Morning links: Sherman hires replacement ref to umpire celebrity softball game

Post by Eric Williams on May 16, 2013 at 7:08 am with 38 Comments »
May 16, 2013 7:08 am
Lance Easley, the official on the left signaling touchdown after Golden Tate's questionable catch for a game-winning score over Green Bay, will umpire Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman's celebrity softball game. (AP photo/ Stephen Brashear)
Lance Easley, the official on the left signaling touchdown after Golden Tate’s questionable catch for a game-winning score over Green Bay, will umpire Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman’s celebrity softball game. (AP photo/ Stephen Brashear)

Maybe the Seattle Seahawks should hire cornerback Richard Sherman to the team’s PR staff. Sherman once again shows some smarts in drawing an audience for his celebrity softball game, along with a cruel sense of humor, by hiring replacement referee Lance Easley to umpire the contest.

Easley was the official who called Golden Tate’s questionable, game-winning catch a touchdown in Seattle’s 14-12 victory over Green Bay on Monday Night football last year.

Sherman: “Remember the Ref who called TD during the Green Bay Game Monday Night??? His name is Lance Easley and he is going to Umpire for us July 7th! Don’t be surprised if a few flags are thrown.”

Will Brinson of CBS Sports ranks Russell Wilson No. 12 on his list of the top quarterbacks in the NFL – above Andrew Luck, Colin Kaepernick and RGIII. Brinson: “Wilson should’ve been the 2013 Rookie of the Year and I’m aware it’s blasphemy to take him over the other two big-time rookies in this class. But three things separate Wilson for me. His decision-making is phenomenal (as is his poise in the pocket) and it only got better as the season wore on. That was incredibly impressive. I also think Wilson’s ability to run multiple offenses — he’s done so for years now — gives him a leg up on the other two rookies. And his combination of running ability plus durability puts him over the top. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to buy a hose for the flame war that’s about to pop up in the comments.”

Evan Silva of Rotoworld ranks Seattle’s offensive line No. 20 in the league. Yes, it’s probably lower than the team deserves, but I understand the reasoning. Besides Russell Okung and Max Unger, Seattle’s offensive line is not known around the league. Silva: “O-Line talent isn’t a strength of the Seahawks, but they absolutely max out their players’ abilities via position coach Tom Cable’s tutelage and clear holes in the run game with a zone-blocking scheme. Hard-luck injuries wrecked Seattle’s 2012 up-front continuity, as Carpenter missed nine games due to a knee injury and concussion, Moffitt was limited to six starts by elbow and knee woes, and Sweezy was brought along slowly as a former college defensive tackle. This line isn’t star studded, but it’s good enough and doesn’t have a single projected starter above age 27. Whereas the Redskins can expect injury regression, Seattle ought to get it the other way around. Cable will pull production from this unit, and it can get better simply by staying healthy.”

ESPN’s Mike Sando takes a closer look at Seattle’s plans at running back.

Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com questions why the Seahawks drafted running back Christine Michael in the second round.

Tony Drovetto of Seahawks.com takes a closer look at new Seattle addition tight end Victor Marshall.

Morning links
  1. sluggo42 says:

Perfect Sherman…

Sherman is incredible; that is hilarious.

3. HawkFromDay1 says:

That’s funny… vintage Richard Sherman: “I think this is funny; other people will totally hate it; let’s do it.”

I think the Michael pick highlights just how bland this draft class was. At that pick, there were zero impact players – so why not take the most electric RB in the draft? Maybe he’s Adrian Peterson and maybe he’s Kijana Carter – may as well find out…

4. HawkfaninMT says:

Just for conversations sake…

Dan patrick was talking about over-valued athletes vs undervalued. He argued that the most under paid athlete of all time was Michael Jordan. During some years he was the 5th highest “salaried” player on the team. He took less money to ensure players would be around him to win championships. It is said Doug Collins posed the question to him “Do you want to win championships, or be in highlight reels?” (Turns out he did both)…

It seems as though our own Russell Wilson has the Jordan-esque work ethic. But does he hold the same value that, in order to win championships, you need to take less money. That taking less money for the team will get you on that “Mt Rushmore” of quarterbacks. Obviously he will get paid more than he is now. But will he be the type of athlete that, just because he is one of the best at his position, he needs to be the highest paid player at that position? I hope not!

5. yankinta says:

lol, this dude cracks me up!!

6. Still my favorite Sherman video… http://youtu.be/Fi_ly7HTSzk

7. MT – I believe he will be that kind of guy – he will get paid well but I don’t see him as the guy that is going to demand to be the highest paid guy.

8. RDPoulsbo says:

That is hillarious. So what that fans of other teams hate him for what he does. They can’t do anything about it but sit and stew.

I really wasn’t that excited about players in this year’s draft either. I kind of wished they’d have picked a OG higher up, but whatever. The o-line does need work, but Cable is getting everything he can out of them and hopefully some of the disappointments will turn it around.

9. rramstad says:

The RB pick is total insurance. When Lynch couldn’t play against the Browns, we lost a very winnable game. Lynch won’t play forever, he can’t, and his running style means he’ll probably be out sooner rather than later (though I hope I’m wrong). A nice violent electric guy in the draft is totally smart thinking about things two years from now, as opposed to now… which makes sense given how stacked the roster is, hardly any draft picks were going to make the roster anyway.

10. SaigonSun says:

When we took Michael with our first pic, I (amost) had a nervous meltdown. I was totally stunned but, then I remembered my mantra: in JS/PC I trust ! Why did they do that when Margus Hunt, the Honey badger, etc were still available? Then, it hit me : the NFL’s new rule for leading with the top of the helmet. Lynch will get a lot of penalties because of this new rule ( that is his punishing running style), and he is not going to change at this point of his career. They obviously didn’t think Turbin was ready to be the featured RB for the Seahawks, so now we have C-Mic.
    I don’t want to be like yankita, and his wild predictions,
    but if Lynch can’t adjust quickly to the new rules (by the beginning of this season), I wouldn’t be surprised if he is not traded (Jets, Indi). This new rules will affect quite few games this year. We all know our Seahawks aren’t the darlings of the NFL refs…. I think our rb lineup will be :C-Mic, Turbin, Rob and Harvin (part time).
    Go ahead, I am ready for your wrath for my “heresy”.

He’s a punisher but not like Earl Campbell. Outside the tackles and beyond then line, Lynch doesn’t often put is head into players’ chests. I don’t see too many penalties forthcoming for Lynch as a result of the new rule. We’ll have to wait and see though.

12. sluggo42 says:

I personally love the “tin-tin” pick, and I see him elevating into the #2 RB slot about a quarter of the way into the season. I think he has the jets that turbin doesn’t… The turbinator has some serious guns, but they don’t make him run any faster. C-tin will get some touches in training camp and will ignite his jets and when PC sees him go, that will be that. Getting a serious RB is a move that we didn’t think we needed with the drafting of the turbin last year. But lets face it, the turbin doesn’t scare anyone short of a curling contest.

But now, we have a change o,f pace back that will have the jets to scorch defenses, and after he does that a few times, he will force teams to wrinkle towards him, thus again, freeing up a TE, or a WR, giving them that one step that makes the difference between being open or not.

I for one, can barely take the waiting for this season to begin…

13. chuck_easton says:

Duke,

The problem’s with the rule are going to be:

1. New rule, Ref’s don’t really know what constitutes “leading with the helmet”.

2. The lieteral reading of the rule is that the ball carrier must lower his head and in doing so the crown of the helmet (the very top) makes contact with the defender. Supposedly it is still perfectly OK for the ball carrier to lower his shoulder and make contact with the shoulder pad, the face mask or the SIDE OF THE HELMET.

3. The rule is asking the Ref to look at a play and in an instant try to go through a process. a) ball carrier lowered his head and made contact with the defender. b) Did his shoulder hit the defender? c) was it the facemask or the side of the helmet? d) am I sure it was actually the top of the ball carriers helmet that hit the defender? e) oh heck, throw flag, 15 yard penalty, let the guys at head office decide if it really was a penalty and if they want to add a fine.

2. Problem is that at least this first season you can expect that any time an RB lowers his head/shoulder and makes contact (even if it isn’t with the crown of the helmet) the flag will be thrown. Better to err on the side of over calling it than under calling it. The league want to make sure the act of leading with the head is taken out.

The best example I can give you is what happened in my son’s hockey league. The league wanted to remove head shots from the game. Obvious reason, head shots have a higher risk of concussions and we want to drastically cut down on the potential for concussions.

Rule is written that ANY contact to the head of a player by another player for any reason is now a penalty. It is up to the referee to decide if the contact was unintentional and give a 2 minute penalty or if if was intentional then it is a 4 minute penalty.

Again, the idea and the wording of the rule is clear. No contact to the head, period.

The first season of course there was an epidemic of hit to the head penalties. What the coaches were finding that it was almost always the bigger players getting the penalty and not the little guys.

In one of our games the ref called 14 hit to the head penalties on our team and 5 on my son. My son was 14 and 5′ 11″ and over 200 lbs at the time. The other calls were all on our bigger players (we had a big team that year).

After the game one of our coaches asked the referee how he interpreted the rule and his response was “no head shots at all…and in my opinion there is no way a bigger kid can hit any smaller kid without some part of him making contact with the smaller guys head” So this referee interpreted the rule that any and all hits by a bigger player was an automatic hit to the head penalty even if the ref didn’t actually see any contact.

This is what we are going to see in the NFL. Any time a ball carrier lowers his shoulder/head the flag will be thrown because there is a CHANCE that the player might have made contact with the top of his helmet.

This is going to impact punishing runners like Lynch and it is going to reward players like Shaun Alexander who like to fall down or run out of bounds rather than being hit. Or you are going to have RB’s that just run more upright and that will limit their ability to break tackles.

Thanks for all that Chuck, but I’m staying with the wait and see approach before getting up in arms. I’m sure I won’t like it, but will hopefully be surprised.

Also, this isn’t hockey, with due respect. If it were and to you son’s hockey league rules, offensive and defensive linemen contact at the snap would be all but neutered. That’s not happening.

16. chuck_easton says:

Duke,

Of course you aren’t going to take out contact on the line and in the box. In fact the rule is very clear on that as well.

The penalty can only be enforced if the ball carrier is downfield or outside the box. The one yard and a cloud of dust with the RB getting low and following the o-line in for the score or short yardage first down are all still perfectly fine.

The rule is only going to effect the hard running ball carriers who get past the line of scrimmage and use their strength and body to try to ‘run-through’, run over, or deliver a hit to the defender in an attempt to not be tackled, and/or push for more yardage before going down.

And who on the Seahawks does that sound like?

RB’s like Jackson, Lynch, Murray, and AP that are power runners will be flagged.

The dancing avoid the hit try not to be caught or touched speedsters such as Chris Johnson, McCoy in Philly, Reggie Bush, and that group will not be effected at all. Their game is to run away from the tackler and if they get caught they go down.

17. SaigonSun says:

Chuck-Easton,, thanks for standing up for my point to that mean Dukeshire. The check is in the mail….. hehehe.
    Duke, I seriously believe in what I posted. I am not a psychic but, my experience ( NFL refs vs.our Seahawks) tells me we will be at the wrong end of most colls concerning the new rule.
    2013 will be tough year for many top bruising RBs, including Lynch.
    To be yankita impersonator for a moment : an Lynch and Baldwin package to Indi for their 2014 first rounder sounds good to me.
    Combining that first and ours for Clowney is …..like getting busted for excessive happiness and celebration ! Like, replacing my old lady with a virgin clone of Pamela Anderson. Yep, that’s about right.

18. Better idea – have Clowney test funky on some physical test and have everyone freak out and draft him later ;) although it really didn’t hurt Star L. much this year, so NM

19. The new rule is this:
    “a runner or a tackler will draw a 15-yard penalty if he initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or a tackler against an opponent would not be deemed a foul.”

So Marshawn is free to smash through a DT at the line of scrimmage, and through a LB two yards past the line of scrimmage, but at three yards he must not use his helmet but hit with his shoulder instead. I don’t see a problem with that, and it might prevent some flagrant b.s. crown of the helmet hits in the open field. Truth is, most of the contact Marshawn initates is with his shoulders, elbows, and knees. The way Marshawn runs, he is actually very hard for defenders to hit head-on.

SaigonSun – Lol. Sorry for bulling you, dude.

Stevo – My point exactly. We’re in agreement.

21. bbnate420 says:

I remember reading somewhere reputable that the refs were going to be instructed not to call it unless it was obvious and egregious. Time will tell. Nobody knows for sure yet. We can step back from the ledge. I would be totally shocked if this led to Lynch getting constantly penalized and then traded. I think that’s quite a reach.

22. SandpointHawk says:

Hell, I think Marshawn calls it a career after the third preseason game. “Ain’t putting up with this crap no more, no more” he tells Real Rob as he empties his locker.

At that point Adrian Lewis Peterson gets traded to Seattle to play with his boy Percy for a 7th rounder,( what do the Viking’s care they got their stadium)….

“Purple Jesus” claims he wants the rushing record and the ‘ring’ and he gets his wish (3yrs as a Hawk, three SB victories in a row and 9,000 yards)…

Marshawn of course goes back to Oakland and spends the rest of his life as a motivational speaker “living in a van down by the river”…

Book it my friends…

Bartender hit me again…

23. Would this hit draw a penalty under the new rules?

No, but it’s fun to watch…

24. bbnate420 says:

Very funny, Sandpoint.

25. jboard1 says:

Best post of the year goes to Sandpoint. That was great

26. Here’s a fun read on how Seattle’s defensive design came to be what it is today following Pete’s journey through time and place.

27. One of the comments at the bottom also mentioned something about a possible ET extension coming through.

28. One more item for those who don’t think Rice is all that and a bag of chips. Consider that his lone pro bowl season in 2009 was with Harvin on the team. Percy also made the pro bowl as a rookie that year filling in as the return man. There is no one left on this team that can’t burn you. Me likey.

29. Seahawks22360 says:

I wonder if the FO have discussed Turbin playing a little FB? You’d think he has the “size” to lay some punishing blocks on people.

30. RDPoulsbo says:

I actually don’t see a big change with the new rule. It’s been around for a while, primarily against the defense, back when they called it spearing. The refs have seen this before, it’s just going to apply to RBs now. They need to clean up the ambiguity, but it’s all the same.

As it applies to Lynch, it really doesn’t. He’s a punishing runner, but it’s more because of his low center of gravity combined with his high knees. It makes for a small target to get to the body for the tackle. Any fool taking that head on is more concerned with a knew to the sternum, not a lowered helmet.

Galena- I don’t think anyone here has said that Rice is average or less.
    He is very good and has the potential to be elite, however to be elite he has to be more consistent. That’s not a knock on Rice at all.

As far as Rice making it to the pro Bowl in 2009 when Harvin was a rookie, I don’t really know what you are trying to say there but I’m sure Brett Favre had something to do with it.

32. bbnate420 says:

2009: Rice 122 targets, 83 catches, 68%, 15.8 average, 8 TDs.

2012: Rice 80 targets, 50 catches, 62.5%, 15 average, 7 TDs.

Nate, look at the last four games of last season. 2 regular and two playoffs.(When the games matter most).
    Tate was far more productive then Rice. Baldwin out performed him too. Hell even Miller Rob and Lynch did better.

Now look what Boldin did for the Ravens in his last four games of the season.
    Rice is good but Harvin is far away being our best WR imo.

34. jawpeace says:

MT. I wonder how Jordan salary was figured. As I remember he once got over 30 million for one season which was a record and the highest in the NBA at that time.

35. HawkfaninMT says:

He got two contracts like that…when he was winning his first few championships he was sub 1mil up to 3 mil per year.

36. HawkfaninMT says:

They said over the life of his career he made approximately 90mil in salary, and that included 2 years of 30 plus mil per

37. raymaines says:

Oh SandPoint, you’re going straight to hell for not being PC, but a lot of us will be joining you because we all thought your post was seriously funny. Forgive me Father for I have sinned, but I thought it was funny too. I can feel it getting warmer already.

Please God let me stay on Earth until the middle of February next year so I can see the ‘Hawks kick Denver ass in the SuperBowl, then I’ll happily spend eternity in hell with my friends. Thank you.

38. bbnate420 says:

Georgia, Baldwin= 117 yards the last 4 games, and he was healthy.
    Rice= 81 yards, while he was held out some due to injury.

This TOTALLY ignores the fact that attention paid to Rice helped everyone else. I like stats, but they have to be read correctly and placed in context. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion here, but so are those that look at more than the stats the last 4 games.

BTW, I like Baldwin, Tate, Harvin, and Miller. Harvin could very well be their best WR now. We’ll see. I especially like what Tate did, but there’s a HUGE difference between producing when you’re the #1 target of defenses and when you’re not. Ask Alvin Harper, Andre Rison, Javon Walker, etc..