps one of the worst if not the worst divisions in NFL history to help pad his numbers.

Was he good? Yes! Was he great No! I would say a lot closer to good than great.
    Also remember that same year in 2005 Tomlinson, Johnson, Barber, and James put up almost equally good numbers on teams that didn’t have that perfect storm.

56. bbnate420 says:

Georgia, I would definitely take Lynch over SA, but I was just saying that Lynch hasn’t had the career with the Hawks that SA had yet. A few more years and he will. His 1,590 yards last year are more impressive than the 1,800+ that SA put up in 2005 IMO. Lynch has only had approx. 2 2/3 years here so far. He had no off-season with the Hawks in 2010 and ran behind a terrible o-line. He ran behind a terrible o-line the first half or so of 2011 too. He will be the best Hawks RB when he leaves barring major injury.

Georgia, James and Tomlinson had significantly worse numbers than SA in 2005. Tomlinson had very similar numbers to them in 2006. Also, James and Tomlinson are likely HOF players. Tomlinson definitely. Johnson and Barber had very similar numbers. Barber is also a borderline HOF player. He has SA beat in rushing yards, yards an attempt, and has him smoked in receiving yards. The only area he lags in is TDs.

Nate- I was talking about total yards from scrimmage. Just look at Johnsons total yards when you add that up.

That’s partly why I call Alexander a one trick pony. He had a pathetic 15 receptions that year, about one per game.
    And he couldn’t block worth a damn either.

That’s why I feel so bad for Hasselbeck. Most his WRs couldn’t catch consistently. His TE couldn’t catch consistently. and his RB & FB couldn’t catch much at all. Imagine if hasselbeck had back then the weapons Wilson has now?

58. JZombie says:

Yeah, seems like we’ve only occasionally brought out the torches and pitchforks here. The rest of you don’t seem like the beheading type.

59. montanamike2 says:

I feel bad for Matt Hass. Hopefully when he retires he can hoist the 12th man flag one day. If Matt had this team back then instead of making the most with what he had, we would be dominate.

60. LeePHilI says:

Matt took us to the Super Bowl. Unfortunately he met the Pittsburg Stealers (correct spelling), the refs and the NFL’s desire to make “The Bus” retirement a storyline.

Russ Wilson should hand the game ball to Matt when he wins…just because. Russ is classy enough to do it, too.

61. HeinieHunter says:

I’m sorry to see ShawnAlexander ripped so often. I don’t think he was Seattle best running back but c’mon how can you ignore the numbers he put up? I saw Curt Warner play his whole career and had he run behind the offensive line that Alexander had…. They’d still be counting the numbers. Warner did a lot on his own.