Morning links: Red’s revenge

Post by Eric Williams on May 28, 2013 at 7:04 am with 31 Comments »
May 28, 2013 7:06 am
Carolina Panthers' DeAngelo Williams (34) runs as Seattle Seahawks' Red Bryant (79) defends during the second quarter of an NFL football game in Charlotte, N.C., Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012. (AP Photo/Bob Leverone)
Carolina Panthers’ DeAngelo Williams (34) runs as Seattle Seahawks’ Red Bryant (79) defends during the second quarter of an NFL football game in Charlotte, N.C., Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012. (AP Photo/Bob Leverone)

In my story today, coming off the heels of a 2012 season in which he was slowed by a plantar fascia foot injury, Seattle Seahawks defensive end Red Bryant says he’s healthy and ready to return to being impact player on defense.

Bryant said the return of Dan Quinn to the team as defensive coordinator should help better use his skill set as a run-stuffing defensive end on the edge of Seattle’s defense.

“It’s been great getting DQ (Dan Quinn) back because there’s familiarity there,” Bryant said. “There’s just some subtle changes in terms of how he’s going to play me. He’s basically putting me back to where I’m going to be on the tackle the majority of the time, in a phone booth and just getting back to the basics of playing heavy on a guy and just being disruptive.”

Also, the Seahawks will hold an OTA practice that is open to reporters today, so check back this afternoon for a practice report.

Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor tells Alex Marvez and Jim Miller of SiriusXM NFL Radio that Seattle had a team meeting to address the reoccurring PED issues. “The vets, we put a meeting together to talk to the guys about not making the same mistakes over and over,” Chancellor said. Listen to Chancellor in the audio below. Marvez also has more from the interview here.

Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com breaks down Russell Wilson’s strengths and weaknesses. Wilson was ranked No. 5 in the league web site’s breakdown of the top 10 quarterbacks 25 years old or younger.

LaDainian Tomlinson and Brian Baldinger of the NFL Network argue whether they would want to start a franchise with Cam Newton or Russell Wilson in this video link. Both chose Cam. And both chose wrong, in my humble opinion.

ESPN’s John Clayton believes that Marshawn Lynch could have a slight drop in production after running for a career-high 1,590 yards last season.

Dan Brugler of NFLDraftScout.com lists Seahawks receiver Matt Austin as an unheralded rookie who could make some noise in an NFL camp.

Morning links

I would be surprised to see Quinn move Red inside as often as Bradley had him last season. I imagine that speaks a bit to what Red is referring to above.

2. NFL.com seems to have ranked Luck, RGIII, Kaepernick and Cam Newton ahead of Wilson. But at least Rosenthal had this to say:

“There is very little gap between the top player on the list and Wilson at No. 5. … Everything feels possible when it comes to Wilson’s career, with virtually no ceiling to what he can accomplish. Seahawks fans believe they have the quarterback that will take them to the promised land. They should. The Seahawks organization, only a year removed from giving good money to Matt Flynn, has a quarterback that can be in the mix for league MVPs.”

3. I wish Chancellor would have just had the meeting and not mentioned it to the press. No win there

4. ChrisHolmes says:

“I wish Chancellor would have just had the meeting and not mentioned it to the press. No win there”

Actually, there is a win there. Now the world knows they had the meeting – it’s added pressure on the guys to do the right thing.

I like that Kam said that. It lets us fans know that the players are trying to take a leadership role here to fix this issue – that they recognize it and that not everyone on the team is okay with it. I like seeing it; there’s some leadership happening and I like that.

5. ChrisHolmes says:

I’d rank ‘em:

1) Wilson
    2) Luck
    3) RG III
    4) Kaepernick
    5) A turkey sandwich
    6) Newton

On second thought, that’s probably too high for Newton.

6. jboard1 says:

Agreed with you Chris on the Kam statements.

Also, is there bacon on that turkey sandwich? If so, that moves him above Kaepernick too…

7. Personal bias aside, Kaepernick is not a bad QB. He’s pretty accurate. Has a CANNON for an arm and can MOVE. Is he better than Russ? Well, he threw more last year so there’s more data to look at. I think Wilson is the better leader overall. Looking forward to this season if they let him continue to grow and be the QB we all want to see.

As far as the Cam arguement. I saw the tease over the weekend on NFL Network. I have no reluctance in picking Wilson over Newton 11 times out of 10. Simple reason: when Newton has a bad play or things aren’t going his way he pouts and throws a tantrum. This is documented and widely observed. What does Wilson do? He grabs the photos, talks to his coaches and receivers and makes sure he doesn’t do it again. Who do you want in the huddle with you? Cam may be a great athlete playing QB. (See also: Vick, Micheal) but the position is about leadership (See also: Montana, Joe)

8. I think Kaep is about as scary a young QB to defend as there is in the league. It’s partisan bias (not that I’m above that sometimes), to think otherwise. Only thing lacking right now is sample size – I kept waiting for him to falter b/c he’s so inexperienced, etc., but it really didn’t happen much last year. Crazy athletic. Not that I’d trade our guy for him, but I doubt that many SF fans would make the swap they other way either.

9. SeventiesHawksFan says:

I don’t care where Rosenthal ranks RW. For our team, I’d take him over all of the other QB’s listed. And without hesitation.

I also happen to think that what Rosenthal knocks RW for, his willingness to hold the ball to make something happen, is one of his biggest strengths and had a significant contribution to his progress and development as last season wore on.

Yes, there are times when we took a sack early in the season, but I also don’t think that RW’s pocket awareness and ability to make things happen on a broken play would have come this far without his having tested where exactly are the limits of how long he can hold the ball, when to move out of the pocket, when to run, etc.

And yes, not seeing wide open receivers downfield is probably one of the more glaring irritations upon review of RW’s 2011 body of work. But so many of those were when he was also moving around to avoid a sack, the play was already broken, him not knowing where to look.

Which is not mere excuse making on Wilson’s behalf. That he was still alive and on his feet to even have the opportunity to have a receiver come open twenty-five yards downfield four to seven seconds after the snap is already something.

And I suspect that greater downfield vision and awareness will be another element that is added to his game.

We have already seen that Wilson’s improvisational skills and willingness to hold the ball to see what happens resulted in fewer and fewer sacks and busted plays as the season wore on. And this includes the Redskins playoff games, where Haslett’s wanton blitzing was relentless. And even the end of season Rams game, where the pressure and blitzing from their D-line was quite simply impressive and would be enough to force any veteran QB into a few mistakes and poor decisions.

Anyhow, I think Rosenthal has it backwards on RW as far as his weaknesses go and how the very thing he has criticized him fir has been parlayed in much greater awareness of how to evade pressure, handle the blitz, deliver from the pocket, when to run . . . and most notably the improbable play where something is created out of nothing and he makes a throw or run which very few QB’s in the league could ever hope to pull off at any time.

10. I too, think Kap is a good QB, and if i were a 9er fan i would be stoked about him. I kept waiting for him to falter last season, but obviously never really saw it happen. That being said, I think he is a huge dbag. As an outsider looking in, he needs to stop kissing his bicep and cruising in his expensive sports car. I’d much rather have the shorter, more selfless QB on our side, who is more worried about studying and giving back to the less fortunate, then he is about posing in a Jag while slobbering all over his muscles. It will be interesting to see the comparisons over the years between these two

11. SeventiesHawksFan says:

pdway,

Agree with you on Kap. His biggest weakness seems so far to be that he does not progress very well through his reads to second and third options if his hot target is covered (Crabtree three plays in a row to lose it baby!). The rest of his skillset is scary impressive though. Thank god he doesn’t have RW’s awareness and smarts.

12. SeventiesHawksFan says:

Or his humility and temperament.

13. “Actually, there is a win there. Now the world knows they had the meeting – it’s added pressure on the guys to do the right thing”

Actually it just keeps this in the press. Now it is the main story on most web sites. It makes it sound as if the problem is bigger than most think, and most think it is big.

Have the meeting, kick some ass, set the expectation. Take certain individuals aside and light them up.

Now Pete could come out and say the next guy that does it is suspended for the year without pay, or cut. Now that would be newsworthy.

14. “As an outsider looking in, he needs to stop kissing his bicep and cruising in his expensive sports car. I’d much rather have the shorter, more selfless QB on our side, who is more worried about studying and giving back to the less fortunate, then he is about posing in a Jag while slobbering all over his muscles.”

You know what – totally agree with that. I’ve kind of learned to live with sports stars I support, or music stars I like, being less than great human beings, but it is sure a nice thing to be able to also respect the guy outside his playing field. Not too bad for a 3rd round pick . . . .

15. bbnate420 says:

PC couldn’t just unilaterally suspend someone for a year without pay, that would violate the CBA. He could cut them.

I’m no fan of Kaepernick, but I’m not sure that a 25 year old posing with his Jag and slobbering over his muscles makes him a bad guy. A douche maybe.

16. I’ll just rank RW #1 and not bother ranking anyone else on a list.

17. hawkfan777 says:

They are looking at Wilson’s full body of work which is the 2012 season. He was clearly a different QB the second half of 2012. RW continued to improve as the year progressed and Luck and RG3 declined if anything in the second half of the year. I believe Wilson will statistically be much better in 2013.

18. Sometimes I would like to ask the coaches what they are thinking. The idea of putting Red over the TE instead of the OT makes sense to me; with his size advantage Red should be able to dominate the TE and seal the edge. Putting Red over the OT is much more even match-up.

Either way, I hope Red has a better year health and production wise.

I would take RW over Newton any day.

19. I agree with Hawkfan777….. many of these rankings or ‘analysis’ compare RW’s full season to others. He really coached and played totally different at the end of the season.

20. Macabrevity says:

Face it guys, RW is just too short to be in the top 5. And Cam is so dang tall…

21. Scam Newton is a physical specimen. Too bad that’s all he really is. The mental aspect of the QB position, and Scam’s inability to learn, will always be his downfall. Gotta be smart to play QB and Luck, RGIII, and RW have forgotten more things than Scam Newton will ever learn.

Plus, any “franchise” QB that scores and does the superman celebration with his team down 21 points in the 4th quarter is NOT somebody I’d want as the face of my franchise.

RW over Cam “The Scam” Newton each and every time. Not even close.

22. CDHawkFan says:

Very glad to have RW as our QB for the next 12+ years…but, but, but.

I have gone back and watched all of the games from last year, some multiple times and I have to admit that I worry that we (as a group) are building RW more than he showed.

Should we be happy, yes, is he a good/great QB, yes, will be get better, yes, but I saw a lot (more than I remember, or is that a Roger C. ‘misremembered’) mistakes, a bit of luck (which happens) and areas in need of improvement. You might say every QB does, but some on this blog think he is already ‘there’.

There is a lot to love about the guy and I wouldn’t trade him for anyone, so before you bash me, go back and watch the games so its not an emotional homer reaction, I think we have built him up more than we should have.

23. hawkdawg says:

RW is gonna have to do it year after year before he gets the kind of props the others do. As a shrimp, he’s got the deck stacked against him as a matter of perception.

He’ll just have to make it impossible not to give him the credit he deserves. He is used to this position.

24. bbnate420 says:

How dare you, CDHawk. Don’t you know that RW defecates gold bricks?

25. trout_hound says:

Nice to see Beast Mode is back at OTA’s today, that’s a bonus. Hope no one picks up McCoy so we can get him on IR. Honestly, my biggest concern right now is how our defense adjusts to the loss of Gus Bradley. I know Quinn is a good position coach, but how well can he lead the whole D?

That’s a fair concern, but Carroll was so closely involved in the defense that I really don;t think they’re be an issue there.

27. slicktoxic says:

I think that the reason why a lot of us have put RW up on that (deserved) pedestal…..is because he lives and breathes football. Combine that with his skills, intelligence, and desire to win….and I don’t think it’s too outrageous to expect big things this year.
    (Plus we’ve been a very QB starved franchise in, like forever!!)

28. trout_hound says:

I agree somewhat, Duke. I know it’s Pete’s defensive scheme, but I am thinking about that personality of getting the defense fired up to play, as well as making the right calls with personnel, coverage, and blitzes throughout a game.
    I’m expecting Quinn will do fine, but since it’s a bit of an unknown, its just a concern.

29. sluggo42 says:

Cam is 6-5 in height and RW is 6-5 in brains
    RW is 5-11 in height, and Cam is 4-8 in brains

RW wins the stats

30. raymaines says:

I too am surprised that Cam Newton is listed ahead of RW, but I really like Luck, RG3 and Kaperwhatever.