Report: 49ers’ Crabtree suffers torn Achilles

Post by Eric Williams on May 22, 2013 at 11:02 am with 30 Comments »
May 22, 2013 11:02 am
San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree (15) celebrates with quarterback Colin Kaepernick (7) after scoring on a 10-yard touchdown reception against the Chicago Bears during the third quarter of an NFL football game in San Francisco, Monday, Nov. 19, 2012. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

Mike Garafolo of USA Today reports that San Francisco’s No. 1 receiver Michael Crabtree suffered a torn Achilles during OTA’s on Tuesday, which means it will be an uphill climb for him to return to the field for the upcoming season.

If true, this is a huge blow to the 49ers’ chances of making another run to the Super Bowl. San Francisco also signed Anquan Boldin in free agency, and has Mario Manningham returning from an ACL knee injury suffered against Seattle last December.

Last year’s first round selection A.J. Jenkins figures to factor into the mix, as well as former Seattle receiver Ricardo Lockette.

The 49ers also drafted elusive playmaker Quinton Patton in the fourth round of this year’s draft.

But depth at receiver is now a serious issue for San Francisco.

General Seahawks
  1. Sorry to jump the gun, Eric! That was fast.

The Niners are still stacked at the WR position, with Boldin and Manningham for vets, and Jenkins and Patton as young guys. Lockette? Who knows what that dude will produce.

But Boldin is aging, and Manningham is coming off a serious injury, and Jenkins did nothing at all as a rookie (though he might just take off this year). No one knows what Patton will contribute, but I for one am betting he’s pretty productive. This kid is a football player.

So while they have numbers there, they just lost their go-to guy. Thats bound to hurt.

2. Hate the Niners, hate their coach w/a special level of intensity, but this still sucks. Never like to see guys go down to serious injury, and there is something about beating a team at full strength. Hopefully he fully recovers.

3. hawkfan777 says:

My first thought when reading something like that is it will help the Hawks but then the reality kicks in that a guys career is at jeopardy. That part sucks. I hate to see a guy lose a season or more because of a drill in voluntary OTA’s.

4. I feel bad for Crabtree, would love to beat the 49ers again with him playing.

5. Carlsonkid says:

That is a HUGE blow to that team ! There’s no way he comes back from that this season . And yes , it could actually be career threatening , which it hopefully is not .

6. Could be detrimental to the development of their young signal caller as well. He was huge for them coming down the stretch when Kaepernick took over the reins. Boldin really is too slow to be considered a #1 WR anymore. Their young guys will need to develop quickly to contend for this division and to not set Kaep back.
    I was predicting a bit of a backslide in Kaep’s performance with teams having more time to scout that offense, but this definitely has the potential to aide in the backslide. He and the WRs will have plenty of time to work together at least.

7. Maybe this is a good time for him to hold out?

8. sluggo42 says:

While I feel sorry for the dude, simply on his personal well being, I have no problem with him being out for a bit. We won’t be at full strength when we play them due to an injury in Clem. Every team has injuries, it’s part of what dictates how the season plays out for every team.

Which injury hurts their team more? Clem or crab? It hurts both teams hard. What’s our saying? Next man up. This is where the difference is. If our guys step up higher to soften the blow at DE, then advantage to us.

Ask the redskins how RG3’s injury affected their season.

It’s one of the ugly factors that decide who dances the last dance… Nobody said football is pretty, and there is no crying in football…

9. The 49ers have had an incredible run of good health over the past couple of years. I don’t want to say that they are due… but they are due.

10. They are due. It’s part of the game. I don’t care. Did fans of other teams piss and moan when we lost Nate Odoms after he played some basketball and tore his ACL?

11. wallinator says:

Talkin’ Seahawks with Eric Williams On the Double w The Double S Xpress check out Eric’s interview OnDemand at http://double-s-xpress.com/shows.html On the Double w The Double S Xpress & Jon Kitna as well on Show #2!!

12. Bobbyk–WOw, Odomes is a blast from the past. Dude hurt himself two years in a row, never even played for us as far as I know. Definitely a bummer. Reggie Barrett got his knee ate by Husky Stadium too, and he was looking like a really good BIG possession receiver too.

Losing Tatupu to his first major injury was a big blow for us, and though no one knew it at the time, it signaled the end of the Tatupu we all knew and loved through his first three years here. Guy was a shoe-in for HOF until the injuries decimated him.

I still feel for Crabtree and I think it sucks. I wanted to beat the Whiners with them at full strength.

13. Losing Darrel Jackson derailed our offense on several occasions, and was the tipping point in the SB. The guy had 5 catches in one quarter, then nothing as he aggravated his decaying knee.

14. I heard Crabtree’s injury was due to lack of focus and concentration during team drills. Maybe he should have been taking Adderall.

15. Ewalters7354 says:

Who cares if Crabtree is hurt? Call me wrong but I don’t! Remember Patrick Willis broke Matt’s ribs? Whichb impacted the rest of the season.

STTBM, we’ll see just how stacked they really are.Mannigham is still recovering, Jenkins is not promised to just blow it up, Patton hasn’t even been through training camp.So unless Boldin is Mr Magic, they’re screwed.Period.

16. The last time the Steelers won the SB they played with 20 of their 22 starters. Injuries are part of the game. That’s the way it is. If you get hurt less, you probably win… Besides last year, I’m used to being on the wrong end of that…

17. “don’t” get hurt…

18. OrrObb – lol!

I’m not crying for the Niners. They’re stacked with talent. Crabtree is their best young WR though. This will hurt. I’m fine with that.

And are you guys imagining this — Brandon Browner covering Anquan Boldin? Talk about physical. That’s gonna look like a wrestling match!

19. sluggo42 says:

Browner can wrestle with Harper all summer long to get ready, but I don’t see Boldin taking Browner in the cage

20. pabuwal says:

Huge loss for the 49ers. Post snap, Kaepernick was pretty much a one read QB with his primary targets either Crabetree or Davis. Those 2 did a tremendous job of winning their matchups which in turn disguised Kaepernick’s massive deficiency. Boldin won’t be anywhere near as effective as Crabtree was and I am assuming Kapernick won’t suddenly be able to get back there and start looking for his second and third options.

21. 5,4,3,2,1,,,, Paging Mr. Moss, Randy Moss to the gold curtesy phone.

22. Southendzone says:

49’ers will be OK, Crabtree choked in the superbowl anyways and they picked up Boldin who stepped up big-time in the superbowl.

23. Ewalters–They are stacked with high picks and a couple vets, but as I said, Manningham is coming off a major injury, Boldin is old, Jenkins has yet to show he can do anything, and Patton is a rookie. Numbers dont necessarily mean quality.

What the hell does Willis–a LB–giving Hass a legal but dirty hit years ago have to do with Crabtree tearing his achilles at OTA’s?!

Thats pretty grim to say he “deserves it” because of something someone else wearing the uni did years ago. Thats the kind of attitude I despise and expect to see from loser fans like the Raiders, Niners, and Steelers, not Seahawks fans.

24. No offense Eric, Ive met too many asshat Raiders fans and too few classy ones not to take a poke every now and then.

25. doubledink says:

Sluggo, Boldin could get an advantage over Browner if he tripped him with his walker…

26. sluggo42 says:

Haha, trip him with his walker….

I don’t think he is quite that slow dubdink, but I agree with the concept for sure. But I doubt he has a lot of success getting away from browners jam at the line. But he is also a crafty vet, and he is pretty strong, and he was the Super Bowl star.
    It will be a great matchup to watch for sure.

27. Ewalters7354 says:

Ummm I never said he deserved to get injured.I said I don’t feel bad for him.When Hass got hurt it impacted the teams season.Was making the same point about how Crabtree being hurt will do the same.You seem to be too grumpy to talk to sir so I’ll just back off.

28. bbnate420 says:

STTBM, I was going to argue that they aren’t stacked anymore, but you listed all of the reasons I would say they aren’t in your next paragraph. Time will tell. They certainly have a lot of question marks at WR. Sound like any team you know going into 2012?

29. Sekolah says:

I certainly wouldn’t use the name “Manningham” in almost any context which involved the word “stacked”. He had back to back solid seasons while playing in the Giants’ system, but he’s mainly just a speed guy, and before he tore his ACL in that game in Seattle, Jeremy Lane was shutting him down.

Boldin could be in for a long season. He’s an awesome WR, but when defenses only have to focus on him you’ve got problems.

Ricardo Lockette is soft. That’s just my opinion, but I think it’s one of the reasons he’s not in Seattle anymore. Kearse basically beat him out of a roster spot as a rookie, and Kearse still has a lot of growing to do. Lockette is all about speed – nothing else.

30. EWalters–NOt grumpy, just took your comment different than you meant it. That happens with only the printed word. We’re good dude.

bbnate–Yeah, that was my point. Their WR corps is now a huge question mark, but they have been adding talent like crazy and it could turn out pretty well for them. Hard to say at this point, with every player a question mark.

Sekolah–I figured Manningham would struggle a bit once he left the Giants, but I didnt think he would completely disappear. Still, he’s got the talent if he can recover from his knee injury.