Report: Seahawks will release Leon Washington

Post by Darrin Beene / The News Tribune on March 12, 2013 at 1:34 pm with 26 Comments »
March 12, 2013 1:35 pm

Leon Washington has filled the role of returner for the Seahawks capably, but with the acquisition of Percy Harvin, his days seem numbered. A league source told ESPN’s Adam Schefter that the team plans to release him.

And there’s this Tweet from Leon today, which seems to indicate he’s done with the Seahawks:

Eric is on his way to the team’s facility now, so there will be more on this later today.

1. You were an exciting player and always a class act – best wishes Leon.

“Capably”? He was *much* better than that, Darrin.

Thank you Leon. You represent to me so much of what Carroll is and has built here. You got me out of my seat nearly every time you brought it out of the end-zone. Best of luck down the road!

3. Definitely sad to see him go. As other have said, great player, even better person. This is just another move to get younger, faster, stronger. I will never forget the magic Leon brought to our Hawks. And i wish him the best in whatever is next for him. (please do not go to the 9ers)

4. It was inevitable, but this is a move that’s going to be felt off the field as much as it will be during the games.

5. sluggo42 says:

Best wishes Leon! You were fantastic, and the 12th man has total respect for you.

6. PC/JS staying true to the model. This hurts on a few levels, but had to be done. I only wish they would have been around near the end of Alexander’s career. That was a pretty big set back.

7. I have nothing bad to say about Leon either. I’ll never forget the Chargers game. Best of luck in the future unless you’re playing against the Hawks.

8. So trade for Harvin is off – failed his physical

9. NM – found the fake twitter!! WRONG NFL

10. Isn’t Delaney Walker a free agent right now. Pick that dude up..

11. Walker signed with Tennesee I think

12. Sad to see Neon Leon go..

13. Might be fun to watch Harvins pres conference, sorry if someone’s already posted it:

LIVE press conference at 3pm PT at http://shwks.com/live

14. Totally sad to see such a classy man and player leave town. Good luck Leon. Dude still has plenty left and will help another team–hopefully not in the NFCW. :P

15. trout_hound says:

Leon truly is a great returner and a great human being. He’ll be missed. I was pretty surprised they didn’t use him more as a third down back, get him in space with a screen pass kind of guy like they used Forsett. He can move. Good luck to him, wherever he ends up. I wonder if we’ll draft a speedy change of pace guy as a third running back?

16. kinger12 says:

best of luck and thanks again for the memories! 2010 chargers games still is probably the best with those 2 KR’s for TD’s.

17. Leon was a great example of what it means to be a Seahawk. He will be missed. I will love watching him light it up for another team, but not as much as I liked watching him do his thing in Seahawk blue!

NFL really does stand for Not For Long! Best of luck to a great guy and a special player!

18. Sorry to see Leon go. Loved to watch him get his hands on the ball and make something happen. Thanks Leon and good luck to you wherever you end up.

19. LeePHilI says:

Thanks for the excitment Leon. Best of luck.

20. bbnate420 says:

I doubt he bothers to read this crapola, but I wish Leon the best and am sure he can still contribute significantly to a team.

STTBM, Not For Long is damn right. The guillotine has been dropping all over the NFL. It helps to remember these days when you want to criticize a player for looking out for #1 when it comes to their contract.

21. I am not pleased with this move. Yes, Harvin’s SUPPOSED to be a great kick returner, but I am still not pleased.

22. HeinieHunter says:

Hard to watch Leon leave. The most difficult part of the game. His goodbye tweet shows what kind of man he is. Some team and their fans will love to have him this season.

23. When Harvin is sidelined after his first serious hangnail, we may rue the day we let Leon go. As it is, he was underutilized in our offensive scheme and will hopefully get more playing time with an another team, but I don’t like the move. He’s one of the best returners in the game and consistently provided good field position for us. Harvin is an electric player, but if you want him healthy at WR, you have to wonder whether using him as a return man will come back to bite us given his durability issues.
    Leon, we hardly knew ye. Thanks and good luck man!

24. It could be that releasing Leon is less about having Harvin as return man, and more about his use as a 3d down back.

25. m2mnelson says:

This makes me hate the Harvin trade even more than I did yesterday. So now we’ve given up 3 draft picks and a pro bowler and lots of money for one guy? No one guy outside AP, Brady, etc is worth that much. I wish we were this motivated to fix the d-line.

26. jawpeace says:

I was really hoping they would have Washington on one side and Harvin on the other returning kicks. Not thrilled about this move for several reason one Leon is a class act and great returner. The other if Harvin is going to be such a valuable part of the offense, putting him at risk in the return game is questionable.