Morning links: Smith offers lofty praise for Lynch

Post by Eric Williams on June 11, 2013 at 7:30 am with 41 Comments »
June 11, 2013 7:31 am
Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch, second from right, takes part in a drill with teammate Spencer Ware (44) as running backs coach Spencer Sherman, second from left, looks on during an NFL football practice Tuesday, May 28, 2013, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Dave Mahler of KJR-AM interviewed Seattle Seahawks running backs coach Sherman Smith on Monday, which you can listen to in this audio link.

It’s an interesting listen, as Smith provides some insight into the team’s running back rotation.

Specifically, even with the Seahawks drafting Christine Michael in the second round, Smith remains a fan of second-year pro Robert Turbin.

“I don’t see his role being that big from the standpoint of his draft position, because Robert Turbin is having an outstanding, outstanding spring for us,” Smith said, when asked what he envisioned Michael’s role would be during the regular season.

Smith also had lofty praise for Marshawn Lynch, calling him that most talented running back he’s worked with in 29 years of coaching, and that includes working with Eddie George in Tennessee and Clinton Portis in Washington.

Smith addressed some of the criticism that Lynch has received for not attending all of the offseason workouts.

“You want Marshawn to be there to show his support for the team, and to show that he’s in, and that he’s working to get prepared,” Smith said. “So I can understand it from that point of view. But I also had a player when I was in Tennessee, Eddie George, and he did not come to the OTAs either. And I know that he was the best conditioned player that we had. And he was our best player at that time.”

Smith is always great to talk to because he’s honest in his assessment of his players, and also specific in what each player does well, and what they need to work on.

Dave Boling of The News Tribune writes that the Seahawks coaching history could keep Pete Carroll from making the list of the Top 20 coaches in NFL history.

Bucky Brooks of gives Richard Sherman the nod over Patrick Peterson in his head-to-head comparison, calling the talented Seattle corner’s skill set far superior over his Arizona counterpart at this point in their development.

Lindsay Jones of USA Today profiles Seahawks receiver Percy Harvin.

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports includes Earl Thomas on his list of players due for big pay days on their next deal.

John Boyle of The Everett Herald makes a case for the Seahawks bringing Tarvaris Jackson back in the fold.

Clare Farnsworth of writes that Seattle’s minicamp this week to complete the team’s offseason program could have a maximum impact on the upcoming season.

Rivers McCown of Football Outsiders notes that Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman made appearances on their advanced metrics in charting the top cornerbacks in the league.

Bob Condotta of The Seattle Times offers some key things to look for in this week’s Seahawks minicamp.

Morning links
  1. yankinta says:

Although I have a soft spot for T-Jack, I think we’re pretty set with Quinn. Quinn is a very hard worker and has higher ceiling than T-Jack. I predict we won’t be bringing back T-Jack.

P.S., we will not have a 3rd QB Spot on the Roster. We need to keep 5 RBs and 6 CBs on the roster….

In this league, and specific to how much Seattle runs the ball, I don’t see Michael as an indictment on Turbin’s play at all. I see them trying to upgrade the position overall and Michael is better suited to Seattle’s running scheme than Washington was. Moreover, with Harvin now here and his ability to return kicks, it made taking someone like Michael even more understandable. You’ve got to be deep at RB in today’s NFL and that’s (hopefully) what they are now.

3. Southendzone says:

Extra morning link PFF says Golden Tate is the Hawks secret superstar

4. SideWalkHawk says:

Duke- I also wonder what the team knows about Lynch and his health. The back spasms that have seemed to be downplayed over the last couple of years. He’s such a physical guy, there is the thought that Michael will actually extend ‘shauns shelf life… That in and of it self will be a great value.

Lynch’s running style absolutely requires they have capable talent behind him. Agreed.

6. Singularitarian says:

Maybe we should still pick up Tebow

Ohh wait, he’s a Patriot
    hahahahaha! Sorry Bobby K

7. Singularitarian says:

Southernendzone- Funy how 3 or 4 times in that article they speak of Tate as not as fast as teams want. Where I’m from a 4.42 40 is pretty fast. Cool though that he was in the top 20 of deep receptions, I would not have guessed that (if that’s even true). Maybe that puts to rest the idea that we don’t have a downfield threat. It will be fun to see him getting 3rd coverage when teams still have to worry about Miller and Lynch as well, not to mention The head ache that is Russle Wilson. Stack the box and try and stop the run game and deal with Tate/Harvin/Rice/Miller. Cover those guys and Deal with the read option against nicklel. Pick your Poison! It wouldn’t surprise me if Tate caught for 1000 yards

8. I always find the Football Outsiders stuff to be interesting. As Eric mentions, Browner and Sherman are listed but Antoine Winfield also makes a couple of appearances in the FO article. We have such great CB’s and so much depth. I am hoping we can PUP Tharold Simon (foot injury) to start the year and avoid cutting someone.

9. yankinta says:

blocis, would you rather have Simon or Byron Maxwell on the team?? It will be between those 2 guys, and that is if we keep 6 CBs….

Safe for Roster Spot (CB)
    1. Richard Sherman
    2. B Browner
    3. A Winfield
    4. Jeremy Lane
    5. W Thurmond
    6. Simon or Maxwell (I pick Simon cuz I think he has higher ceiling)

10. montanamike2 says:

I’d IR Simon if possible.

11. Nice little video analysis by Bucky Brooks of Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson. Brooks does a nice job of including intimidation and tackling in the list of things he ‘s looking for in a CB, and he says he thinks Sherman is ‘far better’. Fuel for the fire.

12. yankinta – I would assume Thurmond is ahead of Lane on the depth chart as long he he stays healthy. And Maxwell would be clearly ahead of Simon based on his two years of experience.

I would agree they need to find a way to keep Simon (PS or IR) because its not likely he can outright earn a spot on the 53 with all the good CBs in front of him. I’ve also heard some questions about his conditioning and health, so he doesn’t sound likely to light it up in training camp. I believe he’s a future player, though.

Maxwell has been surprisingly hardworking and smart CB for a guy with average skills. He’ll be tough to shake, but to me he looks like the odd man out of the CB group at some point.

13. yankinta….. I am greedy and want to keep Maxwell and Simon. We can take Simon off of PUP to replace Thurmond when he is inevitably injured again.

14. I don’t think Simon would make it to the PS.

You would think that the Seahawks were the only team that has a ped problem.
    Why nothing is said about the Redskins?

Seattle has more suspensions than any other team (2 more than Wash.). When you’re at the head of a list like that, you get the unwanted focus.

17. Singularitarian says:

Oh man I hope we sign Jackson back. He had all the cards stacked against him in 2011 and still played respectably. I think with this 2013 team he gets at least 9 wins. He knows the system, the players respect him, he even knows Percy Harvin. He is tough and he is not a danger with the football. I was a big fan of trading him last year with his salary and the Flynn/Wilson combo. Now I love the idea of signing him cheaper and to be a solid, tough, knowledgeable, reliable backup. Ohh and he is a good guy. I wake up in a sweaty mess thinking of Brady Quinn getting the keys to the Seahawks at any point EVER. I think Jackson[n could come in and keep us playing for a few weeks if (knock on wood) Wilson were to get a concussion or break some ribs or something

18. Singularitarian says:

whoops sorry haven’t been on here in a bit and didn’t see there was an entire thread for Jackson talk

19. sluggo42 says:

Wow, I just don’t get the tJack love. The guy was not a quick thinker, period. Been In the league for years. Couldn’t toss it incomplete before running OB for a ten yard loss, too complicated. Couldn’t throw a guy open period. Ya he had a cannon, but you had to be wide open… Couldn’t rise to the big play. But he was tough, and a good guy. I liked him. But not as the hawks QB.

Quinn on the other hand. I haven’t seen him play more than a couple plays. Young, physical skills, intelligent? I dunno. Hard worker, hard study , good team player.
    I can’t pass judgement on his pressure plays, I’ll have to rely on others opinions in here. I do know he played on a crappy team, and perhaps he tried too hard? It is interesting that he isn’t well thought of to a large number of you guys… That’s troubling too…

20. The guy threw for 3100 yards in 14 games on a rebuilding team. He lost 3 OL (including Okung) in the final half of 2011 and still finished 5-3. It might have been better had the Defense not allowed final game winning drives to the likes of Alex Smith, Rex Grossman and John Skelton.

If anyone is expecting or setting the bar for a backup QB to lead the team on a game winning drive against a good defense, good luck finding this person. He sure isn’t Brady Quinn or that stiff Nick Foles.

21. sluggo42 says:

Well, tJack is 30 now, sometimes a QB needs to be a little older to “get it”

Buuuut, I just can’t see pc/js going backwards… However stranger things have happened. But getting released from buffalo prior to training camp isn’t much of a positive endorsement either.

I’ll go look for some Quinn utube to see how bad he might be…

22. chuck_easton says:

Because 4 of the Redskins suspensions were for violations of the substance abuse program. i.e. they had their third positive test for one of the ‘happy drugs’.

The reason Seattle is getting all the attention is all of the recent suspensions here are for violations of the PED policy. And NO I’m not getting into it with bbnate about what is or isn’t a PED. He has medical information on his side. :) I’m just saying they violated some substance the the NFL SAYS is a PED. There, that’s my olive branch to bbnate!

23. Tarvaris Jackson has to be one of the worst QB’s I have seen in terms of progressing through his reads. He simply holds the ball too long. He waits on select routes to open that aren’t there. Even when he had good protection he would get him self sacked by virtue of sitting, waiting and staring too long. He has a strong arm and some athleticism, but a field general he is not. He might appear on the surface to be a better option than Quinn, but I have to think at the very least Quinn is a better presence in that QB room, and that’s what’s important to Pete and his offensive coaches.

24. I think TJack’s primary limitation is in his decision making. This has kept him from getting and holding onto a starter job.

Having said that, I think TJack gives us a better chance to win games this season than Brady Quinn does.

What I don’t know is whether TJack is willing to accept a back-up QB role and has any value mentoring RW. If TJack won’t accept the back-up role or the organization believes he would not mentor / help RW, then I would pass on TJack.

25. Mike Florio was on ESPN radio the other day, and what he said is that in terms of just pure team violations (not just PED infractions), the St. Louis Rams have had 5 different players from last year’s draft served with suspensions and/or fines. That is more than any other team in the NFC West, and maybe even the NFL.

Yes indeed, Jeff Fisher knows dirtbags. This is the man that drafted Pacman Jones, Albert Haynesworth, Kenny Britt, etc. No one on ESPN or wants to talk about that story though, right?

26. sluggo42 says:

I poked around the net and got mixed reviews on Quinn, so I’m still unsure. Except remember, he won a tryout against a couple other lumps of coal, so, maybe he is this years reclamation project …

27. Tjack gets a lot of crap for holding on to the ball too long…and I agree. The flip side of course is what Hass used to do and that’s cramming it in there when there was no place to cram.

IMO, PC coached Tjack to eat it rather than turn it over and give the other team great field position. I just don’t think he gets enough credit for managing the game in the fashion that he did with very little talent around him.

I’m not saying he’s a savior. I’m not saying by any means that he can carry R Dub’s jock. What I am saying is…he’d be a great back up and I’d love to see him compete with Brady Quinn and the other guys for that position. As long as he’s not a cancer in the locker room (which I don’t believe he ever was, more of a warrior IMO), it’s not my money, I say bring him in. I think he’s the perfect spot starter, emphasis on ‘spot’ starter.

28. chrisj122 says:

I still wouldn’t mind bringing in T-jack challenge Quinn for the backup spot and whoever performs the best stays and the other gets cut.

I’m just sooooo happy we are not talking about Tebow. I continually find my self in debates about Tim Tebow, just as recently as 2 min ago.
    Anyone who still thinks he is great needs their head examined.

29. ruminator1 says:

agree TJ is a good guy, a gamer. agree he holds the ball too long, he also telegraphs plays, stares at his target and doesn’t seem to consider options. but he did have a decent set of statistics, he does have respect from teammates. never agreed with those who made him out to be the Hawk’s version of Bobby Ayala. I am not particularly rooting for him to come back but I would not panic if that was the coaching decision. for sure this staff knows what he can do. they made a decision to let him go, the right decision at the time. really doubt they will reverse that.

I haven’t read a lot about jesse w. not sure if that is because he is still learning and healing or if it is because he hasn’t impressed.

30. ruminator1 says:

on Tebow: whatever else he is, he is positive, has a tremendous will to win. as unorthodox as he is and as much as a distraction as he is, he does bring a threat anytime he has the ball. I personally am wishing him well in NE. Hope he makes it. And glad he isn’t here. I do not think he would add anything to this particular team.

31. T-Jack mentor R-Dub? How about the other way around? Bring in T-Jack, let him learn from RW, and maybe he could become a top-tier backup. He’s a great guy, a team player, and the competition with Quinn wouldn’t hurt either. He’s shown that he can lead a less talented team to a .500 record, you can’t really expect more than that from a backup, right?

I know, I know, stats don’t mean anything, but look at T-Jack vs. Quinn head to head, J-Jack leads in nearly every category (QB rating, completion %, winning %, TD %, yds/attempt), except interception % and sack %.

Why not bring him in, at least to compete? The only reason I can think of is “intangibles.”

32. sluggo42 says:

Keep in mind,Quinn’s log of “stats” are derived from maybe 20 games? On a horrid team, whith a coach who didn’t like him, he sat out and missed out on early lessons.

Basically, quinn was a pretty decent college QB, who got off to a horrid nfl start. That had to mess with his head in a big way, and maybe a fresh start, knowingly behind rw as the starter, and being on a fantastic team will reprogram him to a solid back up player…

33. montanamike2 says:

I think that TJ drove me nuts because of his inconsistency and inability to throw the ball out of bounds when you’re 15-20 yards behind LOS and other times he’d nail a zinger in there and lead you to believe he finally got it. He left on bad terms so it’s unlikely he’ll be back, but i too feel a bit nervous about Quinn. He was so over hyped, i hope he’s learning from RW and will watch carefully his pre season games.

Isn’t it nice to be talking about backup QBs for a change?

35. MoSeahawk12 says:

Looks like some may get their wish. I’m on the hope not side of this. I saw enough the two years he was here. He killed way more plays than he made. Took us out of field goal range by taking sacks instead of throwing the ball away. Deer in headlights after seven years in league isn’t going to go away.

Grab the branch nate.

Wow MoSeahawk12!

Very interesting indeed.

If action Jackson accepts a role as back up perhaps this could be good.

38. Singularitarian says:

Please do it!!!

39. sluggo42 says:

Oh man,

Quinn’s facial expression must right now be the exact same as it was when the 20th pick went by and he was still undrafted 4 years ago… Haha

Well, strap Em on and may the best man win….com- Pete!!

40. raymaines says:

I don’t know diddly-poo about evaluating talent so I’ll leave that to the brain trust, but I’m all for upping the talent at every position on the team. T-Jack over Quinn at backup QB? Sure, why not? Tim Tebow’s little sister or Attila The Hun over BQ? Sure! Whatever makes the Seahawks a better team.

41. bbnate420 says:

Georgia the Peacemaker. Has a nice ring to it.

Chuck, don’t worry. I wasn’t going to debate PEDs again with you. I never was saying that the NFL didn’t consider it a PED. I also agree that the players should abide by the PED list, even if they or I don’t agree with it, because it can cause them to miss games and hurt their team. Maybe there was a miscommunication and you thought I was saying it was okay for them to ignore the policy. I think they should fight it through the NFLPA and legal system if they don’t like the list.

I was arguing with what you said about HGH being a PED, but we can let that die. There’s no further point in debating it. I believe the players should abide by the list. The one exception or grey area would be if there was a player that truly believed that they had ADD/ADHD and they were denied by the league. I believe, someone can correct me if I’m wrong, that the league requires players that want a prescription for Adderall to see a doctor of their choosing. At least I think they should be able to see 3 different doctors. One of the players’ choosing, one of the leagues’ choosing, and one that is independent and picked at random. A majority wins.