Carroll: Carpenter had arthroscopic surgery

Post by Eric Williams on June 3, 2013 at 6:23 pm with 12 Comments »
June 3, 2013 6:23 pm
Seattle Seahawks guard James Carpenter walks off the field Monday, May 20, 2013, following an NFL football Organized Team Activity workout in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said during an interview with 710 ESPN Seattle that offensive lineman James Carpenter had arthroscopic surgery over a month ago.

Although Carroll did not specifically state it, it is presumed that Carpenter had work done on his surgically repaired knee.

Listen to the conversation here, which begins about 15 minutes in.

“Carp is on the road back,” Carroll said. “He had a minor, cleanup-surgery done about five, six weeks ago that was extremely successful. I just talked with him this morning. He feels great. He’s making all of the normal progress he’s supposed to make. He’s going to be battling for us.”

Carroll went on to say that Carpenter is a bigger, more dynamic athlete than anyone on the roster at the guard spot, which shows up on the tape.

“He’ll roll right through guys,” Carroll said. “So when we get Carp back, that’s going to be a big deal for us.”

A first round selection for Seattle in the 2011 draft, Carpenter re-injured his surgically repaired knee during the opening series against Chicago last December, and was placed on reserve/non-football list on Dec. 4, 2012.

Carpenter, 24, made an impressive recovery from ACL reconstructive knee surgery that took place in December of 2011 after the University of Alabama product injured his knee in practice his rookie season.

Carpenter sat out the first three games of 2012 before taking the starting lineup at left guard at St. Louis. However, Carpenter never looked like his knee was 100 percent in six starts at left guard for Seattle last season. He also was inactive for two games last season due to concussion-like symptoms.

Carpenter has not participated in any on-field practices during the team’s offseason practices. But when healthy, Carpenter’s slated to start at left guard next to left tackle Russell Okung.

Injuries
  1. jboard1 says:

Sure hope this is not another set back for the big fella

2. It’s now or never…

3. Ryanb3069 says:

I hope he doesn’t share the same fate as Tubbs

4. sluggo42 says:

Tuff to carry that much weight….

5. Skavage says:

Let’s hope his first couple years of injuries works out like Russell’s and he’s a Pro Bowler in year 3. Or better yet All-Pro. :)

6. jawpeace says:

Ryanb…. I had the exact thought you did and I was going to post it too then I saw you already did that.

7. bbnate420 says:

Eric, do we know he hasn’t taken part in an on-field off-season practice or have we just not seen him on days open to the media?

Hey, it could be worse. We could have Gabe Carimi. ;-)

“He’ll roll right through guys,”? I don’t like the sound of that, lol.

I know pictures don’t always tell the whole story but looking at this one of Carp up above tells me he will have a hard time making it on the field,( especially with the knee injury ) much less making a big impact consistently in a game, and I would be very surprised if he could ever finish a game in his condition.
    That’s just way too big,(imo) for a lineman to make it through a game on a gimpy knee. I hope I’m wrong.

9. Not expecting much from this guy, ever. Hope I’m wrong though.

10. FairbanksDoug says:

Carroll seems to be expecting a lot out of him, I kind like the way Carroll describes him. There are so many here on this blog that know more about schemes and crap then I do, but I have to to put Carroll a tad higher then that, I just love the idea that Carroll and Schneider are both excited about his return, I trust in Carroll (minus politics). I trust in Schneider. Enough said!

11. Bbnate420: They’ve kept Carpenter out of any on-field activities. The team wants to make sure he’s healthy for the beginning of training camp. He might do some stuff next week if he’s cleared.

12. bbnate420 says: