Morning links: Bradley, Bevell making the rounds

Post by Eric Williams on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:54 am with 41 Comments »
January 16, 2013 7:02 am
Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley, left, stands with head coach Pete Carroll, right, on the field during NFL football practice, Thursday, Jan. 10, 2013, in Renton, Wash. Bradley is on the the list of possible candidates for the Philadelphia Eagles head coaching job to replace Andy Reid. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Here’s the latest on the head coaching tour for Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and defensive coordinator Gus Bradley.

Bevell is apparently out in Chicago. ESPN Chicago’s Michael Wright reports that the Bears hired Montreal Alouettes head coach Marc Trestman.

Bradley had a second interview in Philadelphia on Tuesday.

According to reports, Bevell still has interest from Arizona and Jacksonville for those two vacant head coaching jobs.

The Jaguars also are reportedly interviewing Bradley today.

Brian McIntyre of Yahoo Sports provides a nice roundup of all of the candidates for the last three vacant head coaching jobs at Arizona, Philadelphia and Jacksonville, along with vacant GM positions in Cleveland and the New York Jets.

Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports reports that John Idzik, vice president of administration for the Seahawks, is one of at least three finalists for the Jets vacant general manager position. LaCanfora reports that the Jets would like to hire someone by Thursday.

Chris Burke of Sports Illustrated has a nice break down using All-22 film of how Tony Gonzalez got open against Seattle linebacker Bobby Wagner to set up the game-winning field goal for the Falcons.

Brian Baldinger of The NFL Network breaks down Atlanta’s final drive in this video link.

John McGrath of The News Tribune writes that a blowout could have been waiting for Seattle in San Francisco had the Seahawks got past the Falcons. McGrath: “I know, the Seahawks beat these guys silly on Dec. 23. The 49ers, who’d already clinched a playoff spot and were one win from wrapping up the NFC West Division, had little on the line at CenturyLink Field, and played as if nothing (nor anybody) was on the line. And while the Seahawks’ 42-13 victory was sweet, it set up a chance for San Francisco to exact revenge.”

Bucky Brooks of NFL.com gives us his top 50 prospects heading into this year’s NFL Draft.

Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com provides his top 50 draft prospects here.

More Rang: He has Seattle selecting Georgia defensive tackle John Jenkins with the team’s No. 25 overall pick.

Meg Wochnick of The Olympian reports that a Twitter campaign led to Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson visiting Timberline High School baseball player David Padilla at Seattle Children’s Hospital, just two days after Seattle’s loss to Atlanta. The 17-year-old senior is being treated for cancer.

Morning links
  1. sluggo42 says:

The worst thing about turning into an old goat is that ya get sappy. When I read about danger meeting Padilla, the kid with a rare cancer, it pretty much teared me up.

Not only is he a superstar on the field, but off the field as well. We are so lucky to have this kid as our superhero Seahawk!

2. I wish this season would hurry up and get over so we can get to free agency and the draft!

3. princeaden says:

When does the free agency period begin ?

4. boycie99 says:

Heres something to laugh at Bobby while we wait for this season to end and can start the fun and games again of free agency and mock drafts

I think it captures Harbaugh perfectly

5. HawkfaninMT says:

My first hope with regards to the coaching carosel is that we just keep both our coaches… If I had to pick one to keep it would be Bevell due to the conisitency it would afford the offense. If bradley were to go, and Lovie Smith does not get a HC gig, I really hope that Allen opens the wallet up for him. Pete and him both run a version of the 4-3 and could collaborate to make something really special in my opinion.

6. Hammajamma says:

Not sure now that Gus will land in Philly after they let him go to Jax. Not that they feel especially leveraged, but after comparing him to Smith, Billick and Wisenhunt, you’ve pretty much got your yard sticks lined up. I would think that if they felt good, a deal would’ve been part of the day long conversation.

Maybe Gus realizes he’d have a softer landing in North Florida.

princeadon – March 12th.

8. Seahawks2620 says:

If we could grab Smith to be our D coordinator, you have to wonder if he would be able to persuade Melton into coming to Seattle with him.

On a draft note, does anyone have any interest in trading up for Star Lotulelei? I know we covet picks, but not many rookies are going to make this roster. Why not trade a couple to nab a stud of a DT?

9. trout_hound says:

With his personality, I really don’t see Bevell as head coach material. From what I’ve seen, he’s not a guy that can command a room. Besides, I think he’d like another year with Wilson just to see how far those two could take it. Bradley, on the other hand, will be a head coach in this league someday. I just hope its after we hoist up the Lombardi. Definitely don’t want to see him go to Arizona. That would really suck.

10. Fingers crossed that Billick gets a coaching gig somewhere. Tired of listening to his biased drivel.

11. If one of our coordinators goes to AZ, I will puke. How could they do that to Carrol and us fans?! Its not even like AZ will pay them all that well, the Bidwells are notoriously cheap.

Mularkey is out of a job, if we lose Bevell he might be a consideration. Like I said, my nightmare is to end up with Cable calling plays and/or being OC. YUUUUUCK!

If I were Seattle I would do whatever it takes to keep Bevell out of the AZ job. I dont mind seeing Bradley go to Philly, though it will be the second time they stole a young assistant coach; Jim Johnson or whatever coached LB’s under Erickson, we had 11 picks by LB’s that year and lots of sacks…guy went on to be a top DC for the Eagles till cancer took him. Jacksonville is a horrid job, but if Bradley wants it, more power to him.

Bevell is a guy we really cant afford to lose, though I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit admitting that. I want to see what he can do with Wilson for another year or two at least. And I DONT want to see him in AZ!

I would love to get AZ’s DC over here. THAT would be a double coup, for sure.

12. Seahawks2620 says:

Another guy that I would love to see fall to us in the second round would be DeAndre Hopkins. Probably not gonna happen, but I would be ecstatic.

13. Ewalters7354 says:

Deandre Hopkins is a stud.Kinda plays like Sidney Rice from what I seen.

STTBM, Mularkey is a name I would love to possibly replace Bevell.He did a great job with Matt Ryan and the Falcons offense.

Some are mentioning Lovie Smith as DC.I would much rather prefer Rod Marinelli.And before we say he run a different scheme from Carroll, let’s not forget Gus does too at times lol

14. Ewalters7354 says:
  15. Speaking of Arizona – If they aren’t going give Horton the job – what do people think of bringing him here as DC?

He might be willing to do it since our Coordinators are getting jobs or at least interviews – just a thought.

16. Sorry STTBM – didn’t fully read your post to see that you suggested the same thing

17. Ewalters7354 says:

Horton is under contract and the Cards have let it be known he isn’t leaving.

18. Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport
    Chip Kelly is the new coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, according to league sources. No announcement yet.

One more year of Gus and the soft zone! I can’t wait!!

19. Ewalters7354 says:

Twitter reports are saying watch out for Dan Quinn and Joe Barry.

20. Ewalters7354 says:

“One more year of Gus and the soft zone! I can’t wait!!”

Hahaha!

21. Southendzone says:

Ok now that we’ve read about the top 50 prospects, can someone post a link to the crazy off the wall prospects that the Hawks are looking at? You know we won’t touch anyone on that list.

22. CDHawkFan says:

Eric/Dave,

Can you give us some insight to whether or not the Seahawks allow for a player to challenge the coaches/scheme?

It seemed like mid year everyone (media and us) were asking for Bevell/PC to take off the training wheels on RW and they finally did. The fans have been critical of the 4 end of the game D collapses this year (Bears, Detroit, Miami, Atlanta) this year, and on top of this, some of the D players were critical after the Atlanta game (soft D comments). Is there any chance someone like Red/Earl or another player could step up and suggest to Gus a different approach in those situations, or do you feel is more of a ‘do as your told, I know more than you’ so the players don’t say anything kind of an atmosphere around coaches and schemes?

If its obvious to us (wisdom of crowds), I would be surprised that the players don’t feel the same.

23. tchristensen says:

I would not complain if Bevell landed the Arizona head coaching job and then traded Darnell Dockett to Seattle for Matt Flynn. It would fill some of both teams needs. I live in Arizona and get the impression that Dockett has worn out his welcome. Imagine him on Seattle’s defensive line!

24. freedom_X says:

Too bad you’re getting the “soft zone” until Pete Carroll is fired.

25. thursday says:

Wow I thought Chip Kelly had stated he was staying in college. Who’s left on this coaching thing? Arizona, Jax and one other team?

26. abqhwkfn says:

Alex Okafor from Texas is someone id really like to see on this team.

27. trout_hound says:

This is priceless – NFL bad lip reading. Harbaugh: I want cake, and I want it now!!!! Hahahaha.

28. bigmike04 says:

Former Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith is not expected to coach this season. He does not to take a defensive coordinator position and willing to wait until next offseason to find a head coaching position.

thought Bradley lost out on Eagles job, thought might shot with the Jaguars but that depends if he is willing to have tim Teabow because that seem like move that Jaguars might pull off this off season just to sell tickets is to bring Teabow back to Miami area.

29. Horton could come for a increase in Job title – say Asst Head coach – Defense :)

Wishful thinking I guess – and more so, just thinking out loud

30. trout_hound says:

Oops. My bad. Somebody already posted that video. Worth watching twice though.
    Here’s to hoping Bradley and Bevell both stick around. Would like some continuity to continue our surge as the best team in the NFL.

31. thursday says:

Jacksonville management already said they could not imagine a scenario where Tebow would play for them.

32. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

thursday that is jags hoping jets will release him

33. Southendzone says:

That All 22 video of the Gonzales catch was brutal.

I can’t imagine anything more painful, maybe if someone did an article with all-22 footage of when my dog was hit by a car it might come close.

As I think back on it, I would have put RW in on defense for those last 2 plays. He pretty much does everything at a god-like level so there’s no reason to think he wouldn’t have gotten home on a blitz or made an INT in one of those 2 plays.

34. princeaden says:

Thanks Duke :)

35. bigmike04 says:

If I was betting man would say Tim Teabow get cut as he doesn’t want to run the wild cat offensive anymore from what i heard.. Thought is Tim Teabow really a good QB, no just had good talent around him..

36. bigmike04 says:

It appears that Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is the favorite to be named as the new head coach for the Arizona Cardinals.

Read more: http://kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=0#ixzz2IBZAiO76

37. Hey fellas,

Long time reader, first time poster. Thought you all might find this amusing. Saw this today, and it made me laugh a little and forget my Seahawk woes for just a minute.

“you gotta make a 45 degree like this, use froggy voice when you ate old fruit salad… mmmmahhh.”

GO HAWKS!

38. This is very intriguing. If Bruce Arians becomes HC of AZ and wants to bring in his own DC, I wonder if we have a real shot at bringing Ray Horton here? I always thought Horton’s blitzes were awesome in terms of causing confusion and wreaking havoc. And more importantly, when Daryl Washington blitzes, he gets home more times than not. It rattled Tom Brady and our own RW. The hire of Arians may be conditional on him retaining Horton as DC, though.

39. raymaines says:

Yes, the lip reading video is funny. It was especially funny the first time it was posted, not so much the second and really not much at all the third time.

40. Nope. Always funny. Every time.

41. Helenahawk says:

Bradley hired by Jacksonville, per NFL network this morning.