Report: Alan Branch fires agent

Post by Eric Williams on March 27, 2013 at 5:05 pm with 42 Comments »
March 27, 2013 5:05 pm
Seattle Seahawks' Alan Branch (99) reacts after recovering a Carolina Panthers fumble as Carolina Panthers' Jonathan Stewart (28) walks off during the fourth quarter of an NFL football game in Charlotte, N.C., Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012. The Seahawks won 16-12. (AP Photo/Bob Leverone)
Seattle Seahawks’ Alan Branch (99) reacts after recovering a Carolina Panthers fumble as Carolina Panthers’ Jonathan Stewart (28) walks off during the fourth quarter of an NFL football game in Charlotte, N.C., Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012. The Seahawks won 16-12. (AP Photo/Bob Leverone)

According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, Seattle Seahawks free agent defensive tackle Alan Branch has fired his agent, CAA.

Per the report, CAA waived its five-day waiting period, allowing Branch’s new agent Blake Baratz to immediately begin negotiating with NFL teams.

Branch, 28, did not miss a game last season for the Seahawks, finishing with 29 tackles and a sack during the regular season. The University of Michigan product was considered one of the more productive defensive tackles available entering free agency. However, a soft market appears to have resulted in a decrease in the 28-year-old’s value. Florio expects the Jaguars, where former Seattle defensive coordinator Gus Bradley begins his first year as Jacksonville’s head coach, to show interest in Branch.

The Seahawks still could use a run-stuffing defensive tackle, but for now Michael Bennett is projected to fill that role for Seattle.

“You have to analyze your draft board, see where you’re at, see which players you think will be available and how much emphasis you need to put on different positions in free agency,” said Seahawks general manager John Schneider said, when asked about the possibility of Branch returning to Seattle. “Regarding Alan specifically, he did a great job here. We’ve been in contact with his people. Our coaching staff has been talking to him and we’ll see where that negotiation goes.”

NFL free agency

Good. Maybe we can now get him on the cheap.

2. montanamike2 says:

I wonder if the full moon made the blog explode?

3. montanamike2 says:
  4. In essence the Hawks have addressed Jones’ departure with MB & Clemons’ injury with Avril. The “big body” is still left in a holding pattern. There are still FAs out there including Branch that are interesting but they most likely will have to sign a short term, less than they want deal to play here.

Draft baby, bring it!

My thought is if they don’t make a cometitive offer to Branch, they must really like what they have in Scruggs.

6. banosser says:

and they plan on adding a DT in the 2nd round

7. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

watched vince youngs pro day today,lol. i tell you i would take a flyer on him to back up RW if flynn is traded. his footwork and throwing motion were much improved. and i bet we can get him for the minimum .

8. Singularitarian says:

Not a bad idea at all Hawkfan. VY could learn alot from Wilson about being a professional, and how a real pro does it. VY has some talent for sure

9. Singularitarian says:

I would like to see Vince Young if they sat him down and said “look here, it’s not all about you and we have no room for a crybaby, but if you’re ready to be a hard worker and a good team mate we might have a spot for ya.” Another guy I have always loved is Kyle Orton, though I’m not sure he fits this system and not really sure how we’d get him. Also Jackson, and I like Portis. I really see no need to move Flynn for under a 3rd. I really feel Kyle Orton might be the most underrayed qb in the league

“Each morning I get up I die a little”
    “Can barely stand on my feet”
    “Take a look in the mirror and cry”
    “Lord what you’re doing to me”
    “I have spent all my years in believing you ”
    “But I just can’t get no relief, Lord!”
    “Somebody, somebody”
    “Can anybody find me some place to blog? ”

“I work hard every day of my life”
    “I work till I ache my bones”( not really.)
    “At the end I take home my hard earned pay all on my own” –
    “I get down on my knees”
    “And I start to pray”
    “Till the tears run down from my eyes”
    “Lord – somebody – somebody”
    “Can anybody find me – somewhere to blog?

“(I work hard)”

“Everyday – I try and I try and I try” –
    “But the bloggers want to put me down”
    “They say I’m goin’ crazy”
    “They say I got a lot of water in my brain”
    “Got no common sense”
    “I got nobody left to believe
    “Yeah – yeah yeah yeah”

“Oh Lord”
    “Somebody – somebody”
    “Can anybody find me, somewhere to blog.”

BTW- Why does nate and Yankita check out around the same time? Hmm?

12. Hawks1100293 says:

@georgiahawk
    seahawksdraftblog.com

13. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

georgia, again he says he said something again i go to the archives and there is nothing there. sad person when all you can do is hide behind a name on a blog and lie.
    here’s a repost
    now see audible that is a very pleasant almost funny way to put it. yankinta could take lessons, supply and demand works great as i said all along.
    oakland does not need flynn they are 2 years away from needing a qb. if they need one it means they cut palmer which means they have 42 million in dead cap this season. in all honesty they should cut palmer and draft number 1 next year. running with whoever they can pick up cheap. flynn makes them no better and they will be drafting top 1-3 again next year anyway.

buffalo has Tjack although not great i have not seen enough from flynn to say he is a huge upgrade. bills will be running a ball control offense with spiller pounding the rock Tjack can handle that in my estimation. so again if you are the bills why trade a 2-3 when you can draft a guy you like in the 2-3 and groom him to be your guy? the flip side to that is do the bills think they are a QB away from contending? hardly at least if they are honest.

jags are semi rebuilding and a couple 3 years from seriously contending. they aren’t very good and are going to get a complete change in system defensively and offensively. so again do you think flynn in 2 years is the next kurt warner come to lead you to the promised land? i doubt it besides if smith is there at 3 is he not a better option than flynn? now the coach knows flynn maybe he sees flynn worth it for say a 4th or 5th draft smith at 3 and let him develop behind flynn. lol then come august smith beats flynn to start.
    could flynn be a great QB? maybe/maybe not. would i be willing to trade a high pick on him, no way not for these teams.

supply maybe low for a quality starting QB, hold it is flynn a quality starting QB? no one knows.

demand as i stated in not that high, as i stated i have a friend in the raiders organization who says they would love to have flynn for a 4th or 5th maybe. at this point they are still trying to figure out which way to go.
    42 million in dead cap space if they cut palmer, again gotta love Al Davis. granted if they trade palmer for flynn they actually would save 2 million in cap but give up a pick.

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2013/03/27/morning-links-wilson-ready-to-take-next-step/#comment-321528#storylink=cpy

14. Singularitarian says:

you guysd are really losing sleep over a blogger?

15. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

not a bit when i go to bed i sleep like a baby.

16. chuck_easton says:

Oklahoma you sleep like a baby?

So you wake up crying every couple of hours to either be changed or fed?

Well that’s how I remember those years with my son! :)

17. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

lol, i still fuss a bit looking to breast feed, some habits die hard

18. Screensmoke says:

J- Irish is awakening

19. Screensmoke says:

Yankinta – come out and pplllaaaayyy!!!

20. 2-down, space eating DT’s are not that hard to find in the draft. That’s all Branch really is. Draft Jessie Williams (the DT that runs the 40 just as fast as Chase Thomas does), call it good. Branch was solid if unspectacular while here. I think we all wish he could have done a little more than he did.

21. Especially at $4 million/season. Agreed.

22. bbnate420 says:

Really, Georgia. I’m the yankster now? I guess it makes sense since you thought I was ACIB, at least for awhile. I’m all 3. But you left out the 2 or 3 nighthawks. ;-)

It’s too funny to even get bothered by. I think you would know by now, as I think the majority of people here would, that I am at least smart enough to hide my tracks a little better if I wanted to troll under different handles. The only other name I have used on here is natedog. Remember back when we were good friends and had some Hasselbeck/TJack lovefests? My account stopped working for some reason. They said I wasn’t blocked. I started a new account and it’s worked since. You can take it or leave it.

23. montanamike2 says:

Good morning guys, i just read where Carson Palmer says he would like to be traded, even as a backup as long as it was to a winning team.
    I like both Kolb and Young as backups because at this point everybody has to “buy in”. Everyone in the league knows that Wilson is the man in charge for Seattle, so that helps a lot. So far the only guy who wants his shot is Flynn and i honestly thought he was getting ready to take his lumps and be our backup. I was really impressed by Bobbyk yesterday and thought he showed a lot of maturity/restraint and should be commended. In a faceless computer world it’s impossible to know how old a person’s age is, what they’re going through in life or what crap they’ve been through. Yesterday morning was crazy for me as my T.V. popped a bulb in the AM at the same time the blog went into a frenzy.
    I’ve got a new bulb coming this morning so now i’m some kind of TV repairman. I still think this is the best blog i’ve ever been on and am glad to interact to all of you, even the guys who don’t like me.
    So thanks everybody.

24. montanamike2 says:

with all of you.

25. sluggo42 says:

Actually I’m ACID, YANKER, AND … UHH, the other one too

Montana, last time I played inside of a TV, I touched this little thing they call a capacitor, and it pretty well knocked me across the room and made me think I was dead for a few moments. So, watch out for that!

C’mon nnatedog, we all know its you!

I liked branch, but he wasn’t special enough to demand a big contract. His new agent should enlighten him that his best shot at a SB ring is to sign a reasonable contract and get down to vmack and start lifting weights.

26. banosser says:

I would love for JWilliams to be there for us in the 2nd.. but am afraid he’ll be gone by then.. perhaps they’d move up a few spots to get him if he’s still available in the mid 2nd…

27. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

lmao sluggo,i am waiting for yankinta to get off work and tell me how wrong i was on my qb assessment for those 3 teams. i always find it funny that people assume that a QB is you first priority when rebuilding. as i said it sure isn’t on a team with 42 million in dead cap. of the 3 buffalo is really the only one i see making a play.

28. bbnate420 says:

The Hawks don’t have much cap room when you factor in signing the draft picks and potentially a kicker. I think Branch will have to take close to the minimum if he wants to come back here. Maybe he’d take a one year deal and try again next off-season?

Carson Palmer is not getting traded anywhere unless he agrees to a major restructure/reduction of his contract. He’s owed approx. 13 mil towards the cap in 2013. And there’s not much evidence that he’s anything better than a slightly above average QB at this point.

I’m not an electrician but, a capacitor is a device that is used to storage an electrical charge. Certainly can be dangerous. I only know that because I play guitar and have some knowledge of how guitar and amplifier electronics work. I change the tubes on my amps, but you definitely don’t want to get into the guts of an electrical device like that unless you know what you’re doing. Obviously you want to unplug it, but the capacitors can store lethal charges, at least in amplifiers. You have to know how to safely drain the power out of them.

29. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

nate true on palmer although it saves the raiders 7 mill against the cap if the cut him. as i said makes sense for raiders to cut him as he is not the future. let’s face it the raiders will suck for probably 3-5 years and are dismantling the team to the ground. why would you give up a pick for a un proven QB when you can draft one with more upside?

30. HawkfaninMT says:

Curiosity strikes me… In all of the talk of WILL LBs, (and I only skimmed through last nights cat fight)Why don’t we ever here about Khaseem Greene or Arthur Brown with the Hawks 2nd? Is it because most think they would be gone by then?

I look at these 2 and I see Lance Briggs 2.0, and you better believe I would have traded a 2nd for him in his prime. Especially given the contracts these 2 would get being a 2nd round pick

31. bbnate420 says:

I agree about the Raiders and Flynn. I probably wouldn’t if I was them. The Raiders will almost certainly have to cut Palmer if he won’t restructure. Reports are that he won’t. He probably wants to get cut and just get out of that mess. He’s made a lot of money already. I was just saying that I cannot imagine anyone trading for him without him working out a salary reduction with them prior to the trade.

32. bbnate420 says:

I think Arthur Brown will be gone unless they move up, but he’d be a great pick. Greene could gone by 56 as well, but I have mentioned him as a pick at 56. Either him or Sio Moore.

33. PugetHawk says:

Branch is a run stopper with little pass rush ability so I am confused when it states that Michael Bennett is slated to take Branch’s place on the line. Isn’t Bennett a DE who can maybe play interior line during passing downs? Isn’t Bennett replacing Jason Jones in the lineup?

34. Arthur Brown and Khaseem Greene will likely be gone before we pick, yes. I also don’t necessarily think those two are the best options for this particular team.

I am also not much of a fan of Sio Moore. He looks more like a sam LB to me, which we could use for depth behind K.J., but I am guessing will LB is actually one of the few spots on this team where John and Pete see “need” at.

What we want is a guy that has state trooper type speed for pursuit, but a guy who is also very adept in space, and very disciplined where gap responsibility is concerned. Coverage is important too, however, my personal preference is a will LB that can also get to the QB.

I haven’t looked at every LB prospect there is this year, but Sean Porter caught my eye specifically for the preferred traits which I listed above. The way Carroll likes to bring young players along and put them in positions to do what it is they do best tells me he might love this kid because Sean Porter can do quite a few different things fairly well.

Of all the LB’s that went to the combine, Porter is the guy who I think most resembles a true weakside LB. He’s not quite the freak Pete and John seem to covet in terms of his physical build, but this is a player on the rise, who is quite coachable. Quinn and Norton could make a monster out this kid.

35. montanamike2 says:

I sucessfully repaired the TV! Before i take too much credit though i have to state that it’s a DLP where i basically unsrewed the old bulb and put the new one in. I am proud that i saved a couple hundred bucks and hassle, but i’m no more a television repairman than Spicoli in fast times.

36. I think its reasonable to expect Seattle to take either a fast LB or a DT with at least SOME pass rush ability in the second round. Hard to say which one, there havent been reports as to who Seattle is checking out yet, and I havent followed the draft process as closely as I usually do.

Ah well, Im likely doomed to hope I get ONE seahawk pick right in the draft-guessing contest again, at best.

HawkfaninMT–Be great if one of those guys WAS available at our second round pick, huh! Here’s hoping!

37. bbnate420 says:

PugetHawk, I agree with you. I think Bennett replaces Jones and takes some time from Red.

I like Sean Porter a lot, but I don’t think he’s going to get to the QB a lot in the NFL. He’s a beast in coverage. He could stand to add a few pounds. He’s smaller than Kam. I think Sio Moore is a prototypical WLB, but we’ll see. He’s probably not going to get you a bunch of sacks either.

38. nate, I wouldn’t expect to see Sean Porter leading the league in sacks or anything like that. That’s not what I am implying at all. By virtue of the scheme Seattle plays he would not get enough blitz opportunities to accomplish something like that. Porter is a blitzer, but not a true pass rusher. I know that you know there is a difference. If he excels at timing blitzes and is adept at getting slipping through creases then he’ll do some damage.

4.5 to 6 sacks in a season is right around where I would expect a very good blitzing LB in a 4-3 defense to be, and that’s not counting hurries and hits. That’s really all I am asking. Get us some LB’s that can chip in towards the pass rush, not necessarily lead the team in sacks.

Honestly, whether it’s Porter, Moore, or even Khaseem Greene (as one mock suggests), I really don’t care. There is an answer to the solution at WLB and I am sure John and Pete will find it.

39. bbnate420 says:

Sekolah, I haven’t seen enough of Porter to say whether or not he’s a good blitzer. I believe your evaluation of him. He’s not going to take on a tackle or TE though, not that you were saying he could. We’ll see if the LBs get blitzing opportunities under Quinn. I guessing it won’t be a major change, because if PC had really wanted more blitzes he would have gotten them. I’d like to see Wagner and a good WLB blitzing. Malcolm Smith actually looked pretty good blitzing the few times he did.