Morning links: Wilson ready to take next step

Post by Eric Williams on March 27, 2013 at 6:22 am with 203 Comments »
March 27, 2013 6:22 am
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson (3) pushes past St. Louis Rams' Eugene Sims for a 15-yard run in the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Dec. 30, 2012, in Seattle. The Seahawks won 20-13. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson (3) pushes past St. Louis Rams’ Eugene Sims for a 15-yard run in the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Dec. 30, 2012, in Seattle. The Seahawks won 20-13. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

In my story today, I talked with Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson about his plans to improve this offseason after a record-setting performance in his rookie year.

Wilson is spearheading a minicamp for Seattle’s offensive skill position players in Los Angeles before the team’s offseason program begins April 15. And he’s already watched every game from 2012 at least five times in order to self evaluate his performance last season.

“It’s basically getting into the groove of things and getting that swagger back,” Wilson said. “I think that’s going to be really important. Just having the reps, and letting those guys know what I can do well, and bringing that to the table. And also having that bonding experience when you’re together with the guys, it’s going to be pretty great for us.

“That’s part of having a championship-caliber offseason — getting your mind ready to play. It’s about when we get back, we’re sharp. And we’re ready to play. Our mind is ready to get going. That’s how we can separate ourselves.”

Mike Freeman of CBS Sports talks with new Seattle defensive end Cliff Avril about the stressful time that is free agency. Avril: “The main thing now is I love where I am. This is a winning organization. I think I do things that can help the defense. When I signed here, I heard from almost all of the Seahawks DBs. They were happy to have another pass rusher. I feel like this team is already great and I want to help make it even better.”

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports that Jacksonville is the most likely destination in a trade for Matt Flynn, with Buffalo and Oakland also potential suitors. According to the report, a trade could happen before the draft. La Canfora says the Seahawks would be looking at no more than or fourth or fifth round pick for Flynn. This makes some sense. The Seahwks could have some motivation to get a trade for Flynn taken care of before the offseason program begins on April 15.

Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com reports that Vince Young looked impressive performing in front of scouts at the University of Texas pro day. Young is back at his former school finishing up his degree, and reportedly has received preliminary interest from a few teams looking for a backup.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports ranks Seattle No. 5 in his latest NFL power rankings.

Jim Wyatt of The Tennessean talks with former Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, who says he’s still a little shocked by the Titans releasing him last week. Hasselbeck, rebounded nicely, signing a two-year, $8 million deal to backup Andrew Luck in Indianapolis.

Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal reports that the Browns have signed Jason Campbell to a two-year deal to push incumbent Brandon Weeden for Cleveland’s starting quarterback job.

Steve Corkran of the Inside Bay Area news group reports that Oakland has signed offensive tackle Alex Barron, who was with Seattle during training camp last year.

Morning links

Good article Eric.

Wilson is so positive, and such a glue player.

If they do trade Flynn I hope they could get a pick this year,( 4 or 5) and perhaps a pick next year based on his performance. Mabey something like a 5 at worst and 3 at best.

3. Georgia – I’m surprised you didn’t e-mail with a quote or two about Wilson like three other bloggers did for this article I wrote about Wilson today.

4. montanamike2 says:

We have so many leaders where before we really didn’t have any, chemistry is big and people who come here want to be here. That why i’m not even worried about Harvin being a cancer to this team,plus i’m sure Rice told him what he needs to do to get out of Minny. I bet Wilson has already watched the teams we play this year but didn’t last year at least twice already. I’m stoked my new Hawks baseball cap gets delivered today so i can wear it on my trip. I can’t wait for the draft.

5. montanamike2 says:

This is the best Seahawks team i’ve ever seen, i love you PC/JS.

I just read your article on Wilson BobbyK. That was a good read.
    I loved the pic too. I remember that play last year in pre season when Washington sent Berry flipping like a circus performer. That’s when I realized that I was wrong about sending Wahington to the scrap heap.
    I kind of wish we would have kept him this year, if for anything else insurance, and perhaps to see him get the kickoff return TD record in as a Seahawk.

“…The Seahawks might not be able to get more than a fourth- or fifth-round pick for Flynn.”

8. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

wow, thought we were rid of him

9. montanamike2 says:

Duke they might be trying to unload his salary cap hit for the next 2 years, just saying.

10. yankinta says:

Nah, that’s just speculation. These experts were saying 49ers would get 3rd round pick at best for Alex Smith, before that trade. And we all KNOW what 49ers GOT. :)

Isn’t watching and learning fun for us all?

11. I think the Seahawks can get a 5th round pick for Flynn without a problem but at that level it’s not worth it for the Seahawks. If Jacksonville doesn’t find their QB in the draft, I see them paying up with a 4th round pick (with the trade occuring during the third day). I don’t see a team offering any more than that.

Having Russell Wilson as the QB makes me a little nervous as a 30 year Seahawks fan. With Wilson as QB, the franchise could put together multiple titles this decade. I haven’t seen an opportunity like this in 30 years.

What makes me nervous is the team not capitalizing on this. This team was Championship level in 2012. They should have won a title. Last year the team was incredibly healthy. Did they not capitalize on their talent level because the team was young and relatively new playing with each other? Or was it because of the only way they have lost games over the past 1.5 years – end of the game defensive failures? If so, is this something the Coach understands and is willing to fix through better decision making? Or is he placing the blame solely on the players?

I am hoping it’s simply youth and with one more year they will get better due to age and another year playing with each other. Which hopefully leads to better end of game results. But fixing the end of game problem is what will give us the Championships we should have – not necessarily signing a few FAs.

12. chrisj122 says:

The general expectation for the Hawks this next season is off the chart. A lot of that expectation is because of what Wilson was able to do in his first year.

It’s almost not fair to put this much pressure on a 2nd year QB, regardless of how great he was in his first season but having said that I feel confident that Wilson will avoid the sophomore slump due to his crazy work ethic and desire to be great.

What impressed me most about Wilson last year was his ability to put the game on his shoulders late in games in high pressure situations. I don’t recall ever seeing any rookie QB thrive so well in must score situations.

I really hope this team can live up to the high expectations.

13. seahawksteven777 says:

yankinta: Why do you feel the need to talk down to everyone else like you’re the only one that knows something? Great, you have your opinions, but don’t parade them around as facts and then call others uneducated when others disagree with your opinion.

I think it’s weird how you disappear when you got called out but then you reappear when a report of Flynn possibly being dealt surfaces. Newsflash, he still isn’t being dealt for a third rounder.

14. montanamike2 says:

Pabs i think it’s a bit of both, and the injuries at seasons end bit us hard. I think losing clemmons and big reds foot injury would have made it hard to beat SF at home, we might have won but i don’t know if we could have beat the Ravens with 0 pass rush.

15. yankinta says:

seahawksteven777, if you were paying attention, I was only responding to people that talked down to me. I never threw the first punch. :) plus I never disappeared. I only comments on threads that interest me. One of my favorite topics is Flynn Trade.

I don’t remember people calling me out. I noticed that a few here were classless and cussing, so I chose to ignore them.

16. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

yanknita, in case you didn’t see it i called you a liar and a fraud. oh and an arrogant ass. but i am pretty sure you saw it. oh an i also said you are posting under at least two other names. still waiting for a reply?

17. yankinta says:

hawkfaninoklahoma, in case you didn’t see it, I chose to ignore you because you are classless and cuss a lot.

But you are really good at kissing butt to Dukeshire and BobbyK. I give you props for that. :)

18. montanamike2 says:

Yank you said you stood firmly on comments that you posted last year but after all these years of reading and then posting on this blog, i do’nt remember ever seeing you post until recently.

19. yankinta says:

montanamike2, I don’t comment a lot since only trading for future draft picks and building for the future interests me. :)

And kissing butt is a huge turn off for me so I usually stop reading if someone starts doing that. :)

20. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

yanknita, i am classless? what’s that make you? you lie constantly about your past on the blog. you never posted before the flynn trade talks this year, i looked.you never posted in the big wins this year or thru the playoffs.the only post other than anything flynn is one on harvin .you claim all this knowledge yet only post on that? i believe i have swore using one word “ass” not a swear word in context and fits you nicely. you are a liar and a fraud yanknita .

21. chuck_easton says:

hey then, there’s the answer. Let’s all pretend to start kissing the yankster’s butt so he’ll stop reading and posting!

I know, the thought is totally repugnant but if it accomplished the task I’ll take one for the team.

22. bbnate420 says:

Wow, this thread is hard to stomach.

BTW, I’m sick of this RW kid already is it just me?

Just you. lol

24. chrisj122 says:

I’ve been pretty busy this off-season with work and personal stuff, so I haven’t been on the Blog as much as I normally like to but some of you are really going at one another.
    Maybe I need to start paying attention because usually this time of year is slow and not much to talk about.

Way to keep it interesting guys!

25. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

oh well i don’t have time for this today. Yanknita i defended a lot of your reasoning it was your arrogance and lying that made me start looking into your past on here. lying and arrogance are much worse than butt kissing in my book. and if i am wrong about you, prove it. simple thing really but you can’t can you?

26. bbnate420 says:

yankster, it was nice of your mother to let you slither up from the cellar to use the computer this morning. Congrats. Don’t forget to come back when Flynn gets traded for only a 4th or stays. And I don’t mind which one of your 3 names you use. But maybe a 4th was what you said all along? First, it was a 2nd and a conditional. Then a 3rd and a conditional. Then it was IF he got traded. What’s the story this week?

27. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

Nate, i am sure that is just you,lol

28. bbnate420 says:

chrisj122, this blog always seems to start to feed on itself during the slow periods. Keeps it interesting at least I guess. If you think this is bad, just imagine if the Hawks have some injuries or just play badly and start out like 2-4. I think you would witness a nuclear implosion on this blog.

29. montanamike2 says:

I think i follow you Nate. RW and this whole team sucks so bad that i wan’t to hurt myself badly. We’re worse than the ‘Cards.

30. yankinta says:

bnate420, Watch and Learn, instead of kissing butt. I’m sure your MOM taught you more than Kissing Butt. :)

31. Feeding Trolls is bad form; they tend to follow you home, too.

I dont mind sharing a home with many other bloggers, but I like my home to be relatively Troll-Free.

DO NOT FEED TROLLS.

Russell Wilson is a wonder. I cant believe I ever doubted him, and Im proud to say I was on the Wilson bandwagon, so to speak, BEFORE we drafted him. I must admit I never thought he would really win the starting job, let alone keep it and run with it deep in the playoffs. I cant ever remember being so excited for a Seahawks season.

Cliff Avril sounds like a great guy to bring aboard. Between him, Bennett, and Irvin, not to mention the guys duking it out for roster spots (Scruggs, Davis, Konz, etc), we should have an actual pass-rush this year. Which everyone believes will help the secondary look even more intimidating, not to mention helping the LB crew as well.

Im so excited IM GONNA DIE!

32. bbnate420 says:

The team’s not going to save a lot of cap money trading Flynn away, not unless they go with a rookie backup. Now Campbell is gone. He was the best backup left IMO. Kolb will probably be available at some point, but he probably is going to command at least 3 mil. Fitzpatrick got 3.25 mil and Hasselbeck got 4 mil. That nullifies most of the 5.25 mil saved by trading Flynn. It’s mostly about the pick if they trade him IMO. Unless they just draft a rookie QB to be the backup. They then will probably save a little over 4 mil by trading Flynn, but that’s playing with fire.

33. yankinta says:

Here comes another butt kisser. lol

34. yankinta says:

bbnate420, finally, Thank you. Now, that was good observation. I agree with you but I don’t think we’re trying to save Cap. We currently have 6 Mil in the cap.

We’re trading for value, John won’t trade Flynn, if the offer was less than a 3rd round pick. He knows that he has to trade him while the Demand is Hot. If not, we’ll have to let Flynn go next year for free next year and take the same cap hit. Or Do you think we will pay Flynn 7 plus millions next year to be a backup??

You know the Seahawks are really good when most of the talk these days are about backups. Lol.

36. bbnate420 says:

Actually, signing someone like Kolb would eat up all of the 3.25 mil saved in 2013 by trading Flynn, if not more, and then you’d have to find an option for less than the 2 mil they were going to owe Flynn against the 2014 cap if you want to save any money by trading him. That means a rookie or QB they draft in 2013 being the 2014 backup.

37. yankinta says:

If they trade Flynn, I doubt they will sign someone as a backup. Most likely, they’ll draft someone. Remember JS is from Packers. The Packers do this all the time, drafting a project QB and developing him, then trading him after a couple of years.

They’ll prob use that extra cap to extend KJ Wright. I like KJ a lot!!, I hope we can keep him.

38. princeaden says:

I think they paid Housh $7mil for nothing. They will do what they fell is best for the organization.

39. yankinta says:

Princeaden, That was Tim Ruskell, Not John Schneider…

You can’t compare the best GM in the History Seahawks to one of the worst GM EVER!!!

40. bbnate420 says:

yankster, well, if you think that was a good observation, then you should bother to read more of my posts. They’re chalked full of them! :-)

No, I don’t think they will keep Flynn in 2014. I’ve said so MANY times. Not unless an anvil falls on RW anyways. I said that having Flynn as the backup for only 2013 was worth it unless they can get at least a very high 4th for him since the cap savings is minimal to nil. I’m not sure that I’d trade him for even a high 4th now that all of the even halfway decent backups have been signed. Maybe if one comes free that they can get. I’m nervous about having a 3rd round or later rookie QB be our backup. RW’s don’t fall off of trees every year.

41. I would like to see the Seahawks trade Flynn for a 4th round pick and then sign Kolb as a backup, even if there is no salary cap savings.

In that scenario, the Seahawks slightly improve their backup QB situation AND get an extra 4th round pick. I would then like them to deal that extra 4th round pick to improve their 2nd round positioning and draft a Defensive starter.

This year is all-in – they will not make a move solely due to salary cap reasons.

42. bbnate420 says:

yankster, you’re not too quick on the uptake for someone that is supposedly smarter than everyone else here. princeaden was referring to when PC/JS RELEASED Housh in 2010 even though he was owed 7 mil for the year. DUH!!!!!!

43. Actually, Schneider/Carroll did pay Housh $7m to do nothing. They cut him and paid him his guaranteed $7m to leave. They didn’t write the contract, just cleaned it up.

44. yankinta says:

bbnate420, I’m pretty confident (based on History) that we’ll get at least a 3rd round value for Flynn. At this point, I’m thinking Oakland will give us a 2014 2nd round pick for Flynn. They don’t have a lot of picks this year and we don’t need extra picks this year.

I LOVE BJ Daniels so I would be okay if we get him in the 6th round to backup RW. Remember, 49ers will most likely do the same (meaning drafting a backup QB). I would say that Colin is more likely to get hurt than RW.

45. yankinta says:

Opps, I misread it. lol sorry. True. Yup, they didn’t sign him but they released him on their day one of JS/PC GM-partnership. :)

I would say that, they can do that since they didn’t sign him to a ridiculous contract. That’s not the same as paying Flynn 7.5 Mil to be backup in 2014, if they could get 2nd round pick in 2014 for him.

You got to give Flynn some credit here, he has more action on this blog then he has on the football field.

47. Are you kidding about BJ Daniels? The only place he’s playing QB is in the CFL.

48. bbnate420 says:

montanamike2, I was joking with the RW comment, in case you didn’t catch it. Though it would be overkill to me personally if I read as many RW articles as Georgia does. No offense.

I was also just commenting on the irrational exuberance of the blog concerning the Hawks these days. It’s still not even April folks. A lot can happen between now and February. The higher and more unrealistic your expectations, the more likely you are to go mental when they are not fulfilled. See week 1 of the 2012 season. I went mental thanks to the alcohol, and I didn’t even consider the Tards a cakewalk like many here did. I think the Hawks have a really good shot this year, but I’m not going to crown them in March.

49. Jacksonville Jaguars, Oakland Raiders, and Buffalo Bills are in the mix for Flynn…

If Schneider wants to trade Flynn before the draft, the best thing he could do would be to trade him to Buffalo for Tarvaris Jackson plus a late-round pick. That way, the Seahawks have a solid backup QB and save a pile of cash needed to extend contracts.

If they don’t make that trade before the draft, they’ll be stuck. Even if Oakland or Jacksonville offers up a draft pick during the draft, Pete Carroll isn’t about let Schneider trade away his only qualified backup QB without having a replacement ready to go. That would be a bonehead move for any team on the verge of a championship. Rebuilding is over. Every win is critical this season, including the games when Wilson can’t go.

Trade for Jackson, or nail Flynn’s butt to the bench and end the trade-for-draft-picks talk. We don’t need no stinking draft picks. We need an experienced backup QB.

50. yankinta says:

pabuwal, what about BJ Daniels makes you believe his only place is in the CFL? Is it because he’s 5′ 10.5″?

51. yankinta says:

Stevos, so you’re against draft picks?? lol, JS/PC built this Seahawks team through the DRAFT. Have you not been paying attention? They can turn a 5th round pick in the Richard Sherman, All Pro CB…. :)

52. bbnate420 says:

pabuwal, he seriously is high on BJ Daniels, for what it’s worth. Not much if you ask me. A small, slightly above average athlete who could only muster being mediocre at best at South Florida. He showed no ability to improve on top of it. His best year was his first. No thanks. I’d rather sign Josh Johnson.

bbnate420- I’m trying to cut down on the RW reading. I really am. And it’s easier to do when we have Matt Hasselbeck artcles to read like today.
    Do you want to hear why I think Hasselbeck should be Wilsons backup? Lol.

54. bbnate420 says:

Write me a song about it, Georgia. ;-)

55. chuck_easton says:

Yankster likes Daniels because he’s 5’10.5″ 217 Lbs and black (what if he were 5’10.5″ and white? Would the yankster be so high on him? Not that it matters, just a pattern I’ve observed). So, that means he’s going to be just as good as Wilson. Because they have so much in common.

Well except that Daniels was only 21-21 as a starter in College. He’s only the 3rd best QB in his school’s history and NFL teams have asked him to try out at both WR and DB during drills.

But other than that he’s a Wilson clone so he might as well wear number 2.0

Too early for that, lol. Maybe after happy hour on Friday.

57. I’m not high on trying to bring Tjack back. Sure, he “knows the system”, but he’s still garbage and would not win this team a championship if he had to. They are better off drafting some young kid they can mold. And as others have mentioned here, that is what JS is accustom to with his background in GB. I guess i’d be content if they bring in a vet and also draft a rookie to compete with him. I just dont see bringing in TJack as their end all for the backup spot. But, as we have all seen, this FO shocks us all when we are least expecting it. I do trust in them and their decisions, so this will be interesting to see what happens

58. bbnate420 says:

Just because Daniels is around the same height as RW doesn’t mean he’s fit to carry RW’s jock. I’m only an inch taller than RW, I guess I must be able to play like him.

59. yankinta says:

chuck_easton, lol. I didn’t go that far. I was so high on RW, I would have been happy, if we picked him with our first round pick. I am saying get BJ with 6th or 7th round pick. So it’s not the same at all. :)

As for your racist comments, my comment is no comments.

Yankourchain, forget about it. There will never be another Russell Wilson.
    But I do agree with you that we could get a higher than expected pick for Flynn. We all know that QB hungry teams can get desperate sometimes.

61. I can’t even find one positive thing to say about BJ Daniels with regards to his abilities in the NFL. I watched him play for 4 years.

62. montanamike2 says:

BBNATE i totally was joking with you, please don’t take it any other way. I know what you mean about getting your hopes up, this is a tough division, now the toughest in the NFL. When we were a hair from winning about 3 games! at the last second and we lost, i went to bed and didn’t get out until the next day. They were AM games! Just 1 game and we had home field advantage, heartbreak. Am i crazy in thinking that we have the best qb out there?

What do you think BobbyK about bringing TJack back?

64. yankinta says:

pabuwal, wow, 4 years? really? I only watched his highlights so I guess I don’t know. But from what I’ve seen so far, he has strong arm, can make all NFL type throws and he is one of the fastest QB. So you don’t think he’s worth even a late round pick,,, hmm… I’m pretty sure he’ll get drafted. I guess we’ll see.

65. chuck_easton says:

Yankser,

I made no racist comments. I made an observation. The only color I see when I look at my favourite team is Blue and neon green.

I hate when every black QB is compared to McNabb, Young, Russell…

I hate when every white WR is the next ‘Wes Welker’.

There can only be one Russell Wilson. He is an excellent QB despite his size. Just because another QB has identical physical traits, i.e. size build, etc. does not make them another Wilson.

Seattle got lightning in a bottle with Wilson. It’s not going to happen again.

66. bbnate420 says:

I wonder how TJack would respond to being brought back to be the backup? He supposedly resigned with the Bills with the understanding that he could compete for the starting job. Now he’s back in Seattle as the backup.

I don’t think it’s a bad idea if TJack would be willing to and the Hawks are definitely going to trade Flynn for whatever reason. TJack and a 5th is better than a 4th from someone else at this point IMO.

The Hawk’s chances of winning the SB take a big hit whether it would be TJack or Flynn relieving RW IMO. Flynn is still a relative unknown, so it’s just a guess really. The question is, can TJack win you a couple of games if RW is hurt for a couple of weeks during the season? Actually, can he not lose you a couple of games? I think he can.

67. Stevos–Thout it would likely mean Bobbyk blows a gasket, I agree that if they wanna trade Flynn, it makes sense to trade with Buffalo and get T-Jack back. He won about half his games here with a decent team; we now have a GREAT team, so while his play wont improve the end result should be slightly better. He’s a capable backup, and can run too. If we’re gonna dump Flynn for anything less than a third next year, we might as well bring Jackson back into the fold. He knows the system and probably Harvin, and he wont get big money.

Still, my druthers would be to keep Flynn no matter how pissy he is about it. Its not Seattle’s fault they gave him a chance and lots of money and he got beaten out by a rookie. Who’da thunk it?! Having a fine backup is a great place to be in, and IMO he’s by far the best option at the backup qb spot for us.

Agree bbnate420, with TJack we came close to a 8-8, ( and now we have more talent and maturity) so yes, I think he would be a capable backup.

69. bbnate420 says:

No problem, montanamike2. I just wasn’t sure if you got my meaning. I wasn’t sure if you were being sarcastic or not.

70. yankinta, I’m not against draft picks. And I was a Richard Sherman fan long before he was drafted.

I’m against having a maturing team on the verge of competing for a championship going into a season with out an experienced backup QB on the bench ready to win games. Show me a guy you can draft in this year’s 3rd round who will be ready to go to San Francisco and win his first-ever game in the NFL? Even Richard Sherman wasn’t capable of starting until late in his rookie season, and that’s just a CB, not a QB.

This team is done with rebuilding mode for the time-being. They are in win-now mode. Draftees who might mature in two years are not the priority this year. Unlike 2010-12, Carroll and Schneider have begun placing premium value on players who can contribute THIS YEAR. This change in strategy has happened because they see this team starting to peak, and a team’s peak never lasts long in the NFL.

Carroll knows that one or two extra losses means playing on the road throughout the playoffs. He will not go into this season without a backup QB he trusts to win. A third round draft pick is not what he needs to fill that crucial role this year.

Jackson would be a good and cost-saving option. Flynn is an excellent and pricey option. But well worth it if/when Wilson gets injured. If there is another good option I havent’ heard it yet.

71. yankinta says:

chuck_easton, I only compared BJ to RW because Pete Carroll said they would like to have a backup QB that has similar skills to RW. This would mean, he can do read-options as well as fairly accurate passer. His Passer Rating in College is the same as RW passer rating when he played for NC State. He’s Fast and weighs 205 lbs, meaning can take some hits, not Fragile.

Maybe you should ask before making those assumptions, in the future. :)

72. sluggo42 says:

correction…

my apologies for the labrum, and not rotator cuff tear.

I cant remember where I saw te labrum, but further research reveals y’all are spot on, as usual.

It is obviously a minor tear, as he couldnt play otherwise. my rotator surgery involved major reattachment by using 4 screws. the screws have sutures built into them, and they basically just cut whats left off the bone. they clean up the ends, rough up the bone, drill holes and set the screws in, then suture the ends back into the bone, and let it regrow back on. that surgery took a year before I felt reasonably solid again.

my arm was about useless prior, so if he can still play, it cant be that bad. But it does hurt, and its weaker too.

73. chuck_easton says:

Well aside from the obvious fun of watching BobbyK have an internet heart attack, I wouldn’t mind seeing TJack back at all.

He was a true professional when he was here. He played through a very painfull injury. He was well liked by his teammates. Is he a guy that is going to take you to the SB? Nope, but he would be a very capable backup.

74. Eric – this blog could really use threaded responses instead of one big, flat list. Threading allows readers to more easily filter out the endless, pointless bickering that occurs here. You said this, no I didn’t, yes you did… It gets tiring for many of us and chases readers away. And if you think this is just Yankster, it is not. There is tons of bickering here without that poster.

75. bbnate420 says:

I haven’t seen enough of Daniels against good competition to comment on his game speed for sure, but he ran a reported 4.63-4.65 40 at his pro day. Those are completely hand timed, so there’s a good chance he would’ve been around a 4.7 at the combine. Combine official times are almost always slower. That hardly makes him very fast in the NFL. RW ran a 4.50 at the combine for comparison.

76. chuck_easton says:

Pilot,

Aside from the name calling, the fun of this blog is the debate (ok, bickering). As long as the attack doesn’t get personal.

77. yankinta says:

Stevos, I agree with you but I think/like how our FO calculates and take risks. It’s gotten so much for us, thus far. I just don’t think we could/should turn down a valuable draft pick, if we get an offer, on fears alone that RW may get hurt. RW has shown us over and over that he will get down and avoid big hits. So I like the chances that he won’t get hurt.

78. bbnate and STTBM, I think we’re on the same page on this one.

And STTBM… I don’t know about you, but I sort of enjoy watching some people blow a gasket here. lol.

79. Pilot, lol, Yankster never throws the first punch.

80. chuck-easton — well said. Wow, praise for our old teammate TJack on this blog. warms the cockles of the heart. lol…

yankinta,
    you are right, I do remember Pete Carroll saying they would like to have a backup QB that has similar skills to RW. So I take back what I said about you looking for the next Russell Wilson. Just finding a capable backup, ( on the cheap ) is probably more like what you said.

82. bbnate420 says:

Pilot, you know you don’t have to read any of the comments, right? You could simply choose to skip certain posters. You choose to read them. Just sayin’.

83. lol, GeorgiaHawk,,, :)

Oh, no, someone finally agreed with me on this blog. It’s gonna rain today… lol

84. yank – I’ll agree with you on a couple of things. PC and JS will take risks. And they will surprise us all. Cheers.

85. I think they should keep Flynn one more year AND draft a QB to replace him next year. That way next year we could release/trade him and have a back-up with at least a year under his belt. We have to much potential this year to risk not having a sevicable back-up. I know it’s been said hundreds of times and I agree with it totally, but this year cold come down to a game and we can’t risk it if Wilson gets banged up. Go Hawks.

You know how to shut a blog down fast? Be in agreement all the time. Lol.

87. bbnate420 says:

Just watched about 11 minutes of BJ Daniels highlights. He made about 5-6 NFL quality throws the entire time. He does have pretty impressive agility, albeit versus inferior competition. Not going to be that easy in the NFL.

88. yakinta is FAR from the most arrogant and opinionated poster on this blog.

Before calling him a troll, look up the meaning of the word because he clearly is not one.

In fact, some of his comments are spot-on and insightful, and especially so when compared to some of the drivel we here day-in-day-out but other around here.

He obviously a Seahawks fan and knowledgeable about what’s going on with the team.

We have several other on this blog, who shall remain nameless, who beat topics into the ground long after they have any relevance to this team whatsoever.

He’s absolutely right on a few topics including Matt Flynn’s value and the level of ass-kissing that goes on around here.

So, before calling him a troll and telling him to get lost, make sure you’re speaking for yourself because some of us appreciate some of the contributions he make here.

89. Well, Thanks Stevos, but this move wouldn’t surprise me at all. :)

Did you hear about how many people approached JS/PC at the owners meeting last week? Our FO is becoming the most respected FO in the NFL, in front of our eyes…. it makes me so Proud to be a Seahawks Fan. :)

90. Audible, thanks for the support. :)

91. bbnate420 says:

In the interest of reality, Daniels did not have as good a QB rating as RW did at NC State. And that’s with RW throwing it about twice as much against much better competition. And RW DID have the year at Wisconsin. After he quit baseball no less. Daniels didn’t. He just put up the same mediocre numbers year in and year out at South Florida.

92. bbnate420 says:

Audible, name some names. Let’s get this thread fired up again. ;-)

93. bbnate420, I meant to say his completion %%, which is around 59%…

But since you’ve done the research, What are BJ’s numbers and how do those compare to RW numbers at NC State??

94. Eric, where’s that edit feature you promised us? LOL That’s one thing that would really boost the quality of content on this blog. Perhaps, that’s how you could sell it to your developers.

That could be part of your legacy here when you get poached by ESPN.

95. Sheesh…I need coffee. Sorry for the large number of mistakes in my previous post…I don’t want to sound illiterate when defending someone. LOL

yakinta is FAR from the most arrogant and opinionated poster on this blog.

In fact, his comments are often spot-on and insightful, and especially so when compared to some of the drivel we HEAR day-in-day-out on this blog.

He’s obviously a Seahawks fan and knowledgeable about what’s going on with our team.

We have several other on this blog, who shall remain nameless, that beat topics into the ground long after they have any relevance to this team whatsoever.

He’s absolutely right on a few topics including Matt Flynn’s value and the level of ass-kissing we see every day.

So, before calling him a troll and telling him to get lost, understand that you’re speaking for yourself because some of us appreciate the contributions he makes here.

96. Audible – I apologize for whatever I did to you.

Something to think about Audible.
    Imo, when all else fails find common ground. Seahawks football and Beer. Not necessarily in that order.

98. Passive aggression is best capped off with a smiley face! Go Hawks!

99. chuck_easton says:

So Audible, should we restart the debate on whether or not Aaron Curry is a bust? That should get some fun going here.

I am on record that I don’t see the team getting a third for Flynn. And I was in the start Flynn camp to begin last season. I think Flynn has a good chance to be a starter. I just don’t see a market.

But it only takes one team to think they have to outbid the others. So crazier things have happened.

I am just not so positive as to tell other people they have no clue what they are talking about because they don’t agree with me. That is the issue here. Have an opionion, but don’t take offense when others don’t agree. Been there, done that. It only ends badly.

Hey, if the draft rolls around and the Yankster is correct, I’ll be here to congratulate him. If he isn’t I won’t be doing the told ya so dance, but I certainly expect yankinta to be here to explain how he could have been so off in his assessment.

100. By the way, I was a fan of RW, Sherman, and KJ Wright when they were playing elementary school soccer; so … I guess I’m the best fan!

101. chuck_easton, lol,, I have been sooo ON in my assessment so far, especially the past 2 years… And I always back my assessment with factual reasoning/History lessons.

p.s, I have never thrown the first punch.

102. montanamike2 says:

If i’m an ass kisser for agreeing or being able to see someone elses point of view(not always), then so be it. I remember when this blog all but dried up a couple of times, as of now there’s over 100 posts.
    Clearly the prospect of trading Flynn is having a huge effect.
    I’m willing to be called out.

103. bbnate420 says:

Daniels the 4 years he actually played versus RW in 3 years at NC State:

Completion %, first year to last: Daniels- 53.7, 58.4, 58.9, and 56.9. RW- 54.5, 59.3, and 58.4.

QB Rating, first year to last: Daniels- 139.5, 120.3, 126.7, and 126.
    RW- 133.9, 147.8, and 127.5.

Attempts: Daniels- 227, 245, 365, and 290. RW- 275, 378, and 527.

Of course this ignores the fact that Daniels was at USF and RW was at a school in a real conference. And the fact that RW was splitting his time between baseball and football. And the fact that he went to a Big 12 school and had the highest QB rating in the history of college football. But an equal comparison besides those few issues.

104. I would contend the Big East was better than the ACC for those years.

105. So then, I was right….BJ numbers are similar to RW’s numbers at NC State. I’m not sure about the competition though.

I still think 6th round or 7th round pick would be a good value for us to get BJ and have him learn from the Master. :)

yankinta- What exactly was your assessment the last two years that you have been so on about again?
    And what were the times of this/or these assessments?
    And what was your username during these times?

107. I don’t need to name names…you guys know who I’m talking about!

Some of the BS posts that talk Sh*& about current players, coaches, management, former players, etc…from people who couldn’t man-up enough to look them in the eye if ever they were to meet in person.

It’s this sort of cowardice and hypocrisy that annoys the hell out of me.

If there was more tolerance for guys like yankinta and less tolerance for the tough-talking weaklings and bullies among us, this blog would be a hell of a lot more informative and run to read.

The problem is this is a public forum that’s designed to promote the trib, which is why they have low standards for the content that posters are allowed to submit. They’re not going to turn anyone away.

If I were in charge, I”d appoint volunteers to police the content.

108. GeorgiaHawk, I’m done explaining. so nvm. Just for you, only,,, I am wrong and I have never been right in my life. okay?? :)

109. bbnate420 says:

yankster, I guess you could say they were kind of similar, but RW’s look significantly better to me. And he was throwing the ball significantly more. And not just throwing swing passes, bubble screens, and short slants 90+ % of the time like Daniels. And of course, RW DID go to Wisconsin and have a 191.8 rating, the highest ever. Daniels just had another mediocre year his last one. You can’t just ignore his year at Wisconsin. That’s like assuming you can beat someone up because you could when you both were younger, ignoring that fact that they’ve been working out 5 hours a day since and are a top MMA fighter.

110. bbnate420 says:

Georgia, yankster can’t name any because it hasn’t happened on here. People have gone back and looked. He’s been challenged to post them many times. Still waiting. Sounds fishy to me. Sounds like ACIB, oops yankster, is overcompensating for being wrong about a certain midget QB.

111. bbnate420, I agree with you. But I think you’re forgetting something. BJ does not have any talent around him at South Florida. RW had a ton of NFL talent around him at Wisconsin.

That’s why I think he could do well as a backup here for the Seahawks.

Of course RW looks a lot better. That’s why I’ve been saying RW will be better than Luck or RG3 from day one. :)

112. bbnate420 says:

Audible, who would police this site? What high standards would you enforce for posting? If you think that a lot of what the yankster posts, assuming that is his only handle on here, is the type sophisticated, enlightening content we need here then I would have to seriously question your ability to be the blog police.

113. Actually, Dukeshire knows cuz we went back and forth last year, during the traning camp cuz I suggested trading Matt Flynn before regular season began.

It’s true, this is not the only blog for me. I also comment on other Blogs like Seattle times and a couple of other Seahawks blogs. :)

114. princeaden says:

Audible, I have no power in my own life, so I would be happy to take on the position of blog police. Where do I get my badge ?

115. bbnate420 says:

yankster, Daniels could turn out to be great. I don’t know a ton about him. I do know that teams are having him do DB and WR drills. That doesn’t mean they’re right, but they are professionals.

I’d argue that Denard Robinson is better than Daniels and he’s trying to make it as a WR in the NFL.

bbnate420- You may be right. All he/she has to do is give me about the time these assessments were made, what they were, and what username was used.
    I have alot of time on my hands, I can look it up.
    I would like to defend you Yankita, but I can’t do it if you don’t provide me with those details.
    Sorry Audible, not sure what to do with this. Any ideas?

117. bbnate420 says:

yankster, I think you have good stuff to say a lot of the time. Or at least used to before the Flynn debate. Your arrogance regarding Flynn is what turned a lot of people off.

I first remember you posting around the time of Lynch’s DUI arrest. You may have been around earlier, but I certainly don’t remember you banging the drum for RW pre-draft, post-draft, or during TC.

118. montanamike2 says:

I personally don’t care what his handle was, he was right that Curry was a bust and it’s the pounding it to the ground years later that bugs, i can live with that because people can grow and change opinions, even admit when they were wrong. Saying i hate you to Eric went too far, i’ve even agreed with him and against him. I could go on about what a weird isolated world this is and how some people need acceptance because of whatever but i don’t care. Just be cool and people will be cool back. It’s all about the Seahawks!

119. bbnate420 says:

I would disagree abut the Big East being better than the ACC in those years, but it’s subjective and I don’t feel overly strong about that position. I’d take Virginia Tech, Miami, Florida State, Clemson, and North Carolina over Louisville, Cincinnati, Rutgers, Syracuse, and PITT.

120. bbnate420 says:

BTW, Autenpus, I was talking up Wright, Sherm, BB, and RW when half of them was swimming up their mothers’ uterine tubes, so I got you beat. Ha ha.

121. Sorry, there’s not value in proving those comments to you. Who cares if I was right or not.

You’re right about Denard Robinson but I don’t think he will last until 6th round. He’ll by gone by 3rd or 4th round.

So if you can’t provide the comments you said you made you have no value here?
    Ok, I can live with that. Lol.

123. If NE thinks they can get a 1st or 2nd rounder for Mallett https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/316725851733520385, then it would be way too low to trade Matt Flynn for a 4th or 5th.

124. bbnate420 says:

That doesn’t mean they think they can get a 1st or 2nd for Mallett, just that they won’t trade him for less.

125. Ambassador says:

Arrogance: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions. Not an attractive quality for most people. I do appreciate the conciliatory tone from some of us. Generally though, it’s hard to support a know-it-all.

126. RDPoulsbo says:

3 teams still I’m talks with the Hawks for Flynn and the opening bid is a 4th. JS/PC still have plenty of time to let those GMs sit and sweat on their hot seats.

We know these sources aren’t from the Seahawks organization because they don’t leak. Likely it’s one of the other involved teams trying to lowball and get of a warming up hot seat that will be scorching on draft day. They have every reason to not want this to stretch into the draft, so of course they’d want the deal before the draft. Seattle’s the only team involved that can afford to wait it out until then.

Yep…still predicting a 3rd for him. And it’s not the cap room I care about. It’s the draft pick that could land a solid young guy to contribute on the field every week toward winning. A late round QB project and a very on a 1 year contract to back up Wilson is fine with me.

127. seahawksteven777 says:

I’ve no problem with yankinta but I do wish that he not talk down to others like he’s the only knowledgeable one on here. It’s great you think Flynn will fetch a 3rd rounder. I really hope that you are right. However, I’m thinking maybe a 5th-6th rounder is more realistic given his current market.

128. Why not be like NE and not trade him for anything less than a 2nd rounder (or 1st)? We have enough cap room to extend some players and still pay for the draftees (even though they may not make the team).

129. RDPoulsbo, you said it best. Completely agree with you.

I am still hoping for 2014 picks rather than this year since we already have a ton of picks this year and not a lot of roster room for rookies.

I dare to wish that we get 2nd and 4th rd picks in 2014 for Flynn. :)

130. seahawksteven777, I never throw the first punch.

3 Teams with no starting QB asking for Matt Flynn to be their Starter, what do you mean there’s no market for Flynn?? I don’t get your logic.

You don’t have to worrying about getting low round picks for Flynn. JS already said he won’t trade him unless the value was worth while. :)

131. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

yanknita, it isn’t to prove whether you were right or wrong but to prove if you were lying. if your integrity means so little to you then i will bet you have none.

audible, i will be in seattle first of may if you would like you round up anyone that would like me to repeat something to their face and i will comply . don’t assume that myself or someone else wouldn’t do it.

132. Audible–One persons “dead horse, beaten” is anothers interesting topic spiritedly debated.

The term Troll as applied to internet blogs is probably not in Websters. But I would say that condescending attitudes manifested in comments (which you yourself have been guilty of), personal attacks, and statements of intellectual superiority are in fact excellent examples of trollishness.

If it looks like one, acts like one, talks like one, smells like one…then it must be one.

Hashing and rehashing all things Hawks is what a blog is for.

You obviously are ascribing personality traits to certain commenters with a rather broad brush. Be careful not get that tar on yourself, its sticky. We all should take that advice, including little old me, who has never once been guilty of trollish behavior. (…And then I woke up…but at least I try to moderate my freakouts).

133. Audible–And I would really like to know what comments youre referencing regarding things said negatively about our teams players coaches etc, and some commenters not being “man enough” to say it to their face. Care to cite examples? Its somewhat passive aggressive to imply disgust at comments, then make your reference vague…

If certain comments really bother you that much, how about citing them and responding with your counter-opinion? When you do that, your intelligence and passion for football shine through, and even when I disagree with your opinion, I enjoy reading your comments.

Personally, I was ready to choke Carrol and Bevell last year, until the last quarter of the Bears game. I was ready to whup their asses during the Miami game for sure. And I was thoroughly disgusted with Bevell during the first half of the ATL playoff game. Not to mention the times I was ready to see Bradley leave for greener pastures, whic he did…

And they all deserved it. Yet they pulled it together and overall had a very nice season. And I know we’ll miss Bradley and Im glad we kept Bevell. But one cannot help wonder what might have been had they not kept the offense hog-tied early in the season, and during the Miami game; had they not played off-zone so much vs Detroit and MIami. Because had they beaten Miami and/or Detroit–too games that shouldnt have even been close–we would have had homefield advantage and likely a shot at a title.

And yeah, many of Bevell’s playcalls sucked, esp early in the season. I called some of his red-zone plays just by formation and down and distance BEFORE the snap; and I never played past HS. I called the idiotic FB draw in ATL game too. You think MAYBE the defense figured it out if I could?!

I for one would be glad to sit down and absolutely grill Bevell and Carrol about some of their decisions this year. Am I glad they are back? Bet your butt!

Remember too Fan is short for Fanatic. We’re all supposed to be a little crazy.

134. I think everyone feels that if the right offer comes along they will trade Flynn or anyone else for the that matter.

They just haven’t got the value they want.

I am still interested to see what they do at LB. I think it is one of the easier positions to fill in the draft but as I have stated earlier I liked Toomer last training camp but he needed a little more time. Hopefully the year on the PS has given him the experience to be ready to go this year and at the least – push whoever they draft and the returners for the position.

135. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

well said STTBM, oh that’s right agreeing with you is butt kissing,lol

136. I don’t know how anybody feels about this, but what about trading Flynn and bringing in Seneca Wallace?

137. yankinta says:

xcman, I really like Chase Thomas if we can get him in the 4th or 5th round. What do you think??

138. yankinta says:

KBrooks, Seneca was never an accurate enough Passer. BJ Daniels, in my opinion would be a more of an accurate passer than Seneca.

139. I only kiss The Businessman’s Butt…

140. “Care to cite examples?” No.

I’m not interested in starting S*#@, or dredging up crusty old S*#@ with anyone on here.

My sole objective is to encourage folks to lay off yankinta because he’s far from what I would consider a problem. I would do the same for you, STTBM.

Gang tackling is great for linebackers, but it does not promote open and constructive discussions on blogs.

Seneca seemed to have that look of being stoned.

142. bird_spit says:

yankinta, only complement I can throw your way is that somehow you managed to hijack the blog for a short period of time. Your writing style/ voice reminds me of someone else from years back. It was some wantabe journalist , a fan that had just completed a degree or something.

Anyway, no worries, I like the banter, but I do wish the content would vary from the one subject you seem stuck writing about.

143. Chase Thomas… I have seen this guy’s name come up a few different times here, and i have to say I am not sure what it is that people see in him other than his collegiate production which is quite strong.

To me this guy appears to be a lesser form of K.J. Wright. Not as fast (4.95 in the 40? Ouch!), and not as long in the limbs. I guess he might be good for depth, but his measurables do not seem like the type this regime is looking for.

If we’re drafting more LB’s, which is quite likely, I think I’d like to see guys who are a little more on the freakish side of athleticism. Either that or LB’s with more uniqueness in their skill sets. Given the onus being placed on improving the pass rush, backers who can both pass rush and have the speed to kill are who I would expect to see high on Schnieder’s board.

144. Audible–You could have fooled me. But okay, I will take your word for it. Perhaps Im too sensitive. I just feel if your gonna call people out, they should have the chance of a rebuttal. But perhaps you’re right and that would only stir up too much negativity.

I appreciate it that you would stand up for me. However, I have never told anyone that they should “read and learn” from my comments, implying I had some great insight to impart. When someone does that, they invite derision and scorn, IMO, and get what they ask for.

Im generally one who stands up for the picked-on as well. Ive done it on several blogs, especially when the person being attacked is someone whom I disagreed with. I too believe most if not all opinions are welcome, and that a blog is supposed to be a free exchange of ideas without too much censoring. However, some opinions do not deserve the chance to be spouted, and I will not support those. Racist, sexist, homophobic, demeaning, and violent opinions do not get support from me, for instance. Neither will personal attacks or statements of superiority.

And every so often a commenter crosses the line too far, or too often, and gets pummeled. As long as the responses dont get too personal, Im not going to join in one way or another.

145. Audible – I know full well that I’m a reference to you and that’s fine. I know I got out of hand some months ago a few times since I was going through a really crappy cycle of life and this was kind of an escape and, in case you missed it, I did offer apologies for getting out of hand more than I would have liked. If you’re having a hard time letting this go towards me, that’s fine, and all I can offer you is my apologies.

146. Anyone else remember nighthawk? That guy hated this regime and the Wilson pick.

147. yankinta says:

Sekolah, you made very good points about drafting LBs.

But you forgot one aspect which made Clay Matthews GREAT!!!. It’s the Relentless Drive and how hard of a worker he is. Maybe I’m wrong but I see the same in Chase Thomas.

As I mentioned Previously, I watched all of Luck’s game and wasn’t that impressed. of course while watching those Stanford games, I noticed 2 Defense players with that RELENTLESS drives. Chase Thomas and Trent Murphy.

Not sure if you remember but Clay Matthews draft stock dropped because of his combine numbers and measurables. But GreenBay got a STEAL when the traded up in the late 1st round to get him.

“Gang tackling is great for linebackers, but it does not promote open and constructive discussions on blogs”

So true, however when one presents himself like- “I hope that you kids are learning something.”

or
    “Watch and learn instead of kissing butt. I’m sure your mother taught you more than kissing butt.”
    or
    “Here comes another butt kisser”
    or
    “I have been sooo ON in my assessment so far ,especially the past two years… And I always back my assessment with factual reasoning/history lessons.”

Audible I don’t like seeing people being run off this blog either, however don’t you agree that if someone makes these comments over and over again they would be drawing some kind of criticism towards themselfs? Especially if they can’t back up what they said in the past two years?

How hard would it be for Yankita to show us factual reasoning/history lessons simply by going into the archives to prove what he says is true?

149. yankinta says:

GeorgiaHawk, lol, I think you’re thinking too much about me. I’m flattered. :)

any comments on my last post about drafting LBs??

And BobbyK has done a great job of late, ( that’s not kissing ass Yankita. That’s a compliment.) He didn’t take the bait today. Props to you BobbyK.

151. Bobbyk–Many of us have gotten out of line on the blog from time to time, for personal or other reasons. At least you are big enough to admit it and apologize. And I saw your apologies and I applaud you for them. I have also had to apologize for crossing the line and/or being utterly wrong-headed, so I am not without fault myself, as I have said.

I loved reading nighthawk, but he would occasionally go off the rails completely and start mixing football with isms and that was a bit much. (it was so weird I kinda liked it). He got to be pretty angry at PC and was down on Wilson. I hope wherever he is he’s changed his mind and is enjoying Seattle’s success. It would be a shame to waste this opportunity.

I mean, people are bitching because we’re ranked #5 on Offseason Power Polls. Yeah, thats right; we’re ranked about fifth, and fans are screaming because they feel were better than that. I remember Carrols first year (to say nothing of the complete talent dump Ruskell pulled off in four years) where we all would have been ecstatic to just look like an NFL team for four quarters most games, instead of being blown out and looking pathetic. Now we’re all thinking SB victory or bust…

yankinta – If you could come up with the facts from your 2 year history I would be flattered too.

153. yankinta says:

lol, nah, I don’t care about proving myself. I just wanna talk intelligent football talk. I’m waiting for reply back from Sekolah on drafting LBs….

Nah, because you can’t prove yourself. The real deal is not very real!

155. bbnate420 says:

Seneca’s too short. No midget QBs.

No thanks to Chase Thomas. He doesn’t look like a good WLB to me. Coverage isn’t his strong suit. I’d like to have someone like Sio Moore or Khaseem Greene if they take one in the 2nd or a Zaviar Gooden or Sean Porter if they take one in the 3rd. I’d rather go for Corey Lemonier if they’re going for more of a rush WLB.

Clay Matthews was far superior to Chase Thomas in the combine testing, for what it’s worth. A knock on Matthews was that he only started one year in college and was overshadowed by Maualuga and Cushing. He was a riser. Matthews ran a 4.67 40, did 23 reps, 35.5 vert, 121 broad, 6.9 sec 3 cone, and 4.18 20 yard shuttle.

156. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

lmao yankinta , figured as much. so are you from Nigeria?curious why you would use the name?
    at any rate i don’t see the hawks trading up to get a linebacker. no point they have shown over and over again that they can draft late for them. would it surprise me if they did, yes because i don’t think there will be one that they covet that much. i believe they can get a serviceable linebacker in the 4-5 range. in all honesty i think they like who they got now and will draft for possible upgrade. remember avril may well play LB on some sets.
    i think they will go DL/OL in early rounds unless again someone falls they covet, because let’s face it in the end nothing is dire at this point.

157. bbnate420 says:

BTW, all of those numbers were better than what Chase Thomas put up. Every one.

158. bbnate420 says:

hawkfaninoklahoma, yankster has a sweet investment opportunity for you. He just needs a loan until he frees up his inheritance. Ha.

159. yankinta says:

lol, I never said to draft Chase Thomas with 1st or 2nd round pick. You should really read what I wrote. I only said, I liked his Relentlessness and to draft him in the 4th or 5th round pick. Of course, I’m not comparing him to Clay. Clay was a 1st round pick. smh…

160. yankinta says:

That’s it for me today. The teacher is getting a headache. You kids keep watching and continue learning…. :)

161. BobbyK,

Look dude…as I said before, I like you and respect the body of work you have accumulated here over the past decade.

I’m on this blog at least three times per day 365 days per year…and I have benefited greatly from your contributions.

On many occasions, I’ve acknowledged that you’re one of a handful of contributors here who provide an identity that makes this blog interesting and fun.

And, as such, like it or not, at least in my mind, I hold you to a higher standard. I also think that you being a school teacher, a father, and a middle-aged man raises the bar more.

Many years ago I worked extremely hard to earn a master’s in education and then had to leave teaching to earn enough money to support my three kids.

However, I am still very idealistic about teaching and about kids in general…and most of the Seahawks are kids and young enough to be my own children. See where I’m going with this…

I don’t appreciate hearing nasty, personal comments from you or anyone about a player’s potential or lack thereof. Almost without exception, they’re are giving everything that have…and sacrificing their bodies for our entertainment.

I also don’t like labeling people as “trolls”, and especially ones who clearly are not. By definition, the 49ers fans who occasionally jump onboard to stir up s**$ are trolls.

I think we all need to remember that some of the so called trolls on here are friggin’ teeenagers or in their early 20s…young enough or nearly so to be our kids.

I think we should all remember that, and especially us old guys, when we’re tempted to tell someone to piss off.

So, if anything will trigger me going from passive-aggressive to in- your-face-aggressive…it’s that type of scenario.

Yet, I still try to separate behavior I don’t like from the person who’s doing it because we call make mistakes and can all change.

So, we all need to try to be nice, be optimistic, be kind…and bring those qualities with us when we post here.

And, try not to let the constant stream of BS on here drag us down There have been times I’ve wanted to shower after visiting this blog.

I’ve seen posters change over the years in both directions…some troll-like guys have gone legit…others who used to be solid contributors have grown nasty, impatient, and negative.

We need to remember…the players on this team are real people..and so are the authors of each one of the posts we read every day.

162. seahawkNJ says:

I’ve been following this blog for probably 10 years now. Don’t post too often since most of you guys are closer to Seattle and know more about the game and team than me. I can say that for a while BobbyK basically kept it up by himself – sometimes discussing/arguing with himself…lol. The yankster has some pretty good points as everyone seems to agree. Everyone is also in agreement that he should tone down the holier than thou attitude.

Back to football…Am I the only one who likes Vince Young as a backup?

163. bbnate420 says:

yankster, you did compare him to Matthews in a way. Read your own post. You said Matthews fell because he tested badly at the combine and you were saying the same about Thomas. Simply not true. See how I refuted that with facts as I know how you love them. And I never said that you said to draft him in the 1st or 2nd. I wouldn’t want him in the 4th or 5th. I don’t see him as a fit here. If he drops into the 7th then sure.

“That’s it for me today. The teacher is getting a headache. You kids keep watching and continue learning”

The teacher is getting a headache because he/she can’t cover up his/hers lies.

What a joke! Lol.

Yes seahawkNJ you are the only one.

166. Yank,

I hear you on the motor, and the relentlessness that Thomas plays with, but at the time present it just seems like we have enough of those types already. Because of where this roster currently is, they can take a few more risks on players (especially at backer) who on the surface may not seem as NFL-ready as Thomas does, but offer higher ceiling, bigger payoff.

I have a real strong feeling Pete and John are going to find a demon of a will linebacker in this year’s draft. Not sure who he is yet, all I can say is that I think he’ll be a big topic of discussion come post draft.

167. yankinta says:

No, my whole point about Clay Matthew was to point out how many people don’t consider/value being relentlessness a key factor to being a Great LB….

Maybe I was speaking a different language, since you still don’t seem to get it.

168. Southendzone says:

Holy cow someone replaced my Seahawks blog with a pack of rabid drama queens

I’ll check back tomorrow.

169. yankinta says:

Sekolah, finally you reply…. I almost gave up and went home. lol

170. bbnate420 says:

NJ, you’re probably not the only one. Supposedly he had a really good pro day, not that it is worth much. If VY has his personal stuff together, he’s probably the best of the bunch that’s out there right now. Not that that is a very high compliment. He does fill the requirement of being a QB that can do some of the same things RW can as far as mobility.

171. yankinta says:

Sekolah, I think we can never have enough of those types (High motor + relentlessness),, so I disagree with you.

I also disagree that Chase Thomas doesn’t have a high ceiling, maybe I’m wrong. Plus spending 4th or 5th round pick is a low risk. A low risk, high return.

Funny thing about a blog (imo) is that it is so easy to gain a power that we could never have in real life. A fantasy life so to speak. Is it a curse or a blessing? I don’t know, but it is a big difference from reality imo.

173. bbnate420 says:

yank, I did understand what you wrote. English is my first language and I’m literate. You’re trying to revise history again. You said Matthews fell due to a bad performance at the combine. Flat out wrong. I provided the proof, something you have yet to do. Yes, they are both relentless, but Matthews has the physical tools to go with it. I’m not even saying that he can’t be a decent to good LB. Like I said, I don’t like him for the Hawks. We have Wright and Toomer at SLB. I don’t see Thomas being a competent WLB for us. I’d rather have Malcolm Smith or a different guy from the draft. Get it?

174. SandpointHawk says:

@Southendzone… Let me know when it’s safe to come back…Drama Queens indeed.

175. bbnate420 says:

There’s still the triumvirate of 1st round busts out there ready to be signed to be a backup. Quinn, Leinart, and JaMarcus Russell. Any takers? Hey, if Russell doesn’t work out at QB, he can always backup at nose guard. Ha.

176. Yank,

That’s cool. We can agree to disagree. I see Chase Thomas as a guy who comes NFL ready. This isn’t a kid who’d I would expect to see blowing assignments based on mental mistakes. I think Thomas will assimilate the playbook quickly, and on gameday he’ll have his homework done and he’ll be ready.
    The relentlessness he shows at the collegiate level is just not enough for me to stand with you in opinion of what we can expect from him at the next level. While his relentlessness lead to him making a pile of plays while at Stanford, at the NFL level, without the other things to go with it (strength, speed, superior instincts, etc.) it doesn’t quite match-up. The pace of the NFL game is just a notch above what Thomas is used to and I honestly question if he has enough of the other traits to factor in as more than just a special teamer who’s playing 2nd or 3rd string.
    Chase Thomas looks like a solid, no-frills sort of prospect to me; a guy who in Pete’s system looks like a good fit as a backup sam LB. He has not the speed or even the get-off that is desired at LEO. He’s just not a sexy player to me. I wouldn’t be real excited if the Seahawks draft him, but I would hold out hope that Thomas is every bit the player that Yank thinks he can be in the NFL.

177. Is this the Seahawks blog or the Soap Channel?

blueshq- Worse!

179. WiscCory says:

I think ya’ll missed the sequence of articles that Eric posted.

1) Hawks trade Flynn for a 5th rounder.

2) Hawks sign Vince Young for less dough, with the idea he’s a better fit to run a “wilson-like” offense.

Why in the world would the Hawks trade Flynn and bring a guy like Kolb? I don’t see that. Also, Mallet for a 1st rounder? On what grounds – being tall? Dan McGuire was tall, too. I don’t see why anyone would trade a 1st rounder on the former Razorback.

180. seahawksteven777 says:

yankinta: “That’s it for me today. The teacher is getting a headache. You kids keep watching and continue learning…”

See, there you go again acting like your head and shoulders above people… Give me a break!

181. Audible – I’m fine with that (held to a higher standard). When I get out of line – call me out in the future. You’re right, as a part-time teacher (and a couple of side things), we do get held to a higher standard many times. That’s part of the reason I like this blog so much – it’s an escape from reality. We’ve had some negative things happen at school and two teen suicides and a close call with a student that I am/was really close to that can help really take the wind out of you (to where you need an escape from reality – and since I’ve never taken drugs, that’s not an option, so I try to hide away with Seahawks football – there’s worse habits to have).

“We got old ones, we got young ones”
    “Chain smokers and boozers”
    “And we got yuppies, we got bikers”
    ” We got thirsty hitchhikers”
    “And the girls next door dress up like movie stars”

“Hmm, hmm, hmm I love this blog”

“We got MT. Mike, we got truckers”
    “Broken-hearted fools and suckers”
    “And we got Pabs, we got fighters”
    “Early birds and all-nighters”
    “And Dukeshire and Chuck talk about their battle scars”

“Hmm, hmm, hmm I love this blog”

“I love this blog”
    “It’s my kind of place”
    “Just start talking through your you know what”
    “Until it Puts a big smile on your face”
    “It ain’t too far, come as you are”
    “Hmm, hmm, hmm I love this blog”

“We have Stevos, we got BobbyK”
    ” bbnate and STTBM”
    ” And we got Aubible, and Yankita”
    “And Sluggo is ready there to meet ya.”
    “And we like to drink our beer from a mason jar”

“Hmm, hmm, hmm I love this blog”

183. I still think we’ll get a 2nd or 3rd-rounder for Flynn…and here’s why:

There are at least three coaches and three GMs who know they’re sitting on a ticking time bomb that is their jobs.

The Raiders, Jags, and Bills…tic, tic, tic…

They need to find a QB ASAP but are faced with a number of problems!

Nobody wants to play on teams located in the arm pits of America (tic, toc)…

Nobody wants to play for perennial losers(tic, toc)…

Therefore, nobody wants to play for Oakland (tic), Buffalo (tic), or Jax (tic).

This is why they didn’t sign any of the FA QBs that went to other teams. It’s not for lack of trying.

Now the only players available are Quinn (tic), Leinert (tic), J. Russell (tic toc), and who else? Likely Kolb (tic, toc, Whisen Who?!)

“Hmmmm, but hey at leaat the draft is next month!”

“Oh damnation! Looks like this QB class is the weakest in years :(tic, tic, tic ):…

Now, this is where it gets interesting…

“Maybe we can trade for a back-up who has already been groomed to start”…”how about Mallett for a 1st rounder?” Tic, tic, tic….

“Wow, now I get it! THIS is what Mrs. Buttercraft was talking about in social studies. Supply and demand is a real bit*#& just like she was…” Tic, tic, tic…

“Hey, how about that guy from Flint Michigan? (tic)…

“You mean Flynn from Green Bay?” (toc)…

“He’s a Seattle Malamute or something now” (tic)

“Is that at minor league team? (toc).”

“Don’t they wear lingerie?” (tic)

“No, he’s the one that got beat by that rookie from the Levis’s commercial. I saw a thing on ESPN.” (toc)

“No, no no…it says on Wikipedia that he through for 1000 yards and 11 touchdowns in two games as a back-up in to Rodgers” (tic, tic, tic)…

“We’re half the team, but if he could do half that well here, that would be twice as good as what we have now!” (tic)…

“What if this turns into a Kolb? Look how much he cost and how that turned out for Fingerhut!” (toc)…

“We have nothing to lose…” (toc)…

“BUT OUR FRIGGIN’ JOBS!” (tic)…

“Hey did you hear that?” (tic, toc)…

“Sounds like ticking” (ticking)…

“We gotta do something or we won’t be here next year anyway”.

“Those small market guys don’t know what they’re doing, so Offer them a 2nd rounder and maybe they’ll go for it!”

“Hello, Mr. Shrader? Hi! We’re wondering if you’d be open to trading that Flynt guy”?”

And, the rest is history!

184. Sean Porter – Texas A&M – OLB… now there is a name that truly intrigues me. Yank has me all fired up to talk LB’s now, and I’m really not that interested in talking about Wilson’s backup.

I think Porter is just close enough in our range to get in either round 2 or 3. He is a definite candidate as a will backer, with strong instincts for blitzing. If I’m Malcom Smith I’m worried about this guy if the Seahawks draft him. That would be a heated battle come camp.

Jamie Collins – Sothern Miss – DE/OLB: We would need to use our 2nd round pick (at least), and then probably move up several notches to secure this dude. Unfortunately he will probably go to some team drafting in the latter stages of the 1st round. He’s more of a LEO, but could play sam LB too. With Avril in the mix, it seems unlikely we’d draft him, but this team is in a BPA sort of focus, so if he’s actually there whenever Seattle picks… wow.

185. Not sure if this has been addressed, but are there any quarterbacks in the CFL that might fit the backup role? Considering the success with Brandon Browner, it is not unreasonable that the front office might look north for help. The CFL, as well, has a fairly dynamic style due to the differences in the rules for offenses. I do not pay close enough attention to the CFL to know if there is a good candidate.

186. “It’s all the same, only the names will change
    Everyday it seems the blog is wasting away
    Another place where the arguments are so cold
    I’d read all night just sitting at home

I’m a Seahawks fan, on the horse of hope I ride
    I’m wanted a Super Bowl win when I’m alive
    Wanted a win – when I’m alive

Sometimes I sleep, sometimes it’s not for days
    And the fans I blog always go their separate ways
    Sometimes you tell the day
    By the Matt Flynn trade rumor that you drink
    And times when you’re alone all you do is think

I’m a Seahawks fan, on the horse of hope I ride
    I’m wanted a Super Bowl win when I’m alive
    Wanted a win – when I’m alive

Now I walk these streets, no Super ring on Hasselbeck or Wilson’s hand
    Still playin’ for keeps, ‘same old me same old fanatical fan,
    I been everywhere, and I’m standing tall
    I’ve seen a million games, and I’ve wanted the Hawks to win them all.

I’m a Seahawks fan, on the horse of hope I ride
    I’m wanted a Super Bowl win when I’m alive
    Wanted a win – when I’m alive”

Lol BobbyK.

Bon jovi “dead or alive.”

My girlfriends favorite band.

189. Mine too, followed by the Eagles and then the Beatles.

I put the Beatles #1 followed by the Eagles # 2. Anyways great music!

191. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

now see audible that is a very pleasant almost funny way to put it. yankinta could take lessons, supply and demand works great as i said all along.
    oakland does not need flynn they are 2 years away from needing a qb. if they need one it means they cut palmer which means they have 42 million in dead cap this season. in all honesty they should cut palmer and draft number 1 next year. running with whoever they can pick up cheap. flynn makes them no better and they will be drafting top 1-3 again next year anyway.

buffalo has Tjack although not great i have not seen enough from flynn to say he is a huge upgrade. bills will be running a ball control offense with spiller pounding the rock Tjack can handle that in my estimation. so again if you are the bills why trade a 2-3 when you can draft a guy you like in the 2-3 and groom him to be your guy? the flip side to that is do the bills think they are a QB away from contending? hardly at least if they are honest.

jags are semi rebuilding and a couple 3 years from seriously contending. they aren’t very good and are going to get a complete change in system defensively and offensively. so again do you think flynn in 2 years is the next kurt warner come to lead you to the promised land? i doubt it besides if smith is there at 3 is he not a better option than flynn? now the coach knows flynn maybe he sees flynn worth it for say a 4th or 5th draft smith at 3 and let him develop behind flynn. lol then come august smith beats flynn to start.
    could flynn be a great QB? maybe/maybe not. would i be willing to trade a high pick on him, no way not for these teams.

supply maybe low for a quality starting QB, hold it is flynn a quality starting QB? no one knows.

demand as i stated in not that high, as i stated i have a friend in the raiders organization who says they would love to have flynn for a 4th or 5th maybe. at this point they are still trying to figure out which way to go.
    42 million in dead cap space if they cut palmer, again gotta love Al Davis. granted if they trade palmer for flynn they actually would save 2 million in cap but give up a pick.

192. I don’t know why they aren’t bringing Leroy Hill back, he’s very good at stopping the run without missing tackles which is needed on the weak side.

About accuracy, you have to want more than that. You have to want the QB to have the ability to make lemonade out of a lemon of a broken play. Among SEA’s players who’ve thrown the ball in ’12, PFF says that Golden Tate is most accurate. He threw one pass which was caught for 100% accuracy. SEA’s next most accurate passer was Matt Flynn with 77.8% accuracy. Then came RW with 77.1% accuracy. Sidney Rice and Ryan Mallett had 50% accuracy.

In ’11, Sidney Rice had 100% accuracy with his one throw, Matt Flynn had 83% accuracy for GB with his 49 throws, TJax had 72.2% accuracy for SEA, C.Whitehurst and Vince Young had 66.7% accuracy, Seneca Wallace had 63.9% accuracy and M.Lynch had 0% accuracy with his 2 throws.

In ’10, Michael Robinson had 100% accuracy with his one throw, Seneca Wallace had 73.9% accuracy for Cleveland, Matt Flynn had 73.8% accuracy for GB, Vince Young had 69.4% accuracy for TEN, Matt Hasselbeck had 69.3% accuracy for SEA, TJax had 67.3% accuracy for MIN, CW had 67% accuracy for SEA, and Leon Washington missed his one throw for 0% accuracy.

In ’09, TJax had 80% accuracy for MIN with his 21 throws, Seneca Wallace had 73.0% accuracy for SEA, Matt Hasselbeck 70.8% accuracy for SEA, Matt Flynn had 66.7% accuracy for GB (12 throws), Vince Young 66.5% accuracy for TEN, and Sidney Rice missed his one throw for MIN.

In ’08, V.Young had 77.1% accuracy, S.Wallace had 70.4% accuracy, Charlie Frye had 66.7% accuracy, Matt Hasselbeck had 62.1% accuracy and Sidney Rice missed his only throw for MIN.

193. Yakinta – on Chase, I don’t see it because I believe they value speed VERY highly, (based on the fact that Pete has said that repeatedly). I to agree he may be a good player in the NFL. but I feel that he will have to be faster to fit into what they want LB’s to do here in this scheme.

Would it surprise me if they took him later in the draft – NOPE. I just don’t think it will happen.

Tim Ruskell used to draft for Motor/drive/determination a lot. None of those guys were good enough overall players to hang around. it needs to be matched with the ability to keep up at the NFL level.

194. Screensmoke says:

Yakinta – let’s chat linebackers with old Irish

195. bbnate420 says:

Audible, you make some good points, but there are some holes in your hypothesis. Reggie McKenzie and Dennis Allen have only been at their jobs in Oak for a little over a year. I don’t think they’re on the hot seat yet, but it is the Raiders. If Al Davis was still alive, I would have no doubt that they would be on the hot seat and that they’d trade their 1st, #3 overall, for Flynn. His son hasn’t yet proved to be quite the moron that Old Al was in his senility. The Raiders don’t have a 2nd or 5th round pick, to go with their 42 mil in dead cap space. So they’d have to part with a 3rd or 4th if they want Flynn and the Hawks are set on a 2013 pick.

With regards to the Jaguars, GM David Caldwell and coach Bradley were just hired this past January. Where’s the hot seat?

With the Bills, they just hired a new coach this year as well. You are right that GM Buddy Nix could certainly be on the hot seat. He’s been the GM since December 31, 2009. He also signed Ryan Fitzpatrick to that bad deal.

So, at least your hot seat hypothesis doesn’t really hold water to me. Respectfully. I don’t want to be either a butt kisser or a secret troll. ;-)

196. bbnate420 says:

BobbyK, if you drink alcohol, then you’ve taken drugs. Just sayin’.

197. yankinta says:

Sekolah, do you agree that Stanford has one the best defenses in college the past 2 years (factoring in quality of opponents)? Who are the leaders/difference makers on that team? Can you name them, other than Chase Thomas?? This is why I think he’ll do well in NFL. I seriously doubt we’d spend a 2nd or 3rd pick for a SAM LB.

xcman, I agree with you but combine numbers don’t always translate to speed on gameday. I think he plays a lot faster on film than his combine numbers. Maybe he’ll improve that 40 time on their Pro day, but I hope not,,, so that he’ll be there for us in 4th or 5th round.

bbnate420, all I saying is, why was Aron Curry drafted 4th overall by us when Clay was drafted 26th?? Because he wasn’t as fast as Aron Curry nor he had the measurable, as Aron Curry. Maybe you have another theory for that. Of course Clay combine numbers are better than Chase, afterall Clay was a first round pick and Chase will be a day 3 pick. Hopefully, we’re communicating now. :)

198. yankinta says:

xcman, I’ll give you another example, Percy Harvin combine 40 time was 4.45. yet we’ve seen him blow by CB and Safeties that can run 4.4. He was asked how fast he was and he said he can do a 4.3 flat. I think his game film confirms it.

199. bbnate420 says:

yankster, I think Curry was drafted much higher because he was a 3 year starter at his school and was productive every year. Matthews didn’t start until his senior year. That is a big minus to certain talent evaluators. Certainly was to the moron Numbskull. Matthews and Curry’s combine numbers aren’t very different. Curry did better in some drills, and Matthews did better in some drills. There certainly wasn’t a large gap.

Curry: 4.56 sec 40, 25 reps, 37 inch vert, 124 inch broad, 7.15 sec 3 cone drill, and 4.51 sec 20 yard shuttle.

Matthews: 4.67 sec 40, 23 reps, 35.5 inch vert, 121 inch broad, 6.9 sec 3 cone drill, and 4.18 sec 20 yard shuttle.

The 3 cone drill and 20 yard shuttle are better indicators of a guy with the potential to be a good LB and Matthews did significantly better in both.

200. bbnate420 says:

Harvin’s combine time was 4.41 actually but, you are right that 40 time doesn’t automatically correlate to game speed. Straight line speed isn’t one of the most important things anyways a lot of the time. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6.

201. yankinta says:

bbnate420, I also meant the physical measurables too. I’m pretty sure Curry looks like a beast in shorts.

again, Tim Ruskell will always be the fool that picked him with 4th overall.