Morning links: Offseason programs begin today

Post by Eric Williams on April 15, 2013 at 8:10 am with 87 Comments »
April 15, 2013 8:10 am
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson passes during NFL football rookie minicamp, Friday, May 11, 2012, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Brian McIntyre of Yahoo Sports notes that offseason workout programs for 21 teams, including the Seahawks, begin today.

NFL teams with eight new coaches were allowed to begin offseason work at the beginning of April.

“Phase One” of offseason work consists of weight room conditioning and any rehab work players need by the team’s training staff.

McIntyre: “These 21 teams are entering “Phase One” of the program, a two-week period that is limited to strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation only. The only coaches allowed on-field contact with the players are full- and part-time strength and conditioning coaches, and head coaches and position coaches are not even allowed to observe the workouts, which are limited to “dead ball” activities. Quarterbacks can throw to uncovered receivers and no helmets are allowed to be worn.”

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com provides more information on Seattle’s offseason program here.

Doug Baldwin provides some footage of Seattle players working out in L.A. in his latest addition of The Fresh Files in the video below.

ESPN’s John Clayton talks with Seahawks center Max Unger, who says the Pistol is here to stay.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated had this to say about Seattle signing cornerback Antoine Winfield. King: “I think the Antoine Winfield signing by Seattle is another good one — in part because of the plans the Seahawks have for the 35-year-old Winfield. Though Winfield played 1,100 snaps last season, it’d be a fluke if he matched that this season. The Seahawks plan to use him in the nickel role, which means maybe 600 snaps a game. Not even sure he’ll hold up playing that much, but at least he has a chance to stay on the field if he’s not asked to play every snap. And he’ll do it for less than the $3 million he would have gotten guaranteed in Minnesota to stay. Clearly Winfield was motivated by the chance to play with a Super Bowl contender.”

Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer writes that the Panthers had their eye on Russell Wilson in last year’s draft, thinking he would be a good option to backup Cam Newton.

University of Washington cornerback Desmond Trufant will not attend the NFL Draft in New York because of his grandfather’s illness.

Bob Kaupang of Rants Sports argues why Sidney Rice should be considered a No. 1 receiver.

Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk writes that the NFL’s regular-season schedule will not be release tomorrow, as expected. The league’s vice president of communications Greg Aiello tells Florio it could be another week or two before the schedule is released.

Morning links

I agree with Peter King about Winfield.

2. ohiohawkfan says:

Except maybe the “600 snaps a game” comment. Obviously this is a typo.

3. yankinta says:

So far 2 of my Top 3 wish-list have come true. Thank you Seahawks FO for signing the best Slot CB in the GAME.!!! :)

I guess, I am not the only one that absolutely loved this,, below is the grade by WalterFootball.com

“Seahawks sign CB Antoine Winfield (1 year, $3M; $1M guaranteed): A+ Grade,,
    General manager John Schneider is seriously trolling the entire NFL right now. I don’t get what sort of voodoo he’s using to cheaply reel in these awesome free agents, but it really has to be pissing off the rest of the NFC West. Antoine Winfield was the top cornerback on the market by far, so getting him for just $3 million in 2013 is one hell of a deal. The Seahawks already had the top corner duo in the NFL. Now, they have the best nickel.”

4. bbnate420 says:

Don’t link BobbyK unless he posts within 2 days of a post!

5. bbnate420 says:

Just Kidding about BobbyK, in case anyone wants to get their panties in a bunch.

6. bbnate420 says:

BobbyK, I agree that Rice is a number one receiver. I have posted his catches per targets number. I’m not complaining about that, in case anyone thinks I am. It’s available form anyone. But comparing him to Fitzgerald is going out on a limb to me. Fitz has no consistent player getting the ball to him. Here’s a question. Would you trade Rice for Fitz str8 up? I doubt many would. Regardless, I think Rice is a top 15 WR in terms of production per chances.

7. bbnate420 says:

*I think most would

8. FleaFlicker says:

Off-season program gearing up. Draft next week. Let the craziness begin!

All I ask is that we keep it civil….

9. chuck_easton says:

bbnate,

Have to agree with you on the comparison of Rice and Fitz. I’d take a straight up trade for Fitz and I’d throw in the loser of the Portis/Quinn competition to sweeten the deal. Seattle would still get the better end.

That doesn’t mean Rice is not a #1 receiver. There are very few teams out there that Rice would not step in on and be the immediate #1. Detroit with Johnson, Arizona with Fitz and Atlanta with White/Jones come to mind. Can’t think of another team that has a #1 that is so far superior to Rice that there wouldn’t at least be a debate as to who was the true #1.

I would, in my humble opinion, put Rice ahead of Marshall in Chi, Wallace in Miami, Craptree in SF (not a typo), and Bryant in Dallas.

Just my opinion, but I think Rice has that talent. And now with a very good QB (that he didn’t have at Minnesota except his one year with Favre…oh yeah, his best year) and complimentary WR’s in Harvin and Tate I see Rice having more production this year. Harvin will draw all the attention and that will leave Rice open for more catches. He has the hands. He doesn’t drop what is thrown his way.

10. chuck_easton says:

Well Flea, we would keep it civil if everyone just agreed with FILL-In-THE-BLANK’s postings! :)

I don’t see an issue with civility this week or next with the draft. After all we are all going to be collectively going HUH?????? at a minimum of one of Seattle’s draft choices.

11. Another great article BobbyK! Also, thanx Mr Williams for the interesting article about CAR wanting RW to back up Newton, too. About CAR’s (OC?) going to CLE maybe ending CAR’s spread-option, pretty hard to believe…

12. raymaines says:

Isn’t “#1 Receiver” more the name of the position than an evaluation of the guy playing that position?

13. I think a #1WR is the clear first target DCs feel they must scheme to take away from the QBs their defense faces. A #1WR could play X, Y, or Z, or SE, flanker or slot. When SEA beat CAR in the postseason of ’05, SEA’s DC took away CAR’s #1WR Steve Smith by making him run through a gauntlet of press coverage.

14. Is Ray Rhodes still with CLE?

Chuck, If Harvin is a complimentary WR who will draw all the attention and leave Rice open for more catches wouldn’t that make Harvin the #1 WR on the team?

16. ohiohawkfan says:

WR#1 vs. WR#2. Potatoes, tomatoes. Who cares. I just love this team and love the complexity these guys create for opposing defenses.

17. FleaFlicker says:

As a good friend of mine has been saying for the last two seasons: the ‘Hawks need a “scary” guy. A super fast or a super talented play maker that requires hours of prep by next week’s defense, a dude who has a handful of defenders keying off his every move.

We now have that “scary” guy. His name is Percy. Whether or not we want to call him a WR, a slot receiver, an ad-hoc running back….don’t matter. And Percy is going to make Sydney’s options all the more wide open.

I think BobbyK makes a similar point in his article. Harvin will likely be the YAC king. But I think Sydney will still be the #1 receiver in terms of yards and overall scoring production.

18. SandpointHawk says:

Reading the Yahoo article on workout bonuses I’m wondering if Moffitt has a performance based workout bonus?

Then reading Farnsworth I get to this quote “I kind of like the way it went,” strong safety Kam Chancellor said. “We started out with the whole team just working out together, pushing each other to get stronger, faster, quicker, smarter in the classroom.” …again I’m hoping the boys put some pressure on Moffitt to get in shape this year….

I would really miss him on The Real Rob Report…

BobbyK- Your articles have been for the most part good,( except for the one on trading Wilson and keeping Flynn). Although you did manage to get things stirred up in the comments section on that one, lol.

I have to disagree with the last part of this latest article when you say-

“Wilson has a No. 1 receiver, and it’s time for Bevell to call plays to get the ball to Rice like he did when he was the offensive coordinator for the Vikings in 2009. If Wilson puts up Pro Bowl-worthy stats in 2013, you can bet that Rice will too.”

Wilson did put up Pro Bowl- worthy stats in 2012 so I don’t see how Rice will forsure put up ProBowl worthy stats this year if Wilson does it again. Especially now that Harvin is here to share the rock.

I do hope to see at least one or two of our WRs make it to the ProBowl.

#1 receiver can certainly be a subjective discussion, but Rice is a #1 to me over Harvin, because Rice can beat double teams, able to play all 3 receiver positions, is the first receiver DCs need to account for, and doesn’t need specific packages to be effective. As dynamic as Harvin is, I don’t see him that way. He will attract attention from the defense, obviously, and that will make Rice more productive, but Rice will be more of a feature than Harvin in the passing game. He certainly was when they played together in Minn. under Bevell.

21. chuck_easton says:

Georgia,

I don’t consider Harvin a #1 because he is not a SE. It is rare to have a slot reciever be the teams #1. They can lead the team in receptions (ala Baldwin two years ago), but for a WR to have the #1 designtation on a team they have to be a starter that plays the majority of the snaps and usually at the SE or Flanker position.

Harvin has never been used as a SE. He is a versatile player in that he can be in the slot, the backfield or can go wide. But he does not have one main position. That is Rice. That is why Rice is the traditional #1 on this team.

You can have a Harvin, or a Welker for NE that lead their team in yards and catches but that doesn’t make them the team’s #1 WR. Baldwin was not the teams #1 receiver two years ago.

Hope that makes sense. From a coaching standpoint the WR that is on the field for the start of every game, at the same position (baring an injury) is that team’s #1. That is Rice.

22. Thanks Eric. I didn’t think you checked. :)

Georgia – Wilson is going to throw for more yards next year and Rice will be on the receiving end of a bunch of them. That was my main point. Sorry for the confusion.

Writing about the Hawks is fun – and I’m getting rich from it. I wrote 31 articles last month and made $30.98 – almost a dollar per article! With any luck, I’ll make over a dollar on the Rice article today. :)

Chuck,
    I see. I was thinking in regards to who really is the better WR, or the go to guy, or the most valuable WR.

At any rate We are going to have the best group of WRs perhaps in the NFL this year, and the best group in Seahawks history imo. And that’s not even counting how well our RBs and TEs can catch.

When was the last time we could say that!

Here is an interesting top 100 rankings of NFL WR-

Harvins at #2
    Rice at #21
    Tate at #23
    Baldwin at #61

BobbyK- $30.98? Lol. What determines how much you get paid? By how many comments you get? Or how long the article?

25. ChrisHolmes says:

If PC takes the training wheels off in Week #1 and starts letting Wilson and Co. throw the rock early and often, yep, Rice can put up big numbers.

Obviously we can (and should) run the ball with our beast. But just on paper this team looks, to me anyway, like a team that can throw a lot and be effective at it. I don’t see any reason we can’t throw frequently on first and second down…

26. Yeah, throw early build up a lead and then run heavy.

27. Helenahawk says:

Remember when the Hawks offense was predictable? I do.
    Now with Wilson able to feed the ball to Marshawn, Percy, Sidney, Golden, Doug, or Zach, who does an opposing defense key on? And if they do manage to lock on all of those weapons, Wilson burns them with his feet!
    Bevell must be in OC heaven! This will be a fun year, I’m thinking.
    Oh by the way, our defense is a killer as well! And then there is the 12th man, heh, heh.
    How much longer until football is back?

28. I think Rice gets better just because I believe Wilson will be better. There were times, all the way to the Atlanta game, that Wilson did the smart safe thing and hit the check down receiver instead of trusting Rice would be open.

Now that Wilson has more experience at NFL defenses I think he will see Rice more often and be able to make the read better.

I don’t think we are going to be a “passing team” but I do believe there will be more yards to be had with a full year and a full off season for these guys to work together.

29. The new crowd rules will be interesting;

Did anyone see they can use video to try and get the crowd loud at any time, and use audio to get the crowd going until 20 secs on the game clock – NFL trying to take away the 12th man advantage ;)

30. Singularitarian says:

The whole practice thing is a joke. You pay these guys millions but can’t work them out more hours than a middle school team. What a joke. If you really want to prevent injuries, keeping players in good shape year round is the way to do it. good thing we’ve got a qb like Wilson who can get players on the same page during the offseason

31. bbnate420 says:

Chuck, I am a big fan of Rice. I don’t know for sure if I’d put him in front of Marshall, but it’s definitely not an exact science IMO comparing receivers. I definitely think Rice gets too little respect around here.

32. bbnate420 says:

As far as keeping it civil, I know I’m not close to perfect on that front, nor are most people, but this blog is exceedingly better than most in that regard. If you need some proof, go peruse the comments on some YouTube posts. Racist and ignorant comments are the norm.

33. bbnate420 says:

Singularitarian, you definitely have a point, but the evidence suggests that hitting must be kept to a minimum. That doesn’t/shouldn’t preclude teams from working out like RW and the boys are recently. That kind of timing work without hitting is invaluable IMO. The less teams hit in TC and practice the worse tackling will likely get, but I certainly can handle that if it means significantly better health for the players long term and helps carry the game into the future.

34. chuck_easton says:

Singularitarian,

The work rules are the result of the players demanding them in the last CBA.

They pushed for fewer mandatory camps, fewer days of contact, less time where they can be pushed by the team.

Coaches hate it. But just ask the Seahawks what happens when you allow an OTA to get a little overly aggressive? You get a nice little fine from the league.

This isn’t teams/coaches babying the players. This is players wanting to have to work less.

35. bbnate420 says:

Chuck, you’re right that less hitting days were collectively bargained, but I would bet that they would’ve gotten that anyways. The financial suits against the NFL precipitate that. High School teams in the US at least have adopted the same criteria, since they are dealing with minors. The NCAA is behind. The players are technically adults and have no real voice. NCAA players have no union.

The more data that is collected about head trauma and significant hits in games like like football that lead to it, the more this will become an issue. I don’t have any kids. I know a lot of people here do. How do you guys feel about exposing your kids to brain damage if it was clear that’s what is happening?

36. Singularitarian says:

I understand what it is. Players are always wanting to do less. I’m not saying they should be hitting full speed. What I’m saying is Carroll should be able to coach his team up in the off season if he wants. Not even manditory, but at least get together with his players and coach em up. He is not even allowed in the building while guys lift weights. That to me is a joke

37. bbnate420 says:

Singularitarian, the problem with that is that they already have VOLUNTARY workouts. They really aren’t. Pretty much every one treats players that don’t take part in those as pieces of shit. There’s really no such thing as voluntary workouts in the NFL. If time off and hitting restrictions aren’t mandated, I would argue they wouldn’t happen.

38. freedom_X says:

Unfortunately, I disagree with BobbyK’s conclusions in his article.

Larry Fitzgerald has proven he can put up huge numbers many, many, many times over his career. And he didn’t have elite QB’s that whole time, far from it.

Rice has done it once. An unkind person could call Rice a one-year wonder (but I wouldn’t say that.)

Fitzgerald doesn’t miss games due to injury. Rice has missed many games, and if I’m not mistaken, last season was the only the 2nd one in his career where he played all 16 games. Compare that to Fitzgerald, who hasn’t missed a game in the past 6 years. But it’s great that Rice most recent season was a healthy one – hopefully past injuries were just bad luck and he’s on a good luck streak now.

I definitely agree Rice’s numbers were deflated this season due to the offense. I’m not disappointed in his production given those circumstances. But #1 receiver is a subjective term. Undoubtedly, Rice is Seattle’s #1 receiver. But I don’t see defenses triple-covering him or devising game plans to stop him.

When that happens, then I’ll believe he’s a top 10 receiver in this league. (which is what I kind of think the real question is.) After all, Darius Heyward-Bey could have been Oakland’s #1 receiver…

39. HonHawksLSB says:

I’m a little baffled by the responses on what one would consider a #1 WR. It’s pretty simple if you ask me… Consistent Production. No matter what QB or what scheme it’s all about the results on the field year in and year out.

The only WR that you could compare Fitz to on our roster from a Production standpoint is Harvin.

Potential is a result of a bunch of maybes strung together to make a point. Production is tangible.

Percy Harvin is our #1 WR and that is a fact. Ask any DC on the other 32 teams and they will tell you the same.

40. No hitting? Y’all talkin bout Mariners again?

41. I’m very interested in the progress of Stephen Williams. Look at how they tried to find that big WR last year and how JS said they got their man when he signed. That is the under the radar camp guy for me.

42. bbnate420 says:

Sidney Rice= 51 catches,7 TDs in 80 targets. Feel free to post better figures from other WRs. And I’m not saying that Rice is the best #1, not even close.

BTW, I hope no one here knew anyone in Boston that was injured by the blasts. I hope for the best for everyone there. BTW, we should all take a step back. The people responsible will be found. We’ve overreacted as a nation before. I have no doubt that they will be found and dealt with.

43. SandpointHawk says:

Good one klm008, in fact by far the best one of the day…

HosHawksLSB – So would you have then considered Bobby Engram a #1?

45. bbnate420 says:

Leave the M’s alone. Low hanging fruit.

46. freedom – I have added this to the article just for you. :)
    “To be clear, in the grad scheme of things, I do not think Rice is as good as Fitzgerald, but I do think he’s one of the better receivers in the NFL.”

We can all agree to disagree at times and I disagree that Harvin is the #1 this year. Granted he was a rookie the last time they played together but Rice was the #1 in MN when he and Harvin played together the first time around and Rice is going to remain the #1 this time around. That’s not to say Harvin won’t have as big of an impact because I expect a couple of kicks to be returned for TDs this year and that’s a huge impact from special teams, too (in addition to being a good WR).

47. IdahoHawk says:

Nfl do delay release of schedule. This day sucks

48. Soggybuc says:

Pass to open up the run? what team have you been watching? Pete will run whenever he wants to just to show the other team he can F’ing do that at will with Beast and his pet Bulldog!
    The biggest plus to come out RW’s fantastic rookie campaign is that unlike Tavaris you stack the box at your own peril. then again failing to stack the box is exactly what they want you to do!

49. freedom_X says:

Thanks Bobby. :)

I had my questions about the QB quality argument – Fitzgerald had a pretty big 2011 season with the passes come from the same QB crew (Kolb and Skelton anyway.)

But thinking about that more, could it be that Fitzgerald has hit the wall and is in decline? I don’t spend a lot of time thinking about the Cardinals team composition (other than hoping it stinks) but I wonder if there are other factors relating to Fitzgerald’s mediocre (for him) production in 2012, with most of his targets coming from the same two QB’s that got him his excellent 2011 numbers.

So in a way, maybe Rice is the equal of Fitzgerald, if Fitzgerald is in decline. But of course, just as it takes multiple good seasons to prove a player is elite, it takes more than one bad season to prove a player has lost their status.

HonHawksLSB- Good points.

For the sake of further silly arguments let’s just agree that we have two #1s. Harvin 1-A, and Rice 1-B. Not a bad thing at all.

BTW- Unfortunately Bobby Engram was indeed our #1 WR due to the catching incompetence of the rest of the WRs, RBs and TEs.

Poor Hasselbeck, If he only had the receiving group that we have now.

In 2007 Engram was the feature WR due to a horrific rash of injuries, and that would be the only time in his Seahawk career he could be considered a “#1″. He was never a feature receiver prior to or after that. That doesn’t diminish how reliable or consistent he was, however.

53. raymaines says:

I’m glad to know there are differing opinions about the concept of “#1 Receiver”. Thank you all for your thoughts.

Agree about the injuries. And on top of that the catching incompetence of the rest of the WRs, RBs and TEs made it even more incredible how Hasselbeck could keep his cool and still put up decent numbers.

55. I should be glad for the escape, but the business in boston has taken all the fun out of this day.

I dont even have the heart to discuss the religion of sidney rice or Bobby Engram, so you know Im out of it…

Was this a Domestic bombing?

57. We have 17 people from my area there as a group- all are safe but very shaken. The gentleman who gets knocked off his feet in the CNN video I think is from Lake Stevens

58. princeaden says:

woofo,
    I have asked about Stephan Williams progress at last 5 times over the last 3 months and apparently it is of the most utmost secret. I’ve addressed the bloggers and Eric Williams and have had no response at all.

59. princeaden says:
  60. Largent was a #1 & Skansi #2. However, on 3rd downs, Skansi got a ton of looks. Usually it’s pretty dang clear who’s the #1. If not, that may be a good problem to have.

Jusjamn -I agree, this is a good problem to have. I wouldn’t be surpised at all if Baldwin or miller end up with the most catches this year.

62. what the heck is a #1 WR? Such a weird argument. There are split ends, tight ends, flankers, and slot receivers, h-backs, halfbacks, fullbacks, wingbacks, and I-backs. Which receiver gets targeted more often is due to how the offensive scheme is designed to match up against defenders. There is no such thing as a #1 wide receiver. All 11 players on offense must be #1 at executing their assigned role on any given play.

Lol. Nice try, Stevo. But you and I both know that isn’t true. Calvin Johnson? #1. Fitz? #1 Andre Johnson? #1. Etc…

64. HonHawksLSB says:

Duke- I would categorize that as a fluke season for Engram as you stated with the injuries. Sad to say but at times a team does not have a #1 WR. I would describe consistent production as several years of seasons similar to Engrams 2007 campaign.

Georgia- I agree that this Hawks team has 2 potential #1 WR and a QB that is accurate enough to maximize their targets.

Hawks have 1 #1 for sure Harvin, probable #1 Rice, probable #2 Tate and maybe # 2 Baldwin. Top to bottom a top 5 Wr quartet in the league.

65. Rice is our number 1 without a doubt, and he played like it when PC started having RW throw it more. Rice might have even acted like catalyst when he went to PC, and wanted the ball. The guy can ball, and while he might not be Fitz, Megatron, or Andre Johnson; he’s better than most #1 Wr in the league. Harvin and Tate are monsters though, depth!

66. Who the #1 receiver is is debatable (It’s also debatable whether that title means anything more than we’ve got some extra time on our hands). If you could select only one of Baldwin, Harvin, Rice or Tate for your team who would it be? That’s your personal #1 hawk WR.

What’s great is that we know without a doubt who our #1 QB is. Ditto for our #1 RB & #1 TE. There is no void at any offensive skill position which will keep defenses honest which in turn will allow for many miss match opportunities or one on one coverage for somebody. A defense will want to get to RW as quickly as possible. If they don’t, well, many of us will have ear to ear grins many times this season. The offense has reached a talent laden balance. We can run & pass effectively and creatively.

67. Defensive Semi-optimistic Mock 3
    56: 2-26 OhSU’s DT Johnathan Hankins (play him anywhere on the line and he’ll tear through blocks like paper, including 3-tech.) He will make sure there is no pocket. Seena buncha mocks having him go after SEA picks – really can’t believe it.
    87: 3-25 Mo’s WLB Zavier Gooden (move back about 13 spots to 100: 4-3)
    123: 4-26 Stanford’s SLB Chase Thomas
    138: 5-5 ‘Bama’s MLB Nico Johnson
    158: 5-25 LSU’s CB Tharold Simon
    194: 6-26 ‘Bama’s SS Robert Lester
    214: 7-8 CA (PA)’s FS Rontez Miles
    220: 7-14 FL St’s K Dustin Hopkins
    241: 7-35 OK St’s P&K Quinn Sharp
    242: 7-36 Auburn’s PR Onterio McCalebb

“Enough power to obliterate just about everyone else.”

Remember just a little over 3 years ago when the Seahawks were the team that was getting obliterated.

69. HawkFromDay1 says:

I am not a big Chase Thomas fan – he looked so stiff and un-athletic at the combine. The size and production are good, but just doesn’t seem terribly explosive.

Still a big big fan of Jamie Collins if you need a WILL.

I like Johnathan Hankins (even though OSU players make me ill – unless they are OG’s do they EVER pan out?). Jesse Williams from Bama looks amazing too (would require a trade up i would think) – no idea how he can be that big and move like he does…

70. I am okay with Thomas with a pick higher than 100. If he can bring the production great – if he can’t it wasn’t a great lose. that said, I am not sure he is the type of player the hawks would take for this system.

Maybe – but just have a strong feeling they would

71. chuck_easton says:

For the anti Breno crowd. Your prayers have been answered. Eban Britton is coming in for a look. There now. All your worries are gone!

72. HawkFromDay1 says:

Ha Chuck! I am admittedly part of the anti-Breno crowd (I like him fine – but he makes too many yardage donations to the other team).

And Chase Thomas seems like a Ruskell pick to me – high character, big-time college program, great production, low ceiling/high floor. Not really a Schneidaroll pick… (yes new sushi roll – the Schneidaroll!)

73. Ewalters7354 says:

Lol chuck!

74. Oh boy a Jacksonville cast off! just what we need!!

75. No stone unturned!

76. Youse guys – speaking of OLB Jamie Collins, how far does PC’s “3-4 players with 4-3 principles” go? Does it include the LBs as well as the DL? Rang ranks SoMiss’ JC overall at #74, so SEA might have to move up to get him with their 2nd rounder(?)

It absolutely does.

78. I just don’t see any way that either Johnathon Hankins or Jesse Williams are there at SEA’s #86 pick, we’d probably have to trade away some picks to get one of them, but I’d be sorely tempted…

Thanks Duke – Would that mean the 4-3 RDE = 3-4 WLB, so the 4-3 WLB = 3-4 RILB?

79. I have a feeling that we will tag at least 1 LB in the draft – they really haven’t taken any close looks at any LB’s (at least to our eyes)

I have talked about like Toomer, but I read somewhere last week that he is just having a real hard time picking up the schemes. Has all the tools to make the play but doesn’t understand the reads, assignments/etc. That would be too bad, he seems to fit exactly what they want physically

80. HawkFromDay1 says:

Hey guys – great article on the Hawks D (from a Philly paper on Chip Kelly’s new D) – this is pretty awesome. Basically, we play a 4-3 under (basically its a 3-4, where the weak side OLB [now a DE] rushes the passer 95% of the time).

Under (I think) means that the front 7 all take the gap on the weak side of the opposing lineman. (Except for the SAM, who has the gap on the strongside shoulder of the TE). The pictures they show indicate its either Cover 1 or Cover 3 (or Cover 0/man – no idea where Earl is in these pictures).

81. While not thrilled with the idea of Eben Britton, we picked up Omiyale last year, and he played very well in spot duty. So perhaps Cable and company are figuring it out. Any competition is better than no competition, and this should only make everyone better.

82. chuck_easton says:

Hawk,

Pete Carroll was one of the inventors and architects of this D along with George Seifert. It was first used with the 9rs back in the glory days. There the Hybrid DE/LB was called the Elephant position. Charles Haley had a great career playing the Elephant for the 49rs.

Pete Carroll took this defense with him to USC and then brought it to Seattle. In Carroll’s 4-3 Under the Hybrid end is the LEO position but it is the same defense that powered SF to their superbowls during the 80s.

83. SandpointHawk says:

They will only bring Britton in if they don’t resign Omiyale…

84. HawkFromDay1 says:

Chuck must be really old. “Back in my day the LEO was the ELEPHANT! And we liked it!” Congrats on the AARP membership!!!

Just playing Chuck – its really good context – this “innovation” has been around for over 20 years.

I guess it’s all cyclical – 4-3 under, to the 46, to the 3-4, to the Tampa-2, BACK to the 4-3 under… it’s like bell bottoms and wide ties.

85. bird_spit says:

This #1 talk, who is , who isnt.. wow, call me old school, but who cares. Win baby, just win. Hawks will have a scary package every down. Beastmode, with the option to pitch it to Percy or keep it with a QB quite capable of running it his self…man, this is throw back football. Absolutely magical to think my crappy hawks of the late oughts, is now ready to challenge for a title. Who could ask for more?

Cant wait for football.

86. It looks like Britt has signed elsewhere, maybe that’s a sign the hawks are close to signing omiyale. Assuming the price is right I think omiyale should get signed. I’m a big believer in ol depth, especially when your team has the potential to go deep into the playoffs.

And all this #1 #2 reciever talk is ridiculous. They are all what I would consider “playmakers”. They have different abilities that create different mismatches each week. So whoever has the better matchups offensively is goin to get the stats. Simply put, RW does not have to force his passes to 1 reciever all day to have success. He has a plethora of weapons that introduce different offesive strategy.