Morning links: More praise for Schneider

Post by Eric Williams on April 9, 2013 at 7:36 am with 31 Comments »
April 9, 2013 7:39 am
Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider speaks to the media at the 2013 NFL Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium on Feb. 21 in Indianapolis, Ind. (AP Photo/Johnny Vy)

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports is the latest national NFL writer to give Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider props for the team’s moves in free agency, including the trade for Percy Harvin.

La Canfora: “John Schneider might be the most aggressive general manager in the NFL, and, in my estimation, no one has done a better job evaluating talent and manipulating the draft, trades and free agency since he took over the Seahawksin 2010.”

Ben Goessling of the St. Paul Pioneer Press talks with Warren Moon, who says the Seahawks pulled off a big coup in trading for Harvin.

Here’s my story on the Seahawks hosting four quarterbacks for workouts on Monday.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes that even though Seattle has no first round pick, they still are as focused as ever on the upcoming draft and the team’s 10 picks.

Chris Wesseling of NFL.com lists offensive tackle, cornerback, quarterback, defensive line and linebacker as areas of need for Seattle heading into the draft.

The San Diego Chargers added former Seattle receiver Deon Butler.

Adam Caplan reports that former Jacksonville running back Jalen Parlmele visited Seattle on Monday.

Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman visits the Vancouver Canucks and talks fantasy football with Canucks right wing Alex Burrows in the video below.

Seahawks fullback Michael Robinson gives us the best of ‘Messin with Marshawn’ in his latest Real Robinson Report.

Doug Baldwin introduces us to his family in his latest Fresh Files.

Mike Coppinger writing for USA Today profiles pass rusher Ray Edwards, who at 28 has taken up boxing full time because no NFL came calling for his services after Atlanta released him last November.

Morning links
  1. HawkFromDay1 says:

I love these wildly simplistic “draft needs” – here’s the detail as I see it:

OT – need a monstrous, physical, psychopathic, run-blocking right tackle who can compete with/supplant Breno

CB – need a physical, blitzing, in-the-box, nickel DB to compete with/supplant Winston Guy

QB – need a mobile, scrambling, beautiful long-ball QB to impersonate Russell if needed

DL – need a big, agile 5-tech end to back up Red (Kawann Short anyone?), and a back-up 0-tech to back up Bane

LB – need a fast, rangy, pass-rushing WILL who can start by week 5

2. still laughing from the Messin With Marshawn Rob Report…

3. bbnate420 says:

arthurb, I think that dude just slipped on one of his man boobs.

4. Baldwin was already one of my favorite Hawks because of his on-field play, but what a great human being he is. His speech to the school should be told to every child in America.

5. Great to see John Schneider getting kudos for personnel moves from Jason La Canfora and Claire Farnesworth.

This is just a quick list here, not complete, but take a look at this guy’s record for personnel moves:

Future Pro Bowlers drafted while John Schneider worked in personnel for Green Bay or as GM in Seattle:
    2005: QB Aaron Rodgers, S Nick Collins
    2006: WR Greg Jennings
    2007: CB Tramon Williams
    2009: NT B.J. Raji, OLB Clay Matthews
    2010: OT Russell Okung, FS Earl Thomas, SS Kam Chancellor
    2011: CB Richard Sherman
    2012: QB Russell Wilson

Pro Bowl Free Agents signed while John Schneider worked in personnel for Green Bay or as GM in Seattle:
    Desmond Howard
    Charles Woodson
    John Kuhn
    Marshawn Lynch
    Brandon Browner
    Michael Robinson
    Leon Washington
    Zach Miller
    Sidney Rice
    Percy Harvin

6. HawkFromDay1 says:

That’s an awesome summary Stevos – impressive when you put it all together like that.

Of course, let’s not forget that Ted Thompson is in charge in Green Bay, who we had under the Holmgren administration – I think he would have done an awesome job as GM, if Holmgren would have left him alone… I think the years have shown Holmgren is an amazing coach and a pretty “eh” talent evaluator – at least not as good as Ted Thompson.

7. PHXHawk – ditto!

8. HawkfaninMT says:

Slow day, so I thought I would throw a topic out there…

Going into free agency I did not think we would chase a right tackle. If feel like Giac is an average RT and you can’t have an all-pro at every position. I will be fine if we go into next year with Giac at RT. But there are some seriously talented RTs out there that would be an upgrade on Giac. I am seeing a similar situation that Avril and Bennett found themself in. Went into FA looking for big money, and it was not there. So they found a contender and signed a short term deal to prove they are worth the big bucks.

I know Winfield would be nice, but if we are going to drop 3M on another player for a short term contract, I would rather it be dished out to Eric Winston, or Andre Smith.

Thoughts?

9. I don’t think $3M will get us Winston, Smith or Winfield. Smith is a bit of a punk…Cincy fans can’t stand him. I don’t know much about Winston but Winfield would help us get off the field on 3rd down which is something that seems has been this team’s Achilles Heal prior to and during PC’s tenure.

10. bbnate420 says:

I’ve already talked about signing Winston. I think he’s a better all around RT than Breno. He used to be anyways, unless he fell off a cliff last year. I didn’t watch him play in 2012. I’m not sure if the Hawks feel that way? As long as they can sign Winston for less than 3.5 mil in 2013, which I think is probable, they don’t lose any cap space if they release Breno and sign him. Breno is up after 2013 too. Winston turns 30 near the end of 2013, so they should be able to get a couple of years out of him at least. PFF actually graded him a +15.1 in 2012, which is very good. He played a ZBS in Houston for years, so that really shouldn’t be an adjustment. The more I look at him, the more I think they absolutely should sign him and release Breno if they can get Winston for like 4 mil or less a year.

Smith played real well in 2012, +26.9 rating by PFF, but I worry about his work ethic and attitude. Will he get fat and happy again? He got 21 mil guaranteed in his rookie deal, so you would think he’s not hurting for money. You would think that he doesn’t just have the motivation to get a big contract and quit, but he’s had conditioning and work ethic issues in the past. If he just wanted to get paid, then he already did and could’ve packed it in ala JaMarcus Russell. I still would worry about signing him long term at this point. It’s being reported that he’s sticking to his desire to be paid 9 mil a year, but he’s delusional if he thinks anyone’s going to do that at this point. He likely will end up taking a one year deal and hitting the market again in 2014. If they could get him for 4 mil or less, he would probably be worth it too. I’d personally go with Winston over him, because he has a lot of experience in the ZBS and he can be signed longer term to a reasonable deal.

11. Southendzone says:

Hey Nate, what is the grade for Clabo (released by ATL)? How would he fit in comparison to those other 2?

12. bbnate420 says:

DFloydd, that’s very funny, but I think a North Korean missile would be almost as far off target as a Tebow pass. ;-)

joreb, Winston himself says now that he is looking for 3-4 mil a year. It seems he hasn’t been offered it yet.

13. Well, I’ll be p!ssed if the Seahawks use the one and only 2nd round choice they have to select a RT. RT is not a pressing need, more over it has been proven time and again that you can find quality, starting caliber RT’s in the 4th round, and even deeper.

It is fairly obvious to me that the columnist who wrote about these perceived “needs” isn’t seeing a lot in the way of true need, so he reaches a bit. Sure, Giaco had some difficulties dealing with Chris Long last season. Chris Long is only the son of one of the best to play in the NFL, and was drafted, what, 2nd overall the year he left college?

Giacomini didn’t start playing organized football until something like his junior year in college. He was a basketball player before then, vying to become the next Steve Scheffler. This is a guy who is basically still developing. I don’t know why so many of you give this kid the amount of grief and disrespect that you do, or why you merely look at the bad games or the stupid ticky-tack penalties he’s apparently become notorious for without any sort of praise at all for the things that he does do well.

14. I heard RW3 & the guys are practicing just down the street from my house. Gonna have to go check it out..

15. bbnate420 says:

Clabo got a +21.3 rating from PFF, better than Winston. He turns 32 in October. I don’t know what blocking scheme Atl runs, so I couldn’t really give a good comment on how he would fit with the Hawks. I think there was some talk of the Hawks signing him a few years back when he was a FA?

16. bbnate420 says:

From PFF:

“One person with no such questions is RT, Tyson Clabo who the Falcons released yesterday, ostensibly to free up money to resign Matt Ryan. Since 2010 he’s been a model of consistency and ranked 3rd, 1st, and 5th among right tackles. He’s a balanced player who grades well, if not superlatively, in all areas and has had one really bad game in pass protection in those three years. Unfortunately for Clabo, if you have little personally invested in a guy you didn’t draft, (Clabo was a Free Agent pick up in the Rich McKay era), games like this year’s Week 4 debacle against the Panthers loom large. In that encounter he allowed three sacks, two hits, and four hurries or 25 percent of everything he gave up all year including the two playoff games.”

17. wazzulander says:

I think the need to replace Breno is a little overstated on here and a view not shared by the front office. Its usually pretty clear when PC/JS want to upgrade a position – they go all-in bringing in competition. We’ve seen it at QB, WR, DB in past years and clearly at DL this year. Early last year when Breno was going overboard with the penalties there were a few statements from PC about needing to improve there. But from what I can tell, since then they are pretty satisfied with him.

18. bbnate420 says:

I’m not nearly as down on Breno as many here are, but if you can get a better player for the same money then why wouldn’t you? I think Winston is clearly superior at this point. It’s different if you don’t believe that. Obviously, it doesn’t matter what any of us think about it. PC/JS will make the call.

19. I can’t see the team investing a premium draft pick in a Tackle right now, unless of course somebody they think is very special happens to fall to them.

I think Giacomini is the kind of nasty RT Cable and Carroll like. And Carpenter may yet become a very dominating O lineman once he stays healthy for 16 games. He could replace and improve upon Giac at some point, and they’ve invested a bit contract in him expecting him to do that. It takes a few years for most O linemen to show up. After those two guys, they have McQuistan, who is a very solid backup tackle. Its a deep position on this team.

20. Southendzone says:

I agree with the need for an addition at O-Line. Although RW has great escapability, I want to see him with a clean pocket holding up more often. I don’t feel like that happened a lot last year. I don’t know who’s fault it was specifically but Okung & Unger made the pro-bowl so I’m giving them a pass on blame here.

For Carp, I’m not counting on a single snap from him this year, something about the way they put him on the NFI list at the end of last season always seemed fishy to me.

21. chuck_easton says:

Winston has a standing offer from the Chargers and has visited the Cowboys and the Dolphins without signing. The reason?

Nobody thinks he’s worth what he thinks he’s worth. Winston has said he is a starting RT and won’t play for anything less than a 3-4 million a year contract. No thanks until reality knocks him upside the head and he comes back to earth.

Same with Andre Smith. Drafted as a LT. Held out for big money under the old rookie system. Stunk up the joint until last year which was, surprise surprise, his contract year. Now, even though he has become a decent to above average RT he’s still holding out for elite LT money. He wants the 9 million range from what I’m hearing. No way. You pay that man money and you will see a fat lazy non-worker until the next contract year.

I’d rather stick with Breno until some draftee can replace him.

22. HawkfaninMT says:

Hmm… I hope i did not lump myself into the group of posters that some think are throwing too much hate at Giac. I think he is average, and that is not an insult. I am just saying that, like Nate, if you can upgrade, why not? I feel like Winston is an above average RT that I think would make about the same as Giac. Furthermore, he may take a little bit less money to play for a SB contender(Seattle) vs SD.

Just throwing an idea out there is all. I do not see RT as a need, and I would be bummed if the Hawks used there #56 on a RT. But if you can upgrade the position for little to no cost, I feel like you should

23. HonHawksLSB says:

I like how we build our OLine through The Draft, but if we were going to go get a guy I think that person should be Clabo. He is familiar with Cable’s scheme and from my understanding has a nasty streak to him.

Really the only person that we can’t afford to lose is Tom Cable, that guy is money with whoever we have on the OLine.

SoutherEndzone… I’m with you on Carp, lots of questions about how that went down at the end of the year. I still can’t get over the shocked look on Nick Saban’s face when he was sitting by a yet undrafted Mark Ingram at the draft when we picked Carp.

I’m just glad we traded our 1st round pick for Harvin because that is really the only pick you could consider a “miss” JS has had in the draft and we are almost in the identical spot this year.

24. HonHawksLSB says:

But if you look back at that draft everyone said we should have drafted Carimi and he has been an even bigger dissapointment then Carp.

25. HonHawksLSB says:

Brady Quinn?

26. yes, it looks like Brady Quinn is on his way to being signed.

People are calling Quinn a bad fit for the Seahawks because he has a very different skillset than Russell Wilson.

I think they are missing the point. There isn’t another Russell Wilson. To backup for the Seahawks, Carroll wants a QB who has good ball handling skills, can run play action, hand the ball and Lynch, and play action passes to Harvin and Rice. They aren’t going to have a backup QB running the option of throwing down field a lot. Quinn should be a good fit for the backup job.

27. I remember the shock on Saban’s face. I also remember the shock by many when we drafted Wilson. How’d that work out? Saban was shocked because we didn’t draft Ingram…how has that turned out for the Saints? Saban doesn’t know NFL talent evaluation better than Pete and John. I gotta say, I officially ignore all opinions of our personnel moves until I see them play out on the field, because our FO has proven they know what they are doing.

Carp looks better than Carimi so far, despite two injury plagued years and being thrown into the starting lineup as a raw rookie. So I’m still glad we chose him.

I’m not worried about Carp…he re-agravated his knee, probably because the docs said he could come back, but they were wrong. This year, if he is healthy, all bets are off. Just like with Okung, we don’t know what we got until we see a full, healthly season. The Hawks self scout very, very well…they seem to have confidence in Carp, so that gives me confidence until he proves otherwise. I think he will surprise us this year, in a good way.

28. Ewalters7354 says:

Well here comes the Brady Quinn is not that bad comments…he was in a bad offense yada yada yada

29. raymaines says:

As always, I don’t have any idea about Brady Quinn or any of the other guys but despite the “lightning-in-a-bottle” RW pick I don’t have much faith in JS&PC’s ability to pick a QB. They paid too high a price for CBJ, fired #8, handed a starting job to T-Jack, and traded the best backup in the NFL for little or nothing.

I’m thirsty and there’s Kool-Aid out there but I’m a little worried about my Seattle Seahawks. Somebody please tell me why The Mighty Quinn is the next coming of Earl Morral.