Morning links: Kudos for Hawks’ moves in free agency

Post by Eric Williams on March 17, 2013 at 8:39 am with 92 Comments »
March 17, 2013 8:39 am
Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, left, Percy Harvin and general manager John Schneider address a news conference at the team's headquarters Tuesday, March 12, 2013, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, left, Percy Harvin and general manager John Schneider address a news conference at the team’s headquarters Tuesday, March 12, 2013, in Renton, Wash. The Seahawks completed their trade with Minnesota to acquire the wide receiver in exchange for a trio of draft picks. Seattle announced the finalization of the trade on Tuesday afternoon once the NFL’s league year began. The 24-year-old Harvin will give second-year quarterback Russell Wilson a dynamic playmaker not yet at his peak and reunite him with former teammate Sidney Rice and former offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

Dan Pompei of The National Football Post declares the Seahawks as one of the winners in free agency. Pompei: “With the trade acquisition of Percy Harvin and the free agent pickup of Cliff Avril, the argument can be made that John Schneider added the most dynamic offensive player and the most dynamic defensive player who switched teams this offseason. Avril and former Buc Michael Bennett, in conjunction with second year man Bruce Irvin, will make the Seahawks’ pass rush considerably better on nickel with Bennett presumably shifting inside. The Seahawks should be a significantly improved team in 2013.”

Chris Burke of Sports Illustrated also gives Seattle the award for best contracts negotiated during free agency, signing defensive end Cliff Avril to a two-year, $15 million deal, and Michael Bennett to a one-year, $5 million deal. Burke: “Was every other team asleep at the wheel here? Avril, arguably the premier free agent available this year, at $7.5 million per season was one thing. But Bennett on a deal that looks befitting a player trying to prove himself after injury? The Seahawks obviously do not have an endless supply of available money under the cap, but consider the contracts of some of their most important players: Russell Wilson (cap hit of $681,000 in 2013), Bobby Wagner ($979K) and Richard Sherman ($601K), for example (all numbers courtesy overthecap.com). Those deals allow them to go after short-term solutions like the two pass rushers in a win-now attempt. Eventually, Seattle will have to pay up to keep those players. But Avril and Bennett will be off the books by the end of 2014.”

Vinnie Iyer of The Sporting News also gives the Hawks kudos for the team’s moves in free agency.

Here’s my story from today. The proactive management of the salary cap allowed them to make game-changing moves in free agency.

ESPN’s John Clayton talked with Seahawks general manager John Schneider about the team’s moves in free agency in this audio link.

Jim Moore of 710 ESPN Seattle writes that after Seattle’s moves in free agency, “crazy good things are possible” for the Seahawks this year.

Danny O’Neil of The Seattle Times also writes that this week’s moves in free agency has fanned the flames of great expectations for the Seahawks in 2013.

Adam Caplan of Fox Sports reports that Seahawks free agent offensive tackle Frank Omiyale is expected to visit Carolina this weekend.

Sally Jenkins and Rick Maese of the Washington Post partner on an in-depth report on the different standards folks in the medical profession use on NFL athletes because of the pressure to get them back on the field. “In a 2002 academic paper, 28 NFL physicians reported administering Toradol every game day, injecting up to 35 players per club. Though NFL doctors say use has declined in recent years, several current and recently retired players said the drug continues to be administered freely — and the NFL Physicians Society felt compelled to issue guidelines on its usage last season. “It is not a legitimate thing to offer a player on a weekly basis without a proper indication,” said Andrew Bishop, an orthopedist who for 11 years was the Atlanta Falcons’ team physician.”

You can check out West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith’s Pro Day workout in the video below.

Morning links

For those unfamiliar with Toradol, a little info…

2. Could free agency (and I know Harvin wasn’t “free”) have worked out any better up to this point? I don’t think so.

3. hawkfan777 says:

Noticed this site has a 20 page limit before charging to view their articles. Disapointing…. Just logged on with a different IP address to type this. I guess I need to find a different place to get my football fix.

4. bbnate420 says:

There’s no limit on this, M’s and Huskies blogs.

5. “Could free agency (and I know Harvin wasn’t “free”) have worked out any better up to this point? I don’t think so.”

I know, agreed. Can’t think of a better off-season (excluding the draft) since I’ve been following the team. Three impact guys, all right in the prime of their career. Remarkable.

6. Nice article by the Big E this morning:
    “proactive management of the salary cap allowed them to make game-changing moves in free agency.”

I remember comments here last year from people frustrated about why Schneider was spending so little and leaving so much room under the cap. This year answers those questions!

7. So now that Seattle has filled much of the needs for the team where do they go with their first pick and the rest of the draft? I still think they will focus on the DL like a DT or a DE that will sit behind Avril and Bennett but they could also go LB because they need some backup in case someone goes down with an injury.

8. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

stevos, i think the hardest part for us armchair GM’s is the fact we don’t know their vision for the team. saying that i think there lack of activity last year was based on the lack of ideal players for their vision. this year the picture of what they want is becoming more clear. i like what they have done and can’t wait to see how this plays out on the field.
    Phycman, i think they definitely go BPA or trade up in second to get want they want.
    i see the needs at this point as OG/RT,DT,debth

9. raymaines says:

Thee are still needs to be met. A second tight end, O-Line depth, a big interior D-Lineman, two linebackers, a third corner, and another safety come to mind. Some of the answers are already on the roster and the draft will add a few more.

10. I think we’ll almost certainly see draft day maneuvering this year.

We have 8 picks and trade bait.

Flynn and Baldwin would make a nice package because they already know each other. The question is can we get a 1st or 2nd for them.

This draft is about quality, not quantity because most late rounders wouldn’t make the team.

Unless they see another steal like Sherman, we’ll combine picks and move up to draft in this order:

Linebacker (possibly 2)
    Tall, physical WR
    Pass-catching TE
    OT
    OG

11. Two years ago they spent like crazy (Rice and Miller were big-time financial signings and Gallery was just wasting a bunch of dough). They have made big moves two of the last three years. When they want something, they go after it. With the Brandon Marshall flirtation, we shouldn’t be surprised when they do something big — yet they are impressive in the restraint they have shown, too. Very impressive regime – clearly led by Mr. Happy.

12. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

audible, you forgot DT. i see WLB as a 4-5 pick. don’t see receiver of any kind early unless a very good one drops. i believe mc coy is a good # 2 TE at least worth another year. i still think OT/OG is one of the most pressing needs now besides DT.

after all that thou it would be interesting to see who the coaching staff believes in . i am sure they are high on a couple of guys that would suprise.

13. Singularitarian says:

I kind of liked the old days where everbody trashed on Seattle’s moves no matter what

14. Darren Fells could be an ace in the hole at TE, although I think he’s going to need a year inactive on Sundays to get acclimated to the NFL.

The way this team is situated right now, I really don’t care who or what they pick in 2nd round. They could go Will, DT, NT (Mebane insurance), TE, RT, or WR and I wouldn’t care. I’ll be happy.

15. trout_hound says:

Rumors flying about Doug Baldwin possibly getting traded to the Colts. Say it aint so! No way we should unload him for a day 3 draft pick.

16. banosser says:

DT OLB OL BPA………….

17. Psychman says:

With Baldwin we have 4 solid WR as long as they don’t get hurt, two of them are built like china dolls (Rice and Harvin). I think the most pressing needs are on D, especially if they don’t re-sign Branch. I think they will start drafting for the future and pick guys they think they can groom for a couple years. LB is a need because of the lack of depth we have and a nickle corner but we do have Lane and Maxwell who could play there. Lane played there last year when Trufant wasn’t in and the year before when Trufant was hurt. I think we could also go OL but we have seen what Cable can do with mediocre players there. I think they can draft for depth and grooming on the OL too. Isn’t it awesome to say our team is good enough that they can probably start drafting for depth and grooming? I am excited for this year boys!!

I too like Lane as a potential nickel corner. He ought to get plenty of time this summer.

Regarding Branch however, for me, he’s the most overvalued (in terms of actual play) player up for FA. If Seattle can get him back cheaply, fine. But if he signs elsewhere I won’t lose a moments sleep. IMO, Scruggs can fill his role capably and has a higher ceiling, at a much reduced price.

19. re: the offseason plan and philosophy… here’s some stuff to chew on

GM John Schneider interviewed by John Clayton yesterday:

John Schneider on signing Harvin, Avril, and Bennett:
    “These weren’t deals we saw coming or that we planned for the offseason. We didn’t see ourselves being big free agency guys. The way we try to do business is to stay involved with as many deals as we can, and if it fall our our we’ll do it. We were involved in several deals that didn’t go our way. Bennet and Avril were obviously guys we had highly rated and they just happened to fall our way. Year to year, probably 90-95% of the deals we’re involved in we walk away from.”

On Percy Harvin:
    “John Idzik has been our salary cap expert for several years here. When we hire Matt Thomas from Cleveland, and one of the first things we did was sit down and map out our 3-year model of our salary cap and cash situation. We knew what parameters we had to work within and what players were coming up. We were not involved in the free agency receiver group at all, but our pro personnel staff did a great job of monitoring the situation in Minnesota and identified him as a tradable player at the end of the season.

He is such a unique player. This is a player you have to try to fit in in any manner necessary. He is a game-changer in all facets and had the most all-purpose yards over his first several years since Terry Metcalf. This is a big deal for us, especially as as KR, RB, slot receiver, X receiver, Z receiver, move him around… Darrell Bevell was with Brett and Percy in MN when they started moving him around and doing different things with him. Its exciting to have him here.

On all the offensive players now assembled:

This is something Pete and I began to talk about when we first got together. We were going to be as competitive as possible in anything we do: in the weight room, on the field, video department, scouting department, coaching department, to be as competitive as possible.”

On Cliff Avril:
    We had him very highly rated. We didn’t see him coming. We thought other teams with cap room would be able to acquire Cliff. He had very strong interest in becoming a Seahawk. During that first 3-day period of free agency, they stayed in touch with us and we are able to work out a shorter-term deal that was good for both sides. We got somebody who is able to play the Leo position and Sam linebacker for us.”

On Michael Bennett:
    “Always been a big fan of Michael. When he left Seattle before I was in Green Bay and we tried to get him, but Tampa Bay was able to sign him. He’s an Inside pass rusher who can get off the ball and he can play outside as well. 9 sacks last year and 16 tackles for loss. He’s an impressive guy who can get up the field and disrupt the quarterback or at least get him off the spot.”

Any More Free Agents to Come?
    “At this point we are going to focus on our own players. There are a couple of guys we would like to get extensions with. There are a couple phases of free agency. But right now we would like to take care of a couple of younger guys we’ve drafted.”

“Any time you can put more pressure on the quarterback, the back four like it. I think the defensive backs are pretty excited right now and they’ve been texting me to say so.”

20. SandpointHawk says:

Hope you are right about Scruggs because that is our big hole right now. Branch is underwhelming but he does fill that hole. Would also love a stud to replace Hill. That said I think our O-Line will be OK depending on proposed rule changes. I have faith in Carp and I think if Moffitt gets serious he will be fine. If not we always have the Sweez. Expect them to pick a late round QB also because that’s what GB always does and that’s where JS learned the game…

21. SandpointHawk says:

Thanks Stevos…

Stevo – Awesome! I’ve wanted to listen to the interview but just haven’t had the time. Avril at Sam?! Wright to Mike and Wagner to Will in that package? If he’s at Sam you got to put him on the line and let him be “Clay Matthews”.

23. SaigonSun says:

My “crystal ball ” is seeing not less than two attempts to move up for total of five drafted. If TE Escobar is still there early in the third we’ll move up to get him. Cable will get his RT in the second. Quinn’s inside knowledge of SEC and ACC will bring us a defensive diamond in the third, or early fourth. I personally hope for the Honeybadger in the fourth (yes, I am positive he is second round material as nickel CB /KR /PR) and finally, I’d spend the next pick on RB Lattimore. (IR him for a year or two till he is 100%, before the miners grab him.

24. I usually don’t sit around transcribing stuff on a Sunday, but I can’t resist chewing on these recent interviews. I know some of you guys might appreciate this…

Pete Carroll on the free agent signings last week:

Mike Salk: My feelings about Pete Carroll have changed drastically since you came here. You have done an incredible job here, it is awe-inspiring. Going back to my Boston roots, I said it would never work when you came here. I was completely wrong, when you came here I thought you would be too soft and you have completely proven me wrong. You have been tough enough on the team, you are great at imposing discipline, the philosophy off the field has been incredible, and the way you built this team… and you found the right quarterback, because that kid is awesome. Its been a pleasure to watch this team and root for them over the past couple of years.”

Carroll: “We feel like we are just getting started. This is a very young football team but they are going to grow up fast, and we need to.”

Brock Huard: What can Percy Harvin do?

Carroll: “What great players do is help the other people play well around them. Percy is a very versatile football player. He is going to complement a terrific receiving crew. Everybody is going to contribute in their own ways and not worry about who is getting it, but how many games we win. Its how we fit these guys together is what will make it happen, not just one guy showing up.”

Mike Salk: “You are always very honest when you answer our questions. No one believes you but you do mean what you say. You told us ‘Matt Flynn is not coming to be our starting quarterback, he’s coming to compete’ and no one believed you. You told us that Russell Wilson was going to get incredibly well-equipped this offseason. Now you have him more well-equipped. Does this signify some change in the philosophy of the offense where you are going to throw the ball more than in the past?”

Carroll: “No. We are going to do exactly what we want to do in continuing to send the message about how physical we are and how we attack the running game and fit off of that. What I’m hoping to do is when we throw it we will gain more yards, we have more spacing. We expect Golden to have a huge year and Doug to have a huge year, and Sidney to fit in together. This is not a change at all. We want to find the unique qualities in any of the guys we have. You’re going to see Harvin in the kicking game. And he doesn’t just catch the football but he runs with ferocity. He’s a very physical and aggressive football player.”

Oh man Stevo, Im so fired up right now. Also, Slak was verbally blowing Carroll there. Lol

Or Salk rather…

27. Yes, great transcript Stevo! Thanks.

“We expect Golden to have a huge year.” -Mr. Happy

I think Wilson is going to have over 1,000 more yards in the air this year and that Tater is going to explode. I’m not saying Pro Bowl explode, but in a weird way, this is almost his third year in that he never practiced football in the spring, nor did he have an off-season when he was locked-out. With only so many receptions to go around for everyone – I’m going to say that Tate is going to have plenty in the way of explosive plays than saying he’s going to have x amount of receptions or yards. With the talent Tate has, combined with the way teams must focus on Harvin, added with all of the extra offensive plays the team is going to have this year since they are going to gain many, many more yards, score more points, etc. I’m so dang looking forward to the season!

Avril at Sam? I wouldn’t put it past Mr. Happy and didn’t see that coming (or potentially coming). Maybe they figure they are going to play with the lead so often that it’ll be okay to be in attack mode most of the time. I can’t wait to see it all play out.

28. On Tater, I’ll say he disappointed me in his first couple of years, but last year every time he plucked a deep pass out of the air he surprised me and he shocked the opponent. I’ll no longer be surprised if Tate and Wilson keep shocking opponents as that “too short quarterback” throws deep strikes to our “too short split end”.

29. Southendzone says:

I hope the Baldwin trade rumor doesn’t come to pass. I think he played great both the last 2 years and is the RW of the WR group in terms of work ethic.

30. Speaking of interviews: when Avril interviewed on KJR, he mentioned how even when they played Seattle that he knew “they had a good thing going”. He pretty much said that he and his agent targeted Seattle as a possible place that they wanted to look into.

It sounded like they contacted Seattle a number of times

31. I love how a blog, much as this, is the source of Trade Rumors! great reporting there SBnation

32. montanamike2 says:

Thanks for all the write ups STEVOS. I hope we don’t trade Baldwin unless it was something again that blows my socks off. The drop off in talent after 4 deep is a wide gap. He also frees up Harvin to do other things when needed. I think Golden is jealous as hell and will use obtaining Harvin as motivation to up his game, i believe he’ll have a monster year, get paid and then hopefully be pals with Harvin, but then again i could be overthinking that whole scenario.

33. Southendzone says:

Reread that rumor on the Baldwin trade, it sounds totally flimsy.

It’s about as credible as if I heard my grandma say “My name is Veronica and it stars with a V and I like the Seahawks so we are going to trade for Victor Cruz”

Great job Indianapolis Star.

34. trout_hound says:

Here’s what Baldwin himself had to say about the trade rumor today: “Heard the rumors today. And after talking to my agent and Seahawks management I highly, highly doubt those rumors were true. I’m a seahawk! Lets keep it that way!”

Hear, hear, Baldwin.

36. I’d like to keep that little guy around, too. He’s first-class.

37. great stuff from Carroll and Schneider. Realizing more and more what a get Schneider was for us.

very cool to hear that Avril, basically the #1 d-lineman free agent this off-season, was contacting us from the start.

38. Seahawks2620 says:

Not reporting anything at all, however if you read Earl Thomas’ twitter over the last hour, it would appear as if he just got a new contract. Could be wrong, but it kind of looks that way just based off of the context.

If anyone deserves a new contract it’s Thomas, imo.

Baldwin isn’t going anywhere. Lol.

40. It’s possible. However, ET signed a 5 year rookie contract (unless it could be voided) and he’s only played 3 seasons. That wouldn’t make sense for the Hawks to sign him to an extension yet.

In other twitter news, it appears that the Mom of Golden Tate fixed him a good dinner that he liked tonight. :)

41. I hate that Colts rumor. “We expect Doug to have a huge year.” I like that better.

42. bird_spit says:

The Washington Post article is a must read by any football fan. Sad truth about football is that injuries happen..I wish the docs would be as ethical as possible. There are plenty of guys who could fill those shoes, so playing injured, to me, makes no sense as a fan. That said, I truly get it when a guy who must play to be paid. That RG3 thing though, deserves scrutiny. That should never happen.

43. Sando just tweeted that the Rams beat the Fish for Jake Long.

44. Singularitarian says:

That writer has no business writing ever again. I will personally disown the seahawks if timmay tebow ever is the backup qb. Good for a chuckle, thanks JZombie

45. 49ers could conceivably finish 3rd in the division next year…

46. WilliamPercival says:

Stevos,

I’m hearing impaired and struggle mightily to hear podcasts or radio. Your transcription was AWESOME. THANKS.

As for the draft. I truly believe we will stick to BPA with every pick regardless of position. The ONLY way we trade is back, and that’s for a coup similar to Alphonso Smith/Earl Thomas…ya dig?

47. SEA is performing well passing and rushing because of their QB and RBs. I wish we had an OL who could run-block as well as SF’s. Watch their highlights. Their RB is nowhere near as good as Marshawn Lynch, but their OL makes up for him. Their QB is nearer to being as good as RW, but still look at their OL’s pass-blocking. It’s significantly better than SEA’s OL. I was upset with Breno’s 12 penalties until I saw that Okung got 14. When he was healthy Big Walt would go seasons without penalties. Hutch too. I want to see improvement on the OL this season. I’d like to see Carp and Moffitt healthy, too.

48. With Jake Long, STL’s OL is probably gonna be better than SEA’s too.

49. bbnate420 says:

I don’t see any point in trading Baldwin, especially if it’s for a 3rd day pick. If they don’t have room to pay him in 2014, they can give him a RFA tender and then attempt to trade him if no ones wants to bite on the tender compensation. They may also keep him going forward. Tate will be an UFA and Rice has a high cap number in future years. You never know what may happen.

I would expect the #56 pick to be a DT or WLB. I could also see it being a OT. Depends on how they have available players graded. I don’t see another TE as a big need. They already have plenty of people to get the ball to. McCoy is an excellent blocker, even if he’s still inconsistent catching the ball. He also makes some big plays in the passing game. I just hope he continues to steadily improve. Fells is a wildcard. I can’t wait to get some minicamp opinions on him. It’s probably unrealistic and not based on anything of significant substance, but I just have a good feeling about him.

50. bbnate420 says:

klm008, Jake Long hasn’t been the same player he was the last couple of years due to injuries. Okung was significantly better than Long in 2012 IMO. I wouldn’t count on the Rams having a better line. The Hawks also have two potential pro bowl players in Carp and Sweezy. One needs to stay healthy and the other needs more time to learn pass pro schemes.

Okung had most of his penalties early in the year. Not sure if he was compensating for being a little hurt and/or he was getting used to a new QB. I can also remember there were at least 3-4 holding penalties that were BS. He’s a pro bowler and going into his 4th year. It’s a little unfair to hold him up next to Big Walt. He’s a first ballot HOF player, if those idiots don’t ef it up anyways.

51. NYHawkFan says:

More kudos from Chris Roling regarding the Hawks free agency moves. Roling calls Seattle the #1 in power ranking each team in the league.

“The Seattle Seahawks were what you could call a team on the rise before this offseason, and then, the team swung the trade for Percy Harvin.

Seattle didn’t stop there.

The Seahawks landed the No. 7 overall 4-3 defensive end in the NFL a year ago (per Pro Football Focus) in Michael Bennett. It also managed to scoop up elite pass-rusher Cliff Avril on a cheap deal. So much for the injury to Chris Clemons, last year’s starting defensive end, meaning anything at all.

Seattle is now in a position to contend for a Super Bowl, thanks to its outstanding offseason. The scary part is Seattle may just be getting started.”

Thanks NYHawkFan.
    I think the rest of the NFL got a preview of the scary part towards the end of the season last year when the Seahawks were blowing teams away.
    It’s always been a dream of mine to see a Seahawks team be dominant on both sides of the ball, and now we have a good chance to see this happen. The 12th man will be going nuts. Best fans in football, and smartest too.

Only one problem. What the heck am I gonna do for the next six months. Lol.

53. NYHawkFan says:

GeorgiaHawk
    Thanks for your link as well. Things are really looking up in HawksLand. Can’t wait to visit Seattle and see a game or two this year…if I can get tickets that is. Might be tough considering all the moves made this year by the front office this year!

54. NYHawkFan says:

Sorry, still waking up. Delete the last “this year”.

55. montanamike2 says:

We’re a lot closer to being complete on both sides of the ball than we were last year, and look where we went. Not only did we kill the monkey that said we couldn’t win on the road but we went to their houses and *hit kicked them. I look forward to 40-50 point games more often rather than a 6 point perfomance because of 2 FG’s. RW is going to get better and has the green light from day 1. Home playoffs get us to the SB.

56. I have never seen a more complete Hawks team ever. And we still have the draft to go.

57. montanamike2 says:

It’s strange to think of our division as the NFC best.

58. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

colts are after Cruz not baldwin. that should make some happy.

59. I heard that Dwight Freeney is going to sign with the Seahawks yesterday.

(yes, that was just made up but it has the credibility of some of these other crazy rumors that are out there)

60. montanamike2 says:

We need help in our O and D lines.

61. chrisj122 says:

The Tim Tebow speculation and or opinion from the Yard Sh*t is absolutely the stupidest thing ever to be suggested.

I’m convinced that the people who write for the Yard Sh*t are mildly retarded.

Tim Tebow = dog yard Sh*t!

62. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

tell us how you really feel chris,lol

63. chrisj122 says:

Sorry, just venting.

In case you couldn’t tell I’m not a Tim Tebow fan. Lol….

64. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

i thought it was funny as hell,lol

65. bbnate420 says:

It always makes me nervous when the brain trust here gets so overconfident.

66. bbnate420 says:

There’s a 1 to 1 chance that Vegas odds or being first in March power rankings will have spit to do with whether or not they win the SB in 2013/2014.

67. WilliamPercival says:

Interesting, I thought we got Avril at a discount, but I didn’t know we Stole him! The speculated 2yr $15 mil is actually only $13mil!

Sando just posted:

—PHOENIX — The Seattle Seahawks did not necessarily anticipate Cliff Avril becoming available to them at a discount price.

A soft market for defensive ends delivered Avril to Seattle on a two-year deal.

Contract details provide additional perspective.

Avril will receive a $4.5 million signing bonus and $1.5 million base salary this season. He’s scheduled to receive a $7 million salary in 2014, bringing the two-year total to $13 million.

The structure provides Seattle with flexibility after one season. The first-year charge against the salary cap is a modest $3.75 million. That figure includes half of the $4.5 million signing bonus plus the full 2013 base salary. That 2013 cap charge is low enough for Seattle to comfortably carry Avril and injured incumbent starter Chris Clemons ($8.2 million cap hit in 2013) on the roster this year while figuring out where both players stand in 2014.

Avril’s contract carries a $9.25 million salary-cap charge in 2014. Clemons’ deal is scheduled to count nearly $9.7 million against the cap that year. Carrying both those charges would not be impossible, but neither would it necessarily be ideal.

The contracts for Avril and Clemons would allow Seattle to part with one or even both following the 2013 season without incurring massive cap charges. Releasing Avril after one season would leave $2.25 million counting against the 2014 cap. Releasing Clemons after the 2013 season would produce a $2.16 million charge against the 2014 cap.

Extending either player’s contract would allow Seattle to lower the 2014 cap hit if the team chose to go that route.

The Seahawks aren’t talking about releasing Avril or Clemons after just one season. The team has high expectations for both players. However, the contracts carry protection for the team if plans change.—

Just when we lose our Cap Master in Idzik, PC/JS strike again!! So awesome to have such flexibility. Talk about having competition an motivation (for Avril/Clem). Another GREAT move..

68. If Tebow would come here as a TE – I would LOVE the move – With his height/speed/size and overall athletic ability I think it would be worth a try to see if he could pick up the position. (not at his QB price)

He could be an emergency 3rd QB and say block for punts and say Fake one every so often.

I wouldn’t bring him in as a QB – but we never know what the twins would do.

69. chrisj122 says:

I could see bringing Tebow in as a tackling dummy.

70. Singularitarian says:

The good thing about getting Tebow is that you also get Jesus as part of the deal. Though even Jesus couldn’t help the Jets last year. Interesting on the Avril contract. Sounds like we basically have him for 1 year For around 6 mill, split between 2 years cap space, should he not work out or e drastically shown up by Clemmons or even Irvin. Sweet deal

71. I couldn’t believe that Avril contract either when I read that this morning.

I wrote this for Stevos: :)

72. montanamike2 says:

Good article Bobby.

73. Singularitarian says:

Yeah nice Article Bobby. I think much of Carroll’s success can also be attributed to how much room he gives HIS coaches as well. Much as he doesn’t want a GM forcing players and decisions down his throat, he is also able to flip that coin as well and let the coaches coach and get them envolved in draft/trade moves as well. The communication on this team is unreal. Carroll and co find diamonds in the rough at all levels of the organization. I feel like Carroll could have had success outside sports, as the communication and teamwork he omits is the way any successful buisiness should be ran. It’s been a blast seeing how he’s done it the last few years. Total transformation. Unreal

74. Singularitarian says:

I can imagine Carroll running General Motors successfully

75. Maybe I’m still confused by the current ZBS compared to the man-blocking scheme of our ’05 OL, I dunno. You guys shouldda plumbed me up with a 2×4 upside the head.

In ’05 SEA had the NFL’s best offense and an average defense who benefited from playing with the lead. That seemed sim to what we had last season – except that the current defense more often played from behind. In ’05 SEA’s OL ranked 6th overall including ranking 1st in power (3rd & 4th down and less than 2 yds to go), 1st in 2nd level yards (OL blocking 5-10 yds past the LOS), and 2nd in open field yards (OL blocking past 10 yds down field). In ’05 SEA was also ranked 25th at getting their runs stuffed at or behind the LOS. That is, the cutback lanes for SA to run through weren’t there and he got tackled dancing behind the LOS more often than RBs did for 24 other teams. The whole run-game got noticeably worse as we lost run-blockers after ’05 (Hutch, Hannam, Strong, Grey, Tobeck, etc) and SA got hurt/paid. SEA’s OL ranked 13th in sack rate in ’05 (Hass got sacked 27 times.) It seemed like that OL held their blocks longer than the current OL. Besides draftees Jones and Hutch making the most dominant left side in the league, SEA picked up undervalued FA players Tobeck and Grey, and draftee Lock played well at RT for a rookie.

What we got for performance from our OL this last season was improved over what they did in ’05 to 3rd in OL run blocking ranking, including 4th in power success, 1st in stuffed rank, 2nd in blocking at the 2nd level (5-10 yds past LOS), and 8th in blocking downfield more than 10 yds past the LOS. As far as sack rate, SEA’s ranking last season declined to 13th even though RW got sacked the same number of times that Hass did in ’05 (27 sacks), because RW threw the ball fewer times than Hass. Even though the OL statistically performed better this last season than the ’05 OL, it looked to me like they weren’t blocking near as well(?)

76. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

this on fox sports, one reason i hate people writing about the hawks they rarely get anything right.

Team: Seattle
    Free-agent signings: WR Percy Harvin (trade/Minnesota), DE Cliff Avril (Indianapolis), DE Michael Bennett (Tampa Bay).
    Players lost: RB Leon Washington (cut/New England), WR Ben Obamanu (cut), DL Jason Jones (Detroit), DL Colin Cole (Carolina), G Allen Barbre (Philadelphia).
    What was addressed?: The pass-rush received a major boost with the signings of Avril and Bennett. Both players can hold the fort as Chris Clemons recovers from a torn anterior cruciate ligament suffered in a January playoff win over Washington. Bennett’s run-stuffing ability is underrated. Harvin is the type of dynamic receiver the Seahawks thought they were getting when signing ex-Minnesota wideout Sidney Rice to a free-agent contract in 2011.
    What wasn’t?: The Seahawks have yet to find a trade partner for quarterback Matt Flynn, a free-agent bust who was beaten out for a starting spot last preseason by Russell Wilson.
    Summary: Under the guidance of general manager John Schneider, the Seahawks have all the earmarks of a Super Bowl team.

is it me orthere a couple of loses that shouldn’t be listed?

77. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

i think hawks pay clem this year and try to trade him before next.

78. Oops, Oops, Oops!!! The ’12 sack rate declined to 20th with RW getting sacked 33 times.

79. Cole and Barbre have been gone for awhile… It’s been hard to keep up with PC/JS’s transactions over the recent years, especially for those not residing in South Alaska.

80. doubledink says:

Singularitarian,
    Put the Koolaid down, keep your hands where we can see them and back away from the table. :)

81. klm–stats are meaningless without interpretation. For instance, I firmly put forth that our offensive line was vastly inferior to our 2005 line in all facets. For example, I believe many of the plays where they graded out positively were almost totally due to Lynch being a total beast. Many times I saw the line collapsing, yet Lynch managed to gain positive yards. Conversely, the 05 line opened holes that Alexander spurned, as he was always trying to turn what could have been a 3 yard run into a TD, often getting no yards. This was hardly the fault of the line, yet stats-wise, they get the blame.

Also, while Wilson was only sacked 27 times, that was due more to his scrambling ability than it was due to the line holding blocks. The line was in fact pathetic at holding their blocks much of the time; yet Wilson escaped time and time again. With a less-mobile qb, the same line would have easily given up 50 sacks.

To compare the two years based on stats alone, without analysis, is imo, flat wrong.

82. raymaines says:

I could picture RW running Gen. Motors

83. bird_spit says:

A classic klm post. Ah, the magic is back!

Keep it going, my brother. I love the stats angle. It gives a non-objective view of a relative tough thing to do, ranking greatness. The 2005 Hawks had a relatively easy schedule. We would have to wonder how the 2012 Hawks would fair against the 2005 competition, and vice versa.

In 2005, we had a QB that had just hit his prime, with an OL that was so dominate it was silly. Shawn A, was primed as well, and could get the 2-3 yards the hard way if he had to/if he had the will to do it (assuming it was a touchdown run, a near guarantee he was motivated).

In 2012, a rookie QB, that can only get better. A continuation of a OL experiment.

My opinion, rank the 2013 Hawks vs the 2005 Hawks, and I’ll take the 2013 hawks hands down.

84. STTBM – agreed. Not actually knowing how Football Outsiders (FO) distinguishes between what credit they give to the runner vs what is credited to the OL makes it hard to know what’s really going on there. I agree that ML runs alot harder than SA ever seemed to, but I also note that FO ranked ML 2nd among RBs to MIN’s AP, which seems right, and that SA was also ranked 2nd behind KC’s Larry Johnson (sim runner to ML) in ’05.

My attempt was to see if I was maybe biased, judging OL performance by the ’05 man-blocking standards and hoping that we would acquire better blockers in the draft to get there. While finding that the OL was doing better at run-blkg via their ZBS, I still worried that ML’s physical style of running could shorten his career leaving us with an OL that couldn’t support a run-game with an avg-physical performance RB. The ’12 ZBS OL is gonna continue to improve with reps, once they get settled into place and assuming the competition committee doesn’t rule cut-blocks illegal.

The ’12 OL wasn’t giving the pass-pro performance that the ’05 OL did. Both pass-pro and run blkg OL stats should take into account the elusiveness of the QB in pass-pro snaps and the ability of the RB to gain yards after contact. The current stats may seem backwards calling the ’12 OL better than the ’05 OL at run-blkg, but I’m not sure those stats aren’t true. How many years did DEN’s OL have multi-RB 1000 yders? The FO sack rate (note my correction post) does show that SEA’s ’05 OL was significantly better at pass-pro. PFF does a better job at describing pass-pro performance.

85. klm–There you go! THATS more like it–Stats AND analysis! Excellent points!

I have always thought the 05 line was given far too much credit for SA’s running in hindsight by fans and analysts who are blinded by frustration at how SA’s career ended post-injury. While that line was awesome, they didnt play at a dominant level in the run game every game. In fact, they got their butts handed to them vs Dallas that year, and SA pounded for 2 yards a carry all day like Earl Campbell. His stats sucked, but dude bulled for yards like I never saw him do before or since. I think Holmy told him “this is gonna be close. Just get me a couple yards per carry so we can move the chains and win”, and for once SA didnt try to break long runs that werent gonna happen.

My frustration with our line is mainly that Giac and the G’s mostly SUCKED in pass pro, but also that their run-blocking was inconsistent even in the playoffs; one play they all decimate their man, and get into the second level. Next run play, multiple guys fail to block their man, and two guys cant even block one man, and Lynch has to take on three guys just to get back to square one. AAaargh!

And I was absolutely pissed when I saw Sweezy in the lineup late in the first half in the red zone. I knew Atl would blitz right at him and he’d choke, and thats what happened. I couldnt believe Seattle a) had him in the game and b) didnt anticipate a blitz right at him. They sacked Wilson because Sweezy whiffed on his block, and we got no points…

Easy schedule or not, Seattle was an amazing machine on offense that year, and they were the best team in the NFL IMO. Had their schedule been a little tougher, Matt would have easily thrown for 30 TD’s and 4k yards, and SA would have creamed the 2k rushing mark.

I hate to crown their asses just yet, but I too would take this team over the 05 team. Lets hope they dont fail our lofty expectations…