Morning links: Harvin worth the risk

Post by Eric Williams on March 12, 2013 at 8:22 am with 54 Comments »
March 12, 2013 8:41 am
In this Oct. 25, 2013, file photo, Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin, right, catches an 18-yard touchdown pass ahead of Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Eric Wright, left, during the first half of an NFL football game in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Jim Mone, File)

Dave Boling of The News Tribune believes the rewards outweigh the risks in the Seattle Seahawks trading with Minnesota for playmaker Percy Harvin.

Boling: “When Minnesota came to town last November, Harvin was leading the NFL in total yards, and was considered to be among a handful of players in contention for league MVP honors. Carroll raved about his status as a showcase talent.

So, Harvin’s going to be a new toy for offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, who was with Harvin his first two seasons in Minnesota.

Reverses, end-arounds, bubble screens … Harvin suddenly adds hours of film study and preparation to opponents’ defensive staffs.

Just the threat of him on a reverse makes Lynch better up the middle, and any other receiver on the field will benefit from the attention secondaries have to give Harvin.”

Here’s my story on the Percy Harvin trade.

Jerry Brewer of The Seattle Times writes that the Seahawks made a bold statement by trading for Harvin. Brewer: “The Seahawks wanted more. And they wanted it now. And while the investment in Harvin is enormous, so is the statement Seattle just made about refusing to be complacent, and truly building a championship roster.”

Mike Silver of Yahoo Sports writes with Seattle trading for Harvin and San Francisco trading with Baltimore for Anquan Bolden, it’s game on in the NFC West. Silver: “The Seahawks, as the Harvin trade illustrates, aren’t sweating the future. They want the 49ers’ lunch money, and they want it now. At 61, Pete Carroll is the NFL’s second-oldest head coach, and he’s approaching this window with the same restraint and subtlety that he did 10 years ago when building a mini-dynasty at USC.”

Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports writes that Harvin’s lack of confidence in young Minnesota quarterback Christian Ponder was the final straw for Vikings’ brass. Cole: “According to two sources, the straw that broke the Vikings’ back with Harvin is when he bemoaned the fact that quarterback Christian Ponder, a 2011 first-round pick, was not good enough. That came even though Ponder consistently fed Harvin the ball.”

Jim Trotter of Sports Illustrated believes it’s a mistake to think that just because Harvin had issues in Minnesota, that it will continue in Seattle. Trotter: “Certain lines have stuck with me over my nearly two decades covering the league, and one of them was provided by Reuben Davis, the massive former defensive tackle with the Chargers. Davis had a loud, commanding baritone, but it was those times when he barely spoke above a whisper that really got my attention. Like when he told me: “You need some a–holes in your locker room.”

Don Banks of Sports Illustrated believes fortune likely will favor Seattle once again in the Percy Harvin Trade. Banks: “(T)his is a win-now move for a team ready to challenge San Francisco for supremacy in the NFC, and Harvin gives Seattle another dynamic and unconventional player who threatens a defense on multiple fronts, having scored multiple touchdowns as a receiver, rusher and return man. Harvin at his best creates pressure on a defense that few players can match, and it’s not often you can pick up a fifth-year talent with a fairly unique skill set while that player is very much in his prime.”

Mike Freeman of CBS Sports believes Harvin is not worth the headache. Freeman: “Harvin wanted out of Minnesota. That’s clear. But what is also clear is the Vikings coaches wanted him out of Minnesota, too. Badly. Really, really badly. Harvin is a major headache — literally and figuratively. He hates being told what to do, which makes matters difficult if, you know, you’re a coach and you want to, you know, coach.”

Mark Craig of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune quotes Hall of Fame receiver Cris Carter saying the Vikings are better off without Harvin. Carter: “I’m not surprised, given the situation with him not being happy and there being so little chance of a contract extension for the type of money he wants. So they’re better off, especially with a young quarterback, trading Percy and getting something for him compared to going through the season rolling the dice.”

ESPN’s Mike Sando provides a run down of Harvin’s production by season.

This Minnesota Vikings fan writing for Deadspin isn’t happy about the Harvin trade.

Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman talks about the addition of Harvin with the NFL Network in this video link.

Jeff Fedotin of the National Football Post writes that the NFC West has gone from being a punch line to the best division in football.

Joe Fortenbaugh of the National Football Post says the addition of Harvin makes Seattle a scary team offensively.

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports that the Detroit Lions are targeting Seahawks free agent defensive lineman Jason Jones. This makes sense. Jones is a Detroit native, and Lions head coach Jim Swartz was with Tennessee as the team’s defensive coordinator when the Titans drafted Jones.

Former Seahawks offensive guard Steve Hutchinson is retiring.

Morning links
  1. This paragraph from Banks’ article, is pretty cool to read:

“You have to really like what Seattle has done in the past two years,” one veteran club personnel man told me recently. “They’re going to do things their way and not worry about the public perception. They’ve really approached things in a unique fashion and forged a new identity for themselves. They didn’t use a high draft pick to find a quarterback, and they’re willing to draft players that they love, but that not everybody else does. You have to be impressed. They know what they want, and what they’re doing.’

2. Something about that first article from the National Football Post bugs me. “the Seahawks have a mini-Kaepernick of their own”

I’m probably reading too much into that, but I think we were seeing great things out of Wilson before SF switched over to Kaepernick.

3. PugetHawk says:

Harvin is maybe a year or two older than most of the players coming out in the draft this year and would be a top five pick if he was in the draft this year. It sounds like Harvin got put on IR last year because he spoke out loud about Ponder being a dud which everyone else already knows. Won’t be an issue here.

Any chance that the Hawks replace Hill in free agency or is everyone convinced it will be through the Draft?

4. I’m hoping Harvin will wear 88. I’ve always wanted a great Hawks WR to wear 88. Don’t know what it is, but I think he’d look really, really fast wearing it.

11 would be an ok fallback, but I believe that Kearse holds that # now.

Now if we could sign Osi and Sebastian, live would be grand.

:-)

GO HAWKS!

5. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

JZ, bothered me as well, took it as if because of his stature he was some how a less than smaller version of.

6. that’s ‘life’…oops

7. PugetHawk says:

Deadspin article = Hilarious!

8. seahawkNJ says:

Wow…that’s got to be 2 records on back to back days. Most comments and most links in the “Morning links”. Loving it.

9. Somebody on the deadspin comments thought Minny and Seattle were even after Futch/Burleson. What a laugh! Burleson was a frustrating player who was always an underachiever. He was merely retaliation, not even close to making things even. Minny then overpaying for Carlson and him getting hurt and only catching 4 passes all year for 5 million bucks?! Thats a good start…us stealing Rice?! Getting there…Now, if we had stolen Harvin in FA without giving up a pick, that would be close to even…

Point being losing the damned Ice Fisherman triggered a team implosion that the Hawks only recovered from last year. There will never be an evening of the score…

Not even if Carlson never catches another pass and Ponder “throws” for 1,600 yards and 8 TD’s all year next year…

I imagine Indi fans hated us almost this much for bilking them into trading for WR Raymond Butler when we knew he’d lost his depth perception…or Raiders? Bears? Fans when we got those picks for Mirer, or Dallas fans when we soaked them for 2 first rounders for Joey Galloway…

I could almost say it was karma biting Seattle, except we were robbed by the NFL of the playoffs twice (once on a horrendous no-TD call vs Raiders on a last-play John L Williams run, and vs Jets on the Testaverde no-TD TD) and had our only Super Bowl stolen by the refs.

Seattle as a team is still in the negative numbers, Karma-wise. We’re due!

10. got to figure those two Hawks-Niner games in ’13 are going to find their way to Sunday and Monday nights, no?

11. Ewalters7354 says:

That deadspin article is hilarious!

12. bbnate420 says:

They could sign that dude in the advertisement on the top of this page to play OG if they’re looking for another outside the box signing. You’d think if he just placed that enormous melon between one of the tackles and Unger that nobody could get through that gap. :-)

13. vichawkfan says:

Is #1 available to WR’s in the NFL?

14. bbnate420 says:

That dead spin article is effing hilarious. I can close my eyes and picture BobbyK, no offense.
    Little does that guy know all the hand wringing going on here.

15. Leon just tweeted, “Seattle It’s Been Awesome A Ride, Got Nothing Bad 2 Say About The Gr8 NW #12thMan StandUp!!! Like always… #LetsGetIt”. Sounds like his services are no longer needed. The NFL is a rough biz

16. bbnate420 says:

Just need to find out if they got anything for him.

What’s the wait on Obo. I think they may have to wait for him to pass a physical or reach injury settlement. Not sure exactly.

17. montanamike2 says:

STTBM it’s good to see you’re not so pissed today.

18. guywhothinksheknowsitall says:

We don’t have a mini-Kaepernick, they have an oversized Russell Wilson.

19. montanamike2 says:

THEY PLAYED KAEP TO KEEP UP WITH US.

20. bbnate420 says:

Forget the previous joke. Now it’s Obama and flabby bellies on the top advertisement every time.

21. bbnate420 says:

Nnamdi Asomugha cut. The Hangman’s busy today.

22. Leon Washington tweeting he has been released.

23. I will be sorry to see Leon go, but I get it and they now have his replacement. I am glad they are doing it early so he can catch on with another team.

I think the LB position will be filled with either currently on staff, Smith or Toomer, or drafted this year. Time will tell

24. Colin Kaepernick has started a total of 7 games in the regular season. Get back to me when he’s done it for a full 16 game schedule. Get back to me when does what he did last season against the competition in 2013, who now know who he is and what his strengths and weaknesses are. He has neither the leadership skills, poise, or the moxie of a Russell Wilson. Quite frankly, I am not even convinced he’s a better passer than Wilson

Kaepernick’s got legs – this much is true. The problem for his future where running with the ball is concerned is that every NFL defensive coordinator in the league this offseason are attending “Stopping the Zone-Read” and “Defending the Pistol” seminars. That’s what happens when the NFL is taken by storm by a gimmick; there becomes an onus on making sure it doesn’t get out of hand for very long.

25. dsknudsen says:

I know we need to be sensitive to the cap but I struggle a bit with cutting Leon. Do you really want to take your franchise WR and have him return kicks? Just saying…

26. Hammajamma says:

Leon will land gently, but will lose $1mm.

Harvin is worth the risk, which is ultimately determined by the amount guaranteed. I don’t think they’ll hesitate to dump him if he becomes unmanagable down the road.

Rice
    Tate
    Harvin

Bates/Williams
    Kearse/Draft Pick
    Baldwin

I’m surprised about Washington but I’ll be more surprised if he’s out of work for long.

28. Washington was slowing down. 8.7 yards per punt return wont cut it in the NFL. I do understand that he returned a lot of kicks for less than 10 yards that many returners would have just faircaught, but the fact remains that he is slowing a bit and was expensive. Still, he was a great addition to the team and I am very sad to see him go. Good luck Leon! Im sure he wont last long as a FA.

Im not sure if Seattle really intends to have Percy Harvin, their (likely) highest-paid player on the team, returning punts and kickoffs. Im hoping they just dont want to hold a roster spot for a returner, and plan on using Special Teamers and backups, with Harvin returning the occasional kick as well. Blackmon, if he makes the team, is fast and has experience returning kicks, for one.

29. FleaFlicker says:

Leon will find work. But being a 30 year old return man, you figure his productive days are about to hit the wall anyway.

He was a solid player for us and I wish him well. But there’s another $2.5 million of cap space back!

30. montanamike2–YEah, yesterday was a bit of a shock. I was hoping to see them sign Bennett and/or Bryant, not trade their first round pick etc for a little malcontent. But its sinking in today, and getting a playmaker of that caliber is never a bad thing. Only time will tell if it was worth it.

31. Cutting Leon doesn’t mean Harvin is taking over that role necessarily. It could be Tate, who makes much less and has good vision. Or, they may find someone else for cheap who can do it. But i would not think that Harvin is the main kick off guy. I think the release of Leon is more of a cap clearance plus the fact that kickoff returns are getting less and less because of the new rules

32. At least Washington went out on top in Seattle. He damn near ran a couple kicks back in the Pro Bowl, and represented Seattle well. Nothing but good memories of Leon!

Well, the next punt Harvin returns will be his first, so I think it’s reasonable to expect that to be an open competition.

34. PFT is reporting that Jordan Babineaux was just released by the Titans. He’s 30. I hope he catches on somewhere, but it looks like his time is up. He’s lost a lot of speed. I loved that guy! I will never forget how he seemed to make a great play every time they put him in a tight game, working his way little by little into the lineup.

35. bbnate420 says:

Harvin has never returned a punt in the NFL. Tate or a rookie can do it.

Ryan Fitzpatrick released. More bad news for those that want to see Flynn traded for anything significant. It does mean that BobbyK’s favorite Qb has a chance to start again.

36. Maybe Buffalo will trade for Flynn, once they realize T-jack just isnt that great.

Babineaux used to frustrate me to no end. Yes, he made some big plays. But he was out of position so often…

38. bbnate420 says:

Big Play Babs. He had a knack for them. I have images of Frank Gore steamrolling him burnt into my brain as well though too.

39. As long as he’s starting somewhere other than Seattle, I’m okay with that.

Yeah, if some hack like me can write somewhere you know their are clowns out there that spout off about things they don’t know about. I certainly don’t pretend to be “real.” It’s just fun.

I wonder if Tate will return some punts?

I’ll have fond memories of Leon. I wish him the best!

I can’t wait what our DL has in store in the coming days…

40. “their”

41. bbnate420 says:

I wouldn’t hold your breath, STTBM. There’s a scuttlebutt that the Bills will draft Ryan Nassib to reunite him with the HC Marrone.

42. bbnate420 says:

Looks like you can forget Andy Levitre. 8 mil a year. Not worth it by a long shot to me.

Same old Browns. Managed to nab the biggest bust of the 2013 FA period, Paul Kruger. My opinion, obviously.

43. montanamike2 says:

I thought the Bills might inquire about Flynn…
    I want some pass rush now, through FA and the draft.

44. Babs was always in the right place at the right time as a nickel back, but he struggled at FS. For the Titans, he was a pretty good SS. Regardless, he was a very fine backup and decent starter for a good while, and I wish him well.

bbnate–Yeah, but one can always hope. And Nassib doesnt strike me as a guy who will be ready to start as a rookie. They need a Matt Flynn whether they know it or not, whether they draft Nassib or not!

45. I wonder if T Ginn is a possibility? Didn’t he just get cut or about to be cut? Not sure where I heard that one from.

46. bbnate420 says:

Hey, I hope the Bills get stupid, like they did when they signed Fitzpatrick to a big deal, and throw the Hawks a 1st or 2rd for Flynn as much as anyone. I just don’t see it happening. As I said before, I’d take a 3rd for him, but it has to be while there’s still a viable backup QB available as an UFA. I don’t want Josh Johnson or a 6th round QB as the #2 in 2013.

47. bbnate420 says:

Maybe if he’s willing to come here for the minimum.

48. bbnate420 says:

Ginn, I mean.

49. Reports are saying that Harvin failed physical and the trade is void

50. NM – found the fake twitter!! WRONG NFL

51. Hammajamma says:

They will need to find a punt returner, but I would bet Harvin is returning KO’s. Too much of a weapon there.

52. GeorgiaRay says:

The Deadspin guy is hilarious…..

53. Drew Magary is my favorite sports writer ever. He also writes for Kissing Suzy Kolbert, also funny.

And this is his early work for those interested. And new parents. http://fatherknowsshit.blogspot.com/