Morning links: Alfred Morris no longer a hidden gem

Post by Eric Williams on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:30 am with 52 Comments »
January 5, 2013 7:44 am
Washington Redskins running back Alfred Morris runs during the first half of an NFL football game Sunday, Dec. 30, 2012, in Landover, Md. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)

Doug Baldwin tried alerting his team to a talented running back that would be available at the late in of the draft, detailed in my story today.

The Seahawks receiver grew up in Pensacola, Fla., playing youth football and sharing spaghetti dinners made by Baldwin’s mother with Washington’s Alfred Morris.

“He was actually a hard-hitting linebacker, and I was the running back,” Baldwin said. “He was always aggressive, but very light-mannered; to himself and quiet. He never really was outwardly aggressive except on the football field.”

The Florida Atlantic University product was on Seattle’s radar, but the Redskins snapped him up in the sixth round, and as they say, the rest is history.

At 5-9 and 220 pounds and running a 4.67 at the scouting combine, Morris didn’t have great size or speed. But he beat out Tim Hightower, Evan Royster and Roy Helu for the starting job in the preseason, and churned out 1,613 yards and 13 touchdowns this season, proving a perfect fit for Washington’s zone blocking scheme.

Rod Mar of Seahawks.com has a nice shot of Seattle fans turning out to send the team off near Sea-Tac airport.

And the 12th Man Flag is flying at the top of The Space Needle.

Don Ruiz of The News Tribune writes that the Seahawks are about as healthy as they can be heading into the playoffs.

Danny O’Neil of The Seattle Times details the Seahawks issues on the road during the playoffs.

Jim Moore of 710 ESPN Seattle likes the Seahawks big over the Redskins, 27-10. Moore: “I sincerely hope that RG III is fully recovered next week when the Redskins’ season is over. But this week? To be honest, I hope his knee gives him problems. He didn’t look as mobile against the Cowboys. He also didn’t throw the ball as well as he usually does, completing a season-low 50 percent of his passes.”

Art Thiel of Sportspressnw.com notes that exactly zero Seahawks were alive when the Sonics won the city’s only major sports championship in 1979. The Seahawks are staying at the same hotel in D.C. that the Sonics stayed in when they defeated the Washington Bullets for the NBA title.

Doug Clawson of ESPN’s Stats & Info blog provides some statistical background on the frequency of Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III and the number of times that he’s been hit running the ball, which has went down the second half of the season. So Griffin has done a better job of sliding so he doesn’t get hit as much.

But here’s the number I found interesting: The Seahawks have faced 12 options rushes this season from the San Francisco 49ers and Carolina Panthers, allowing 3.3 yards per rush and only two first downs (league average is six yards per run).

Jim Trotter of Sports Illustrated profiles Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson in this in-depth piece. There’s some interesting nuggets of information there about what happened during the three-man quarterback competition leading up to the regular season.

Mike Silver of Yahoo Sports takes a look back at how Pete Carroll and John Schneider have put together a roster that has the Seahawks in the playoffs for the second time in three seasons.

Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. previews the Hawks-Redskins game here after his film study of both teams. His key positional battle is Seattle’s offensive line vs. Washington’s defensive line, and how the Seahawks handle the Redskins’ zero blitzes. You must be an ESPN Insider to view this.

Jim Corbett of USA Today does his best to scrape together some bulletin board material for the Seahawks. He reports that defensive tackle Kedric Golston called Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman a cheater for testing positive for a banned substance. Sherman’s four-game suspension was reversed by the league after he won his appeal.

Check out this movie trailer-like video pumping up the matchup between RGIII and Russell Wilson.

Eric Adelson of Yahoo Sports writes that Washington running back Alfred Morris provides proof that NFL scouts still miss on guys every year in the draft.

Rick Maese of The Washington Post examines how Seattle’s defense will handle Robert Griffin III and the Redskins’ potent offense.

Morning links
  1. bbnate420 says:

We already had Turbin. Impossible to say what he could do with 335 carries like Morris had. Not saying he would’ve done the same or better. Having RGIII’s ability to run helped him. You could say the same about Lynch and RW, but Lynch already had a resume before RW. Morris was a great find, no doubt to me.

You can’t tell me that doesn’t pump a team up, seeing all those people lining the streets to send them off. There are a ton more pics on the Seahawks Instragram page. So damn cool.

That Trotter piece is a really fun read. Nice job.

4. TomlPDX says:

Wild Card Weekend is here! Are you ready for some football!

I had Morris on my fantasy team and sometimes he lit it up and other times he fell flat on his behind. He was solid throughout the regular season though and I expect him to be tough to catch by our D. We need to bring our A+ game to keep him in check.

Zero Seahawks were alive when the Sonics won the city’s only major sports championship in 1979?

Now I know I’m getting old. Lol.

6. montanamike2 says:

Positively he had more carries because of RG3, also i wonder how many yards/ TD’s Lynch really had if his o-line didn’t get so many f’n penalties? Interesting that this is the 1st time in NFL history that 2 teams went into the playoffs with a 5+ game winning streak. The only difference is who we played ahem ahem.
    Thiel’s piece on the hotel where the players are staying and how the only team to bring home a championship were the 1979 Sonics, to me that’s a good omen. Am i the only one that finds it funny that our capital is so politicly correct that it changed the name Bullets but it didn’t think that the name Redskins is offensive? At least our team is respectful. I can’t wait until tommorow, i bet i wake up at 2:30 or something.

7. IdahoHawk says:

LET’S GO SEAHAWKS. LET’S GO SEAHAWKS . Show up and play like you know how

8. Vegas56 says:

For young players with talent, opportunity is a huge factor. Morris is lucky we didn’t draft him…just think, the guy who finished second in the league in rushing would have been buried on our depth chart, and maybe even on our practice squad. If he were on our roster today, he might still be the third best RB. That could be a clue to the game right there.

9. Ewalters7354 says:

I for one am not on the Morris bandwagon.He is a good player and all, but he isn’t anything special.The Browns did a pretty good job on him (27 carries, 87yrds, 3.2 ypc) in RG3’s absence, though he had two 2tds.Kinda reminds me of Shonn Greene with the way he runs.

It’s also been stated several times about how the hawks did against option teams, and let’s not forget Cam Newton was actually healthy.So facing a skinny,gimpy RG3 doesn’t have me worried.

If anything though, I’m concerned that the offense may struggle early and allow the Skins to hang around.Hope not.

10. montanamike2 says:

Ewalters7354 i agree that he’s pretty good but if he has 1 good run then Marshawn gets competitive and angry! I’ve seen this happen over and over. Turbin might be a better fit for us in his backup role.

11. Ewalters7354 says:

Am I the only one who feels Green Bay isn’t a Super Bowl caliber team? I understand they have A-rod, good receivers, and Clay Matthews. But what else? Cris Carter just said it perfectly about how the only time they are good is when ALL their receivers are dominating.Those crybabies are very overrated.

12. montanamike2 says:

I agree again. They’re still crying about that call, how about finishing off the Vikings and securing the second seed?
    Green Bay is on the Decline, thank god it’s us who’s filling the void.

13. Ewalters7354 says:

Sir yes Sir Montana! Now that’s a RB that scares the crap outta people lol.Turbin is also with my agreement a better back-up.He is just as physical,very fast, and a pretty
    darn good catcher.Pete loves players with unique qualities and Turbo fits that.Morris, not so much.

14. Ewalters7354 says:

That Morris part was in regards to Baldwin wanting the hawks to draft Morris.

15. thursday says:

Good someone else who calls them (Green Bay) crybabies besides me lol. I have never cared for them too much, but I really can’t stand them after they acted like a bunch of whiners after that MNF game. If they don’t lose today, I hope the other whiny team beats them

Seahawks vs Vikings at home for the NFC championship game!

Ok, one game at a time. One game at a time. ” Slowly inhale, now exhale.

17. thursday says:

Two guys on NFL Network just said we were the most likely team playing in this round to make it to the Super Bowl. And I liked Michael Irvin saying that he would have been intimidated by our corners and that other receivers undoubtedly are also

18. Georgia, I like the way you think!

19. thursday says:

So I’ve been thinking about the Seahawks “road curse” and I kinda came to a conclusion that it’s a myth. I think the reason it gets a big deal made of it is because of how good they are at home, even when they’re BAD. After all, the 2005 Seahawks went 3-5 on the road, the 2010 Packers went 3-5 on the road. 3-5 on the road is not a bad stat especially when you’ve gone 8-0 at home.

Frankly, the Seahawks over the years have mostly been mediocre teams with great homefield advantage. Of course they’re not going to win on the road. Other similarly mediocre teams may not have such a great homefield advantage so their road/home wins balance out more.

SO I’m not worried about this team having to win on the road in the playoffs, because if they are really a good team, and I believe they are, they will find a way to win no matter where they are.

Go Hawks!

20. I believe, off the top of my head, that the 2005 Seahawks were 5-3 on the road.

21. thursday says:

whoop you’re right lol, got the numbers switched around in my head

22. Southendzone says:

EWalt: that was a fun read, Thanks!

This team feels different from 2005. To me that felt like Holmgren’s team. This year I don’t think of it as Carroll’s team more like just a galvanized group of super tough players who’ve all got each others back.

There’s no prima donna (shawn alexander) playing for himself. There’s hardly anyone with playoff experience. This team is full of under-appreciated, looked over hungry players with a lot to prove.

2005 was a magical run. If the Hawks get it done this weekend, we’re looking at a whole new level.

GOOO HAWKS!

23. bbnate420 says:

Funk GB. Good thing they have plenty of Cheese in Wisc. for their WHINE!!!!!!!!

24. The other difference with this team from other Seahawks teams is that they have become a significantly different team in the second half of the season than they were in first part. Growing experience, maturity, confidence and the coaches opening the play book has fundamentally changed this team into something altogether different. You have to throw out their first half stats and record with this team. They are a different team now.

25. CDHawkFan says:

Guessing its more the Shanahan effect than overlooked talent, he has made a few late RB picks 1,500 yard backs in Denver.

I don’t see Minn winning today. GB will roll them up, IMO, although I’ll be rooting for the Viks. If we’re talking about super Bowl “frauds” that are playing today, Houston is at the top of the list (again, IMO).

27. pabuwal says:

I have Minnesota in my 45:1 prop bet this weekend.

28. pabuwal says:

Meant parlay, not prop.

29. In 2005, Seattle was 5-3 on the road. One loss was to the Redskins, with the help of several utterly bogus PI calls that extended drives. A tough loss, after which the Hawks won 11 straight, before losing on the road to GB with all the starters out in the second half, and a conservative game plan. We were 13-3 that year, and a very good team on the Road. Our two losses on the road were in the first month of the season and in a game that didnt matter. We beat a very good Dallas team on the road when we didnt play all that well.

Im waiting to compare this team to that one until we get to the NFC Title game. Just like then, we play the Redskins. I want to see us dominate, but I will take a 1 point win gladly. I just cant stand the thought of losing to them.

Who did play Minn with? 45:1?

31. pabuwal says:

I took the money line on both underdogs today and both favorites to cover tomorrow.

The Seahawks weren’t a good road team in 2005. They lost to the only 3 good teams they played away from Seattle.

32. thursday says:

wow sounds like ponder could be out for the game tonight. there goes their chances mostly likely…

33. pabuwal says:

I like Joe Webb but I don’t think he got much practice reps the week.

The money line is +375 for Minn. What is 45:1? Curious.

35. pabuwal says:

The parlay on the 4 bets I mentioned above. But Andy Dalton will need more than 10 yards passing for me to have a shot.

I got it. Misread what you were trying to say. If you were in Vegas or AC you might get that closer to 47 or so, not that Cinci is helping you.

37. pabuwal says:

What quality arm strength, pocket presence and accuracy from that Andy Dalton.

Imagine Russell Wilson with AJ Green.

Jay Gruden should be a Head Coach just based on making Dalton look like a competent NFL QB.

38. thursday says:

some of those passes to AJ Green were just sad. meanwhile, this Webb guy isn’t looking too bad, the Packers don’t appear to be very savvy on dealing with the read option so far lol

39. pabuwal says:

I had to put some on the Vikings for the money line.

40. I will laugh SOOOO hard if GB losses to Minn today. Ponder out (Webb got most of the snaps this week) – then they can’t complain about “the call” anymore but I am sure they will say how we have complained about the refs since SB 40

41. pabuwal says:

They will still complain about the call.

42. thursday says:

they totally will. the butthurt will never end if the vikings beat them tonight.

43. this game is a letdown with Webb starting. losing your starting QB is a lot to overcome against a team that’s going to score like GB. oh well.

44. Vegas56 says:

Letdown for the Viks indeed, Seahawks will have to shred that road curse forever this year.

45. Watching the Vikings struggling with Joe Webb at QB gives me bad flashbacks to Tarvaris Jackson. My god I’m glad we found Russell Wilson.

46. thursday says:

i guess it’s fate, we have to take the road all the way through the super bowl

47. T-Jack would have led Minny to a win tonight. Sad to say, because I really like Webb, but the guy didnt play this year, and has a lot to learn; going up against the Pack with all their WR’s healthy for the first time in ages when you beat them last week is a tall order for a pine-rider like Webb.

Personally, I would love to have Webb as our #3 qb, but he aint gonna win a playoff game this year.

48. Heh, PFT wants to anoint the Pack as the Super Bowl champions right now…bleep that! Lot of football left to go!

49. I don’t think any QB could have led that Minnesota team to a win over these Packers at Lambeau. Glad to have them weeded out of the playoffs.

Packers, Niners, Falcons, Seahawks, Patriots, and Broncos. Those are the teams I want to see. The others are just in the way.

50. pabuwal says:

After the first drive, the Vikings decided to have Joe Webb run the Christian Ponder offense and mostly went away from Joe Webb’s strengths. That’s the danger of having a backup QB with a different skillset than the starting QB. I’d hate to see Flynn running Wilson’s offense and the other way around.

51. Very true, pabuwal. Still, I like to think Flynn could be very effective if he has to come in and play. I like our chances.