Morning links: All quiet on Matt Flynn

Post by Eric Williams on March 15, 2013 at 7:58 am with 101 Comments »
March 15, 2013 7:58 am

With the backup quarterback market heating up, things have been eerily quiet regarding the status of Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Flynn.

Both head coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider maintained publically that they were more than willing to keep Flynn in the fold for the current year a his current salary of $5.25 million for 2013. And as Don Banks of Sports Illustrated writes, the Seahawks seemed to be standing by the statement in free agency.

Banks: “The backup quarterback options are rapidly dwindling for Cleveland and Tampa Bay. Smith was swapped to Kansas City. Drew Stanton signed in Arizona. Matt Moore re-upped in Miami. Bruce Gradkowski jumped to Pittsburgh. And Derek Anderson re-signed with Carolina. With Cassel gone and Seattle seeming in no hurry to move Flynn, the top-shelf No. 2 possibilities are few. It’s either compete for Kolb once he’s cut loose, go after ex-Bills starter Ryan Fitzpatrick, sign Jason Campbell, or make an offer that pries Mallett out of New England.”

Here’s my story on the Seahawks signing defensive end Michael Bennett signing.

John McGrath of The News Tribune wants to know if the Seahawks should go ahead and schedule the Super Bowl victory parade for Feb. 4, 2014 after Pete Carroll and John Schneider’s

Bob Stelton and Dave Wyman of 710 ESPN Seattle talk with Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell about the matchup nightmares new addition Percy Harvin will create.

ESPN’s Mike Sando does a nice breaking down how Percy Harvin’s deal fits into some of top Seattle players on offense financially.

Les Carpenter of Yahoo Sports catches up with former Seahawk Shaun Alexander, who attempting to make the transition to Hollywood.

The Niners are reportedly in serious discussions with defensive backs Charles Woodson and Nnamdi Asomugha.

Pat Kirwan of CBS Sports talks about the reasons for one-year deals making an early appearance in free agency – a soft market. He also offers his list of the top 10 free agents still left in free agency. Kirwan: “Agents know the annual owners meetings is a line of demarcation in free agency, and when the team brass returns from the four-day trip to Phoenix, which will begin Sunday, most teams will turn their interest to the draft. We will see a number of one-year deals in the coming days.”

Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com writes that Geno Smith and Tavon Austin sparkled at West Virginia’s pro day.

Morning links
  1. You’ve gotta be worried anytime people start talking about scheduling Super Bowl parades in March.

I would love to hear what Carroll’s plan is for the DL this year.

2. banosser says:

Any opinions on what to do with Flynn???

kidding..

3. JazBadAzz says:

Pete Carroll and John Schneider seem to be ahead of all the curves and don’t get into the politics of what everyone else is doing! Damn I wish Pete was 10 yrs younger because at 61 I don’t see him coaching past 70.

Matt Flynn is in the best position that he could hope for. He can work his butt off and take the job, or work his butt off and be ready to play just in case something happens to Russell. He still getting paid and ready to play. I don’t see any fit for him where he can go in and be the starter. He had that opportunity and loss to our rookie! Just work harder because we want you more than any other team!

4. Sarcasticus says:

Eric, what would you put the % at for re-signing (since they cannot resign) Hill? I personally would love to see them grab another LB in the 2nd or 3rd round, but another year of passable D by Hill would not bother me.

5. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

i think you will see a lot more of Red in the middle. there is no excuse why a guy that can block as many kicks as him can’t get penetration i really believe we will see some new looks this year on D. going to be an exciting year to be a hawks fan.

6. I dont know Jaz, i have felt that way about Pete too (coaching after 70), but he still moves around and talks like he is 30. I could honestly see Pete coaching till mid 70′s. You are only as old as you let yourself believe, and Pete still believes he is a teenager

Having someone push you from behind, as happens on field goal attempts, is not at all related to playing interior d line in non goal-line situations. Red’s playing “tall” in those situations actually helps him. I’ve always been surprised that he wasn’t more successful inside for other reasons, because physically one would think he’d dominate in there. To put a finer point on it: if blocking field goals translated into capable interior play, Craig Terrill would have been a pro bowl player.

8. RDPoulsbo says:

I think we pretty much played out the Flynn debate yesterday.

I’d really like to hear about the plans with the d-line as well. There should be a lot of excitement about what arguably was the greatest need going into FA is now arguably the greatest strength. I can’t really see the scheme being the same as last year though so it will be interesting to hear what PC or Quinn have to say about their plans.

9. JazBadAzz says:

Malcolm Smith twitter post seems to tell me someone needs to man up. This is a business, and if you are better than the guy thats want your spot then you play and get paid well. Loyalty means nothing if you can’t produce. This is the same in the real world. If I can’t meet the obligations of my contract, then the bosses will find another contractor! Man up and ball out! When everyone says COMPETE it wasn’t a slogan, its the way of life!

10. JazBadAzz says:

Jboard1 you got a point, hope your right!

11. Quarterbacks can have longer careers than most positions, especially when they don’t get pounded around, as Flynn experienced this past season. Flynn has a potentially long career, and at some point will get his chance to show himself as a starter. He will be smart to be patient, enjoy the chance to pick up a championship ring, and not take any career shortening hits. It is hard to blame him for wanting to be a starter right now, but it may not be his best option.

12. yankinta says:

I like the fact that it’s all quiet on Flynn. This means, our FO is holding out to get better value. LOVE IT!!!

Buffalo, Jacksonville, NY Jets, Arizona,, Y’all better be ready to PONY up, at least a 3rd round pick for FLYNN. We’re totally fine with conditional pick in 2014 as well, since We believe he will be an Above Average Starter in the NFL.

Jaz – What are you talking about regarding Smith. I’m not on twitter, can you lay out some examples of him complaining about something? I’d be interested. Thanks.

14. Southendzone says:

Hate the article about the superbowl party planning. Anyone remember the dream team from Phi? Pride goes before a fall? The flight of Icarus?

I don’t want to see any Hawk fans getting too high on these moves. Even if we are the superbowl favorites at 7:1 that means if Vegas is right we have < 15% chance to win it.

San Fran and St. Louis are going to be damn tough next year, take nothing for granted.

15. JazBadAzz says:

Duke, he tweeted this last night. I’m not saying he “complaining but he has to know what this real world is about.

From twitter:
    “@MalcSmitty: Teams seem to have such low appreciation for their own guys. The guys they trained everyday”The grass is greener” approach is real n the nfl”

16. I would have to agree with Southendzone lets not get to high its a long time before the season even starts.I know for sure I will be at the earliest practice I can get into, want to take a look up close at the new team. It is also going to be a very interesting draft.

17. Ewalters7354 says:

People talk about how the Ravens fell apart after the Super Bowl.Well I’d say the niners are also on the cusp of breaking. They lost a great up and coming safety, a promising player in Ricky Jean, their starting nose tackle left, to go along with losing a valuable, versatile TE in Walker, and traded a proven, capable backup QB in Smith.Go ahead and sign those two washed up corners to go along with Glen Dorsey and his bum knee.

Boy it feel great to be a hawk fan!

18. Ewalters7354 says:
  19. I also agree with southendzone. I am stoked just like most of us about these signings, but i am not one to proclaim anything, let alone a SB Title, before the season starts. Looks great on paper, just hoping it translates to the field. The division will be tough this year, definitely can not take anything for granted.

20. seahawksteven777 says:

I don’t think anyone is going to pony up a 3rd rounder. Flynn is probably destined to just be a career backup. Sorry, just being realistic.

21. JazBadAzz says:

Ewalters7354
    MARCH 15, 2013 AT 10:01 AM

Well said bro!

22. NWPoseidon says:

I think the dream team

23. NWPoseidon says:

I think the dream team Philly comparisons are way off. That roster was no assembled to fill holes, they went out and handed out long term lucrative deals to who they perceived to be the best players available. pCJS are addressing specific needs and bringin in players that are ST on “prove it” contracts to compete, not assembling an all star team. Only Percy is an exception as they see him as too unique a talent to pass up. Plus acquiring Miller and Rice for high prices did not disrupt the locker room. PC is not Andy Reid.

24. trout_hound says:

Here’s a great article from CBS sports on how Harvin’s contract affects the Hawks: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21877205/agents-take-analyzing-the-fallout-from-percy-harvins-contract

25. seahawksteven777, we shall see about that…. never say never, especially if our FO is working on it. :)

26. trout_hound says:

Interesting video (embedded in my link above) with Pat Kirwin, who says the Hawks wanted Washington back if he didn’t sign anywhere else (oops), and that despite his big salary, Rice isn’t going anywhere. They will be looking long and hard at Zach Miller’s contract though. I hope they can get him to restructure, as I think he’s a great TE.

27. vichawkfan says:

sign Phil Dawson please 7-7 over 50 last year. If our SF games come down to a FG here and there, be nice to have.

28. seahawksteven777 says:

yankinta: I’d be ecstatic if they could get that for Flynn. I’m just not sure how likely it is. We will see.

29. chuck_easton says:

Kolb is to be released before 1PM Seattle time today. He is already reported to be heading to the Jets. One more team off yankinta’s “I have a dream” trade scenario.

30. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

chuck if i am the jets i am still looking,lol just sayin

31. RDPoulsbo says:

They’re not talking about how the 49ers are losing key guys because they want to play up rivalry with Seattle. It’s not as dramatic as Flacco single handedly dismantling Baltimore’s SB for his own vanity, but it’s definitely happening in SF. They were already aging with thin depth on defense, but they’re keeping the old guys and letting the younger guys go. Sure they have plenty of draft picks, but it especially takes d-linemen time to develop. So yes, they do look like a team that could collapse like a house of cards right now.

32. bbnate420 says:

I don’t believe whatever people say, fans and the media, has any impact on who wins the SB. As Stevie Wonder says, “Very superstitious, writings on the wall. When you believe in things that you don’t understand, then you suffer.” I still don’t like hearing people fall all over themselves to crown any team, including the Hawks. We’re 10 1/2 months away from the 2014 SB. Relax.

33. seahawksteven777, I wasn’t sure if we could get a PROVEN 24 years old No.1 WR that can run 4.30 Flat and has moves like elite running back after the catch, with 20th overall pick previously. But look what our FO did!!! :)

That’s why never say never. :)

Get your hopes up and expectation higer!! GO HAWKS!!!

34. bbnate420 says:

Chuck E, forget about talking yantinka into reality. That’s like trying to separate a lawyer from a dollar!

Just kidding. I respect lawyers a lot. A lot of people want to hate lawyers until they NEED one!

35. chuck_easton, again you still have much to learn about NFL… sorry to point out the obvious.

Do you really think that Jets will sign him to a guarantee contract?? They’ll sign him to compete and his salary will only be guaranteed if he makes the Roster.

But keep paying attention though, your knowledge will improve. :)

36. chuck_easton, btw, you’re not alone. you have supporters with less NFL knowledge than you. :)

37. montanamike2 says:

My enthusiasm has climbed higher than in any other Hawks time, i’ll chill out on the SB talk because i don’t want to jinx us.

38. bbnate420 says:

yantinka, you used to have some points to make. Don’t let the Flynn debate lower you into ACIB/Nighthawk territory. You certainly don’t have the reputation to act like you are teaching anyone.

39. bbnate420 says:

yantinka, when Flynn doesn’t bring anything in a trade, are you going to stay here and eat some crow or disappear like ACIB??????

40. bbnate420 says:

montanamike, I’m there with you on the enthusiasm. I’ve already enquired to some people I know to go to a few more games than the 1 I go to every year. It should be fun if nothing else.

41. bbnate420 says:

*inquired

42. montanamike2 says:

Yeah cool but you’re right, it’s only mid March.

43. OregonHawk says:

Okay if yantinka is correct we put his picture up on an article(if Eric will allow it)

And if he is wrong, he posts a you tube video accepting that he was wrong

What do you thing of that?

44. bbnate420 says:

I think yantinka should have to walk through the city, or trailer park, that he lives in naked when he’s proven wrong. Is it just me?

45. montanamike2 says:

Does he eat an actual crow in the video?
    No but seriously, i’m sure PC/JS will do what’s best for the team.

46. bbnate420 says:

That was said in fun. No offense meant.

47. bbnate420 says:

He could stomp on some crow beaks like Dwight’s paramour in the last episode of The Office.

48. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

guys the horse is dead leave it alone. there either will or wont be a trade no point in wasting time on it.

49. chuck_easton says:

I agree. If there is a trade anywhere close to a 3rd rounder I’ll be jumping for joy. If there isn’t, oh well, we still have a good backup.

Stick to your guns Yantinka. It wasn’t too long ago that a few of us were challenged by many here about Wilson being the best option to start last season, and look how that turned out. Lol.

Didn’t mean to stir the boat. Ok, I’ll be good.

52. The two big things I keep thinking about these new free agents…

Seattle has suddenly become an NFL free agent destination. Avrill and Bennett were willing to come here on short-term deals to be part of something special. This defense was very good, but very young last year. But the word is out across the league and guys want to be a part of this. This defense is on the verge of arriving in a big and frightening way.

The NFC West is no longer just about stopping Frank Gore and Stephen Jackson. Its not just stopping Larry Fitzgerald either. Colin Kaepernick has changed the equation. The Seahawks went into this offseason seeking DEs who can run. Not just stuff a RB at the line of scrimmage. Not just rush a QB in the pocket. Not just get sacks. To stop Kaepernick, our DEs and LBs will need to redirect and run to track him down. Pete Carroll is wasting no time in creating the new defense that can compete with today’s mobile QB.

53. Yup, I have been saying trade Flynn right after the 75th overall pick last year, because I follow RW in college the previous year. People called me worse names than this back then. so, lol, it’s okay… :)

P.S., I’m not predicting we’ll trade Flynn. I am however, PREDICTING, that we will GET at least a 3rd round pick, if we Trade Flynn. Yes, trading Flynn is No.1 on my wish list currently…

54. About Malcolm Smith’s tweet, I can understand his frustration with the nature of the business, but I wonder if he also felt that way when he was drafted, putting pressure on “the guys who they trained everyday” that were on the roster at the time. All said, I hope that he has a good development year.

55. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

georgia PETA just called they say kicking this dead horse is cruel and wrong,lol. i am not saying we can’t discuss flynn but damn guys we beat this do death yesterday.
    this just in Al Davis conmes back from the grave to offer a 3 rd pick for matt flynn. seriously guys let’s find a new dead horse.

personally i want to see who everyone thinks they draft now? personally i think they take a guard in the second linebacker in 3 rd

hawkfaninoklahoma- Blame Eric, he started this Flynn thread Lol.

I agree with you about taking a guard in round two.
    Pass protection was just Horrible last year. Linebacker in the 3rd would be nice also.

57. CDHawkFan says:

At least there were people including those with NFL connections who agreed with what they did with RW.

I haven’t seen anything about Flynn for a second except on this blog.

Maybe Yantinka is finding out that making outlandish statements and getting under others skins is fun. I just don’t understand the strong opinion and he has yet to give a reason backed up by anythig except his own opinion. My guess is he will just take out a new name on this blog if/when Flynn is traded for a sack of carrots.

58. bbnate420 says:

Well hey, I was right about something once, so you should all think I will be right about everything else. No matter how far fetched it is!

I hope I’m wrong about Flynn. As I’ve said many times, I’m down with trading him if we can get a 3rd or possibly very high 4th and still sign a decent #2, like Campbell. I just don’t see it happening now. I thought it would possibly a few weeks ago. We should keep him if we can’t get some good value.

BTW, we won’t know what he was worth to other teams for sure unless he’s traded.

59. bbnate420 says:

Georgia, I love ya, but Hasselbeck would still be here if it was up to you. You have been on RW since TC, but I don’t remember you saying anything about him before the Hawks drafted him. The more I looked into him the more I liked him. I thought he would be nothing when he was first mentioned here. Then I saw the ESPN show with Gruden with RW. That really started to get me on the band wagon, but I won’t say I knew he would have the year he did in 2012. Honestly, I don’t think anyone here did most likely. It’s fairly easy to say you did after the fact, but there would’ve been plenty of reasoning if he hadn’t worked out in 2012.

60. bbnate420 says:

BTW, the Twins were worried about the DE depth, so they just signed Deacon Jones and Bruce Smith.

61. RDPoulsbo says:

I’ve been predicting a 3rd and a conditional pick in 2014 since the Alex Smith trade. I’d even go as far as say there still is a possibility of a 2nd round pick should Smith, Barkley and Glennon all go in the 1st round and GMs caught waiting for one of them start to sweat in their hot seat.

Just saying, if Rex Ryan has to go before the NY media touting a Kolb, Garrard, Sanchez QB competition, that should be PPV. I’d say the same about a GM or HC trying to tout Stanton, but that’ll be in Arizona.

Don’t need anything in return or to mock everyone. Just remember who predicted it. :)

The only one here who was beating the Russell Wilson drum before the draft was pabuwal. And he was talking about him at the end of the college season, to his credit.

63. yankinta says:

bbnate40, u will find it here that guys with good NFL knowledge are usually right more than once. Don’t wanna brag about how many times I have been right. :) .
    And guys with good NFL knowledge do not listen and believe everything what ESPN or others says.

Just watch and learn. You will learn. :) )

64. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

I told you guys this front office would be better than Tim Ruskell’s dumb ass. We have an embarrassment of riches right now. I’ve already pitched a tent in my pants in anticipation of the season.

bbnate420, Darn right Hasselbeck would be here. He would make a great mentor for Wilson, or would that be the other way around, lol.
    Flynn for Hasselbeck, that would be cool.

BTW- I never said I knew much of anything about Wilson before he was drafted. I didn’t have the time. I was too busy doing my endless research on DeCastro.

But once Wilson was drafted, (and like others here did) I saw how special he could be, and I didn’t want to see that developement wasted on Flynn just because Wilson was a rookie.
    I thought it was just old school to think that just because a QB is a rookie he can’t have success soon in the NFL.
    No I don’t take credit for discovering Wilson and I didn’t think he would be successful so soon, however I think he won the QB competition fair and square.

66. seahawksteven777 says:

yankinta: You seem confident that Flynn is going to get a 3rd if he is dealt. I honestly don’t feel that confident. That being said, why are you so confident he’ll nab at least a 3rd? They will be lucky to get even a 6th round pick for him in my view.

I think it says something when the Jets with Idzik at the helm, and the Jaguars, with Bradley there, and none of them seem interested in a trade at all.

I could be wrong and he does get dealt for a 3rd but I think the silence ultimately means he’s staying put as Seattle and Flynn realize there really isn’t anything out there for him.

67. Everyone’s 4-3 dream is to get consistent pressure rushing only 4. The Rams come to mind last year. With our current personnel it seems we have better options for doing that. Also, the Red question is a good one. What I see with him and most of our guys is less snaps over the course of the season. A lot more guys rotating in and out and possible different starting combos based on who are playing. Being a “starter” on our line may not carry the weight that it does on other teams. If we play a team like Green Bay or New England who’s running game is suspect you may see much less of Red. If it’s San Fran or Minnesota you’ll see more of Red, etc. The combos are exciting. At full health, first down might be:

Bennett/Avril, Mebane, Scruggs/Red/???, Clemons
    Red, Mebane, Scruggs/???, Clemons

Obvious passing downs could see:

Avril/Irvin, Mebane, Bennett, Clemons/Irvin

These are just guesses. Opponents are not going to want to fall behind the Seahawks on game day, especially at the Clink. That’s an increasingly dangerous place to be. In all my years as a Seahawk fan, this team has the greatest assembly of talent I have witnessed. I know better than to expect a Superbowl win. But I absolutely BELIEVE we will win it!

hawkfaninoklahoma wrote “…Al Davis conmes back from the grave to offer a 3 rd pick for matt flynn.” That’s a little bit unrealistic… It would be more like a 1st round pick!

68. I agree with yankinta…and would add that we will get AT LEAST a 3rd rounder for Flynn when we trade him.

Why? Because he’s worth that much just as a solid and reliable back-up QB, should a team luck out and and do better in the draft.

So, a team with a QB problem isn’t wasting anything trading for him.

The only reason he gets traded is because Carroll knows he wants an opportunity to start somewhere.

What do we get?

I think we can get more out of the back-up QB position with a guy like Hasselbeck mentoring RW and our 3rd-string development guy.

Plus, the development guy with RW and a Hass-like QBs mentoring him will become valuable on the trading block if he shows well during the pre-season.

69. bbnate420 says:

Georgia, I was just rattling your cage. You were on RW before me. Good job. I liked him a little after he was drafted, but I sure wouldn’t have bet he would have the rookie season he had, I did say he should start in 2012, MANY TIMES, if PC/JS thought he was the future. Even if he would be somewhat worse than Flynn in 2012. I was looking to 2013. And you did mention that I said as much. I thank you. It would be very boring if we all agreed all the time. It’s even entertaining to have ACIB and such around. They’re good for a laugh if nothing else.

70. bbnate420 says:

Did a team just pay Cassell 3.7 mil. Oh wait, they did. Everyone knows he sucks right?

Pabs is more right than he gets credit for, or at least I have given him credit for in the past.

72. Soggybuc says:

bbnate, I’d take Deacon on this team in a heartbeat! he might not be able to do s*#t on the field but he’d sure as heck keep the locker room in line!

73. JazBadAzz says:

The broncos just screwed up Dumervile’s paperwork and didn’t get it in on time…he is know a freeagent and can sign with any team he wants!

Maybe, just Maybe!!! get on the phone John Schneider!!! Lol

74. bbnate420 says:

Soggy’s back. Good to see ya.

Pabs definitely has a lot of good stuff to add to the blog, Georgia. I used to disagree with him a lot more it seems like to me, but I generally agree with him now. Not that we always do now or should. He definitely adds a lot to the blog. I disagree with everyone here at some point, but that’s what makes this interesting. I’m always willing to listen to a consenting opinion if it’s presented well and includes some objective data. Even if I don’t acknowledge it at the time. It’s hard to get someone to change their opinion when you’re in the heat of the argument. People, including me, usually have to have some time to reflect before they are willing to really dissect someone else’s argument and give it a chance.

75. RDPoulsbo says:

What did I say about Minnesota at least needing to bring competition in for Ponder? Yes, it’s Cassel and you can tell the FO is clearly tilting the scales in Ponder’s direction, but at $3.7 mil guaranteed, people are saying Matt’s $5 mil is too rich for teams to take a chance? This is one of the teams that aren’t as desperate for a starting QB to say nothing about some other teams out there.

I remember the time when Nate and I were arguing about something and someone posted something like- “Great! A drunk arguing with a pot head” Lol.

BTW- I am well into happy hour so I will opolijise now four anyfing I mite sfay.

77. before you tell me how many draft picks you think Flynn is “worth”, tell me WHO will be Wilson’s backup next year without him?

And then tell me what this team would be worth if Wilson get’s injured and Flynn is in another city.

78. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

galena, i was joking to the point if al was here he would do that trade. in honesty if al davis was here we could get a 1st this year and next and financial compensation.that would be why the raiders have 36 million in dead money.

79. SandpointHawk says:

Several people called the Wilson pick after JS did his pro day visit last year to Wisconsin. Eric called him as a forth round pick as did one or two others. I do remember that quite well because I was one of them…Just saying. Did I think he was going to be all that? Hell no, I did think he would be a great back-up though. I will agree that Pab’s posts sure got me to seriously look at Wilson, just as Bobby’s posts got
    me look at Flynn, oh so long ago…

80. RDPoulsbo says:

I’ve always said an extra 3rd round pick is worth DT rotation help, #2 TE, an upgrade at RT, Hill’s successor or hell, just a stud for the future that can take Obomanu’s place as a ST’s standout would be great value. Notice how each one of those spots would help the team win now and could even possibly contribute to getting to the Superbowl on a weekly basis?

For a year or 2, I’d be ok with Kolb, Fitzpatrick, Campbell or Grossman or Hasselbeck if he should come free along with a 3rd day draft pick to groom. Now tell me how hard it would be for one of those guys to hand the ball off to Lynch or Harvin 60% of the time.

81. bbnate420 says:

Sand, if we’re going by that criteria, I had RW in my mock draft for the Hawks in 2012, albeit I think I had them picking him in the 5th or 6th. Remember how me and STTBM each got 4 correct, OH YEAH, and won the Hawks Insider Mock Draft? I was warming up to him pre-draft, but I didn’t realize what we were getting.

82. bbnate420 says:

Georgia, who was the drunk and who was the pot head? LOL. Anyways, I maybe should change my tag, I don’t even smoke but maybe once a year, even though it’s currently legal in the great state of Washington. I do remember that though.

83. bbnate420 says:

Generally, most mi toghts r right formed, u know what I men?

84. Hale yeah, dude. Right on!

85. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

you all crack me up.

86. Ive been called a lot of things in a blog–and a HS student even told me I should cut my fingers off to keep me from typing–but I’ve never been called a drunk or a pothead. That was funny stuff someone said about Georgia and nate. too funny.

bbnate–I thought we only got three right last year? I picked Wagner, Wilson, and Turbin, but as I switched the order of Turbin and Wilson, I only got one exactly right.

Im proud to say I was warming to Wilson pretty early and had figured the Hawks would draft him higher than the fifth round many said he was due to be taken in, but I cant say I ever thought he would end up being the day one starter, or that he would kick so much butt.

And I bet I go back to my usual ways of not even being able to guess one damn pick right!

87. I wonder how many guys like RW have fallen through the cracks over the years.

I’m happy that out of 32 teams, our coaching staff were the ones who 1. valued him the most and 2. Had balls enough to “reach” in order to make sure they got him.

88. SandpointHawk says:

Heck I only got two correct and only one in the correct round. Figuring out what position the twins will pick is fairly straight forward. Figuring out who and when is a bear….

89. Autenpus says:

Obomanu’s been cut

90. bbnate420 says:

You’re right, STTBM. I had Irvin, Turbin , and Wilson. I was going to go with Wagner in the 2nd but I decided on Lavonte David right before I posted. It was right to the wire. Regardless, that was impressive. I had a lot of my Hawks 2013 mock draft set up, but the FA period has effed that all up.

91. bbnate420 says:

I only got one in the right round too. I have Turbin in the 4th. I had Irvin in the 3rd and RW in the 5th or 6th.

92. I sure didn’t see Wilson coming either and didn’t dare put him in my mock draft after all the hype about how he was too short for the NFL. Who knew.

How wrong 32 NFL teams were about Russell Wilson. He was first round talent all the way. Our team has a lot of these guys, an uncommon amount. Richard Sherman a 5th round pick? Brandon Browner went undrafted. Chris Clemons was undrafted.

And now we have added another of these under-rated guys. Michael Bennett went undrafted in 2009 because he sucked at the Pajama Games, I mean Scouting Combine. He was “too slow” and “lacked explosion”. Even once he got in to the Seahawks training camp, he was a “tweener” and they weren’t sure where he fit. Never mind that he was a huge playmaker for his college team, and had hands and skills that rival the best NFL linemen (and remind me a lot of Chris Clemons). But the biggest thing no once could measure was his will. They couldn’t predict how hard he would work every day to improve at his craft, insisting to outwork everyone around him. That’s what it takes, and that really cannot be scouted.

This just reminds me once again what a crap shoot scouting young players really is. Hats off to Scheider and his crew for getting it right most of the time.

93. STTBM how many fingers did you end up cutting off? I know with that intense HS peer pressure you must have cleaved at least one. Enjoy your 2012 draft king title for the rest of your life. Winning once goes a long way.

hawkfaninoklahoma, I was kidding about Al Davis too.

94. bbnate420 says:

The 2013 mock draft is mine too! I thought I had a good possible Hawks draft set up, but I have to totally reconsider it now that the Twins have gone on an unexpected shopping spree.

95. Yeah, hats off to STTBM and Nate also for some good picks last year. I think I predicted two. But it s new year, don’t sit on your laurels. Game on! Who’s it gonna be this year? lol…

96. bbnate420 says:

We still don’t even know for sure all the picks, right? Have the compensation picks been announced? I’m not probably going to even try to think about my mock for another month now. Things change fast in March and April.

97. ruminator1 says:

i was one who argued for Wilson early, but i admit i had no idea he would be as good or as dynamic as he turned out to be. now, it is hard to imagine anyone else. However, i also agree with Stevos–there is a decent chance Wilson could get injured and with the high quality of atheletes on this team, i would like them to keep Flynn. i wouldn’t be happy about an injury to RW, but i have confidence that Flynn could be very serviceable replacementand would still give us a shot.

However, that being said,i believe JS/PC’s intention is to let him go, but only for what they consider good compensation. i think they’d love a 3rd, but might settle for a 4th

98. guiltybystander says:

Don’t trade Flynn. I’m not as convinced as some seem to be that Russell Wilson will never get hurt or have to leave a game (even Dr. Oz can’t guarantee your health), and I’d rather have Matty at backup than any of the FA’s out there.