Report: Hawks talking trade for Percy Harvin

Post by Eric Williams on March 11, 2013 at 9:02 am with 39 Comments »
March 11, 2013 9:02 am

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Seattle Seahawks are one of the teams involved in discussions with the Minnesota Vikings for a potential trade that would send disgruntled receiver Percy Harvin to Seattle.

Harvin, 24, reportedly asked the Vikings to trade him. The University of Florida product has one year left on his deal, and is set to make $2.755 million in base salary in 2013. But Harvin reportedly wants a new deal that would make him one of the highest paid receivers in the NFL.

The Seahawks have some familiarity with Harvin, with offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and receiver Sidney Rice having worked with him in Minnesota. Rice still remains friends with Harvin.

Harvin also would give quarterback Russell Wilson another explosive playmaker in the passing game as a slot receiver, particularly with Seattle’s ability to successfully run the read option last season.

I’m curious what on earth Seattle would be willing to give up? Surely not draft picks, that would be a surprise (at least to me). So what player(s)? I find it rather unlikely this happens, but I’ve been surprised by this FO before.

2. Scary. But oh man, that’s all of a sudden a grip of offensive weapons. Very interested to see what picks/compensation would be involve.

3. I heard on Brock and Salk, it’s a done deal, pending a physical. Zoiks.

4. SaigonSun says:

Clayton and ESPN report Harvin is a Seahawk

5. SaigonSun says:

Honestly, I don’t care much about this deal. I hope I am wrong

6. WiscCory says:

Unlike most posters here, I would love the see Harvin in Seattle.

I’m hoping it happens.

7. My concern’s definitely going to be Harvin’s health. If he gets back into shape after hits like the Hawks put on him last season, then I’m fine with this deal.

8. WiscCory says:

Saigon – what’s your source on the Clayton comment?

9. Harvin can absolutely ball. Home run hitter. The question is, will we give him a big contract? What picks will we trade away?

Despite my reservations, I can’t help but be excited about the way he could help our team.

Probably means LW will be gone?

10. Schefter says it will include a 1st round pick. PFT says it will include a huge new contract.

11. What are the terms?

12. raymaines says:

PH is a slot receiver right? Wouldn’t he push everybody except Rice down one notch? Maybe push Doug Baldwin out the door. And Leon Washington might be kind of nervous too.

13. HawkfaninMT says:

WOOT! Nobody at pick 25 has his game breaking ability. At 24 he is as young as some players coming into the league…

I am all in! Now get him to Seattle, and get him running routes with Russell Wilson

14. I think Harvin will be an awesome addition to the Hawks. Think of how defenses will have to game plan now, with the multiple options from Beastmode, Wilson, Harvin, Rice. Not sure what they gave up to get him but I think we have to make a strong run this year as some of our key players will become FA next year and the year after and we won’t be able to keep them all. Harvin is a playmaker there is no question about that and being only 24 years old. On the flip side he has been injury prone and can possibly become whiny if he doesn’t get the ball but maybe a new team will change his outlook especially a team that is poised to make a deep run in the playoffs.

15. Seahawks2620 says:

I would imagine it would have to include a rather large contract, seeing as how he didn’t want to play under his current contract. It is a lot to give up, but Harvin really is such an elite talent. Just wait and see. Looking forward to hearing from BobbyK, seeing as how he sees him first hand every year.

Hopefully being on a young team like ours, full of kids who are “hungry” will put him in a better mood.

Here is an article from Jason La Confora, his take on Harvin.

Harvin is a baller, no doubt. The receiving corp just got much better. Anxious to see what they gave up for him.

17. Southendzone says:

WOW, I don’t like giving up a 1st rounder. I think the Hawks can make it work under the cap, Leon is almost certainly gone, so is Obo, and who else?

How do we afford to shore up the defense now?

raymains – Right, that’s his natural position. Baldwin as a 4th receiver makes for a deep corp.

19. trout_hound says:

Harvin changes our offense into scary territory. He plays 110% every play. I’d gladly give up a first round pick, this year’s #25, or even better, next year’s #32.

20. Love this trade. He is a straight baller. Now time fill the Dline

21. WiscCory says:

Rock on

Sorry Percy, but #12 isn’t available for you. That’s my number.

22. banosser says:

I’m not dissing Percy’s eliteness… but I’d rather have gotten a stud DE.. Now if JS/PC still get a stud DE and DT along with Harvin.. I’m all in on this move

23. aldenroche says:

He is one of the few receivers in the league that makes you say “Wow” out loud during an explosive play.
    Rare acceleration and speed.
    He also plays hard every game.

24. chuck_easton says:

If its this years 1 plus next years 2 as I’ve heard AND you then have to factor in the big contract I am not loving this deal at all.

Not that Harvin can’t win me over by coming in this year and teaming up with Rice to give Seattle one of the better WR corps in the NFL.

Just right now I’m not thrilled.

25. I am not happy giving up a #1 for him. I thought we really needed that for a good defensive player that would be available to us in that position.

Yeah – I understand that the twins draft well, but at some point in time they have to start getting Franchise players in the first round. (the fact they have not done as well in the 1st as they have later on, maybe this is a good thing)

26. banosser says:

Sure as h hope it ain’t a 1 and a 2….

27. boucherm says:

Glazer just tweeted a 1st and 7th this year, and a “mid round pick” next year.

28. Xcman – Giving up our 1st round this year is worth Percy Harvin in heart beat. You have to remember he is only 24 years old and is already a playmaker. Yeah we could draft a WR that is similar but I would take Harvin over any of the WR in this years draft without even thinking about it.

29. Don’t mind giving a 1st. He’s better than any wr in the draft and JS/PC must not have liked any of the DE projected to be available at that spot. 7th okay. Mid next year, kind of pushes it into the “well….” territory. Hopefully, it’s a conditional given his injury history.

30. boucherm – If you are correct on the compensation for Harvin, this is a steal for the Hawks for this kind of player. People might be worried about what we have to sign him to but there are ways of front loading the contracts early and not be as bad as many suggest. I think this is a win win in terms of compensation and making this team much more stronger offensively.

31. Didn’t see it coming. Great played, problematic character + hight price in money and picks. I am not sure. I guess i need some time to get exited.

32. patmcfar8 says:

Our offense will be scary this year… downright unstoppable. Sure, a 1st, 7th, and future mid round is a bit steep, plus the $10+ mil he’ll get a year… but he’s only 24 and a legit game changer. Bad ass. Go ahead and daydream about what this offense can do now. Another thing I like about this pick up… he doesn’t go to SF.

33. patmcfar8 says:

By the way… how many of us would have anticipated that our 2013 receiving corps would have been considered elite.

34. I don’t know how to feel about this, and won’t until we know what he’s making.
    If he gets the 10 mil/year that we’ve read he wants, I’ll be kind of disappointed.
    The reality is that you’re not just giving up the #25 pick, you’re also then spending 8 mil a year more than you would on that rookie. That means you gave up the rookie, plus the free agent that you could have had for 8 mil a year.
    I’d rather have Keenan Allen and Sedrick Ellis at the same cost, or pay Mike Wallace the 10 mil and keep the #25 pick.

That being said, I’m really excited to see him in blue, he’s an electric player and I’m sure will do it all in our offense.

35. Guarantee you guys the niner fanboys are not liking this trade.
    In fact, with the faltering play of rogers and culliver, add the fact goldson may walk, they just may be crapping their pants at the thought of percy harvin wearing the blue and grey.

36. bbnate420 says:

xcman, I don’t get why you and some others here keep repeating the fallacy that JS/PC haven’t done well in the 1st round? You could call ONE of the 4 first round picks they’ve had a bust so far. Okung and ET in 2010. Let’s see, home run and home run. Carp in 2011, bust thus far due to injury. Irvin, Jaye Howard, and Jeremy Lane in 2012. Yes, you can count Lane and Howard because those are who they drafted with the extra picks for moving from 12 to 15. Irvin led NFL rookies in sacks, and Lane was a solid contributor at least. 1st round picks are about a 50/50 proposition if you look back at history. Even if you exclude Lane and Howard, they are batting .750 right now.

37. CDN_C_Hawk says:

I think we have all contested JS/PC moves in the past and have been humbled….again I MUST..disagree with this move…a cancer and DIVA in the locker room and on the field. He expects to be in the elite pay grade, when I see him…as a below average receiver and a high end kick/punt returner. I’d have rather seen 25 go towards a DE..DT…or Terron Armstrong for that matter.

prove Me wrong JS/PC

38. bbnate420 says:

You really haven’t watched Harvin or don’t know anything about WRs if you believe he is a below average receiver. Time will tell if he’s a diva and cancer here.