Rookie minicamp wrap-up

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on May 12, 2013 at 4:35 pm with 31 Comments »
May 12, 2013 4:35 pm

In his rookie minicamp summation Sunday afternoon, coach Pete Carroll seemed most pleased that all the draft picks “looked like they fit into the role that we hoped for,” while adding they all still had “a million miles to go.”

He cited the play of both defensive tackles drafted, Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams, who caused problems all weekend for the green offensive linemen. The most pleasant surprise, Carroll said, was that those two big guys showed up in good condition and were not “taxed by the work load.” Although he expects those two to eventually learn multiple positions, right now Hill is mostly at nose and Williams at the 3 technique. Both were quick to penetrate. On occasion, the eager Hill over pursued and Williams sometimes played a little high while peeking into the backfield. But they both certainly pass the early eye-ball test.

Two other drafted players he thought were ready to get thrown into the mix during off-season training activities that start next week were receiver Chris Harper and tight end Luke Willson. Harper had one of the plays of the day Sunday when he pulled in a 45-yard touchdown pass from Jerrod Johnson. Harper, at 234-pounds, is more physical than the Seahawks have had at that position in a while. . Carroll said he will not hesitate to toss Harper into the receiver competition when they reconvene next week for the start of OTAs. Willson, too, will get a good look early, as he’s already the fastest tight end on the roster. Carroll said he scripted a number of plays for Sunday’s practice  to explore the skills of Harper and Willson. “He’s a big, solid dude like we thought,” Carroll said of the 6-1, 243-pound Harper. “He really has great hands. He did very well and learned very well, too.”

Carroll liked the aggressive play and size of 6-2 cornerback Tharold Simon. A lot of the discussion about Simon on draft weekend was about his legal problems and suspension at LSU, but it didn’t take long for him in practice to show how well he fits the profile Carroll and John Schneider have established for secondary players.

The three offensive linemen drafted had a hard time standing out. Perhaps most intriguing is tackle Michael Bowie, who transferred out of Oklahoma State. He has the look of an NFL tackle (6-4, 332, with those giant tackle feet).

Asked if any of the undrafted guys flashed surprising talent, Carroll named Idaho defensive end Benson Mayowa, who showed good speed and nice cornering ability on his pass rushes. But, as Carroll said, the Seahawks have become “a very difficult team to make … we’ve got some big decisions to make to figure out how we’re going to round out the roster,” he said.

Jerrod Johnson got a good look this camp in his third try to land with an NFL team. His camp experience allowed him to run the offense with some effectiveness. At 6-5, 250, he’s got a little bit of a Vince Young look to him.  “He did a nice job running the club and was able to give us a little expertise out there,” Carroll said of Johnson. “He’s got a very good arm, can really gun the football down the field. He’s got a presence and he’s such a big guy in the pocket. He’s bright and he’s handled stuff really well.”

1. DreadHawks says:

I’m intrigued by Johnson, seems to have alot of upside. Portis and Quinn may very well have their work cut out for them. Go Hawks!

2. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

couldn’t agree more duke

3. TheDudeAbidesDonnyYourOutOfYourElement says:

I think that having a speedy tall TE is something we really have been missing. The best teams seem to have one that is always a down the field threat that can break the game wide open at any moment. Adding a physical receiver with good hands is almost just a plus with our fairly complete receiving core we have with Harvin being a part of it. Cannot wait for this season!

4. I’m really happy that Williams and Hill, as big men on the interior of the defensive line, came into camp in shape. That’s great!

5. While, It is always interesting to find an intriguing prospect, I must confess that I’ve been rooting for Portis to break out for a couple years now, and Quinn sounds like almost as big a film rat as Wilson. Good problems to have indeed!

That’s the problem I run into this season, there are so many new faces that seem to have high potential, but I can’t bring myself to think about yanking out established regulars so they have room to join the team. Perhaps the league will add a few more games to the season and jack up the active roster to 60-63 players.

I like the attention the team is getting from the media, but that sword cuts both ways, we have no more “hidden” talent, every man we cut or drop is being closely looked at and snapped up by coaching staffs across the league.

6. wmuse71 says:

Great article. @Trakar – I agree with you on several points. I have been a Portis fan since Day One and always hoped for the best for him. I’m glad he is back in the fold. Now that the dust has settled with the offensive staff, let’s see what the man can really do in this offense.

Also, regarding the sword cutting both ways, I agree as well. On most sports channels, it doesn’t matter how good or how poorly the Jets or the Eagles are doing, it’s covered heavily. I’m glad that the ‘Hawks are getting the praise they deserve, as long as it is tempered and balanced.

@ Dude and Dreadhawks… Couldn’t agree more!

7. I’m really liking the idea of Harper. Just when the opposing CBs are going all twinkletoes to stop a Harvin, Tate, or Rice, they get a 233-pound stiff arm and get run over by Harper. That’s my vision, anyway.

Interesting no mention of C. Michael in Eric’s report.

Part of the joy of being a Hawks fan is following the rookies drafted and FA.

Go Hawks!

8. Dave Boling says:

Yeah, didn’t mention Michael or Ware today because it’s so hard to tell much about a running back when there’s no tackling and defenders are just trying to strip the ball. However, both of those guys had nice receptions on little flare passes — one handed, caught in stride. I noticed in a team session on Saturday, Ware did not look comfortable in pass protection — an acquired skill particularly for guys who have been tailbacks.

9. Rice is 6-4 and weighs over 200 pounds. I’ve never considered him a “twinkletoes” type of receiver. But I know where you’re coming from in that Harper does give the dimension of a powerful man who goes over 230 for a receiver. I like how we have so many different receivers with unique talents.

10. Dave – Always enjoy your commentary. Thanks.

11. Uh… Dave’s report… Love ya, Dave. You’re the greatest.

Bobby – I meant the CBs had to be quick shifting on their feet to catch Rice, Harvin, et al. I’d never call our guys “twinkletoes…” :)

12. raymaines says:

The very first post on my list is by DreadHawks and the second post is HFIOk saying he agrees with Duke. What am I missing? Is this a browser thing? Maybe Chrome is editing my feed.

I suppose the Seahawk D-Backfield is up to the task, but OMG, 6″1 – 234 lbs is a BIG wide reciever. I don’t pay much attention to other teams but somebody on the ’13 schedule is going to have a hard time with this guy. I think Doug Baldwin is in serious trouble.

13. hawkfan777 says:

ray,

It happens to me all the time too. I figured a post maybe was removed?

14. “right now Hill is mostly at nose and Williams at the 3 technique”

Is that a typo Dave, or is that correct? I expected Williams at the 1 and Hill at the 3. (?)

15. We’ve got some exciting prospects to watch this year – both among the draft picks and UDFA’s. I don’t think I’ve ever been so ready for training camp and the preseason to begin. It’s very early but Chris Harper looks like he could be the story of this draft for us. His combination of size, speed and catching ability could pose real problems for opposing secondaries, particularly when you start thinking about the other weapons around him.

16. Stevos, I don’t know if you’ve heard Pete talk after the last rookie practice yet, but Williams indeed has been lining up at 3 technique. Pete said the plan is to keep him at that spot for awhile, then they’ll move him to the 5 spot, and the eventually back to NT. They just want to see how he fits at different spots. I personally hope he fits well at the 5 technique. Anyway to keep Red a bit more healthy as the season rolls along – I am all for it.

17. Harper may be one of those players who is better in the NFL than they were in college. Receivers need to be more physical in the pros, so his strength might make a difference.

18. Baldwin in serious trouble? Nah, at least not this season. Our top four of Rice, Harvin, Tate & Baldwin are solid. Harper could crack the 53 this year but I don’t know why he would bump DB from the team.

Stevos that is what Mr. Happy said during an interview. You read it correctly. He envisions Williams as an early down run stuffing 3-tech for the time being but did mention these guys will play multiple positions on the line in time.

19. I’m getting good at writing simultaneously with others and then posting 3-4 minutes later.

Harper is a unique size for this WR group, that’s for sure.

20. Galena, if Harper does what he did for the past three days against rooks and 2nd year players to the likes of Sherman and Browner, there is a very distinct possibility that someone on that depth chart at WR is getting demoted; not necessarily cut, but pushed down the depth chart. My guesses at this point would be either Baldwin or Tate.

Could Coleman be a surprise undrafted rookie this year?

22. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

thanks georgia, what does he weigh ?

23. I don’t really get why Williams is at the the 3 tech and Hill is on the nose. If I was lining these guys up I would have done it the exact opposite. I guess that’s why I am just a youth football coach, but it defies normal football logic.

24. SandpointHawk says:

Normal Football Logic ≠ Pete Carroll…

Oklahoma-

weight- 184.
    Height- 5075.
    40 time-4.40.
    Bench -11 reps.
    Vertical jump-39.
    Broad jump-10’03”.

Could make a good practice squad player, and/or Kickoff/punt returner down the road.

26. yankinta says:

Luke Willson will show 49ers FO cannot evaluate talent and they’re just living off the previous regime good moves.

49ers picking Vance McDonald (Starting TE from Rice) in the 2nd round versus, Us picking Luke Willson (Back-Up TE from Rice) in the 5th round, that’s what I call a Steal!!!

We finally have our Joker TE. So Long McCoy, we’ve had enough of your Potential…..

27. Sekolah – thanks!

28. yankinta – those are my hopes as well, and I was very excited when we drafted Willson since he was one of only 3 or 4 guys in the draft who specifically fit the receiving TE role.

At this point, there is no way to know how the TE position is going to shake out on the Seahawks (or in SF for that matter.) I hope Willson takes the #2 TE spot from McCoy, but at the least he should push McCoy to improve. At some point, we have two great TEs on the field between Miller, Willson, and McCoy. I really think Pete and Tom Cable have been wanting more 2-TE offensive sets for some time. They wouldn’t have put up with babying KW2 through last year’s camp if that wasn’t the case.

The 49ers situation at TE is just as dynamic as ours, and worth watching. They want more 2-TE sets also, and they lost their #2. Besides drafting MacDonald, they also signed our old TE Cameron Morrah, who has great potential as a receiving TE if he can stay healthy.

29. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

yankinta, i doubt McCoy goes anywhere. team needs 3-4 TE and Anthony is going to be at worst 3 most likely still 2. he had some big plays last year.

30. seahawkfan97 says:

i dont like the fact that cameron morrah is with the niners and I can see him now looking at photos and briefing the defense on our offense…I hate it when that happens…maybe paul allen(who is the best owner around..gohawks and blazers) can slip him a couple mil for some misinfo to harbaugh….