Morning links: All eyes on Matt Flynn

Post by Eric Williams on March 1, 2013 at 9:54 am with 107 Comments »
March 1, 2013 9:54 am
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Flynn (15) looks to pass as Denver Broncos' Von Miller (58) blocks Seahawks'  Breno Giacomini, right, in the first half of an NFL football preseason game on Saturday, Aug. 18, 2012, in Denver. (AP Photo/Joe Mahoney)
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Flynn (15) looks to pass as Denver Broncos’ Von Miller (58) blocks Seahawks’ Breno Giacomini, right, in the first half of an NFL football preseason game on Saturday, Aug. 18, 2012, in Denver. (AP Photo/Joe Mahoney)

Brian McIntyre of Yahoo Sports takes an in-depth look at the Seattle Seahawks and what the team’s plans will be this offseason in this team report.

McIntyre estimates that the Seahawks will have $16.371 million in cap space, and says that receiver Ben Obomanu, who is set to make $2.3 million in base salary, could be a salary cap causality in 2013.

McIntyre: “The biggest question coming out of Seattle is what to do with quarterback Matt Flynn. The Seahawks signed Flynn to a three-year, $19.5 million contract last March with the idea that he’d compete, and possibly be the favorite, for the starting job. That didn’t happen, Russell Wilson was sensational, and now the Seahawks have a backup quarterback who is due $5.25 million in salary, with $2 million fully guaranteed, and a $7.25 million. If the Seahawks traded Flynn, they’d save $5.25 million in cash and $3.25 million in cap space. If the Seahawks just released Flynn, they’d save $3.25 million in cash ($5.25 million minus the $2 million in guaranteed salary) and $1.25 million in cap space.”

Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network confirms what the Seahawks already have said previously, that the team will not release reserve quarterback Matt Flynn, and that Seattle’s priority is to move forward with the LSU product on the roster in 2013.

Gary Horton of Scouts Inc. takes a closer look at Seattle’s overall team philosophy with Russell Wilson leading the show, and how the Seahawks can continue to improve this offseason. He also projects New York Giants defensive lineman Chris Canty as a possible target in free agency. You must be an ESPN Insider to view this.

Check out highlights from the John Moffitt experience on the radio with Bob Stelton o 710 ESPN Seattle.

More McIntyre: The actual franchise and transition tag numbers have been released by the league and the players’ association, which you can check out here. The salary cap has been set at an even $123 million.

Chris Wesseling of NFL.com ranks the pass rushers available in free agency.

The Bengals reportedly plan on placing the franchise tag on defensive end Michael Johnson.

Jim Moore of 710 ESPN Seattle believes former WSU receiver Marquess Wilson deserves a second chance to prove himself in the NFL.

Check out Doug Baldwin’s latest Fresh Files. He shows off is dunking skills in the video below. That’s pretty impressive on a 9-foot rim Doug.

Morning links
  1. tchristensen says:

Eric, If the Hawks are unable to find a trade partner for Flynn and Flynn truly wants out, can he ask for his contract to be voided and if the Hawks were willinng, would his salary come off the books for 2013?
    I’m clueless so your help is greatly appreciated. Perhaps Duke knows.

2. If they put the franchise tag on Johnson, then one of the very best RTs in the NFL will be a “free” agent. I’m not in favor of signing Smith since I doubt he can generate consistent pass rush from the RT position but the idea of a player of his caliber is fun to think about. I wonder how much his “character” concerns will hurt his value on the open market?

3. HawkfaninMT says:

I would take Loadholt before Smith… Probably come cheaper also

4. Carlsonkid says:

The Falcons have released John Abraham . Yes , he’s 35 years old . But he also had 10 sacks last year , and his contact calls for an affordable $4.25 million in 2013 . Not an every down player , but might be good insurance …

5. Phil doesn’t pass “protect” much better than Breno.

6. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

i like the idea of john abraham as a stop gap even if he is a body till clem get’s back. 10 sacks in a limited role would be great not to mention if draft several young DE he could be a good teacher/mentor .

7. PugetHawk says:

Loadholt has been on the field more over the last four years and allowed 3 less sacks last year compared to Smith. Either would be an upgrade over Breno.

8. Abraham over Freeney and/or Osi?

Interesting, similar choices . . .

9. I have no idea how I got in the crossfire of wanting Smith? I don’t want him or Philly Phil. I don’t want any FA RT. I want pass rushers.

10. “pdway – I’d take either of the three and be happy. I’d like to sign one of those stop-gaps AND draft a DE pretty high too. Same for DT. I also want a young WR before going RT.”

Totally agree with all of that.

Why don’t they just let us run the draft his year?

11. Speaking of Flynn, it appears the Jets are going to sign David Garrard which would leave only Jacksonville in the Matt Flynn “Sweepstakes.”

12. Garrard isn’t a starter. Not sure why they picked him up but it certainly isn’t to put pressure on Sanchez to perform better.

13. montanamike2 says:

Probably because they need a replacement for Tebow.

14. If Garrard is healthy, he’s better than Sanchez.

What teams with no QB should be doing is tanking the season to enter the 2014 “Teddy Bridgewater Sweepstakes.”

Instead they are running out and signing every stop gap measure out there. They won’t get lucky and find a franchise QB in the third round the following year. Most franchise QBs are drafted in the first or second round.

15. I should correct that to say that most starters are drafted in the first and second round with most franchise QBs drafted as high 1st round picks.

16. tylerwyler says:

BobbyK wrote: “I have no idea how I got in the crossfire of wanting Smith? I don’t want him or Philly Phil. I don’t want any FA RT. I want pass rushers…”

New rule: If you must abbreviate “free agent right tackle,” at least excuse yourself afterwards.

17. guiltybystander says:

Regarding Flynn: I’d keep him. When the Dolphins ran the table in 1972, they did so despite Bob Griese going down with a broken ankle five games into the regular season and being out until the playoffs. Ask Don Shula if he was happy to have a backup like Earl Morrall, who went on to be the AFC Offensive Player of the Year.

My question is this: Can Flynn’s deal be restructured so that a percentage of its current value remains in the new contract with the team while a personal services contract with Paul Allen is entered into (like Herschel Walker’s deal with Donald Trump when Walker played on Trump’s USFL team)? I don’t know what NFL rules are on personal serivce contracts or even if they’re allowed, but something like this might ease any salary cap restrictions.

Bottom line: Seattle needs a good backup QB. Without Flynn, the only QB on the roster is Wilson himself. I’m not comfortable with that.

18. Frankly, providing Flynn doesn’t become a lockeroom cancer (which I don;t think he would), I’d like to see us keep him. I think San Fran is going to be in a world of hurt if Kapernick goes down. I think Flyn inot only a capable back-up for us, but a damn good one too. Why trade him unless it’s for something really good.

19. montanamike2 says:

My sentiments exactly! If nobody bites on Flynn as a starter, then he might accept a backup role, his options are running out.

20. Ewalters7354 says:

Agree Skavage.

21. SandpointHawk says:

If Personal Service Contracts were legal in the NFL don’t you think the richest owner in the NFL, Paul Allen, would have multiple championships by now? The USFL contacts (and there were several) were found to be a violation of anti-trust law.

22. AKhawkFan says:

BobbyK,
    I lol’d when I read you comment. I read it as I don’t want any FART. Jeeze I’m childish.

23. I’ve been called an old FA RT more times than I care to admit. Its true, nobody wants an old FA RT.

24. raymaines says:

JS&PC have been vague, but truthful with us for three years now. If they are saying it’s their priority “to move forward with the LSU product on the roster in 2013.” then it is. I’m sure they would listen to trade offers and jump on a good one, but they are perfectly prepared to keep him. I think this discussion is pretty much over at this point.

Still though, I think a 3rd or even 4th round draft pick rookie QB and an extra 4 or 5 million in cap room would be a better value to the ‘Hawks than a potential starting QB on the bench. Heck, for less than $500K a year you could get a whole Pentecostal church to pray Journey Mercies for RW, and that would save a roster spot as well.

25. With the Jets now going after David Gerrard, and Smith in KC, its looking like unless Jacksonville decides to pull the trigger, Flynn will be a Seahawk again.

I’m all for Flynn staying here. Backup QBs are an underrated asset.

Show me who wins next year between the Seahawks and 49ers when Wilson and Kaepernick are both nicked and on the bench, and I’ll show you the NFC West champion.

26. Skavage, I think the vast majority of us want to keep Flynn. Problem is we know how JS operates. If a good deals comes along he’s going to listen to it. If he can get a high pick for him and then use it to get one of the better QBs in this year’s draft then it wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

27. I always knew Bobby was an old FART…

28. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

write up at fieldgulls desmond bryant.

I like Bryant a lot, actually. He may be near the top of my list for free agent signings, in fact. He’s another one of those position versatile players with length that the Seahawks tend to love, and has played end and tackle for the Raiders in his career thus far (18 total starts only though). Bryant was signed by Tom Cable as a UDFA out of Harvard after posting some very intriguing speed/power numbers, has gained 20 pounds (he was 288 coming out), and in 2012, gathered 9 sacks, 20 QB hurries, and 11 QB hits. The man can move the pocket, and in the brief scouting I’ve done, plays with a violent nasty streak that you know Tom Cable loved. The question is – will Cable vouch for him?

Bryant was recently arrested, which could harm his value a bit, but for a guy that used a 4.2 GPA and 1230 SAT to get an academic scholarship to Harvard, you know he’s got the smarts to go with his athleticism. If Cable and Bryant have/had a good working relationship, that could help with the Seahawks’ pitch. It also helps that Seattle’s defense is so good, making the Seahawks an attractive destination for anybody that wants to play around guys that will boost their production.

At this point, I’m not sure that Bryant would be a three down player, but he’d be a big part of the defensive line rotation if he were to be signed.

i like this guy would rather have him than jones.

29. Once I lived the life of a millionaire,
    Ten million dollars guaranteed, just sitting there,
    Took all my Seahawks friends out for a good time,
    Told them I’d be their starter for a long, long time.

Then I lost the competition to the short kid named Russell,
    Even though I made the passes, even though I showed the hustle,
    And if I get my hands on a starting job again,
    I’m gonna hang on to it like a long-lost friend.

Cause nobody knows you
    When you’re the backup quarterback.
    Your wallet may weigh a million pounds,
    But as for friends, you got none around.

When you finally get back up off the bench again,
    All the receivers want to be your old long-lost friend.
    But then they will drop you just like a third-down sack,
    Nobody knows you when you’re the backup quarterback.

When you finally get traded to that team with a need,
    Everyone there wants to be your good friend indeed.
    But if some rookie takes your job,
    You’re no better than any other slob,
    And the pain feels just like a broken heart attack,
    Cause nobody knows you when you’re the backup quarterback.

(with a tip of the hat to GeorgiaHawk)

30. At $2.3M, Obanamoo has got to be cut!

If the 49ers can get a 2nd rd pick for Smith, the Hawks should be able to get a conditional 3rd for Flynn. I have no idea why Reid & the Chiefs would give up so much to get Smith.

31. montanamike2 says:

Good job Stevos!

32. Ummm…isn’t the caption at the top a little backwards?

33. Singularitarian says:

I would be plenty happy with a 3rd or 4th for Flynn and Josh Portis at league minimum with an actual offseason of practice. Portis’ skill set is very similar to Wilson’s. Go back and watch his rookie year preseason games and he just scream Russle Wilson

34. I would say its obvious Seattle has had no real offers of substance for Flynn, as everyone is being their usual cheap-ass selves in the NFL. So now they say they will move on with Flynn as back-up, in a blatant (yet understandable) attempt to revitalize the market for Flynn. Will it work?

I doubt it.

Which is kind of a shame. The guys earned a chance to show his stuff, especially considering the garbage talent some teams have had to start. Its not fair or right that he will have to ride the pine. Such is life, he can console himself with his millions…but I still fell bad for him.

35. I haven’t come to that conclusion yet, STTBM. JS is a shrewd poker player.

This Seattle front office is not a “shrewd poker player”, thankfully. They are as straightforward as they come. The fact of the matter is that Schneider and his staff, have as keen an eye for talent as any in the league, which has nothing to do with subterfuge or misdirection, on any level. All this talk about “cards close to the vest” and the like, is a complete insult (IMO) to just how competent this organization is at recognizing talent. Carroll has given honest appraisals of what the team’s needs are, and has addressed exactly those. Where’s the “trickery”, as it were?

37. rramstad says:

Cardinals need a QB… I think they have an outside shot at being in the mix along with the Jaguars.

38. Well, if we don’t light a match under ‘em, and get an FA RT, the whole line will blow up.

39. bbnate420 says:

The Hawks aren’t going to drop a bunch of change to sign a RT. Fahget about it. It would be financially irresponsible.

Not that I ever thought they would, but this confirms that they won’t release Flynn. They really wouldn’t save any cap space in doing so. They’d have to use all or more of that 1.25 mil to sign a vet backup or go with either Portis or a rookie as the backup, either of which would eat up a significant chunk of that 1.25 mil.

I’m glad to see that the cap will be 123 mil. It was projected to only be 121 mil. Hopefully the cap increases more than expected in the future as well.

40. bbnate420 says:

The Hawks won’t be able to trade Flynn for anything if they wait until after 2013. Well, I guess they got a 7th for TJack, so they might be able to get the same. Teams know that there’s no way the Hawks can keep him on the roster in 2014, unless something very bad happens to RW next year. His cap hit will only be 2 mil if released in 2014. I still think having him as the backup for 2013 alone is valuable enough to keep him unless they can get a 3rd for him, possibly a VERY high 4th.

I really want to see the Hawks add another 2nd or 3rd in the upcoming draft, either through Flynn and/or trading lower picks. Preferably a mid 2nd. I’d like to see them be able to get a DE, DT, WR, and a WLB with 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. Right now, I’d take DE Margus Hunt with the 1st, trade for a mid-2nd and take either OLB Sio Moore or Kaseem Greene, take WR Da’Rick Rodgers with the other 2nd, take either DT Sylvester Williams or Akeem Spence with the 3rd, and hope that OLB/DE Cornelius Washington is there at the 4th, or early 5th if they have traded the 4th.

41. sluggo42 says:

Interesting concept slave, if he hasn’t been traded yet, then does that mean nobody has mad an offer yet? Smiths deal is all but done, as is gerrards…

Maybe the slave is right?…

Say we keep him as back up this year, what’s to say we just don’t resign him the following year to a much more agreeable contract? Match any offers type of thing?

42. sluggo–No, it means they havent gotten any offers they liked. They are doing exactly what they ares supposed to–trying to get the most compensation they can for Flynn, or keep him.

They can still conceivably find a trade partner after the draft, if they find a good mobile backup at the qb position. Teams are always more willing to trade future draft picks than current ones, and if a team ends up holding the bag after FA and the draft, qb-wise, Seattle could in theory end up with better offers.

My bet at this time is that we keep Flynn through this year at least. Makes little sense to dump him for a low pick that wont even help the team.

43. montanamike2 says:

Injuries to qb’s by trade deadline can change his value drasticly, he might net us a lot for next years draft. It happened with Kolb.

44. raymaines says:

Josh Portis: Tall, athletic, with a strong arm, but he can’t read a defense, can’t check down or throw accurately. There is a good reason he’s unemployed, and he won’t wearing Seahawk blue next year either. I love the concept, but JP isn’t the right guy.

45. raymaines says:

Interesting line in the Cullen Jenkins story:

“Chalk up the Giants, Niners, and Seahawks as three of them [of a reported seven teams he might visit], and Jenkins would provide the Giants with the biggest boost of the three teams interested.”

That sounds like a positive for Jenkins doesn’t it. Not so much. It really means the NYG have the worst D-Line. It’s all in the spin.

Actually, I’m still holding out hope Bruce Irvin, Jaye Howard and Clinton McDonald can improve enough that the ‘Hawks don’t have to go out of the house for pass rush help. Silly me.

46. Wouldn’t it be interesting if the Seahawks traded Matt Flynn elsewhere, then spent the money on signing his old buddy Greg Jennings. [insert mental image of Flynn banging his head against wall]

47. Even if we trade Flynn we’ll still need a capable backup to RW if we serious about making the SB. I’d like a 3rd or early 4th, but if we can’t get that I’d be fine with him at backup.

I love Captain Caveman at RT. His penalties were mostly him cleaning up the 8 people trying to tackle Lynch, and even then he cleaned them up later in the year. G is clearly the weak spot on our offensive line, and thats if Carp comes back healthy. Sweezy has potential, but Moffit and to a less degree Paul McQuistan have to be upgraded.

I’d be fine with keeping Hill for running downs, and he’d be cheap since he kills his own market value. I’m hoping Branch is reasonable as he can play DT, and sub for Big Red, but if he’s not, we should let him walk. We need more depth as I think both him, and Mebane wore down later in the year. I’m all for signing Jason Jones again.

Right now i want us to upgrade or add depth at WR/DE/G/OLB/DT/TE/CB, and luckily we have a great front office.

48. Southendzone says:

What do you all know about this guy:

I heard Buffalo will franchise their safety so this guy will become a UFA. He’s never missed a game and just 26 yrs old. Could be our new starter and also a Carpenter insurance policy.

49. Stevos–Jennings is not a number one WR, and that idiot wants 12 million a year. He isnt worth 7 million IMO, in fact he’s worth far less than Sidney Rice. Pass.

50. Hawks85, I’m not in favor of trading Flynn away, but I agree with you, the conversation doesn’t make sense until after we have signed a solid backup QB to replace him. Until then, trading Flynn would just blow a dangerous hole in the roster.

I would have been interested in re-signing Tarvaris Jackson. Jason Campbell could do the job for a couple years. Matt Moore is talented but isn’t a great fit here and probably wouldn’t sign to be a backup. So who is the capable backup the Seahawks would need to fill the hole left by Flynn? To me, this is the biggest reason Schneider won’t trade Flynn. This is a championship-caliber team right now – but without a solid backup QB, they would be one injury away from falling out of contention.

51. 12 million? Yeah, that’s not going to happen here.

52. Southendzone. I’m a Bills fan, and Levitre is really good. The Bills have a history of offensive linemen who leave to go elsewhere and become solid starters. Levitre is solid and I’d be shocked if the Bills let him go. But they shock me all the time with their bonehead moves.

I can’t see OG as a need. Aren’t we better stocked at OG than any other position on our team? McQuistan, Sweeney, Moffitt, Carpenter… I can’t see us spending any $ at OG.

53. Stevos, I agree we have a stock pile of usable players at G. But I wouldn’t say that any of the players at G has been consistently good and healthy. So I guess G isn’t a need, but I wouldn’t mind adding a consistent quality starter at G.

Still think addressing RT is a bigger priority.

Also, he is a little bit off the radar, but I think this DT may be a good fit for us at #25 in round 1.

54. Also, I assume we would cut Paul mcQuistan if we were to sign an Andy Levitre type of guard. McQuistan is in the last year of his contract and being paid $3m+.

55. Keep Flynn, and sign NO’s UFA Chase Daniel to compete.

56. The other thought I had the other day was the possibility of picking up a Josh Cribbs as a slight upgrade to Leon Washington. Cribbs is a year younger and is a little more productive as a punt returner. Also, I would like to give Washington’s reps to Turbin this season.

57. Cullen Jenkins scheduled to visit SEA & SF, per ProFootballTalk.

58. bbnate420 says:

Turbin already got the vast majority of the reps besides Lynch. Leon only had 23 carries and 4 catches.

Cribbs will cost more money than Leon. And Leon does have some value beyond special teams. More than Cribbs IMO anyways. Pass.

Jennings was a #1, but injuries have held him back the last few years. He’s not coming here unless they cut Rice and use his money to sign Jennings. No thanks.

If they can sign Levitre for not a whole lot more than the 3.375 mil being paid to McQuistan in 2013, then they should probably do it. I’m not sure that’s very realistic though. Also, McQuistan can play T if need be and they already need a 3rd T.

sluggo, your scenario of resigning/restructuring the contract of Flynn after 2013 is completely unrealistic. He’s already signed in 2014. He’s set to make 8.5 mil. There’s no possible way I see the Hawks paying that, unless RW is out for some reason. His cap hit will be 2 mil in 2014 when he’s either traded or released after the 2013 season. He’s not going to renegotiate with the Hawks to decrease his salary. He wants to go somewhere where he has a chance to start.

59. nate, yeah, I only raised Jennings name as a joke.

And yes, McQuistan could be the next RT. I think he could out-compete Breno if they put him at RT. In fact, I think if you put McQuistan in competition with any guy on our O line, other than Okung, he would take their job. Some O linemen just keep getting better and tougher every year of their careers and he’s one of those guys.

60. SeventiesHawksFan says:

If I am another team’s GM who might be potentially interested in Flynn, why would I offer the Seahawks anything for him right now? I know that i don’t need to.

PC/JS have their hands pretty well tied here. They would save nothing in cap space by releasing Flynn, once signing a backup is factored into the equation. And they would almost certainly get worse at the QB position.

QB is the one position that you end up having to overpay for. We did so to get Whitehurst, which didn’t work out. Got fair value out of Tavaris. Had no way to anticipate that we’d either acquire RW or that he’d displace Flynn when we signed him, in which case I suspect PC/JS probably never would signed Flynn in the first place and just kept Tavaris as a backup at a much friendlier cap hit.

I’d love to have the cap money we are using on Flynn to devote to another position of need, but all in all the Seahawks really don’t have a lot of money tied up in the QB position. And PC/JS need to structure a roster that will allow for a LOT more money to be spent on our QB in the near future.

Freeing up cap space through the release or restructuring of a combination of Washington, McQ, and Obonmanu (just for starters) should allow PC/JS to acquire the talent they need on the free agent market to take care of the glaring needs on the D Line.

And one can reasonably expect them to find at least two to four more quality players in the draft, while also adding depth.

All of which probably means at minimum: 3 D Lineman (2 DT’s and one DE is what I’m expecting), one or two OLB’s, one more receiver (either TE or WR), and one more corner at the very least. Which doesn’t mean that we won’t see more than that added.

61. bbnate420 says:

I think the Hawks probably do sign an OT, but it’s not going to be someone to replace Breno. It’s going to be a 3rd T. Think someone like King Dunlap, Winston Justice, Demetress Bell, etc..

62. SeventiesHawksFan says:

Also, I doubt that Branch or Jason Jones will get anywhere close to what they were being paid last year by the Hawks on the free agent market this year. There’s a good chance that we will get one or both back on friendlier cap hit terms after they’ve both tested the free agent market.

We did not have any major or glaring problems on first and second down at any point this year. And Branch played rather well in the playoffs. I don’t see any reason to replace him with a new player who doesn’t know our system. But the question is at what price do we pay to have him back?

Third and passing downs are another matter though. We need a different player at DT for those downs. And PC/JS have been more than forthright and vocal about devoting more resources and attention to the personnel we’ll be putting on the field for throwing situations.

63. SeventiesHawksFan says:

bbnate20,

I like your thinking at OT. We are an Okung injury away from being in a bad spot at OT. And the combination of an Okung and Giacomini injury could potentially be pretty devastating, even with a mobile/escapable RW.

We’d most likely be looking at the return of Zach Miller as a virtual non-factor in the passing game. And a whole lot of two tight end sets with McCoy also the field.

64. bbnate420 says:

Stevos, I wasn’t suggesting that McQuistan will be the next starting RT, just that he has a lot of value because he can play 4 out of the 5 o-line positions at least. That’s something to factor in if you’re considering releasing him to sign someone like Levitre. I don’t think he could beat out Unger either, but you certainly could be right about the other 3. I personally like Breno, although his pass protection will probably never be great.

Seventies, I don’t get your logic as far as Flynn goes. The reasons you lay out are the very reason that a team would have to offer more than crumbs if they want to have Flynn in 2013. If they’re willing to wait until after 2013 for him, then that’s a different story. The Hawks are in a position where they don’t save anything by releasing him this year, and they can afford to keep him. He has value to the team. It would be different if they had to release him. So there’s no reason for the Hawks to move Flynn unless they get an offer they’re comfortable with.

65. Duke, your spin on what a shrewd poker player is in interesting. Before you continue to put words in my mouth my point is that JS knows his position (both strengths and weaknesses) and does not fold easily. I said nothing of being a crooked, underhanded player, just smart.

If the right opportunity comes around that is advantageous to all parties then I fully expect a deal to be made. If not, MF isn’t going anywhere.

66. bbnate420 says:

Seventies, I think they certainly bring in a 3rd T because they had one last year in Omiyale. Maybe they even just bring him back. With McQuistan, they have a 4th T if need be. Better than most teams 4th option at T too.

I think you’re probably right about Branch and Jones. It’s possible that Jones gets in the neighborhood of his 2012 salary, but it would be another one year deal IMO. I think Desmond Bryant might be a better sign than Jones if he doesn’t cost much more. They fill the same role. Branch has value, but I’m not sure it’s 5 mil a year worth. They did have issues stopping the run in the second half of the year, mostly due to Red and Mebane being hurt. Branch does have some added value because he can move out to 5 tech if Red is hurt and they have someone capable of taking his stop inside.

I didnt say anything about being crooked or underhanded. I said they’re straightforward. This FO is about as far from “crooked” as they come. Generally when one says another is a “poker player” of some sort, they’re implying they’re withholding information. I find this FO to be rather transparent (by NFL standards.)

“If the right opportunity comes around that is advantageous to all parties then I fully expect a deal to be made.”

Of course. But that’s not being a poker player, as I understand it. In any case…

69. Ok, different interpretations…we’re saying the same thing.

70. Carlsonkid says:

Anyone else paying more for their season tickets this year besides me ?

… aah , the price of success : )

Remember a few years ago when we were bringing people out of the stands to play WR ? Koren Robinson emerges from obscurity because we’re that desperate ? Now we debate a possible upgrade at right tackle and make FA RT jokes .

God I love football !

71. Not sure who said it, but I agree McQuistan has extra value on the roster because of his ability to play either guard or tackle spot.

Despite being the one to mention him, I also agree that Cribbs would only be a small upgrade to Leon. But I disagree that Leon adds more as running back than Cribbs would add as a WR. IMO they both offer nothing other PR/KR. If Cribbs could be signed for less than Leon, its a worthwhile upgrade (albeit a small upgrade). Also, Leon is in the last year of his deal, so we will deal with this issue this or the next off season.

72. As for RT upgrade……. remember that Frank Omiyale is a free agent, so we need to add to the OT pile regardless. Since we will be signing an OT, why not use the opportunity to upgrade? Breno is in the last year of his contract, so we have to deal with this issue this year or next anyway.

73. Singularitarian says:

I don’t buy that portis cant read a defense

74. raymaines says:

Sometime last week a caller asked Brock Huard about JP, and Brock didn’t have anything good to say about him.

75. Southendzone says:

Stevos: Pretty sure it was Schefter who said they would put the FT on their safety (too lazy to look up his name right now.. george something)

I understand we have a lot of OG’s on the roster, but is there one of them you’re just crazy about? My thought is we bring in Levitre and if Moffitt or Sweezy over-perform well we’re just that much better, if not we just added a building block towards a GREAT O-Line.

I think a better O-Line benefits us more than adding a dynamic FA wide receiver. Even though RW is adept at avoiding sacks, I’d love to see improved protection for him.

76. Singularitarian says:

Raymaines. What they described in your link is a nice half assed scouting report and a pretty broad assumption of whats thought of a black athletic qb. Nothing more. As we saw at the combine this year racial bias scouting reports happen mostly with white DBs and WRs and black quarterbacks

77. I don’t hear Scruggs name come up much. I think he will add a lot of pass rush next year. J. Jones is worth re-signing. On OL they seem to be high on Rishaw Johnson (sp?). Mc Q. is the perfect backup because of the many possitions he can play and Sweezy and Carp will probably start so we don’t really need many bodies just a few good men.

78. South, I just think that with seven starting-quality O linemen, Pete and Tom will just make them compete with each other and start the best 5. its a deep unit and every one of those guys will be better next year than they were last year. No reason to spend $ there. (by the way, I’m usually in sec 122 in south end zone during the season, you?)

SeventiesHawk – its wil indeed be interesting to see what Branch or Jones values are on the FA market. I don’t think anyone will pay much for Jones after all his injuries, and I hope he’ll stay in Seattle for a reasonable salary. As for Branch – I think several 3-4 teams will covet him highly as a 3-4 DE as there aren’t many like him in the league, so I think he’ll be expensive to keep. And, as you say, as a DT he’s good, but there’s a limit to what he’s worth in our scheme.

79. bbnate420 says:

The Bills franchised Jarius Byrd. George Wilson was the other safety and is a UFA.

I don’t see the Hawks spending a lot on any offensive position in FA. I think anyone that expects them to is in for a disappointment. I really don’t expect them to make any big signings, by which I mean a deal for more than 3 years and over 7 mil a season. I think they’ll go after DL help and some depth possibly. It’s possible they spend a little more than I expect on one of the 3 vet DE’s if they release CC, though I don’t know if they can do that in the off-season. I know they’d have to reach an injury settlement to do so.

80. raymaines says:

An old scouting report says JP can’t throw, Brock says he can’t throw and after he was cut at the end of training camp no one picked him up so I have to think he can’t throw. YMMV.

81. Interesting OLB/DE pass rushing candidate here….. the write up is especially interesting because of the two different Seahawk references.

Singularitarian – While I agree that there are racial biases in the NFL (as all walks of life, sadly), I do not agree with your assessment of that scouting profile. Mainly because what’s described there is much of what we have seen from him in limited pre-season action and have read from practice reports. In this particular situation, that profile appears to be mostly accurate.

83. bbnate420 says:

I’m not sure I like anyone compared to Dexter Davis. Especially in the 2nd or 3rd round. Looks like a smaller, less talented Bruce Irvin to me. We already have the real thing. The scouting report seems to indicate that he couldn’t play the 4-3 WLB, at least not at this point. He looks like more of a fit for a 3-4 team as a rushing LB.

Check this guy out as a situational rusher. Has some red flags, DUI in 2011, but has the size and athleticism to develop into a good rusher. Played in the SEC, though he was mostly a situational player with Georgia having Jones and Ogletree. I may just be falling in love with his physical talent, but I think he would be worth a flier in the 5th.

84. nate, I like your thinking on Washington Three pass rushers I like; Washington, Jamie Collins, or Ziggy Ansah if Schneider wanted to shoot the moon and trade multiple picks to move up in the first round for Ansah I’d be all for that, otherwise I’d rather see them target OLB types like Collins or Washington.

Rookies aside, I think Bruce Irvin is going to emerge next season more than people realize. He could make us forget all about our ‘need’ for a pass rusher. Derrick Thomas came into the NFL at exactly the same size, weight, and abilities as Bruce Irvin, had 10 sacks as a rookie and exploded for 20 sacks his second year. I’m looking for Irvin to have more strength, stamina, and technique next year and to start shredding quarterbacks.

For FA targets, I’m looking at Michael Bennet as a potential great fit to fill in for Clemmons and be part of the rotation at DE for a few years.

85. Stevos, I have to agree about Bruuuuuuuuuuuce! I think he wants to be the best he can be and I fully expect him to move to the next level in the coming years. The guy just has too much talent and knows that he has been given a chance to really be something. He is one of those guys that you just root for no matter what. I hope he fulfills his dreams (and ours! ;-) )

86. Singularitarian says:

I saw him look like a play making stud in pre season his rookie year, i recall one play where he put pretty wicked zip on a ball to the corner of the endzone. I recall him looking lost last preseason, which is pretty understandable when getting no snaps in practice with a new system and different recievers. The dude literally had no chance last year.

87. I hope everyone is right about Irvin….. but I have my doubts he will be able to transition to an every down DE. Sometimes I am happy to be wrong.

88. I think we should start an argument about who should be our long-snapper, holder, and kicker next season. Also, I have definite thoughts as to who should be the guy who assists the guy who holds the chord on the sidelines for Mr. Happy.

I say we go punter in the first round. You can never have too many good punters. We could revolutionize football and put our rookie about 15 yards from Ryan and then teams won’t know who it will get snapped to. Just think of the way we could revolutionize football. Maybe we could start punting on earlier downs, too.

That’d be about as smart as being happy with the pass rushers we already have and focus on other areas of the team instead of this one.

89. piperfeltcher says:

I think the Hawks would love to keep Flynn and there is no chance they release him but he lost his job in training camp to an injury and kept his mouth shut and was a good team guy all year so if someone wants to trade for him and make him a starter I think the Hawks will part with him.
    Love the guard Levitre he would solidify the right guard position and be a huge upgrade over McQ.

90. If Purdue’s DT Kawann Short falls past DAL I’d love to see SEA get a good pass-rushing 3-Tech and run-stopper with pick 1-25 instead of UCLA’s DE Datone Jones. It takes at least a coupla years before DEs start to produce but a talented college 3-tech can usually start producing year one.

91. Bruce can be great if he adds 8 to 15 pounds, works on using his long reach and uses that to develope a couple inside moves. I’d still like to resign Jones, add a veteran(Michael Bennett, John Abraham, Freeney, Osi) and draft DE in the 2nd or 3rd. Would really like less predictable blitzes called too.

I don’t really see Moffit as anything but decent to good backup who lacks the mentality Cable wants. Paul McQuistan is decent but, he gets pushed around a bit for my liking. He was directly responsible for a Lynch fumble in the playoffs. Sweezy and Carp have the potential to be outstanding, but Sweezy is still kind of raw and Carp is always hurt. I’d like to add another G if Rishawn Johnson isn’t developing, and a backup LT as Paul McQuistan should never protect RW’s blind side.

WR is still a semi major need to me as Doug Baldwin, and Rice are injury concerns, I’d also like to have another veteran CB to replace Trufant despite Lane, and Maxwell playing well last year.

92. winterhawk says:

I respect everyone here but I’m not sure that I agree with alot of you that seem to be satisfied with our O-line. RW made the O-line last year look really good. Think about all his runs. Most the time he didn’t run because it was planned. It was because they were on top of him before he could set. We do have some very good young talent that is getting better every year up front, but you can’t expect RW to keep running the way he does without there being consequenses. If we want him to stay alive and stick around a few years we need to get him some better pass protection. I guess it depends on what you are willing to settle for. Do we want an O.K. front that we can get by with or do we want a total quality O-Line? Okung, Unger, and Moffit seem to be a fairly solid group, but I am sorry but I don’t see any of the rest as solid at all. McQ is a great versitile back-up. I don’t think Carpenter will ever be healthy enough to be a solid first stringer and the only place that I feel he showed any promise was at RG. Sweezy shows a lot of promise, but I think it is going to be a year or two before he is truly 1st string material. Beno had flashes of good last year, but given his problem with penalties, really stupid penalties, and his problem with pass protection, again I don’t see him as a top rate starter. Same with Omiyale. O.K. player but not a top notch starter and isn’t that what we are reaching for? A top notch complete front line? I believe that we could probably get by with our RG situation with what we have, but I really see a glaring need at RT. I went back and looked at the games last year and thats where a lot of RWs pressure consistantly seemed to come from. O-line isn’t our biggest problem but I believe that it is one of our top three, with D-Line being number 1 and finding a good NUMBER 1 reciever, someone that will scare and require other team to double team him. We haven’t had a true #1 reciever for a long time

93. montanamike2 says:

I thought Frank Omiyale did a pretty solid job at LT in the game when Okung was out, i’d keep him for depth at tackle. I wish we could package some of our picks to a needy team and move up to grab 4-5 solid players with 1-2 starters included, maybe 3. If not we get whatever gems may be left but unfotunately we have mostly 7th round picks and we could still grab more talent in rounds 4 and 5.

94. I thought Omiyale did a fine job coming off the bench last season.

IMO, bringing back Omiyale in a reserve role and potentially upgrading our RT starter are two separate issues.

Here are Omiyale’s and Giacomini’s salary info.

In looking at salary info, I noticed that Breno is making about $1m more than McQuistan in 2013. The more I think about this and the untimely penalties, the more sense it makes to cut Breno.

95. bbnate420 says:

Who’s going to play RT if you cut Breno?

winterhawk, it’s not that I’m necessarily happy with the entire o-line, but satisfied might be the right word. You have to make compromises with a team. You can’t have all-pros at every position. You have to set your priorities and put your resources into upgrading those positions. I think Breno will be fine, at least for another year. He greatly reduced his penalties in the 2nd half of the year. I also stand by the fact that I think that his pass protection was affected when Sweezy was next to him, not that he’s a great pass protector ever. I don’t think he trusted Sweezy in pass pro. One out of McQuistan, Sweezy, and Moffitt should at least be solid at RG. I believe Carp will be very good at LG by the end of the year at least. He’s had one major knee injury. We knew a big guy like him wasn’t going to be a major contributor in 2012. I don’t think it’s fair yet to label him as injury-prone or say he’s always injured. If he has significant health issues in 2013, then it’s time to look at other options. We have pro bowlers at LT and C. Plenty of lines out there don’t have multiple pro bowlers.

96. bbnate420 says:

Stevos, I also hope they go after Bennett if they’re going to target any higher end UFAs. He provides pass rush either from the 5 tech or DT and can hold up against the run while spelling Red. That would enable them to draft a DT, WLB, or rush end with their 1st. I only put WLB there because I think they would have to consider Alec Ogletree if he were there at 25. I wouldn’t draft any other WLBs in the 1st.

Ziggy Ansah would be a very good pick at 25, but I’m a little leery of trading up for him. He’s still very raw, and he may not be a significant contributor in 2013. I do think there’s a good chance he could contribute as a situational pass rusher in 2013 at least though. You can knock Margus Hunt for the same things, the guy I want them to take right now in the 1st, but you wouldn’t probably have to trade up to get him. I also believe he has played more than Ansah. If they signed Bennett, that would knock Hunt out of consideration.

97. Here’s my shameless plug concerning an article about James Carpenter and what is a make-or-break season for him.

I’m also not happy about the “H” part of the article, instead of “He” that’s on my rough draft.

98. bbnate420 says:

Not to beat a dead horse, but Carimi has been just as much of a bust thus far as Carp and isn’t playing RT anymore either. I also disagree that the o-line play improved by leaps and bounds after Carp and Moffitt went out. IMO, the o-line play was improving week by week before they got injured. E. Williams had a post dedicated to the improvement of Carp before he was injured. Other than that, it was a good piece.

blocis, you are right that signing a 3rd OT and upgrading the starting RT position are separate issues. I, at least, wasn’t trying to conflate them. I still don’t see them spending a bunch of money to sign a RT. Even if they cut Breno and save his 3.5 mil base salary, they would probably have to invest another 4-4.5 mil a year to sign one of the top end UFA RTs. And they would still have Breno’s 750 K signing bonus hit on their 2013 cap. I think if they address the RT position, it will be in the draft.

P.S. Knock yourself out with your UFART jokes.

99. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

lol bobby. i have said this all along, 25th pick is for BPA whatever position that is. if one of the top 2 OG/RT/WR/OLB you take one i don’t care if it’s a gaurd or a right tackle . i really don’t think there will be a DT/DE of starting caliber left at 25. if not that means move on get BPA which looking at drafts past OG is probably best shot, i am curious to see how breno does with a quality OG next to him.

after all that if tavon austin falls to 25 and we don’t take him we will regret it for years ,just my opinion.

100. Nobody there knows I have beaten Carimi like a dead horse so for them and their readers, it’s all new. But, yes, I have here. I agree. And thanks.

I’m not sure where all the “old fart” stuff came from around here, but it reminds me of the Dale Watson song he just put out for Blake Shelton. lol

102. HawkfaninMT says:

I feel like our o-line, with the exception of Oku g and Unger, is like our Wrs a few years back. Obi, Courtney Taylor, Branch, Burleson, Kent… All seemed like decent starters but in reality they just appeared good enough to keep us from drafting or signing better guys until PC and JS came along. McQ, Carp, Moffitt, Giac… Startable? I suppose, but if an upgrade is there why not take it?

Like a poster above stated, there will be a position that has a top 2 player at it when we pick, and I hope we pounce on them. To pass up on Cooper just because Sweezy is a fighter in order to take the 7th best DT is crazy in my opinion.

103. bbnate420 says:

Well, of course anyone would want an upgrade if it was just that simple. But you either have to allocate resources in FA, which leaves less money for other positions, or you have to use draft picks on them. Draft picks that then can’t be used on other positions.

I think that Carpenter basically has as good a chance as the average player of being healthy in 2013. He should be over the ACL. And if healthy, I believe he will be more than just an adequate starter. I would expect him to be at least good by the end of the year and have pro bowl potential in the future. So I don’t see the need for an upgrade there yet. I hope that either Moffitt will get in shape or Sweezy will get up to speed with pass protections and be at least an above average G. Sweezy has pro bowl potential if he can learn the position. If neither happens in 2013, then McQuistan is fine starting another year. Yeah, he’s not great, but name me an o-line in the NFL that has 5 great starters. I don’t think Breno is as bad as some here make him out to be. Could we use a better RT? Sure, but I don’t think they have the money of high draft picks to address it this off-season. Maybe next one? He’ll be an UFA, so they’ll have to do something.

104. bbnate420 says:

And to not factor in need is crazy. Yes, the BPA should also factor into your decision. I think you take the BPA at one of the 3-4 positions you have a major need. Matt Barkley could very well be the #2 QB and be available at 25. Does that mean we should take him? The #2 RB? No way. And you also have to look at how closely players from a position grade together. As the DTs as an example, from what I’ve seen there are only 2-3 potential top 15 guys and then a large mass of players all grouped together. So there isn’t necessarily a large drop off from the #3 or 4 DT to the 7th. And that’s assuming that a DT that you may value more highly than other teams hasn’t fallen to 25. We know by now that JS/PC don’t care about how other teams or the media rate players. If they were going to take an o-lineman in the 1st, I’d much rather it be a RT than a G.