Hawks’ offense fueled by experienced playmakers

Post by Eric Williams on June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am with 67 Comments »
June 25, 2013 10:58 am
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson in action during an NFL football minicamp Wednesday, June 12, 2013, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

As a rookie during the Seattle Seahawks offseason program, Russell Wilson was immersed in a three-way battle for the quarterback job, relegated to splitting reps three ways with the first-unit offense.

The limited reps for Wilson hindered his ability to develop chemistry with the first unit, which played a role in the team’s slow start offensively.

The Seahawks averaged 17.2 points a contest through the first five games. But once Pete Carroll loosens the reins, Wilson led Seattle’s offense to 29.6 points a contest for the final 11 games of the regular season.

Wilson’s inconsistent play during the first month of 2012 is distant memory as the Seahawks completed the team’s offseason program two weeks ago. With all 11 starters from last season still in the fold, Seattle’s offense is ahead of the curve heading into the 2013 season.

n this Nov. 11, 2012, file photo, Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, right, looks at a playbook with offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, left, on the sidelines during the first half of an NFL football game against the New York Jets in Seattle. Even though Wilson will play his first playoff game Sunday at Washington, Bevell expects more of the same poise he's seen out of his QB all season. (AP Photo/Stephen Brashear, File)
n this Nov. 11, 2012, file photo, Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, right, looks at a playbook with offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, left, on the sidelines during the first half of an NFL football game against the New York Jets in Seattle. Even though Wilson will play his first playoff game Sunday at Washington, Bevell expects more of the same poise he’s seen out of his QB all season. (AP Photo/Stephen Brashear, File)

“The playbook is so much more extensive from this point last year to where we are right now,” Wilson said. “That growth is really, really good. We’re basically putting in the same plays that we’ve had in the playoffs.

“That type of offense right now where we’re really intricate and really focused on the details, and when you focus on the details and continue to harp on those details, the more you’ll grow and learn, and the better you’ll be when you have those big opportunities in games. I think that’s going to give us a good chance when we get to preseason, and the regular season also.”

Center Max Unger said the offense went through installations for the team’s base plays three to four times during the offseason training program, which allowed for Seahawks to tweak and add new wrinkles along the way.

“The way we’re able to run through our drills is lightning compared to two years ago, or even last year,” Unger said. “Everyone knows what their doing. Everyone knows where they’re supposed to be, which let’s us focus on a lot of other things we should be doing.”

Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell will have a good problem to solve when training camp begins at the end of July – how to get the ball to all of Seattle’s talented playmakers.

“That’s why it’s important to build your foundation first – so here’s who we are, and what we are,” Bevell said. “These are the ones that we do. And then you’re just going to start adding little wrinkles along the way. And all of them are still off the core plays.”

Receiver Sidney Rice said the one thing that sets Seattle’s offense apart is having Wilson at the controls.

“We know who’s going to lead the team with Russell, obviously,” Rice said. “Everybody’s comfortable with him. The way he carries himself, and the way he studies and prepares, I don’t think we want anybody else back there. He’s taken control of this team.”

Rice added one thing that will make it easier for him to get open is having Percy Harvin on his team again.

“It’s going to be huge,” Rice said. “I know I’m excited myself. Golden (Tate) has to be excited – even Percy. He’s just going to open up things for the whole offense. With Marshawn (Lynch) in the backfield, Russell back there tossing around the rock, it’s going to be a real tough offense to stop.”

Game coverage
  1. That last RealRobReport had me a little worried about the pace of implementing new DL plays being too quick. But, it’s good to hear the difference between last season and this one for offensive plays implementation.

2. How long ago was it that people were calling for Bevell & Carroll’s job?

While the majority of their “skill” players on offence do have a lot of experience, they are still quite young; a wonderful combination.

mocarob – Carroll and Bevell’s jobs? OCs are nearly always getting beat up by the fans, but I don’t recall anyone calling for Carroll’s job. If they were I didn’t hear it (of course I do my best to tune out stupidity).

5. CDHawkFan says:

Duke, do you think there is enough experience not to go down 0-14 and 0-20 in the playoffs again? On the positive side they did get 2 games under their belt last year, will hopefully be playing at home, and the coaches better prepared.

You typically see a vet or 2 added when a team is this close who might provide that calming influence, but they stayed away from vets such as Woodson, Umenyiora and Freeney this off season. Again, I hope the 3 points above (and RW) are enough.

6. The Hawks were interested in Woodson, just not at the price he wanted. Then they drafted young guys and signed Winfield, so he went elsewhere.

7. montanamike2 says:

I don’t remember anyone calling for their jobs either, it may have been on another blog mocarob.

8. montanamike2 says:

I’m glad they spent the money on DL and DE and a wicked nickle instead of Woodson even though he is a great player. Our secondary is scary strong without him.

9. “How long ago was it that people were calling for Bevell & Carroll’s job?”

I remember the drumbeat starting w/r/t PC at the beginning of this year by some on this board, esp those unhappy with his QB choice. We were 2-2 due to losses to the Cards and Rams after 4 games. But Carroll was never going anywhere. Thankfully.

10. Judging solely by comments from their hometown fans after they were released, seems like Winfield has more left in the tank than Woodson at this point.

11. montanamike2 says:

Yeah i think i remember, he was getting a lot of flak for Whitehurst and Flynn.

12. SlickToxic21 says:

Vernon Davis has taken notice.

Believe that VD! Believe that!!

13. I know i’m probably looking through homer glasses – but Hawks/Niners is the best rivalry in the league right now, no?

Pitt/Baltimore and the other good NFC ones (Giants/Eagles, Packers/Bears) all seem down a notch because none of them have two teams that are real contenders.

And both the Hawks and Niners can hit – they’ve been the most bruising games of the season for 2 yrs now – I think plenty of people outside the SF/Seattle area are going to watch that week 2 game in primetime.

14. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

spoken like a scared man

15. CDHawkFan says:

STTBM, I don’t remember the Woodson interest, but to clarify my thinking, its more about how this Front Office see’s a vets presence in the lockroom/sideline. To get a guy who has ‘been there’ didn’t appear high on their list as there were options (in areas of need) at market value or above. Going slightly above or above to get ‘that guy’ would have been a sign that PC/JS felt they needed that to deal with the nerves/slow start to both playoff games and to take some of the pressure off the younger players with media/hype/expectations during a SB run season.

Maybe they feel they already have it, or that they will coach their way through it, who knows. They were laying such an egg at the start of both games and I am not sure I heard a reason why. I guess I want to know what will be different with this years team to avoid those starts (do they feel its coaching, 1 more year of experience, play book?). Maybe Eric can slide that question in at some point.

CDHawkFan – “Duke, do you think there is enough experience not to go down 0-14 and 0-20 in the playoffs again?”

I don’t understand what this means. My post specifically noted offense. In addition to that, if we were speaking about defense I would answer yes, there is enough experience on that side to not fall behind like that. A part of why I feel that way is because of last year.

After re-reading that, you may have meant that genuinely, so if my response was a bit pointed, I apologize.

Rice said.- “Everybody’s comfortable with him. The way he carries himself, and the way he studies and prepares, I don’t think we want anybody else back there. He’s taken control of this team.”

The players aren’t crazy. They know if they follow this man he will lead them to the promise land.

19. Antideluvian says:

What Vernon Davis said:“They’re building a dynasty over there,” the Niners tight end told NFL.com’s Jeff Darlington on Tuesday at the NFL Rookie Symposium in Ohio. “These guys are coming to take us out. I respect them, but we want to win, too. We have to … play each game like it’s our last game.”

What he MEANT: “Kam Chancellor hits like a runaway freight train! My bell is still ringing from last December.”"

20. RDPoulsbo says:

Other than Wilson and Tate, the skill positions are all high priced acquisitions. They certainly better have the experience to not start 2 TDs in the hole on a playoff game. That’s really a question the o-line needs to answer though, particularly at guard so they can get a power running game going early.

21. sluggo42 says:

CD-

My $.02 on your thought is that youth, nerves, injuries, and the such is why we slow started those games. Even coaching played a part. I believe that many of these areas were addressed with FA this year with Winfield, Bennett, and Avril. We also got some meat in the middle, WT3 is healthy. Percy Harvin, and the actual experience of laying those early game eggs and spotting the leads will all be a piece to the remedy this season.

This year will be different!

22. Ewalters7354 says:

Nfl.com is asking if the Hawks are overhyped? Wow! In my opinion the Pats, Saints, Packers, Steelers,Cowboys, Giants are overhyped.Smh

23. rramstad says:

Yes. I think it’s obvious. Football is a possession game. If the offense isn’t possessing the ball, it gives a huge advantage to the other team. Those zero fer starts put insane pressure on the defense. If the offense improves how they start games, the entire score will shift, probably dramatically.

24. bbnate420 says:

Yes, there were certainly plenty of people calling for Bevell’s head the first half of last year. And there were some calling for PC’s or at least heavily criticizing him, though I cannot name anyone in particular right now besides a certain person that doesn’t like certain LBs and short QBs. I seem to recall it was the worst after the Miami loss.

25. Ewalters7354 says:

Hell yeah the Miami game had me calling for Pete’s head! I was embarrassed and hurt.As fans, in the heat of the moment we say things that just are meant for the moment.But personally I’ve been pleased with PC since he’s become coach.

26. montanamike2 says:

We had a few growing pains, like a decade of them but this ship is headed north. I never, never dreamed last year at this time that we’d be Superbowl contenders, elite even in only a years time.

27. montanamike2 says:

I’d still like to upgrade the kicker though, maybe next year, someone who can nail 60 yarders consistently.

28. bbnate420 says:

“B.S. What the 49ers show us is that a great coach can take a talented but underachieving team and turn them into Superbowl contenders. Our coach takes our talented but underachieving team and loses winnable games.

I know there’s a lot of animosity for Harbaugh on this board (which I don’t really understand), but when he was still at Standford, I wanted him to be the next Seahawks HC. I love the guy. And if he was our coach, we’d be in the division lead, not the 49ers.

Right now I just want a new coach. Someone who can instill some discipline, and someone who will either be a great offensive mind, or hire one.

I want Sean Peyton. Right now.”

“OC, and DC

No imagination, too predictable. If that is on PC, then he needs to light a fire under their butts, or pack their bags. If PC can’t handle that, then HE is the third wheel to the problem, and needs to go too…

I am pissed at watching the same fricking play every first down, that every defense knows is coming. I am tired of seeing a dt in the backfield within one second of the play because somebody missed another assignment. I am tired of watching the other team march down the field for 25 yards a shot every fourth quarter… That is all on the coaching schemes, and they are weak”

“Chris, I’m with you.Harbaugh is a great coach.His teams seem to have no problem winning on the road.To come down here and beat a hot Saints team in a hostile environment with a rookie QB is damn impressive.Also Vick Fangio is a great D coordinator.

I can tell you that Sean Payton is either staying with the Saints or he’ll be in Dallas.I personally wouldn’t mind having Gruden or Reid.I know his team has struggled, but he has shown his coaching is way better than what we have now.I’d even consider Chip Kelly.”

“I find it hard to believe this team will finish above 500. Pete is the college chear leader type and this teams needs discipline. I can’t stand his decision making. Really, not attempting a 53 yarder.Really. Field possesion instead. Your d is average bro. Go win the game. Score points. We need a proven NFL coach. Just like Holmgren was when he took over.

Paul Allen please put in calls to both Jon Gruden and Bill Cowher. I do not want Andy Reid. Those guys actually deserve $8M per year. Pete should head back to USC and be told to turn off the damn DJ during practices for the restt of the season. Grow up”

That’s just a sampling of posts on the thread the morning after the loss to the Dolphins. There are more. I didn’t attach names because my point is not to call out anyone in particular. They are all from regulars that still post to this day though. I didn’t cherry pick comments from one time posters. Mocarob wasn’t “misremembering” as Clemens would say.

“As fans, in the heat of the moment we say things that just are meant for the moment.”

One of the most enlightening things I have heard here on this blog.

Couldn’t have said it better Ewalters7354.

Good thing I read the whole post nate because for a moment I thought it was you spewing that garbage,lol.
    Yes, I remember seeing many anti Carroll posts. Especially after we drafted our future hall of fame QB.

The thing is, I can understand the heat of the moment comments about the performance of players or coaches after games, however there was clearly an agenda by some to devalue our coach and Wilson with repeated negative posts about them.
    I will give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they were just stuck on stupid.

BTW- Jimmy Johnson didn’t have it any better with the Cowboy fans in the beginning. Imagine replacing a legend like Landry?

32. bsinnitt says:

The posts about Harbaugh are always entertaining. He’s a pretty easy guy to dislike obviously but I think the future of this division will be the Hawks vs. the Rams for the foreseeable future. I just don’t see Kapernick becoming an elite QB and many of the 9ers best players are nearing the end of their prime (Justin Smith, Frank Gore, etc.). I love watching the rivalry, particularly the most recent game 42 – 13 but it won’t surprise me if the 9ers finish 3rd in our division for the next few years. It will be full circle to when the Hawks originally joined the NFC West and had to go through the Rams for multiple division titles. Go Hawks!

bsinnitt- That makes a lot of sense to me, and I hope that’s the way it works out because I would be very happy to see Harbaugh and the 49ers chomping at the chance, but just missing out on a playoff berth.

34. Thanks Nate. I didn’t think i was losing my marbles..
    I didn’t remember specific time periods ~ Just that people were getting upset with lack of discipline & predictable play calling.
    The photo above with RW3 and Darrell made me think of it along with Unger talking about how much more experienced the offense is now..

35. sluggo42 says:

Hey Nate, how do you go back for old posts like that?

Blood Sweat & Tears.

You’ve made me so very happy.

“We lost so much before”
    “Got mad and closed the door”
    “But we’ve tried just once more”
    “Carroll/Schneider are the ones”
    “Now we’re having so much fun”
    “Getting talent they will find”
    “I’m about to lose my mind”
    “The Seahawks make me very happy”

“Ken Behring was untrue”
    “But Paul Allen pulled us through”
    “Tough times for me and you”
    “Then Carroll came and he took control”
    “He touched our very soul”
    “He always shows us that”
    “competing is where it’s at”
    “The Seahawks make me so very happy”
    “I’m so glad they came into my life yeah”

37. nate – that’s quite a list of comments. lol.

Every season I’ve been on this blog its been the same. A few of the regulars here, plus a load of other people that suddenly show up, scream bloody murder after a couple of losses and scream that the OC doesn’t know how to call plays, DC is too passive to sack the other team’s QB, etc., etc. It was the same when Holmgren was here, worse when Mora took over the team, and as bad when Carroll was new and unknown as it was for Mora. Fans love to blame a coach, whether they’ve ever coached, or played, or know what they are talking about.

And then, the same people will come on the blog during the offseason predicting the team will have a 12-4 record or other such nonsense. But at least it makes the offseason seem kind of… peaceful.

Nate – I remember the “calls to Gruden and Cower” comment. Oh how I wish you would have posted the names with the comments. As I said, I did (do) my best to tune out stupidity, so I presume that’s why I don’t remember most of the anti-Carroll sentiment.

39. jawpeace says:

I been excited for the upcoming season for quite a while but after reading that I am stoked and super pumped!

40. bbnate420 says:

Sluggo, just use the blog search bar near the top of the page with the links along the right side of the page. In the same area as Eric’s twitter feed and so on. Just search Dolphins loss. The posts I quoted were from the Morning Links post the day after the game. I would guess that there was more of the same, or worse, in the post game thread.

Duke, just search Dolphins loss if you want to put names to the posts. None of them were from your favorite person to debate. One of the guys I actually haven’t seen post in awhile, but he/she was a regular. I was just trying to confirm what mocarob said, not call people out. I would guess that we’ve all been wrong about something on here. I try to stay even keeled about the Hawks. It hasn’t always been the case right after a tough loss, especially if alcohol is in the mix. I try to keep the wild predictions or guarantees to a minimum as well. The last one I made was that McCoy would beat out Willson for the #2 TE spot. We now know McCoy won’t be beating anyone.

41. bbnate420 says:

Sluggo, one of those posts was from you, if you wanted to know. Though I think your post was the most measured and accurate of the ones I posted. You were criticizing the assistants more than PC necessarily. There were posts more critical of PC that I didn’t quote, but yours just happened to be near the top of the thread.

I thought that the jury was still out to some degree about PC as a NFL head coach through at least half of last season, though I was willing to give him at least through 2013 before deciding. I already thought he was a good judge of talent. I still don’t like that he can get “hormonal” during games and seems to devalue FGs sometimes, but you have to take the bad with the good unfortunately. There’s no perfect coach out there. I still have some hope that he can improve upon making emotional decisions during games.

42. sluggo42 says:

Haha, yes, I thought I recognized that thought. And at that point of the season, I think I was quite accurate with what I said.
    It appears Bevell read that, and they spiced up the offense after that.

I wasn’t calling to Pete’s head though, but I think my patience with the dumbed down offense had reached its peak…

Compare that offense with where it is now… Night and day.

43. HawkfaninMT says:

I was a guy that wanted Bevel moved after the season. Not ashamed to admit it… Especially when it was made clear that Norv Turner would be available. As a HC he blew, but the man can run an offense. I am extremely comfy with Bevel now, as long as he sticks with hawks for the foreseeable future.

44. I was one of those critical of Carrol and his staff, though I don’t believe you quoted any of my comments, Nate (thank God!). I still feel much of the criticism was justified. Indeed, many of the concerns raised through the bears game may still be relevant.

Carrols lack of discipline is still a concern of mine, as is his poor clock management, as well as his lack of sense when it comes to deciding not only when to eschew a field goal, but what play call to make.

Not to mention Bevell’s tendency to revert to horrifically conservative play calling at times. Seriously, like Knox, he loves to run on first down and after every incompletion?!… A run!

Bradley’s maddening prevent d on third down has hopefully followed him out the door, so pass there. And hopefully we never see Browner playing soft cushion all game (like he had to in Miami and Detroit)…

And I’m not buying that we will have even average play from the G’s till I see it; six straight years of bad means I’m a skeptic.

Our last five games were awesome, but dropping 14 points to the skins and the first half debacle in Atl clearly show that Seattle–from the HC down to the kicker–have a lot of work to do before they should have their butts crowned.

45. And yeah, prior to the win in Chicago, I wanted Bevell’s head on a pike, but I admittedly changed my tune and was stoked when they extended his contract. Now I just hope he has stopped being more conservative than the Daughters of the Revolution…

46. I’m waiting to see how the team performs the first couple weeks. I don’t want to see 1985 all over again…

47. If you guys want to see that Dolphin’s thread with all of frustrated quotes, it’s right here:

By the way, it’s super easy to look up any past quote from this blog on Google because even a short quote is essentially a unique sequence of letters that will take you right to the page it appears.

For example, search Google for this quote:

“Really, not attempting a 53 yarder.Really”

NOTE: Be sure to enclose the quote with parentheses. This tells Google to find an EXACT match. Otherwise, you’ll get back umpteen million results from pages that contain words like really, not, attempting, 53, etc…

One more thing….Whenever you copy a sentence from this blog, it automatically adds a link to the page you’re copying from, which helps Seahawks Insider promote themselves when people paste quotes on other blogs, etc..

For example, when I copied this sentence from bbnate’s post a few minutes ago:

“There’s no perfect coach out there.”

The blog cleverly added this to the sentence I copied:

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2013/06/25/hawks-offense-fueled-by-experienced-playmakers/#more-17837#storylink=cpy

So, if I’m going to do a Google search, I paste the text into Google, add quotes to get an exact match, then delete the extra text prior to clicking search.

Nate – We all know how wrong I was about Wilson, so yes, we can and are wrong, often. lol. But like you, I try to keep the hyperbole and “wild predictions” to a minimum as well.

49. So, when people are throwing out quotes from the past, and especially if you think it may have been taken out of context, it’s really easy to track down where it came from to see for yourself.

All that is presuming one can recall the exact quote.

51. Uh, no…have a cup of copy, Duke, and read it again. LOL

52. …coffee…maybe a grande. I’ve already finished my morning Rockstar energy drink.

53. sluggo42 says:

Interesting Supreme Court decision in, check it out when you have finished seahawk blogging…

As far as past blog comments, it’s funny to read some. I think many are issued at a moment of emotion, either way. Some like the Dallas fans depths of despair, to pure euphoria after a great win like the Chicago game. They illustrate in color how our blue and green blood flows at that exact moment. I think it’s great. It’s not really a right or wrong thing, it’s just an emotion snapshot of that very second

54. montanamike2 says:

I’ll admit to being angry over the fact that we we’re to predictable. Then they unleashed Wilson and suddenly we weren’t so predictable anymore. The whole team stepped up.

55. montanamike2 says:

I’ll agree with you again Sluggo, fans vent hard after a loss, now that we’re all “bought in” maybe we’ll cut some guys a little slack when we do seldomly lose.

56. sluggo42 says:

I would guesstimate that 80%+ felt the offense was too predictable, when indeed it was. Notice how I link an assumed truth to my statement to make it right hehe. But, in hindsight we were right. To see what the offense did after that start proved we were correct.

With expectations of nothing less than a SB victory this year, after going 16-0, with an average margin of victory being 30+ points per game, I am curious how we react should the unthinkable happen, and we actually do lose a game… The harrah of it all….

I read it again, and I was even less interested. Sorry.

58. sluggo42 says:

Wow, pats release Hernandez with his arrest…

59. Ewalters7354 says:

So what does bringing up old comments
    prove? That training camp needs to hurry up lol

60. montanamike2 says:

No doubt!

61. Well said Sluggo. Being frustrated and emotional after those bad losses doesn’t make us trolls or idiots or fair weather fans at all, quite the contrary. Hopefully the great showing by Deattle over their final seven games is a precursor of things to come, and will help us all find some balance when they do inevitably lose a game or two.

62. “Wow, pats release Hernandez with his arrest”

Wow is right . . .damn . . .that story sure moved fast. What a turn of events.

Very interesting to read that read from after the Miami game. And I’ll agree w/the thought that this board is just the place to vent to fellow Hawks fans; whether you’re going over the top good or bad. All is forgiven when we all have the same hopes and dreams for the same team.

63. Did you know that last season was the FIRST time in PC’s NFL coaching career that he finished with a better record than the year before?

I want him to stick around but at the start of last season I was still in the “prove it to me ” mode with Pete. I am a Seattle sports fan so there hasn’t been a whole ton of things to cheer for around here – so when we get close to being great it adds so much more to the anticipation.

I still go back and think – what if Rg3 hadn’t got injured in that game- how would we feel about the play-offs and the season? As great as the LOB is- are they going to get end of game stops? It’s my deep seeded fear that has been planted in me after being let down by soooo many Seattle teams of the past

64. bbnate420 says:

The bringing up of past quotes wasn’t to embarrass anyone, as I said. It was just to confirm mocarob’s assertion that people were indeed calling for PC’s head. I thought I remembered it that way, so I went and looked for evidence. I wasn’t even making a judgement on whether or not calling for his head was right or wrong. I don’t think it was right. I think criticism was fair at the time and now, but I think it was too early to be talking about firing him personally.

Audible, I actually meant to leave one of the links to the page after my quotes. I kept erasing them after the first ones, because I didn’t want 4 links in my post. I just erased the link after the last quote out of habit.

A lot of people are going to sway from one extreme to the other with every win and loss. It’s been that way for as long as I’ve followed this blog. It’s a bit bipolar. The thing about the quotes I posted is that they were the day after, when people had had time to cool off. I try my best to not flip out from week to week. It’s fine to have high expectations, but I think you should still enjoy the ride. I want a SB win in 2013 as bad as anyone, but only 1 out of 32 teams can win it. A lot of things that are out of any of our control can happen. I think it’s kind of sad if you can only enjoy the season if it ends with a SB win.

65. bbnate420 says:

xcman, PC only had 4 seasons as a NFL head coach coming into his tenure with the Hawks. That statistic is overused IMO. He only had one year with the Jets, so he couldn’t possibly improve the record could he? He was fired after one 6-10 season. It’s not like he went 2-14. He had 3 years in NE. Their record declined by one game his second and third seasons. He made the playoffs the first 2 years and won a playoff game the first year.

He came into a mess when he got to Seattle. He had to completely remake the team. They really had no business finishing 7-9 his first year. The division was unusually weak. That’s mainly why they did. The division wasn’t weak the 2nd year, and he was still able to finish 7-9 while turning the team over and without a very good QB. He’s now gone 11-5 in his 3rd year. Holmgren went 7-9 his fourth year in Seattle. He didn’t get to 10 wins until season 5.

I’m not saying it wasn’t fair to have a wait and see attitude with PC in 2012. I had one for much of the year too, though I didn’t really expect to make the playoffs with a rookie QB. I was waiting for 2013 to be the deciding year. I’m just saying that the improved record stat is overused and doesn’t mean nearly as much when you look at it closely.

66. nate, agree with your comments on Carroll.

Sure he’s had an up and down career. Who hasn’t? But his ups have been higher than most by far. Pete has held a lot of different coaching jobs, asst coach for 4 college teams and 4 pro teams, HC four times. Not all those coaching opportunities were optimal, but if we look at the three teams Pete coached for who had good personnel/recruiting programs – 49ers, USC, and Seahawks – he’s had huge success with all three teams.

When he came to Seattle, I knew he had a reputation for having a different personality, but I never bought the argument that he hadn’t proven himself as a great coach. Even great coaches land in losing situations sometimes.

67. I Don’t recall venting here, but I may have. I did not, and still do not like Bevell’s play-calling. There have been a couple of times I’ve questioned Pete (particularly his play-calling and clock management) but I don’t believe I’ve ever called for his job (or head – unlike Ruskell!). I think that the play-makers we (had by the end of last season, and) currently have on the team will make any OC look good, I just wish we had an OC who could and would return the favor. That said, at least one more season with a squad that knows him and vice versa is something I can tolerate.

Go ‘Hawks