Morning links: Allen ranks No. 53 on Forbes billionaire list

Post by Eric Williams on March 5, 2013 at 9:53 am with 28 Comments »
March 5, 2013 9:53 am
Seattle Seahawks owner Paul Allen celebrates the 24-23 victory during the NFL game between the New England Patriots and the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday, October 14, 2012 in Seattle, Washington. (AP File photo)

With an estimated net worth of $15 billion, Seattle Seahawks owner Paul Allen ranks No.53 on Forbes list of the world’s 1,426 billionaires. Bill Gates ($67 billion) is No. 2 on the list, and Steve Ballmer ($15.2 billion) is No. 51.

Forbes: “Allen is that rare billionaire who combines passions for sports and science. He owns the Seattle Seahawks (pro football), the Portland Trailblazers (pro basketball) and is a part-owner in the Seattle Sounders FC (pro soccer). The cancer survivor also has a keen interest in neuroscience, having recently lost his mother to Alzheimer’s disease. To date he has committed $500 million to the Allen Institute for Brain Science, which makes public a detailed “atlas” of genes that control the human brain. He loaned his 414-foot yacht, Octopus and its personal deep-sea remote-operated vehicle in an unsuccessful effort to recover the bell from the British warship HMS Hood, sunk in 1941 by the Nazis.”

Mike Silver of Yahoo Sports takes a closer look at six shaky quarterback situations in the league, and what the alternatives might be for each team. Silver’s list includes Jacksonville, Oakland, Cleveland, Arizona, Buffalo and the New York Jets. Silver lists Jacksonville trading for Matt Flynn to create competition for Blaine Gabbert as a possibility.

Danny O’Neil of The Seattle Times re-evaluates how the Alex Smith deal to Kansas City affects the trade market for Matt Flynn.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com reports that Pete Carroll was named NFC coach of the year by Kansas City civic organization NFL 101. The award is voted on by 101 NFL media members across the league.

Nick Eaton of Seattlepi.com talks wit replacement official Lance Easley, who returns to CenturyLink Field for the first time since his infamous call on Golden Tate’s game-winning catch against Green Bay.

ESPN’s Mike Sando takes a closer look at free agent defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins, who visited Seattle on Monday, and is scheduled to visit San Francisco and Oakland.

Seahawks fullback Michael Robinson was on ESPN’s First Take this morning, and will be NFL live this afternoon at 1 p.m. Pacific Time.

Robert Kaupang of Rant Sports (our own BobbyK) takes a closer look at Seattle’s options at the guard position.

Khaled Elsayed of Pro Football Focus takes a closer look at Seattle’s overvalued and undervalued players from the 2012 season.

Natan Jahnke of Pro Football Focus ranks Seattle No. 3 in the league performance-based value for the contracts currently on the roster.

ESPN’s Don Van Natta Jr. offers a meaty profile on NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, focusing on how he handled the Bounty gate situation.

Morning links
  1. Nice job Bobbyk! I am not thrilled with the talent at the G position, as usual, but I do have hope. We’ll see…

I would use the word “infamous” rather than “famed” when referring to the poison pill clause. Just my two cents.

And that was a cool shot of Sweezy in the photo.

Keep up the good work!

2. Sign Goldson to Strong Safety and move Kam Chancellor to OLB!

GO HAWKS!

3. Carlsonkid says:

I see where Allen and his sister are being sued by their security team ; something about asking the security team to hide illegal activity , and Allen’s sister smuggling giraffe bones … how weird is that ?

4. Southendzone says:

Smuggling Giraffe bones? WTH? Maybe it’s like deer antler spray and will bring Clem back for the opener. Put some giraffe bones powder right on his ACL.

What animal has the strongest ACL in the world? Can we just start transplanting that animals ACL directly into our top flight athletes? I bet a kangaroo ACL would be strong as hell.

5. seatowntp says:

I found the article by Khaled Elsayed regarding over and undervalued players based on performance very interesting. Initially, I have two reactions. First, I have a very difficult time imagining how the Seahawks will be able to keep all of their young talent together. I’d imagine that they will have to keep core players and continue to find “gems” in the draft. (I have faith that the will be successful in that endeavor.)

Second, I have to disagree with a player he considered in the overvalued category.

6. Earl Thomas, S – Cap: $3.7m, PBV: $1.7m, Value Differential: -$2m.

I think that ET3’s presence on the field cannot always be factored in a sabermetric equation. It appears his athleticism and instinct compensates for the shortcomings and miscues of his defensive compadres (such as Browner – who I sense can be a liability at times).

6. FleaFlicker says:

BobbyK, nice article! Thanks for putting the Moffitt situation into perspective. Never really understood what’s driving the turn-style at guard. But now you’ve got me all fired up about interior linemen!

7. CDHawkFan says:

#51 on the Forbes list, Shaun Alexander.

8. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

nice bobby.

9. JazBadAzz says:

6’8″ 280LB TE huh?

10. Ewalters7354 says:

If this TE is anything like Evan Moore he’ll be gone real soon.

11. Singularitarian says:

Seatown. You must have read that incorrectly, nobody, and i mean Nobody thinks Earl Thomas is worth 1.7 mill only. He is an all pro safety

12. Singularitarian says:

Ohh my god it did say that. Article may now be dismissed as pure rubbish

13. Singularitarian says:

He literally said kam worth 3 times what ET Kam

14. “If this TE is anything like Evan Moore he’ll be gone real soon.” – lol

If I’m Bradley, I would definitely trade my 3rd round pick for Flynn. He didn’t draft Gabbert and he shouldn’t want any part of that sinking ship. That guy has some pretty bad awareness problems. He’s a lot more talented than Flynn, but he’s a bad football player, IMO.

hawkinOK/STTBM/flea – thanks. I would have included the Moffitt suspension towards the end of 2011 too, but we are limited to 750 words per article (250 min.).

Thanks, Eric.

15. I haven’t given much thought to any additions/subtractions to our defense in terms of FA’s, but I have to admit Joreb’s thoughts about Goldson and Kam are intriguing. I might have to do some research on G’s coverage and run stopping stats, but personally I always like the idea of taking rom your division foes and adding to your own team. It’s two positives for the price of one.

On the surface the only concern I might have is how would Kam react to the move and how would the rest of our players react to paying a FA big money when so many of them are making far less? But again, the though is intriguing and worthy ofso time researching it.

16. I like the Fells signing, although I know nothing about him. I just love the idea of a guy with a gigantic body like that. If he’s athletic, who can cover him? I take that back, Kelly Jennings could cover people but he couldn’t ever prevent them from making receptions. Even if people have him covered… he can still make catches if he’s got little people on him. He has the measurables to create mega-mismatches. Low risk – HIGH reward. Maybe it could be a Scott Mitchell thing where he throws lob balls to Herman Moore and completes the passes (although he’s a WR and Fells is a TE).

17. montanamike2 says:

Good job BobbyK some things to ponder, happy for you. I find Joreb’s comment intriguing as well.

18. montanamike2 says:

I love the Fells signing too.

19. JazBadAzz says:

Kam doesn’t want to play OLB…Never have, thats why he went later in the draft in the first place! But I tell you what, I love him coming playing nickle backer and Jeron playing safety this year!

Where have you seen that Kam fell in the draft because teams wanted to move him to linebacker? I’m curious too, why folks thinks he’d make a good Will backer? He may, but if his main weakness is coverage, then playing Will in nickel puts him in a position to fail.

21. raymaines says:

Eric DW typed “Nick Eaton of Seattlepi.com talks wit replacement official Lance Easley…”

Come on Eric, watch your grammar. Everybody knows it should be “…done talked wit…”

22. “…Carpenter enters the off-season healthy…”

Bobby congrats on getting published. I share your hope for in-house improvement from our OGs but I do wonder about the above quote. Have you heard or seen a report that Carpenter is 100% healthy somewhere?

23. princeaden says:

That Tight end looks intriguing to be sure..

24. princeaden says:

Any word whether or not the Hawks offered Jenkins a contract ?

25. chuck_easton says:

Unless he signs here we may never know if Jenkins was or was not offered a contract.

We know he’s on to Oakland tomorrow having already left NYG, Seattle, and SF without signing.

26. Thanks Galena. I asked Eric about that in one of the chats at the end of the season and he said there was no surgery needed and the Hawks expect him health for the start of OTAs. That’s good news!

27. “healthy”

28. That is good news! Thanks. Now let’s hope big Carp stays healthy and begins to show what he is capable of doing, becoming a positive force on that offensive line. Doesn’t hurt to have a pro-bowler on either side of you.