Carroll: Tarvaris Jackson and Brady Quinn will compete for backup QB job

Post by Eric Williams on June 13, 2013 at 2:29 pm with 12 Comments »
June 13, 2013 2:29 pm

Tarvaris Jackson’s deal with the Seattle Seahawks is not official, so he was not at the team’s final minicamp practice today.

However, Seattle head coach Pete Carroll acknowledged that Jackson likely is being added to the fold.

And Carroll said that Jackson will compete with Brady Quinn for the backup quarterback job.

“If we can get T-Jack to come back to us – and we’re going to try and get that done here – I think it’s a great boost for us in a competitive sense,” Carroll said. “We thought of Tarvaris as a tremendously tough football player. And a competitive kid that battled for us. And we’re a little better than we were in those days.

“So we bring him back with the thought that he’ll make this a real competitive situation. … Russell’s our quarterback. There’s no question about that. But if Tarvaris comes back in, he understands the system. We’re very familiar with him. He’s comfortable in these setting and surroundings, and we’ll expect him to battle.”

Carroll went on to say that Seattle’s attempt to bring back Jackson is not a reflection on the way Quinn has performed so far.

“Not at all,” Carroll said. “We’re seizing the opportunity that one of our guys is out there, and we can bring him back in, and he’ll be able to help us. T-Jack has a strong arm, he understands the system and he’s tough as nails. That’s a lot of good stuff.”

So what have you seen from Quinn?

“In the situation he’s in, he’s been next to perfect,” Carroll said. “He has worked like crazy. He knows exactly what we’re asking of him. He’s a tremendous guy in the meeting rooms, on the practice field, and supporting Russell’s efforts to figure it out. And he’s competed really well. He’s had a plenty of looks, and he’s done a good job for us.”

I’ll have much more from practice on a blog post later today.

Notes from practice
  1. sluggo42 says:

Wow, reading between those lines tells me Quinn is toast

2. sluggo42 says:

For some reason, I was kinda pulling for Quinn, but now I feel a weird internal pull for tJack. Maybe as the back up, he can still get his ring with us. He should see lots of playing time in mop up duty, so he will get to actually contribute.

Feeling sad for Flynn though, I expected more than the lousy reports I’ve heard so far.

14-2 since a few predictions have been flying about…

3. Autenpus says:

16-0. Why the heck not. It’s June.

4. My internet access is limited these days so please forgive that I haven’t read the blog up to date. I would welcome Tarvaris back with open arms. He’s a good backup QB, especially considering his experience with the Hawks. I would also feel comfortable carrying only 2 QBs on the roster with Tarvaris in the fold and with this roster that opens/retains a critical spot for someone at another position.

5. dirtbiker_joey says:
  6. I love the line, “one of our guys is out there, and we can bring him back in”. Loyalty to players is a rare thing around this league sometimes. I like that we bring back players that put the work in like Jevon Kearse and the like. Pete always talks them up on the way out the door as well(unless he’s trying to sneak them onto the practice squad).

This sort of classy treatment of players, even when the roster was shuffling like mad a couple years ago, goes a long ways, not only into an attractive destination for free agents, but to instill a culture of guys “buying in” and wanting to be here. Wasn’t too sure about Pete starting out, but he’s won me over too.

7. sluggo42 says:

Carps at 351 lbs…that be big

8. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

i think carp is done here at that weight

9. raymaines says:

I hope T-Jack signs here before he reads about the situation in Oakland.

10. If carp is 351 then f him, he’s another Aaron curry and can kiss my butt!

11. Where did Carp being 351 come from?