Morning links: Deflating news on Hawks has columnist questioning prediction of perfect season

Post by Eric Williams on May 22, 2013 at 7:30 am with 42 Comments »
May 22, 2013 7:34 am
Seattle Seahawks' Bruce Irvin (51) leaves the field Monday, May 20, 2013, after during an NFL football organized team activity workout in Renton, Wash. The team announced last Friday that Irvin had been suspended for the first four games of the upcoming 2013 season after testing positive for performance enhancing substances. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)
Seattle Seahawks’ Bruce Irvin (51) leaves the field Monday, May 20, 2013, after during an NFL football organized team activity workout in Renton, Wash. The team announced last Friday that Irvin had been suspended for the first four games of the upcoming 2013 season after testing positive for performance enhancing substances. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Jim Moore of 710 ESPN Seattle boldly predicted that the Seattle Seahawks will finish 19-0 and win the franchise’s first Super Bowl in the upcoming season.

However, Bruce Irvin’s four-game suspension and Cliff Avril’s foot injury has Moore waffling.

Moore: “Unless I’m mistaken, the Seahawks in their first four games will have only one true pass-rushing defensive end in the currently sore-footed Avril. After tearing his ACL in the playoff game at Washington, Chris Clemons likely won’t be available. Neither will Greg Scruggs, who recently tore his ACL.

Maybe Bennett, the hybrid defensive tackle/end, can fill in. Maybe converted linebackers Malcolm Smith and Mike Morgan can, too.

But these are red flags. Forget about an unbeaten season; what about overtaking the 49ers in the NFC West?

For that to happen, the margin of error is slim, and Irvin’s mistake doesn’t help matters at all.”

Greg Garber of ESPN has an interesting story on the history of NFL coaches, from Sid Gillman to Pete Carroll. The story is part of a larger ESPN series on NFL coaches in celebration of the 100th anniversary of Vince Lombardi’s birth. Carroll acknowledges that he’s tried to build the Seahawks in the image of Lombardi’s teams at Green Bay. Carroll: “I don’t say this very often, but in putting together our team in these three years, I had this image in my mind about creating a team that could function like a Lombardi team. Where they were so committed to the running game. And disciplined. And a really smart quarterback that can make great decisions. And see if we couldn’t put together a team that could do so many things right that you just were hard to beat.”

Herm Edwards writing for ESPN, offers his list of the top 20, all-time NFL coaches. George Halas tops his list, followed by Vince Lombardi. You must be an ESPN Insider to view this.

Brian McIntyre of Yahoo Sports UNLV linebacker John Lotulelei received the largest signing bonus among undrafted rookie free agents in the league, taking $25,000 in guaranteed money to sign with Seattle. However, McIntyre also notes that the guaranteed money does not mean that Lotulelei has a guaranteed spot on the 53-man roster.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes about sixth round pick Spencer Ware’s conversion from hard-running tailback to fullback.

ESPN’s Mike Sando reports the Seahawks have the fourth-youngest roster of projected starters in the league.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports lists Seattle at No. 5 in his updated NFL power rankings. Prisco: “They’ve had a nice offseason, but the four-game suspension for Bruce Irvin taints it somewhat. They still have a talented roster.”

Joe Fortenbaugh of the National Football Post provides some statistical data to support his idea why San Francisco will not return to the Super Bowl in the upcoming season.

Mike Garafolo of USA Today reports that draft will be moved to mid-May next year, and could move from New York to another city after 2014.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com provides the rundown on San Francisco being awarded Super Bowl 50.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle does the same thing on the Texans being awarded Super Bowl 51.

New San Diego Chargers receiver Keenan Allen gets blasted on Twitter for wearing an Oakland Raiders hat to In-and-Out burger and posting a video of it. Just send that Raiders hat to me Keenan.

Morning links

Malcolm Smith is a “converted” linebacker? No Jim, he’s been a LB all along. At least Mr. Moore has pulled his head out of his rear enough to realize a perfect season is a ridiculous prediction.

2. FleaFlicker says:

Is that Bruce Irvin? Holy smokes, what a difference a barber’s chair can make.

3. trout_hound says:

Now that Portis is gone, here is an interesting article to help you get to know Jerrod Johnson a little bit: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview10/news/story?id=5492974
    He sounds like a fine young man that had a great role model for a father.

4. Ok what to make of Marshaun not being at OTA’s – I don’t totally care since it is Voluntary, but I wish he would have come and sat out (back/knee/foot) I just think with the make up of this team it is good for them to just hang out together.

Is he sulking that they drafted a RB?

5. montanamike2 says:

Jerrod Johnson has probably got the inside track on qb #3.

6. montanamike2 says:

Marshawn has a court appearance today, i’m sure that’s been on his mind as well as the rest of the team. I think of Lynch a lot like i think of Walter Jones, you know he brings it every game and he’s in fantastic shape, why wear him out or risk injury before season starts. I’m sure he’ll be there when it’s mandatory.

7. rramstad says:

I think the prediction of 19-0 was an overreach, and I think the sudden sky is falling is an overreaction.

Teams often start the season with the offense vanilla and sometimes even sleepwalking — of course compared to the rest of the season.

If we’re going to have some dinged up defensive players, or guys missing for disciplinary reasons, the start of the season is the time to do it.

8. FleaFlicker says:

Really loved that Fortenbaugh article. Some crazy stats in there. Of the last 15 teams to lose the Super Bowl, only eight came back the following year with a winning record. And only one team actually improved the W-L column (2009 Cards).

So based on those stats, it looks like SF is a coin flip to even make a 0.500 record.

49ers finishing 3rd in the Division….how sweet would that be?

9. FairbanksDoug says:

I have my predictions of how this season will go , and some thoughts on the next two. I would like it if Eric ran an article or something where everyone made there bold predictions and some not so bold. Could include where our division rivals end, where we end up in playoffs, who comes out as pro-bowl players, and other tidbits of information. I think that would make for an interesting read. Especially when it’s all done come February.

10. I like what Irvin said. I like what Carroll said. PC is a great father figure. I think everyone will move on from this fine. I just hope that we can weather the storm and find some folks to rush the passer those first 4 games.

GO HAWKS!

11. FairbanksDoug says:

On another note I listened to that Brock & Danny podcast, where Eric was standing in for the absent Danny. Gawd that Brock never shut his mouth to give Eric enough time to speak. Eric is the one I wanted to hear on his thoughts of the team. Gag him next time please!

12. raymaines says:

Of course 19-0 was an overreach. 17-2 is much more plausible. The first loss will be @ Houston in week four and then week 10 in Atlanta. That’s it.

13. raymaines says:

As for Brock: I now think Mike Salk’s greatest value was keeping Brock in check. I really like Danny, but Brock just doesn’t know when to keep quiet.

14. sluggo42 says:

In case some of you don’t ever read backwards in these blogs, I let myself go over the line of coolness and over reacted to another poster. For that, I would like to issue a full blog apology, and hope y’all can accept that for what is is.

I’m sorry…
    Doug

15. montanamike2 says:

I listened yesterday too and totally agree, i wanted to hear Eric more.

16. montanamike2 says:

Sluggo way to step up.

17. sluggo42 says:

I sometimes forget that at the core of this blog, the reason we are all here, is to discuss our universal love of OUR TEAM. And it’s not a negative place, it’s a great place because we have a bad-a$$ed Super Bowl bound team, and we all drool for victory, especially over the arch enemy 49’ers.

So, does Irvin look meaner with short hair? Does anyone know if his weight is up from last year? Did his off-season program add anymore bulk like RW did with 5 lbs more leg muscles.?
    I think if he can bulk up a bit like Clem did without losing any quickness, he becomes scarier than Clem…

18. SLuggo–Exactly. Sometimes the tangential issues that arise from football discussions can lead into space a bit too far, or at least into touchy territory. That can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how people react.

Irvin needed to gain 10 lbs at least, IMO, mostly in his legs. That would put him at the same weight as Aldon Smith. Just so long as it doesnt cost him speed.

Im more concerned with the overall pass rush than Irvin specifically, esp since we play the Whiners without him. Im concerned to see if the combo of Bennett, Williams, and Hill can produce pressure, and to see if they really can use Bennett as a Leo. Or if they end up using someone else at Leo, like Smith or Morgan or whoever..

Damn, camp and preseason are gonna be AWESOME to watch and disect this year!

I now hate the Whiners almost as much as I hated the Raiders back in the day, and every bit as much as I hated the Broncos.

19. Irvin was butt-ugly with the dreads. He looks professional now. Way to go, now go out and learn to be more than a situational pass-rusher and make up for your cheating.

20. sluggo42 says:

As long as his middle name isn’t Samson, I’m down

Sluggo- We’ve all been there. But few take responsibility to own it. Very cool.

22. Yeah man, Irvin looks bigger. At least in that picture he looks a bit less ripped, but a bit thicker.

23. Irvin looks tougher w/out the dreads. Would be funny to see what #25 looks like w/Irvin’s new hairstyle . . .

24. Holy crap, the Whiners lost their best WR, Crabtree, to a torn achilles according to Mike Garofalo!

Worse for them than us losing Clem and Irvin for awhile.

I think Quinton Patton is going to be a very good player for them, and productive as a rookie. Manningham will have to step up bigtime. Jenkins may actually get some playing time too.

Hard to feel too sorry for the Whiners, but I do feel bad for Crabtree; he’s finally coming into his own in the NFL, and you know he was looking forward to this season with Cap getting a full training camp to get ready. Its a damned shame for sure!

Best of luck, Crabtree! May you come back just as good next year! (And we’ll sweep the Whiners two years in a row!)

25. Ok, so he has a chance to come back and play this year. Good, I hate seeing guys go down with injury (except guys like Raplisberger and Ray Lewis, who in my opinion can rot in hell).

26. I have been thinking 12-4 all along and the Irvin suspension changes that predition 0%.

27. Tough break for the 9n’ers – don’t feel bad for the team but as you said – NEVER like seeing players get hurt.

On another note – what is it going to be like with the draft in May – everything will be much more compact – Is there a reason why they are making the move?

28. SandpointHawk says:

Radio City Music Hall is booked.

29. hawkfan777 says:

I am a little nervous after reading that Pete Prisco article. That guy cant predict anything right and he has the Hawks at #5. I would feel a lot better with his history if the Hawks were at #15.

30. sluggo42 says:

Crabtree down for the year?

31. sluggo42 says:

But, they got the best free agent of the off season in Boldin, so they are still fine at WR

But as much as I hate seeing any player hurt, it couldn’t have happened to a better team.. Injuries play such a huge part in how the season progresses. Remember when we were starting acib at WR a few years ago due to every WR that we had getting injured?

How many teams seasons have been ruined by the injury bug, us included.

32. CDN_C_Hawk says:

C’MON Man…19-0 ..this is the NFL, and credit has to be given to other teams…even the 9ers. I’ll take 15-4, thank you

It looks like Boldin will be #1….Jenkins #2 and Patton has to step into #3…Manningham might not be ready from his ACL. Could mean Kap, will be sprinting more than he had hoped.

33. wallinator says:

Brock may not have let Eric Williams talk…but the Double S Xpress did…check out Eric’s interview OnDemand at http://double-s-xpress.com/shows.html On the Double w The Double S Xpress & Jon Kitna as well on Show #2!!

34. CDN_C_Hawk–Manningham will be the starter opposite Boldin, if he’s back from injury 100%. And unless Jenkins makes huge strides in camp and preseason, he has a good chance of being passed up by Quinton Patton. Patton seems to be Darrel Jackson only stronger and tougher. He very likely could contribute from day one.

35. Irvin looks and sounds like he means business – and he’s already responded to his wake-up call from the PED police. I’m expecting good things.

I’m hoping to see Irvin and Wagner both looking stronger late next season. A lot of rookies can’t maintain their peak strength throughout their first-ever 16 or 18 game season. Those two looked tired by the time they went to Atlanta and got beat. Here’s hoping this offseason and OTAs will have these guys stronger, with their legs still under them come playoff time.

36. I heard Eric on Brock’s show and I thought it was good. Seems to me Eric is just a quiet man, with a lot to say, though. Keep up the blogging, Big E!

37. littleshawtyduece says:

looks like we got us some dopers

38. littleshawtyduece says:

Remember Pete Carrol ran Sc into the Shi#@er before he headed out of town.

39. Jusjamn says:

Sluggo – you got attacked. Plain & simple.

40. sluggo42 says:

thanks Jamn…

41. On the Radio City Music Hall thing; the NFL has had their draft there forever, at about the same time. There’s no conflict, its just another lame-assed money grab by GODdell. He wants to move the Draft to a larger facility, then hype the hell out of it, and probably sell tickets and personal seat licenses, and rent booths to vendors like Nike and MCDonalds etc etc etc…

42. banosser says:

Moore is an idiot.. 19-0.. I don’t even want the Hawks to be 15-0.. that pressure is just too much to over come.. a loss grounds a great team and makes them refocus.. I also want us once again playing our best ball thru Nov and Dec and into the playoffs.. so getting a super determined Irvin back and Clem will do wonders down the stretch..

13-3 would be awesome with the Hawks schedule..