Morning links: Seahawks to work out QB Matt Scott

Post by Eric Williams on April 3, 2013 at 8:27 am with 138 Comments »
April 3, 2013 8:29 am
Arizona quarterback Matt Scott runs a drill at the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis, Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)

First off, just a reminder to try and be respectful, keep away from the mudslinging and stay on topic in the comments section. Things have gotten a little out of hand of late, which happens from time to time.

So just remember to treat people how you want to be treated. The comments section makes this blog vibrant and informative, so let’s keep it that way.

First reported by Tony Pauline of DraftInsider.net, University of Arizona quarterback Matt Scott reportedly will workout for Seahawks quarterback coach Carl Smith at his high school in Corona, Calif., on Friday, according to this report by John Kryk, a contributor to the Toronto Sun.

According to the report, Scott also has official visits scheduled with Buffalo and Cleveland.

With Matt Flynn gone, the Seahawks are looking to add depth to the quarterback room. Josh Portis is reportedly set to re-join the team, but drafting Scott in the middle rounds this year would give Seattle another quarterback with a similar skill set to Wilson.

Scott completed 60.3 percent of his passes his senior season, throwing for 3,620 yards, 27 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. He also ran for 506 yards and six scores.

At 6-2 and 215 pounds, Scott also has the measurables Seattle is looking for in a quarterback. Scott posted a 4.69-second, 40-yard time, and has one of the strongest arms among this year’s quarterback draft class.

Check out Scott against USC in the video below.

Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News reports that former Seahawk defensive tackle Alan Branch signed a one-year, $3 million deal to join the Bills.

Check out Matt Flynn’s introductory press conference with the Oakland-area media here.

Dominic Holden of Seattle alternative newspaper The Stranger called out the Seahawks asking for a response to defensive end Chris Clemons’ remarks on Twitter about the possibility of a gay NFL player coming out of the closet. Clemons said it would be “a selfish act” for a NFL player to admit that he was gay.

A day later, the Seahawks offered this response to Holden’s request.

“The Seahawks organization is guided by overall principles of acceptance and understanding that help us create a culture of respect, equality and inclusiveness both on and off the field.

“It is our goal to use these core principles and our commitment to passion, character and excellence to empower change within our community. We, as an organization and as individuals, represent and respect a wide range of human differences, personal experiences and cultural backgrounds.”

The Seahawks signed restricted free agent defensive tackle Clinton McDonald.

Ryan O’Halloran of the Florida Times–Union writes that new Jacksonville head coach Gus Bradley made a good impression in his first meeting with players to begin the team’s offseason program.

Jeff Legwold of the Denver Post has this feature on Eastern Washington University receiver Brandon Kaufman, who’s hales from Colorado.

Linebacker Brian Banks gets another opportunity to pursue his dream of making the NFL with the Atlanta Falcons.

I wholeheartedly agree with Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk’s assessment of some draftnik’s scouting reports, which was spurred by Nolan Nawrocki of Pro Football Weekly’s blistering summary of West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith.

Morning links
  1. yankinta says:

I don’t think if he’ll last until late 4th round. Do we really want to draft Matt Scott in the 3rd round??

2. ChrisHolmes says:

I can totally see Seattle drafting this kid. Similar skill set to Wilson.. Ideally, when you have such a gifted, unique guy as RW at the helm, you’d like a similar skill set as the backup, so you don’t have to change the offense a bunch if the starter goes down.

It will be interesting to see if Seattle drafts him.

3. Ewalters7354 says:

AMEN Eric!

Yes, thank you Eric.

That might have been Florio’s best piece to date.

5. C’mon…you can’t find quality QBs in the 3rd round!

6. bbnate420 says:

Well, I’ll personally apologize and go away for awhile. I don’t think I really started anything per se, but I definitely didn’t ignore it either.

7. Similar to Wilson, but he takes a lot of shots running. He could learn from Wilson about getting down sooner. He’ll get killed in the NFL with that style.

Also appears to have a quick pass release, but sure unloads it low compared to Wilson’s high release point.

They’ve got a couple nice receivers on that team too.

8. Compared to Wilson…

– I think Wilson is more elusive on the run.
    – Wilson has much better accuracy.
    – I think Scott’s release time is average or a little below average.
    – Scott does seem to have a low release point and ended up with about 3 blocked passes.

He can fling the ball, and I like how he stood in there and brought AZ back against a ranked team.

9. Palerydr says:

I’ve been thinking Scott would be a guy the Hawks would pick up if available in the 5th. I’m not sure but I recall there is at least 1 poster who is totally against Scott but I don’t remember the posters reasons for disliking him so much. I see us using our 4th rounder to possibly move up in the 2nd and 1 of the 5ths to move up in the 3rd.

Anybody watch Neccessary Roughness? It’s a show based loosely, I believe, on Terrel Owens career in the NFL. They dealt with the topic of a gay QB in the NFL coming out midseason. I feel if you are a gay in the NFL then you should not come out as I believe you would have a target on your back. I can and do respect your choice until you try and force acceptance of your lifestyle on me then we got problems.

10. Too bad there’s no way we can draft Bama RB Lacy. I just hope he doesn’t land in the NFC West.

11. So, Mr Williams:
    Did Flynn sound really sincere to you about being happy to be in OAK? and…
    When is the TNT gonna hire Rob Rang some scouts to go out and canvas prospects fellow players, coaches, towel boys, etc?

12. Also, yesterday, xcman found a twitter and a post saying Thigpen had already been signed by SEA – was that one of those ‘jump the gun’ stories (since I haven’t seen it anywhere else)?

13. If Unger is okay snapping to a gay QB, I’m okay with having him on the team!

14. Aud – What do you mean by ‘release time’?

15. His release time…throwing motion.

16. yankinta says:

Jusjamn, I read reports that Lacy’s draft stock is dropping because he keeps postponing his workout. It’s been pushed by to mid-April. The Scouts are saying Lacy maybe too injured to work out. If that is the case, he should be there at 56th overall pick.

I would prefer to find a stud LB or DT or a Guard with our 2nd and 3rd round pick. But I’m sure JS/PC will draft best available.

17. time to cock Scott’s arm and throw is longer than it takes RW(?) OK, got it, thanx!

18. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

personally i think three is too high i would say 5th aswell.

welcome back mr walters

19. Depending on who SEA has for backup QB, I might want to see every pick be OL, to try and ensure RW makes it through the season without breaking to many things. If Scott is the backup, I don’t want to see RW injured.

20. FleaFlicker says:

Really like the condensed one-game film. It’s a better summary of a player instead of a rah-rah highlight reel.

Matt Scott has good and some bad. He could probably be a cheap, serviceable back-up in the NFL. Let’s go get him!

21. Palerydr says:

LOL Audible I’m pretty sure we don’t have to worry about our QB. It just seems to me that in todays terms a gay lifestyle is ok and we should all get along. Well I respect a persons freedom to choose however don’t expect me to accept your choice as a good one. IMO it’s not a criminal offense to feel this way but the mainstream media portrays my stance as such.

22. It’s SEA’s 1st game with SF in the 1st qtr of reg season. P.Willis tackles RW near the goalline and drives his shoulder into RW’s ribs, fracturing two of them. Rather than risking a punctured lung, RW is talked into going back to the locker room. Do we really want to see Scott trot out onto the field?

23. Palerydr says:

I see us drafting an OLB to replace Hill, a DT for depth a QB and an OT they will use to back up Giac and Okung. With the 7th rounders I would look for project picks they can stash on the practice squad.

24. If Scott impresses in interviews and at his workout, I think we’d pull the trigger in the 4th round. This coaching staff doesn’t mind “reaching” if it means they get the player they want.

25. Palerydr says:

I’m pretty sure that would be a disaster KLM however we don’t know if the player coming in would be Scott it could be Portis or more likely some other as yet unamed player. Regardless just about every NFL team really can’t afford to lose their starting QB.

26. chuck_easton says:

Paleydr,

OK, not to get on my soapbox but as a person who has a gay family member I do have to challenge you on a couple of points.

1. It’s not a choice. I know, symantics, but exactly when did you wake up one day and say to yourself “you know I could like men or women, but I think I’ll go for women.”? And why would somebody make a consious choice to be considered a second class citizen.

2. In regards to the thought “I don’t mind you being gay just as long as you don’t push it down my throat”. Do you talk about your wife and kids at work? If you are single do you talk about the date you went on last night? I assume you don’t go into graphic detail about what you and your partner did behind closed doors last night.

That is the significance of a gay player coming out. Why can’t that player talk about his partner? Why can’t that player talk about what he and his male partner did last weekend?

Straight people don’t realize that we/they are ‘shoving it down gay people’s throats’ evey day when we can so openly and freely talk about our home life, our wife/girlfriend/kids/pets…

I don’t think a gay NFL player wants to come out so he can tell you evertything he did with another consenting adult last night. But what that gay player wants to be able to do is to just be themselves and not have to ‘hide’ or ‘keep it to themselves’ in a society where everybody talks about their family.

Oh, and every time you go to your local gym I can guarantee at least one person in the change room is gay. Gay men work out more than anybody! :) So why would a gay player in an NFL locker room be a problem? He’s not going to hit on his co-workers just as that gay man/men at your gym don’t hit on you every time you/they are there.

OK, off the soapbox and back to football.

Great post, Chuck.

28. PugetHawk says:

The Stranger’s article is poorly done. I don’t think they should compare race to sexual orientation. Also, I do not see why the Seahawks have to make an official comment on something that one of their players commented on. Their athletes comment on things all the time that do not require an official team stance on.

29. boucherm says:

Thanks Chuck

30. For the most part, I have just moved away from reading the posts on this blog. It has been hijacked by a few individuals who make life miserable for those who don’t totally agree with them.

I often wonder if some of these folks have jobs.

31. chuck_easton says:

Puget,

I agree that it is not the Organization’s responsiblity to comment on something one of their employees says other than to say “we as an organization to not agree with the statement”.

And again, why shouldn’t sexual orientation be compared to race, in a civil rights aspect? People were denied equal rights based on the colour of their skin. They fought for and are still having to fight every day to be considered equal.

People were/are denied basic civil rights based on their sexual orientation. The State of Missouri still allows employers to fire a person just because they are gay. They also allow landlords the right to evict a tenant just for being gay. That is also a civil rights issue.

32. “It’s SEA’s 1st game with SF in the 1st qtr of reg season. P.Willis tackles RW near the goalline and drives his shoulder into RW’s ribs, fracturing two of them.”

What the hell are you doing?! You need to act fast before the voodoo Gods hand down a curse that can never be lifted.

Put your wife’s panties on your head, light three candles, and chant “Russell Carrington Wilson” until you can see his smiling face in the wax puddle.

It’s the only way!

33. SEA’s loss to Kolb’s backup in last season’s opener was more of a fluke than that their backup was so good (when you play, not who). The time it took for SEA to adapt to changes in AZ’s offensive scheme due to a different QB wasn’t adequate, and SEA’s offense was so vanilla that we couldn’t ‘unleash the dogs’ (like SEA was capable of later in the season) and score 20+ points in the last few minutes.

There’s an advantage to having a backup QB who’s capable of ‘unleashing the dogs’ when he comes into the game. The other team’s defense is less likely to inflict extra incidental punishment to your QB if it means they might have to re-adapt their defense to a different scheme from a strong attacking backup. When SEA played DC in the WC game, I was comfortable as long as RG3 was playing – hopping on one leg. I was uncomfortable when Cousins came in. The better the backup, and maybe the more different the offense’s scheme becomes with him in, the longer it takes for the defense to adapt to schemes they haven’t practiced against. When the backup QB is the starting QB-Lite, it’s just easier for the opposing defense to make 3 and outs. Let’s get a backup QB who wants to take the starting job away from RW and not let him get it back.

34. banosser says:

DT in the 2nd, OLB in the 3rd… I’d prefer OL in the 4th.. but if Scott is still there in the 4th great (I doubt he’ll still be there in the 5th) then BPsA

35. banosser says:

KLM… Kolb was the backup that game… I knew when they KO’d Skelton we were in trouble.. He would never in a million years have led a come back.. never

36. PugetHawk says:

You can see what race a player is but his sexual orientation is not something that is visible. Thats the only reason I think its apples and oranges but Chuck in the context you are referencing earlier, I believe we are on the same page.
    I said this last week, Clemons shouldn’t have said anything unless it was something positive. Its too hot of a topic right now to weigh in controversially on.

37. OK, got the starting and backup QBs out of sequence there banosser – I’m just agreeing with what Duke said when he was saying that we don’t have to concentrate on getting a backup with the same skill set as the starting QB. What we should want is someone who can come in and compete to the point that it doesn’t benefit the opposing D much to try and take out the starter.

38. FleaFlicker says:

We signed Clint McDonald…that’s some good news for continuity. Anybody have a theory on how the D-line looks on a depth chart? I don’t think we can count on Clem with the knee and all.

39. Palerydr says:

Chuck excellent post. I had a well crafted response and lost it to you are posting to quickly. I’ll boil it down to this I believe an NFL player coming out will run the same road Jackie Robinson ran. I hope that player has the same determination and will power to succeed in a world where he will be discriminated against.

40. seattle is not going to overpay for a backup QB. you get somebody cheap who can run the system…think cassell at NE when brady went down. cassell stepped in and earned himself $60 million from KC. sure, he sucked in KC, but he did exactly what he needed to do when in NE. wear did cassell get drafted? oh that’s right. he didn’t.

JS/PC are smart enough to know that you can’t assume yr starter goes down. sure, have a good backup plan but don’t go overboard. if any starting qb in the league goes down, the team is screwed…bottom line.

honestly, i could care less who the backup qb is bc RW will stay on the field. the backup WRs and RBs are far more interesting to discuss…

41. Southendzone says:

I’m a bit disappointed in Clemons statements. Not at all because i agree or disagree with his opinion, but because every public figure should be smart enough to know what’s OK to say to keep the PC police off your back.

Especially after last year the SF cornerback who made the same mistake.

Just give a stupid, PC vanilla response to questions like this and you never get in trouble. In the process i suppose you might put some writers out of business because promoting controversy is what they live on. You never saw a story about an NFL player because he said he likes ice cream or thinks puppies are cute.

42. oscar_contender says:

The Golden Rule. I would also suggest to practice the Art of Allowing to further advance. A suggestion, not an order.

Back to Seahawks:
    This QB looks like the mold in which they have been talking about, could we draft him in the 5th? The pick we received from Oakland for Aaron Curry? We do have a late 4th as well, but as yankinta pointed out, QB’s do tend to get drafted higher than projected. I find it entertaining that we are so focused on our back up QB. That goes to show how amazing RW is and that we have a franchise QB. I am excited for this year’s draft for the reason that we could go so many different ways, truly able to get “our” guys and take chances and go after our “BPA”. Will LB Toomer or DT Howard take a step up? Or is Will LB, 3 tech upgrade our biggest “needs”? Stay tuned…

In regards to Clemons:
    Look, a man/woman should be entitled to their opinion, as this is what freedom of speech is meant to be, that is what freedom is meant to be. I understand the backlash as you could take what he says and make it out to sound like a warning for a player to keep quiet, you have done it this long, and it would be selfish to speak up now. Well, to flip the coin over, if we are going to use freedom to “defend” Mr. Clemons opinion, then freedom of speech would be exactly what this player would be using as well. But, we must look at the big picture here. In light of the film 42 coming to a theater near you, about Jackie Robinson entering baseball as the first African American, at least we can see how far we have come. OK, race and sexual preference are different subjects, but they both are in the same concept of acceptance, of equality, of freedom. If a player wants to share his/her private world, they have that right, just as much as Clemons has to voice his opinion. Were his comments anti gay? I do not think so. To me, it sounds more like he understands the media circus that would happen when/if a player speaks up. And you know what? He is probably speaking truth, yet we can not overlook the big picture that this is most likely going to happen. The world is changing with regard to how we see it. You can accept it, change it, or leave it. Holding onto the past ways, to old views will leave you behind, in my humble opinion.

Back to NFL:
    Remember folks, this is a business, entertainment, and not like most careers. These players are heroes, role models, and in the spotlight. Our culture looks to the world of celebrity to answer some difficult questions. The TV subjects are far from what they used to be. We went from Leave it to Beaver to Modern Family. All eyes are on the NFL, what these players do and say is under a microscope. But, they are human, with human emotions, problems, and paradox. They are athletes, entertainers, the new gladiators of the new empire. I watch the NFL because it is the closest thing to live theater you get. They are on a stage, but instead of emotion, they use athletic ability. Actors are said to be emotional athletes, athletes of the heart. I see drama, emotion, and all that in sports as well. Take it easy on the athletes, even the actors ;)

Go Hawks!

43. boucherm says:

I’m also very curious about the d-line depth chart. Letting Branch go when his cost ended up being so low was surprising to me. He wasn’t great, but he was a solid 2 down player, and I’m just unsure who fills that role. I guess they signed Tony McDaniel for it, but that’s asking for a big contribution from a guy who hasn’t done a whole lot yet.
    McDonald, Scruggs and Jaye Howard are all more of the quick, pas rush guys that will play inside on third downs–except that we also expect Bennett to do that.
    The biggest thing is that I feel confident that PC/JS have a plan, whether it’s for the guys on the roster now or it includes someone in the draft (which I hope for).
    As for Clem’s status I’ve got to think they are preparing for him to be on PUP to start the year, and maybe not back to 100% until late in the year. Avril is Clem, in my eyes.

44. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

guys, come on man, this is not a place for a gay rights debate.
    personally how anyone lives as long as it hurts no other is there business. and regardless of where you stand on this subject you should feel that way. that said there will be a stigma associated with homosexuality(right or wrong)in sports . if you are gay and you come out and your team has players that feel like tebow for example there is a good chance that will cause a problem. i believe that is what clemmons was referring to. is it right? that is up to each individual player on how they feel. remember we are not talking right or wrong we are talking “rights” and just as someone has the right to be gay , i have the right to not like or approve that lifestyle on any grounds i see fit. i also have the right to react differently to you if your lifestyle choices make me uncomfortable or are against my beliefs.

now a team chemistry is a funny thing, why as a player would you do something that you know mite screw that up? to prove a point? to exercise your rights?
    again i don’t care one way or the other on this subject. but when you start talking that a gay person has rights to do something like some were on here you usually are infringing on someone Else’s right to not approve or like their lifestyle.

45. Carlsonkid says:

42 posts and no arguments ?! Congrats you guys – the whole reason I signed up for this blog is specifically because it WASN’T another PFT kiddy parade with all the childish name calling and arguing ; I live in Everett and have no real reason to read a Tacoma newspaper other than this blog . So thanks for being civil again you guys ; no matter what our differences , we’re all Seahawk fans and that’s why we’re here ..

And Audible , I love your ritual for klm – too funny !

46. We’re not the Pats. Competition is the word for this team, even (or especially) at QB. We want to win forever – even when the starting QB goes down. Anybody thinks that bounties went away with NO, they didn’t. Maybe just the outright wanted posters on the locker room walls with $$$ included, but not the intent to put certain key players outta the game, like when P.Willis shoulder-speared Hasselbeck near the goalline. P.Willis could have just touched him with his fingertips and Hass would have been downed at the same spot. With a rookie or a Yugo QB behind RW, RW is gonna have someone assigned to hit him on every down. And they’re gonna prefer to see he’s driven into the turf than just touch him. Between the snap and the throw, RW holds the ball longer than any other starting QB in the league (which is good – he’s not throwing lotsa checkdowns). We need a QB who can throw 6 TDs in a game behind him, both to mentor if not push RW and to discourage opposing defenses from having to face him (the backup). The best candidate maybe isn’t plainly visible from the UFAs nor draftees currently available, but that could change if one of the teams lands a top QB draftee and wants to cut or trade maybe a grizzeled vet QB?

47. boucherm says:

You can’t complain that people are having a gay rights debate to start your post, then jump in with both feet.
    Don’t like the gays rights talk? Then talk about football.

48. As much as we all like to think about “DT” and “LB” with the early picks, this team is honestly in a position of BPA. The way Pete, John, and the Seahawks scouting dept. have been calling the shots, I could see waiting until round 4 to draft an LB if there’s players at different positions with higher value in the 2nd and 3rd round. A backup QB is not out of the question, neither is the possibility of a TE, or even another DB.

49. boucherm says:

It’s really great not to have some great “need” that MUST be adressed in the draft. Like you say, they can take the best player. The only caveat to me is that if you draft someone with a 2nd round pick, they should be a starter in the near future, so you don’t want to waste that value–you don’t need a QB or a MLB, for instance.
    It’s really cool to feel like we could go into the season with today’s roster, rather than needing guys for this year still.

50. chuck_easton says:

hawkfaninoaklahoma,

My final say on the Clemons issue and then I’m back to football.

Black players are an accepted part of any pro sports team today. But that wasn’t the case in years past. I encourage everyone to go see 42 when it comes out. That is a realistic portrayal of the ‘media circus’ the Dodgers Organization when through. Also the physical, verbal, and emotional abuse, Jackie Robinson had to endure, and the fact that the majority of the Country, AT THAT TIME, was not prepared to accept a black athelete in a white sport.

Now, fast forward to this Century. Any player that takes that step is going to go through pretty much the same thing Jackie Robinson did.

The verbal assaults, the potential for physical abuse, and unfortunately the media circus that will follow. So should that player just be happy to ‘hide’ and talk in non-gender pronouns when discussing their home life? Sure it’s easy to hide and play straight. That wasn’t afforded to Jackie Robinson but again, it took a very strong man to step up and be the one that broke through the barrier.

Which ever gay player does come forward will have to be equally as strong as it won’t be an easy road. I personally think that it would be better if the first gay pro athelete was in baseball as it might not be as difficult in that environment.

51. bbnate420 says:

you’re all fahs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

52. Ewalters7354 says:

Anybody remember when Pete called Tyler Polumbus Troy?Boy that was and still is a good laugh! lol

53. tylerwyler says:

I love that we’re talking about this, and quite frankly, I’m embarrassed that the Seahawks haven’t addressed it. I’m a season ticket holder, and I did contact the organization and encouraged them to make a statement supporting gay players. The likelihood (percentage-wise) is that there are probably at least fifty players in the NFL that are gay. Why should they all have to hide their family lives and relationships so that a few bigoted feathers don’t get ruffled?

~Tyler, a straight male ‘Hawks fan standing proudly against discrimination and bigotry

54. tylerwyler says:

Ah, should have read the article better. I’m glad they did address it! Love this team and organization! Go hawks!

55. FleaFlicker says:

From the article: “To be clear, Clemons said he has no problem with a gay player, he just thinks a player coming out while in the NFL would be a ‘selfish act’ because the player would be trying to make himself bigger than the team.”

56. Well, “Sexy Rexy” as my niece called him is off the market – back with DC. https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/319516145138946049

57. ChrisHolmes says:

58. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

boucherm, no offense but did you read what i said? i personally believe everyone has a right to live how they want gay straight or otherwise.

my point was more football related, i see where clemmons is coming from.

if you know your coming out might affect the team chemistry because of someone else’s beliefs on the lifestyle(wright or wrong) is that not selfish to come out? you can say that is the other players problem but it’s not it is a team problem. that is the question here not gay rights. clemmons or myself are not saying anything about their rights. people want to confuse the issue here. this never was a rights issue to begin with.

again i am not saying this is right or wrong i am simply stating some facts.
    i am done with topic just wanted to make clear what i was saying.

59. vichawkfan says:

Matt Scott also fashion’s the sport ion bands multiple times, just like RW.

60. About checking out prospect QBs, (Matt Scott coming to work out) I wish PC/JS could have a couple-three numbered Vespas with salmon nets attached at the back and try out the visiting QBs on the inside VMAC practice field. Let’s see how accurate they are. It’s not like college where WRs are running wide open, the NFL windows are tiny. Send out the vespas and tell the QB which one to hit(?)

61. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

klm did you watch the tape on scott thou? he made a couple of great throws into tight windows, one for a TD. i like the guy from what litte tape there was but i wouldn’t give up a third for him.

62. tylerwyler says:

Maybe it’s because I’m a lifelong Seattle sports fan and I’m used to disappointment, but I’m ok if it affects team chemistry if a player comes out. Why should a gay player have to cower in shame out of fear of being bullied? I think it’s more important that people with different sexual orientations become accepted in all fields and walks of life than it is for our home team to win. This is important stuff for our society. One look at the disproportionate rate of suicide amongst LGBT teens (seriously, just peek at the statistics) should be enough for us all to learn to prioritize this social issue above “team chemistry.”

63. oldmanfan says:

He looks terrible, does he ever look off of his first read? Does he ever look AT his first read. Even if the guy isn’t open he throws it anyway and he doesn’t appear to have the arm strength or accuracy to get away with it.

64. tylerwyler says:

From Wikipedia:

“Clinical social worker Caitlin Ryan’s Family Acceptance Project (California State University, San Francisco) conducted the first study of the effect of family acceptance and rejection on the health, mental health and well-being of LGBT youth, including suicide, HIV/AIDS and homelessness.[4] Their research shows that LGBT youths “who experience high levels of rejection from their families during adolescence (when compared with those young people who experienced little or no rejection from parents and caregivers) were more than eight times likely to have attempted suicide, more than six times likely to report high levels of depression, more than three times likely to use illegal drugs and more than three times likely to be at high risk for HIV or other STDs” by the time they reach their early 20s.”

And also:

“Their research shows that LGBT youths “who experience high levels of rejection from their families during adolescence (when compared with those young people who experienced little or no rejection from parents and caregivers) were more than eight times likely to have attempted suicide, more than six times likely to report high levels of depression, more than three times likely to use illegal drugs and more than three times likely to be at high risk for HIV or other STDs” by the time they reach their early 20s.”

That’s pretty dark stuff. :-(

I can’t see any reason to be against the Seahawks organization standing up against this type of discrimination, and maybe even changing the minds of some of their more closed minded fans.

65. boucherm says:

Oklahoma–sorry that I misunderstood. Thank you for clarifying.

I think your assessment of what Clem said is spot on. I disagree with his perspective, however, because I believe there is a bigger picture issue here and that the first active player to come out will be doing so selflessly. Yes it will create a media buzz that the team/locker room does not want, and at the least that could affect team chemistry. Probably would have an overall negative impact on the team, if nothing else for the distraction it would cause. I just don’t believe that the first player to come out will be doing so primarily for their self, but for others.
    I also think that comparing what he said (tweeted) to what the 49er (Culliver?) said is unfair to Clem.

66. SideWalkHawk says:

In the age of tolerance and acceptance, your view is only accepted if it agrees completely with gay advocates. To even question homosexuality as a life style, causes you to be labeled bigoted. Yet, I do question the morality of homosexuality. Not a choice aye? Every time? For every person? Big claims those are. Plenty of science would suggest other wise, not to mention common sense.

Yes I understand the labels that will follow. Just ask yourselves this. Is it really an open forum if divergent views aren’t allowed?

67. LeePHilI says:

I wish that football players could raise their IQ level just a tad bit and realize that there are gay players NOW and the difference is that the gay players don’t make a fuss about their sex lives.

There is all this talk about “in the locker room” as if something unwanted will happen if a player indicated that he is not opposite-sex oriented. Kinda makes you wonder how they could control their urges up until coming out, with all those self proclaimed targets of interest in the same room as them. Of course, possibly they are not attracted to men who make such a big deal about their opposite-sex orientation.

Clem…..don’t you have something else to worry about?????

68. tylerwyler says:

Who said your views aren’t allowed? That doesn’t make your views above criticism, though. And, since you’re putting the bait out, I’ll bite.

If you don’t believe all Americans deserve equal treatment under law, regardless of sexual orientation, you’re a bigot. Even if it’s because of your religion.

Up until 60 years ago, the arguments against interracial marriage came from people quoting that same book (you know the one). Further back, people were quoting that same book as the reason slavery is acceptable.

69. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

tyler you are straying way off topic man, i am not here to debate the effects of rejection on adolescent gays that is not what this sight is about. i also have no idea what that would have to do with an adult pro football player.
    sidewalk, not the place. we are not here to debate whether being gay is or is not a choice the implications of that on society. we are discussing what clem said and it’s merits. everyone needs to step back and ask themselves this’ did anyone say they couldn’t come out? i have never heard this.

70. tylerwyler says:

None of this seems off topic to the article linked.

71. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

tyler, you posted over 50 words of pure garbage off topic about a study that has nothing to do with the subject at hand, how does family acceptance have anything to do with coming out as a pro football player. acceptance starts with ones self not with others. i would bet most of those in the study had self acceptance issues more than societal . also if you studied heterosexual teens i bet you would find the same things with them.more importantly i bet that has already been done. most teens are insecure acceptance seeking at that point gay or straight. in the end thou until they are right with themselves they won’t be right with society.

i am not here to fight about this i am here to talk football seahawks and their players, you want this fight go find a blog against homosexuality and fight it there .

72. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

to everyone, sorry about going off topic this drives me nuts thou.

73. tylerwyler says:

The studies WERE contrasting rates between LGBT teens and heterosexual teens. Fifty words doesn’t seem like enough, considering the stakes. Sorry if it was an affront to your delicate sensibilities.

74. I’m not sure if I prefer yankinta bashing or this…how long till the draft?

22 days, 5 hours, 4 minutes, 22 seconds…

75. LeePHilI says:

Side Walk, I can only assume that your stand is that homosexuality is a choice (lifestyle). That being the case, when did you choose to be heterosexual (assuming you are) and what were you before you made that choice?

Sorry, folks. There is content in the blog about the “pros and cons of homosexuality as a topic or right for pro players”. I’d suggest if the conversation makes you uncomfortable, it might be YOU that is in the wrong place.

It would appear to me that a few people here need to read Dave Kopay’s book (former Husky and pro player) to open their eyes and minds as to how closeting affects the individual, teen or adult.

Tyler has hit the issue point blank. Black Americans were denied equal rights. Robinson wasn’t allowed to eat or sleep with his teammates.

I’m left to wonder if Clemmons would think that a black player who felt he was experiencing discrimination would be “selfish” to bring it up.

76. LeePHilI says:

Oh…and the other question I forgot to ask is “what is a gay advocate?”

Is that someone who advocates for equal treatment and rights for all?

77. SideWalkHawk says:

Tyler: I never said gay people should be treated differently. My whole point was that, if you have a different opinion you’re mislabeled. Which I believe you just did. I think the law should be applied equally to all people. For the record, I try to show respect to people of all persuasion, I hate bullying or targeting folks because their gay. I don’t “preach” at people. And I only discuss these issues with people on a personal basis if I know them closely and have that kind of relationship with them.

I think these comments are applicable here, and have everything to do with what Clem said. Look at how the stranger tried shutting him down. Any open discussion that cast homosexuality in a bad light gets the same treatment.

78. Yup, I watched the tape, didn’t see it thataway. I know who I want to back up RW, Colin Kaepernick.

79. “Just wanted to chime in: thank you Chuck for the very well-written post. You do a larger service to this blog than you may realize.

It bugs the hell out of me that anyone in 2013 could still believe being gay is a “choice”.”

80. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

tyler what does it have to do with football? damn man this is a seahawks site. you know pro football?

81. tylerwyler says:

SideWalk, I did take special care to say “if” you believe people shouldn’t be treated equally under law. :-)

82. moparmarty says:

What do you think about Kansas States C. Klein. He can definitely run, but is he a good enough passer?

83. chuck_easton says:

C. Klein likely will go undrafted. The problem is he is Tebow 2.0 without the throwing accuracy (I can’t believe I typed that without my keyboard blowing up).

Klein was STRONGLY incouraged to move to TE or DB prior to the combine. He has steadfastly refused. Most NFL teams learned their lesson with the Tebow QB fiasco. Just because Klein wants to be an NFL QB doesn’t make it so.

I want to be a concert pianist, but I don’t know how to play the piano.

84. tylerwyler says:

Okie:
    Because its related to the article posted on the blog.

It’s kind of like if the linked article were on Michael Vick’s dogfighting, and I brought up relevant studies that showed a relationship between animal abuse and domestic violence… We could examine that data, and perhaps use it to debate why it would be good for the NFL to firmly oppose dogfighting; data shows that it clearly affects our entire social fabric in a very real way if we choose to ignore it. Does it relate to pro football directly? Not really. Does it relate to the topic at hand? Certainly. You’re free to not read it if it makes you uncomfortable.

Why I think it’s important is this:

85. chuck_easton says:

tyler,

It’s time to move on. People that don’t want to accept the fact that there are already gay players won’t hear you.

Just as I laugh anytime someone tells me that they never want to meet a gay person and don’t know anyone that is gay. They do, it’s just the gay person has figured out that they are speaking to someone who will not accept them so they just keep their little inside joke.

86. doubledink says:

Tyler,
    Just so you know, Okie is a derogatory term. Just like some others that could fit in this thread, but civil discourse forbids.

87. tylerwyler says:

Hmm. My Okie family all call themselves Okies when they visit. I’ve never heard people say it’s a derogatory term. My bad if offense was taken.

88. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

tyler , that is the most irrational justification i think i have ever heard and i have 5 kids. please stop that is all i am asking. it doesn’t belong here.

89. doubledink says:

My dad used to get in many fights over the term aimed at him. Perhaps it has lost some of its stigma. He is 91 after all.

90. LeePHilI says:

Some may want to read up. Last week a TNT reporter pointed out that “Okie” was a self proclaimed term of pride.

91. LeePHilI says:

Hawkfan – are you not reading the entire article?

92. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

chuck, i hope to god that is not directed at me?

93. doubledink says:

But regarding football…
    I’m hoping for a stud OLB with the 2nd round pick. DT can wait a round imo. I, on the other hand, am having a hard time waiting around.

94. Re-sign LeRoy.

95. Soggybuc says:

And thats a shame Chuck, it really is. the people I know who are gay and have come to acceptance are the most well adjusted, happy and flat out the coolest people I know!
    Man! all this just over the speculation of a Gay player. imagine the $h1t storm when Brady finally comes out!

96. tylerwyler says:

No way does Leroy come back. Also, I find it hilarious that we have a player yakking about how much of a distraction it would be to have an openly gay player on the team, yet Clem can’t be man enough to condemn domestic violence, unlawful imprisonment, and assault. Apparently those distractions aren’t distracting enough.

97. tylerwyler says:

Is it alright for a straight man to say that he looks delicious in Uggs, Soggy?

98. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

Lee, reread it for the second time where of where does it say anything about gay teen acceptance related to the quotes put up by tyler. now chuck on the other hand put up a very well thought out point that i do not disagree with at all. all i said again is i can understand what clemmons said and reasoning behind it. i guess that makes me a homophobe or something.

next time say this leave the garbage at the door.

“Why I think it’s important is this:
    There are many gay players already in the NFL. If the NFL, which is a very influential and important part of American life, makes it clear that this type of discrimination is no longer acceptable and that gay people shouldn’t have to hide their partners from their teammates, it sends a signal to the rest of us that it’s ok to just accept gay people. Is that so bad?”

now that is good makes sense an is to the subject and a great follow up to chucks point. the other not so much.

Wow! I come back after being away for a while and the blog turns into a Gay debate chat? Can’t blame me on this one. Lol.
    Will the next debate be whether Beastiality is a choice?

BTW- I know and have known many Gay folks in my life. They are usually more educated, more creative and more responsible than straight folks.

I’m just not Sexually attracted to men, but if I were I would forsure be gay. Because Gay men are far more interesting than the average Joe.

My perfect mate would be the brains of a gay man in the body of a Woman.

100. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

lol, georgia no lie

101. banosser says:

Yeah.. I thought this was a football blog…

I think it will be easier to find a stud OLB in the 3rd than a stud DT.. place a stud DT in the DL rotation and this defense becomes extraordinarily scary..

102. tylerwyler says:

Hawkfan, what you are leaving behind as “garbage at the door” is the fact that non-acceptance of homosexuality is causing disproportionate rates of suicide in young people. I don’t really care if you don’t want to hear it. It relates. I grew up in a redneck homophobic logging town. I know of a couple of dead gay kids, both by suicide. Even if you think that hearing that the Seahawks organization saying “enough is enough, chill with the homophobia” wouldn’t have any effect at all, don’t you still think it’s worth a try? Aren’t their lives worth just a tiny bit more? Enough perhaps to make a tiny bit of effort to promote a little acceptance?

103. trout_hound says:

Speaking of backup quarterbacks, I bet we can get Joe Webb for cheap. (running and ducking). Just kidding. Watching him implode last year in the playoffs is a great reason to have a good back up. I’m not saying Portis is Joe Webb, but he could be. I hope we can find someone off the trash pile or in the draft that can lead a team and perform under pressure.
    Nobody seems to bother Tony Romo about his sexuality.

104. tylerwyler says:

I know if Dave Kreig had said “it’s not ok to call people f_gs,” a lot of kids in my class would’ve listened to him.

105. LeePHilI says:

Hawkfan….I’m assuming that since the acute direction you tried to steer this conversation, the subject of running backs should not come up, because the story is about a QB. For that matter, we need to refrain from talking about veterans because the subject was about the draft.

Sorry, many of us can determine the context of a conversation without direction. I’m certain that the blog moderator would step in if the subject matter was that far off topic.

Maybe athletes should avoid controversial issues. Couldn’t have saved Jim Brown, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Muhammed Ali a lot of trouble, huh?

At the risk of being off topic, I’m reminded that Senator Al Franken, when confronted with the idea that same sex marriage would ruin the “traditional” marriage, said “I doubt that after seeing two men holding hands that I would divorce Franny for the sake of marrying a man to watch football with me”

106. LeePHilI says:

I’m still wondering about my suggestion that Michael Robinson, who played QB in college, be Wilson’s back up. Could anyone imagine Robinson, Lynch and Tubin executing the read option in the same backfield? Talk about your horsemen……

107. Well Georgia I bet last year when we were both beating the drum(no, not that drum) for DeCastro and you thought “Galena” was a female you may have been getting a little excited. If you were it’s o.k. What a bummer to find out that it is just the name of an Athabascan village on the Yukon River in glorious Alaska.

Not to get off subject here but looking at the projected starters in the NFC West we have:

1st overall pick Sam Bradford with the Lambs
    Superbowl XLVII starter Colin “K” with the 9-nors
    2013 pro bowler Russell “Dear Leader” Wilson, Hawks CIC
    1st overall pick Carson Palmer, Cards

That’s quite a crew. All of these teams play defense. Add an offensive line to the Rams and the Cards and you are looking at the scariest division in recent memory from top to bottom.

108. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

and tyler what you are forgetting is this is FOOTBALL blog not a social site. i am sorry about the gay kids that killed themselves however i don’t want to read about it here. this is not the place to promote gay awareness it is a football blog.

obviously you think your need to promote this out ways mine not to have to see it on here. just like the suicides it’s not that i don’t care i do ,not here thou i come here to talk football not gay rights not gay teen depression. and don’t say” i don’t have to read it” because it permeates the thread as a discussion point

109. This blog is becoming unreadable lately. Too bad.

110. tylerwyler says:

I like the idea of a competent backup QB, and MikeRob as the safety net so that we could keep the third guy on the practice squad, Lee. Is there any indication Robinson could be a competent backup, though? Seems he’d be a lot richer if he were… My gut tells me he’s not.

111. tylerwyler says:

Is it possible that discussions about gay athletes and related issues permeate the blog because, idunno, http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2013/04/02/seahawks-say-they-are-fine-with-players-anti-gay-comments
    was a linked article?

You saw the reading list might touch some hot-button issues, am I right? Just because you don’t think one thing relates to the other doesn’t mean I can’t talk about it.

112. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

tyler i tell you what you can have the blog, that post on a gay teen study was off topic by your own admission. and our moderator is on vacation lee. you want to turn this into a gay rights blog have at it.

lee i tried to steer it away from discussion other than related to clemmon’s comments.

i am taking a vacation from this site, too many trolls and people wanting to talk things other than what belongs on a football blog.
    maybe i can track boobyk down.

Galena- I was getting excited, and I was bummed out when you said your balls were attached. Lol.

I remember Dukeshire had a good laugh on that one.

I know you are lurking nate, and I know you are dying to post.

Ditto- BobbyK.

115. chuck_easton says:

Jusjamn,

Well then if you feel the blog is unreadable that gives you two options.

1. Post something you deem to be read worthy and we will discuss. Or

2. Stop wasting your time reading it.

The best thing Georgia has said in some time ( just kidding Georgia), was you can be part of the solution or you can continue to contribute to the problem.

Or as I say to our Junior Associates at work, don’t bring me your problems, bring me potential solutions and we can fix things.

116. chuck_easton says:

And Oklahoma,

My previous comment was definitely not directed at you.

You are right. Football first. We can discuss social issues as they arise. Problem is the thread did include the Clemmons article. So in defence of Tyler and others technically TNT started it. ;)

117. tylerwyler says:

Hawkfan, I’m well equipped to curate my own posts, and am fully comfortable with them being moderated if they are out of bounds.

I also understand that you have stated you just want to talk football, and don’t want to talk about gay rights.

The only point I was trying to make was in regards to your comment about how having a gay teammate can negatively impact team chemistry. I’ll make it very simple: our desire to have a winning team with good chemistry are not more important than the lives being lost due to non-acceptance of homosexuality. I then provided evidence to support my claim that non-acceptance leads to increased rates of suicide among young people. It makes us (NFL fans) sound like heathens if we don’t fight the notion that the comfort of the people wearing our favorite jersey is more important than the lives of people being bullied.

118. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

chuck thanks appreciate it. the study post was not on topic thou . oh well a break will do me good.

119. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

tyler never mind all you see is what you want to promote. again almost eveything you posted has absolutely nothing to do with football. it is not a nfl teams job to promote homosexuality anymore than it is to promote heterosexual behavior. leave the non football rhetoric at the door it does not belong here.

120. The organization was smart to not allow themselves to be baited into unnecessary controversy. Their response was enough. The Seahawks have a proven history of supporting the community of Seattle as a whole.
    That said, an OL-RT prospect, an LB and a run-stopping DT make sense in the draft and an experienced QB backup FA would cover most needs.

121. tylerwyler says:

This is exasperating. Promoting tolerance is NOT promoting homosexuality.

122. tylerwyler says:

(And a lot of good “promoting homosexuality” would do… It would take one hell of a “promotion” to make me not attracted to women!)

I don’t care if you are a Homo, or a beast, or an alien. If you can play good Football then I want you on the Seahawks side of things.

124. I think we are forgetting that we are talking about pro football players here. These are the most macho, bravado- laden cultures and locker rooms in existence. Although everyone needs to be tolerant, it’s gonna be a very tough sell, in my opinion. Football players for the most part listen to hip hop and embrace the culture and lifestyle. PC pumps hip hop during practices, and the whole hip hop culture that is embraced and is very evident in real rob report’s debates in the locker room is not compatible with men who prefer to be with men. Just my humble opinion. If you listen to some hip hop lyrics it will be readily apparent why the men who listen to that genre of music regularly will not be willing to accept alternative lifestyles.

125. tylerwyler says:

Totally agree, CCVI, which is kind of the reason it would be so influential for some of them to speak out against homophobia. Not punters, though. :-p

126. DanielleMND says:

As a member of the LGBT community, I don’t think what Clemons said was as bad as what the 49ers player said before the Super Bowl.

But it’s ironic. Clemons said a gay player coming out would be putting himself before the team, but saying something dumb on social media requiring your team to issue a statement is pretty much doing the same thing.

There are now LGBT people serving openly in the military and in combat zones, and that’s traditionally a macho environment, too.

127. TezForever says:

I love his skill set but i’d be shocked if makes it to the Seahawks 3rd rounder let alone their 4th round pick. Ironic, because of RW Scott is probably going to go a full round higher than he would in years past.

128. Bout all that homo talk – remember a coupla years back there were lotsa complaints by players sayin that somebody was coppin feels of guys junk at the bottom of hog piles. Wasn’t that when OAK’s DL was playin?

129. Screensmoke says:

Who cares

130. I want the hawks to trade all ther picks for the DT from Utah :)

131. Jeff Garcia anyone? Remember TO outed him to the media. I really don’t care what a players sexual preference is as long as they don’t hurt themselves, but seeing as it has nothing to do with the game of football it’s better for hetero and homosexuals players to make thier personal life personal. Coming out to your team would appear less selfish than doing it to media.

Fun Fact Bugz Bunny and Elmer Fudd were the first male on male kiss

132. juliusvrooder says:

Greetings from the sunny San Juans,

I usually lurk in silence, but I am always here, though I live over 100 mi from Tacoma. I only read this paper to read this blog. That said, thank you Eric, and everybody for returning to civil football-centered discussion. I was thinking about bailing, but now I will stick around and keep learning.

Go Hawks!

Julius

133. Aktjsports says:

Read this QB analysis:

STRENGTHS: Dual-threat passer well-suited to today’s NFL. Has an efficient setup and delivery of the football, including a quick release. Throws a tight spiral with plenty of velocity to make every throw. Can drive passes through tight windows, including on deep in-cutting routes and the deep-out.
    Very good accuracy, velocity on slant routes. Shows good touch to loft passes between defenders and down the sideline. Good ball placement. Consistently hits his receivers in stride, providing them the opportunity to gain yardage after the catch.

Good elusiveness in the pocket and looks to remain a passing threat rather than simply run. Keeps his eyes downfield and is accurate on the move (especially to his right), showing the ability to square his shoulders and deliver passes with zip.

Sounds like analysis of Wilson doesn’t it???

It is analysis of Matt Scott/QB Arizona

If this player was still available by the time we get to select, we ought to pick him. QBs like this are hard to find and this kid sounds like a game breaker.

134. Aktjsports says:

Professional sports like NFL football give us all reasons to get behind our regions teams, in the NW it is the Hawks, and we love to watch em play, watch em win, take pride in their work habits and skill sets. Do we need to inject sexual preference into this? If you think we do, then what is your agenda? Clemons has a right to speak. Every player does. When asked about any subject matter. If the issue is about how we feel about sexual preference, then can we take that to a diifferent forum? Let’s keep this forum about Seahawk football. Go Hawks!!!