Morning links: The grades are in

Post by Eric Williams on April 28, 2013 at 10:04 am with 91 Comments »
April 28, 2013 10:04 am
ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. (AP Photo/Gail Burton)
ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. (AP Photo/Gail Burton)

Whether you are a fan or not, one thing you have to give ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. credit for is an impressive ability to churn out cohesive information in a short amount of time.

The opinionated Kiper always does his homework.

Check out Kiper’s grades for every team in the NFL here. You must be an ESPN Insider to view this. After practically failing Seattle’s draft last year, Kiper is much more kind, giving Seattle an overall B grade.

Kiper: “We can’t forget one very important point: The first-round pick of the Seahawks is named Percy Harvin, and he’s going to have a major impact on this offense in 2013. I (perhaps unfairly) remain concerned about Harvin’s ability to stay healthy, but the stats show he’s been durable. The selection of Christine Michael was a little bit of a luxury pick for me, but they lack that type of explosive back on the roster, so he offers a different look. They needed to add some rotation depth at defensive tackle and accomplished that with Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams, though I know a number of teams are concerned that Williams will have durability problems. Michael Bowie could stick as depth at tackle, as could Ty Powell at linebacker. I don’t know that Seattle added a starter among their picks, but they certainly added one in Harvin.”

Here’s my story wrapping up the final day of picks for Seattle. Rookie minicamp is scheduled for May 10-12.

Dave Boling of The News Tribune profiles interesting and heavily tattooed new defensive lineman Jesse Williams, who will try to replace Alan Branch at defensive tackle for Seattle.

Jerry Brewer of The Seattle Times says Jesse Williams, nicknamed “Tha Monstar”, could be “The Steal” for the Seahawks.

Danny O’Neil of 710 ESPN Seattle says it was business as usual for Seattle, with another selection of odd picks.

John Boyle of The Everett Herald writes that the Seahawks were willing to take calculated risks in this year’s draft.

Chris Burke of Sports Illustrated rates Williams as one of the steals in this year’s draft.

ESPN’s Mike Sando ranks Seattle selecting running back Christine Michael as biggest surprise in his NFC West draft analysis.

Arizona quarterback Matt Scott surprisingly went undrafted, and landed with Jacksonville as an undrafted rookie free agent.

Will Brinson and Pete Prisco of CBS Sports debate the merits of NFC West drafts, and if Russell Wilson can sustain the success he had in 2012 for another season. Check it out in the video below. Prisco provides more fire Wilson can use as motivation.

Morning links
  1. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

wow must be a post draft hangover for everyone.

2. Wow. That video is amazing. Prisco pretty much thinks Russell Wilson’s success was due to a gimmicky “read option” offense, and he doubts Wilson can play QB well after teams “figure out” the Seahawks offense.

No rookie QB in NFL history has thrown for more TDs than Russell Wilson. And that happened even with the Hawks near the bottom of the league in passes attempted in the first half of the season.

There was nothing gimmicky about what RW did last year. Prisco is going to see that in this upcoming season.

3. Two more days and Mell Kiper puts his hair back in the garage for repairs.

4. Totally agree, rbuzby. Prisco is a dolt.

I can say this: I’m *actually* hungover.

Kiper is right, there may not be a starter among the draft picks (Hill is the most likely IMO) but then neither does Seattle have many spaces available for someone to take. It’s a great position to be in.

6. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

news flash prisco is an idiot

7. “Michael Bowie could stick as depth at tackle, as could Ty Powell at linebacker.”

I have to give Mel Kiper credit for singling out seventh rounder Michael Bowie. Every draft scout I read missed on this guy, I think because he transferred to Northeastern State at a senior, but he had a solid career at Oklahoma State. The question on Bowie now, is does he want to do the work to be a pro. If so, he just might give Breno competition at RT within a couple years.

8. I hope I never encounter Pete Prisco in person because the temptation to punch him in the mouth might be more than I can resist. This guy constantly finds a way to trash Seattle. Is this stuff scripted or something? It kind of feels that way. I mean, really, how can someone like an analyst be that hateful and ignorant.

There’s no doubt Wilson needs to prove himself. I agree with Prisco at a certain level where 1st year success needs to be proven after the league has seen you and studied you. If it weren’t for the fact that R.W. is obsessed with being the best then I might be worried.

Now, Kapepernick – that is a QB I would definitely say “let’s see him do it next year, and the year after”. He is supposedly a hard worker too, but there are certain things about his game that wave red flags to me. He didn’t start as many games as Wilson, so the rest of the league had even less time to catch up with him than it did with Russell. I will not be surprised at all if Kap either has a step back in 2013, or just flat out stinks.

9. I just looked it up and the Hawks were dead last in the NFL in pass attempts last season. And their QB holds the rookie record for TD passes, along with a guy named Manning. That is just incredible. Imagine the hype if Luck or RG3 had done that.

10. Do you guys remember Tim Ruskell’s drafts? Every player seemed to be an undersized overachiever. Something Chip Kelly said yesterday about the iggles draft reminded me how different our draftees now look: “If you constantly take the overachiever at every position, you’re going to be too small. If you take the short defensive tackle backed up by the short middle linebacker backed up by the short safety, then all of a sudden you’re going to get run over.” I’m glad we got Ty Powell at LB, so many of the LB prospects looked like TR types this draft.

11. The read option isn’t hard to figure out, that’s why it works! But you need a smart enough qb to “READ” it. I predict a few more teams will be running it next year. Plus we will be adding new wrinkles to it with Percy…

12. I’ve been wondering what Jesse Williams would look like as a goalline lead blocker (FB) occasionally?

It’s funny to me all the talk about the read option: Spread concepts have been working their way in to the league from college, for years now. Shifting the game from vertical to horizontal only creates more space for superior athletes to run. It’s hardly a gimmick. The NFL game is *always* evolving and what’s fun for me to see is, that Seattle on both offense and defense, is ahead of the curve for perhaps the very first time in franchise history.

14. Southendzone says:

Couldn’t Prisco say the exact same thing about SF and Kap?

That is one of the stupidest opinions I’ve heard yet. The read option isn’t effective because no one knows how to stop it, it’s because when you add it to an already strong running game it makes the whole package hard to defend.

15. Anyone aware if Christine Michael does the punt return/kickoff return thing very well? That is an area that needs to be filled for us at a high level…. or just someone else from the rec’r group…

16. Agreed Duke, that’s what I meant. It’s not like the nfl is suddenly going to “figure it out”. It’s not about anyone not understanding what we are doing, as its one slice of pie that can happen at any point. With multiple options that can occur based on how they react. The point is that there is no “cure ” for it. We start the play and depending on what they do, we choose one of the options that they don’t cover.

They really can’t dictate what we do. We let them decide, then we do something different, and if the hesitate, the beast is already 3 yards into them, or Christine is off to the races….

Remember the movie about the haunted car (58′ Plymouth fury) that killed all the people….. Christine!

17. chuck_easton says:

Goofy,

Schneider said that Michael doesn’t/hasn’t handled return duties and the team isn’t looking at him for that right now.

If the season started today Harvin is the kick returner and Tate is the punt returner according to JS/PC

18. Christine Michael must hold a lot of respect for whichever parent it was that named him, because someone like me, lol, yeah, I’d have had that name changed the second I was old enough to legally do so.

I know what it’s like to have your name constantly mispronounced over and over again, but I can only imagine what it would be like having a name that 99% of the people who first see it will associate you with a different gender than your true one. Anyone care to guess how many fist fights Michael was involved in from grade school on up because of that name?

And you know NFL opponents are going to try and use that against him once he starts to make a name for himself.

Parents really are cruel sometimes, without even truly realizing it.

19. “I’ve been wondering what Jesse Williams would look like as a goalline lead blocker (FB) occasionally”

that’s a funny visual – - 323 lbs, 600 lbs bench press, should be able to make a little room. He must have been one scary rugby player too back in Australia days.

20. Prisco Prisco thanks for schooling us Hawk fans on how to look like an idiot. Blab your mouth and trash a team without watching them much. Make grandiose statements that are beyond idiotic like the Hawks would take Luck over Wilson right now. LOL Teams had time to figure it out it is not that hard figure out. But actually hard to defend if you have the components that the Hawks have in their offense.

21. Southendzone says:

Did you hear the comments reportedly made by Tharold Simon to the cops? He might have a swagger like Sherman.

He said something like “I own this town and I’m gonna buy you all”. Its not as great as “I’m better at life than you”, but hey he’s just a rookie.

22. MoSeahawk12 says:

That is easily one of the stupidest videos I’ve ever watched. Brisco, lay of the crisco. What a complete moron. He clearly hasn’t watched Wilson or the Seahawks play. Wilson was in the pocket and threw the bulk of his touchdowns from the pocket. We ran the read option about 13% of the time and didn’t even start using it until much later in the season.

We are a running team and yes, you fake the handoff to Lynch occasionally to draw up the linebackers. It’s football 101. The play action is a staple of every strong running team and every team uses it. If the linebackers bite, it’s their fault. Why would Wilson be penalized for out thinking the defense. Brisco has been out thought for most of his life. What a complete tool. Another reason to avoid CBS and the worst football coverage in the world. My dog’s opinions are better than Brisco and my dog eats cat crap.

23. lol pete prisco

But seriously, if last year was the year that RW made everyone go wow, this is the year to make everyone go “whoa”. Been a long time since both sides of the ball have looked so exciting before going into a season, at least on paper.

24. montanamike2 says:

I’ve always found Pricko to be just that. We’re even better than last year, yet he finds something to rationalize his total dislike of all things Seattle.

25. I think we got a bag of hammers this draft. Good draft.

26. ChrisHolmes says:

Wow… If Prisco thinks RW’s success was due to the read-option, then he just revealed how absolutely, totally ignorant he is about not only Russel Wilson, but NFL football in general.

What was the percentage of plays that we called a read-option last year? 3%? 5%?

Wilson made plays with his arm, feet and brains. All day long. Nothing gimmicky about it.

The read option is a very small facet of this offense. I actually think the more deadly portions of our offense (outside the running game) was our play-action package (Wilson throws a beautiful deep ball and already has figured out how to manipulate safeties with his eyes) and the empty backfield sets.

In fact, our 5-wide sets, I think, are our deadliest passing package, and as Wilson gets more confidence, I think Bevell is really going to let this package loose next season. We’re going to put Rice, Tate, pH, Miller and Lynch on the field at the same time. Have fun covering that DC’s.

Wilson’s going to eat defenses for lunch.

27. montanamike2 says:

Agreed ChrisHolmes.

28. chuck_easton says:

Prisco doesn’t like Seattle and will always find a reason to downgrade them.

Every week during the season he finds a way to ‘explain’ why Seattle will lose each and every game.

His opinion of Wilson doesn’t surprise me in the least. He’s consistent.

The bias will really show in a few days when he does his evaluation of the NFCE and goes on and on about how Robert Griffin will dominate with his feet and accurate passing ability. Prisco will rave about how defences can’t deal with Griffins ability to use the read option.

I will be more shocked if Prisco uses the same reasons to downgrade Griffin.

29. I listened to a Wilson interview some time ago and he laughed it off by pretty much saying (what some of you just did) that it isn’t a big part of their offense. We know this because we actually pay attention to our team but the national clowns don’t care about doing their homework by understanding every team. As long as they know about the Cowboys, whoever Peyton Manning QBs, maybe the Packers or da Bears, and a few select East Coast teams – that’s all that matters in their world.

30. I’m not sure if many of you follow any of the Hawks on twitter or not – but some of those guys are hungry and ready to rock in ’13. I swear ET would put the pads on tomorrow if he could rock the house of some poor unsuspecting opponent.

I also like and get a kick out of the repore that Okung and Unger seem to have.

31. “repoire”

32. chuck_easton says:

BobbyK,

I have been following the Unger/Okung back and forth as well. The two guys are very much the heart and soul of this o-line. I know some people questioned when the team gave Unger the big raise and long term contract. He hadn’t proved anything yet, we kept hearing.

What I saw was a guy that was quietly becoming the leader of the line. To me Unger is the next incarnation of Robbie Tobeck, but slightly better in skill if that’s possible. The Center is the QB of the line. He makes all the line calls. Far and away the Center has to be the smartest, meanest, and usually craziest guy on the line. Unger has that. That is why I never understood the team leaving Spencer there other than Spencer refused to play any other position. It was clear that Spencer couldn’t think the game fast enough in real time and always appeared to be outsmarted by the D. I blame several years of Seattle appearing to have a bad line on bad in game calls by Spencer.

I coach O-line for Bantam (13-14 year olds). I always want my Center to be the player that has the most between his ears. Doesn’t have to be the biggest, the strongest, or the best player, but he has to be able to think on his feet. He has to be able to take control of the huddle. He has to come up to the line and immediately recognize if the defensive alignment is such the the called play won’t work. He either has to chance the blocking call to make the play work, or in my team’s case, my center had the ability to turn to the QB and suggest an audible.

Here’s some fun ET for y’all…

34. chuck – I agree. I remember wanting Unger in the draft and thinking that he was a center and not a guard (or RT). I even remember Unger (before being drafted by the Seahawks) even saying that he’d play anywhere for anyone but that his best position was center (the one he liked most, too). And then got stuck playing guard because of Chris Spencer. And then we had to sit through the comments of “if he was good enough to beat out Spencer then he’d be playing there garbage.” That drove me nuts. I’m so glad he’s our heart and soul on the OL and he’s playing the exact position he should be at.

35. Thanks, Duke. I remember being so jacked about that pick at the 2:00 mark on the video.

36. chuck_easton says:

BobbyK,

While I did buy the idea that the coaches thought the team was better with Unger at Guard and Spencer at Center I never thought it was because Spencer was a better Center. I thought it had more to do with the idea that the drop off from Unger to Spencer at Center was less than the drop off from Unger to Spencer at guard.

The combination of Spencer at Center and Unger at guard was better than the combination of Unger at Center and Spencer at Guard. But either way Unger was the better of the two at both positions. People just assumed that if Unger was the better Center then the team would have him there.

As an o-line coach I can honestly say you can’t always play a guy at his best position if it ends up making the overall line worse. There are times your best lineman has to play out of his best position because putting another guy in that position makes for a stronger line even if the guy playing that position isn’t as good as your best lineman.

I can see that this is going to be the problem with KC this year if Albert isn’t traded. Fisher can and should be the starting LT, but as long as Albert is still on the team it will likely make for a stronger line to have Albert at LT and Fisher at RT than the reverse.

37. raymaines says:

Chuck – This is the best thing I’ve read in the last five years or more on this blog:

“That is why Unger was voted pro-bowl and all pro Center. The guy is smart as a whip. Seattle has two players in Okung and Unger that will anchor this line for the next 10 or so years. If Carp comes around at LG and we can find a good to above average RG the team will thrive. I’m not worried about Breno at RT. He is what I want in my RT. He’s big, mean, and just a little past the edge. I always want a RT that you have to reign in and tell them to back off than a RT that you have to keep pushing to be more aggressive.”

I can only add that I’m 99% happy with BrenoG and all I want for my birthday is really good RG. Go Hogs! Ooops, I mean Go ‘Hawks.

38. “I’m not sure if many of you follow any of the Hawks on twitter or not – but some of those guys are hungry and ready to rock in ’13.”

I do – and the other great thing to see, as you alluded to, is how much this team seems to like one another. Really good chemistry on this team. I recall ET’s post from the other day that was simply, “Man, I have some great teammates”

39. I’m normally the type of person who likes to think about the long-term success and even if the line took a bit of a step back with Unger at C and Spencer at G, you knew (at least I did) that only one of them was a long-term answer on this team so you should play him where he’s going to play instead of the short-term or band-aid mentality.

40. SeaKings says:

While I must agree that I don’t like anyone ripping a Seahawk in the press, I could care less what Prisco says as I think ‘First Name Russell, Last Name Wilson’ has a track record of making pundits eat their words and I think he is the last person looking for billboard material to motivate him.

On another note, I agree with others, I have a Seahawks hangover and can’t wait for the season to start. I’ll have to keep watching more Youtube clips like the one from Duke on ET to sustain me until rookie camp.

41. DreadHawks says:

@ BobbbyK, thats what will make this O-Line so special.When they become a unit on and off the field then they will become special. That is what the made the 04-06 line so special. They were together all the time. My fondest memory of them was at training camp in Eastern Washington everybody was out stretching and in the distance they came.They were walking side by side in the positions they played on the line and they gave the term swagger new meaning. It was awesome to see. I dream our O-Line today can be like that. Watch out when they do!

42. Chuck, I too really liked your post. It reminded me of PC saying that Breno was the player he would most want with him in a dark alley.

I keep wondering why we never hear anything about Marshawn’s California case.

I’m glad Willson has 2 L’s in his name so we don’t have to use first initials on uniforms.

This training camp is going to be very interesting. I wish I could go every day like the good old days in Cheney.

43. Southendzone says:

pdway, agree 100%, ET looks committed from how he communicates on twitter and also in games at the end of last year. Remember how fired up he was in the probowl? It was like he had all this left over emotion from the end of the ATL game. He was so intense in that game.

There was a special feeling going on for the Hawks at the end of last year and if they can keep that rolling this season we can do something in 2013.

44. hawkfan777 says:

Prisco’s number one motivation is causing controversy. I dont think he believes half of the things he writes but if it gets people talking, he did his job. He is not a good sportswriter though. A good sportswriter speaks what he truly feels is the truth and doesn’t try to sell his material. Pete Prisco is a National Enquirer type writer. He always has been.

45. ruminator1 says:

saw RW and his wife at the Mariner game today. he was introduced and got a standing cheer. during the game he jumped to his feet after 2 home runs, cheered defensive plays, acted totally like a fan. right now, he owns this town. most fans left him alone; one idiot pressed far and got an autograph.

46. ““He’s a very tough, physical kid,” Carroll said about Harper. “We really like that element that he brings that’s different from the rest of our guys.”

PC 4/27/13

My thoughts exactly.

GO HAWKS!

47. The more I look back at that second round, the more I’m convinced Schneider and Carroll got punked by the 49ers when the 49ers stepped in front of Seattle to take TE Vance McDonald.

Did Carroll and Schneider covet McDonald? We will never know, but in the press conference they didn’t seem very effusive about selecting Christine Michael. They seemed defensive and essentially said it was the best they could do in the situation.

Both Seattle and San Francisco needed another TE. There were four elite TEs worthy of 1st/2nd round picks: Eifert, Ertz, Escobar, and McDonald. Escobar went higher than expected, to Dallas at 47, and then only McDonald was left. The Niners traded up to 55, just ahead of Seattle to take McDonald, and the Seahawks immediately traded down once McDonald was gone.

I think Harbaugh is snickering at Carroll right now. Harbaugh has what he needs to run the best 2-TE offense in the NFC; Carroll doesn’t.

48. ChrisHolmes says:

PC doesn’t need a 2TE offense. He has a 5WR offense and RW pulling the trigger.

Carroll will be the one snickering when we lay the wood to the 49ers again this year.

49. He needs a good 2-TE offense because their WRs suck in comparison to ours.

50. If Carroll didn’t want a 2-TE offense, he wouldn’t have signed Kellen Winslow Jr, the biggest pain-in-the-arse in the league, and put up with him throughout last year’s training camp practicing 2-TE offensive sets before cutting him at the end of training camp. He also wouldn’t have then signed Evan Moore, the only pass receiving TE he could find to trade for, and given the kid a ton of chances even though he was terrible. And after that experiment failed, he then risked a 5th round draft choice on unknown and unproven Luke Willson. This is the picture of a team that is really searching for a receiving TE.

51. What’s interesting to me is that Prisco said the exact opposite about Wilson at the end of last season. Google it and you find several articles where Prisco says “I was dead wrong about Russel Wilson, he is a great QB, not reliant on a gimmick.”

It’s obvious he’s just trying to make some waves.

What’s even more interesting, is that people don’t realize that teams have already figured it out. Atlanta completely shut down the read option against Seattle. Then did it again the next week against SF. The result? Both teams struggled at first, adjusted, and came back against them.

The difference with Seattle and SF is they don’t rely on the read option. It is simply an extension of their offenses.

52. Southendzone says:

Stevos that is a very interesting theory and you make a good argument. It does seem to me that SF is playing a reactionary game in some regards to our Seahawks. By this I mean the rumors of them being interested in Harvin (Even if they weren’t they might have feigned it and boosted our trade price), the signing of Boldin, Namdi, etc. To me it didn’t always seem like they were pursuing their own agenda but doing it with the Hawks in mind.

The part I don’t buy as supporting it is that the Hawks ‘immediately traded down once McDonald was gone’. The Hawks had #56, and trades never occur before it’s your turn to pick so they traded the pick EXACTLY when EVERY team trades a pick, when they are on the clock.

53. montanamike2 says:

I hope this new kid, Fells is another zinger, he might be too raw right away but the soft hands and size are intriguing.

54. I do believe they are looking to upgrade TE – I don’t think they are totally going to sell out to get it but they are going to try and do what they can to get it.

Harbaugh knows this and this is also what he wants – heck didn’t he run a 3 TE offense at Stanford.

SF, to me is like GB/NO/NE/Pitt, this is what we do – come try and stop us. Seattle seems to be to be a more balanced team that favors the run, but we can pass it if we need to, run it pretty much whenever we want to.

If we can stop SF running game, we will beat them more often than not.

55. montanamike2 says:

We shored up the lines on both sides of the ball and took a few luxery picks. Really a kid getting arrested right before the draft? Really?
    Mora’s dream team! I love it.

56. SouthEndZone — yeah, that is very true. Teams trade their picks when they are on the clock. We don’t know whether the Seahawks would have picked McDonald instead of trading the pick. I hope that’s not true, but my impression is that whomever it was Carroll and Schneider hoped to get at #56 was gone.

That said, I think we can beat SF this year whether we can run a lot of 2-TE offense or not. Our offense should be pretty dammed exciting, and will give Harbaugh and Co fits.

57. HonHawksLSB says:

Not sure everyone’s stance on fantasy football, but if you look from a pure fantasy production standpoint over the 2nd half of the season RW was top 2.

#1 was U Mad Bro was #1

To me that’s no fluke.

For the Kap fans he was #12.

58. HonHawksLSB says:

Duke- I like your style, also slightly hung over!!

59. Rookie camps are May 11,12 I think. Can’t wait to hear how guys step up and see who is ready to go.

Thought it was pretty cool that RW gave the big fist pump when the M’s showed a kid on the big screen with a RW jersey on! Pretty cool

60. HonHawks — congrats on your mock draft win (?)

Tell Eric you want season tickets for your prize! ;-)

61. banosser says:

“Prisco’s number one motivation is causing controversy. I dont think he believes half of the things he writes but if it gets people talking, he did his job.”

Agree completely… and therefore the trashy depths to which the ‘media’ has sunk… Cosell would puke at what we are subjected to…

62. banosser says:

@ maltz “people don’t realize that teams have already figured it out. Atlanta completely shut down the read option against Seattle.”

I must disagree… all thru the first half of that game I felt RW had numerous opportunities to fake the handoff to Lynch and take it around the end as the DE was crashing, only to not remove it from Lynch’s belly and Lynch got immediately stuffed.. I felt RW played way to conservatively with the read option in the first half.. like he was told to.. I was quite disappointed with it.. but it didn’t lose us that game.. Clem’s absence did

63. raymaines says:

I wonder if teams have figured out the draw play? How about the screen pass? Oh my God, what will we do when other teams figure out the off tackle plunge?

It’s really not about figuring it out so much as it’s about actually stopping it. I’m thinking our QB is smarter than your linebacker so our read option is going to work forever. And as we have all agreed, it’s only a small wrinkle in the playbook so it’s no big deal even if teams do “figure it out.”

64. HonHawksLSB says:

Stevos – I heard Eric was getting the mock winner a job in the front office!! Hope it’s me :)

65. We really won’t know until two or three years from now how good this draft was. But none of the experts bother grading, say, the Seahawks draft of 2010. It produced three Pro-Bowl-caliber players and four starters, so I’d give it an ‘A.’ Thanks partly to Tim Ruskell’s trade for the Broncos first rounder, John Schneider started off with one of the best drafts in Seahawks history.

66. Good point. “two or three years from now” will be the right time to grade this draft.

67. There are a few – granted a FEW guys out there who will go back and regrade drafts – heck it would be a cool exercise – who cares if you had to eat some crow, would show you are an actual human

68. BTW – Today April 28th – is the day Kenny Easley was drafted in 1981

69. The only thing I questioned in this draft was taking two players from the same team who both failed drug tests. My guess is they probably did drugs together and now they are still together. One person with a pension for drugs might be able to stay clean with good influence around him. But having your old doping bud with you??? I seriously question JS on that move.

70. Brinson made me laugh when he said 3:52 “the seahawks first play was read option, and every play was read option all season”, and it sort of stymied him.

pete prisco uses way too many hand gestures for me. can’t even watch him talk. keeps banging the table.

71. montanamike2 says:

Prisco= lazy bad journalism.

72. montanamike2 says:

I think a few of these picks can contribute right away, epecially Jesse Williams, we also have some solid depth. SF can’t pay half of their picks.

73. Southendzone says:

Besides the fact we didn’t run read option all that much last year, with Harvin in here and RW with a full year of experience I expect the offense to change quite a bit from last season.

I’m hoping that those WR screens that I hated last year will become effective with Harvin and I won’t have to hide my head under a pillow every time they run one.

74. xcman – Great point!

75. bbnate420 says:

I have a sneaking suspicious about why Prisco looked darker than usual in that video. I think it may have something to do with where he’s had his head crammed.

76. bbnate420 says:

*suspicion

77. montanamike2 says:

That’s OK we needed the diss so we have a chip on our shoulder. Finally we have someone to prove wrong and eat crow, last year it was Kiper, this year it’s Prisco.

Can someone explain to me why we’re supposed to care what Pete Prisco has to say? Honestly, he’s completely irrelevant. (At least in my opinion.)

79. Ha, yes I agree. Prisco is completely irrelevant AND I love seeing our team disrespected in the national press. I think they are so focused right now that none of this stuff matter at all to them.

But then again, I hope the disrespect makes them mad as hell.

80. We also have the schedule makers to be mad at. Maybe they purposely made it difficult for Seattle because San Francisco is a bigger market and therefore a preferable super bowl team.

81. chuck_easton says:

OK, I wake up to the news that the Jets have finally come to their senses and cut Tebow. Well, they had to bring in a Seahawk exec to do the right thing. While I wasn’t there I can imagine the conversation went like this:

Idzik: Tim, we’ve decided to move on without you. sorry.

Tebow: As the good Lord says “This too shall pass”

Idzik: That’s the problem Tim. If you could only pass we might not be having this conversation.

Then I had my first daymare of the day. What if??????? Oh, I can’t even begin to finish that thought.

Please somebody go lock PC in a room with no phone and internet for a week or so. We know how he loves reclamation projects. I just can’t bring myself to think of that. But it’s stuck there for some reason.

That’s it, I’m heading out to the ledge as a pre-emptive strike. I won’t come in until I know the danger has passed.

82. montanamike2 says:

Chuck i had the same panick attack, but then i remembered Pete didn’t bring in “hard knocks” because he doesn’t want the distraction,(circus).
    I also remembered RW dissed him by saying the guy couldn’t throw the ball in Grudents camp. I hope RW already told Pete not to bring him in.

83. Chuck, he might be our next Full Back.

84. I have no problem bringing Tebow in to be the guy, if RW goes down, to be in charge of the two-minute offense. Just don’t let him play the first 28 minutes of the first half or maybe even the first 58 minutes of each game instead. But I’m pretty sure I’d trust Tebow more to bring this team 60 yards in a minute to kick a game winning field goal than I would with Quinn.

85. yankinta says:

For the Record Pete Prisco, I take RW over Luck, anyday of the week and TWICE on Sundays!!!

Luck is just hyped up by the media,, and he will not have a better year this year, than last year.

86. yankinta says:

And that has been my position since the 2012 Draft before we picked RW with our 75th overall pick.

87. chuck_easton says:

BobbyK and Pabs,

The biggest issue I have with Tebow is he couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn at 10 yards if he tried to throw. The ball would either bounce 3 feet in front of the barn or it would sail over the top.

I like Tebow the athlete. I like his work ethic. I like that he tries to make himself better. He just isn’t an NFL QB. If he would admit to himself that he is never going to be a full time QB and accept a position switch to TE/FB or possibly even FS/LB he might actually have a long and productive career.

I also don’t like the fact that with Tebow comes the Tebowmaniacs. Those die hard fans of Tebow the person, the beliefs, the chosen one.

While I don’t see one single situation where any Seahawk fan would boo Wilson after his first incompletion/interception and start screaming to put timmay in, I would expect timmay’s legon of zealots to migrate to the Seattle bandwagon and start demanding to see Tebow start if Wilson has one or two rough games to start the season.

Tebow brings an entourage that can become the distraction. I have never seen one statement from Tebow himself that promotes the distraction, but he is very adept at staying willfully silent while his adoring legon of zealots scream for the ‘chosen one’ to be put in because he is already the best QB on the roster and if people would just ‘give him a legitimate chance’ he’d be a franchise QB.

At some point Tebow could have ended all the drama, all the circus, the infighting in the lockerroom of two teams now, by simply coming out and saying to his worshipers “Hey, thanks for the support and all, but I am the backup QB and FILLINTHEBLANK is this team’s starting QB. I’m just here to do whatever I can to support the team”. He has never come out and said that, but instead chooses to allow the mob mentality to work for him.

Tim Tebow is the most Machiavellian person I have ever seen in the NFL in that he loves what is happening, but his fingers are never actually caught in the cookie jar. It’s always everyone else.

88. juliusvrooder says:

So we got a Canadian who has already been drafted by the MLB but likes the rush of winning football games, an Australian with tatoos on his face, and a tackle so nasty he got kicked off the freakin SOONERS!

My kinda draft!

89. bbnate420 says:

Albert Breer was saying this morning that Tebow should look at Mike Rob as an example of what he should do going forward. I thought that was pretty intelligent. I’m fairly doubtful about him finding a job in the NFL if he is set on being a QB. He could always go up to Canada and then you could follow him closely, Chuck!