Lynch, 3 other Seahawks named to All-Pro team

Post by Eric Williams on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:18 am with 25 Comments »
January 12, 2013 7:18 am
Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch rushes the ball as center Max Unger blocksin the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Dec. 30, 2012, in Seattle. (AP Photo/Stephen Brashear)

For the first time since the 2005 Super Bowl season, the Seattle Seahawks had four players named to the Associated Press All-Pro team, which was announced this morning.

Running back Marshawn Lynch, center Max Unger, safety Earl Thomas and cornerback Richard Sherman were all named to this year’s Associated Press All-Pro team.

Check out the full list here.

The honor was the first for all four players, and sweet redemption for Sherman – the only one of the quartet not voted to this year’s Pro Bowl. San Francisco had the most players on the team with six, and Seattle was next with four.

Lynch finished with a career-high 1,590 rushing yards during the regular season, No. 3 in the NFL. The Cal product also topped 100 yards 11 times this season, and finished with 11 rushing touchdowns.

Unger anchored a Seattle offensive line that ranked No. 3 in the league in rushing, with the Seahawks averaging 162 yards a contest.

Chicago Bears wide receiver Earl Bennett (80) misses a pass under pressure from Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas (29) and cornerback Brandon Browner (39 in the first half of an NFL football game in Chicago, Sunday, Dec. 2, 2012. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

Earl Thomas has emerged as one of the best safeties in the game in his third season as a pro, finishing with three interceptions, 66 tackles and nine passes deflections. Thomas also returned an interception 57 yards for a touchdown against Buffalo.

And Sherman followed an impressive rookie season by putting together one of the best seasons ever by a Seattle cornerback in team history, finishing tied for second in the NFL with eight interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown. Sherman also returned a blocked field goal 90 yards for a score, and totaled a league-leading 32 pass deflections.

Sherman finished with four interceptions and 55 tackles in 10 starts his rookie season.

“I just play hard, and I play disciplined football,” Sherman said about his impressive year. “That’s what you’re going to get every time I step out on the field. I tried to do it from beginning to end last year – from when I started to when the season ended.

“I tried to do it from start to finish this year, with the season still continuing. I think that’s just how I play. That’s what I want to be known for – the consistency in which I play with.”

The last time Seattle had this many players earn a spot on the All-Pro team was 2005, when running back Shaun Alexander, offensive tackle Walter Jones, offensive guard Steve Hutchinson and fullback Mack Strong all were voted to the team.

Seahawks All-Time AP All-Pro list

Marshawn Lynch2012First team
Richard Sherman2012First team
Ear Thomas2012First team
Max Unger2012First team

Awards and honors
  1. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

seattle is just a better team

Seahawks on Offense
    SEA OFF ATL DEF
    DVOA 18.5% (4) -2.9% (12)
    WEI DVOA 29.5% (1) -2.7% (14)
    PASS 37.4% (4) -2.4% (11)
    RUSH 16.7% (1) -3.6% (20)
    RED ZONE 28.7% (4) -5.1% (10)

Falcons on Offense
    ATL OFF SEA DEF
    DVOA 6.1% (12) -14.1% (4)
    WEI DVOA 4.4% (12) -7.8% (10)
    PASS 23.6% (10) -18.1% (3)
    RUSH -17.1% (29) -8.1% (12)
    RED ZONE -1.5% (17) -32.1% (2)

Special Teams
    SEA ATL
    DVOA 5.7% (3) 0.1% (16)
    SEA kickoff +8.5 (5) +0.8 (13)
    ATL kickoff +9.1 (4) +4.7 (8)
    SEA punts +12.0 (6) -3.7 (21)
    ATL punts -3.0 (19) +1.1 (14)
    FG/XP +1.9 (11) -2.3 (20)

2. All Pro honors mean these players are the best at their position. Remarkable for nearly 20% of the Seahawks starters to be on this list.

3. wow, Unger but not Okung? Hmph. I’m surprised Unger was selected over Pouncey and others. Good for him. I suppose Duane Brown and Clady deserved the nods at LT. I’d like to see Okung show them all who is best in the playoffs.

Hats off to Shermanator, Marshawn and ET! All well deserved.

4. hawkfaninoklahoma – yes, good stuff. Seahawks offense is deadly efficient compared to Falcons. Who would have thought that at the start of the season.

Then again, the only stat that counts is points.

Falcons scored 419
    Seahawks scored 412

Falcons allowed 299
    Seahawks allowed 245 *

5. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

stevos, funny part is falcons never really blew anyone out, rarely dominated a game. i find it funny that they are “all that” when they could barely beat the raiders, have the best receivers yet don’t throw up huge points like NE,GB

6. princeaden says:

When I think of this team compared to Holmgrens teams I have to smile. Looking back at the hits of this season, Kam on Davis, Tate in the Dallas game, Browner on Welker, Robinson on every Mike LB, McCoy, Zack and of course the Beast on and on. This team absolutely wants to punch the opponent in the mouth and “see where they can take it” to coin a Pete phrase. I Love this Team !!

7. JazBadAzz says:

Be humble, We suppose to be here! ~Mike Robinson~

8. Somewhere Tim Ruskell must be smiling. He drafted one of these players and put Seattle in position to draft Earl Thomas with his fleecing of the Broncos.

9. Stevos – The All-Pro Tackle Voting went

Duane Brown, Houston, 27; Ryan Clady, Denver, 19; Joe Thomas, Cleveland, 17; Joe Staley, San Francisco, 11; Russell Okung, Seattle, 6;

10. That is an awesome list of all the Seahawks voted to the all-pro teams over the years. congratulations to our guys this year and I think Max totally deserves this. So does Beast, Sherm and ET.

This team is destined for greatness!!!

GO HAWKS!

11. jawpeace says:

Maybe it is Hawk bias by me but looking at the past list, I shake my head in disgust when I see Walter Jones as a second team. In my opinion he was the best left tackle to ever play the game. Maybe Anthony Monoes(SP?) would be in consideration along with Walter for that. But other than maybe Walter’s first and last season he should have been first team.

12. Walter Jones did not have a Walter Jones type of year in 2006. Maybe it was the revolving door at LG. In 2008, he had a great year but got hurt before the Cowboys game and gave up a bunch of sacks to Ware. That was his last game of his career.

13. jawpeace says:

Pabuwal, I remember his last season and his last game. But 2006?? I don’t remember him given up a bunch of sacks. And remember what Walter said the sacks he did give up minus his last game were the QB’s fault! I still laugh when I think of him saying that.

14. The one’s typically considered to be battling w/Jones for best LT were Ogden and Pace.

15. jawpeace says:

Am I the only Hawk fan conflicted on today’s game between the Packs and 40-whiners. Who do I root for??? I think the Whiners would be easier to beat and travel down to Francisco is closer and warmer. Yet I don’t want hear the whiner fans gloat and I really don’t like the team. However GB is farther, tougher, colder, yet I would really love to go in and shut the Packer fans up, especially those still crying over Tate’s TD. Of course this is all predicated on the Hawks winning in Atlanta which is tomorrow, so who do I root for today?

16. jawpeace – yeah, me too. I cannot root for the Niners. Gotta hate on them. But I can’t root for the Packers, since I would not want to travel to GB in January.

The superstitious side of me says we shouldn’t even be thinking about this. All that matters is we win tomorrow.

17. thursday says:

My thought is that we might not be as adept in stopping the run without Clem and that I’d rather play the Packers. But maybe I just want to see the Whiners get beat no matter who’s doing the beating lol

18. JazBadAzz says:

Jawpeace- root for whoever you think the best team is, because we got to beat the best (AGAIN) to be the best! I hoping for a blowout from either team, and then we go in and dismantle them! GoHawks!

19. JazBadAzz says:

Im leaning towards packers winning, I got a lot of family and friends that are whiners fans and they are horrible winners!

20. This is a great Hawks video, BeastMode & Coach Pete

I’m embarrassed for everyone involved with that video, despite their passion.

22. MoSeahawk12 says:

The video is done in a clearly goofy manner and it looks like they had fun making it. Winning brings out all kinds of passion in fans and I say good for them. It’s no worse than any song you would hear on pop radio. The only thing that would have put it over the top would to have had Moffitt in it. He would fit right in.

23. jawpeace says:

All I got to say about that video is WOW!

24. sluggo42 says:

Lol, moffit should have been in it

25. MoSeahawk12 says:

I agree with Dukeshire on an earlier post he made regarding our coordinators having job interviews with other teams today. This really bugs me as we are about to play one of the biggest games in franchise history and as fans we are being told “All In” Players are told this is a business trip and are to be focused on the Falcons. This is a Seahawks business trip and I don’t think our O coordinator and D coordinator should be conducting business in regards to other teams. Sure Caroll says all the right stuff about it being an honor and he’s glad our guys are getting attention from other teams for head coaching jobs and it’s a big deal.

But you can’t tell me the Eagles and Chargers had to speak with these guys today. Monday-Tuesday are players day off, why not then? They can say this isn’t a distraction, but it has to be. The players can read all about it and wonder if they will be losing their coach. Now, they should be focused enough on the job at hand and block it out, but its human nature to be curious about these situations and how they could affect any given player.

I also wonder how much time these guys will spend doing the interviews. When I read that the Browns spend 6-7 hours interviewing Chip Kelly from Oregon, do Bradley and Bevel really have that kind of time to give on the eve of a huge, potential Super Bowl advancing opportunity? I don’t like it!