Morning links: Bennett offers versatility for Hawks

Post by Eric Williams on June 4, 2013 at 7:20 am with 46 Comments »
June 4, 2013 10:06 am
Seattle Seahawks' Michael Bennett (72) runs through a drill Monday, June 3, 2013, at an NFL football organized team activity in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
Seattle Seahawks’ Michael Bennett (72) runs through a drill Monday, June 3, 2013, at an NFL football organized team activity in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

Fifth-year pro Michael Bennett was lured to return to the Seattle Seahawks because of the familiarity of defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and good friend Red Bryant from his days at Texas A&M.

In my story today, Bennett explained the attraction of coming back at the Seahawks training facility.

“Obviously, it’s the atmosphere, the players, the coaching staff and the way they treat you,” Bennett said. “They treat you like a man as long as you act like a man, and I appreciate that. The game is fun here, so I love everything about this organization.”

With Chris Clemons (knee), Cliff Avril (foot) and Bruce Irvin (suspension) question marks heading into training camp, Bennett’s versatility and pass-rush skills will play an even larger role on Seattle’s defense. Bennett currently is working as the Leo defensive end with Seattle’s first-unit defense.

Quinn said that everyone on the defensive line will learn two positions. However, because of the 6-4, 275-pound Bennett’s versatility, he will learn three positions along the defensive line – the Leo defensive end on first and second downs, pass-rushing defensive tackle on third downs and also strong-side defensive end – Bryant’s position.

“When I saw him, I was most impressed with the way he can use his hands,” Quinn said of the first time Bennett joined Seattle in 2009. “So it was such a good thing to see him develop as a pass rusher, because he had good initial quickness and the strength to do that.”

Dave Boling of The News Tribune takes Marshawn Lynch to task for once again being a no-show at OTAs. Boling writes that rookie second-round selection Christine Michael benefitted from Lynch’s absence by getting more reps. Boling: “With a number of attention-getting plays in the offseason practice sessions, the second-round draft pick out of Texas A&M is making it easier to envision a future without star ball carrier Marshawn Lynch. Part of that is because Lynch has been mostly invisible in the present. Michael is getting a lot of carries while Lynch is … elsewhere.”

Danny O’Neil of 710 ESPN Seattle profiles backup tight end Sean McGrath, who could assume a larger role in Seattle’s offense with the season-ending injury to Anthony McCoy.

More O’Neil: He takes a closer look at Seattle’s depth issues at the Leo defensive end position.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes that cornerback Walter Thurmond’s play has stood out during OTA sessions.

More Farnsworth: He focuses on tight end Zach Miller’s ability to make one-handed catches in this practice report.

Bob Condotta of The Seattle Times says that reserve quarterback Brady Quinn is getting more comfortable in the Seahawks’ offense.

Joe Fortenbaugh of the National Football Post places the Seahawks in his Top 5 list of teams he’d like to see on HBO’s Hard Knocks. Don’t hold your breath.

Martha Kang of KPLU radio interviews Joseph Carnevale, the man apparently responsible for taking those photos from the top of the Space Needle and CenturyLink Field.

Check out the latest Real Robinson Report in the video below.

Hall of Fame defensive end Deacon Jones passed on Monday. He was 74 years old.

Morning links
  1. RDPoulsbo says:

Sorry Dave, but I disagree. OTAs are voluntary and you don’t get a whole lot from RBs in shorts, especially a vet like Lynch. These are voluntary practices, and the creep of voluntary workouts being quasi-mandatory is what led to some of the strange situations in the new CBA like practice facilities being unavailable to players in the offseason. Michael will benefit no doubt as a rookie getting extra reps, but lets not go overboard about the importance of OTAs.

I always appreciate Boling’s takes, especially during the season. But he tends to read a bit too much into OTAs. I remember his proclamation that Shaun Alexander would not be missed after Julius Jones’ first OTA camp. Once the pads come one, his views seem to sharpen. Basically, I’m agreeing with RDPoulsbo.

I’m still skeptical Bennett has the quickness to play the Leo position. I don’t question that they’ll have him on the weak side, but lining him up as wide as the Leo does requires speed I’m not sure he has. Can’t wait for camp to find out…

3. montanamike2 says:

I’m hoping this rookie class impresses me so Bennett will be more luxury after week 4. I know that’s not realistic but the more gems the better.
    RW wants many rings and he’s hungry, soon we’ll be at the promised land, soon.

4. RDPoulsbo says:

I’m just speculating, but my guess is Bennett will play more of a traditional weakside DE role if needed and only because of the injury/suspension situation there. Avril is a better fit, but he’s on the sidelines right now, so they have to go with who they have right now.

5. montanamike2 says:

With all the major season ending injuries in the OTA’s, I’m not sure that i even want Lynch here right now.

6. SideWalkHawk says:

Boling’s take seems a little dramatic. His piece is actually a really good description of CM’s skill set and mind set going into his first NFL season. Marshawn’s attendance at OTA’s is so last week, come Dave we’re over that bud.

7. Carlsonkid says:

Marshawn Lynch is the heart and soul of this offense . All the other pieces ( Harvin , Rice , Miller , Turbin et al ) are of course crucial ( I’m licking my chops at the prospect of Percy-Freakin’-Harvin in a Hawks uni ) , but make no mistake ; come September , Lynch is the catalyst that makes it all go . He’s the reason for 8 in the box , the reason RW can run a read-option , the reason Tate has single coverage downfield . A 2nd round pick that hasn’t proven squat yet is not going to supplant Beast Mode barring injury . Sherman said it best .. “We dont worry about #24 until September” .

Glad to see Michael get the reps – he needs them way more than Shawn …

8. Macabrevity says:

Stud RB missing OTA’s? Puh-lease…. Honestly, it’s only a benefit to the youth movement at the position. Save the wear and tear Marshawn, we need you later when it counts and we know you’ll be there.

Bennett at Leo? Looks to me like someone’s hand is close to the panic button!! Let’s see, big power DE on the weakside, fireplug on the strongside… and where exactly is the pass rush going to come from? I don’t like it, but I guess with our secondary we are probably the one team that can get away with giving opposing QB’s some extra time to make their reads.

How do we get so lucky in the draft the last four years?

Boling says of Michael.-

“But his physical gifts were so stunning, from his 40-yard dash time of 4.43 seconds (only .04 slower than Percy Harvin’s in 2009), to the 43-inch vertical leap (one inch lower than LeBron James), to the 27 bench reps of 225 pounds (four more than guard James Carpenter at his combine).
    It all seems to translate to football acts committed on the field.
    “He’s very quick, very quick – and sudden,” coach Pete Carroll said after the first day of rookie minicamp. “He didn’t have any trouble picking things up and understanding the system.”

How can anyone stop us with that three headed monster back there?

10. MoSeahawk12 says:

Enough of the Lynch bashing Dave. Voluntary workouts!! He was there last week and proved he’s in great shape and will be ready to go. Most running backs look awesome when nobody’s wearing pads or tackling. Non story. Maybe you and Brock should go get matching t-shirts made. No Lynch Money.
    Some of these “writers” need to find a real story to write about.

11. I actually find it a big deal that he isn’t here – could care less if he stands on the sidelines the whole time but I think he should be here with the rest of his team mates. He is our main Hammer. needs to show up and be a presence to show that he is “all in”

now, that said, doesn’t bother me a bit that he isn’t participating – how many years did LT add to his career by basically skipping every preseason?

If I were his team mate I would let him know that we missed his presence but also let him know we know he will bring it during the season.

12. SeventiesHawksFan says:

Walter Jones missed multiple training camps. Made no difference in his play. Same is likely true for Marshawn. I’m glad Michael got the reps. And could care less that Marshawn isn’t on the field right now. It’s a non-story.

13. DanielleMND says:

Unless we’re installing a new run offense, Marshawn isn’t missing anything.

14. surelyyoujest says:

I’ll take a bit of a contrary position. Why single out certain players for special treatment ? Why is it ok for ML to skip OTA’s but not Russell Okung, or ET, or Mebane ? Isn’t that contrary to the ‘good of the Team’ philosophy ?

In an “always compete” world, skipping workouts…..voluntary or otherwise….sends a message. I don’t need to compete. I’m special. You a-holes need to work out together, but not me. It’s ok if I hang elsewhere. See ya when I “get paid” to be here.

Don’t get me wrong, I love ML. Glad he’s on our Team. I just don’t subscribe to special rules. Now, give the optionality of these workouts, there isn’t much a coach can do about it so Petey’s hands are tied. He can’t complain about it even if he wanted to, but rest assured….he wants ML there with everyone else. Is he sweating it ? Heck no. Am I sweating it ? Of course not.

But it does create a heirarchy of players, with some more important than others. Set a good example ML. Be a role model. DUI’s aside that is.

15. SeventiesHawksFan says:

surelyoujest,

“But it does create a heirarchy of players, with some more important than others.”

This is true of any competitive professional team. And it’s even worse in the NBA where one impact player in his prime(Lebron, Duncan, Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, etc.) will singlehandedly be the difference maker between rings and never making it past the first round.

Marshawn has earned the right, through HOW HE PLAYS to not be at a voluntary OTA. There are few other players on the team about whom I’d be willing to say that. Maybe Sherman or ET. But that’s about it.

And I’d rather he not be on the field at all if it saves his body and removes the possibility of injury. Or even if he believes he can improve and keep himself in better shape through an alternate conditioning and practice regimen.

If it were very good players like Golden Tate or Doug Baldwin who were missing these OTA’s, I’d be less than pleased about it. Because they’re not good enough to not be on the field and missing valuable reps and practice time with the offense.

Any maybe that’s not ‘fair’. But just the same, I’m not worried that MW not being there costs the team ANYTHING. AT ALL. Whereas with most other players I’d conclude that their absence costs both the team and the players.

It’s not ‘fair’. But I do think it’s rational, insofar as the outcomes of actual NFL games or team continuity and chemistry are not going changed by MW’s missing these practices.

There is too, the possibility Lynch told Carroll he wouldn’t be here, for whatever reason.

17. “Let’s see, big power DE on the weakside, fireplug on the strongside… and where exactly is the pass rush going to come from? I don’t like it, but I guess with our secondary we are probably the one team that can get away with giving opposing QB’s some extra time to make their reads.”

Well, although it may not seem to make much sense aesthetically the same could be said about Carroll’s entire defensive scheme from the moment he got here, and yet he is steadily making it work. Personally, I am excited to see the pieces in place and how it all moves together. The OTA’s are barely just enough of a tease, but not until T.C. and the preseason will we get more of an in depth look at these schematic wrinkles being added. Sounds like Pete and Dan have some tricks up their sleeves. They’ve identified certain traits in certain players and now it sounds like the mission is to continue to find different ways in which these guys can all be successful.

You gotta shake things up in this league on almost a yearly basis; whether it’s changing blitz packages, or tweaking the scheme or its personnel slightly – it all contributes towards the idea of keeping the enemy guessing. Because in this league the opponent starts to track your tendencies very quickly, and even quicker when you are a successful team. They want to know what it is you’re doing; why you’re doing it, how you’re doing it, etc.

18. I think RW should walk out – he might get hit and break a knee, send him home.

19. surelyyoujest says:

“I think RW should walk out

20. surelyyoujest says:

Not sure what happened with that post….got truncated.

Exactly xcman, where does it end ?

Again, We have to accept a few knuckleheads on this team that have freak ability.
    Lynch is one of them. So long as we have smart players like RW, Baldwin, Unger, Okung, Rice, Tate, Harvin, Turbin, Thomas, ect…

No worries here!

22. doubledink says:

Georgia,
    You have just added your name to the long list of people who have pissed off Richard Sherman.

23. Sekolah says:

As for Lynch.. *yawn* not even really concerned about it. I just hope that when he sleeps at night that he’s got that football close and tight to him, even when he’s with his woman, because those fumbles absolutely must end. But in a very real and appreciative way I say give Marshawn as much time as he needs to just take it easy during these OTA’s. Let him rejuvenate a bit, if that’s what he needs.

The RB position in the NFL has to be the most physically violent one to play. Yes, we all know that, right? Do you really know though? Know what it’s like to get hit by cars, repeatedly, for 60 minutes? This is Marshawn’s life. And by the time he steps away from this game the likelihood is that his body will have to endure long term physical effects from his playing days.

doubledink- Sherman is at his best when he is pissed so no biggie. Besides Sherman is our,(MVK) most valuable knucklehead.Lol.

25. Who cares about Lynch, what was he doing last year at this time. Oh my god, everyone is talking superbowl and Seattle is finally getting credit, but oh no, let’s try and make something out of nothing. Dude is just trying to create work for himself, shameful. Let’s throw a negative vibe out there, wow, is he even a Hawk fan, who does that.

26. Oldslow says:

These OTA’s are mostly a benefit to the rookies who are trying to learn the team’s schemes. The presence of the vets is mostly symbolic. Lynch made an appearance which shows that he is not expressing a disenchantment with the team.

27. raymaines says:

I have trouble reconciling that we all love RW’s work ethic, are all OK with ML skipping a “team” activity, and haven’t mentioned Percy Harvin’s attendance one way or the other. RW wants to learn everything, ML doesn’t need to learn anything, and PH isn’t bothering to learn anything just yet. It’s all good though.

28. bbnate420 says:

How has Harvin not bothered to learn anything just yet? You know he’s at the OTAs, right?

New and young players like Harvin and RW need/will benefit from the OTAs. They need to learn or expand their knowledge of the offense. Lynch does not. It’s a false equivalency.

And Lynch isn’t special because he chooses to miss some of the OTAs, though he is a special player. They are VOLUNTARY. Any player can choose to not attend. And if you think that players are all treated the same then you are pretty naive in that respect. Do you think RW would’ve been released if he was arrested for a DUI, even with Portis’ prior history? Well, Portis was kicked to the curb in a heart beat. I would submit that his skill level was a major factor.

29. bbnate420 says:

BTW, I really hope that Bennett can make it through the year with that shoulder. I think he will be very important to the defense. Obviously more so with the injuries/suspension along the D-line.

30. bbnate420 says:

Somewhat off subject, but I’d like the Hawks try and convince John Abraham to come here for approx. 2.3 mil. It seems from reports that he’s holding out for more than that from a team, especially after the Freeney signing, but he may have to settle for something close to that. I say approx. 2.3 mil because that’s what they would save by releasing Chris Clemons. I’m 99% sure that Clemons won’t be here in 2014 anyways, unless he severely reduces his salary. I’d rather have Abraham than Clemons in 2013 due to Clemons’ injury.

31. I still want to see the options that the coaching staff – offensively and defensively – will be able to throw out there. clearly we will have a standard base set that we use alot. but for those special occasions, say against a division rival at a critical point in the 2nd half, it could be REALLY fun to watch

32. nate – I agree about Abraham/Clem for ’13.

33. judah27 says:

After the ‘lovefest’ the other day, I couldn’t resist this:

34. sluggo42 says:

ML not being here is actually good, less wear and tear, and the coaches get to drool over christin.
    He has already proven everything and gains very little to be here, and doesn’t get injured either.

35. bird_spit says:

Marshawn needs to not do anything that jeopardizes his season. He is likely on his last contract, unless he miraculously extends his career. I have my doubts. He needs to rest/relax/workout with his comrades in oak town. He takes major, major punishment during the season. Cm will see special teams duty at best… Mand team activities around the corner…

I forgot all about the most important Seahawks news yesterday.

I was thirteen when this happened and had to say goodbye to my favorite team at the time the Oakland Raiders. Sorry Eric.

Does anyone else have memories, or stories of this time.

37. chuck_easton says:

bird_spit,

Agreed. Not only is Lynch likely on his last contract he very likely won’t see the last year of this contract in 2015 when his salary and cap hit jump to around 8 million. Too much to pay for an older RB when it appears the next generation was drafted this year.

38. chuck_easton says:

Good memory Georgia. I was 10 when the announcement was made. I still remember the ‘name the team’ contest in 75. Being only 12 at the time I entered the name Knights. Hey, to a twelve year old the Idea of the Knights playing in their Kingdome sounded funny and cool.

39. chuck_easton says:

But really Georgia? The Raiders? Sorry Eric.

Brings up a good off topic discussion for us old timers who still remember that Paul McCartney was in a different band before he formed Wings with his wife Linda.

Who was your favorite team before the Seahawks entered the world?

Mine was the Vikings. My mom was born in Minnesota and as a kid I was introduced to the game watching Fran Tarkenton running around like a chicken being chased by a pack of foxes.

That’s one of the reasons I loved Zorn in Seattle, and Wilson now. Their scrambling style reminded me of my first NFL hero.

40. sluggo42 says:

Pete Carroll is the 15th rated coach?

That had to be the dumbest list I’ve ever seen, with Harbarf at 2?

41. montanamike2 says:

Sluggo- that’s just ridiculous.

42. doubledink says:

chuck,
    The LA Rams were my team back when George Allen was their coach. We suffered through the Tommy Protho years til Carol Rosenbloom fired him. Then they hired this new coach nobody heard of. The papers described it, “When the limo pulled up, nobody got out.” It was Chuck Knox. When he left for Buffalo my interest waned and I moved to Washington. When Knox arrived in 83 I knew the Hawks would start winning and they became my team. But at the time i was probably more of a Knox fan than a Hawks fan. That changed in one year.

Chuck,
    the Vikings were a very close second to the Raiders for me as my mom was also born in Minnesota,( Detroit lakes area ).

Seeing both my favorite teams play in the Super Bowl,( against each other ) was a dream come true back then.

44. doubledink says:

I too had a soft spot for the Vikings. I always rooted for them except against my Rams. And I still get to hate the Niners!
    RIP Deacon Jones.

45. Born in 1976 along with the Seahawks, so I got no other team. I was raised in the Sacramento valley, my whole family tried to convince me to be a 49ers fan, but I just always rooted for whoever they played to be contrarian… One of my older cousins had season tickets and he took me to a game. November 25, 1985 (My wife to be turned 6 on that day, I was 9. I actually took it as a sign that she was “the one” later in life, her being born on the same day as my Seahawks fandom). We lost, it was fairly ugly, but that damn #80 never gave up, he was a receiver like me (in pop warner – rep the Colusa County Cowboys!). I never rooted for another team again… I begged for that Seahawks bike uniform outfit for Christmas that year… Sears didn’t sell the Seahawks of course, but my dad found a way – one month later it was official, best Christmas ever!!

46. doubledink says:

Sac,
    Sears isn’t the only retailer to ignore the Seahawks. I was at the Pro Football Hall of Fame a month ago and couldn’t find a Seahawks jersey in the entire pro shop. One hat and a few tee shirts, shorts and polos. Pretty disgusting.