Anybody want to tell Seahawks what they should be doing?

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on June 18, 2013 at 10:48 am with 15 Comments »
June 18, 2013 10:48 am

June 18, 2013

Not sure if this gives fans the rights to advise Pete Carroll against relying on prevent defenses in the fourth quarter, but it might still be of interest. Here’s a release the Seahawks just sent out. Might be fun to think what you would like to tell them if you were selected to be on the council. Feel free to test your suggestions here.

Seahawks Seek 12 Fans for President’s Advisory Council

Team plans to elevate role of the 12th MAN®even more

RENTON, Wash. - The Seattle Seahawks announced today the formation of a “President’s Fan Advisory Council” to assist team executives in the evaluation and enhancement of the overall Seahawks fan experience. Members of the President’s Fan Advisory Council will have direct access, both online and face-to-face, with team executives in addition to an open forum to share their thoughts and ideas with those who can implement change.

“The Fan Advisory Council will play an important role in our efforts to maintain and enhance the Seahawks fan experience,” said Seahawks president Peter McLoughlin. “We will hold quarterly meetings to discuss and focus on a variety of fan related issues including:in-stadium fan experience, game presentation and in-stadium technology.”

The President’s Fan Advisory Council will be composed of 12 season ticket holders from varied backgrounds and cities, applicants must be at least 21 years of age and will be asked to commit to a two-year term. Applications are due by July 12 with the first meeting planned for the fall.

McLoughlin serves on two NFL committees, Stadium Security and Fan Behavior.

For more information and to apply visit seahawks.com.

1. Carlsonkid says:

Now that’s cool ! The stadium experience definitely needs some fan input , I still think there’s a lot they can improve on . Season tickets holders fill out a questionnaire at the end of every season , but who knows if they get read by people who have the authority to make the changes you suggest .

Glad to see this happening – do you know of any other teams in the league doing this Dave ?

2. Dave Boling says:

I don’t know. I think a lot of this started with Tod Leiweke, who made the “stadium experience” a priority. The hockey team he was with in Minnesota was very oriented in that direction. And McLaughlin, as I recall, is a bit of a Leiweke acolyte.

3. Carlsonkid says:

It wouldn’t surprise me , it feels like something with Leiweke’s fingerprints ; he was definitely a huge influence on the team / fan relationship . I was sorry to see him go , but it seems he left the team in good hands in that regard .

4. rramstad says:

Application submitted.

Mr. Leiweke did a GREAT job while he was here. I’m just a lowly season ticket holder, but he personally responded to a few different emails and issues that I sent him over the years. A great, great businessman.

5. ET will be on NFL Network’s Total Access tonight. (He was on NFL AM already) Micheal Robinson on NFL Films Presents at 530 & 930 tonight.

Tomorrow is a show called “Top 10 Snakebitten Franchises”. Could be interesting..

6. doubledink says:

I would like to see more emphasis on the stadium being a “family friendly” atmosphere. It is not a place I would take my kids when they were younger. Probably the most significant thing to counter that would be to hold a tighter control on drunkenness and outrageous behavior. Some sections (the ones I can afford) get pretty crazy, not in a good way.

I would also like to see the Seahawks lead the league by setting up cameras that view all sidelines, goal lines and back endzone lines from both directions looking down the lines. There are too many oblique camera angles when trying to view replays. I don’t know if the league would let them go independent like that though.

7. rramstad says:

DD, ironically, I think most long term Seahawks ticket holders feel exactly the opposite way in terms of the game day experience. There’s a huge resistance to “Mariner-ification” and in fact many people find the half time entertainment inane, the constant music and announcements annoying, and the commercials… well, no one likes the commercials.

I’m not suggesting we need more profanity or drinking… but there’s already a really repressive security regime in place, much tighter than most stadiums.

I might also add all the bad stories I hear from season ticket holders revolve around the fact that security always seems to take the side of visiting fans, and of course, the season ticket holder is always at risk of losing their tickets, so this is a big big issue for those who have had issues with security.

8. raymaines says:

A minor uniform tweak would be on my list. The Seahawk graphic should be on the shoulder or sleeve and the little feathers are kind of silly.

9. raymaines says:

Here’s something to read while we’re contemplating the total fan experience:

10. doubledink says:

rram,
    I understand. I don’t want a wussified stadium either. And the Clink is better than most around the league. The incidents I have seen have been policed pretty well by us fans. I probably don’t really have much to complain about.

The cameras on the other hand… we could set the gold standard of coverage there.

11. Put underground heaters and subsurface drip water/fertilizer/airation system, and better drainage system, and change the field turf to real turf. Have a zillion cameras in the stadium that each have a seperate channel broadcast so that everyone within the stadium can switch their vid-phones or ipads to watch whichever channel they want to see, including direct overhead. Make sure each viewer can zoom in or out and see the same clarity for the given camera view. Then people can stand up in front of you the whole game without your having to stand up too. About the cameras, especially make sure that that roaming camera doesn’t fall on RW like the time it almost did on Matt Hasselbeck. Have Mr Allen raise the 12th man flag. Lower the seat price for preseason games. Provide electric outlets for tailgate cooking/refer appliances. Eliminate firework smoke from obscuring views during the game. Hand out tasers to each fan on entering the stadium to be used on unruly yaboes and opponents’ fans, and collect them again when the fans exit the stadium. Have Mr Nordstrom raise the 12th man flag. Hang the opposing team’s mascot over the field pregame and let all the kids whack at it with hockey sticks like a piniotta. Have Mike Holmgren raise the 12th man flag.

12. bbnate420 says:

The Clink is pretty tame. Forget about the “profanity”. Your kids have heard it all before. Who cares really? With the internet it’s likely your kids have seen a lot more than you’d like. Thus is life. I wouldn’t want a tame, Mariners type of atmosphere at the Clink. Though in all fairness, there’s really not much to cheer for at Safeco. Maybe if they want to curb some of the drunken behavior they could charge 20$ for a beer instead of 10?

Speaking of the M’s, it’s a wonder they wouldn’t want to hear more from the fans too. ;-)

13. rramstad says:

bb, can’t remember the source, and maybe I’m making this up, but I’m pretty sure there was a study done where they doubled the price of beer, and the arrests for drunkenness went up. I think it was a hockey team in Canada. Basically if beer was too much, people would drink hard stuff pregame and feel like they really needed a good buzz on before heading for the stadium. They’d also smuggle flasks in, much more frequently. If beer was $20, they’d sell zero, and there’d actually be more drunk people.

14. bbnate420 says:

Yeah, I was being somewhat sarcastic. I would bet that most of the people that are really intoxicated at the games were tailgating before. And I’ve snuck my flask into the Clink a time or 2. Then I just have to buy a 10$ soda.

15. I believe the NFL controls the amount and placement of cameras. However, it would be nice if a few Seahawk cameras were placed in strategic locations and available for fan-at-game viewing on their phones. Put some of those cameras on the Seagals & hot girl fans too. :)

It would be nice if they shoot a lot more shirts, towels, autographed stuff, & Seahawk stuff in general into the crowd. For current ticket/parking prices, it wouldn’t break the bank for them to distribute Seahawk gear.