Morning links: Seahawks on the clock

Post by Eric Williams on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:10 am with 67 Comments »
February 5, 2013 10:20 am

CBS NFL analyst Pat Kirwan and former St. Louis general manager Billy Devaney evaluate the Seattle Seahawks draft needs in the video below.

Kirwan identifies Seattle’s weaknesses at defensive line, right offensive tackle and defensive end. He believes the Seahawks will address the defensive side of the ball in the first round.

Kirwan says Seattle will take University of Texas defensive end Alex Okafor if he’s available at No. 25.

Dave Boling of The News Tribune writes the San Francisco’s loss in the Super Bowl helps the Seahawks. Boling: “Seahawks fans may also take heart in the fact that all four NFC West teams have now lost a Super Bowl since 2002. And each of those franchises slipped from division contention in the years afterward. So, although the Niners look strong and talented, and were only a slender yellow hanky from a championship, history is now working against them.”

Tom Junod of Esquire pens an interesting article on NFL players’ perspective on dealing with pain throughout the season. It includes an excerpt from Matt Hasselbeck discussing his 2009 rib injury on a bone-crushing hit by San Francisco linebacker Patrick Willis. Hasselbeck: “The worst injury I’ve ever had on the field — for my wife and kids, at least, and my mom and dad — was an injury I got against the 49ers. Patrick Willis hit me as I was diving for the goal line. He hit me, and twenty minutes later I’m in an ambulance on my way to Stanford Medical. I’d broken a rib on the left and I’d broken a rib on the right. The rib on the right was right next to my aorta, and it was really dangerous for my health. I couldn’t breathe. It was like there was a weight on top of me. It’s a scary thing, because it feels like you’re drowning. I couldn’t breathe at all, and I got up off the field because it was a two-minute situation — I didn’t want the team to have to take a time-out. I tried to run off the field, and when the trainers met me they saw I was, like, purple in the face. And they immediately put me on the ground. Sometimes they’ll put you on the ground to evaluate you and sometimes to give the backup quarterback a chance to get loose. They put me on the ground because I was purple.”

McNeil and Spiegel with WSCR in Chicago interviewed Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson. You can check out the transcript here. Wilson said he’s not concerned with opponents catching up with the zone read option because it’s only 15 to 20 percent of Seattle’s offense.

Derek Stephens of ScoutTheSeahawks.com takes a closer look at three receiver prospects that he believes might makes sense for Seattle – Virginia Tech’s Corey Fuller, Texas A&M’s Ryan Swope and Arkansas’ Cobi Hamilton.

Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch is part of ESPN’s recreation of RUN DMC in this video link. But don’t worry, Beast Mode didn’t shave off the dreadlocks. Lynch impersonates DMC (Darryl McDaniels) in the photo shoot.

Lance Zierlein of The Sideline View includes Wilson and Seattle cornerback Brandon Browner among four NFL players that could change the way general managers evaluate players for the upcoming draft.

Danny O’Neil of The Seattle Times offers three things we learned from San Francisco’s loss to Baltimore in the Super Bowl.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com provides some dates for OTAs and minicamps.

Former Seahawks special teams coach Bruce DeHaven has been hired as an assistant special teams coach with Carolina.

Morning links

2. Derek Stephens mentions Corey Fuller from Virginia Tech, who’s 6′-2″ 192 lbs and runs a 4.43 as an option in the fourth through sixth rounds. I dont think the guy falls that far. With guys like Cordarrelle Patterson possibly going in the first 20 picks when he was only a one-year big college starter and didnt even lead his team in yards/catches, I cant see someone with his experience and measurables falling so far. But then again, what do I know?

I’d love to see Seattle score a guy like this with a later round pick. I’d be freaking thrilled. Especially if we got a stud DT and/or DE and a WLB in the first three rounds, I’d be happier than a pig in mud…

3. pabuwal says:

The Boiling link actually took us to an off site article.

I would like to add some on the field related points to Dave’s article on why the 49ers loss could be good for the Seahawks over the next few years -

1). The 49ers Defense had little ability to stop anyone once Justin Smith went out. They went from elite to below average in one half against New England and remained that way. If this can continue next year, its a big deal for the Seahawks.

2). Colin Kapernick has many physical skills and pre-snap skills that put him right below the level of elite QBs. But his inability to read and recognize (he throws only to his first read) after the snap leads to a great deal of inconsistency and even problems in the red zone. Had he been able to progress beyond these issues, the 49ers would have won the game and we could have been dealing with a John Elway type of situation as Seahawks fans for the next 15 years. But as it stands, Kapernick hasn’t developed the skillset to propel him to elite status and I am hoping he never gets there.

If these 2 points remain true for the next few years, I like the Seahawks to get back to winning annual division titles.

4. We need to find a couple guys who can play G at an NFL level FAR more than we need to find a replacement for Giac at RT. Get a grip, Kirwan. While I like Sweezy’s potential, there’s no guarantee he will be starter material by game one. Moffit so far is a bust. We still have no idea if he can cut the mustard; so far, he’s getting beaten out by a guy who never played O-line before who’s got a year less NFL experience. Sad. No one knows if Carp can get healthy and in shape, or if he can pass pro well enough. We havent had a real NFL G tandem since 2007, and that year they could pass pro but couldnt run block.

Its been forever since we had the G positions adequately filled. And Im tired of watching McQ struggle. He just aint good enough for more than a fill-in role.

Moffitt is not a bust. He’s sharing time with a guy who’s new to o-line because of a knee injury (let’s remember he’s started 15 of the 17 games he’s played in), and potential conditioning issues (which I presume, hopefully, is a result of said injury). He has played well when he’s been in.

6. psoundpowerhouse says:

Free agency first. I like the idea of taking Melton away from chicago.

7. banosser says:

12 possible picks is too many.. use them and Flynn to move up and draft a stud DT or DE… whichever of the 2 you haven’t signed in FA.

You need to add elite NFL talent at DT and DE this yr.. that imo is a vet FA DT or DE while adding the other as a top ten pick in the draft..

Wilson has proven he can make Rice, Baldwin, Tate & Miller exceptional.. I would be very disappointed if the Hawks went WR in the 1st… they need an elite DL.. with one, the Hawks will be in the SB.

I think this a no brainer.. and the Hawks actually have the pieces to make it happen

8. I have seen nothing that leads me to believe that Kapernicks pre snap reads are soo much better than other young guys.

Good QB yes – close to Elite – not yet (IMO)

9. We could trade all our draft picks and not get into the top 10 in the draft.

10. I think too many are freaking out about our guard play based on this past season and not looking forward to what they could easily accomplish in 2013, just as people freaked out about Golden Tate prior to this past season.

I like a healthy Carp at LG. We never saw a healthy Carp this past year. We saw a guy who was overweight and limping around the field because he wasn’t ready yet. Everyone says he’s going to be 100% for OTAs and I believe it’ll be his time to shine this year.

I like the winner of the Moff/Sweez competition playing RG, with the loser being quality depth. One was an inexperienced rookie and the other was a second year guy who fell out of shape after a knee injury in training camp. I am comfortable with either of them as a starter next year. I am comforted in knowing that one of them is going to provide quality depth at the position.

Then there’s McQuistan who, at $3 million, may not even be on the team if one of the other three do not get hurt. He’s a solid fill-in player, but not good enough to warrant $3 million.

At this point, I think they will take the highest rated DL in the 1st round, whether it’s a 3-tech or a DE. Whoever they have ranked highest will be a Seahawk, IMO.

11. CDHawkFan says:

Agree Pabs, while CK has a great arm he stares down his receivers and doesn’t seem to have that touch to drop it over a defender, but man he can chuck it.

Xc, some just don’t understand that 5 picks in the 7th don’t get you much in moving up power.

I look forward to the battles this summer by the drafting of 2 5ths, a 6th, and hopefully 5 7ths. Our special teams should look different. Hopefully we can find a special player or two.

12. tealskin says:

Have to agree that replacing Breno is not the most pressing need for Hawks. Dline is THE thing. Oline needs tweaking, and improvement(more time with the coaches, and rehabbing). Linebacker, slot cover and TE are next. McCoy needs to step it up or he won’t survive (might be too late already). Maybe there are already players on the roster to fill some of the needs but those seem to be the weakest spots. Hard to judge Kaepernick off of half a season. Has awesome physical tools and don’t know why he can’t develop in the more heady aspects. Doesn’t seem dumb, just kind of immature.

13. I like the idea of a healthy Carp at LG too, but there’s a lot of worry surrounding that one. Moffit is below average. He makes too many mistakes, and far too often fails to stick with his block, be it run blocking or pass pro. So far, he’s been underwhelming even for a third round pick. Which is par for the course for Seattle since 2006. Being good enough to start on our line at G means nothing. Its simply means the coaches failed to find anyone better.

The point is, our line’s weakest point the last two years was not RT, but LG and RG. And the playoffs this year really exposed that. McQ is average at best, and the rest are not even close. Giac played better as the year went on, and is above average much of the time. Would it be great to get a really good RT? Hell yeah! BUt not at the expense of fixing the G situation. At the very least, they need another guy with a good chance at winning the starting job, since they seem determined to keep JeanPierre as a backup C and not let him compete for G.

There is hope that between Carp, Moffit, and Sweezy we can find 2 starting G’s, but thats all it is at this point–hope. If one of them gets hurt and one of them struggles, and one is fine, we are still in an ugly situation for the zillionth year in a row.

I sincerely hope that Carpenter kicks butt and plays well next year, the same goes for Moffit/Sweezy. Im just not happy depending on that. And our season very much depends on getting that line to play consistently well.

And yeah, a stud DT like Melton would be a dream come true. Not to mention finding a DE to replace Clemons and/or put pressure opposite Irvin.

14. Thats not to say I think or want Seattle to spend yet another high pick on a G. I just want it figured out YESTERDAY. But RT is far from one of their top needs at the moment.

Im not sure Okafor falls to Seattle, but I would think he’s a prime candidate if he’s there. We could sure use another third round steal like Mebane…

15. banosser says:

Picks and Flynn would get the Hawks up into the top ten…

16. I agree that the biggest need is addressing DE/DT this offseason.
    It would be smart to draft a promising every down DE and get a DT
    in FA since promising DE with good sack numbers will be more expensive ( Cliff Avril). Then, we can address WLB, RG, and WR in that order.
    I almost want them to package our 1st or 2nd round picks with mid round picks for a higher 1st rounder, since they’ve had such a good track record drafting in lower rounds.

17. Not sure the Twins want to give up Flynn and 12 picks for one top 10 pick

18. CDHawkFan says:

Banosser, everything I have looked at in the draft value chart says we can’t jump that far, even if Flynn got us a 3rd and we traded every pick. So I am guessing you are talking out of your 49er?

19. montanamike2 says:

I’ve never agreed with Pabs more than on this one, if Justin Smith is gone the 49′rs crumble and their schedule just got harder. My greatest fear is for CK to get good but he won’t be able to keep up with Wilson.
    We need Dline help baaad, RT? Brenos getting better as the season progresses, we have way too many picks in the 7th round anyways for OT’s. But who the hell knows? In the the last 3 years i’ve only guessed one pick right(Earl Thomas).

20. montanamike2 says:

Oh yeah, i’m super stoked that i can finally buy Madden when it comes out!

21. SandpointHawk says:

@CDHawkFan great line,

“I am guessing you are talking out of your 49er”

22. If the choose to keep most of the draft picks I wouldn’t be surprised to pick up a bunch of late round LB’s, DB’s, and WR’s guys that might be able to fight for a spot on the roster, contribute to STeams and add Depth!!

just thoughts

23. Seahawks2620 says:

Not one of our most pressing needs, but we need people who can catch the ball. Instead of throwing a ton of money at a Wallace/Jennings, I wonder if we could pick up Jared Cook at a reasonable price. He would be a nice complement to Miller.

As far as the D-line goes, I would love for us to sign Randy Starks and draft Okafor. There are so many various ways to improve the pass rush, we can go in so many different directions. However, the one thing we obviously can’t and won’t do is to stand pat. Can’t wait to see what happens. Hopefully we end up with a shiny new DT and DE.

24. Audible says:

“I am guessing you are talking out of your 49er”

Slightly better than talking out your Harbaugh!

25. SaigonSun says:

Avril without Suh is good for up to 2 sacks per season and only if the sackie falls into his arms. Get real.

26. Agree with Duke that given Clemons age and injury an every down DE should be our top priority. But I am hoping Clem makes it back to have another 10+ sack season.

Agree that replacing Breno is not an absolute need, but its close. He is in the last year of his contract and his back-up Frank Omiyale is a free agent. Given Brenos penalties and inconsistent play, it makes good sense to acquire another RT.

I’m not very keen on Cliff Avril, he is a talented pass rusher, but from what (little) I have seen and heard, he is a liability vs. rush. We don’t need another really expensive Bruce Irvin. I would much rather get a complete player in Michael Johnson, Michael Bennet or Paul Kruger.

27. Agree with the suggestions for Melton or Starks at DT.

28. WR is not IMO a position of need, I would stay away from Titus Young and Mike Wallace diva head cases. Draft a WR who can start off doing KR/PR and release Leon (Sorry Leon, I really love you but you have little left to offer as a RB and if we can get similar PR/KR performance on the cheap…..)

29. WLB is probably 2nd priority after an every down DE.

30. Cornutt says:

Guess we’ll find out how valuable Young is, since he’ll be playing in the NFCW. Reasonable gamble imo.

31. banosser says:

CDHawkFan… Maybe you’re right, maybe top ten is a pipe dream (even with Flynn).. then I hope JS/PC get us up to the midteens or so to get the DT/DE we need (they covet).. and it will be imperative to get one or the other via FA…

Don’t ever mean to talk outta my 49er…

32. Is there a blog record for consecutive posts?

33. I dont see Seattle moving into the top 10, but moving up a few spots in round one, or down and then up again in the second could make sense. Depends on how many DT/DE/WR/WLB’s they like are there, and how the draft is falling at the time. I expect them to trade up at least twice, as I have said. They know they cant find spots for 10 guys, so it makes sense to trade with a couple teams that need help everywhere–KC, Jax especially since Bradley is there now, Philly, even the Raiders or San Diego could really use some mid to late round picks to fill in their holes. THose teams are spouting holes like a sieve.

34. I am all for always trying to continue to improve every position on the team (starters/depth). However, I think we have three good guards moving forward (Carp & Mofezy). Again, that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like to add another good one if someone was available later in the draft. With that being said, a back-up safety, back-up LB, back-up T, etc. are all needed too. I’d like to see us improve in all those areas. Granted, we’ll never get to the point of having a perfect team, but we’ll continue to strive for it. While we’re doing it, I’m very comfortable with our three guards moving forward, even if they weren’t overly impressive on the field in 2012.

35. The Browns cut Frostee Rucker because they are going to a 3-4. Dude is pretty good vs the run, and had 4 sacks and 48 tackles. While those numbers arent awesome, they arent awful either. Perhaps he’s worth a look-see?

36. Thanks Cornutt…..

Heres some not totally serious, but thinking out of the box thoughts – how about picking up Brian Urlacher to play MLB and moving Bobby Wagner to WLB? Wagner played OLB in college

Go ahead, I am ready for your ridicule and insults.

37. The Browns were always behind, so four sacks while playing for the Browns is actually pretty impressive. He had four sacks in 2011 also.

38. SandpointHawk says:

Blocis…(tongue in cheek font start)…I believe a cat from Minnesota has the record (18) for consecutive posts concerning a quarterback we needed (and did) pick up in free agency last year. Although some dude from Georgia keeps getting close (15) when he goes on about his man crush for Mr. Wilson. All the old records could very well be broken this off season… :)

39. Actually, I think I once had 19 in a row when talking about our QB from 2 years ago that I hated so badly.

40. SandpointHawk says:

I was close anyway :)

41. Starting Defensive LIne as of this moment:

Leo: Clemons, out indefinitely
    1 tech: Mebane
    3 tech: vacant
    5 tech DE: Red, played with a plantar fascia issue

We’ve got one known starter that’s 100% at this time. That’s a problem. I really hope we get at least 1 top shelf, every down D lineman in free agency and another starter to boot. We will go to the well again in the draft but it always feels a lot better not to be desperate going in. Also, D lineman generally take a few years to show all they’ve got.

I’m envious of St. Louis’ D Line. They have the talent to get pressure consistently rushing 4. I guess 3 on-target 1st round picks should do that. If their O line every becomes a force I’ll be very weary of the Rams. With all of their picks the overall talent level is going to continue to rise. Look out in 2014.

On the 49ers’ Colin K, not taking anything away from him but having the best O Line in football helps. Ask Matt Hasselbeck about that.

42. If we project what will happen though, I think all indications are that Red is going to be 100% for OTAs. That makes two guys who will be 100%. Irvin will either play Leo or back-up Red on 3rd downs. That’s another perfectly healthy player. We know we are going to sign a 3-tech and/or draft one high and we know that player will also be 100%. All we know is that Mr. Happy has said this is his main area of concern (pass rush) and I fully trust that this will get taken care of this off-season. Even though it sucks now, I have full confidence that we will enter 2013 with a good looking defensive line on paper.

43. edstang45 says:

What if the Hawks found a trade partner with say AZ and traded Flynn for Skelton (Kolb paid to much right) and swapped 1st and 2nd round positions??? maybe Jags?? We could get our DE and DT couldn’t we, Maybe Okafor?? maybe who??

44. DanielleMND says:

Kaepernick will be scary good if he can continue to develop to the next level (ESPN says he’ll start his off-season training next week, so he sounds committed). Watching him and RW go against each other for years to come is going to be fun.

45. Audible says:

“Just say a word and the Seahawks are right there”
    “with claws at Kaepernick to send a chill through the night air”
    “Is it so frightening to have Kam & ET at your shoulder”
    “Thunder and lightning couldn’t be bolder”
    “They’ll write on your tombstone, “I thank you for dinner.”
    ” This year we’ll be the divisonal winners”

“Let’s bungle in the jungle — well, that’s all right by me.”
    ” We’re a tiger on the road now.”
    ” And we’re a snake at the Clink you see.”

47. Cornutt says:

I think your iambic pentameter is askew. :P

I like it!!

48. Ewalters7354 says:

One thing I’ve come to learn is you have to allow a guy time to develop.I don’t think it’s fair to write off a player based on a year or two.Golden Tate is a prime example of that.I’m just glad the coaching staff doesn’t think like a lot of us do.If they did Irvin would be labeled a bust after a 8 sack season,Golden Tate would have been traded, Sidney Rice and Zach Miller would both be getting cut because they are highly paid;etc.It would be an absolute mess lol

49. Exactly. Moffitt is fine, even though he’s not as good as everyone wanted him to be last year (especially when you consider the injuries). It’s also amazing that Sweezy is getting as much hate as he’s been getting. He’s a Chris Dielman (I hope that good – but still solid in the future) who moved from DT in college to guard in the NFL and didn’t do overly well in his initial season. We have two young talented players who are going to battle it out for RG this season and yet many people complain about having talent there.

50. SeahawkFan12 says:

Audible said: “Kaepernick is not in the same league as Wilson…as will become even more evident next year.”

TOTALLY AGREE. Kaepernick has one check, and when that doesn’t work, he’s running. He’s Michale Vick with an upgraded suspension, engine and new paint job.

RW will be the hands-down top QB in the NFC West next season (already is, just recognized offically next season).

GO HAWKS!

51. Ewalters7354 says:

I think the problem is some just don’t think these guys are “talented” enough to be on the roster (read STTBM most recent post), when scheme wise the coaches have a vision of what they could be in the future. We often want superstars at every position, and who wouldn’t? But realizing that guys like Moff and Carp are not projects helps also, knowing they have the talent to warrant their draft status.That may not be elite, but I believe with some conditioning, motivation and more coaching,these guys can be quality staters.

52. DanielleMND says:

RW has the better football intelligence, and has the better chance to be a great QB, but I still think Kaepernick can be a very good long-term starter with a little more polishing.

Unlike some here, I don’t think the 49ers peaked on Sunday and now it’s downhill for them. It’s still going to be a dogfight for the NFC West between the ‘Hawks and 49ers, and the Rams aren’t too far off.

53. bbnate420 says:

“He’s set to make $5.25 million in base salary in 2013, $2 million of which is guaranteed. If traded or let go, Flynn’s contract would count about $4 million against the team’s salary cap.” E. Williams

Yet he thinks Flynn will be released if he’s not traded or refuses to restructure. I don’t understand the logic behind this at all. You save 1.25 mil if you release him, and you really don’t save that either. You would then have to sign a backup, which would eat up most if not all of that 1.25 mil. I can see them trading him if they can get decent value, but I can’t imagine them just releasing him. RW possibly getting butt hurt about making 1/10th the money is a imaginary issue IMO. He doesn’t seem to be that type of guy, and he can’t restructure until after 2014 regardless of what Flynn makes. So what does it matter? Any other backup they sign is probably going to be paidn more than him regardless.

54. lksamish says:

Sorry if I sound a little raw, but just opened my season ticket renewal package and found a 31% increase over last season (statistic wise, they took 31% of what I paid last year and added that to what I paid last year, which is a lot extra per game but may be interpretated at a different percentage level)….so, I think they likely have the money to do anything…but not so sure that loyalty factors into anything for them…I know I’ll change my mind over this month, but after supporting them finacially through some pretty lean years…shocked to be treated this way after more than twenty years of being there through thick and thin….I know my income hasn’t kept up with the increase in season ticket prices…but for those that enjoy the game from afar…maybe you have the better idea…here’s hoping they make some stellar offseason choices…

55. Georgiahawk–Great parody! Tull is my favorite band!

56. banosser says:

sitting on a park bench…

57. …runs the alltime loser/headlong to his death…

58. Mebane isnt 100%. His calf injury slowed what was looking like an All Pro season for him right after the Pats game. He never did get back to that level of play, therefore I believe his calf injury from his rookie year is still bothering him.

I went to see him play about 25 years ago in Atlanta, ( very theatrical ) and where the heck did all the time go since then? Lol.

BTW- I still think Flynns future here or elsewhere is mostly up to him.
    There is no competition here anymore at QB. Flynn has no chance to win it unless Wilson has a career ending injury. Flynn will have to fully except his roll as backup moving forward.
    My question is, why should he? My guess is he still thinks he can be a starter elsewhere, and with this years draft supposably weak at QB, this could be one of the few chances left for him to get that starting job, or at least have a chance again to compete for one.
    I really doubt the FO will keep him around, ( even if he is a good backup ) if Flynn makes it clear to them that he wants another chance. Especially if they can get something decent in return for him.

60. Georgia–Heh, youre old…I was ten 25 years ago! I saw them first in 94, then again in 1997 and in 98 and 99. My brother in law and I drove to Salt Lake and saw Anderson and a new band do Thick as a Brick I and II this October. Still worth going to see, even though Ian’s voice is almost as shot as Dylans!

Flynn wants out, you can bet on that. He’s got to go now, or he wont really get a fair shot at becoming a teams starter long-term. But he was beaten fair and square by Wilson, and Seattle has paid him handsomely. I dont see them letting him go for nothing, or for peanuts, this year. But who knows? Perhaps they have a Gentlemans agreement with Flynn like Holmgren had with Dilfer. Perhaps they trade him to the highest bidder, even if its not a high bid. But I think he stays another year as the NFL is ridiculous about refusing to trade picks.

Especially if KC wants him–I believe they are still top of the waiver wire list. Durn! I’d like to see him end up there, and with them re-signing Bowe. Be a good spot for him, with a great RB and WR and fresh staff.

61. sluggo42 says:

FA will dictate a lot of what happens in the draft.

The beauty of this years FA period is that everyone wants to play with a team who stands a really good shot at winning the SB, and guess who that team is?

We saw Fitzgerald snuggling up with RW, and the entire league knows that the hawks are poised for greatness, and who doesn’t want to play for a stacked team? It started last year, but this year cemented that concept. My guess is that we snag a couple of high quality ” pieces” in FA, and then that relaxes the need to reach in the draft, and allows us to take the BPA, or even try to move up a tad to get a real impact player, at any of the luxury positions.

The reason the rich get richer, is that everyone wants to be where the “in-crowd” goes. Playing for the Hawks right now couldn’t be any more attractive than it is right now…

62. ChrisHolmes says:

“I’ll be interested to see if Seattle prioritizes interior or end on the d-line. Each position has become so situational (NT aside) that the line itself as a whole is a muddled hodgepodge of inconsistency. Clem’s injury really exposes that, IMO. As desperately as they need a three down 3-tech, if they identify an every down end, I think that’s where they ought to begin restructuring the line.”

Late to this thread, but I couldn’t agree more. I think an every-down DE is top priority. It would give the DL another weapon, take some pressure off Clemons on 1st and 2nd down, and allow Irving to continue developing without the pressure of having to play 3 downs. And it’s injury protection.

I keep thinking about the Giants wins against the Patriots in those Super Bowls… you can’t have enough good rushing DE’s. You just can’t.

63. ChrisHolmes says:

“My guess is that we snag a couple of high quality ” pieces” in FA, and then that relaxes the need to reach in the draft”

The only way you “reach” for a player in the draft is if you subscribe to conventional thought process about draft value. And I think PC and JS have shown everyone they don’t give a rip about conventional draft wisdom :)

They’re going to do what they’ve done the past two years: identify players who fit their system, fit their needs, who they think can play a role. And then they’re going to draft them based on their own internal value, not what the rest of the league thinks.

64. I haven’t spoken with Bradon to find out if he’s 100% or not. Glad to see some here know. lol